2018 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: The Race Committee has lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In loving memory of Clark and Daw We welcome this evening Mr Richard the skipper of the winning power boat. Hello Brian. Mr Richard, may we call you Dick? Sure Brian, most

If Matt Allen as President of AS has any balls he should put Harburg/Bradford and Oatley/Richards in a room and read them the riot act. Harburg for not protesting but having a cry on national TV and O

Ok I am now caught up on this thread. Yes I went live - first actually - with the news direct from Shipwright Arms where WOXI were having lunch in one room, and BJ in the other. Was the best place to

Posted Images

This might work.

Wild Oats by their own admission were not in compliance with the SI's governing the race.

They accepted the spoils and slammed the boat in it's private shed in a Historic Sydney Harbour location that many people say they should never have been allowed to own in the first place.

But no one, not them or the CYC have anything to say about it.

Give me a brake, another roll over?

If they want to give the Trophy to WO, fine. Tell us why?

There are any number of answers to that question and many have been shared here.

Or just.  

"under the circumstances we have decided the change was perhaps not properly understood and will be made clearer for the next race"
Not rocket science.

1 hour ago, paps49 said:

Mark went on National television and said "it wasn't working". How much investigating is there for an RC to do?

32. INSPECTION AND INFORMATION
32.1 Boats shall be made available for spot inspections by the Race Committee or its nominee at
any time up until 12 hours after the boats finish time.

Plenty of time, and RC could have nominated a fried splitter expert.......

Maybe the splitter wasn’t fried but jiggered?

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Sidecar said:

Mate the word "Jiggered" is an old Victorian (as in England not Melbourne) term for sticking charcoal up your arse to alleviate hemorrhoid discomfort.

Are you now saying Richo stuck the AIS Splitter up his clacker?

6 hours ago, Sidecar said:

32.1 Boats shall be made available for spot inspections by the Race Committee or its nominee at

What a coincidence, 12 hours nearly to the minute that it took for the RC to lodge their Clayton's Protest after having no contact with WOXI.

"It wasn't until 12 hours after the finish that the Race Committee notified myself, that they were protesting."

"David Jordan [PRO] rang me at 8.00pm that night to notify me that the Race Committee were going to go ahead with the protest."

I recall WOXI had packed up and gone home (with its now suddenly resurected Splitter) before the IJ hearing the next day?

Keep it going Jack.  You can get this done.  I am sure Gramps will be back to defend his hero.  He is temporarily tied up crying and embarrassing himself while whining about some important monohull people from his club who got their boat hit by some crazies in a catamaran.  Surprisingly he is out shrilling for the catamaran crazies who got tossed from the race and whining about the important people in the monohull who tried like hell to get out of the way.  I'm not sure yet if this means Gramps thinks everyone should be allowed to cheat and ignore the rules like WOXI or if he feels multihulls should be allowed to enter the S2H.

44 minutes ago, Wess said:

I'm not sure yet if this means Gramps thinks everyone should be allowed to cheat and ignore the rules like WOXI or if he feels multihulls should be allowed to enter the S2H.

I would rethink that thought as that isn't who he is.

As for this catastrofuck of appalling management and spin by numerous parties. Apart from it stinking like a outdoor dunny in summer, there is no evidence to support the cheat word being used. 

• Like 1

You troll for fish your way and I'll troll for fish my way.  We have 50 plus posts to go and nobody seems to care.  Don't know who he is just know he did a heck of a Job riling up the natives on the S hunting P mess.

#bestboatworstskipper  #untiltheyletmultisin 

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

After 37 pages we finally turn up a plausible scenario.

Well done Mr Sidecar. 

I am not sure he did this unassisted though.

Now who was (were) the other party (s) involved.

Darren Weir just got banned for 4 years for having 3 jiggers.

Mate the word "Jiggered" is an old Victorian (as in England not Melbourne) term for sticking charcoal up your arse to alleviate hemorrhoid discomfort.

What a coincidence, 12 hours nearly to the minute that it took for the RC to lodge their Clayton's Protest after having no contact with WOXI.

"It wasn't until 12 hours after the finish that the Race Committee notified myself, that they were protesting."

"David Jordan [PRO] rang me at 8.00pm that night to notify me that the Race Committee were going to go ahead with the protest."

I recall WOXI had packed up and gone home (with its now suddenly resurected Splitter) before the IJ hearing the next day?

And it is public knowledge that the splitter and AIS were working perfectly 3 hours after the race?

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Maybe wheezy could try this to get some relief. I hope he does the poor little petal - must be awful to live with such irritation. 

1 hour ago, Sidecar said:

And it is public knowledge that the splitter and AIS were working perfectly 3 hours after the race?

Yes. 

The exact time and place where it last transmitted, and magically resurrected itself are available publicly. See the overland path map that has been posted more than once here.

It isn't so much the failure as its resurrection that is the subject of question.

50 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Yes. 

The exact time and place where it last transmitted, and magically resurrected itself are available publicly. See the overland path map that has been posted more than once here.

It isn't so much the failure as its resurrection that is the subject of question.

So the RC still had around 9 hours to inspect afterwards and check for evidence of “repairs”?

And then there is this:

26. DECLARATIONS (Amends RRS 63.1)

26.1 All competitors shall lodge a declaration online through the race website ....... within six hours of their finish time, confirming their compliance or non-compliance with the SI’s and the RRS. A boat will receive a submission receipt to the email address nominated in the declaration form. Should you not receive such confirmation the declaration is to be resubmitted.
26.2 The following circumstances shall be noted:
(a) an infringement occurs, however minor, of any rule, regulation, sailing instruction or
radio instruction; or
(b) the boat has taken the benefit of Temporary Discontinuance from Racing in SI 23; or
(c) the boat has taken a One Turn or Two Turns Penalty; or
(d) the boat acknowledges a Scoring Penalty in accordance with RRS 44.3; or
(e) the boat records its own finish time under SI 25.4; or
(f) the boat uses a bona fide replacement for a damaged mainsail under SI 12.1; or
(g) the boat fails to report in at a HF position sked; or
(h) [non?] compliance with the SI’s and RRS; or
(i) any other notable/extraordinary circumstance.

Was the “freak” helicopter incident which fried splitters and knocked out all the electronics on board declared to RC at any time before, during or after the race?

14 hours ago, Sidecar said:

Plenty of time, and RC could have nominated a fried splitter expert.......

Splitter and AIS worked for 2 days until "that tactical move" and then again 3 hours after the race....mmmmm.... How lucky was that.....genius 

16 hours ago, Feilberg said:

Get a life 

Hahaha

3 hours ago, Sidecar said:

Yep

Just doing my bit

I have just been watching a goldfish in a bowl they have on the counter in the marina office. The poor thing goes around and around all day every day. You would think it would go mad, repeating the same thing over and over. I guess with simple creatures like that every time it goes around it is all new again. 

• Like 2

And it is never too late for the RC to do its job properly:

27.7 There is no time limit for protests by the Race Committee or the International Jury. No other protests may be delivered after 1700 hours on 31 December 2018, (if a boat is still racing at that time they shall notify Hobart Race Control of their intent to protest) except when seeking redress. In that event, the time limit will be three hours after the protesting boat finishes. The International Jury may not extend the time for delivery of a protest lodged under the provisions of this clause (Amends RRS 61.3)

RC can no longer establish the true status of AIS transmit on WOXI during the race, it is now “unfortunately” mothballed for the season, but there seems to be clear omissions on the official declaration and no plausible explanations for it all?

I think the next step for Mark Richards will be Knighthood.! The give away was his partner's name begins with "LADY _______   ___________" 

A LADY "Once used to describe only women of a high social class or status, now it may refer to any adult woman. Informal use of this word is sometimes euphemistic ("lady of the night" for a pros____) or, in American slang, condescending (equivalent to "mister"). "Lady" is also a formal title in the United Kingdom.

Also "

1. a woman who is refined, polite, and well-spoken
  2. a woman of high social position or economic class
  3. (dated) a man’s wife, a female lover, or sweetheart

Man’s equivalent of “lady” is “gentleman”:

1. a chivalrous, courteous, or honorable man
  2. a man of good social position, especially one of wealth and leisure
54 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

but there seems to be clear omissions on the official declaration and no plausible explanations for it all?

Sidecar, do you have access to the CYCA's post race documents so you have read the declaration or are just getting that info from within this thread as is Papsmear, who also seems to have all the facts at hand.  Social media is hardly very strong proof of anything.

1 hour ago, PIL66 said:

Splitter and AIS worked for 2 days until "that tactical move" and then again 3 hours after the race....mmmmm.... How lucky was that.....genius 

Pil they didn't TX at all during race . Last transmission Bradley's Head 11.11am Boxing Day. Then grew wheels.

1575233611_WOXI_AIS_20181226_1111AEDT_A.jpg.dea232899ea948a4abf6cd08d48964f3.jpg414540691_WOXI_AIS_20181226_1111AEDT.jpg.a25ea6e4765f23160df98f2aa5882224.jpg1603764687_WOXITSHIRT.jpg.ad607d8cbda1a1dc7ae2cfc898490196.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sidecar said:

but there seems to be clear omissions on the official declaration and no plausible explanations for it all?

1 hour ago, trt131 said:

Sidecar, do you have access to the CYCA's post race documents so you have read the declaration or are just getting that info from within this thread as is Papsmear, who also seems to have all the facts at hand.  Social media is hardly very strong proof of anything.

Trt follow the dots backwards.

1. RC's Clayton Protest declared invalid by IJ as it relied solely on Black Jack's claim.

2. RC lodge protest around 8.00 pm.

3.WOXI lodge post race declaration no later than 2.00 pm.

4. Mid morning WOXI advised of Black Jack's AIS complaint.

If WOXI declaration contained statement about their AIS problems the RC had more than just Black Jack's evidence of non compliance with SI's and so the IJ could not have declared the protest invalid.

So take your pick for RC's protest to be declared invalid;

a) WOXI declaration contained statement about their AIS problems but the RC did not submit that evidence to the IJ.

OR

b) WOXI's declaration stating they complied with SI's in full.

2 hours ago, trt131 said:

Can you please arrange for the CYCA to publicly release WOXI’s official declaration? I promise to amend my comments accordingly.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Trt follow the dots backwards.

1. RC's Clayton Protest declared invalid by IJ as it relied solely on Black Jack's claim.

2. RC lodge protest around 8.00 pm.

If WOXI declaration contained statement about their AIS problems the RC had more than just Black Jack's evidence of non compliance with SI's and so the IJ could not have declared the protest invalid.

So take your pick for RC's protest to be declared invalid;

a) WOXI declaration contained statement about their AIS problems but the RC did not submit that evidence to the IJ.

OR

b) WOXI's declaration stating they complied with SI's in full.

I have no clue which answer is correct but it could be

c) No one in the race office thoroughly inspected the declarations as they came in and so the RC was acting solely on Black Jack's complaint of not seeing the AIS.

16 minutes ago, trt131 said:

c) No one in the race office thoroughly inspected the declarations as they came in and so the RC was acting solely on Black Jack's complaint of not seeing the AIS.

RC  had 12 hours to check and recheck and even inspect........ what is the point of a declaration if you don’t check it, especially if it demands that a competitor declares all relevant events and circumstances?

And notwithstanding JS’ explanation above, what do you do with the freak helicopter fry up?

If it wasn’t in the declaration, surely Richards fucked up? if it was, then surely CYCA fucked up?

You choose........ or

c) CYCA fucked up either way, but they can still do something about it.

12 minutes ago, trt131 said:

And we have a winner of the inaugural "Papsmear award for Interweb Stupidity"   Or PIS for short.  Congratulations TRT 131

Are you seriously suggesting WOXI filed a report stating it was in breach and no one noticed?

3 minutes ago, paps49 said:

And we have a winner of the inaugural "Papsmear award for interweb stupidity"   PIS for short.  Congratulations TRT 131

Are you seriously suggesting WOXI filed a report stating it was in breach and no one noticed?

That’s what looking at too much social media can do to you.......

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

41 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Can you please arrange for the CYCA to publicly release WOXI’s official declaration? I promise to amend my comments accordingly.

Side that declaration will be locked away in a safe or already is in landfill never to see the light of day. It would either finish a career in tatters or destroy a club's reputation. 

For completeness the nature of that advise about Black Jack's AIS complaint was this ABC interview and the timing being a bit after 9.00 am (or around an hour after the finish) or nearly 5 hours before WOXI's race declaration was due.

Note: If at this time of interview WOXI had already submitted their declaration (within an hour after the finish) not knowing of their AIS TX being inoperative, they then had nearly 5 hours to correct that declaration.

If not then no excuse for either that correction not occuring or one being submitted indicating full compliance with the SI's.

A declaration including AIS problems would have led to a IJ hearing on the RC's protest, not the protest being declared invalid.

Richards being ambushed by this ABC TV crew just over an hour after the finish provides the evidence of WOXI's declaration cooking the arse of either;

a) WOXI if it indicated compliance; or

b) the RC if it indicated non-compliance.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, trt131 said:

" So (trt) take your pick for RC's protest to be declared invalid;

a) WOXI declaration contained statement about their AIS problems but the RC did not submit that evidence to the IJ.

OR

b) WOXI's declaration stating they complied with SI's in full."

Fuck me.. we now have the "blind flying pink pig" theory.

images (8).jpeg

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Side that declaration will be locked away in a safe or already is in landfill never to see the light of day. It would either finish a career in tatters or destroy a club's reputation. 

For completeness the nature of that advise about Black Jack's AIS complaint was this ABC interview and the timing being a bit after 9.00 am (or around an hour after the finish) or nearly 5 hours before WOXI's race declaration was due.

Note: If at this time of interview WOXI had already submitted their declaration (within an hour after the finish) not knowing of their AIS TX being inoperative, they then had nearly 5 hours to correct that declaration.

If not then no excuse for either that correction not occuring or one being submitted indicating full compliance with the SI's.

A declaration including AIS problems would have led to a IJ hearing on the RC's protest, not the protest being declared invalid.

Richards being ambushed by this ABC TV crew just over an hour after the finish provides the evidence of WOXI's declaration cooking the arse of either;

a) WOXI if it indicated compliance; or

b) the RC if it indicated non-compliance.

I hope they sacked that sound engineer! Clearly a CYC/WO stooge.

As for MR what do you expect if you get on the piss at 8am after an overnighter. I have some experience of this phenomena.

The funniest thing about these claims for PROOF is that none is necessary.

The skipper of Wild Oats admitted publicly that their AIS was not transmitting with several wonderful and creative explanations for the reason why it wasn't. Truth it wasn't working.

The SI's for the race say it must me working. Truth it should have been.

There is no question whatsoever if WOXI was in breach.

That's why we have the Crickets. There is no defense.

Most of these 37 pages contain discussion on what was done with that information.

12 minutes ago, paps49 said:

I hope they sacked that sound engineer! Clearly a CYC/WO stooge.

Mate that is a young ABC reporter who tagged along using his smart phone. It is also the interview start to end, not the edited version that went to air.

7 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mate that is a young ABC reporter who tagged along using his smart phone. It is also the interview start to end, not the edited version that went to air.

Was jus a joke.

Edit, had to put on the headphones. He clearly states AIS is not mandatory, I hadn't heard that in his own words. Nice one.

Moving on, if by some miracle WO were to mea culpa what should happen then?

Black Jack don't really deserve it either.

Can it be declared no winner on LO?

That should be good for a few pages.

1 hour ago, paps49 said:

The funniest thing about these claims for PROOF is that none is necessary.

The skipper of Wild Oats admitted publicly that their AIS was not transmitting with several wonderful and creative explanations for the reason why it wasn't. Truth it wasn't working.

Actually pap you are wrong. The closest Richards has come to admitting AIS TX failure is "reduced" TX power. A reduction by the way so great the AIS RX that recieved their last AIS TX adjacent Bradleys Head in Sydney before the start was a mear stone's throw away.

"We believe our VHF splitter had been compromised through the video live-stream download before the start. We were receiving AIS information, but we now believe our signal wasn't strong enough to transmit with much range."

That then places any "proof" solely in WOXI's Declaration in conjunction with proof knowing before making that declaration, he knew their AIS TX was compromised.

Evidence of that "prior knowledge" rests in that ABC TV interview around an hour after the finish where he claimed that was the first he heard of it being an issue and the "its not mandatory brain fart". Interestingly his own words contradict that timing and indicate he knew of the issue upon hitting the dock.

"When we got to the dock in Hobart and tried to work out what was going on. We found that the splitter box, that goes to the VHF antenna, used by the AIS system, was fried'. 

Detective work is about following the money, in this case a AIS TX signal and someone with a bad case of Tourettes.

The proof has been sitting there on the "public record" from over 2 hours before the Start on Boxing Day. Seems the RC wasn't to keen to go looking for it over the 12 hours after the Finish when it first became aware. A RC decision that pumped pure oxygen into their Clayton's Protest and automatically deeming it to be declared invalid by the IJ.

• Like 1

"When we got to the dock in Hobart and tried to work out what was going on. We found that the splitter box, that goes to the VHF antenna, used by the AIS system, was fried'. 
 This is interesting too.

1. Why go looking for something as soon at you dock that you weren't aware of during the race?

2. Surely that would be declarable on their form?

2 hours ago, paps49 said:

I don't think you can blame it on MAD.

That is not @mad . He doesn't own a Rolex unlike members of RC where theirs have automatic WOXI Protest Alarm settings. Things like 6 hours after the Finish for competitor Declarations and after 12 hours no RC unilateral access to a vessel without the agreement of the competitor. 

Ricco reckons  in that interview that all boats could see each other at all times.? That couldn't be true otherwise why would have PH on BJ raised the issue? If they could see each other visually then Oats won fair and square, notwithstanding the issue of AIS and the Race rules. If not then Ricco is lying or misleading the public with that statement. 

17 minutes ago, paps49 said:

This is interesting too.

1. Why go looking for something as soon at you dock that you weren't aware of during the race?

2. Surely that would be declarable on their form?

Mate you are either a fuckin slow learner or you have busted your pencil trying to join the dots here. God forbid maybe both.

BTW this is not a chart of the Derwent showing the finish line.

courtesy Mad.

Fruity-Chunks-17.thumb.jpg.95f088322fd2f89b89a3548c51242237.jpg

57 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Ricco reckons  in that interview that all boats could see each other at all times.? That couldn't be true otherwise why would have PH on BJ raised the issue? If they could see each other visually then Oats won fair and square, notwithstanding the issue of AIS and the Race rules. If not then Ricco is lying or misleading the public with that statement. 

"Ricco reckons in that interview that all boats could see each other at all times.?"

"If not then Ricco is lying or misleading the public with that statement". 

Fuck has someone just pumped a shit load of "Retarded Gas" into this room? Who gives a fuck about misleading the public. What about the RC blinded or otherwise, the sailing world and fellow competitors?

Terra we all appreciate these fuckin 100' are quick but they don't start just after midday in Sydney and are in Hobart before fucking nightfall. Neither do I think WOXI handed out really long telescopes and night vision goggles before hand to everyone to compensate for it being a 2 day 2 night gig this edition and seperation which is real not made up, courtesy of the race tracker 

WOXI (blue), Black Jack (2nd, red), Comanche (3rd, red) and InfoTrack (yellow) as at daylight 5:45am Friday. This is just after WOXI had just done the Tasman Is pass out wide in the dark using stealth mode, with WOXI seeing the others parking up inside (their AIS RX working), gybed going wide and without their knowledge using their AIS TX cone of disappearance.

10671038-3x2-940x627.jpg

33 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

so paps pre-ais you'd also decry someone cheated by losing a nav light - or prove they deliberately switched it off ?

Nobody said they cheated losing the AIS. Cheating implies deliberate breaking of the rules for advantage. 

Lose a nav light in an overnight race - list it on your compliance form. Simple. Deliberately not list it on your form, well that is a different question.

It isn't the crime, it is the cover-up that always gets you. Just ask many of the recent presidents of the USA.

15 to go. 

Good work lads. Same old shit of course but good work on the post count nevertheless. 

Now no fucking Pedo comments you cunts. We can smell the stable but we can’t afford to lose another retard so close to the line. 

• Like 1

So to celebrate page #38 of this thread yet again and now neck and neck with the main S2H Race Thread.

This will make you laugh or cry, or possibly both if you care about sailings reputation. 

These posts below are the first few hours of this thread when most of Australia was asleep if you are wondering why some here today are absent and those from overseas quoted have never reappeared again except maybe as thread viewers. I should stress this thread commenced at the point the RC announced their protest Friday evening and around 12 hours after WOXI's Finish and with little information to hand then. Therefore the lead up during daytime Friday sits in the S2H 2018 main race thread, starting with Black Jack having a cry on national television around an hour after WOXI finished and Richo did the "9 Finger Salute" with his thumb itching to be released.  

Post #1. The OP Mid who has since disappeared and chasing vapour trails on PA I presume.

Post #2. Laser who I now call Nostradamus...Thread page and post numbers in 4 weeks exceeding the Main Race Thread that had been going for 11 months (adding back in posts from those like Frant who have been sacked here or those trying to wind that stat back) and this thread now with nearly 77,000 views or thousands per day and exceeds the Main Race Thread views per day by around 5:1. Quite an intriguing statistic and indicating something is not going to go away soon.   

Post #3. Some Fuckwit suggesting this thread is a waste of space and clearly who should be put out to pasture. :-)

The rest have a chuckle over. While on quick observation this thread appears not to have advanced beyond the these first few hours, it is not appreciated those here have now negotiated a long and torturous path.

That includes a RC with apparent dementia except for how to lodge invalid protests, PR spin from a NZ journalist who has traded independence for access, helicopters, microwaves, WOXI fanboys who think rules are for losers, WOXI criticising the SI's and demanding a RC apology, Rule 69's, Randumb, a Splitter turned into KFC, LB's MR hero wall memes and a Race Declaration that was either written in lemon juice or has been kidnapped by Aliens to now got to this point five fucking weeks later. Well no wonder it has taken so bloody long.

What is this point? Well maybe at the same point that some Opti kid says enough is enough and leaves the sport sick of being bullied by that Opti rich kid family with no concept of the self-policing rules behind this sport? Maybe at the same point a Club with a Royal name with one of its Office Bearers with family world sailing credentials a mile long who puts the sport into disrepute and T bones other competitors knowing they can keep doing that shit time and time again without any fear of prosecution? 

So more to the point, at what point do people say enough is enough with his shit? Or does no one really care until it is too late?    

Well it seems at this point of this thread there are only two inescapable conclusions and questions supported by evidence on the "public record" (that a RC was either incapable of looking for or who didn't go looking for);

a) WOXI's post-race Declaration contained a statement about their AIS problems but the RC did not submit that evidence to the IJ.

OR

b) WOXI's post-race Declaration stating they complied with SI's in full.

One Declaration or the other resulted in the International Jury declaring the RC's Protest to be invalid. One or the other Declaration (if ever to see the light of day) will either finish a career in tatters or destroy a Club's reputation. The question is, is either really bigger than the sport at large?

So anyone can be maybe excused for wanting it all to go away. However remember once you do that your rights to complaining in the future about governance in this sport you have already flushed down the toilet. You reap what you sew.  

Your choice people. 

Note: One feature of this thread since the beginning is that apart from a few idiots the words "deliberate cheating" has not been applied. The overall concerns and discussion have been about the lack of transparency and normal process, together with discussion on evidence at hand and why the AIS activation rule was imposed. The public claims by the WOXI camp about that cheating accusation coming from "online chatterati" therefore has no substance and should be regarded as insulting here.

On 12/28/2018 at 11:13 PM, Mid said:

On 12/28/2018 at 11:24 PM, Laser1 said:

Pitch fork, check.  Tar, check.  Feathers, check. :lol:

On 12/29/2018 at 12:35 AM, jack_sparrow said:

I love people who open a multiple thread to generate multiple posts on the same subject matter.

On 12/29/2018 at 12:37 AM, Manny Ramirez said:

I wondered what would happen with this issue. If the unit was intentionally turned off, I suspect Wild Oats will not be happy with the outcome of this protest.

On 12/29/2018 at 1:22 AM, Coolerking said:

Unless the tracker company can demonstrate 100% failsafe operation, then I cant see how they can toss them.

We have issues like this in Baja while racing off road,  IMHO trackers are shit...everywhere, all the time.

On 12/29/2018 at 1:33 AM, jack_sparrow said:

^^^This is why a duplicate thread is such a great idea. It is AIS not Tracker unit you imbicile.

On 12/29/2018 at 2:35 AM, Glenn McCarthy said:

Chickenshit to turn off AIS, Chickenshit to protest over it.

On 12/29/2018 at 2:54 AM, us7070 said:

i doubt it was turned off on purpose by anyone who read and understood the SI's, and wanted to cheat - you would know 100% that you would get caught

the race committee lodged the protest - they really had no choice

"The Cruising Yacht Club of Australia (CYCA), the organising authority for the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race, has been advised that Race Committee has advised that they have lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI."

On 12/29/2018 at 3:04 AM, NaptimeAgain said:

One can break a rule without intentionally "cheating" so you can still get a DQ unless a rule specifically requires demonstrated intent to subvert the rule. 

On 12/29/2018 at 3:27 AM, A Boy Named Stu said:

11.4 Changes to Special Regulations

• Special Regulation 4.09 (a): An AIS Transponder shall be carried and be switched on, such that it is receiving and transmitting.

http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/media/3438679/rshyr-si-final.pdf

Does anyone have a link to the interview with mark richards on the dock? I think he mentions having the tracker on but not AIS, and said something about being able to see the other boats the entire race so it shouldn't have mattered?

On 12/29/2018 at 3:55 AM, dash34 said:

By the wording of the rule, as long as the device was on in transmit and receive mode for the whole race, it doesn't matter if its effective range was 10 miles or 10 metres.  If WOXI can show that the problem was simply poor transmit range, they are good IMHO.

On 12/29/2018 at 3:58 AM, See Level said:

Why would Oats intentionally keep their AIS transmit turned off when they were within sight of their competition almost the entire time?

On 12/29/2018 at 4:03 AM, Just A Skosh said:

AIS gives you a lot more information than just an idea where the other boat is.  Instant feedback on COG/SOG, small differences in which are imperceptible to the human eye.

On 12/29/2018 at 4:08 AM, Le Crabe said:

That WOXI is on a sticky wicket is due to the fact that they are alleged tout have not transmitted for the entire race. That makes it difficult to claim low range, power outage etc

On 12/29/2018 at 4:12 AM, Just A Skosh said:

Data says they cheated:

image.thumb.png.eea010d795927c6a7734ae106117aa9f.png

image.thumb.png.70e4472c4b16ceb3be9a1ceea3d0751f.png

On 12/29/2018 at 4:17 AM, Akshiena said:

Not denying that the Oately family have made a great contribution to the ocean racing scene down under, the parallel being Bart Cummings who won many Melbourne Cups in horse racing, who once was reported to say after an stewards investigation into the jockey's behaviour on a particular horse..."what the fuck....this is my race...I own it...they can fuck off"..which also involved millions of dollars in race winnings...

Maybe time to change the jockey....?

On 12/29/2018 at 5:22 AM, lydia said:

Should be disqualified . Ais data has crossing distance time to target etc so clear advantage

also real time not like the tracker

just look at the effect on the Volvo race

poor power output or transmission range is bullshit

most importantly ais is there for other vessels not just race boats

On 12/29/2018 at 5:50 AM, lydia said:

So guess later today we will see if the jury members are boy racers or grown ups who understand that a yacht race exists in the a wider commercial maritime world

On 12/29/2018 at 5:54 AM, Miffy said:

Whomever ends up before the jury, I hope they have better integrity than folks making up excuses like transmission power or what not. 

Factually say what you or your crew did. At worst you get DSQ. Put together lies? You're asking for an individual ban. 

On 12/29/2018 at 5:58 AM, us7070 said:

there is not going to be a DSQ

nobody deliberately cheated - it was a mistake.

the worst will be a time penalty

On 12/29/2018 at 6:13 AM, Cal20sailor said:

Pretty definitive statement that nobody deliberately cheated.  Do you have more information than what has been posted here.  As I said earlier, without MR opening his mouth, they could have survived the protest.  

On 12/29/2018 at 6:15 AM, TPG said:

AIS was turned off or failed an hour or more before the race began. That's pretty definitive. 

Also why didn't anyone call them out on it at the start of the race?

On 12/29/2018 at 6:18 AM, DogBalls said:

SA sponsored the protest, to get more web traffic

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

.... when most of Australia was asleep if you are wondering why some here today are absent and those from overseas quoted have never reappeared again except maybe as thread viewers. Correct

Post #2. Laser who I now call Nostradamus...

Anybody could see where this was going...... sorry ... ignore that comment :lol:

It has been fun to just listen from the side lines.

Carry on!

12 minutes ago, DtM said:

Laser, you had important work to do recovering that boat in the Atlantic.

Now just help get us over the line.

True that.  Thanks for mentioning.

Only a few to go and I'm certain a few around here would like to have that honour.