Jump to content

Sydney to Hobart 2019


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Windy tracker is also working this year: https://gis.ee/sh/  

Maybe they can fix the AIS transmitter while the mast is down?

I'm involved in that my name is on the boat, to which someone has attached a keel which it was not designed to carry, issuing a construction method we would never agree to use and have refused to in t

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, Varan said:

Dave Kellett has an article in the January 2020 issue of Seahorse describing reasons for using HF to check-in during this race. One statement about not using technology that removes static because it may "weaken" signals and wanting to have the best possible reception seemed a bit contradictory, but overall, it was a good read, especially in light of what was discussed here. Moreover, he acknowledged the emerging role of newer technologies... "Certainly, in Bass Straight we still need the sat phones as a back-up for HF". Others may argue it should be the other way around, but it is their show, as are the responsibilities that come with running the event.

Now back to the race in progress...

 

Well the last part is complete bullshit.

He might want to call Tas Maritime (the private radio group not the govt department) and ask them.

Not that they would know anything

Link to post
Share on other sites

BJ is going north  now .Hope its just a glitch on tracker

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprise surprise,

With the winds that's normally get's your engines going because you are going backwards on the currents,
This graph shows the world record is way ahead.

How come?
It is about LDV Comache 2017,,,,
Record.PNG.b3de4aae077903a249a2a742cb4b470a.PNG
 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ricko called it in his pre race interview:

“If you position your yacht in the right spot for that change, and your opposition doesn’t get it right, then you might gain 50 or 60 miles over them.”

The reason everyone hates on Oats is that kind of hubris. if they were more humble (and less Mundle) in their communications then we all wouldn’t take so much pleasure when they get beaten down. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Liquid Assett NZ said:

Oats is toast somethings broken

Cruel but true. What happened?
331138204_12.5hoursracingS2H2.PNG.6d408156973fd2712db131713a33b524.PNG

652510838_12.5hoursracingS2H.PNG.cba25acf643dbcd027373ffefc66660c.PNG652510838_12.5hoursracingS2H.PNG.cba25acf643dbcd027373ffefc66660c.PNG
At least they have a quite and sleep full night.
Any thing might happen, It's racing. you can hire us, to win really...
We always did.
https://www.marin.nl/
But we can't predict the wheather forecast.
Best educated guess that's all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Cruel but true. What happened?
331138204_12.5hoursracingS2H2.PNG.6d408156973fd2712db131713a33b524.PNG

652510838_12.5hoursracingS2H.PNG.cba25acf643dbcd027373ffefc66660c.PNG652510838_12.5hoursracingS2H.PNG.cba25acf643dbcd027373ffefc66660c.PNG
At least they have a quite and sleep full night.
Any thing might happen, It's racing. you can hire us, to win really...
We always did.
https://www.marin.nl/
But we can't predict the wheather forecast.
Best educated guess that's all.

They hired the best to re-evaluate their appendage package and it didn’t work out. Not sure how Marin would help? That’s an honest question as there aren’t examples of racing yacht optimization on the English website.

My take is removing the asymmetric boards turned into a larger performance penalty in reaching conditions than the Oats camp expected...coupled with complete re-build and limited sailing time with their new foil/sail package to determine crossover points and of course sailing into a hole, it’s little surprise the other boats are ahead. Still, plenty of racing left.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LionessRacing said:

They just slowed up for an R/P family photo op, waiting for the sun angle now... image.png.ea021de1167ab4b03e773404830797ac.png

That is fucking crazy, WOXi Heading north.
That happened, nothing about the technilogical reason, not on the S2H site, facebook their own presitigeous site.
I think it's over for them. Not to be too cruel, it's reality.
Woxi.thumb.PNG.577fcc84be13fedac4a66cf7eb43b5ca.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

I hate to ask but... WOXI broken or sour grapes?

My guess is she just took a wrong turn. Let’s face it, we’ve all sailed ourselves into shitty races from time to time. It still amuses me though!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Liquid Assett NZ said:

Somethings not right 

They are too flabbergasted to say about what happened.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Monkey said:

My guess is she just took a wrong turn. Let’s face it, we’ve all sailed ourselves into shitty races from time to time. It still amuses me though!

Yeah just sailed into the hole from hell and they maybe broke or haven't got the sail/ foil/moding right seem to be away again but absolute dog tucker

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Liquid Assett NZ said:

Yeah just sailed into the hole from hell and they maybe broke or haven't got the sail/ foil/moding right seem to be away again but absolute dog tucker

That is what Jimmy Spithill said when he was sailing against a better team.
remember, He also said: well they sailed a shorter course, But it's around the bouys, this isn't.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Schakel said:

That is what Jimmy Spithill said when he was sailing against a better team.
remember, He also said: well they sailed a shorter course, But it's around the bouys, this isn't.

 

Absolutely. Oats have really stuffed this one 

 

Today they are a "Featherduster"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

About the SSB filters/digital processing losing weaker signals.  Yes that's true - but on this race where you are trying to talk hundreds of miles not 1000s I don't think weak signals are a big deal are they?

I had an Icon 718 - cheapest ham radio ICOM makes. It had far more ability to filter weak signals than a typical SSB, which is really designed for simple operations.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Liquid Assett NZ said:

Absolutely. Oats have really stuffed this one 

 

Today they are a "Featherduster"

Let the trolls begin. I don't like them.
He is the greatest
@mad

Link to post
Share on other sites

@ mad,

You are so an incredible asshole, your own mother wouldn't recognise  you after I raped you.
He is an aquitantance of mine: served in the same student society, He didn't make it. Thet's why he's so frustrated.

 

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, the saint said:

Some kiwi's know how to hold a grudge.

 

Then you are wise,
Good night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Schakel said:

@ mad,

You are so an incredible asshole, your own mother woud't recognise you after I raped you.
He is an aquitantance of mine: served in the same student society, He didn't make it. Thet's why he's so frustrated.

 

Whoa! That went south so fast!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Whoa! That went south so fast!

To the southern cross.
122105568-the-constellation-southern-cross-in-the-night-starry-sky-vector-illustration-of-the-concept-of-astro.thumb.jpg.9634d5a7e68e5b8662a0f9c36dfa9cb1.jpg
Was that too heavy? sorry in advantage. Always being polite.
@Mad

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just after the start but before the first rounding mark, Scallywag tacked from port onto starboard to a lee bow position which forced WOXI to tack away.  Does anyone know if WOXI might have raised a protest flag for "tacking too close"?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did they find the "broken tracker switch" again ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fast Laser said:

Just after the start but before the first rounding mark, Scallywag tacked from port onto starboard to a lee bow position which forced WOXI to tack away.  Does anyone know if WOXI might have raised a protest flag for "tacking too close"?

I’d be waiting 30 hours or so to see where they all finish, then see what happens with that one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They , the trolls are mosly like that.
1943273467_mad3.thumb.PNG.b867ea6f84ffee72234c354e9eb3eea8.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Liquid Assett NZ said:

Here comes a new tricky bit

BJ and info chewing up the lead again

Let's focus to the race.

Not the assholes.
@mad

 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Sorry if it's been mentioned but

For those that like the peoples race.... Adventures of a sailor girl facebook page went live after the start to film the mid fleet boats... Some good footage....

Hope you enjoy

Racing get going, adventures of a sailor girl  gett going.

Why bother?

 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Racing get going, adventures of a sailor girl  gett going.

Why bother?

 

Right  bloody well right,
 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Sorry if it's been mentioned but

For those that like the peoples race.... Adventures of a sailor girl facebook page went live after the start to film the mid fleet boats... Some good footage....

Hope you enjoy

Yep, I posted the live links as each new battery went in and heard them thank you for driving them (and keeping the boat the right way up)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bayboy said:

Good race so far and I wouldn't write off Oats just yet this could be a close race still by the end...

With a 30m deficit I’m impressed with their spirit. I would’ve rated them a high chance of “this fully sucks, let’s go home.”
but I reckon if you can go on, then go on, and they are. So goodonem. Because I reckon it feels better to try and to lose than to just give in because you don’t like not going well and it sure is sometimes when it’s not working out so good, (of course sometimes for safety etc one must pull the pin) and like a friend says, “if you’ve tried and your competitors beat you then you give them that satisfaction.” 

At the end of the day, it’s all  just Competitive fun, if you must sit around on a boat for days. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Whoa! That went south so fast!

Why Bother,
 

It's just a game,

 I know who you are. Allard.

 It's full  of  aggresion

Not the nicest thing to do,
You do not, And I repeat, You do not, whish to be where the criminals are.
You are not, They are,  Criminolagist ,, report from own county are good.
Deal with it.

I 'll send you own  e- Mail
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Why Bother,
 

It's just a game,

 I know who you are. Allard.

 It's full  of  aggresion

Not the nicest thing to do,
You do not, And I repeat, You do not, whish to be where the criminals are.
You are not, They are,  Criminolagist ,, report from own county are good.
Deal with it.

I 'll send you own  e- Mail
 

Maybe lay off posting until you sober up. 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kawalski said:

Maybe lay off posting until you sober up. 

Untill he sobers up.
I know the real case,

Trained for Vor,  Didn't make the Uni, Trust me.
If you hire him I do no bother.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Schakel said:

Untill he sobers up.
I know the real case,

Trained for Vor,  Didn't make the Uni, Trust me.
If you hire him I do no bother.

 

Didn't make it, do not bother
Because he was too lazy and too  stupid for high ingtellgent life , Do You want to  visit Mad?
I have  photographs of him.
Don't do you do like "Master of alle Puppets" because he is a retard.

Do you want me to send me some photo's in a very backed warded joint where here frenquelty joins in?
 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, LionIsland said:

With a 30m deficit I’m impressed with their spirit. I would’ve rated them a high chance of “this fully sucks, let’s go home.”
but I reckon if you can go on, then go on, and they are. So goodonem. Because I reckon it feels better to try and to lose than to just give in because you don’t like not going well and it sure is sometimes when it’s not working out so good, (of course sometimes for safety etc one must pull the pin) and like a friend says, “if you’ve tried and your competitors beat you then you give them that satisfaction.” 

At the end of the day, it’s all  just Competitive fun, if you must sit around on a boat for days. 

Why

30 miles is a hour at pace so not far behind really

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Varan said:

Indian first in, and maybe first out of the abyss, with better angle too. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Agree, maybe an hour or 2 till they light up & gone ...........  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's just hope they do not do a Charal (or a Munson for you bowling fans).

BTW, From sail-world...

The new line honours leader is SHK Scallywag (HKG) who leads the former race leader, Comanche by 1.5nm. More importantly SHK Scallywag is heading back to the rhumbline to Hobart, and just after 0600hrs was sailing at the fastest speed of 13kts, however that has cut back to 6kts in the mid-morning, however she still leads the overall standings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, kawalski said:

Maybe lay off posting until you sober up. 

Mad won't sober up.
He's a mad dog. Be warned

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oneiron said:

I’d be waiting 30 hours or so to see where they all finish, then see what happens with that one. 

More than a bit of chutzpah if they did after tacking ON Commanche in the past. Scally was clear ahead and on the lee bow, not on their line

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Even Australian Sailing’s fucked up nonsense can’t save Oats!  
 

I’m a Comanche fan, but I’m kind of pulling for Scallywag now!

Don’t bet on it look at the jury

so scallywag gets line honours but oats lodges a protest on the harbour incident despite showing no flag

Richo lodges the protest by finding the chairman of the jury in the bar at 0200hrs

protest accepted

 

Sorry wrong race!

 

Jury says but it is alright Mark you always intended to fly a flag and DWitt should have known you intended to fly a flag but if you go back to the boat now and fly the flag we will say that was flown as soon as practicable

We don,t need a hearing as we will accept everything you say and look this is pretty clear cut so we don’t need to hear from dwitt or his witnesses

Sorry wrong race again

but mark you can have line honours again and we have just held a rule 69 against dwitt and banned him for a year and we will tell him later

that will solve that pesky problems about untested allegations of rrs 69 breaches

wrong race again sorry silly me

Link to post
Share on other sites

Went out for a while, back inside and Oats is toast is right. But they are moving again. I think I will favor  Black Jack as there are a bunch of Kiwis on board. Watched the video of the start, and a bit of blurb about Kialoa, and later Fidelis. I remember Fidelis from the early days. Jim Davern owned and sailed her against Ron Neil on Carmen. Davern Homes and Neil Housing, both in New Lynn, Auckland and about 2 miles apart. My brother worked for Daverns for a while, and our house in Auckland was built by them. Ron Neil died at age 48. Will stay tuned for the rest of the race, but think it will be tomorrow lunch time for the finish. BC time.

Link to post
Share on other sites