2018 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: The Race Committee has lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI

30 minutes ago, Flatbag said:

In all of this it's interesting to note that the Oatley family's usual spokesperson / mouthpiece is notably silent on the matter. Mumbles has been doing the PR for WOXI and the earlier Oatley rides since day zero..

He will still be there, just not his head above the parapet. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In loving memory of Clark and Daw We welcome this evening Mr Richard the skipper of the winning power boat. Hello Brian. Mr Richard, may we call you Dick? Sure Brian, most

If Matt Allen as President of AS has any balls he should put Harburg/Bradford and Oatley/Richards in a room and read them the riot act. Harburg for not protesting but having a cry on national TV and O

Ok I am now caught up on this thread. Yes I went live - first actually - with the news direct from Shipwright Arms where WOXI were having lunch in one room, and BJ in the other. Was the best place to

Posted Images

17 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Well if you click on the first linky below, you will find that penultimate paragraph of Gladwell's article dated 31 Dec has now disappeared. Stolen by aliens maybe? Can't reverse engineer the "fried splitter" via microwave story, so hit delete and hope no one notices and it all goes away?

:wacko: That is unforgivable. You don't get to try to change history and remain with any credibility playing that game. 

Taken with his second posting's content he has pretty much ruined any semblance of balance he may have exhibited. And integrity. Which is a great shame.  It will be very hard to take anything he writes seriously now.

Removing the paragraph is really quite damning for MR. The only reason for it to go is that MR asked for it to be removed. And the only reason he would ask, is if he knew he could not make good on the promise. The only reasonable conclusion is that MR has discovered the truth - and that truth is not what he wanted. So Gladwell becomes complicit in the mess, and removes the promise.

It is always the case - the coverup is what matters, not the crime.  The stink isn't whether WOXI won or not. The stink is the bad behaviour of more than a few players since the race. We can now add Gladwell to the list, along with MR, BJ, and the RC/CYCA. Currently I score them as:

• MR : 3,
  • BJ : 1, 
  • RC/CYCA : 1
  • Gladwell : 2

Where the score is dick moves.

• Like 3

Yeah, he came to my club a while ago  to launch his latest tomb armed with a 6'x4' framed print of WOXI. When told all the large walls were taken he embarrassed the hosts into moving a similar sized original oil painting of Gretel II into the men's toilets to make room.

2 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Yeah, he came to my club a while ago  to launch his latest tomb armed with a 6'x4' framed print of WOXI. When told all the large walls were taken he embarrassed the hosts into moving a similar sized original oil painting of Gretel II into the men's toilets to make room.

I sincerely hope that the locations have since been reversed.

7 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

:wacko: That is unforgivable. You don't get to try to change history and remain with any credibility playing that game. 

Taken with his second posting's content he has pretty much ruined any semblance of balance he may have exhibited. And integrity. Which is a great shame.  It will be very hard to take anything he writes seriously now.

Removing the paragraph is really quite damning for MR. The only reason for it to go is that MR asked for it to be removed. And the only reason he would ask, is if he knew he could not make good on the promise. The only reasonable conclusion is that MR has discovered the truth - and that truth is not what he wanted. So Gladwell becomes complicit in the mess, and removes the promise.

It is always the case - the coverup is what matters, not the crime.  The stink isn't whether WOXI won or not. The stink is the bad behaviour of more than a few players since the race. We can now add Galdwell to the list, along with MR, BJ, and the RC/CYCA. Currently I score them as:

Christ Fran, expect sand incoming into your vagina in 10, 9, 8, 7............

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Good night, that's enough bitterness for one night. I'm off the have a J and relax.

Jerk, Jar, Jug or Joint Paps?

For anyone bothering to follow this miserable (for Richards and WOXI) saga, by now they might just begin to suspect that Gladwell's motives may have been the exact opposite of what, on the face of it, they seemed to be.

I know nothing of Gladwell other than what I read but seemingly he is clever enough to understand what he has written.

Whilst he poses as a loyal WOXI/MR supporter, given context and authority by his personal presence at the scene and his reporting first hand of what his offended friends in the WOXI camp actually said, the blatant contradictions of his first article by the second, for anyone who understands English and can follow logic, serve to discredit the WOXI/MR reputations more thoroughly than any enemy or "hater" (as LB chooses to term their critics) could possibly have managed.

Reading his articles and especially reading between the lines is actually very revealing.

Has Gladwell intentionally chosen to sacrifice his own journalistic reputation for the greater good of sailboat racing sportsmanship by so intensely focusing public opinion on the circumstances surrounding the taking of the line honours trophy in this race?

Lets face it, without the Gladwell articles this fascinating thread would have little substance.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, staysail said:

Lets face it, without the Gladwell articles this fascinating thread would have little substance.

Absolutely. Would have died three weeks ago. 

OTOH, first rule of conspiracies still applies. Never ascribe to conspiracy that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.  Gladwell would have to be playing a very long game, and doing so out of malice, rather than any higher motive, to be deliberately allowing his own name to be caught up in the fray. Still, this is all just light entertainment for most of us. I'm back to the day job, so just poke my head in in the evenings. It is insanely hot down here. 45 C forecast for tomorrow. You don't get much in the way of jollies in this weather, so I get them where I can.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Absolutely. Would have died three weeks ago. 

OTOH, first rule of conspiracies still applies. Never ascribe to conspiracy that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.  Gladwell would have to be playing a very long game, and doing so out of malice, rather than any higher motive, to be deliberately allowing his own name to be caught up in the fray. Still, this is all just light entertainment for most of us. I'm back to the day job, so just poke my head in in the evenings. It is insanely hot down here. 45 C forecast for tomorrow. You don't get much in the way of jollies in this weather, so get them where you can.

My post was a bit tongue in cheek, but looking back on it, intentionally or otherwise he sure hasn't done them any favours! Wonder if the thread will run til December?

1 minute ago, staysail said:

My post was a bit tongue in cheek, but looking back on it, intentionally or otherwise he sure hasn't done them any favours! Wonder if the thread will run til December?

No. I doubt it has. I think the British understated humour is getting a bit lost in the barrage here :) 

I'm sure there will be something else to whinge about soon. 

11 minutes ago, staysail said:

Exactly only thing that has given the entire subject oxygen.

Rule 101 of crisis management is turn off the fan and don't fuel the fire and if anything is said be transparent, accountable and be prepared for social media backlash. Instead abuse the social media audience and have a questionable answer with a call to action that is not followed through with.

It doesn't get any dumber or more arrogant.

24 minutes ago, staysail said:

My post was a bit tongue in cheek, but looking back on it, intentionally or otherwise he sure hasn't done them any favours! 

To be fair to him, while he might have simply regurgitated WOXI's PR spin without interogation, he did in latest article at least leave on the table and in his own words the unanswered question;

"As we write the matter is still unresolved. An explanation needs to be made as to how Wild Oats XI's AIS could have been affected/fried by microwave transmission equipment operated by the Channel 7 camera crew. Without that explanation who will have media people on board before the start of the 2019 edition of the annual offshore classic?"

47 minutes ago, Wess said:

Come on; keep it going

OK if you insist.

3 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Currently I score them as:

Francis that score is rediculous.

WOXI your top score but no evidence of any wrong doing and only crime is post IJ decision stupidity of going to print with a Hanzel & Gretal story and unseemly chest thumping instead of saying nothing.

RG. Apart from crappy journalism he was supposed to walk away from a WOXI exclusive?

BJ & RC. Equal lowest score yet each both held a RRS key they didn't use, where if they did, this whole sorry mess would never have occured.

I would suggest your "murder wall" is arse about face.

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I would suggest your score is arse about face.

If you want to score with a metric of how bad each thing was perhaps. I was counting individual actions. So BJ and RC did one dickish thing each. Counts as one each. RG did two - he removed the quote in the first article, and published the second drinking the WOXI Kool Aid.  MR did three dick moves - basically mouthing off when he should have known better. Each counts as one.

Now sure, if you want to create a score based on the relative level of malfeasance, I agree, my score doesn't do the situation justice. There is a likely a lot of hidden bad behaviour going on. I'll give some benefit of the doubt - incompetence over conspiracy - but that is more a reflection of how little I know of the people and the local culture involved. From where I sit halfway across the continent it is hard to tell whether it is smoke filled rooms and good-old-boys networks, or just a bunch of amateurs out of their depth. 

6 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

If you want to score with a metric of how bad each thing was perhaps. I was counting individual actions. So BJ and RC did one dickish thing each. Counts as one each. RG did two - he removed the quote in the first article, and published the second drinking the WOXI Kool Aid.  MR did three dick moves - basically mouthing off when he should have known better. Each counts as one.

Now sure, if you want to create a score based on the relative level of malfeasance, I agree, my score doesn't do the situation justice. There is a likely a lot of hidden bad behaviour going on. I'll give some benefit of the doubt - incompetence over conspiracy - but that is more a reflection of how little I know of the people and the local culture involved. From where I sit halfway across the continent it is hard to tell whether it is smoke filled rooms and good-old-boys networks, or just a bunch of amateurs out of their depth. 

The boat is back in the shed, the trophy is in the cabinet, MR is back at work, IM just won the Etchells Nationals and the Oatleys are back on their island and you clowns are arguing about the scoring criteria for your own little 'Dick move' list.

You can not make this shit up!

9 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

The boat is back in the shed, the trophy is in the cabinet, MR is back at work

Pah!  This hasn't been about WOXI's win for weeks. It is now about Gladwell and MR. If MR want's to go bleating to Sail Word, and they start drinking from his cup, well that makes for more plot in the little drama. What has become is a story of a depressing level of sycophantic behavior, and those that take advantage of it. Sadly this shit you don't need to make up. 

I need to get my arse into gear and go and do the day job. At least I can escape the day's punishing weather for a while.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Pah!  This hasn't been about WOXI's win for weeks. It is now about Gladwell and MR.

Only among the handful of people posting on this thread. The rest of the known universe, including the central players, MR and crew, BJ and crew, the CYCA, the IJs on the PC, the guy selling scollop pies at the harbour light and the head gardener on Hamilton island have all moved on with their lives.

These forums attract the oddest people. 

13 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

I need to get my arse into gear and go and do the day job. At least I can escape the day's punishing weather for a while.

Sadly I will be out in it today. 15 knot NE and not a cloud in the sky. Looking forward to anchoring for lunch and a swim. I need to get a real Job. 

And a big congratulations to Head of the Australia Olympic sailing team and New Australian Ettchells Champion Iain Murray. 

A fine summer of sailing for the Big fella, an after his line honours win in this years Hobart as tactician on the winner Wil Oats XI. Iain is an icon of our sport and deserves the respect he is held in by all. 

Some of you might bear that in mind...

B341CF20-0F3B-4207-BFE7-6FBD1F039399.jpeg

19 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Geeze Mad, really?

A made up news story about a man arrested for using a flame thrower to clear snow; is that it?

I saw Boothy there and it certainly entertained him, LB and some other kids.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6622591/Snowed-homeowner-uses-home-FLAMETHROWER-clear-driveway.html#v-6202522077461564229

Stuffed if I can figure out how to embed the video but this guy is crazy

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

....The rest of the known universe, including the central players, MR and crew, BJ and crew, the CYCA, the IJs on the PC, the guy selling scollop pies at the harbour light and the head gardener on Hamilton island have all moved on with their lives....

Reminds me of course; there are gentlemen, and then there are players!

image.jpeg.28992799b184c1f8eaa30413184566ab.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Pipe Dream said:

Yes he is if he existed. It has been found to be made up, fake news... an invention to get clicks.

LB loves it though

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Only among the handful of people posting on this thread. The rest of the known universe, including the central players, MR and crew, BJ and crew, the CYCA, the IJs on the PC, the guy selling scollop pies at the harbour light and the head gardener on Hamilton island have all moved on with their lives.

Sadly I will be out in it today. 15 knot NE and not a cloud in the sky. Looking forward to anchoring for lunch and a swim. I need to get a real Job. 

Classic LB

He says... "Handful of people" Read the views and post numbers. It indicates there's a hellavu lot of people coming to this thread to post and read. 

Jack Sparrow posts a very good piece and it shows why the thread still has legs and would have made front page and more if it hadn't mentioned Nazis, cockwarbling and cockwash. Maybe an edited version Jack? Yeah I know I know, you and LB don't give two fucks. It's all just parody and satire. You went to a lot of effort though.

As usual LB totally ignores Jack's post with not one salient comment on one of the best posts so far..

LBs trolling is repetitive now; he almost killed the thread but he can't. His basic tenant now is that participating in this thread is showing extreme disrespect to the WOXI crew.

For the record. WOXI and its crew is one of the best sailed offshore racing Maxis sailing ; if not the best. The crew is world class. I wish I could have achieved a 100th of any of these guy's career aboard WOXI.

The winning move they made at 0120- 1300 on BJ and Blackjack was made with the benefit of AIS as a tactical tool and their's wasn't on.

It doesn't reflect well on the RC, BJ or the press and I'm still interested in the outcomes, outside of the official result. If there are none it will happen again.

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

And a big congratulations to Head of the Australia Olympic sailing team and New Australian Ettchells Champion Iain Murray. 

A fine summer of sailing for the Big fella, an after his line honours win in this years Hobart as tactician on the winner Wil Oats XI. Iain is an icon of our sport and deserves the respect he is held in by all. 

B341CF20-0F3B-4207-BFE7-6FBD1F039399.jpeg

Yeah, he's a great guy and your point is?

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

That must be nice for you LB. For the non Aussies in here this is what the rest of us are dealing with today. Lets hope the casualties are as light as possible and god help us if there are any serious fires.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2019/jan/24/australia-extreme-heatwave-south-australia-45c-tasmania-bushfires-victoria-temperature-nsw-weather-forecast-live-news-updates?CMP=soc_567&fbclid=IwAR1oNdAf7Qywdq726J2vKgXO9_FEhN-tMNXaIYp_FELKlbGjvd-oPvwJLkY

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

LB unfortunately it only takes one clown, then many people think you have a circus.

It would help if the clown was to bear that in mind, then he might say they don't mind me making them look like monkeys two years in a row.

2 hours ago, paps49 said:

He is one of the people you are accusing of cheating cup cake. Or in your fantasy was Dr evil MR the only one that new? Just sayin' you need to think about who you are calling a cheat.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, paps49 said:

That must be nice for you LB. For the non Aussies in here this is what the rest of us are dealing with today. Lets hope the casualties are as light as possible and god help us if there are any serious fires.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2019/jan/24/australia-extreme-heatwave-south-australia-45c-tasmania-bushfires-victoria-temperature-nsw-weather-forecast-live-news-updates?CMP=soc_567&fbclid=IwAR1oNdAf7Qywdq726J2vKgXO9_FEhN-tMNXaIYp_FELKlbGjvd-oPvwJLkY

Yes the heat wave is my fault as well. Or is it the Oatley's? Hard to keep up with your hating.

3 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Classic LB

He says... "Handful of people" Read the views and post numbers. It indicates there's a hellavu lot of people coming to this thread to post and read. 

Jack Sparrow posts a very good piece and it shows why the thread still has legs and would have made front page and more if it hadn't mentioned Nazis, cockwarbling and cockwash. Maybe an edited version Jack? Yeah I know I know, you and LB don't give two fucks. It's all just parody and satire. You went to a lot of effort though.

As usual LB totally ignores Jack's post with not one salient comment on one of the best posts so far..

LBs trolling is repetitive now; he almost killed the thread but he can't. His basic tenant now is that participating in this thread is showing extreme disrespect to the WOXI crew.

For the record. WOXI and its crew is one of the best sailed offshore racing Maxis sailing ; if not the best. The crew is world class. I wish I could have achieved a 100th of any of these guy's career aboard WOXI.

The winning move they made at 0120- 1300 on BJ and Blackjack was made with the benefit of AIS as a tactical tool and their's wasn't on.

It doesn't reflect well on the RC, BJ or the press and I'm still interested in the outcomes, outside of the official result. If there are none it will happen again.

What is that high pitched whinny noise?

1 minute ago, Sidecar said:

Says the man with over 20,000 posts......

Even when I give you a slow one knee high on the on side you still can't get it over the fence.

On 1/22/2019 at 12:58 PM, paps49 said:

Oh and Mark Richards is a cheating scumbag. ; ), sue me.

I thought this should be saved for the Rule 69 application. And any other procedural matters that may arise in the future. We don't want evidence being lost after all.

Image result for mark richards sailor

11 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

You already made that joke. A bit like LBs repetitive schtick.

And there it is again. It sounds like a squeaky wheel that badly wants oiling or a baby crying.

4 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Classic LB

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

I come to this thread a lot, but just to see LB's shit stirring and hoping that the handful of moaners have given up and faced reality and joined Random in his dungeon   

RootT_And_The_New_Bondage_Chair_0818.jpg

Really Jalopy, you come here a lot...."but just to see" ??? Are you suffering some sort incurable neurological disease with an unpronounceable name? Just alone you have posted in less than 30 minutes that and these 4 posts?

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Not much of a celebration there

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

BTW how many pints for the one in red?

57 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Is this the sound?

50 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Same joke, different context.

If we removed all repetitive posts from this thread, we'd still be on page one.

Come on mate you come here having only your meme collection to contribute is because your next original sailing thought will be your first..that and to hump LB's leg of course.

32 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I thought this should be saved for the Rule 69 application. And any other procedural matters that may arise in the future. We don't want evidence being lost after all.

Image result for mark richards sailor

Fuck LB is someone saying WOXI did the race in a Grand Banks 100 and the RC didn't protest? This place is a gold mine of information.

Speaking of cup cakes and snow flakes... I came across this on the book... sad but true

It snowed last night ☃️

8:00 am: I made a snowman.
8:10 - A feminist passed by and asked me why I didn't make a snow woman.
8:15 - So, I made a snow woman.
8:17 - My feminist neighbor complained about the snow woman's voluptuous chest saying it objectified snow women everywhere.
8:20 - The gay couple living nearby threw a hissy fit and moaned it could have been two snow men instead.
8:22 - The transgender man..women...person asked why I didn't just make one snow person with detachable parts.
8:25 - The vegans at the end of the lane complained about the carrot nose, as veggies are food and not to decorate snow figures with.
8:28 - I was being called a racist because the snow couple is white.
8:31 - The middle eastern gent across the road demanded the snow woman be covered up .
8:40 - The Police arrived saying someone had been offended.
8:42 - The feminist neighbor complained again that the broomstick of the snow woman needed to be removed because it depicted women in a domestic role.
8:43 - The council equality officer arrived and threatened me with eviction.
8:45 - TV news crew from ABC showed up. I was asked if I know the difference between snowmen and snow-women? I replied "Snowballs" and am now called a sexist.
9:00 - I was on the News as a suspected terrorist, racist, homophobe sensibility offender, bent on stirring up trouble during difficult weather.
9:10 - I was asked if I have any accomplices. My children were taken by social services.
9:29 - Far left protesters offended by everything marched down the street demanding for me to be arrested.

Moral:
There is no moral to this story. It is what we have become, all because of snowflakes.

• Like 5

The format reminds of this one:

The Perfect Day For Her

8:15 Wake up to hugs and kisses 

8:30 Weigh-in 2kgs lighter than yesterday 

8:45 Breakfast in bed – freshly squeezed orange juice and croissants; open presents – expensive jewellery chosen by thoughtful partner 

9:15 Soothing hot bath with frangipani bath oil 

10:00 Light work-out at club with sexy, amusing personal trainer 

10:30 Facial, manicure, makeup application, shampoo, condition, blow wave 

12:00 Lunch with best friend at fashionable outdoor café 

12:45 Catch sight of partner’s ex and notice that she has gained 17kgs 

1:00 Shopping with friends: unlimited credit 

3:00 Nap 

4:15 Massage from strong but gentle hunk – says he rarely gets to work on such a perfect body 

5:30 Choose outfit from expensive designer wardrobe 

7:30 Candlelit dinner for two followed by dancing, with compliments received from other diners/dancers 

10:00 Hot shower – alone 

10:50 Carried to bed. Freshly ironed, crisp white linen 

11:00 Pillow talk, light touching and cuddling 

11:15 Fall asleep in his big, strong arms

The Perfect Day For Him

6:00 Alarm 

6:15 Blow job 

6:30 Massive, satisfying shit while reading the sports section 

7:00 Breakfast – steak and eggs, coffee and toast – all cooked by naked, buxom wench who bends over a lot showing her growler 

7:30 Limo arrives 

7:45 Several beers en route to the airport

9:15 Flight in personal Lear jet 

9:30 Limo to Mirage Resort Golf Club (blow job en-route) 

9:45 Play front nine (2 under par) 

11:45 Lunch-steak and lobster, three beers and bottle of Dom Perignon 

12:15 Blow job 

12:30 Play back nine (4 under) 

2:15 Limo back to airport (several bourbons) 

2:30 Fly to Bahamas 

3:30 Late afternoon fishing expedition with all-female crew, all nude who also bend over a lot showing their growlers 

4:30 Land world record Marlin (1234lbs) – on light tackle 

5:00 Fly home, massage and hand job by naked Elle MacPherson (bending over showing her growler, naturally) 

6:45 Shit, shower and shave 

7:00 Watch news – Michael Jackson assassinated 

7:30 Dinner – lobster appetisers, Dom Perignon (1953), big juicy fillet steak followed by ice cream served on a big pair of tits 

9:00 Napoleon Brandy and Habanos cigars in front of wall-sized TV as you watch football game 

9:30 Sex with three women, all with lesbian tendencies 

11:00 Massage and Jacuzzi with tasty pizza snacks and a cleansing beer 

11:30 Night-cap blow job 

11:45 In bed alone 

11:50 A 22-second fart which changes note four times and forces the dog to leave the room 

11:51 Laugh yourself to sleep

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Ok, I post shit. Gave up on contributing or at least taking it seriously  once the IJ decision was handed down and the SA witch hunt ramped up  

Ok so seriously Hoppy, what do you reckon the RC should do for next years race? LB reckons they should drop mandatory AIS transmission and I agree.

4 minutes ago, Trickypig said:

Ok so seriously Hoppy, what do you reckon the RC should do for next years race? LB reckons they should drop mandatory AIS transmission and I agree.

Can’t drop AIS -  personal beacons will be introduced hence mandatory 24/7 transmission. 

8 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

No the personal beacons will be either self activating or water activated. They won’t need to be on until you fall in. 

Ha ha ha. I meant the vessels AIS will need to be on 24/7

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Same joke, different context.

If we removed all repetitive posts from this thread, we'd still be on page one.

Yeah Hoppy but you can't use the same joke on the same guy 2 days in a row, lift your game mate. How is LB's leg going, you get his sock wet yet?

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

He is one of the people you are accusing of cheating cup cake. Or in your fantasy was Dr evil MR the only one that new? Just sayin' you need to think about who you are calling a cheat.

Au contraire little boy. Lard didn't sign the declaration or bleat to Gladwell although as I have previously suggested he may have unplugged the AIS to microwave his pre start brunch shortly after the Ch7 chopper dropped it off. An innocent enough mistake but cheating? Non.

2 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Au contraire little boy. Lard didn't sign the declaration or bleat to Gladwell although as I have previously suggested he may have unplugged the AIS to microwave his pre start brunch shortly after the Ch7 chopper dropped it off. An innocent enough mistake but cheating? Non.

So in your facts found, MR secretly stole below when no one was watching, turned of the transmitter and slipped back on deck unnoticed. No one else knew about it but must have been amazed when, according to your associate, Clever piggy, WOXI slipped away with the winning move and no one followed. The plot thickens...

22 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

WOXI slipped away with the winning move and no one followed. The plot thickens...

Brad Butterworth said they didn't know where WOXI was in an interview.

Who would you cover in a race turning light where your other two competitors where on your line or inshore and you had the fastest light air boat?

I would cover the next fastest light air boat. but I ain't Brad Butterworth's shoelace.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, LB 15 said:

6 hours ago, paps49 said:

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

As I said unfortunately it only takes one clown, then many people think you have a circus.

It is an automatic association of this common adage; "You are the company you keep". This and similar are actually short and weakened versions of one of King Solomon of Israels' most valuable proverbs;

"He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed".

In long hand modern English he is saying; "Though you may be wise, foolish friends will eventually destroy you. Though you may be foolish, wise friends will show and teach you success. This is an easy way to prosper."

To the thrust of LB's post being the need to be respectful of those all in the WOXI canoe, I have to say posters to this thread have from page 1 being very mindful of that. I for one pointed that out referencing Vila (WOXI's Navigator) in the context of Richard's saying to Channel 2 on the dock Friday morning that AIS activation wasn't mandatory and someone posting here saying that must make Vila complicit in ignorance of the SI's.

I countered by saying I believed nothing of the sort and for a guy ranked arguably #1 in the world in his craft, a more self effacing person you wouldn't find. I did add that the only explanation might be that he flew in late missing the RC's briefing that highlighted this year's change to AIS and wasn't told by Richards? That said it would mean he didn't review the SI's which in my mind has a probability of zero for having occured.

This concept borrowed from King Solomon that "association" is "an easy way to prosper" is seen every day life. 

For instance on the positive side diciplined sailors use superior competition to bring out their best, even if it means frequent losses leading to success.

However an example on the lazy side is politicians who don't present the public with a substantive argument on say the merits of private enterprise investment and employment, they will instead get a quick picture arm in arm with some factory workers accompanied by a 10 second sound bite.

We have seen the lazy association occur in a published piece on this race. Richard Gladwell on WOXI/Richards damage control included Gladwell's words; " More than 24 hours after the protest was dismissed Richards is still very upset that the integrity of the Wild Oats XI crew is being questioned. They include some of the top sailors in the world from America's Cup, Volvo Ocean Race and other topline events."

Taking a leaf from the above political handbook, imagine how much more powerfull that one paragraph of Gladwell's would be if accompanying it was a photo of say Richard's, Murray and Vila arm in arm like the Three Musketeers post race. Not just Richo pulling sand and stories about death rays out of his vagina. Actually I don't even recall one pic with Murray from 2017 come to think of that?

Maybe that is a search for anyone seeking to reinforce good old King Solomon's proverb about "association".

images (20).jpeg

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Aus special reg 4.09 mandates an AIS transponder for all cat 1 boats and is recommended for cat 2. This is sensible enough and personally I would have one for cat 3 or any coastal cruising.

This is how far the regulations should go. If you have AIS MOB for your crew, then you logically will have the AIS on for receive and I see no downside to having the AIS on, unless you are having electrical problems.

AIS transmit should solely at the discretion of the skipper. 

Ais is pointless if nobody is transmitting. ........

Though your enthusiasm for receiving in noted.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

As I said unfortunately it only takes one clown, then many people think you have a circus.

It is an automatic association of this common adage; "You are the company you keep". This and similar are actually short and weakened versions of one of King Solomon of Israels' most valuable proverbs;

"He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed".

In long hand modern English he is saying; "Though you may be wise, foolish friends will eventually destroy you. Though you may be foolish, wise friends will show and teach you success. This is an easy way to prosper."

To the thrust of LB's post being the need to be respectful of those all in the WOXI canoe, I have to say posters to this thread have from page 1 being very mindful of that. I for one pointed that out referencing Vila (WOXI's Navigator) in the context of Richard's saying to Channel 2 on the dock Friday morning that AIS activation wasn't mandatory and someone posting here saying that must make Vila complicit in ignorance of the SI's.

I countered by saying I believed nothing of the sort and for a guy ranked arguably #1 in the world in his craft, a more self effacing person you wouldn't find. I did add that the only explanation might be that he flew in late missing the RC's briefing that highlighted this year's change to AIS and wasn't told by Richards? That said it would mean he didn't review the SI's which in my mind has a probability of zero for having occured.

This concept borrowed from King Solomon that "association" is "an easy way to prosper" is seen every day life. 

For instance on the positive side diciplined sailors use superior competition to bring out their best, even if it means frequent losses leading to success.

However an example on the lazy side is politicians who don't present the public with a substantive argument on say the merits of private enterprise investment and employment, they will instead get a quick picture arm in arm with some factory workers accompanied by a 10 second sound bite.

We have seen the lazy association occur in a published piece on this race. Richard Gladwell on WOXI/Richards damage control included Gladwell's words; " More than 24 hours after the protest was dismissed Richards is still very upset that the integrity of the Wild Oats XI crew is being questioned. They include some of the top sailors in the world from America's Cup, Volvo Ocean Race and other topline events."

Taking a leaf from the above political handbook, imagine how much more powerfull that one paragraph of Gladwell's would be if accompanying it was a photo of say Richard's, Murray and Vila arm in arm like the Three Musketeers post race. Not just Richo pulling sand and stories about death rays out of his vagina. Actually I don't even recall one pic with Murray from 2017 come to think of that?

Maybe that is a search for anyone seeking to reinforce good old King Solomon's proverb about "association".

images (20).jpeg

Another nice piece.

I have reference some onboard but only in parody, guilt by association though must irk them and rightly so.

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

So in your facts found, MR secretly stole below when no one was watching, turned of the transmitter and slipped back on deck unnoticed. No one else knew about it but must have been amazed when, according to your associate, Clever piggy, WOXI slipped away with the winning move and no one followed. The plot thickens...

You have got me there, I'll admit it. I have no idea how that scenario could have come to pass.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I know its a long thread but I haven't noticed anyone posting here seriously accusing any WOXI crew members of cheating.

The buck stops with only one person on a boat, the skipper. If the boat doesn't abide by rules that person, and not the crewmembers, is responsible, so why would anyone even suggest a crew member cheated?

I Would have though a sailing instructor would have known about that!

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, staysail said:

I know its a long thread but I haven't noticed anyone posting here seriously accusing any WOXI crew members of cheating.

The buck stops with only one person on a boat, the skipper. If the boat doesn't abide by rules that person, and not the crewmembers, is responsible, so why would anyone even suggest a crew member cheated?

I Would have though a sailing instructor would have known about that!

You have noticed his lack of logic.

That's the thing LB, you seem to have either accidentally or otherwise completely missed the point.

If Woxi's AIS was not transmitting through no fault of their own, even though it put them in breach, there is no claim of cheating suggested here.

The cheating occurred post race and has continued at pace ever since. Now Gladwell has hitched his wagon to the circus.

Your golden boy Mark could stop all this right now. Take the pressure of all the heroes under his cloud and just Mea Culpa. Our AIS wasn't working, don't know why but it just wasn't.

Forget the fairy bread and the beam of death, don't even discuss fried food of any kind. Just come out from under his foreskin and say sorry it wasn't working.

End of story, end of thread. Every one thinks yay what a stand up guy.

Sadly I don't like the chances of that happening.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Classic LB

On 1/23/2019 at 5:05 AM, LB 15 said:

Jesus Jack I have read shorter novels than that. 

On 1/23/2019 at 5:47 AM, Trickypig said:

Thanks Jack.

On 1/23/2019 at 3:47 PM, paps49 said:

Nice piece of investigative journalism Jack.

On 1/23/2019 at 4:02 PM, LB 15 said:

You can call Jack as a witness at the forthcoming R69 hearing you are bringing on.

Oh these are troubled times we live in.

On 1/23/2019 at 7:55 AM, PIL66 said:

Thanks for the read Jack.... anyone coming in here late can just read post # 2797

I'm in two minds about the whole thing..... but the evidence on the splitter sure would be nice....

On 1/23/2019 at 1:38 PM, LB 15 said:

BC003240-4E6B-402A-9320-595213E753EF.gif

On 1/23/2019 at 3:01 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Someone should tell those chickens they will have their heads lopped, be plucked, have a hose ladden with acidified sodiumchlorite shoved up their arse and then slowly roasted. The same message should also be conveyed to the RC.

7 hours ago, hoppy said:

I come to this thread a lot, but just to see LB's shit stirring and hoping that the handful of moaners have given up and faced reality and joined Random in his dungeon   

RootT_And_The_New_Bondage_Chair_0818.jpg

Tricky my apologies for the late reply and my extensive fan club noted above. I'm busy at moment guys currently crafting a SA thread on how the S2H corrected race times are actually in decline due to global warming and 9/11 using imperial analysis of race boat rating data and the price of epoxy resin since the mid 70's oil catastrofuck.

It will be a cracker and make this thread look like a fucking storm in a teacup. Frer's, Farr and RP etc are quaking in their Durberrys pending it going to air I'm told.

Anyway Tricky to bring you up to speed. I did consult with Scooter/ @Editor about putting that piece above on the FP. Scooter said no problem with the language but two small problems. One both @LB 15 and I have already got a FP billing on this S2H catastrofuck and second our respective lawyers couldn't agree, particularly over one hook.

Scooter said he was worried about a legal deformed suitcase thing happening. My legal guys saw no problem if we simply took out the spare AIS and AIS splitter and wet weather gear and the suitcase will close as engineered and built according to RRS fucking rules. Scooters legal eagles didn't agree, so I hope that answers your concerns about it not getting a FP launch?

tenor.gif.5f505f666efd79c1a9a0329aed6e24a8.gif

Anyway probably time I owned up to something that @LB 15 and @hoppy are afraid to mention. As a paid up member of World Sailing I actually lodged with Australian Sailing a protest under Rule 69 against these two fucking weasels for bringing this SA thread and sailing world wide into disrepute.

Firstly LB for still sucking on the WOXI PR teat until it runs out of milk and suggesting I'm a fucking chicken and Hoppy on both counts plus I'm Randumb's sock. The latter cut to the quick. Unfortunately both of their respective lawyers fired back quick as a fuckin flash quickly followed by Australian Sailing on World Sailing's behalf along the same lines as LB's lawyered up response.

In a nutshell while @LB 15 admits reading that long piece of mine as evidenced by his reply above, his lawyers say he needs until the Rushcutters Bay IGA/Mini Mart advertisements appear on the Channel 7 coverage of the next and 75th edition at the end of the year to comprehend it all in addition to this thread. They said he may even change his mind, like after the finish and like WOXI did belatedly so this last edition talking about 2017. Australian Sailing's response was similarly worded.

Fucking lawyers for @hoppy said their client had no interaction in this thread, he can't read and comprehend at the same time other than just  @LB 15  posts and he only posts video memes of squealing pig sounds and tits in reply and so clearly had nothing else to offer to impune my reputation.

So Tricky I'm fucked. I'm now unfortunately  open to WOXI's people's overtues to my people. Me probably letting it slip I have core samples of BJ's keel containing traces of Uranium may have preempted that? I don't know.

Anyway they have said Mumbles is being put out to pasture over this WOXI PR catastrofuck and I get given title to a 2 bed Villa on Hamo plus a 45' pontoon to take over their PR. My response to date is 3 bed, a 60 footer berth plus unlimited T-shirts and Elle MacPherson and her sister for one night for the next 5 editions of Hammo Race Week including me doing Bow on WOXI there and long way away from Richo.  

Mate pending that negotiation impasse going somewhere please be assured I will be here on this thread impartial as always.

Thanks again for the kind words.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Tricky my apologies for the late reply and my extensive fan club noted above. I'm busy at moment guys currently crafting a SA thread on how the S2H corrected race times are actually in decline due to global warming and 9/11 using imperial analysis of race boat rating data and the price of epoxy resin since the mid 70's oil catastrofuck.

It will be a cracker and make this thread look like a fucking storm in a teacup. Frer's, Farr and RP etc are quaking in their Durberrys pending it going to air I'm told.

Anyway Tricky to bring you up to speed. I did consult with Scooter/ @Editor about putting that piece above on the FP. Scooter said no problem with the language but two small problems. One both @LB 15 and I have already got a FP billing on this S2H catastrofuck and second our respective lawyers couldn't agree, particularly over one hook.

Scooter said he was worried about a legal deformed suitcase thing happening. My legal guys saw no problem if we simply took out the spare AIS and AIS splitter and wet weather gear and the suitcase will close as engineered and built according to RRS fucking rules. Scooters legal eagles didn't agree, so I hope that answers your concerns about it not getting a FP launch?

tenor.gif.5f505f666efd79c1a9a0329aed6e24a8.gif

Anyway probably time I owned up to something that @LB 15 and @hoppy are afraid to mention. As a paid up member of World Sailing I actually lodged with Australian Sailing a protest under Rule 69 against these two fucking weasels for bringing this SA thread and sailing world wide into disrepute.

Firstly LB for still sucking on the WOXI PR teat until it runs out of milk and suggesting I'm a fucking chicken and Hoppy on both counts plus I'm Randumb's sock. The latter cut to the quick. Unfortunately both of their respective lawyers fired back quick as a fuckin flash quickly followed by Australian Sailing on World Sailing's behalf along the same lines as LB's lawyered up response.

In a nutshell while @LB 15 admits reading that long piece of mine as evidenced by his reply above, his lawyers say he needs until the Rushcutters Bay IGA/Mini Mart advertisements appear on the Channel 7 coverage of the next and 75th edition at the end of the year to comprehend it all in addition to this thread. They said he may even change his mind, like after the finish and like WOXI did belatedly so this last edition talking about 2017. Australian Sailing's response was similarly worded.

Fucking lawyers for @hoppy said their client had no interaction in this thread, he can't read and comprehend at the same time other than just  @LB 15  posts and he only posts video memes of squealing pig sounds and tits in reply and so clearly had nothing else to offer to impune my reputation.

So Tricky I'm fucked. I'm now unfortunately  open to WOXI's people's overtues to my people. Me probably letting it slip I have core samples of BJ's keel containing traces of Uranium may have preempted that? I don't know.

Anyway they have said Mumbles is being put out to pasture over this WOXI PR catastrofuck and I get given title to a 2 bed Villa on Hamo plus a 45' pontoon to take over their PR. My response to date is 3 bed, a 60 footer berth plus unlimited T-shirts and Elle MacPherson and her sister for one night for the next 5 editions of Hammo Race Week including me doing Bow on WOXI there and long way away from Richo.  

Mate pending that negotiation impasse going somewhere please be assured I will be here on this thread impartial as always.

Don't let your negotiations get held up by mimi. In the video I saw she wasn't impressive enough to pass up 60ft berth.

13 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Don't let your negotiations get held up by mimi. In the video I saw she wasn't impressive enough to pass up 60ft berth.

Thanks for the tip but they are both my drop card for negotiating with old fellas who know no better to get a 80' berth, that pair are not exactly spring chickens now, let alone in 5 years. 

8 hours ago, hoppy said:

Ok, I post shit. Gave up on contributing or at least taking it seriously  once the IJ decision was handed down and the SA witch hunt ramped up  

Gave you a likey Hoppy despite the witch-hunt shit.

The world would be a pretty boring place, sitting on the rail together for a few days or longer worse, if we humans were all the same. Either indifference or being the opposite and enquiring is not a hanging offence. It's called diversity of opinion and arguing your viewpoint either way should be celebrated not derided say it being a witch-hunt or witch-ignore.

This is not an opinion piece. I have simply taken off this page a handfull of views about mandatory AIS activation by the S2H RC this year that has got WOXI in the shit and then noted down some observations to assist discussion.

11 hours ago, Trickypig said:

11 hours ago, hoppy said:

the same

I don't see why BJ comes out bad from this. They did not want to win on a technicality, especially by protesting using a rule that they perhaps do not believe in themselves. I wonder how many of the top race teams complained to the CYCA about this new rule on the basis that it does not add any tangible safety benefit whilst preventing them from getting an advantage from making a good tactical decision.

BJ got the rule being discussed, the CYCA protest and IJ dismissal was going through the process.

Expect the CYCA to either drop the rule or add clauses about it's use to allow it to be off at the skippers discretion except in certain circumstances...

11 hours ago, Trickypig said:

Fair enough... missed that 

11 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Can’t drop AIS -  personal beacons will be introduced hence mandatory 24/7 transmission. 

11 hours ago, LB 15 said:

No the personal beacons will be either self activating or water activated. They won’t need to be on until you fall in

11 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Ha ha ha. I meant the vessels AIS will need to be on 24/7

Aus special reg 4.09 mandates an AIS transponder for all cat 1 boats and is recommended for cat 2. This is sensible enough and personally I would have one for cat 3 or any coastal cruising.

This is how far the regulations should go. If you have AIS MOB for your crew, then you logically will have the AIS on for receive and I see no downside to having the AIS on, unless you are having electrical problems.

AIS transmit should solely at the discretion of the skipper.

9 hours ago, hoppy said:

I’m quite happy for commercial shipping to do the transmitting if I’m on a fully crewed racer. 

If the weather has gone to shit and we are in survival rather than race mode, then I’d turn the AIS transponder on.

of course this attitude of mine only applies if I miraculously acquire sailing talent. 

In reality, when I eventually get a racer and leave the bay, no one will care how we are performing at the back of the fleet, so I’ll leave the AIS on

10 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Ais is pointless if nobody is transmitting. ........

Though your enthusiasm for receiving in noted.

So some observations, not my opinion.

1. Modern electronic navigational aids have arguably put people offshore either well before they are properly equipped to do so or in some cases simply shouldn't be ever there. This should not be construed as it being preferable this race is conducted using Sextants, Trailing Logs and Radio Direction Finders. Simply capability can vary crew to crew and vessel to vessel around things like navigation and collision avoidance etc.

2. This race has the ignominious history of killing 6 participants in 1968. While 20 years ago still raw in the minds of many still racing today or associated with the race in some form, if not losing a friend of family member may still rate it as one of lifes worst experiences. It is therefore quite understandable safety ranks highly in the minds of many.

3. The RC was not spared by the NSW coronial enquiry in to the 1998 race and this is not forgotten and still today guides their decision making on any safety related matters attached to the race.

4. The S2H race course in comparative terms to say those in the USA and Europe is not as well resourced in terms of SAR capability and communications. A greater reliance between competitors for responding to incidents may arguably exist.

5. While some comparative race courses overseas classified Cat 2 under Offshore Regs the RC classes the S2H a Cat 1 Race. The difference is principally communications and self sufficiency in terms of onboard medical capability. The SI's also deal with race prerequisites for compliance including that for crew experience etc.

6. The race attracts both national and international boats and competitors.

7. Australia does not have a national recreational and small commercial vessel registration arrangement, though national standards do apply. This is the responsibility of States. A national registration arrangement administered by the Australian Safety Authority (AMSA) does apply for any vessel an Australian Registered Ship. This is mandatory for recreational vessels travelling outside Australian waters. Companion arrangements exist in other countries.

8. For SOLAS vessels over 300 tonne AIS activation via Class A Trancievers is mandatory. For non SOLAS commercial Australian Registered Vessels less than 300 tonnes now regarded as 'regulated vesels' AIS activation has also been made recently mandatory. There is an argument that a professionaly crewed recreational vessel such as a race boat may be caught by this classification even in a recreational event.

9. The RC consults with AMSA in the process of formulating safety and communications standards for the race.

10. The RC has articulated concern in recent times about fishing vessels both commercial and private on the south NSW coast when the race fleet is traversing that section of the coast at night. This includes fishing devices marked by AIS transponders. Larger vessels in the fleet can be travelling in excess of 20kts or 10 metres per second.

11. While not mandatory many individual crew members are equipped with AIS enabled PLB's in addition to mandatory 406 EPIRB PLB's.

12. The AIS capability on each vessel varies both in terms of installation integrity (a fact of life in any marine electronics installation) and equipment choice in terms of AIS efficiency. While all vessels have Class B AIS Trancievers some may have either lower powered 2w CSTDMA Tranvievers or higher powered and more capable SOTDMA Trancievers. The latter are more likely on larger race boats and or those with greater race operating budgets. The latter are more likely to be picked up by AIS sattelite recievers when vessels are outside terrestrial AIS recievers for retransmission via the Internet.

13. The S2H Tracker currently operates on a 10 minute update interval and all competitors have access to this depending on their Internet access capability.

14. The Tracker and AIS (via the Internet when outside vessel to vessel range) capability varies subject to Internet capability being via 3G/4G terrestrial towers or if out of range, onboard sateliite communication capability.

15. Whilst a safety and collision avoidance tool AIS can be used as a race tactic tool.

It is assumed the RC when making AIS activation compulsory in 2018 took all or some of the above points into account. 

Note: I simply jotted the above down to aid discussion. There may well be other pertinent points I have missed.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

It is assumed the RC when making AIS activation compulsory in 2018 took all or some of the above points into account, and also policing/checking for compliance and penalties for non compliance.

FIFY......

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

FIFY......

Having AIS transmitting as mandatory changes the tactics of ocean racing completely.

If we are to have it as mandatory then they may as well make the tracker real time as a backup to any AIS splitter getting fried by a TV upload link.

The yellow brick site says 30 mins to several hours but SH was every 10 mins so Is having a real time tracker technically possible?... anyone?

BTW great posts again Jack, though it goes against the SA code of one liners.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Jack, please don't sell your soul.

The millions spent on Maxi racing in the noble pursuit of honourable competition will be all for nought if the playing field isn't kept level.

• Like 1