Tohatsu 5hp No Spark

DaveK

Sailing yesterday on a really nice warm day here in Austin but wind totally died. Motored back and engine died in kinda a violent way with back firing. I had a spark plug socket and starter fuel...... But All I really know so far is that I have no spark for sure and would not even begin to start!! Obviously need to replace spark plug which I haven't yet but other than that, not sure where to go from there. I suppose the coil pack could be bad. But any other thoughts ans suggestions would be most welcome!!?? Thanks!!

Sounds like an intermittent spark (which caused backfiring), followed by no spark. I would start by looking at all the wires. Look for something visibly wrong. Nothing? Move onto checking for chafe and loosening and re-tightening the ground nuts. Nothing? Check the kill switch with an ohm-meter. Check the plug wire. Check the spark plug. I have had problems with the carb on my 6 HP Tohatsu (circa 2007), but never an electrical problem. My 6HP is sitting in my shop. If you need, I can measure something and get back with you today. PM me.

Snubs

37 minutes ago, TQA said:

Occam's razor ALWAYS check the kill switch first. 

I forgot to mention that this motor did die on me back in August and wouldn't start again either......  I kinda narrowed it to the kill switch but did not absolutely prove it out. But I replaced the kill switch and it has run fine since till yesterday.

Thanks Snubs..... I'm going out to the club later this afternoon to check things out!!! This motor is a 2006...

I just replaced the fuel lines on my 6 HP and noticed a few spots where the bundled wires were starting to chafe on the engine block or the wire-routing-thingys. I wrapped the wire bundles in tape and called it a day. But the possibility of grounding was evident. I have 279 hours on mine. 

Snubs

Ok guys, thanks for the help!!! I just had this vision of coils and magnetos problems which I just don't deal with ever. I replaced the plug and it started right up. Put the old plug back and it would back fire but never start. So it was just that. I just haven't had a spark plug fail in like 3 decades but I guess it was time..... By the way, what does that red light mean on the front when starting the motor?? What is it detecting?? All of my sailboats never had motors before and I fuking hate 'em

Confirmed. It's the low oil pressure indicator. On/glowing/red is bad. Off is good. Mine flickers a bit at startup, but quickly goes out. Glad that a new plug saved the day. I've never heard of that before. Good reason to carry a spare on the boat.

Snubs

7 hours ago, IStream said:

I had the same engine and the red light never fully turned off, it just got very dim. Operating in the dark, you could still see it.

After a while the sensor gets a bit clogged with oil residues and gets less "definitive".

Archived