Jump to content

Sydney to Hobart 2019


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Windy tracker is also working this year: https://gis.ee/sh/  

Maybe they can fix the AIS transmitter while the mast is down?

I'm involved in that my name is on the boat, to which someone has attached a keel which it was not designed to carry, issuing a construction method we would never agree to use and have refused to in t

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, lydia said:

Shaggy, you got that wrong, what is the chance of an rqys crew being involved in a protest

can’t wait for the bar fight

Take it to whiny cunt Anarchy!  We all know Shaggy was done wrong. We got that on your fourteen thousandth post about the issue. Either do something about the issue, or quit pouting!

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, lydia said:

Shaggy, you got that wrong, what is the chance of an rqys crew being involved in a protest

can’t wait for the bar fight

Which is applicable, RRS or Marquis of Queensberry rules?

karma is a funny bitch sometimes

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Big logjam off Cape Raoul at the moment.

It could get bigger...... And the tide is just about to start ebbing....... I spent an afternoon down there in an S2H many years ago, doing 1.5 knots through the water and 0.0 knots SOG.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, gravy waltz said:

From the official website:

The following protest will be held at the Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania on Sunday 29 December 2019 at 1500 hours

75th Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race

1.    Quest v Envy Scooters

That's in 5 hours time.

Envy Scooters - Envy Scooters has been protested by Quest for a breach of RRS Part 2 in an incident at Mark V in Sydney Harbour.  According to the CYCA Web site.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Which is applicable, RRS or Marquis of Queensberry rules?

karma is a funny bitch sometimes

Oh great.  Hobart thread turns into protest fuckery thread.  And not a Mrs. Squidward in sight!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Wind on top of Tasman Island can be different to wind directly below.

True enuff, but obs for Maria Island are consistent with Tasman, so I reckon the tracker is the one that's got it wrong!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tasman Island and the Iron Pot must be a sight.! It's a real log jam. Might be time for some of them to open a beer if they have any  given that racing is technically over for some some of them in terms of handicap. The whole end of Tassie is beautiful and tactically challenging at times.

P.S. Spare a thought for some of the end markers they have 250 miles to go and some of them are doing 0.5 Knots..! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Tasman Island and the Iron Pot must be a sight.! It's a real log jam. Might be time for some of them to open a beer if they have any  given that racing is technically over for some some of them in terms of handicap. The whole end of Tassie is beautiful and tactically challenging at times.

P.S. Spare a thought for some of the end markers they have 250 miles to go and some of them are doing 0.5 Knots..! 

New Year's Eve in sight of Constitution Dock is no fun at all

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Al Paca said:

Because it’s in a third world country. Lots of fuckery in governments, businesses and other official organizations. 

I wouldn’t go that far. But it just always seems like there’s a lot of frog in the well kind of nonsense from folks who are probably still drunk from Christmas. 

Like every now and then there’s a highlight about some Corinthians campaigning from Middle Sea to Fastnet to SH and they seem to have the right perspective compared to these jackos racing for nothing but pretending like there’s a million dollar price for their corrected time #16 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

Windy tracker is showing southerlies at Tasman Island, while BoM observations show NNE?

 

1 hour ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Wind on top of Tasman Island can be different to wind directly below.

 

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

True enuff, but obs for Maria Island are consistent with Tasman, so I reckon the tracker is the one that's got it wrong!

That is because Windy free version only has the GFS model which is useless in Aust, $ will get you the Euro (ECMWF) model (or a customised version from day PW) which this race was the closest I observed. If WOXI had used it and not BOM's pay for view then they would not have gone down that rabbit hole on Friday morning. I'm hoping Vila wanted to go left but the walking hair do over ruled him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

 

 

That is because Windy free version only has the GFS model which is useless in Aust, $ will get you the Euro (ECMWF) model (or a customised version from day PW) which this race was the closest I observed. If WOXI had used it and not BOM's pay for view then they would not have gone down that rabbit hole on Friday morning. I'm hoping Vila wanted to go left but the walking hair do over ruled him.

Thanks for the explanation Jack.  I just refreshed the Windy tracker and lo!  the wind now agrees with the Windy.ty site.  But after 20 minutes without updating, the tracker finally clicked over to "33 seconds ago", but didn't update the positions or the info for the boat I'm watching.  Still shows the same DTG as 20 minutes ago, which seems unlikely.  Oh well, it's free, so no complaining!

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

That is because Windy free version only has the GFS model which is useless in Aust, $ will get you the Euro (ECMWF) model (or a customised version from day PW) which this race was the closest I observed. 

The real Windy does NOT have a paid version, and it surely has the ECMWF model.

There is hacked (Russian) Windy that has a paid version which is a scam!

I believe that @forss use of Windy in his tracker is only for the GFS model. Use the Windy app and you'll find a host of useful data, such as wind gusts, waves and swell, reported wind with a graph of the station, etc., etc. It's the most comprehensive weather source ever, in a user friendly format. It totally rocks, and all users should make a voluntary donation!

Screenshot_20191229-144916.thumb.png.bbd53c4bc80af056bc168939e9a88602.png

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Irrespective of the protest itself one wonders whether it would have been lodged if it wasn’t 4th v 3rd?

The guys on the protesting yacht are thoroughly professional and seasoned campaigners. They’re not in the habit of tossing out protests for frivolous causes, or to get bumped onto the podium.

 

Especially given the equally high standard of crew on the yacht being protested... this protest is definitely not the result of a “Yo mama is so fat....” at mark V.

 

Something happened. I’ll be interested to see the hearing minutes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Beck brings new meaning to the term self-deprecating...a few owners/skippers could learn something from that.

Even though Comanche gave them some guidance (and some others behind) to gybe early getting through the ridge out to the left, they did a monster job further on before the breeze picked up to get its arse out of the water.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lydia said:

Don’t bet on it given the works of fiction we have had lately from juries.

 

 

Knowing most of those guys pretty well, I’d give the Quest team the same odds of lodging a protest just to be dicks as I’d give to you in the same circumstance. Bob Steel is a gent of the old school. Just a lovely chap.

 

I can’t speak for juries of a fictional nature (Crime or Sci-Fi?), but if you’re protesting guys like Kos and Rafa Trujilo you’d make sure that your i’s are dotted and t’s crossed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, gravy waltz said:

A bit late for volunteers: http://media.prod.cyca.s3.amazonaws.com/media/3440626/rshyr19-quest-v-envy.pdf

Hearing started half an hour ago.

Get with the program Gravy you need to go back and read the other threads involving LB and RQ to get the connection

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lydia said:

Well there does seem to be an ex director and current rqys member on the jury

so can’t see why lb would be excluded

Very limited interwebs  here at the Sandhills so I may have missed the call. I wonder if Kama is feeling bitchy today? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

With only 70 seconds seperating Alive and Quest, and Envy and Quest an hour plus, a Envy time penalty will be an interesting construct, bearing in mind if there is to be a penalty it has to involve losing at least a place.

S.I. 21.2 The penalty for a boat that breaks one or more rules of RRS Part 2 in an incident, or may have broken RRS 31 and does not take a penalty in accordance with SI 20 shall be 2 hours added to the boat’s elapsed time, except if the boat caused injury or serious damage or gained a significant advantage in the race by her breach in which case the penalty may be disqualification.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On our way across Bass Strait on the Big Red Boat/Bus with Patriots crew van, congrats to the whole team for winning IRC Div 5 and looking like maybe a top ten place overall in the best IRC fleet ever to race to Hobart. Also winners of ORCi Div 4. Sensational result for the J/133 in elite company! 
34B2DEE2-95C4-4E3A-A39A-1DD5C81F304F.thumb.jpeg.940f69c489452d640be51c3a969758fd.jpeg

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Protest decision is out:

http://media.prod.cyca.s3.amazonaws.com/media/3440631/protest-decision-no-1-quest-v-envy-scooters.pdf

 

 

Conclusions:

1.Envy Scootersas port tack boat did not keep clear of Quest, on starboard tack, and therefore broke RRS 10.

2.Quest was justified in taking the avoiding action by bearing away, in order to avoid contact.

Rules that Apply:RRS10, RRS14, World Sailing Case 50, SI 21.2,

Decision:A penalty of 2 hours is addedto Envy Scooters’ elapsed time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

^This, big time, & back to 2017, Oats might have got that record & LH.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Curiously I no longer find myself in the "Oats hater camp" they did a bang up job putting things back together after Cabbage Tree & even after falling back for a while managed 3rd for LH, I know it's a matter of money to throw, but still good on them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Sheetinmaxout said:

If it was close and a protest was called, why wouldn’t ya just do a couple of donuts? A few minutes at the beginning of a two-day race is way less than two hours!

Maybe got some advice from some 100 footer who  had a similar problem a couple of years ago????

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swanno said:

Can someone send me a link to them guts of the story regarding Royal Queensland and a protest or give me the nutshell version?

Which incident do you want there are quite a few now

the rumble in rocky port and starboard and bar fight

the Catherine Mary port and starboard and protest

the Muppett complaint

the Qld IRC States exclusion protest

the Keppel exclusion protest and appeal

So it might take you a while

Sorry edit forgot the rrs 69 that started but never completed as the juries where not given an indemnity for legal fees

then they are the numerous club disciplinary hearing and appeals

and it will not end anytime soon

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Sheetinmaxout said:

If it was close and a protest was called, why wouldn’t ya just do a couple of donuts? A few minutes at the beginning of a two-day race is way less than two hours!

Because that's not the way they roll

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

I don’t care but 2 hours for what was at best a 2 minute infraction inside the heads - no wonder the S2H is fucked. Run someone up the arse at the start so they don’t even get past the start line and no foul!

Some people are so dumb!

Checkout the dictionary for definition of penalty. "a punishment for breaking a rule, law or contract.

A 2 minute "penalty" for wrongly saving 2 minutes is NOT a penalty. If people (or a boat) does not suffer a greater loss than they saved it is meaningless.

A meaningless penalty will just mean people keep breaking the rules.

If the S2H is wrong in any way it is the SI's allowing an alternative penalty. Normally (where SI's don't alter the standard rules) the alternative penalty is 2 complete turns - the ubiquitous '720' which they didn't do.

The International Jury found (it's in the facts found) that Envy Scooters held her course on port tack causing the right of way boat to have to take avoiding action, a clear breech of RRS10 - they can thank the SI's they hadn't just wasted 2 days  of racing.

Ask Santa for a Rule Book & Case book -it will arrive just in time for the next S2H

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shanghaisailor said:

Some people are so dumb!

Checkout the dictionary for definition of penalty. "a punishment for breaking a rule, law or contract.

A 2 minute "penalty" for wrongly saving 2 minutes is NOT a penalty. If people (or a boat) does not suffer a greater loss than they saved it is meaningless.

A meaningless penalty will just mean people keep breaking the rules.

If the S2H is wrong in any way it is the SI's allowing an alternative penalty. Normally (where SI's don't alter the standard rules) the alternative penalty is 2 complete turns - the ubiquitous '720' which they didn't do.

The International Jury found (it's in the facts found) that Envy Scooters held her course on port tack causing the right of way boat to have to take avoiding action, a clear breech of RRS10 - they can thank the SI's they hadn't just wasted 2 days  of racing.

Ask Santa for a Rule Book & Case book -it will arrive just in time for the next S2H

Nail head, meet HAMMER, if the rules have no teeth why bother with rules

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swanno said:

Can someone send me a link to them guts of the story regarding Royal Queensland and a protest or give me the nutshell version?

I can only reference my dealings Swanno, PM sent.

That the short form version, so don't hate me :) !

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations to Pierre Gal and the crew of Mistral. This amazingly fast Lombard 34 and it’s sail wardrobe was built by Pierre at his sail loft in Coffs Harbour.  1st in their IRC division for the B2G, S2GC and now line honours and a 2nd on handicap in the S2H. What a year!

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dreadom said:

Congratulations to Pierre Gal and the crew of Mistral. This amazingly fast Lombard 34 and it’s sail wardrobe was built by Pierre at his sail loft in Coffs Harbour.  1st in their IRC division for the B2G, S2GC and now line honours and a 2nd on handicap in the S2H. What a year!

 

x2 Fantastic result! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sheetinmaxout said:

If it was close and a protest was called, why wouldn’t ya just do a couple of donuts? A few minutes at the beginning of a two-day race is way less than two hours!

Because some people have a ego so big they think the rules don’t apply to them and are not man enough to man up to admit they did the wrong thing. 

 

RQYS is a law unto them selfs with some members. 

 

Pulpit

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lydia said:

Which incident do you want there are quite a few now

the rumble in rocky port and starboard and bar fight

the Catherine Mary port and starboard and protest

the Muppett complaint

the Qld IRC States exclusion protest

the Keppel exclusion protest and appeal

So it might take you a while

Sorry edit forgot the rrs 69 that started but never completed as the juries where not given an indemnity for legal fees

then they are the numerous club disciplinary hearing and appeals

and it will not end anytime soon

Or to sum it up

 

 

Only in Queensland :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Miffy said:

I wouldn’t go that far. But it just always seems like there’s a lot of frog in the well kind of nonsense from folks who are probably still drunk from Christmas. 

Like every now and then there’s a highlight about some Corinthians campaigning from Middle Sea to Fastnet to SH and they seem to have the right perspective compared to these jackos racing for nothing but pretending like there’s a million dollar price for their corrected time #16 

At the end of the analysis, it's a simple coastal race, with a brief dash across the Bass Strait in the middle of the summer Longer than many, but never more than ~100 miles from land, start and finish in the same country. 

The harbor start & finish is good television with large boats trying to maneuver in close quarters 

Holding it on Boxing Day gives good audience, vs some random midweek start to the Transpac, Fastnet or Bermuda races and offshore finishing lines that nobody can see. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Holding it on Boxing Day gives good audience, vs some random midweek start to the Transpac, Fastnet or Bermuda races and offshore finishing lines that nobody can see. 

Fastnet starts on a Sunday lunchtime......

The problem is it doesn't start in a major city and it finishes in the middle of nowhere (although not next time).

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Quagers said:

Fastnet starts on a Sunday lunchtime......

The problem is it doesn't start in a major city and it finishes in the middle of nowhere (although not next time).

Fair nuff, I think that lately there have been three separate days of starting in the Transpac, and the Bermuda Race starting sequence takes hours. 

We will probably race the 3 Bridge Fiasco which is a pursuit race > 300 boats and you can cross starting line at your preset time either way... 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, trt131 said:

Usually a part 2 rule is DSQ.  But I agree it seems excessive for that incident, it would be better to leave the time penalty to the Int Jury as they have far more experience at this than having a set penalty.

Someone step in if I'm wrong as my brain fried but up to last year "prior to turning mark" Part 2 Rule infringements were exactly that where Jury set time penalty. Changed to a fixed 2 hours last year after a celebrated one hour was levied by Jury in 2017 causing a temper tantrum, displaced hair and loss of a watch???

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Beck brings new meaning to the term self-deprecating...a few owners/skippers could learn something from that.

Even though Comanche gave them some guidance (and some others behind) to gybe early getting through the ridge out to the left, they did a monster job further on before the breeze picked up to get its arse out of the water.

 

I think he's under-selling the boat to a point. If it was a dog it wouldn't have come second. What he should have said is it's an older boat and very heavy. It has won LH before too. But a breath of fresh air to hear an owner talk about his boat like that and well sailed to the crew and great result for a boat that's had a limited budget compared to the others.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

If the S2H is wrong in any way it is the SI's allowing an alternative penalty. Normally (where SI's don't alter the standard rules) the alternative penalty is 2 complete turns - the ubiquitous '720' which they didn't do.

.....- they can thank the SI's they hadn't just wasted 2 days  of racing.

Shang it is exactly that. The "S2H B4 Turning Mark Encourage Entries Special." Very attractive to those who have a tendency at home to bounce off other boats and used to getting off scott free.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites