18-19 ski season

Killington should still be 80-90% open then - only the sunnier, south-facing slopes will have problems holding snow.  It's been a snowy winter in New England as well, so there's plenty of base, so even those bits might still be open.  I agree with WCB about skiing early, then sitting on the sun deck with a beer and chilling out at lunch and after.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, jewingiv said:

Killington should still be 80-90% open then - only the sunnier, south-facing slopes will have problems holding snow.  It's been a snowy winter in New England as well, so there's plenty of base, so even those bits might still be open.  I agree with WCB about skiing early, then sitting on the sun deck with a beer and chilling out at lunch and after.

Thanks, WCB & Jewingiv...

Is there any Tree Skiing left (End on March),  or are we looking at groomed runs only...?

Usually the trees hold their snow pretty well, as they don’t get much sun.  Given the current snowpack, I’d say you’ll find plenty of places to play.

That said, if you want good tree skiing in the East, I’d look north to Jay Peak, or northeast to Sugarloaf.

2 hours ago, jewingiv said:

I was doing last day at Sugarbush years ago. I passed the point where I should have been on the deck with a beer and while enjoying the treeline snow, I got an edge caught and was sucked into the trees.  It was like the scene from Tommy Boy when Chris Farley asked if there was a mark on his face. My buddy said no, the liftie asked me what the hell happened as I had blood all over. I skied on...

On 3/2/2019 at 9:22 PM, WCB said:

If you're ever in Park City, reach out to me.  I'm the importer of Augment Skis, formerly Croc.  Handmade in Austria (in their own factory before somebody asks). I'm 220 and I have been ripping around on the All-Mountain 77 in 183cm. No chatter.  I'll set you up with a demo pair to try out. We also have 88, 99, and 108 underfoot, the latter two coming next year.

99 and 108 next year? Must have been spending all the R&D on race skis. 108 Is pretty pedestrian nowadays. But you know that.

I think my 5 year old apostles are 106 underfoot.

I remember buying my Tua CR110s, in the shovel, hoping I could turn them.

Speaking of Tuas, I'm wearing the black helmet with the broken heel G3's and T2 boots.

BTW, my buddy has mastered turning left.

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

99 and 108 next year? Must have been spending all the R&D on race skis. 108 Is pretty pedestrian nowadays. But you know that.

They were very much in the race and narrower race mindset and we're helping them to learn the North American market.  I'll be over at the factory in a month or so to drive this point home.  I don't think we need to go any wider than 108 as that's not who they are as a brand but we needed those skis in order to have space on the wall.  

We just heard from one of the best shops in the West that the Augments that they have as demos are the best made skis that they've seen in ten years.  They went from looking at our skis as a possibility for next year to putting them on their floor so their loyal customers could try and pre-order them for next year.  Music to our ears.

I would really be interested in trying those cause the loss of leverage of wider underfoot skis when you need to edge on hard snow is real and really forces you to higher lean angles to achieve the same affect as a narrower ski it seems. The augment looks like a radical attempt to marry both extremes so to speak so if they are getting high torsional rigidity yet are allowing compliance in ends flex wise I could see that working. 

• Like 1
On 3/4/2019 at 7:14 PM, bmiller said:

I remember buying my Tua CR110s, in the shovel, hoping I could turn them.

Speaking of Tuas, I'm wearing the black helmet with the broken heel G3's and T2 boots.

BTW, my buddy has mastered turning left.

first proper soundtrack for a ski video in many years ;)

12 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

I would really be interested in trying those cause the loss of leverage of wider underfoot skis when you need to edge on hard snow is real and really forces you to higher lean angles to achieve the same affect as a narrower ski it seems. The augment looks like a radical attempt to marry both extremes so to speak so if they are getting high torsional rigidity yet are allowing compliance in ends flex wise I could see that working. 

Chris, you definitely understand what we're offering.  We also offer skis in a flex range from 1 to 10 with 1 being extra stiff.  We've found so far that the all-mountain skis are best in the back half of the range but what I like about it, is that we're essentially offering race stock product throughout our entire range.  PM me if you're headed to Park City and I'll hook you up with some skis to try out.  We know we'll have lots of 99s and 108s in the warehouse in Park City next year.

Lots of news out of Colorado during this storm cycle...I am sure you have seen the footage of some historic slides in and around Summit County.

Hans Berg, guide and photographer for Powder Addiction, lost his life yesterday in an avalanche reported by PA as having been triggered by a group outside their control. Jones Pass for those familiar. Second Colorado fatality this year during circumstances where someone has perished due to a slide triggered by a third party. 

36 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Very tragic. And too early to pass judgement. However, you have to ask why an experienced guide was in the position he was in. 

Agreed.

I think many in Colorado Are recalibrating their senses over the past 72 hours as to what these seemingly friendly mountains can dish out when conditions are right. 

10 minutes ago, Fisher said:

Agreed.

I think many in Colorado Are recalibrating their senses over the past 72 hours as to what these seemingly friendly mountains can dish out when conditions are right. 

Did you look at the CAIC preliminary report? It went big, R4, D4. He may have been in a "safe" zone outside of the historic path. But history relative to the short time humans have been looking at slides around here means little.

I'm gonna end my 18-19 ski season with a bang( hopefully not the sound of a bone) 

my Bluegrass band Tilly Foster is playing at a brewery near Burlington Vt. on Saturday March 30 ...I'll be skiing Sugarbush and MRG that weekend....

• Like 1

No end in sight out here. In fact this could be a season to go all year again. Ski at least one day in each month. The last time I did that was 10 or so years ago. Got a little skinny in September and October.

Correction, back in 03 was the last all year season. 

Following the kid looking for some late season turns.

107-0748_IMG.jpg

Ha, St Patty's day and spring break mean that neked day at Crested butte is not far off.  Maybe Mr Miller can supply some pics of the festivities this yr...  Tastefully of course..:)

On 3/14/2019 at 9:12 AM, bmiller said:

No end in sight out here. In fact this could be a season to go all year again. Ski at least one day in each month. The last time I did that was 10 or so years ago. Got a little skinny in September and October.

Correction, back in 03 was the last all year season. 

Following the kid looking for some late season turns.

107-0748_IMG.jpg

Did that a few times back in the 80s and early 90s. A-basin well into July then St Mary's or Tuckermans if it had any left.

We got a wee bit of snow this year. Come on out. More coming in right now, heavier but still good snow. This is Carson Pass on Hiway 88.

Image may contain: outdoor

• Like 2

my last ski day here was thwarted yesterday with heavy rain all day...I just couldn't bring myself to ski in rain for my last day :-(  on the bright side, my gig in Burlington was awesome and partying with a bonfire on the banks of the Mad River was pretty cool.  I did see someone took some great pics of a mama bear and her cubs up in a tree near the K1 gondola at Killington saturday afternoon.

8853F8B0-4B1A-495C-9F78-BEF135A34288.thumb.jpeg.6d0ce0d28371981faaa74cd0c97f5239.jpeg

• Like 3
On Wednesday, March 06, 2019 at 11:32 AM, WCB said:

Chris, you definitely understand what we'rin offering.  We also offer skis in a flex range from ch 1 to 10 with 1 being extra stiff.  We've found so far that the all-mountain skis are best in the back half of the range but what I like about it, is that we're essentially offering race stock product throughout our entire range.  PM me if you're headed to Park City and I'll hook you up with some skis to try out.  We know we'll have lots of 99s and 108s in the warehouse in Park City next year.

So now after two days of skiing the m5 mantras on super hard and steep groomed to afternoon 6 Inch sierra slop that this concept works. I have never skied with less effort and achieved control and fun through a wider range of conditions ever. I truly didnt think It possible.

16 hours ago, dacapo said:

my last ski day here was thwarted yesterday with heavy rain all day...I just couldn't bring myself to ski in rain for my last day :-(  on the bright side, my gig in Burlington was awesome and partying with a bonfire on the banks of the Mad River was pretty cool.  I did see someone took some great pics of a mama bear and her cubs up in a tree near the K1 gondola at Killington saturday afternoon.

8853F8B0-4B1A-495C-9F78-BEF135A34288.thumb.jpeg.6d0ce0d28371981faaa74cd0c97f5239.jpeg

The Drop Bear has been found peeps!

36 minutes ago, ErieJ24 said:

Killington last week exceeded expectations!  Excellent snow, great weather, 100% open, could not have been better.

Kids want to do it again next spring break.  I told them it's not always like this...

killington4.jpg

Very cool, skiing with your kids is the best.

Last week I skied with my grandson, on the run that was his dad's favorite when he was a kid.

• Like 3

It ain't over, not even close, at least out here. One of the best seasons I can remember.

However, on a sad note I rode the last ever cat up to Tucker. A lift will access it next year. Doom and gloom for certain. The skiing today was great though, especially considering we're two weeks from closing.

Taos last week had snow Sunday evening and Wed midday.  Looks like the coming storm could drop some more this week, the good news for bmiller is a lot more in his area.  The bummer is I don't have time to go again.  Copper is on the calendar for next year. 

I'll be in Taos this coming weekend staying at a different friends, just a stone's throw from where you were.

Looking sloppy for closing Taos.

36 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Taos last week had snow Sunday evening and Wed midday.  Looks like the coming storm could drop some more this week, the good news for bmiller is a lot more in his area.  The bummer is I don't have time to go again.  Copper is on the calendar for next year. 

28 minutes ago, bmiller said:

I'll be in Taos this coming weekend staying at a different friends, just a stone's throw from where you were.

Looking sloppy for closing Taos.

There was more snow and lower highs than forecast last week, maybe your visit will be similar.  Only slushy areas were the catwalks coming down.  Have a good trip and hope to see you on Copper next season!

Just curious if anyone is using the Epic or Ikon Pass? We switched from Epic to Ikon this year and it has been great.
If you are interested in an IKON pass for next year, our group has discount codes for $30 off for new pass holders.
All transactions go directly thru IKON using the discount code.
The price for all passes will go up $100 in 2 weeks. It will probably go up more over the summer. 
You can pay by installment plan also thru the website also
PM me if you are interested.
BD 

On 4/8/2019 at 7:28 PM, Black Dog said:

Just curious if anyone is using the Epic or Ikon Pass? We switched from Epic to Ikon this year and it has been great.
If you are interested in an IKON pass for next year, our group has discount codes for $30 off for new pass holders.
All transactions go directly thru IKON using the discount code.
The price for all passes will go up $100 in 2 weeks. It will probably go up more over the summer. 
You can pay by installment plan also thru the website also
PM me if you are interested.
BD 

had both passes this year, will do it again next. since I had a place in Vail, had full Epic and the Ikon Base pass. that combo worked out the best for us. unlimited at all Evil Empire hills and enough at others to make a few trips very worthwhile.

all the hardcore folks I know have both passes, I dont recall what the crossover point is but its not as many days at a big resort than you think and you will ski far more without having to worry about. It also take out the whole feeling bad about only skiing a couple hours if thats all you want to do.

You guys sure make skiing/ riding look like a lot of work!

For my money, the Sitzski is the way to go. If only I could have built it with a recliner and a beer holder ...

10930951_10205938140043325_1256550788030

On 4/10/2019 at 2:59 PM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

all the hardcore folks I know have both passes, I dont recall what the crossover point is but its not as many days at a big resort than you think and you will ski far more without having to worry about. It also take out the whole feeling bad about only skiing a couple hours if thats all you want to do.

Enables me to cherry pick the days I ski.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Headed out today for some turns. Just so happens yesterday my brother found a photo from the early 70's of yours truly "training" in the backyard. Check out them leather boots!

FB_IMG_1559259533611.jpg

June turns in the bag. Bluebird conditions,  skinned up to the yurt at cooper. 

Chicago ridge in the background waiting for my ski buddy, don't want to do that one alone.

5622.jpeg

Last one for awhile, going sailing.

This morning again up on the pass. I planned on a different route but wound skiing back down to the road in the bottom of the photo. Started from the top center, look close and my turns should be visable. 

Since I changed routes I got to the road with nothing to walk in except ski boots. So I took them off and started hiking back up barefoot on the brand new silky smooth pavement. It was actually very comfy, some guy gave me a ride part way up.

20190614_110155.jpg

• 1 month later...

July turns today. Wasn't much but it was easy access and skiing. Basically the same area as in my post above. Fall line just before it turned into a long traverse provided a dozen nice turns. That's all it takes to make me smile. Turns are washed out in my top notch flip phone photo. Met someone from town on the way down who took a photo and should send it, that may be better.

0723191055a.jpg

13 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Easier to tilt my head - now you are just taunting us. btw, good friend thinking about bringing his J22 to Dillon for August if you want to sail, Shirely no snow by then.

There's always snow, sometimes you just have to climb higher. When in august? I will be out of state from the 11th on. Too hot here.

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

There's always snow, sometimes you just have to climb higher. When in august? I will be out of state from the 11th on. Too hot here.

Was talking about entire month - will see him tomorrow and get more details, will PM you his contact info if will be there first of the month. And it's hot in Colorado? wtf, don't come to Texas.

6 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Was talking about entire month - will see him tomorrow and get more details, will PM you his contact info if will be there first of the month. And it's hot in Colorado? wtf, don't come to Texas.

That hot comment was tounge in cheek. Either way I don't plan on being in Texas anytime soon.

• Like 1

Nice - many years ago was in Whitehorse, Yukon for a month (May) and our last night there we hiked up to whatever peak overlooks the city, saw the sun at 3am and there were a bunch of those, hard packed so we but our butts down on them to the bottom. You know the fashion about making blue jeans white? Well, the backs of those jeans were. Well ahead of fashion.  good times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Me too.  Season here has sucked big ones.   Lots of snow but shite weather so we can't get to it.

And..... seeing as how spring is here it'll turn to mush by midday soon...... so much for a season pass....

Heading back to Co. in January, probably basing ourselves in Steamboat Springs.  Bringing the Missus with us this time......

29 minutes ago, wal' said:

Me too.  Season here has sucked big ones.   Lots of snow but shite weather so we can't get to it.

And..... seeing as how spring is here it'll turn to mush by midday soon...... so much for a season pass....

Heading back to Co. in January, probably basing ourselves in Steamboat Springs.  Bringing the Missus with us this time......

If you make it south give me a shout.

Yeah will do for sure.  We might skip down to Winter Park to show Mumsie where we were so anything could happen

....Suppose I should really go book some flights n stuff.....

so this summer I picked up a 4wd class B RV.( I guess since it's a dually it's actually 6WD, but I digress) 

now trying to locate a suitable Jeep Wrangler to drag around behind it.

I may start the trip without the dingy and just rely on a bike for short hauls away from the "house"

first planned destination is Sedona. not suite sure how I'm gonna get there or when. The attached pic is my currently planned ski trip for the 2019-2020 season.

image.png

21 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

so this summer I picked up a 4wd class B RV.( I guess since it's a dually it's actually 6WD, but I digress) 

now trying to locate a suitable Jeep Wrangler to drag around behind it.

I may start the trip without the dingy and just rely on a bike for short hauls away from the "house"

first planned destination is Sedona. not suite sure how I'm gonna get there or when. The attached pic is my currently planned ski trip for the 2019-2020 season.

image.png

That looks like a great trip - suggest if you have more time for the Canadian Rockies add Kicking Horse, Panorama and Sunshine Village (All on that path between Revi and Big Sky)

Panorama in particular - took a free mountain tour the first morning and the locals hooked us up with people on the hill that showed us the goods the whole time we were there.

23 minutes ago, Victim_X said:

That looks like a great trip - suggest if you have more time for the Canadian Rockies add Kicking Horse, Panorama and Sunshine Village (All on that path between Revi and Big Sky)

Panorama in particular - took a free mountain tour the first morning and the locals hooked us up with people on the hill that showed us the goods the whole time we were there.

Thanks for the suggestion. Have both Epic and Ikon passes and plan to make an effort to get to every area that those get me access to.

• 1 year later...

Who doesn't love some beautiful scenery when going on a ski trip? Well, I certainly do! I always go on ski trips with my wife during winter, and we like to be well informed, so we found the platform Blue House Skis, which has answered all the questions we had on our last trips! I'm sure that you will find some good ski lift libraries on there, as they have everything from pros and cons about ski resorts to tips and guides on snowboarding! If you're also looking for the most incredible ski resort scenery, they can offer a large amount of information to choose from, in a lot of countries.

2 hours ago, ireneirene said:

Who doesn't love some beautiful scenery when going on a ski trip? Well, I certainly do! I always go on ski trips with my wife during winter, and we like to be well informed, so we found the platform Blue House Skis, which has answered all the questions we had on our last trips! I'm sure that you will find some good ski lift libraries on there, as they have everything from pros and cons about ski resorts to tips and guides on snowboarding! If you're also looking for the most incredible ski resort scenery, they can offer a large amount of information to choose from, in a lot of countries.

fuck off Newb.