If You Love dogs......

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those who remember , we lost our dog Beauford in September. He was our only child and the past 3 months have been hard. Too quiet. No howling or beying when we come home from work or the store. Of

I want to introduce you to Winthrop...born Oct. 25th 2020 He fills a hole in our hearts left by the loss of our last side kick Beauford I just remembered how sharp puppy teeth are ;-)  

Posted Images

On 11/29/2020 at 6:22 PM, blunderfull said:

Stonnie Dennis with the best all/around intro to Mali’s/Dutchies.   Wisdom.   He’s not high on them as family dogs.   Straight talk about what a PITA/weapon these breeds become if you flub the early steps.   High quality vid.

Very true:  A Belgie is a double-handful of fun. And you damn better know what you’re doing. 

However, a BelGer mix can be a very fine dog.  I had a  Belgian/ Shep mix and he was 132 lbs of smart, lovable, goofball. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Very true:  A Belgie is a double-handful of fun. And you damn better know what you’re doing. 

However, a BelGer mix can be a very fine dog.  I had a  Belgian/ Shep mix and he was 132 lbs of smart, lovable, goofball. 

132#?!!    What’d he eat daily?   V cool.

Anything he wanted.  ;)

Actually, we feed him Costco's Super Premium, recommended by a champion dog breeder we knew. He must have liked the chow, the effer kept growing.  ;) However, he was always trim and lean.

Now, we're supplementing the kibble with high quality wet food, with raw eggs and raw meat trimmings for the additional protein.

• Like 1

For those who remember , we lost our dog Beauford in September. He was our only child and the past 3 months have been hard. Too quiet. No howling or beying when we come home from work or the store. Oftentimes I sit by his grave and write music. It’s been hard. 
I didn’t want to go through the loss again so I didn’t want another, but I’ve since changed my mind. We called a Bassett breeder up and we’re getting new baby the week after Christmas. 
I think , no, I know we’re naming him Winthrop. He’s definitely  a Winthrop.  (All I could think about is the Dan Aykroyd scene with him in the Santa Claus suit drunk eating a turkey leg on the bus)

here is a pic of Winthrop with the breeder last week 

E4FCC8A5-312E-4F88-9967-A3A12DBD7A64.jpeg.26380ebdf82a585d01183a9450609dae.jpeg

• Like 11
On 12/5/2020 at 6:31 PM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

132 lbs!!!!  HO LEE FUK!  

My GSD "puppy" is now 7 months and is approaching 80lbs, is trim and lean, and still hasn't grown into his paws yet.  I think I'm going to have to get a Costco membership to keep up with his food regime.  

16 hours ago, Burning Man said:

132 lbs!!!!  HO LEE FUK! 

Didn't seem that big...

He was bred as a police dog, but failed the gunshot noise test. (90% of the dogs do.) So we were able to adopt him through Coastal German Shepherd Rescue of Orange County, CA.  (A WONDERFUL organization.)

He was just shy of a year old, and our case worker told us he wouldn't grow much more. "Lady, look at those paws, his ears, that tail... he's gonna be a BIG boy!" Wasn't a problem, as I've had big dogs just about my whole life. We had some Alpha issues, but quickly worked through them. 

I miss my BigBoy every day.

• Like 1

“There was just one exception to this general rule: the dog. The dog was the first animal domesticated by Homo sapiens, and this occurred before the agricultural revolution. Experts disagree about the exact date, but we have incontrovertible evidence of domesticated dogs from about 15,000 years ago. They may have joined the human pack thousands of years earlier.

Dogs were used for hunting and fighting, and as an alarm system against wild beasts and human intruders. With the passing of generations, the two species evolved to communicate well with each other. Dogs that were most attentive to the needs and feelings of their human companions got extra care and food, and were more likely to survive. Simultaneously, dogs learned to manipulate people for their own needs. A 15,000 year bond has yielded a much deeper understanding and affection between humans and dogs than between humans and any other animal.”

From Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari

• Like 4
21 hours ago, Burning Man said:

132 lbs!!!!  HO LEE FUK!  

My GSD "puppy" is now 7 months and is approaching 80lbs, is trim and lean, and still hasn't grown into his paws yet.  I think I'm going to have to get a Costco membership to keep up with his food regime.  

we used to make our own dog food to supplement the dry food..  

boil a couple of fryer chickens till the meat falls off..   remove all bones..   add brown rice and some garlic to the broth and cook till done..  add carrot pulp, (we were juicing carrots a lot and saved it)  , lots of parsely,  and any supplements like bone meal etc..  mix it all up well

we'd fill large plastic containers and freeze them.. pulling them out when needed...   about 8 oz's per meal...   you can cut down on the amount of dry..  your dog will love you even more..

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

we used to make our own dog food to supplement the dry food..  

boil a couple of fryer chickens till the meat falls off..   remove all bones..   add brown rice and some garlic to the broth and cook till done..  add carrot pulp, (we were juicing carrots a lot and saved it)  , lots of parsely,  and any supplements like bone meal etc..  mix it all up well

we'd fill large plastic containers and freeze them.. pulling them out when needed...   about 8 oz's per meal...   you can cut down on the amount of dry..  your dog will love you even more..

Please....No garlic for the dogs.

On 12/12/2020 at 10:10 AM, sshow bob said:

20201212_100842.jpg

Great pic! Our house has every available sq. in. of flat space covered in Christmas deccos too, although my wife dialed back on the cookies and bark packages this year as no one wants more carbs.

That's a contented looking pooch!

Merry Christmas to all!

we had our first real snow fall of the season on Christmas eve and Christmas day.  We let Josi run all afternoon of Christmas while the wife and I had cocktails on the deck in the 26° cold.  After her run and our cold drinking we settled in by the fire to watch movies.  An exhausted GSP is a good GSP. 

josi_sleeping_by_fire.jpg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, F395 said:

we had our first real snow fall of the season on Christmas eve and Christmas day.  We let Josi run all afternoon of Christmas while the wife and I had cocktails on the deck in the 26° cold.  After her run and our cold drinking we settled in by the fire to watch movies.  An exhausted GSP is a good GSP. 

josi_sleeping_by_fire.jpg

You were able to exhaust a GSP? 

Proud man, proud!  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

You were able to exhaust a GSP? 

Proud man, proud!  

There were many squirrel chases involved and it took around 4 hours for her to quit looking for more.  I went through half a dozen Black Russian cocktails and the wife finished a whole bottle of white wine that tried to freeze towards the end of it's life.   

We are heading back out in a little while to let Josi loose again, the squirrels have returned to the corn feeder and she is eagerly awaiting her shot at them.

• Like 1

Wifey just returned from her volunteer dog walking gig at the local pound.

Said a couple other volunteers saw a vehicle let a shepherd mix out in the adjacent park, then drive off.

Obligatory bandwidth-eating photo.

2063925753_ZiggyandGilligan.thumb.jpg.50c1eeb7afd4f1d09139de335f6ada91.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, justsomeguy! said:

Wifey just returned from her volunteer dog walking gig at the local pound.

Said a couple other volunteers saw a vehicle let a shepherd mix out in the adjacent park, then drive off.

Obligatory bandwidth-eating photo.

Find.jpg

• Like 4
On 12/6/2020 at 11:22 AM, dacapo said:

For those who remember , we lost our dog Beauford in September. He was our only child and the past 3 months have been hard. Too quiet. No howling or beying when we come home from work or the store. Oftentimes I sit by his grave and write music. It’s been hard. 
I didn’t want to go through the loss again so I didn’t want another, but I’ve since changed my mind. We called a Bassett breeder up and we’re getting new baby the week after Christmas. 
I think , no, I know we’re naming him Winthrop. He’s definitely  a Winthrop.  (All I could think about is the Dan Aykroyd scene with him in the Santa Claus suit drunk eating a turkey leg on the bus)

here is a pic of Winthrop with the breeder last week 

E4FCC8A5-312E-4F88-9967-A3A12DBD7A64.jpeg.26380ebdf82a585d01183a9450609dae.jpeg

We’re going to wait until Monday to go get Winthrop. As much as this week it would have made our lives happier, getting a puppy over the holidays isn’t recommended. So we’ll wait until Monday to go get the little guy. 

• Like 2

Correction

On 12/27/2020 at 10:02 PM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Had a GSD/ Beagle mix. Not a good combo. While a very sweet and loving dog, he was pretty much the Energizer Bunny of Stupidity. 

Correction:  The above dog was a German Shorthair Pointer (GSP not GSD)/ Beagle mix.  (Massive Blonde Fart).  Ol' Buckley was a good dawg, but basically a Synapse in search of a Neuron for ever more. 

On 12/30/2020 at 9:33 AM, justsomeguy! said:

WTF is wrong with people?

4 hours ago, Liquid said:

Could be a number of "reasons" for this type of behavior. The kicker was they were right next to the pound where they could have put the dog through the intake process for free.

As such, the dog had to be rounded up, and I'm told that that was not easy.

34 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:
5 hours ago, Liquid said:

Could be a number of "reasons" for this type of behavior. The kicker was they were right next to the pound where they could have put the dog through the intake process for free.

As such, the dog had to be rounded up, and I'm told that that was not easy.

I volunteer to  clean up trash along the roadside, for a short stretch of one of our roads. I've had people throw litter at me as they drive by, saying things like "here is something for you" and other such clever shit.

But one time, a car stopped and let out a dog, then drove on. Some teenagers walking nearby saw it, and called out. Fortunately the dog came right up to us, timidly but not running away. One of the young people said their family could keep him, they had a fenced yard on a side road near by.

There are a lot of fucked-up people in the world, unfortunately

- DSK

2 hours ago, captnjoe said:

IMG_1687.thumb.JPEG.19f1485a14243bd52c000550cf066b47.JPEG

Our Chesapeake Bay Retrievers:  Different breeders and six years apart, but they understand family.

Beautiful dogs!!!  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I volunteer to  clean up trash along the roadside, for a short stretch of one of our roads. I've had people throw litter at me as they drive by, saying things like "here is something for you" and other such clever shit.

But one time, a car stopped and let out a dog, then drove on. Some teenagers walking nearby saw it, and called out. Fortunately the dog came right up to us, timidly but not running away. One of the young people said their family could keep him, they had a fenced yard on a side road near by.

There are a lot of fucked-up people in the world, unfortunately

- DSK

Yep.  Back when I was in HS, one day I was out for a long training bike ride on a backcountry highway.  I've got my head down over the bars trying to spin up this long hill.  I'm on the paved shoulder of a 4 lane divided highway well off the travel lane about 20 miles out of town.  All of a sudden, I hear "BANG!" and the gravel rocks in the dirt on the edge of the shoulder explode and shower me with bits of rock shards.  I was like WTF?????  As I look up, this hillbilly skank chick in an old pickup pulls in what looks to be a .38 snubnose revolver back into the window as they are cackling in laughter.  

I wasn't able to get the plates as they sped off and I was obviously shooken up.  But about 30 min later, I flagged down a Highway Patrol cruiser who was going opposite direction (this was pre-cell phone days).  I related the story and he took my details and description of the truck and then sped off in their direction.  I never heard anything, so I suspect they were long gone.  Cunts!

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

Yep.  Back when I was in HS, one day I was out for a long training bike ride on a backcountry highway.  I've got my head down over the bars trying to spin up this long hill.  I'm on the paved shoulder of a 4 lane divided highway well off the travel lane about 20 miles out of town.  All of a sudden, I hear "BANG!" and the gravel rocks in the dirt on the edge of the shoulder explode and shower me with bits of rock shards.  I was like WTF?????  As I look up, this hillbilly skank chick in an old pickup pulls in what looks to be a .38 snubnose revolver back into the window as they are cackling in laughter.  

I wasn't able to get the plates as they sped off and I was obviously shooken up.  But about 30 min later, I flagged down a Highway Patrol cruiser who was going opposite direction (this was pre-cell phone days).  I related the story and he took my details and description of the truck and then sped off in their direction.  I never heard anything, so I suspect they were long gone.  Cunts!

Dangerous sport. But if they had killed you, it's unlikely they'd have felt any remorse.

One of the very very few times I have aimed a firearm at a fellow human being was in a very similar incident. American pastime, random roadside violence. I also get the impression that incidents like this are less common now that 50 years ago, despite the greater degree of crowding and the bizarre dysfunctional social programming so many people get.

- DSK

I won't ride on the roadways anymore....too damn dangerous.

That being said my closest buddy was recently shot to death and buried in a shallow grave while riding in the mountains of Colorado. The nicest man in the world taken down by some slime bag that should never have been given a gun. Still unsolved.

• Like 1

Evil exists. Always has - always will. No amount of hand wringing will change that basic fact of human nature. For whatever reason, a thankfully small percentage of humans will be deeply, dangerously flawed.  The good need to resist; sometimes forcefully, sometimes violently, sometime by just having the capability and will.

Sincerely sorry for your loss, Big D.

I want to introduce you to Winthrop...born Oct. 25th 2020

He fills a hole in our hearts left by the loss of our last side kick Beauford

I just remembered how sharp puppy teeth are ;-)winthrop.thumb.jpg.2e8f993fda2528040891ad0dee1af40a.jpg

• Like 8
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, dacapo said:

I want to introduce you to Winthrop...born Oct. 25th 2020

He fills a hole in our hearts left by the loss of our last side kick Beauford

I just remembered how sharp puppy teeth are ;-)winthrop.thumb.jpg.2e8f993fda2528040891ad0dee1af40a.jpg

Fuck me. A down vote for my puppy :lol:

These eyes may look all sweet but this puppy is a born killer. He’s drawn blood twice on me with his fucking needle teeth 575A1AAA-ED9C-41D8-B2A2-56C93C1192C7.thumb.jpeg.6b12fb7598a46e05c60084194cc29edc.jpeg

• Like 1

If you love dogs, you'll have two.  My collie came back to life when I adopted a golden retriever for her and me and him.

I made sure that my German Shepard knew that my cat was part of the family.

My cocker spaniel bit people, they are like that.

1 hour ago, hasher said:

If you love dogs, you'll have two.  My collie came back to life when I adopted a golden retriever for her and me and him.

I made sure that my German Shepard knew that my cat was part of the family.

My cocker spaniel bit people, they are like that.

Yep. Our 2 old guys (11&14) have new life now that we have Sky. She just ticked by 5 months. Thank Darwin the adult teeth are more tolerable...

On 5/13/2020 at 5:33 PM, P_Wop said:

And who could forget Stella leaf-jumping?

Like little kids in a ball room.

• Like 2

Well, I try to keep uploading photos and am being technically incompetent. If I figure it out it will be 2 photos of a very tired momma dog and her 6 new puppies. Mini Aussies and I have forgotten how squeaky newborn pups are. 2 merles and 4 tricolors. Came into the world 2 days ago. 

Ok, I think I got it sorted

WL

PXL_20210118_133400620.jpg

• Like 3
On 12/6/2020 at 7:45 AM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Anything he wanted.  ;)

Actually, we feed him Costco's Super Premium, recommended by a champion dog breeder we knew. He must have liked the chow, the effer kept growing.  ;) However, he was always trim and lean.

Now, we're supplementing the kibble with high quality wet food, with raw eggs and raw meat trimmings for the additional protein.

we'd get the hard boiled eggs from costco, they come already shelled,  great treats for our dogs.. 

• Like 1

Facebook does this thing where the dredge up an old pic that you posted on that day some years back. I kinda like it but a friend who went through a difficult separation doesn't appreciate the reminders of his ex.

Anyway, yesterday's old pic was my dear, departed Luke the Cowdog taking his third swim in the pond on Jan 19, 2010.

LukeSwimJan2010.jpg

He was such a cute little cowpup. It sent me looking through old pics. Here's one of my favorites, Libby and Luke sailing with us in April 2010.

LibLukSunCatSailApr2010.jpg

4 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Beautiful dog, ed!

Thanks.  Bella knows how to strike a pose!

But Stanley is no slouch either when he sets his mind to it

Brother and sister, same father, different mother.  Stan is 12 years old, Bella is 9 years old.

Bella.jpg

Stanley B&W.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Thanks.  Bella knows how to strike a pose!

But Stanley is no slouch either when he sets his mind to it

Brother and sister, same father, different mother.  Stan is 12 years old, Bella is 9 years old.

Bella.jpg

Stanley B&W.jpg

I think many dogs know and understand the concept of being looked at admiringly. They are social critters, after all.

- DSK

5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I think many dogs know and understand the concept of being looked at admiringly. They are social critters, after all.

- DSK

I don't think Stanley really cares.  Now Bella, she knows exactly what she's doing.  I have never seen a female dog swing their hips like Bella does.  And she often just naturally assumes elegant poses.  But occasionally she lets her guard down.

Sleepy Sunday.jpg

On 12/27/2020 at 12:26 PM, F395 said:

There were many squirrel chases involved and it took around 4 hours for her to quit looking for more.  I went through half a dozen Black Russian cocktails and the wife finished a whole bottle of white wine that tried to freeze towards the end of it's life.   

We are heading back out in a little while to let Josi loose again, the squirrels have returned to the corn feeder and she is eagerly awaiting her shot at them.

How old is Josi?  I took in Austin1972's GSP, Bella, when he passed.  She is 16 years old and has been a great comfort for me.  She can be quite a character though. 120024759_Bella-Jan2014.thumb.jpg.ab6094582998532ceae0d8d1cc3f77b1.jpg1716409221_Bella-SmooDoggerFeb2013.thumb.jpg.15bb0faf4071efc7364bbc7ff0287d6f.jpg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Jiffy B said:

How old is Josi?  I took in Austin1972's GSP, Bella, when he passed.  She is 16 years old and has been a great comfort for me.  She can be quite a character though. 

I am so glad you were able to take in Bella, she deserves a great home after being with Austin.  I never met him, but I read the string of his passing and we probably have common friends on portage lake in Onekama.  I have spent quite a few weekends in the area fishing and sailing on the lake.  No matter their age, GSP's are very good friends.

Josi just turned 3 last month.  We imported her from a breeder in Austin Texas - weird how things like that work.  I attached a video of her the day we brought her home from the airport.  What a character she was then and still is . The photo of her is a thing she does in her crate and in the dog pen to get attention. I am always amazed at the things they do and with having to stay at home as much as we have had to with the pandemic I could not imagine it without our best friend and house jester Josi - AKA Yellow Rose Outlaw Josi Whales.  

Give Bella a treat for me.

Josi at fence.jpg

• Like 2

This here is a buddy's dog, a Japanese Tosa. Last time he was at the vet he weighed 175 lbs, and I think he's put on some weight lately. He is very particular where he walks, where he don't want to go he don't! He didn't want to come on my boat but I shamed him into it, as his dad was spending the night on the boat. 

IMG_20200715_2009588.jpg

IMG_20200309_1349111.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...