On 12/20/2018 at 6:50 PM, Cal20sailor said:

I did a solo super Mac (Chicago to Port Huron) in 2006 on an F27.  That race is not even in the same league as the R2AK.  

3.  More predictable weather

This is interesting. Why do you think that Great Lakes weather is more predictable? Is it consensus among sailors?

im thinking about R2AK, although it is unlikely I can make it in 2019. I have never sailed the area.

i did a few trips on Great Lakes. Watertribe Lake Michigan Challenge in 2002 (the group doesn’t run it anymore) in a small 16 ft “cruising” beach cat and “Tip of the Mitt” adventure (runs by Kruger Canoe) in 2012?in Norseboat 17.5, both events are 300 coastal miles nonstop,  and I had a scouting weeklong trip prior to Watertribe event. I found Lake Michigan and Lake Huron weather quite unpredictable and definitely more challenging than East Coast weather. At least for a small beach cruiser. 

So how challenging is West Coast weather?

i understand  concerns about tides and cold water and lack of civilization. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The rig came down because of an experimental systems change that caused the lower panels to buckle, no luck involved there and not really a funny story. We dropped a few rigs before this one in previo

I have a little experience sailing the course. And even if I didn't, what's wrong with a little betting on the horse race!?

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, CrazyR said:

This is interesting. Why do you think that Great Lakes weather is more predictable? Is it consensus among sailors?

im thinking about R2AK, although it is unlikely I can make it in 2019. I have never sailed the area.

i did a few trips on Great Lakes. Watertribe Lake Michigan Challenge in 2002 (the group doesn’t run it anymore) in a small 16 ft “cruising” beach cat and “Tip of the Mitt” adventure (runs by Kruger Canoe) in 2012?in Norseboat 17.5, both events are 300 coastal miles nonstop,  and I had a scouting weeklong trip prior to Watertribe event. I found Lake Michigan and Lake Huron weather quite unpredictable and definitely more challenging than East Coast weather. At least for a small beach cruiser. 

I could be wrong, but unlike the races you cited, my route kept me more than 5nm offshore for all but about 20nm of a 530nm course.  The Great Lakes wind forecasts put out by NOAA always specify more than 5nm offshore as the shore effects can be very significant.  

My other thought is that topography could throw a lot of change-ups to what the wind is doing.  Again, I could be wrong.  

Still wouldn't do it solo on a SC30 or R33.

1 hour ago, CrazyR said:

West Coast weather is generally anything except the forecast. Too many variables, too much weird landform interference. The problem of weather spinning in off the Pacific is very hard, they never know it's exact landfall or track or intensity by the time it actually arrives. When you have a series of windstorms like we just had, the forecast for the next day gave a landfall zone of about 300 miles. I have been in blissful calm sunshine while it's pissing rain and blowing 30 knots ten miles away.

There's a whole topic about it here:

• Like 1

Cal20sailor, Ishmael, thank you. The tread was informative.

is there any established weather pattern during days of R2AK? 

For example, during Everglades Challenge, you can be sure there will be at least one cold front coming through the area. So wind will go clockwise circle. They are coming every 5-7 days. Intensity can vary. Where it hits you on the race course is sort of guess game. If it is a night before the start, then you will have a problem with CG and the start. For relatively slow boats timing them becomes crucial. The fastest and fittest can ride it to the finish. If you jumped off the favorite winds due to slowness or exhaustion  then you will suffer with headwinds until next system. Timing weather is sort of an important variable among many.

so, is there any repeating patterns specific for the race time window?

4 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I could be wrong, but unlike the races you cited, my route kept me more than 5nm offshore for all but about 20nm of a 530nm course.  The Great Lakes wind forecasts put out by NOAA always specify more than 5nm offshore as the shore effects can be very significant.  

My other thought is that topography could throw a lot of change-ups to what the wind is doing.  Again, I could be wrong.  

Still wouldn't do it solo on a SC30 or R33.

I see no fear with a sc30, and the r33 is doable, but just harder to push to it's limits, of course the sc 30 cost $100k more, and neither boats are for beginners.

16 minutes ago, CrazyR said:

so, is there any repeating patterns specific for the race time window?

Since the race takes around two weeks there always seems to be a big southern blow at some point. In 2015 and 2017 it hit during the first leg, in 2016 in Queen Charlotte Sound, and last year there was no wind until after the race.

Other than that you can expect no wind between Victoria and Nanimo, variable wind to Campbell River, a good upwind slog through Johnston Strait,  more sporadic wind to Cape Caution,  potential for a nice spinnaker run to Bella Bella down Fitz Huge Sound, more variable wind across Hecate Strait or up one of the other routes, and then no wind around Ketchikan.

Bring all your sails and plan to go upwind through a million transition zones.

• Like 2

In 2015 we had a nice Southerly in the first leg and gale to storm force NW for the whole next week all the way (almost) to Ketchikan. In 2016 we caught a SE blow on day 3/4 in Hecate Strait and Dixon Entrance. It is common during the first two weeks in Georgia and Johnstone Strait to get at least some SE breeze. The earlier in June the more likely. That is largely why we planned the Van Isle 360 for early June. I do agree with Swang, bring ALL your sails.

6 hours ago, Rob Hodge said:

Hey R2AK'ers... 

Dunno if you're interested or not, but i just posted a big update on my site. 

I've bought a successful R2AK boat... but i'm not racing that one. 

http://www.h2ak.com/?p=615

Nice Peterson you bought.

Are you doing leg one or the big race in your wood Lady Jane? Hope someone can help you out for storage.

image.png

6 hours ago, Rob Hodge said:

Hey R2AK'ers... 

Dunno if you're interested or not, but i just posted a big update on my site. 

I've bought a successful R2AK boat... but i'm not racing that one. 

http://www.h2ak.com/?p=615

Congratulations!. Monsoon is just down the dock from my boat. PM me when you get aboard and I'll come by and say Hi.

Yep, an old lightning pulled out of a barn that hadn't seen the water in at least 20 years. Not quite a pile of blackberry bushes, but might put me in the running for dirtbag. 

I'm not sure, honestly. Part of me wants to get the full race in before they make changes, but part of me knows an R2AK first leg, a barefoot raid, a salish 100, and a year sailing the boat and getting to know it and ironing out the kinks before a full R2AK would be wise. but we'll see. slacker tax doesn't hit until jan 15th. 

The monsoon is really a great, amazing boat. I can't wait to get her fixed up and take her out. kinda feel lucky to have landed her. Chris said he had alot of interest but when i approached him, i got the feeling he had been kind of holding out for the right buyer who would actually sail her and not just park her at the dock. that my 13 year old would get to live aboard her and have that experience kinda put him over the top, i think. I'm already talking to matt wood at CYC about getting her rated for PHRF. 

IMG_20180804_111727887-768x1024.jpg

Rob,

I'm 4 time Pacific NW Lightning Champion it the 1980's.   I know a lot about the boats.  I live in N Seattle.  Several people have put cabins on these but it makes us racers scratch our heads.  If you want some help with rigging or ideas drop me a private message, I'd love to see your project.  I do wonder about the bow sprit and the strain it will put on the rest of the boat & rigging.  These are fast planing boats with a huge spinnaker, and I don't see the reason for a sprit other than if you can make an furling assymetrical work for singlehanding.  In any case I read you blog and your workmanship is admirable!  Pretty sure I know the person who owned one of your used sails too; 10699. 

The national class has 60+ years of monthly news letters with results of national and local regattas.  You may find info and history about your boat with some research in those, especially when the district championships were held in Seattle (usually July).   As you mentioned, search fleet 132 and NW District Championships.  Also in the 1970s there was a fleet in Juanita, 414 or some such 400 number, might search that too.  I imagine the class association can help you, they used to have a real office and a helpful, full time paid class secretary.  I know older fleet members who may know previous owners if you come up with some names.  Maybe they're still around.  My brother in law built a Lightning in the 1960s constructed just like yours. 

I'm a tracker junkie so maybe I'll see you at the R2AK start in PT.  All the best and good luck. 

• Like 1

the bowsprint is specifically for a furling asym for single-handing; you read my mind on that one. shorthanded and with the cabin i just do not see a symmetrical with a pole as a viable option. i've eyed a little bit of the class's research into adding an asym and will sort of be following in those footsteps. 

I do get why racers scratch their head at the cabin, but there's no way this boat would be competitive in a class fleet, even if there were any fleets locally for me to race in. it was something like 100 lbs overweight, back in 1965 when it was class measured. however, for overnighting on a small boat you can't beat a small cabin. Plus, the enclosed volume will help with capsize recovery. it'll have to really, really go over to swamp half as much as an unmoddified lightning. between the cabin and the watertight compartments fore and aft it should be able to be recovered from a capsize. 

i did do some research thru the class association and looking thru the scrapbooks of the Corinthian Yacht Club in Seattle. As far as i can tell the boat never won anything, and i've pretty much traced the names of all the previous owners and where the boat has been for most of it's history; except i may have lost alot of my research in my last computer crash. if i can find my notes, we may have to talk. 

I was looking at the Figaro pedal drive system this morning, they have a 4 person setup for an estimated 3.5 knots. Looks like they are looking for a cyclist to join the team.

https://envoleeadventures.blogspot.com/

http://www.nathaliecriouracing.com/join-the-team.html

http://www.rickwill.bigpondhosting.com/Propeller.htm

19 hours ago, Rob Hodge said:

the bowsprint is specifically for a furling asym for single-handing; you read my mind on that one. shorthanded and with the cabin i just do not see a symmetrical with a pole as a viable option. i've eyed a little bit of the class's research into adding an asym and will sort of be following in those footsteps. 

I do get why racers scratch their head at the cabin, but there's no way this boat would be competitive in a class fleet, even if there were any fleets locally for me to race in. it was something like 100 lbs overweight, back in 1965 when it was class measured. however, for overnighting on a small boat you can't beat a small cabin. Plus, the enclosed volume will help with capsize recovery. it'll have to really, really go over to swamp half as much as an unmoddified lightning. between the cabin and the watertight compartments fore and aft it should be able to be recovered from a capsize. 

i did do some research thru the class association and looking thru the scrapbooks of the Corinthian Yacht Club in Seattle. As far as i can tell the boat never won anything, and i've pretty much traced the names of all the previous owners and where the boat has been for most of it's history; except i may have lost alot of my research in my last computer crash. if i can find my notes, we may have to talk. 

No dog in this and call me Captain Obvious but test that capsize thing.  Am or was a dinghy racer - not Lightning - and served on RC and safety boat for few Lightning regattas.  Decent sailors AFAIK but also know that they did capsize and on occasion could not self rescue.  One boat (newer build) turtled quite quickly and could not be righted.  Was towed in  that way.  Was a late Fall race with very cold water.

48 minutes ago, unShirley said:

4 crew sitting next to the transom.....

I hear ya, it may not work out that well dragging the stern but Jungle Kitty was inspiring.

On 12/28/2018 at 9:23 AM, Wess said:

No dog in this and call me Captain Obvious but test that capsize thing.  Am or was a dinghy racer - not Lightning - and served on RC and safety boat for few Lightning regattas.  Decent sailors AFAIK but also know that they did capsize and on occasion could not self rescue.  One boat (newer build) turtled quite quickly and could not be righted.  Was towed in  that way.  Was a late Fall race with very cold water.

oh yeah. lots of testing will happen. 

most of the assumptions i have are based on a stability study done on wooden lightnings with various flotation options added that the class did. modeled the entire class legal wooden boat in the computer and ran the numbers it's pretty thorough. 

https://www.lightningclass.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=93488&module_id=286767

mine has the fore and aft watertights installed in it (although the forward is a station further forward than the tests they did) and more than half the remaining space is enclosed by the cabin so it won't 'scoop' on righting as much.

with the bulkheads and no cabin, it maintains a positive righting moment till about 140 degrees.  i think the cabin may either have little effect on this, or a positive effect.

tests will be done, crash pumps installed, etc. i know what it's like to capsize a small boat solo- i have the dubious honor of having turtled and self rescued in the 2017 first leg. 

• Like 1

No myth, there is a front page and r2ak'ers should find some viewing entertainment in this video of a deviant Norwegian sailing a small boat in winter. He films the frosty morning with the trials and tribulations of getting ready to sail with frozen gear that should be required watching for r2ak.:unsure:

I'm not saying that the race to Alaska is cold in June, but a song was written with lyrics that include..."springtime in Alaska, it's 40 below..." http://sailinganarchy.com/2019/01/02/brain-freeze/

He videos himself twice [with 3 reefs] capsizing in the waves. He used 1in webbing from bow eye to stern along the gunwale, to hold on and help right the boat. Also, an empty milk jug made for a decent mast float and you can see that working. I thought that barney post is too high for fresh winds.

He speaks english well, like most in that country. No trace of Canadianisms like "eh?" :DR2AKers be warned you may pick up this trait from racing through Canada to Alaska. US border towns are infected already.

The boat is a Topper Zenon with a large Barney post, 3 reefs, furling jib and open deck. https://www.toppersailboats.com/the-boats/#xenon

48 minutes ago, sfd said:

He is in Norway but I believe the skipper is a Croat.

Thanks and sorry Igor.

I saw his videos from a few years ago and emailed him after I watched his catamaran video...inspiration for the r2ak.

8 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

No myth, there is a front page and r2ak'ers should find some viewing entertainment in this video of a deviant Norwegian sailing a small boat in winter. He films the frosty morning with the trials and tribulations of getting ready to sail with frozen gear that should be required watching for r2ak.:unsure:

I'm not saying that the race to Alaska is cold in June, but a song was written with lyrics that include..."springtime in Alaska, it's 40 below..." http://sailinganarchy.com/2019/01/02/brain-freeze/

He videos himself twice [with 3 reefs] capsizing in the waves. He used 1in webbing from bow eye to stern along the gunwale, to hold on and help right the boat. Also, an empty milk jug made for a decent mast float and you can see that working. I thought that barney post is too high for fresh winds.

He speaks english well, like most in that country. No trace of Canadianisms like "eh?" :DR2AKers be warned you may pick up this trait from racing through Canada to Alaska. US border towns are infected already.

The boat is a Topper Zenon with a large Barney post, 3 reefs, furling jib and open deck. https://www.toppersailboats.com/the-boats/#xenon

This guy seems like the ultimate R2AK solo candidate.

• Like 1

Some news items to share including this article on Pitoraq, which also shows how they set up for oars. http://www.canadianyachting.ca/lifestyle/profiles/4844-r2ak-update

Is this the dark horse to best a Figaro2?

There are other oar options for smaller boats including these.

SailboatsToGo»Oarlock Towers

Steel Oarlock Stands at nrs.com

NRS Oar Tower | Raft Frames | Rowing Frames | Clavey

DRE Oar Tower, Cast w/Bushing - 51418281

23 deg oar angle

How to Size Your Oars | Shaw and Tenney

Oars on a sailboat. Oar towers Pearson Ariel Page

Colin Angus. Fixed Seat Rowing Geometry - Angus Rowboats

Rowing Geometry - Angus Rowboats 40 deg stretcher angle

Ventian oarlock. Fórcola | Journey to Perplexity

Reading about ocean rowers again. rowing the Atlantic solo: 10 weird things that happen

PT builder. SpinDrift Ocean Rowing

Haida Gwaii. Mystery object off Haida Gwaii may be old nuclear bomb | Vancouver Sun

All the info a new team needs about the race. A lot of info including audio of hypothermia[he did immersion testing] sleep deprivation[ he stayed up the last 3 days], thoughts on the Seascape 18 and animal encounters. The Sea Runners – Race to Alaska, 2015

A 4ft monkey has done the r2ak twice. Lightning fans here! Team Hodge – Dinghy cruising Puget Sound with a sock monkey for crew.

A project. Lightning sailboat - boats - by owner

Crew? Race 2 Alaska — Seaforth Expeditions

New team, an Olson 30. https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race/team-dazed-and-confused/

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Today the Slacker Tax takes effect for r2ak entries...:o

A new team is posted,. a Bolger Chewbacca. https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race/team-auklet/

I like that cabin top, perfect for the PNW. The rig looks great with that boat. https://sailingauklet.com/about/

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/another-weds-photo-day.189231/

All things chewbacca...http://www.chebacco.com/

In 2016, r2ak Mad dogs enjoyed high tea in their drysuits at the Empress Hotel. Today the hotel has a mad dog to greet them.

Well, ok it's not mad.... Puppy Love: Empress Hotel's new canine greeter a big hit | CHEK

https://www.deviantart.com/gwazan/art/Home-Stretch-192989963

Home Stretch by gwazan

I see a Melges 24 entered too. https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race/team-educated-guess/

https://www.facebook.com/teameducatedguess/

I looked for a pic of an interior but google fails...that must be tight with 2 or 3 sails and gear and off watch...cruel, even:wacko:

Some heavy wind training for Envolee, the Figaro2. https://envoleeadventures.blogspot.com/

Race News https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race-participants/

More keelboat teams have entered and it is shaping up to be a fine race, with another SC 27 as well as a Mel24, a J24 and a Quibble. A Hobie mashup team from Surrey[yes, Surrey!] and an Angus Rowcruiser.

I expected to see a tri team by now but certainly someone will be there to compete for the line honors. Will it be Pear Shaped Racing?

European boat of the year is....https://www.facebook.com/racetoalaska/

Congrats, Mathieu...

I'd love to know who is planning to go that hasn't yet shown up on the website. My hunch is that it will be a big year for the race. I got an e-mail today from someone entering in a F-31 who wanted my pedal drive and I know of a Schock 40 (canting keel, twin rudders) that is planning to race. An F-25 maybe. I'm pretty sure that Dragon, a very high powered 35' trimaran is going and what about the Sea cart 30?

On 1/21/2019 at 7:09 PM, Russell Brown said:

I'd love to know who is planning to go that hasn't yet shown up on the website. My hunch is that it will be a big year for the race. I got an e-mail today from someone entering in a F-31 who wanted my pedal drive and I know of a Schock 40 (canting keel, twin rudders) that is planning to race. An F-25 maybe. I'm pretty sure that Dragon, a very high powered 35' trimaran is going and what about the Sea cart 30?

I think canting keels are really interesting, and I always marvel at the amazing block-and-tackles in some of the mini 6.5s, but the motorized ones always struck me as crossing the line: using batteries for something like a chartplotter is one thing, but using dockside-captured energy to perform a basic function in operating your boat during a race seems to violate the spirit of racing without motors, and certainly the spirit of the R2AK. Obviously it's not propelling the boat forward, but clearly their boat wouldn't work as intended without a system that requires more than just human power.

Unless the Schock will be required to manually cant the keel, in which case I say, "God bless 'em!"

Re the canting keel, I would say everyone gets the chance to charge up in Victoria and then you are on your own. If they think they could manage to make it for 5 days givertake then so be it. I can't throw stones, I have a pump to shed my ballast water and the RC said fine as long as it does not propel. Given the current draw, I have a manual pump as well as an elvstrom.

Good story on weather prep for a top team. David Burch Navigation Blog: Search results for r2ak

Tang. More than just a fake drink, you can clean your boat with it. Tang®: Wacky Uses

Gloves? R2AK? The Best Touch-Screen Gloves for Your Frozen Fingers | PCMag.com

Good story. Rite Of Inside Passage - Soundings Online

999f65eb-4610-47c9-b4f0-519ffc741630.jpg.8cdf62557642274e1bc0cb00204d0889.jpg

See you there. 

Todd

What! Race to Alaska Tailgate Party
When! Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 4 pm until the free food and beer run out
Where! 901 Occidental Ave South, Seattle, WA 

And here it is again…

The Seattle Boat Show: our towering monolith of annual plastic baubles for sale amid trade show banners and pressed palms. And we are pressing palms once again beneath its great shadow.

That’s right. The Race to Alaska is tailgating the boat show for the second year. And we are teaming up with the media marvels Three Sheets Northwestbecause it means more free food and beer for everyone.

It’s free and a party. Two of the three best things that happen on land.  

69964949-f775-4ef9-a6fc-1e50019d2e93.pngWe’ll have (mostly) legal games of chance, music, food, stories and people, yes people. We’d love you to be one of those people. The bigger the crowd the bigger the thank you. The louder the music, the harder it will be for all of us to be arrested, and if you don't come we'll end up feeding 200 lbs of questionable hot dogs to our dog, Jonas.

We’re occupying the boat show, in the best way, and we think you should too.

4 PM on this Saturday, January 26. We’ll be firing up the grill so eat our meat or bring your own, drink whatever it is that we have in the red cups or bring something that won't come back up. Just show up with your game face and your running shoes.

Questions? Search your soul and then contact us after Hare Krishna strikes out. It'll be a parking lot right next to Centurylink field.

We’re taking it back! Taking back what you ask? Come find out.

I didn't make the party at the boat show but they posted some pics. Race To Alaska by Northwest Maritime Center

Another possible change to the R2AK could be a new challenge. Electric boats. It could be just the first leg. It could be one rule. You have to use a shagged 26ft Bayliner.

It sounds odd, but if the NWMC is promoting small boats, wood boats, sailing and ancilliary courses why not help change the mobo world with a race. It's not my idea, I noticed that a major bicycle event is promoting electric bikes by including them in the "short course"

E-bikes to ride in GranFondo Whistler's Medio | Squamish Chief

Items of Interest for racers through British Columbia

Dinner for suvivalist Roger Mann? 5 foot long iguana missing in Oak Bay 

Wow, don't see that often...

Islanders wowed by Fallstreak hole in the clouds Monday

Binge drinking up the last 4 r2aks?

Health reports finds binge drinking up, vegetable eating down in B.C. | CTV News

I see why the r2ak gives us knives... Sea lion bites Alaska fisherman, tries to drag him into sea | CBC News

6 hours ago, Contumacious Tom said:

From Mocking Ads:

That thing has a 33' mast. I like the boat to mast ratio.

With the added cabin she may take some work to get on a plane. A big dinghy. Better things have come out of Kent, the Ranger 20. No team has chose that yet.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/raven-usa

http://www.capecodshipbuilding.com/fleet/index.php?boat=raven

https://www.facebook.com/Raven-Class-24-Sailboat-120239798022121/

On 1/21/2019 at 7:09 PM, Russell Brown said:

Rocketship Still for sale, sa classifieds, 4 berths, currently assesembled at Sea Ranch, Napa

$34k

20190126_095438.jpg

20190126_093721.jpg

20190127_164548.jpg

20190111_123203.jpg

On 2/7/2019 at 7:17 AM, multihuler said:

Rocketship Still for sale, sa classifieds, 4 berths, currently assesembled at Sea Ranch, Napa

$34k

Assesembled might be scaring them off...:ph34r:

When they ask you at the border  if you have a weapon to declare, don't hesitate....

• 2 weeks later...

From the trailer sailer dying thread and Crossy's link, this is an interesting video on the route, weather, afety,and racer meeting of the Seascape race. A small boat challenge with one design. I like the crotch strap promotion and the laminated chart they give each team, not a bad idea for a momento, either. A laminated chart for leg one would suit the r2ak, as the first leg has a shipping convergence zone that you will be disqualified if you drift , row or sail into. The Whiskey Golf Zone outside of Nanaimo has restrictions as well so maybe the RC has asked it be clear for transit for a couple days.

• Like 2
On 1/15/2019 at 4:38 PM, Norse Horse said:

I see a Melges 24 entered too. https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race/team-educated-guess/

https://www.facebook.com/teameducatedguess/

I looked for a pic of an interior but google fails...that must be tight with 2 or 3 sails and gear and off watch...cruel, even:wacko:

Some heavy wind training for Envolee, the Figaro2. https://envoleeadventures.blogspot.com/

I know them pretty well, all of them VERY good sailors and professional mariners as well. 2 of them them have also know those waters extremely well also. that said yeah doing this race in a megles 24 sounds shitty. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, frozenhawaiian said:

I know them pretty well, all of them VERY good sailors and professional mariners as well. 2 of them them have also know those waters extremely well also. that said yeah doing this race in a megles 24 sounds shitty. 

Going upwind on a Melges 24 in Johnstone Strait in 25-30 knots of wind against tide is going to be character forming.......

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, D Wayne G said:

I think a Melges 24 is a great choice for three tough young guys. A tiny cabin is much better than no cabin at all. I've been waiting to see a Moore 24 enter. That would be a great R2AK choice as well.

I agree, I can't wait to see the team compete. Should be fun.

Cool boat.

The top 3 teams for the fastest solo [so far] appear to be the 24 ft cat, the Hobie 18 trimaran and Roger Mann, assuming Roger uses his EC tri setup with sail on his rowing craft.

I see that the Hobie tri team is a distance cyclist, so that should be enough to contend for first solo.

The team descriptions of witty prose have started being posted. I remember how funny they were in 2015 when it started...

https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race/team-old-fart-in-a-windstorm/

https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race/team-ketchikan-yacht-club/

https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race/team-soggykru/

On 2/23/2019 at 3:16 PM, rhpaw said:

Yes, the bios are a bit tame this year.

(but I'm a sassy bitch)

I'm an ex-commodore too-should I be worried at the Ruckus?:ph34r::)

There are some new bios inc Roger Mann, I guess you got the email....https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race-participants/

New teams listed include 2 rowing teams, a Santana 20, an Olsen and a paddleboarder.

https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race-participants/

An interesting story. Building “Clean Bay”: Zero-Emission Pumpout Boat | Three Sheets Northwest

Colin Angus link for a solar panel. WindyNation 100 Watt 12V Flexible Solar Panel with Monocrystalline Solar Cells

And some wondered about the axe on Team Bunny Whaler. Sooke man stalked by cougar hits it with an axe

seattle dirtbag boats - craigslist

Dirtbag ethos https://www.mountainlifemedia.ca/2019/02/how-to-not-be-a-dirtbag/

R2AK 2020 proposed entry for a blind team. May the RC see fit to let them try, for what would be an epic challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a fast tri team is listed, an F28r, to strike fear in the mono fleet...https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race/team-trickster/

April 15 is the deadline for entry, wow time flies...https://r2ak.com/r2ak-race-application/

Not sure what we will get for weather in June. https://www.cheknews.ca/bc-hydro-is-in-full-conservation-mode-at-its-vancouver-island-dams-541766/

12 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

Didn't I see somewhere that Team Pearshaped have entered their awesome tri this year?

Yep Russell posted that there will be a few more multis. Maybe even a Reynolds 33 with a new owner ?:D

https://teampearshapedracing.wordpress.com/author/teampearshapedracing/

I expect some teams will apply at the last week-day-evening, of Apr15.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

Didn't I see somewhere that Team Pearshaped have entered their awesome tri this year?

https://www.facebook.com/Team-Pear-Shaped-Racing-602588409906850/inbox/?mailbox_id=602588409906850&selected_item_id=1246950065470678

• Like 1

More tri's listed now.

An F31r, Team Givin the Horns. 2019 Teams – Full Race Participants | Race to Alaska

The horns are owned already I'm afraid. Dio’s widow SLAMS Gene Simmons’ devil horns trademark attempt | Music | Entertainment | Express.co.uk

A Searunner tri, Team Fly Baby Fly. https://www.searunner.com/index.php/designs/searunner-trimarans

A seaworthy design but only a 28ft mast.

Team Seaforth, near me. A cool looking custom sharpie design. https://www.seaforthexpeditions.com/

N2AK looks to be racing this year in the sharpie. https://www.facebook.com/N2AKr2ak2017/

https://www.social-searcher.com/social-buzz/?wblng=&ntw=&psttyp=&searchid=&period=&value=&fbpage=&q5=r2ak+2019

On February 2, 2019 at 3:30 PM, Ishmael said:

Oh, man. I'd love to see that in a 30-knot headwind in Johnstone Strait.

00x0x_fneMYYBA5Sh_1200x900.jpg

Stay away from the pedals when the gusts hit!

On 3/12/2019 at 10:10 AM, 40Plus said:

https://www.facebook.com/Team-Pear-Shaped-Racing-602588409906850/inbox/?mailbox_id=602588409906850&selected_item_id=1246950065470678

Paid our fee today, so it's officially official.  

Now hopefully the replacement nets will fit, otherwise we're not going anywhere...

H'Wood

new_nets.jpg

• Like 3

I see 3 sea kayakers listed in the Proving Ground teams. The race has had nasty conditions twice on the southern straits so this is def a challenge in a kayak.

https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-stage-one-participants/

Some interesting team names for the bio writer to have fun with.

Team Arm and a Leg...which leg are we referring to?

Madame Mollusk...no shellfish ban in the r2ak and bivalve is an acceptable lifestyle choice these days...

Gorgonian Girl...well, that may be a college thing or a high tech company, but it says here it is either a beautiful sea fan or a sea whip...basically a horny coral...I could say something about a certain skin kayak doing the same leg but I think the bio writer will have something for us...

http://animal-world.com/Aquarium-Coral-Reefs/What-Are-Gorgonians

• Like 1

The keelboat fleet has never seen these kind of matchups before.

2 Olsons, 2 SC27 and 2 M24,

along with an SJ30, Windward 30, Millar27 and J24 to date.

The smaller multis include a TI, a Hobie mashup, an Angus Rowcruiser, a Hawaiian sailing canoe and possibly the Podcruiser if he keeps his EC setup.

3 fast tris now including Pear Shaped Racing[and the Canadian?]

https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race-participants/

The best for last...Beautiful Madame Ziska...https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race/team-ziska-2/

Image result for ziska

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

It will be interesting to see where the Figaro fits in to this mix.  Looking forward to it.

EDIT - I just read the write-up for Madame Ziska - brilliant!  The bio and the concept.

I thought it would be in with the fast multis for top spot, I didn't mean to leave them out of the list.

Same for the Malcom Tennant Streaker, not sure where it fits in the speed department. I expect it would be faster with 2 or 3 if they keep it light.

Ziska, 52ft of grand lady. My that will need to be kedged in the last mile to Victoria...:D

Team Ziska Race to Alaska 2019
9 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

I thought it would be in with the fast multis for top spot, I didn't mean to leave them out of the list.

Same for the Malcom Tennant Streaker, not sure where it fits in the speed department. I expect it would be faster with 2 or 3 if they keep it light.

Ziska, 52ft of grand lady. My that will need to be kedged in the last mile to Victoria...:D

Team Ziska Race to Alaska 2019

Rowing her is going to be character building!  But if it is blowing 45kts on the nose all the way to Ketchikan, then she may be in with a shout......but I doubt it.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone a) either interested or b) can you point me to the best place to post for:

- finding someone to sail our Olson 30 from Ketchikan to Seattle after R2AK leaving Ketchikan weekend of June 15/16 (+/-)?

We're thinking 2 plane tickets to Ketchikan plus some modest $ since we will at that point be completely broke.  Olson 30 has new rigging, and is in great shape.  We will plan to get an outboard to Ketchikan unless the pedal drive is preferred.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, beardog said:

Anyone a) either interested or b) can you point me to the best place to post for:

- finding someone to sail our Olson 30 from Ketchikan to Seattle after R2AK leaving Ketchikan weekend of June 15/16 (+/-)?

We're thinking 2 plane tickets to Ketchikan plus some modest $ since we will at that point be completely broke.  Olson 30 has new rigging, and is in great shape.  We will plan to get an outboard to Ketchikan unless the pedal drive is preferred.

Thanks!

How many years are you willing to allow them on this delivery?

28 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

How many years are you willing to allow them on this delivery?

haha.  Well since you asked I was think about 0.038 years +/-.   But I don't know, maybe depending on who it is they swing into Seattle with the Olson, pick us up, and we all head to the South Pacific.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, ordkhntr said:

Any word on what the changes are going to be in 2020?

No word. Your guess is as good as any. A biennial event is logical. Electric drive boats allowed? Another waypoint?

How small a craft will be allowed to do the full race? No Laser or Sunfish have done it, although paddleboards have been allowed.

Monetize the Dirtbag Award! Fill it [the bag of dirt] with Canadian Twoonies, Looneys and any lesser CDN or US coins with a boat or a beaver on it!

ScreenShot0426.jpg

• Like 1

Here are a few quotes from an email exchange I had with an R2AK representative late last year:

"Mostly it's getting an enhancement as we attempt to re-kick the riddle a bit. There was nothing announced at the Blazer Party other than, "expect a major change in 2020". We've got a couple of options we are exploring, but we're not announcing which one we're going with for the 2020 race until the 2019 Blazer Party (+/- September 6th).

If the boat you were going to enter was going to be allowed in 2019, it would be allowed in 2020 as well. Perhaps better put, we are not putting more restrictions on types of boats (still only just "no motors"). 

So, if you were planning on your boat being allowed in a 2020 race with a static set of race rules, it would be allowed in 2020 with the big change up as well."

Speculate if you must but we'd all be better off if you didn't.
Patience... patience.
On 4/4/2019 at 12:44 PM, beardog said:

Thanks!

I will (probably) be shipping a 6x12 cargo trailer from Seattle (or maybe PT) to Ketchikan with some stuff for the cruise home. (Outboard, dinghy, etc.) That is, if I can get enough interest from other racers to share the trailer space. Otherwise, I'll just ship a pallet. Either way, if you want to share the space and cost, let me know. Open to any other racers, too...you can get quite a few outboards in an enclosed 6x12 trailer.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, wjquigs said:

I will (probably) be shipping a 6x12 cargo trailer from Seattle (or maybe PT) to Ketchikan with some stuff for the cruise home. (Outboard, dinghy, etc.) That is, if I can get enough interest from other racers to share the trailer space. Otherwise, I'll just ship a pallet. Either way, if you want to share the space and cost, let me know. Open to any other racers, too...you can get quite a few outboards in an enclosed 6x12 trailer.

I'm up for that, if it's from PT to KTN. i have a 2.5 hp and tank.

31 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

I'm up for that, if it's from PT to KTN. i have a 2.5 hp and tank.

Sherman? Leopard? You can probably get it on a BC Ferry as long as the propane is turned off.

7 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Sherman? Leopard? You can probably get it on a BC Ferry as long as the propane is turned off.

Old Johnson 2 stroke Tank. Canadian Light Infantry model.

On 4/9/2019 at 8:15 PM, wjquigs said:

We learned that shipping outboard gas tanks is a big no no. I carried the tank empty onboard after draining and letting it air out well.        I also drained the oil out of the engine, etc. This was shipping with AML, the barge service from Seattle to Alaska

I had a bad experience shipping an empty tank by Air to Ketchikan. We got busted for a dangerous cargo infringement. Could have been really bad for us but thankfully we got an official warning. It was stupid of us really. Consider the empty tank positive floatation.  Air freight is a viable option though as Alaska Air charges about a buck a pound. 

• Like 1

Monday is the last day to sign up for the race. I should post the promo video but I found a Bloom County cartoon that seems to say, do you have what it takes?

Image result for bloom county looking down pants

New teams listed, a paddleboarder for the 1st leg, an Corsair24 and a Cheasapeake Light Craft style entry.

Hope to see Team N2AK this year, that is a fine match with the Sechelt sharpie team.

Looks like past winner Team Sail Like a Girl will be back with the Melges 32, another fine matchup to the experienced Figaro2 team. This seems to be the year to watch the most races within a race.
Sail Like a Girl have an international sailor on the crew that may give them the edge.

PT Watercraft epoxy tips. Nice. epoxy phd – Sailing Anarchy
  • Like 1
On 4/10/2019 at 2:59 PM, Alexw said:

Teams Wingnuts and Ripple up for it too, if it's from PT.

It looks like we have 4-5 teams interested, depending on cost. The problem with shipping from PT is that the trailer has to go back to Seattle anyway to get to the AML terminal. If anybody who's interested in shipping also has a friend with a tow vehicle that's going towards Seattle, we can make it work. PM me to keep from cluttering the thread.