IRC Handicap Advice

wingnut257

Good Morning All, 

We have got a Beneteau 40.7 and club race it in the UK on a handicap of 1.047 with a No.2 headsail and spinnaker, we are looking at adding a bowsprit and purchasing a gennaker or code 0, any ideas of how this will effect our handicap.

Thanks In Advance

Paul

2 hours ago, Frogman56 said:

Come on guys.....

The bowsprit cost (at length equalling pole stl) = zero

Asymms area not greater than spa; cost = zero

This exactly, we did it on an A35 and cost was zero.

Now you could move towards a full length bowsprit and TCC would be lower at equal SPA. Not sure why you'd put a bowsprit on a displacement boat, but its worked on a RORC 44.7 offshore.

Do not use pole+full length bowsprit, it is very costly, and you'd need too many spinnakers (penalty after the 3rd spin)

2 hours ago, Sebyseb said:

Do not use pole+full length bowsprit, it is very costly, and you'd need too many spinnakers (penalty after the 3rd spin)

Yep, I think IRC assumes that the full STL of your bowsprit can be rotated to windward like a spin pole if you do that.

Penalty for 4th spin is minimal though (0.001, 3 seconds an hour)

1 hour ago, Mikel_new said:

If the bowsprit length is identical to the pole, and the A-SPA identical or lower than the S-SPA, there will be no impact at all.

Maybe I just don't understand what you all are saying here about the bowsprit length, if your bowsprit length is the same as your pole and you don't have a penalty pole; then wouldn't that just be at the bow of your boat? Isn't the length of the pole the J measurement, which is bow to mast? 

If the bowsprit is longer than the pole there is a penalty associated with that length but so long as it’s smaller than your largest spinnaker the code zero wouldn’t receive a penalty. 

I would suggest you do a trial cert or two for a bowsprit. Experiment with lengths. You need to be going 12-18 inches past the headstay to make an impact on the sails performance. 

If you’re planning on doing more windward leeward than coastal racing then that also feeds into the length you want. You’ll be carrying that sprit penalty for all the racing you’re doing. So if it’s just the occasional reaching leg take the performance hit of a shorter sprit along with the smaller penalty for a WL course. 

SailChiTown. In IOR days, poles tended to be the same length as J. Under IRC, they are generally longer. IRC has an "expected" spinnaker area and STL. If you go beyond then up goes the rating.

The point here is that, assuming the OP has a typical pole length (STL) then he could put a short prodder, coming out to the same STL, with no penalty. Likewise, if his A sail does not measure bigger than his biggest spinnaker, no penalty.

While getting ready for the recent China Coast Regatta, I found out by mistake that our Spinnaker Pole is worth .012 of a rating increase. This amount to about 43 seconds per hour increase in our rating for a 43ft boat.  

We are in the process of going with a longer Sprit, removing the pole, and increasing our kite sizes accordingly.  Based on Trail Certificates I ran, the increase would only be about.002!!

3 hours ago, Mikel_new said:

George,

• Do you mean that a pole not longer than the sprit pays 0.012?

Yup! Started with 1.167 with the sprit only. Then we added the pole and went up to 1.179.  Would be interesting to see how this works on our J35?! 

Archived