What ever happened to supermaxi WildThing?

It was on a Salvage Auction but was pulled.  The guy who financed the 2014 Campaign apparently ended up with it & is supposed to be in Europe as Jacko says. 

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/how-a-bitter-feud-sank-the-sydney-to-hobart-race-yacht-wild-thing/news-story/368c502e07b7b0594b57b55b2ba6b319

David Price’s company has since had some court action & was deregistered for GST last time I looked. 

14 hours ago, Luketougas1 said:

After the bank took it, where did Grant Warrington's Wildthing go? Where does she sit?

Luke,

The Boat is still in Europe as far as I know. The bank didn’t take the boat. Grants partner David took the Boat to Europe after they have a fulling out. It’s my understanding that David had some issues after running it aground and it’s tied up in a legal fight with the insurance company and sitting in the med in a ship yard I’m told awaiting a outcome.

The last time I spoke to grant about the Boat he was still fighting with David. 

Lets face it, Wild Thing is only a donor Boat now as it’s not been raced or maintained in the last few years. It’s a sad way to end a good boats life. Even Grant last time I talked to him about the boat told me the parts were worth more than the Boat. 

If the boat Boat is sold the best thing a new owner could do is build a new hull like the ragamuffin crew did.

pulpit 

1 minute ago, pulpit said:

Luke,

The Boat is still in Europe as far as I know. The bank didn’t take the boat. Grants partner David took the Boat to Europe after they have a fulling out. It’s my understanding that David had some issues after running it aground and it’s tied up in a legal fight with the insurance company and sitting in the med in a ship yard I’m told awaiting a outcome.

The last time I spoke to grant about the Boat he was still fighting with David. 

Lets face it, Wild Thing is only a donor Boat now as it’s not been raced or maintained in the last few years. It’s a sad way to end a good boats life. Even Grant last time I talked to him about the boat told me the parts were worth more than the Boat. 

If the boat Boat is sold the best thing a new owner could do is build a new hull like the ragamuffin crew did.

pulpit 

thank you,

do you know where in the med it is?

1 minute ago, Luketougas1 said:

thank you,

do you know where in the med it is?

I think it’s in Spain , I, not shore.

if yo7 go looking in these forums some found her earlier this year. 

Pulpit 

21 minutes ago, Luketougas1 said:

also,

where is ragamuffin 90?

do any of you guys know where she went after she sold?

Luke, 

I thought she was on a morring on the Sydney harbour last I heard.

and before you  ask about “Maximus”, her deck, mast and fittings were used for Ragamuffin 100 now Scallywag 100.

pulpit 

36 minutes ago, pulpit said:

Luke, 

I thought she was on a morring on the Sydney harbour last I heard.

and before you  ask about “Maximus”, her deck, mast and fittings were used for Ragamuffin 100 now Scallywag 100.

pulpit 

So the maximus hull was scrapped but everything else was used for the Ragamuffin 100 build?

Ragamuffin 90 is on the hard at SCM - I see her white mast every time I drive across the Anzac Bridge. She is still for sale according to Race Boats or whatever it's called.

On 12/10/2018 at 2:27 AM, Onthelock! said:

The boat was NOT in Norway this year, or last. The last time it went anywhere was Algeria/Tunisia to get out of EU waters.  The thing is in Mahon, Menorca, still requiring lots of €€€€ to be spent.....

Nobody seems to know where the mysterious Pirate Ship is? Menorca.? It might end up Island hopping for the rest of it's life if the engine works? Not sure why the interest suddenly?

39 minutes ago, DtM said:

Luke, who purports to be interested in all large boats but cannot do any of his own research.

Not Luke again...? And love the questions. Like he has woken from a deep sleep and is suddenly trying to play catch up with the sailing world? What will be the next question?

On 12/10/2018 at 12:37 AM, joke989 said:

If it was this one you meant.

Wildthing was in Norway this summer. Had been to Egersund. And it have Kiel as a home port. 

B1852936-E77E-47DB-B601-801109D1D3F3.jpeg

A1A79D10-1525-4258-91E5-AB15898A0480.jpeg

3B8936E6-E9C9-40AE-B8D6-CF3602D7E390.jpeg

That's the smallest rig I have ever seen on a 100 footer by about 20 feet.! It belongs on a 70 footer

58 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

That's the smallest rig I have ever seen on a 100 footer by about 20 feet.! It belongs on a 70 footer

Ba-da -ding! Correctimundo. Choose anything off the top shelf!

Last I heard there was another spare mast off a VO70 for it  lying around in a shed in Sunshine. Free to a good home ?

Why the sudden interest in the old W/Thing? Sunfish getting jumpy about this time of year?

8 hours ago, terrafirma said:

I was thinking the same thing! The rig also looks like it is way to far forward by modern standards. 

14 hours ago, terrafirma said:

6 hours ago, heavym210 said:

I was thinking the same thing! The rig also looks like it is way to far forward by modern standards. 

Grant shortened the rig many times ..... not by choice

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
On 12/9/2018 at 1:17 AM, Luketougas1 said:

So the maximus hull was scrapped but everything else was used for the Ragamuffin 100 build?

Can you rename this thread ‘Which 100 footer would you buy’ ?

Maybe at lunch time. You don’t want to get caught using your phone in class.

15 hours ago, jackolantern said:

So wild thing popped up as the Fast and Furio saiing team for the Barcolana in Italy with a couple new sails, and a couple old faces......

54452927-8BB4-48C3-861B-0582B4250E06.jpeg

Why not? He’s done a few miles in the boat...

4 hours ago, Sugarscoop said:

This it? Edit: (nope Morning Glory)

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 12.50.20 PM.png

Trieste Italy with the Castle in the background. The Barcolana race is ridiculous over 2000 boats. Hers is some footage of the start looks light and you can see Wild Thing a couple of times.

2 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

what about RIO and fit a canting keel...

The story goes that it wasn’t strong enough for the RM. In its current form it might give WT a run anyway. In its last Hobart WT was beaten by two VO70’s & the Botin 80. They did go on s flyer though. 

9 hours ago, M26 said:

They plan to retrofit her...   And do all the 4 classics in one year.  Not sure if it will be money spent good tho. 

arca.png

A full blown CQS vapourware program! 

10 hours ago, M26 said:

They plan to retrofit her...   And do all the 4 classics in one year.  Not sure if it will be money spent good tho. 

arca.png

I remember reports that the keel used to flex so much paint would peel off.  Not going to stand up to foiling loads/fatigue cycles.

4 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

I remember reports that the keel used to flex so much paint would peel off.  Not going to stand up to foiling loads/fatigue cycles.

It is pretty stiff at the arse end....that is because Warro left the old transom intact when it was stretched. LOL

11 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

It had a 7 metre keel fin built at Hart Marine with carbon front and rear sections built around a new metal centre column. I never heard of flex issues.