2018 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race: The Race Committee has lodged a protest against Wild Oats XI

48 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Pap I suspect you are not alone struggling for 2 answers without going down the conspiracy burrow. However as to your question about the RC's knowledge in terms of "timing". I have raised it within my two questions above, but only on a conditional basis as the information is not corroborated, where the foundation of the questions are and can't be challenged.

It is a burrow however I have reserved as Question 3 and intend posting seperately as involves more than just timing, the basis of those two questions.

You have probably cottoned on by now by my 2 recent large posts I have started a process of summarising all the thoughts expressed in this thread to date, tit bits forgotten like that timing matter and in the form of simple questions for people to make their own mind up. I'm breaking it down into small sections having regard for @mad short attention span :-)

Indeed, it is a conundrum. How do we sort fact from fiction in a vacuum?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In loving memory of Clark and Daw We welcome this evening Mr Richard the skipper of the winning power boat. Hello Brian. Mr Richard, may we call you Dick? Sure Brian, most

If Matt Allen as President of AS has any balls he should put Harburg/Bradford and Oatley/Richards in a room and read them the riot act. Harburg for not protesting but having a cry on national TV and O

Ok I am now caught up on this thread. Yes I went live - first actually - with the news direct from Shipwright Arms where WOXI were having lunch in one room, and BJ in the other. Was the best place to

Posted Images

Professionalism in sport comes with responsibilities, you can't cash the pay check and deny scrutiny. It's not a private club anymore. If you want sponsors to pay the bills be prepared for the people who the sponsors sell their shit to to have a voice.

On 2/7/2019 at 8:33 AM, Sidecar said:

Was the “freak” helicopter incident which fried splitters and knocked out all the electronics on board declared to RC at any time before, during or after the race?

Side I have been spending some time going through this thread from the beginning trying summarise in simple format questions that capture everything. As I don't have a PA with big tits I stumbled across this and your following unanwered question.

The fried splitter only came to light 3 days after the finish courtesy of the Gladwell Sail-World.com/nz interview or some might say WOXI spin piece. WOXI's knowledge they had a non compliant AIS is Richo's own words supplemented by being bailed up by the ABC around an hour after the Finish and being told so.

"When we got to the dock in Hobart and tried to work out what was going on. We found that the splitter box, that goes to the VHF antenna, used by the AIS system, was fried'. 

As to the timing of any declaration by WOXI to the RC of that is unknown other than the overarching Race Declaration due for lodgement 6 hours after race finish as you know. The contents of that Declaration can only be one of two things that lead to a RC Protest being declared invalid by the IJ.

a) WOXI declaration contained statement about their AIS problems but the RC did not submit that evidence to the IJ.

OR

b) WOXI's declaration stating they complied with SI's in full with no evidence independent of Black Jack's to support the RC's Protest.

On 2/7/2019 at 6:48 AM, Sidecar said:

And it is public knowledge that the splitter and AIS were working perfectly 3 hours after the race?

Yes see AIS plot time RX below indicating that WOXI's AIS TX was captured by Aliens between 2 hours before the start and 5 hours (1.06 pm) after the Finish. Comanche's also shown with plot time for comparison and Black Jack's track only.

My guess you already picked this all up but I did this reply anyway for completeness.

image.thumb.png.eea010d795927c6a7734ae106117aa9f.png.7bd82350b4cc0653daae6c7b14098a88.png

image.thumb.png.70e4472c4b16ceb3be9a1ceea3d0751f.png.370c8b68a7830ecf2c4175bf8babd148.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, paps49 said:

So we got shafted?

You say; "So we got shafted?"

I think to narrow that down is to say "everyone on planet earth got shafted" except for 2 1/2 parties.

The common denominator for two parties is only having 9 fingers to display and unleashing the 9th took two goes by one to do it. Their current vocabulary is dominated by the word "redemption" and words like "transparency", "accountability" and even acronyms like RRS and SI are regarded as an itch.

As for the 1/2 party, well not a complete party as that will never be known unless someone squeals.

Interestingly though their own respective acronyms by number of letters probably ranks their sphere of influence in a race result.

That may help you joining the dots.

12d264151816a3598e1d6eb95fe65307.png

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Good work everyone. Keep it up. A few more laps of the goldfish bowl and we will be there.

LB the beauty of being a Goldfish or having dementia is your next lap of the bowl is always your first. Me thinks you may be similarly inflicted by posting here the same cry-baby memes thinking they are fresh? If not, can you please reply to this post otherwise I will have no recollection of having made it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, paps49 said:

@LB 15 What happened to the cat hunting thread, it appears to have been nuked? I do hope it's not because of Deformation case concerns!

4 hours ago, LB 15 said:

No idea mate. There are only so many hours in the day.

3 hours ago, paps49 said:

Surely you of all people must see the ironing on the wall?

"Ironing on the wall" Fuck me paps, I keep telling you to join the dots and what do you do? You keep going for the low hanging fruit like @LB 15 . Mate his "Black and White" Hero Wall is now finally balanced with this WOXI 9th win and he is now a happy camper.

PS. If your wondering about the Sports Illustrated #5 odd man out guy in pic below? That is Michael Phelps another LB hero, the swimmer, decorated Olympian, but receiving multiple suspended prison sentences after many drunken driving charges and USA Swimming also banning him from the sport for a while.

I have it on good report that LB has been recently stalking Jimmy Ginger Spithill with a transformation pack of hair dye, freckle remover, spray tan, a case of rum and keys to LB's car. My only guess is he has left over wall space and thinks the world of reflective sailing is now under represented on his hero wall?

Mate a hint.. everyone chases their own wall space, some are more balanced than others.

images (9).jpeg

lancearmstrong.jpg

file-photo-of-ben-johnson-winning-100-meters-at-seoul-olympics.jpg

images (10).jpeg

images (11).jpeg

• Like 1
12 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

You say; "So we got shafted?"

I think to narrow that down is to say "everyone on planet earth got shafted" except for 2 1/2 parties.

The common denominator for two parties is only having 9 fingers to display and unleashing the 9th took two goes by one to do it. Their current vocabulary is dominated by the word "redemption" and words like "transparency", "accountability" and even acronyms like RRS and SI are regarded as an itch.

As for the 1/2 party, well not a complete party as that will never be known unless someone squeals.

Interestingly though their own respective acronyms by number of letters probably ranks their sphere of influence in a race result.

That may help you joining the dots.

12d264151816a3598e1d6eb95fe65307.png

I think I can CY you might say that.

Jack

Re your post # 3741:

1) If all the electronics on board went down before the race, due to a freak helicopter incident, I would suggest that in itself is a notable/significant event as defined in SI 26.2 (i), regardless of any undiscovered “damage”.

2) If WOXI were “told” one hour after the race by ABC news that they were AIS non compliant and then no later than five hours after the race showed a full strength AIS signal, they must have “found” the problem and “fixed” it. They may have publicly announced the “probable” cause three days later, but what did they put in their declaration? They also had time to amend their declaration if necessary?

CYCA RC in my opinion are primarily the ones to blame for all of this. They let WOXI (and others) off  because of their own shortcomings.Their AIS SI was totally inadequate. They didn’t monitor or police it; a “random” sat phone call query any time during the race would have clarified things. They didn’t inspect or establish the facts.They swept it under the carpet with a bogus protest.

As I suggested way up thread somewhere, if CYCA are serious about AIS, why not use it, or an adapted branded version of it, as the official tracker for the race? Minimum strength of all transmissions to be visible on the internet. Easy policing by anyone around the world. We all could see on the internet what CYCA couldn’t.

And in any case at the very least, ensure that the AIS SI’s are at least as comprehensive and consistent as those for VHF and Sat Phones, including declarations and automatic penalties.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Sidecar said:

They may have publicly announced the “probable” cause three days later, but what did they put in their declaration? They also had time to amend their declaration if necessary?

CYCA RC in my opinion are primarily the ones to blame for all of this. They let WOXI (and others) off  because of their own shortcomings.Their AIS SI was totally inadequate. They didn’t monitor or police it; a “random” sat phone call query any time during the race would have clarified things. They didn’t inspect or establish the facts.They swept it under the carpet with a bogus protest.

Side the contents of the SI's and WOXI's are irrelevant. The contents of WOXI's Compliance Declaration might add a twist to the story, but it doesn't change the story, or the RC's roll in the outcome.

Putting aside AIS activation being something on a long list of mandated safety gear, the scenario is identical to WOXI arriving in Hobart where it was discovered through oversight there were no liferafts in the deck canisters. The outcome is identical to the CYCA/RC not giving a bugger about that by not looking into and making sure their own Protest would never be heard by the IJ. That is no different to them not protesting at all.

Claims that this all came about because Black Jack didn't protest are unfounded. How many competitors would lodge a protest about safety gear compliance?

In fact the outcome here is no different than if WOXI came alongside the Committee boat at the start and throwing their liferafts at the feet of the RC saying we don't need this stuff.

The CYCA/RC are the sole ones to blame for all this and should be lined up and held to account. 

PS. There is an interesting twist to this story to come and not mentioned in the 38 pages here, which buries the RC even deeper in the shit.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

PS. There is an interesting twist to this story to come and not mentioned in the 38 pages here, which buries the RC even deeper in the shit.

fd5de0a572e310c7232339a90ef2731870676512a073a3d92cfe9f58a66c2999.jpg.d00c8a6a8c5511c66c2ef61f73477210.jpg

Can't wait !

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Feilberg said:

I know nothing about the S2H other than what I've been reading on here, (Have a new hero btw), but this post describes this thread to a 'T'.  One bitch is 5ish posters and the other mongrel is two-ish.  Loving every page, hope you all get to 50!  If you do I'll set it up so LB15 and MR can bang their "low hanging fruit" off my hot Asian neighbour at the same time.   From the sounds next door, it wouldn't be the first time.

• Like 1

"The Race Committee received a report from the owner of Black Jack advising that Wild Oats XI’s AIS had not transmitted throughout the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2018," the media release stated. "On investigation, and based on its own evidence, the Race Committee considers there may have been a breach of S.I. 11.4 in respect of Special Regulation 4.09 (a)."

This media release is interesting.

What investigation and evidence?

They didn't present any.....

24 minutes ago, paps49 said:

All they submitted to IJ hearing was AIS tracking data showing WOXI potentially in breech and the 'conflicted' Black Jack Report the source of their first knowledge of this and caused them to obtain that tracking data.

11 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

All they submitted to IJ hearing was AIS tracking data showing WOXI potentially in breech and the 'conflicted' Black Jack Report the source of their first knowledge of this and caused them to obtain that tracking data.

Fucking strong work lads, ya done well.

Edit.

Who ever you are.

2 hours ago, paps49 said:

"The Race Committee received a report from the owner of Black Jack advising that Wild Oats XI’s AIS had not transmitted throughout the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2018," the media release stated. "On investigation, and based on its own evidence, the Race Committee considers there may have been a breach of S.I. 11.4 in respect of Special Regulation 4.09 (a)."

This media release is interesting.

They didn't present any.....

They didn't have to because the protest was never heard.  Blind Freddie could have forecast that result.  The whole business of the protest was the RC's rather amateurish way of making justice being seen to be done.  The media fell for it which is all that mattered.

17 hours ago, savoir said:

They didn't have to because the protest was never heard.  Blind Freddie could have forecast that result.  The whole business of the protest was the RC's rather amateurish way of making justice being seen to be done.  The media fell for it which is all that mattered.

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Congratulations every one. We are now bigger than the race itself. 

We should celebrate by introducing something new to this thread.

C0EA622C-1464-4758-A22F-8899EAE73BD1.gif

Most of the mainstream media and their audience couldn't give a fuck. Most of the competitors gave up years ago giving a fuck about what the 100 footer club did amoungst themselves. However what has occurred is the decision of the RC to lodge a meaningless Clayton's Protest and one destined to be declared invalid, is they have now become the story.  

One member of the media who do tend to dig a bit deeper and both broke the story and follow it up was Australia's public broadcaster the ABC. Channel 7 were too busy assembling Oatley Wine Adverts into their news pieces.

This is a ABC TV summary piece that first went to air mid morning after the finish and after they had interviewed both BJ and WOXI around 9.00am. It contains Richo's famous brain fart that "AIS is not a mandatory thing". Also forgotten when talking about the extraordinary 11 hours it took the RC to lodge a protest with no investigation, is the RC indicated right up front Friday morning that it would not be investigating or lodging a Protest. 

Why in the fuck they then lodged a piece of crap is anyone's guess, but all it has done is put a spotlight on it that is still lit. That spotlight intensified by Richo's dumb fuck responses including Intergalactic Death Rays and breaking a promise to come clean plus compounded by his 2017 form.

I'll post the last bits of the puzzle later which guts the RC/CYCA and indicates WOXI do have some cause to feel badly treated.

Starts at 1:15. 

The ABC should start televising the race with the rest of the fleet and all advert free. Do any Aust politicians sail?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Last Post said:

This entire circle jerking thread ... FFS guys, kill it off. Biggest waste of bandwidth in the history of SA.

Nothing like setting records, it doen’ matter how you do it..... ask MR......... We are all so grateful that so much band width has been taken up by all those trying to bury and kill the thread with gratuitous, bullying, insulting, threatening, infantile posts and memes....

1 hour ago, Sidecar said:

Nothing like setting records, it doen’ matter how you do it..... ask MR......... We are all so grateful that so much band width has been taken up by all those trying to bury and kill the thread with gratuitous, bullying, insulting, threatening, infantile posts and memes....

Don’t get a nosebleed up there on the high ground cupcake.

So apparently unless Jack turns up Ms Marple's closely held secret we are doomed to be overtaken by an inferior thread.

You put so much into these things and yet in the end you realise it were all for nought.  

Just another example of something lost and a situation less better.

23 minutes ago, paps49 said:

So apparently unless Jack turns up Ms Marple's closely held secret we are doomed to be overtaken by an inferior thread.

You put so much into these things and yet in the end you realise it were all for nought.  

Just another example of something lost and a situation less better.

Miss Marple nearly finished with reviewing "The Butler Did It."

'Good Things Come To Those Who Wait'

images (13).jpeg

• Like 2
On 2/9/2019 at 6:22 PM, paps49 said:

Apparently News LTD just got wind of this thread.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:34 AM, Turkey Slapper said:

Has Oats been scrubbed yet? 

I still have the TAB ticket ready to cash in as soon as they are! 

Get on with it eh guys!!!!

Breaking news.. horseshit Paps.. fuckin News Ltd and Rupert couldn't break a hymen if their life depended on it even if he is the Prime Minister. I keep telling you son the ABC is the Oracle.

Turkey slap that betting slip into wherever you slap stuff for safekeeping.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Makes you wonder. In all my sailing time I was taught it was about honesty, after all if you cheated you were only cheating yourself. That being said there are different personalities in the world, there's good and bad. It's the world we live in. This is a great article but one I didn't want to read. 

cheat

Dictionary result for cheat

CHEAT
/tʃiːt/
verb

1. 1.
    act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.
    "she always cheats at cards"

2. 2.
    avoid (something undesirable) by luck or skill.
    "she cheated death in a spectacular crash"
    synonyms: avoid, escape, evade, elude, steer clear of, dodge, duck, miss, sidestep, bypass, skirt, shun, eschew; More

Good piece Shang

I believe in this case and many others, the opposition should have protested.... Many still feel sailing should be decided on the race course... I say bullshit, take it to the room. It's proven people will not always be honest.... this isn't a chook raffle... I know all at the big end of town are not happy with the WO splitter crap but don't want to be labelled crybabies.... 

History will not be rewritten ... 2018 LH winner is Oats...... but

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

LB is like a Jew fish that mouths the bait so I'm not expecting anything soon. Complete opposite to Paps who hits the hook hard like a Barramundi.

I think he is more like a Mangrove Jack. :) 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, PIL66 said:

History will not be rewritten ... 2018 LH winner is Oats...... but

No. History for the 2018 SH has yet to be written up and we are now left with with a conundrum based on what has been reported. A certain Skipper seems to have been reported as making contradicting statements concerning the operation of a mandatory piece of navigation equipment, which, if non-operational, will have disadvantaged his opponents, possibly to the extent that he would not have arrived first at the line. I understand from press reports, that said skipper firmly left the ball in his own court when he said he would "prove" what actually happened, not that that makes much of a difference if the gear wasn't operational, but I understand skipper is credited with two contradictory reports to the press. One saying the equipment was operating all the time, and a second where he said it was non-operational during the race. He gave himself the opportunity to clear all this up "in a week's time", but so far I have read no reports concerning his "proof" about what happened re. the equipment.
For me, and I expect for many others, whilst we note that the cup and prizes have been distributed, the matter of who won the 2018 SH remains very much an open question which we expect the skipper to resolve according to good sportsmanship principles once he is clear in his own mind about what he and his boat actually did, and/or for the race organizers to clear up. Otherwise I shall have to conclude that the 2018 SH real winner is as yet unknown.
This will be a hard act to follow. I wait with baited breath to discover What new entertainment we can expect from the SH organizers and their pals at the end of this year!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, staysail said:

... I wait with baited breath ...

Please!

"...bated breath ..."

:angry:

(Of course, you may be saying that you have halitosis and your breath smells like rotten fish ... - in which case I apologise for correcting you)

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

Please!

"...bated breath ..."

:angry:

(Of course, you may be saying that you have halitosis and your breath smells like rotten fish ... - in which case I apologise for correcting you)

The Shorter Oxford lists bait as an alternative to bate.