Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Pulpit,

Swan would like to build more, but this is a one off custom build with nothing standard about it. You don’t get Killian Bushe to run a production build. Every tool and part was custom made for this boat. There is nothing standard about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couldn't help myself.... 125, Comanche, VO70, IMOCA60, Class40, Mini

I can't believe you are all talking about Skorpios correcting out.!  They have no farkin intention to correct out.! Their "ONLY" intention is to win line honors and break records. Correcting out is fo

Haven't watched yet, but should be some interesting info in the vid  

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

Pulpit,

Swan would like to build more, but this is a one off custom build with nothing standard about it. You don’t get Killian Bushe to run a production build. Every tool and part was custom made for this boat. There is nothing standard about it.

chimp too,

You could call this a custom build, after all when building a new boat before you get tooling it is a custom build. 

 

The simple thing is they now have tooling to build more if they want too. Once you have the computer programming to run your CNC routers for this design  then you don't have to have moulds. 

 

And as far as having Killian Bushe to run the build ? When you are talking a big boat and big $$$$'s then you get the best people and experience you to can manage the build. 

 

Stop and think about this, Swan wouldn't of built this boat if they didn't think that they would have a few of their current owners in mind to upgrade to the 125. It's like buying cars for most people, you pick the brand that you like and don't buy any other brand. It's the same for most Swan owners, I buy  my first Swan  and I fall in love with them  and I only upgrade to  another Swan.

 

I'm shore that Swan have a few owners in mind for this model boat and give it 6 -12 months and I think that a few contracts could be closets signing for this model.

 

Pulpit

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, frozenhawaiian said:

dunno about hiding $20mil on taxes, especially for things that are infamous tax dodges, such as boats 

Boat is from Georgetown enough said...! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They are saying this thing is targeting 15 Knots upwind...! If that's true she will look impressive during the start of of the Fastnet powering underneath all the smaller boats. Off course no rating that I can see yet so will be interesting to see how it goes against Comanche in the Rolex Middle Sea Race and Rambler in the Fastnet.! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

They are saying this thing is targeting 15 Knots upwind...! If that's true she will look impressive during the start of of the Fastnet powering underneath all the smaller boats. Off course no rating that I can see yet so will be interesting to see how it goes against Comanche in the Rolex Middle Sea Race and Rambler in the Fastnet.! 

What a surprise, bigger boat goes faster!

Who would have predicted that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, terrafirma said:

They are saying this thing is targeting 15 Knots upwind...! If that's true she will look impressive during the start of of the Fastnet powering underneath all the smaller boats. Off course no rating that I can see yet so will be interesting to see how it goes against Comanche in the Rolex Middle Sea Race and Rambler in the Fastnet.! 

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2021 at 7:21 AM, pulpit said:

Stop and think about this, Swan wouldn't of built this boat if they didn't think that they would have a few of their current owners in mind to upgrade to the 125

If someone is willing to pay for it all, then they'll build it for one client.

Do they hope to sell more? Probably, especially after the first hull got scrapped and they had to build a second so they're costs are way bigger than anticipated.

Do they expect to sell more? Honestly I doubt it. It's a pretty limited market for 100+ft super maxis. I'm not sure the hull design is even feasible for a fast superyacht - there are very few canting keel superyachts. I'd like to be wrong, seeing 3 or so of these line up together would be pretty cool. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NZK said:

If someone is willing to pay for it all, then they'll build it for one client.

Do they hope to sell more? Probably, especially after the first hull got scrapped and they had to build a second so they're costs are way bigger than anticipated.

Do they expect to sell more? Honestly I doubt it. It's a pretty limited market for 100+ft super maxis. I'm not sure the hull design is even feasible for a fast superyacht - there are very few canting keel superyachts. I'd like to be wrong, seeing 3 or so of these line up together would be pretty cool. 

Yeah I think the owner realized later that this boat is a great tool for record breaking. Your right limited market for this size boat. It's not a superyacht in the cruising sense as it has a racing carbon black interior. And like the Wally's I don't think many have a canting keel? So this is a boat like Comanche but bigger by 25%. Interesting times when these 2 boats meet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Your right limited market for this size boat. It's not a superyacht in the cruising sense as it has a racing carbon black interior. And like the Wally's I don't think many have a canting keel?

AFAIK none of the Wally's have a canting keel. Lifting keels are very common but that's a completely different concept. The only one I know of is the Mconaghy 80 Singularity but that thing has been plagued with issues so isn't a great billboard...

Adding an interior is not so complicated but the hull shape and canting keel of the 125 might make it unsuitable for regular cruising. You'd also have to massively depower the rig as a superyacht of that size would typically only have about 4-5 deck crew to manage everything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, NZK said:

AFAIK none of the Wally's have a canting keel. Lifting keels are very common but that's a completely different concept. The only one I know of is the Mconaghy 80 Singularity but that thing has been plagued with issues so isn't a great billboard...

Adding an interior is not so complicated but the hull shape and canting keel of the 125 might make it unsuitable for regular cruising. You'd also have to massively depower the rig as a superyacht of that size would typically only have about 4-5 deck crew to manage everything.

the structure for the C foil also gets int he way of adding a cruising interior. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2021 at 7:21 AM, pulpit said:

Once you have the computer programming to run your CNC routers for this design  then you don't have to have moulds. 

Don’t think you understand how boats are built if that is what you think.

on the subject of it breaking records, it is limited to ones allowing stored power, and the latest “Flyingnikka” will probably sail circles around it, if it works.

as a superyacht, it is small, but the high freeboard doesn’t lend itself to installing a coachroof with nice windows to see the world from, and the hull doesn’t lend itself to having windows installed. So don’t see a workable retro fit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Skorpio is locked into being a racing boat for now just like Comanche. The most interesting retro fit was Mari Cha IV which was a Transatlantic record breaker. It ended up being a boat with a cruising interior even though many would have thought not possible or feasible. Reason being when you can buy a race boat so cheap you sometimes then have the budget to turn it into what you want? 

the-mari-cha-iv-breaks-record-G6GG30.jpg

Jeff_Brown-JCB14693_xgaplus.jpg

samurai-sailing-super-yacht-ex-mari-cha-iv-credit-jeff-brown-skylight.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Skorpio is locked into being a racing boat for now just like Comanche. The most interesting retro fit was Mari Cha IV which was a Transatlantic record breaker. It ended up being a boat with a cruising interior even though many would have thought not possible or feasible. Reason being when you can buy a race boat so cheap you sometimes then have the budget to turn it into what you want? 

the-mari-cha-iv-breaks-record-G6GG30.jpg

Jeff_Brown-JCB14693_xgaplus.jpg

samurai-sailing-super-yacht-ex-mari-cha-iv-credit-jeff-brown-skylight.jpg

To the best of my knowledge the cruising conversion fucked the stability, she's been labelled a death-trap (and not just due to the 2! off set companionways;) and has been on the hard since. A pretty good example of a conversion gone wrong. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

To the best of my knowledge the cruising conversion fucked the stability, she's been labelled a death-trap (and not just due to the 2! off set companionways;) and has been on the hard since. A pretty good example of a conversion gone wrong. 

few seasons back I had a deckhand aboard the yacht I was running that had crewed aboard samurai and that was basically his assessment of the boat as well. canting keel is gone, water ballast is gone, plus they added a lot of weight in places the boat was never designed to have it. he said the boat is very tender and handles weird.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

To the best of my knowledge the cruising conversion fucked the stability, she's been labelled a death-trap (and not just due to the 2! off set companionways;) and has been on the hard since. A pretty good example of a conversion gone wrong. 

 

17 minutes ago, frozenhawaiian said:

few seasons back I had a deckhand aboard the yacht I was running that had crewed aboard samurai and that was basically his assessment of the boat as well. canting keel is gone, water ballast is gone, plus they added a lot of weight in places the boat was never designed to have it. he said the boat is very tender and handles weird.

Wow that all makes sense. 140 foot on the hard is racking up some serious space. Are they trying to fix her? That's a big boat to get so wrong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

15kts upwind is great but pretty sure 10 years ago the Soto designed Wally 130 Angel’s Share went upwind at 16…

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JL92S said:

15kts upwind is great but pretty sure 10 years ago the Soto designed Wally 130 Angel’s Share went upwind at 16…

Obviously the $$$ question here is what was their VMG.? I can't see a cruising wally with fixed keel pointing as high as the Clubswan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, terrafirma said:

 

Wow that all makes sense. 140 foot on the hard is racking up some serious space. Are they trying to fix her? That's a big boat to get so wrong. 

no clue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2021 at 4:21 AM, terrafirma said:

 So this is a boat like Comanche but bigger by 25%. Interesting times when these 2 boats meet. 

Is Camanche still human powered, cause the Swan is all push buttons isn't it?

 

On 7/19/2021 at 8:02 PM, ALL@SEA said:

To the best of my knowledge the cruising conversion fucked the stability, she's been labelled a death-trap (and not just due to the 2! off set companionways;) and has been on the hard since. A pretty good example of a conversion gone wrong. 

Death trap?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, death trap. As in, if it gets knocked down it might not come back up. That happened on their transatlantic delivery to the Caribbean in 2016. It stayed down a long time. 
 

It was mothballed after that winter regatta season. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

Where’s the fun in that?

I agree that it looses a bit of the spirit of offshore sailing, but purely in a speed context (which is of course the goal) hydraulics lets you trim the main as aggressively as you want, with less people (no gorilla sized grinders, less weight), which makes a lot of difference...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fintho said:

I agree that it looses a bit of the spirit of offshore sailing, but purely in a speed context (which is of course the goal) hydraulics lets you trim the main as aggressively as you want, with less people (no gorilla sized grinders, less weight), which makes a lot of difference...

Comanche's hand was forced somewhat because she was racing in the Sydney to Hobart and competing against Wild Oats which was already hydraulic powered. If you wanting to beat the World's Best 100's you have to have hydraulics. These boats are optimised all the time with no thought to handicap just boat speed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Liquid said:

Will a new speed record category for powered boats be added or is there already one?

As far as I know most have added powered but not all.!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2021 at 12:55 AM, terrafirma said:

Obviously the $$$ question here is what was their VMG.? I can't see a cruising wally with fixed keel pointing as high as the Clubswan. 

Not sure on the VMG but a 6.2m draft fixed keel with trim tab and single rudder with water ballast and a flush deck sounds pointy to me. Canting keels don’t really ‘do’ pointing all that well due to the board/foil not having the same amount of lifting surface area as a large fin. Javier Soto Acebal put in an almost crippling amount of design work into that Wally. Both boats are awesome though 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2021 at 9:55 AM, JL92S said:

Not sure on the VMG but a 6.2m draft fixed keel with trim tab and single rudder with water ballast and a flush deck sounds pointy to me. Canting keels don’t really ‘do’ pointing all that well due to the board/foil not having the same amount of lifting surface area as a large fin. Javier Soto Acebal put in an almost crippling amount of design work into that Wally. Both boats are awesome though 

She's a racer cruiser and some 20 tonnes heavier with a full interior. She ain't going to wind like Skorpio.! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2021 at 7:21 AM, pulpit said:

chimp too,

You could call this a custom build, after all when building a new boat before you get tooling it is a custom build. 

 

The simple thing is they now have tooling to build more if they want too. Once you have the computer programming to run your CNC routers for this design  then you don't have to have moulds. 

 

And as far as having Killian Bushe to run the build ? When you are talking a big boat and big $$$$'s then you get the best people and experience you to can manage the build. 

 

Stop and think about this, Swan wouldn't of built this boat if they didn't think that they would have a few of their current owners in mind to upgrade to the 125. It's like buying cars for most people, you pick the brand that you like and don't buy any other brand. It's the same for most Swan owners, I buy  my first Swan  and I fall in love with them  and I only upgrade to  another Swan.

 

I'm shore that Swan have a few owners in mind for this model boat and give it 6 -12 months and I think that a few contracts could be closets signing for this model.

 

Pulpit

I think this was the original plan for Swan but after all the extra money and effort spent on the 125 project they moved the concept on clubswan 80 class (less complex and cheaper for owners).

Said that I agree that if tomorrow a new customer will request a second 125 they will build it… but now the marketing is on the 80 feet!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2021 at 1:34 PM, NZK said:

AFAIK none of the Wally's have a canting keel. Lifting keels are very common but that's a completely different concept. The only one I know of is the Mconaghy 80 Singularity but that thing has been plagued with issues so isn't a great billboard...

Adding an interior is not so complicated but the hull shape and canting keel of the 125 might make it unsuitable for regular cruising. You'd also have to massively depower the rig as a superyacht of that size would typically only have about 4-5 deck crew to manage everything.

The Wally Kauris 3, now Green Eyes and owned by Paolo Mirpuri has a swing keel, but she's a shitter, 2002 build with all the problems you'd imagine. Both Tiketitan and Tiketitoo were swing keelers too as far as I remember. 

Singularity, despite all the time on the hard seems to have nothing but issues as NZK says. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK the Skorpios rating for the Fastnet is in: 

Skorpios 2.149

Comanche 1.984

Rambler 1.893 

So that's about an 8% jump over Comanche and around a 14% jump on Rambler. Comanche isn't racing in the Fastnet but will face Skorpios in the Rolex Middle sea Race if all goes well.!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

OK the Skorpios rating for the Fastnet is in: 

Skorpios 2.149

Comanche 1.984

Rambler 1.893 

So that's about an 8% jump over Comanche and around a 14% jump on Rambler. Comanche isn't racing in the Fastnet but will face Skorpios in the Rolex Middle sea Race if all goes well.!

 

Ouch!  Heavy upwind conditions Skorpios might correct out in front, otherwise, no chance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Ouch!  Heavy upwind conditions Skorpios might correct out in front, otherwise, no chance.

Rating adjustments for foils are way too much of a penalty.

I have never seen a foil assisted boat sail even close to it's rating.

But the traditional maxi's can sail... close-ish to their ratings.

It probably is a 2.05 around a course.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love it that none of us has a clue about this boats performance potential, but are guessing what the rating should be without ever seeking the boat actually race!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Ouch!  Heavy upwind conditions Skorpios might correct out in front, otherwise, no chance.

 

3 hours ago, darth reapius said:

Rating adjustments for foils are way too much of a penalty.

I have never seen a foil assisted boat sail even close to it's rating.

But the traditional maxi's can sail... close-ish to their ratings.

It probably is a 2.05 around a course.

I can't believe you are all talking about Skorpios correcting out.! :D They have no farkin intention to correct out.! Their "ONLY" intention is to win line honors and break records. Correcting out is for smaller boats.! LOL :P

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

 

I can't believe you are all talking about Skorpios correcting out.! :D They have no farkin intention to correct out.! Their "ONLY" intention is to win line honors and break records. Correcting out is for smaller boats.! LOL :P

Honestly I am talking about all boats with foils, small or super sized.

A local boat was kitted out with foils, and despite only sailing in favourable wind conditions it could not sail to it's rating.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

Honestly I am talking about all boats with foils, small or super sized.

A local boat was kitted out with foils, and despite only sailing in favourable wind conditions it could not sail to it's rating.

It doesn't intend to sail to it's rating. 100 Feet and above is about being the fastest boat to finish. But yes smaller boats with foils pay a huge penalty. To be honest there are not many foil based boats with roils that race under a rating. Most of them are One Design and rating doesn't matter

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chimp too said:

I love it that none of us has a clue about this boats performance potential, but are guessing what the rating should be without ever seeking the boat actually race!

Pretty sure the catch phrase of this website is:

What's it rate?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

It doesn't intend to sail to it's rating. 100 Feet and above is about being the fastest monohull to finish. But yes smaller boats with foils pay a huge penalty. To be honest there are not many foil based boats with roils that race under a rating. Most of them are One Design and rating doesn't matter

Lets face it, first monohull to finish, the Ultimes and MOD70s should be first unless its an absolute boat breaker.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

It doesn't intend to sail to it's rating. 100 Feet and above is about being the fastest boat to finish. But yes smaller boats with foils pay a huge penalty. To be honest there are not many foil based boats with roils that race under a rating. Most of them are One Design and rating doesn't matter

 

30 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Lets face it, first monohull to finish, the Ultimes and MOD70s should be first unless its an absolute boat breaker.

I think slowing down the  Mod70's would be easier than slowing down a 125 footer in bad weather. 

 

Pulpit

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@terrafirma is correct , winning at this level means being on the plane to the next one before handicap places are known .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not like the olden days where you were on your 2nd or 3rd hangover before some little bugger beat you!

I have sat in 1st for over a day before ending up 3rd.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2021 at 2:47 PM, TANGO QUEBEC said:

Both Tiketitan and Tiketitoo were swing keelers too as far as I remember. 

GoogleFu says both were/are canters

Didn't know one had a little fire...

Fun translation ensues:

 “They reported us that during some maintenance works with inflammable products an explosion occurred and the boat had a fire for many hours. Nobody was injured.”

https://megayachtnews.com/2010/02/tiketitan-wally-fire/

 

If an explosion occurs with 'inflammable products' - what gets burned!?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, darth reapius said:

Pretty sure the catch phrase of this website is:

What's it rate?

Out of context though DR for obvious reasons. :o You need to let this go LOL..! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Out of context though DR for obvious reasons. :o You need to let this go LOL..! 

Mate, I've seen "but what's it rate?"

Commented beneath a picture of someone tits.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Liquid said:

If an explosion occurs with 'inflammable products' - what gets burned!?

Inflammable (in original flavour English, I'm unsure about Freedom English) means the opposite of what it sounds like, it actually means its very likely to get set on fire or explode, non-flammable means "not burnable".

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JL92S said:

Another boat to add to the list of “Cool shit that’s banned from the S2H”

The Hobart is one race managed by a Gentlemen's Club according to some interstate sailors.! That's all well and good but certainly not the Golden Child of World Sailing. Having said that it would have been great to see if JuanK could beat VPLP in the 100' class? Personally I think VPLP has the edge but Rambler is now as good as all the 100's but a lot to do with George David running a very good campaign IMO. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tikatitan was a nice boat, originally built around 1998 by a team headed by Chris Mellows. Some paint stored in the lazarette caught light when some electrical work being done ignited it. Boat was completely destroyed and nearly took others with it in Palma STP. Shame it wasn’t Tikatitoo that went up. That boat was an orange shitter with the appendages all in the wrong places due to interior requirements. 
just because you have lots of moveable appendages doesn’t mean you got it right and are fast!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2021 at 6:00 AM, JonRowe said:

Lets face it, first monohull to finish, the Ultimes and MOD70s should be first unless its an absolute boat breaker.

The ultimes will still finish first even in a boat breaker unless they pull out. Go check out the start of the Brest Atlantique. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TPG said:

The ultimes will still finish first even in a boat breaker unless they pull out. Go check out the start of the Brest Atlantique. 

The unless they pull out part was what I was referring to. The big tris are awesome, fantastic machines but they also have a high attrition rate due to UFOs :( 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2021 at 4:37 AM, terrafirma said:

It doesn't intend to sail to it's rating. 100 Feet and above is about being the fastest boat to finish. But yes smaller boats with foils pay a huge penalty. To be honest there are not many foil based boats with roils that race under a rating. Most of them are One Design and rating doesn't matter

this right here, boats like this are built to win line honors and set elapsed time records. corrected time means fuck all for boats like this. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2021 at 12:37 PM, The Weatherman said:

I think this was the original plan for Swan but after all the extra money and effort spent on the 125 project they moved the concept on clubswan 80 class (less complex and cheaper for owners).

Said that I agree that if tomorrow a new customer will request a second 125 they will build it… but now the marketing is on the 80 feet!

frankly I think they came to their senses. the pool of people who have the money to have a 125ft sailing yacht built is fairly small. the pool of people who have the money to have one built, and to effectively campaign it and also the inclination to do those things is very, very, very small. but shrink that down to 80ft and the pool of people who can afford the cost of entry grows considerably.

 

from a marketing standpoint talking a potential buyer into spending $35-40 million on a boat that is really only good for racing and will likely only ever collect some elapsed time line honors trophies is a hard sell. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eltelatron said:

Any amateur photographers on the south coast / IOW able to grab pics of the boat training yet? Even pics on the dock would be great to see!

I second this. I'd be curious to see some "out in the wild" photos of her, not PR photos. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As I mentioned on the Fastnet thread, I will be at Hurst Castle taking photos with my long lens camera. So guess you will have to wait until Sunday (and after I have edited them all). Skorpios is high on my priority list, though its a shame she is starting on last fleet and will be ploughing in to the rest of the fleet by the time she reaches hurst

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, eltelatron said:

Any amateur photographers on the south coast / IOW able to grab pics of the boat training yet? Even pics on the dock would be great to see!

Currently doing 24 knots around the back of the island coming from Portland. Assume they'll berth her somewhere in Portsmouth.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:6665254/zoom:10

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Snowden said:

Currently doing 24 knots around the back of the island coming from Portland. Assume they'll berth her somewhere in Portsmouth.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:6665254/zoom:10

Why a hell hole like Portsmouth? Rather Southampton/Hamble Point Marina, if that still exist, or on a mooring in Cowes, I thought.

I now see it's Cowes, near the Squadron where anyone with money is welcome these days.

That Russian oligarch may already have bought a complete appartment block there, with penthouse for himself and the rest for his minders and crew!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chimp too said:

Fiji,

better he spends his money in our industry than leave it in the bank

Absolutely Chimpy, and spending it on a sail/racing monster and not a Super stinkpot aka Cruise ship is admirable too.

Do we have any idea who the Skipper/Captain, Navigator is, and celebrity/pro's?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Why a hell hole like Portsmouth? Rather Southampton/Hamble Point Marina, if that still exist, or on a mooring in Cowes, I thought.

I now see it's Cowes, near the Squadron where anyone with money is welcome these days.

There aren't any 125 foot berths with enough depth in Hamble Point and the commercial dock in Southampton is not much better than Portsmouth. As you say, she's on one of the running moorings off the Green, lucky Cowes Week racing is blown off today otherwise they'd be worrying about their paint.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly looked like a beast on the rib trip past this morning (no pics because there was no way I was getting my phone out whilst getting soaked :lol::lol:)

Link to post
Share on other sites

a friend took this earlier today from her bedroom window ... 

May be an image of body of water

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

a friend took this earlier today from her bedroom window ... 

May be an image of body of water

Nice summer weather I see... :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vokstar said:

Haven't watched yet, but should be some interesting info in the vid

 

more  of a finished interior than I expected. one this is for damn sure, thats not a boat thats going to be quickly or easily converted for cruising. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, frozenhawaiian said:

more  of a finished interior than I expected. one this is for damn sure, thats not a boat thats going to be quickly or easily converted for cruising. 

Finished Interior...? I think you mean't bare bones racing interior.! There is no interior and less than what you would see in Black Jack and Oats etc. LOL. :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, vokstar said:

Haven't watched yet, but should be some interesting info in the vid

 

My take on the video is that they still have a lot of learning to do and bug sorting with systems etc. They seemed unsure or didn't want to give away true upwind speeds but still playing with their angles, they clocked 15-16 Knots upwind but not sure at what true wind angle. Once cracked it seems this thing will sit on very high sustained speeds and comfortable at that. Depending on the Fastnet conditions this thing could easily be a retirement at the moment until they get everything right but let's hope that's not the case. Has all the potential to be the beast they have already nicknamed accordingly. Can't wait to see it line up against Rambler as a reference as we know George's boat will be well sorted and fast albeit some 37 feet smaller........:rolleyes:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that video will help with my current insomnia!

I'm kinda meh now with Skorpios.... Maybe it's the super yacht proportions but it sure as fuck doesn't look faster than Comanche, Rambler, VO70s or whatever Speedboat is now called or "name your sled"...

The video makes the free board seem almost cartoonish to me now... and a 'small' pedestrian cockpit that seemed sterile.

At first I put it to a Swan owner not wanting to get too wet or a need for headroom down below (duel purpose and all) but then you see it's really a single use, stripped out carbon Swan.... with no 'Swan-ness' about it at all. WTF?

And with all that free board, why not more crew protection under a real coach roof? It's not like they don't have 10' of headroom down below!!! For fuck's sake, it's a record breaker with no crew protection...... at 125'? 

Will the owner be onboard?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Finished Interior...? I think you mean't bare bones racing interior.! There is no interior and less than what you would see in Black Jack and Oats etc. LOL. :D 

 

way more of a finished interior than comanche any of VO70's I've set foot on etc. well most of them don't even paint the interior. not a a shot against her, merely an observation is all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fucking awesome, is it practical, no...let the big bastard rip and she how it goes!

A lot of the same feelings from when we had the Speedboat brand new, lots of excitement and caution, systems issues and practices to be learned for targets/crossovers and handling of the gear. 

For me, it's a hell of a project and I'm looking forward to seeing what it is capable of.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

My take on the video is that they still have a lot of learning to do and bug sorting with systems etc. They seemed unsure or didn't want to give away true upwind speeds but still playing with their angles, they clocked 15-16 Knots upwind but not sure at what true wind angle. Once cracked it seems this thing will sit on very high sustained speeds and comfortable at that. Depending on the Fastnet conditions this thing could easily be a retirement at the moment until they get everything right but let's hope that's not the case. Has all the potential to be the beast they have already nicknamed accordingly. Can't wait to see it line up against Rambler as a reference as we know George's boat will be well sorted and fast albeit some 37 feet smaller........:rolleyes:

agreed all around. I gotta say I'm surprised they're entering her into the fastnet with her being so new.  I mean hell I've been on big boat programs, not even grand prix racers where we've spent a week with the riggers aboard getting the rig dialed in. I think this is going to be an epic boat once she fully sorted out and yeah it's going to be interesting to see her line up against rambler 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Liquid said:

I think that video will help with my current insomnia!

I'm kinda meh now with Skorpios.... Maybe it's the super yacht proportions but it sure as fuck doesn't look faster than Comanche, Rambler, VO70s or whatever Speedboat is now called or "name your sled"...

The video makes the free board seem almost cartoonish to me now... and a 'small' pedestrian cockpit that seemed sterile.

At first I put it to a Swan owner not wanting to get too wet or a need for headroom down below (duel purpose and all) but then you see it's really a single use, stripped out carbon Swan.... with no 'Swan-ness' about it at all. WTF?

And with all that free board, why not more crew protection under a real coach roof? It's not like they don't have 10' of headroom down below!!! For fuck's sake, it's a record breaker with no crew protection...... at 125'? 

Will the owner be onboard?

You need to read the earlier posts which discuss the freeboard. Not a matter of comfort but purely relative to the boats length. As a boat gets longer the freeboard must also increase it's all relative. You couldn't have a boat say Rambler's length with less or the same freeboard. I also think you've missed the plot this is a race boat not a Swan cruiser. So many people have miscalculated the freeboard not realising as a boat gets longer so does the freeboard proportionally increase. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mari Cha IV freeboard and interior 140 foot vs Skorpios 125 foot. As for the Cllubswan perhaps they hope a buyer will want a cruiser version of the same hull and hence they maximised freeboard for the given length? Anyway as you can see at 140 feet the freeboard increases proportionally.  

 

2003marichaiv1.jpg

Samurai-Huisfit-2.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who want to nerd out on the CS125 here were some photos taken of them training yesterday by @solentsailphotography as well Rambler and Hypr (ex warrior ex camper)BE32FDDC-6B49-4DF4-9B6A-ADABC1E5D0BE.thumb.jpeg.38abbee3dccae43895c664d309cc30fc.jpeg93F016FF-F90C-49D5-AF2E-127160A76133.thumb.jpeg.6fbec86ffe6ffb71e308a20bf5bc0ef8.jpegEC63DB0A-0B71-46E1-A724-F9EC402670C2.thumb.jpeg.5ac07eb719fafaf59d5e3d68458b04c8.jpeg200D8EA8-1BEE-4DD5-8A5D-C575AEFE4704.thumb.jpeg.8daf30495ff1ef9a0b6c62bf447a6fa0.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JL92S said:

For those who want to nerd out on the CS125 here were some photos taken of them training yesterday by @solentsailphotography as well Rambler and Hypr (ex warrior ex camper)BE32FDDC-6B49-4DF4-9B6A-ADABC1E5D0BE.thumb.jpeg.38abbee3dccae43895c664d309cc30fc.jpeg93F016FF-F90C-49D5-AF2E-127160A76133.thumb.jpeg.6fbec86ffe6ffb71e308a20bf5bc0ef8.jpegEC63DB0A-0B71-46E1-A724-F9EC402670C2.thumb.jpeg.5ac07eb719fafaf59d5e3d68458b04c8.jpeg200D8EA8-1BEE-4DD5-8A5D-C575AEFE4704.thumb.jpeg.8daf30495ff1ef9a0b6c62bf447a6fa0.jpeg

Great shots Cheers.! Skorpios double reef vs Rambler full main.? Was that what you saw most of the time.?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Mari Cha IV freeboard and interior 140 foot vs Skorpios 125 foot. As for the Cllubswan perhaps they hope a buyer will want a cruiser version of the same hull and hence they maximised freeboard for the given length? Anyway as you can see at 140 feet the freeboard increases proportionally.  

Terra,

I think you will find Skorpios is over 140 feet not 125.  The name is deceiving. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Terra,

I think you will find Skorpios is over 140 feet not 125.  The name is deceiving. 

No it's a 125 but longer if you count the bow spirit etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

Thanks JL

interesting to see the different sail configurations in these conditions.

Yeah Skorpios was double reefed and Rambler full main. The Volvo 70 one reef etc

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Terra,

I think you will find Skorpios is over 140 feet not 125.  The name is deceiving. 

Overall length 42.62m (139'10")
Length at waterline 36.61m (120'1")
Link to post
Share on other sites