If You Love dogs......

6 hours ago, Willin' said:

Had a buddy with a great mixed breed dog named Slainte that would chase and retrieve anything. If you quit and he wasn't ready to, he'd go out and retrieve rocks and lay them at your feet.

We were walking by the Truckee River one afternoon and Slainte decided there were rocks at the bottom of the river that needed retrieving. Fucker would swim out to deep water, dive down and come up with a rock, swim ashore, put it down and repeat.

Looking back, it was probably the early symptoms of whatever took him out a few years later, but not before he'd worn his fangs down to nubs.

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers will do that, if rocks are the only thing they can find in the water to bring you. But generally they find other jobs before wearing their teeth down to nubs. I wonder if your buddy's dog Slainte (great name) was part Chessy. Not many dog breeds like to dive under water.

- DSK

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those who remember , we lost our dog Beauford in September. He was our only child and the past 3 months have been hard. Too quiet. No howling or beying when we come home from work or the store. Of

I have buried many dogs over the years and it does suck. Ryley, my 14 yo Lab rescue is having issues. She has bad hip issues and I am barely able to get her moving in the morning. I've all ready had "

Posted Images

On 10/30/2021 at 10:08 AM, Willin' said:

Had a buddy with a great mixed breed dog named Slainte that would chase and retrieve anything. If you quit and he wasn't ready to, he'd go out and retrieve rocks and lay them at your feet.

We were walking by the Truckee River one afternoon and Slainte decided there were rocks at the bottom of the river that needed retrieving. Fucker would swim out to deep water, dive down and come up with a rock, swim ashore, put it down and repeat.

A friend had a Lab that didn't want the games to end. I threw a big, white rock out into the middle of the pond, where it's about 8' deep. He was too fat to get it but swam around above it with just his tail out of the water and his nose halfway to the bottom for long enough that we finally had to make him stop.

He's gone now, buried by my pond, but I still see him like this in my mind.

dozerfly.jpg

• Like 6

A meeting of the minds. 

The little black cat is Charlie, a new acquisition from a feral litter.  We got him about 2 months ago when he was just shy of 3 months old.  He quite likes the dogs, and they like him as well.  As Labs are wont to do, their tails are often wagging and Charlie likes to pounce on the moving tails.  They don't seem to mind it.

Animal mtg.jpg

• Like 4

Cats don't always land on their feet. When our grey tabby was a kitten he launched himself in a ferocious attack on Luke the Cowdog's tail. Which was mostly air. His paws went right through and he wiped out on landing, then jumped up with that "i meant to do that" cat look.

• Like 3

I love em but these fuckers woke me up at 4am this morning  Gus, the mini schnauzer is a dick and instigates while Winthrop retaliates by grabbing him by the throat  and laying on him  Only way to separate them At that moment to give them each a chewy toy  at that moment to give them each year chewy bone of some sort   By then I’m fucking Wideawake  

image.thumb.jpg.3dfc5f96cfe1deb85baf6d6ecb4effcc.jpg

• Like 1

I've had good luck using a padded, hard plastic, 8" wide collar called the BiteNot with my Sheps. It doesn't allow the dog to bend their neck.  I found it works well with anything except their foot chewing.

Tried it in desperation after my Big Boy weaponized his Cone of Shame, and I was continuously getting my legs  bashed from behind.  He still hated his new hard collar, but he was unable to show me just how much he hated it.  ;)  Dawgs.  

2 hours ago, Seriatim Tom said:

The cone is obsolete. There's an inflatable neck pillow that works better.

The donut works great forward of the hind legs   And does not bash into everything like a cone. 

Unfortunately,  it was an incision on his leg to chop out a cancerous growth and he could reach it around the donut. 

• Like 1

This is Theo (left, mine) and his Mum Izzy (right, not mine) who I look after for holidays etc. Longish boaty story, but I couldn't take her for the first night of a holiday in November 2019 because I had to be down at the sailing clubs on the Saturday night/Sunday. Picked her up from other friends Sunday evening and thought no more of it. Fast forward to February and I get a call from Izzy's owner telling me that she's had puppies conceived that Saturday when a neighbour's Croatian Shepherd had scaled a 6ft fence to make her acquaintance....

My first mistake was arranging to go and see them, and my second was taking my daughter with me. But at least I got the pick of the whole litter.

984051280_TheoIzzyLandy.thumb.jpg.3592b783e754a4c1891f8b48c82fefa6.jpg

Luckily, he's a happy chap on a boat too.

2099298861_2020-09-20at22_54.09TheoboatBeaulieu.thumb.jpeg.2ba8f789a47cc1feed0b5414ea859446.jpeg

• Like 6

Mixed pups trip me out.   Kyu looks exactly like his mom DiDi, who’s a  yellow Lab.   I see his dad’s Mali tail and that’s it.  

Have to see how he moves - his dad WillieNelson is a hellion.  S. said Willie either got his muzzle on or is chained to the fence at Dog Beach on a ‘timeout’.  

A big, young, alpha Mali ain’t always lotta laughs.  I got scars on arm for rumbling with him as a four-month old.   He’s big now too.   I’m done walking Maligators.   

Willie the T-Rex

227ABCB9-D2B8-4402-8E88-3C599F15E3CC.jpeg

• Like 5
21 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Mixed pups trip me out.   Kyu looks exactly like his mom DiDi, who’s a  yellow Lab.   I see his dad’s Mali tail and that’s it.  

Have to see how he moves - his dad WillieNelson is a hellion.  S. said Willie either got his muzzle on or is chained to the fence at Dog Beach on a ‘timeout’.  

A big, young, alpha Mali ain’t always lotta laughs.  I got scars on arm for rumbling with him as a four-month old.   He’s big now too.   I’m done walking Maligators.   

Willie the T-Rex

227ABCB9-D2B8-4402-8E88-3C599F15E3CC.jpeg

One beautiful dog!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone have a Lab that bays like a hound?

Guy I see down at the beach has a big old Yellow Lab that bays louder than any dog I’ve ever seen.  Doesn’t seem typical of Labs?  Immense, low roar that echos off the PCH bridge and carries across the bay.  To be heard to be believed.

Sounds like this black/tan B-hound:

The Lab is heavy/fat with a big rib cage.   Might be how all that roar’s produced?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2021 at 8:44 AM, blunderfull said:

Anyone have a Lab that bays like a hound?

Guy I see down at the beach has a big old Yellow Lab that bays louder than any dog I’ve ever seen.  Doesn’t seem typical of Labs?  Immense, low roar that echos off the PCH bridge and carries across the bay.  To be heard to be believed.

Sounds like this black/tan B-hound:

The Lab is heavy/fat with a big rib cage.   Might be how all that roar’s produced?

My old man Stanley weighs almost 100 pounds and he has a big chest and isn't fat at all.  He doesn't bay but back in his prime he had a powerful bark that would strike fear in anyone's heart, sounding like one of the 4 hounds of the apocalypse.  Of course once they realized it was a Lab, they weren't afraid anymore. 

Who could possibly be afraid of this, no matter how loud he rumbled and roared:

Sunday Stanley 2.jpg

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...
Just now, Ed Lada said:

My daughter's dog, Darla.

Darla.jpg

Gorgeous girl!  My son has 2, such beautiful creatures.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

OK, they're Corgis, not Doxies but...  :lol:

they-said-i-could-be-anything-1.jpg

I could do that with Winthrop and he’d be a bloodhound 

On 1/31/2022 at 6:15 AM, ROADKILL666 said:

Finally got the two of them to sl1E2D0776-E2A4-4306-8E9B-CD32882C8AD9.thumb.jpeg.68c2938ca23edaf32dd0c4161421fc10.jpegow down 

The eldest just sent this one of his Snorgi frolicking on the mean streets of Brooklyn

2121364224_Screenshot2022-02-01at10_43.02AM(002).thumb.png.5013163c9790b8c2f797d1b062efd05c.png

• Like 2
4 hours ago, pbd said:

The eldest just sent this one of his Snorgi frolicking on the mean streets of Brooklyn

2121364224_Screenshot2022-02-01at10_43.02AM(002).thumb.png.5013163c9790b8c2f797d1b062efd05c.png

He looks like a real mean one:lol: I would love to see my two in the snow. 

40 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

That is awesome.

Our dog used to pick up his food bowl and follow us around with it, when he thought it was time for dinner (dogs actually have a very good sense of time). He never gave me back half of it, though!

- DSK

I have one that does that too…a great sense of time!

• Like 1

Barley was the worst of 3 Aussies we've had so far. Once excited he just wouldn't quit barking, which meant no one wanted to walk the beach with us. He started out cute though.

00-s1RU9z0YAKuOn_Dn1CghLIVEgD7x87jwL56ub

Better stop, gettin' misty.

• Like 3
On 11/11/2021 at 4:29 PM, blunderfull said:

Maligators are great dogs.  You just have to realize your signing up for the full, no expense paid, all inclusive, thrill ride. You better be able to keep up!  Belgies need a very active household to burn off all that energy and keep them mentally stimulated. If you can't do that, the dog will suffer.  

I've had to turn down several wonderful Belgian Malinois because we're no longer active enough for the dogs. BTW; a Belger (Belgian and German Shep) is a wonderful mix.  

2 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Maligators are great dogs.  You just have to realize your signing up for the full, no expense paid, all inclusive, thrill ride. You better be able to keep up!  Belgies need a very active household to burn off all that energy and keep them mentally stimulated. If you can't do that, the dog will suffer.  

I've had to turn down several wonderful Belgian Malinois because we're no longer active enough for the dogs. BTW; a Belger (Belgian and German Shep) is a wonderful mix.  

Yes indeed they are a handful.   Heading to dog beach with Mali’s can be tough.  Sandi puts her stud either on a strong leash and he watches or the muzzle.   Either way he wants in on all the action.  More than a few times shouting matches ensue whenever they wander near other dogs.  Hassle.

Her female is fine with other dogs but, she’s got the wandering mode on ‘high’ at all times.   They’re smart but you quickly realize Mali’s have pup energy for three years.   Have to work them.

• Like 1

Couple of my friends have Mali's. They're actually VERY well behaved.  But, they're worked daily with the leashed and off-leash commands, and they thrived on it.  Without that stimulation... oi.  

My brother adopted a Rottweiler, an absolutely fantastic dog. First time I met the dog, we ran through the AKC hand signals flawlessly. Unfortunately, my brother was a CPA working insane hours and the dog was left alone for long periods of time. One completely destroyed water softener, one dug up orange tree, and a well-chewed corner of the house later... the dog was rehomed. Shame.  

6 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Couple of my friends have Mali's. They're actually VERY well behaved.  But, they're worked daily with the leashed and off-leash commands, and they thrived on it.  Without that stimulation... oi.  

My brother adopted a Rottweiler, an absolutely fantastic dog. First time I met the dog, we ran through the AKC hand signals flawlessly. Unfortunately, my brother was a CPA working insane hours and the dog was left alone for long periods of time. One completely destroyed water softener, one dug up orange tree, and a well-chewed corner of the house later... the dog was rehomed. Shame.  

That’s tough - Rottys can be great when trained & kept as family.   Otherwise, you know how that goes.   A lot of power to deal with.

Mali’s are so freaking smart, goofy & good looking.  They really take over.  S.has been working with owners of her two other Mali’s on socialization & such.  S. having 4-5 other dogs and all of them traveling together between AZ & Cali keeps them busy & chill.  I think you can do well with any breed if you work all the steps.  I am suspicious of people who don’t like dogs!

8CB326AF-0488-4993-8D58-F6E4DA389567.jpeg

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, blunderfull said:.  I am suspicious of people who don’t like dogs!

True dat!

Dislike dogs=no place in my life.

• Like 2

Auggie Doggie, Aus Red Border Collie. A rescue believe it or not, the sweetest boy ever but for two things: doesnt like strangers (biter) or other dogs. Two previous owners couldn’t manage the strangers issue and he was in danger of being put down due to a few incidents that had been reported. We’ve worked hard the past 2-1/2 years with him and a trainer who specializes in these issues; managing introductions to strangers makes you his best friend in about 20 seconds and you’re in his club from there onward (amazing memory for people he’s already met) but we’re always on high alert for unplanned interactions. Previous  two owners were older women who lived in condos and thought he would be a cute companion, yeah right wrong breed ladies, you fucked this boy up. Six years old but thinks he’s still a pup, stretching his legs and mind since coming to live with us.

17ADB05A-EBBD-4FCF-A4A7-C1CFBC9EFCAB.jpeg

4D152E3C-D511-46C4-B2EC-029639FF7FBA.jpeg

• Like 3
4 hours ago, sshow bob said:

Mercy McBark - July 2010 to February 6, 2022. 

She was a good dog. 

20210501_164447.jpg

My condolences.  It just isn't fair that their lives are so short.

26 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

My condolences.  It just isn't fair that their lives are so short.

Thanks, Ed. I suppose the consolation is thy don't have to be the one left behind. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Pertinacious Tom said:

Um... that's tomorrow. Have a good day anyway.

So it is. Thanks!  My world is poorer today,  but not so poor as yours must be. I hope I gave you something to count as a win today. My gift to you. 

On 2/2/2022 at 7:37 PM, blunderfull said:

That’s tough - Rottys can be great when trained & kept as family.   Otherwise, you know how that goes.   A lot of power to deal with.

Mali’s are so freaking smart, goofy & good looking.  They really take over.  S.has been working with owners of her two other Mali’s on socialization & such.  S. having 4-5 other dogs and all of them traveling together between AZ & Cali keeps them busy & chill.  I think you can do well with any breed if you work all the steps.  I am suspicious of people who don’t like dogs!

this is Cleo. the local pound thought she was a Shepard/Terrier mix. she is full on Mali. she only makes this face for the good local brew.....

cleo beer.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sshow bob said:

So it is. Thanks!  My world is poorer today,  but not so poor as yours must be. I hope I gave you something to count as a win today. My gift to you. 

I just didn't know if that was your way of saying you're going to have to put your dog down tomorrow.

14 minutes ago, Pertinacious Tom said:

I just didn't know if that was your way of saying you're going to have to put your dog down tomorrow.

Fair. I retract my nasty comment, with apologies. I just got the date wrong, I'm afraid. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, sshow bob said:

Fair. I retract my nasty comment, with apologies. I just got the date wrong, I'm afraid. 

Sorry about your dog, Bob. I'm still having fun with my 13 year old girl but she's way out of warranty and I think about losing her a lot these days.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pertinacious Tom said:

Sorry about your dog, Bob. I'm still having fun with my 13 year old girl but she's way out of warranty and I think about losing her a lot these days.

I'm in the same position.  My yellow Lab will be 13 in a couple of months.  he's doing well for an old guy, but I know he won't last forever.

Sunday 3.jpg

• Like 3

I love this thread........and I hate this thread.

Condolences Bob. Being over 70 myself I've said farewell to too many  canine accomplices over the years. Never gets any fucking easier. Problem is I now begin thinking of the inevitable loss well before the event. My nutjob lab is now 11 and I sometimes look at her sadly. She of course parlays that sadness into more treats and swimming so she has the most fun in the remaining time. Ever the manipulator and I the willing victim.

• Like 4