Worlds most expensive Home Stereo ?

I might have mentioned this on another thread, but for anyone with some great old school gear that might be interested in going digital with something like Sonos/Bose wireless...Hold on a moment and take a look at the Bose Soundtouch router. It hooks up to the back of your analog receiver and gives your existing system digital capabilities all for under 200 bucks...and the sound...while maybe a step down from vinyl...is surprisingly good. Whatever they've done to lacquer the analog to digital conversion they've done a pretty good job. 

My set-up has upstairs/downstairs speakers wired to a single amp and the analog/digital Soundtouch, as an option apart from my Bang and Olufsen turntable, allows phone or I-pad playing from anywhere in the house on either bluetooth or wireless(the wireless bandwidth being noticeably better for sound.)

I know, sonically gauche to speak of a 200 buck digital gizmo on a million dollar stereo thread, but try it, you might get new life out of your old stereo, esp with a streaming account.

5 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Same here!!!  I still have 4 smaller Advent speakers and the high performance amp from 40 years ago, but Pandora from iPhone to bluetooth speaker, or Alexa, or Comcast music on the telly, is all I need nowadays.....

I bought a pair of Advents for my first good system. They sounded so good that several people I knew went out and bought them.

31 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I bought a pair of Advents for my first good system. They sounded so good that several people I knew went out and bought them.

IIRC, the smaller Avents were 4 ohm, instead of 8, so more bang for the buck!

I had Advent Legacy speakers. They were pretty good.

edit: I was moving and just didn't want to deal with moving my sound system, so I gave it all to an off-the boat Jamaican guy I called Kwazy Sam because I couldn't pronounce his real name.

He comes by and I have everything in the garage. He comes in and asks me to help him. I said that none of it is overly heavy, what's the deal?

"Well mon, a black Jamaican packing up a stereo out of someone's garage in this neighborhood...It doesn't look too good."

Me: "Oh hell, I didn't think of that."

• Like 2

On 1/7/2019 at 10:01 AM, Point Break said:

:lol: It is not quite that bad just yet but I have lost some amount of upper range frequencies. Enough that any money spent on exquisitely sensitive wide frequency range sound reproduction would not be money well spent.

On 1/7/2019 at 10:23 AM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

irony, listening to a $2mil system via a youtube video with laptop speakers.

On 1/7/2019 at 10:41 AM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i've had a few systems over the years, all inexpensive mid end..  but here's one area i think technology has greatly improved..  back then it was  a $250 Nikko 45w stereo amp.. now it's a $400 Sony 120w 7.2.2 system  with hdmi connections...   what once was a wires nest has nicely been cleaned up..

Building the new house I knew floor space was at a premium so planned on a satellite system. 60 years of ear abuse  show up on the aidiogram as some rediced sensitivity in mid amd high ranges.Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 5.1 system. The speakers sit on small shelves in front and atop kitchen cabinets in back.  The sound from the Denon AVR 2300W is very good according to brothers with big floor standing speakers.  This is wired woth niroed 12ga and is largely TV sound with the occasional music.  1579638133083368021059222399353.thumb.jpg.bd064b8fbbd5711fa74c80624d54dd36.jpg15796381991194803538268945849604.thumb.jpg.c8297152ed063bea43f628e87b853a83.jpg

I worked part time while in high school at a 'questionable' audio/video store in the 80's. While there were definitely some great systems to be had (and I really enjoyed building great systems for people) there was also a lot of hyped up crap. Some people knew what they were doing and purchased really good stuff, others got sold the stuff we could make our daily spiff on - not my type of work so after a very successful holiday season, I quit...I do miss being in the know though. But for now my Sonos system will have to suffice...

Not sure if you ever saw Ruthless people but the stereo store scene is priceless...

"And when you die, they can bury you in it!!!"

4 hours ago, fufkin said:

I might have mentioned this on another thread, but for anyone with some great old school gear that might be interested in going digital with something like Sonos/Bose wireless...Hold on a moment and take a look at the Bose Soundtouch router. It hooks up to the back of your analog receiver and gives your existing system digital capabilities all for under 200 bucks...and the sound...while maybe a step down from vinyl...is surprisingly good. Whatever they've done to lacquer the analog to digital conversion they've done a pretty good job. 

My set-up has upstairs/downstairs speakers wired to a single amp and the analog/digital Soundtouch, as an option apart from my Bang and Olufsen turntable, allows phone or I-pad playing from anywhere in the house on either bluetooth or wireless(the wireless bandwidth being noticeably better for sound.)

I know, sonically gauche to speak of a 200 buck digital gizmo on a million dollar stereo thread, but try it, you might get new life out of your old stereo, esp with a streaming account.

......and for the $ challanged comversion, $10-$30 will get you a Bluetooth reciever. Plug it into your old favorite reciever CD or Aux or Tape input and you can bluetooth pandora or utube or whatever theough your Advents , HPM100s etc. I have 1 from Blackweb  and 2 from Aluratek. 

On 1/15/2019 at 6:35 AM, bmiller said:

This is all I kept of my system purchased in 1978. Dad had to cosign a loan. Still have the original receipt.

IMG_5677-X3.jpgIMG_5679-X3.jpg

I  had some decent enough turntable. 4 eyerings in the ceiling suspended a 2x12 plank that held turntable isolated from the ramblings and such on the floor.

My brother, who installs this stuff, pointed out one time that by the time you can afford this kind of gear, you can't hear the difference anyway... Don't get me started on mickey mouse wiring, was up in the attic several years ago running the 6 separate 20 amp circuits for the kitchen outlets, (overkill, I know, but I had the space in the panel) when I came across a chunk of cut off old style romex just lying in between the joists. It ran towards the back wall of the house, I gave it a tug, but it was secured inside the wall, grabbed my dikes, and snipped it off short...POP,!!! damn thing was live, tied to the bathroom fan circuit, and had been lying there exposed for 20 years or more. When I got married, I had 'bachelor' speakers, they were huge, and almost the first thing the wife got rid of. I upgraded to a nice Monitor Audio tower set with a center channel, but it rarely gets used lately...

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Timo42 said:

. I upgraded to a nice Monitor Audio tower set with a center channel, but it rarely gets used lately...

Bluetooth it with this. Cheap,  easy.  Do not plug into your RCA Phono input. CD,TAPE,AUX  are good

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/aluratek-istream-universal-bluetooth-audio-receiver-black/6581843.p?skuId=6581843&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=1147&ref=212&loc=1&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1268706&gclid=Cj0KCQiApaXxBRDNARIsAGFdaB-MW0yVbh5JXsFEmgewbRx5gnqlJVrLdR0H0P9FJUY-fmx8WQmpciMaAmCqEALw_wcB

On 1/21/2020 at 7:34 PM, SloopJonB said:

I did the same thing as well.. I listened to many speakers and the Advents sounded as good as many that cost a lot more.  I had a Marantz receiver and a Garard Zero 100-C turntable.  I forget the power output on the Marantz but I blew the tweeters out on the Advents twice in short order.  After the 2nd time the shop where I bought them installed fuses because they didn't want to replace any more tweeters no charge for me, as they were still under warranty.

Image result for garrard zero 100   Related image

On 1/23/2020 at 12:46 AM, Timo42 said:

My brother, who installs this stuff, pointed out one time that by the time you can afford this kind of gear, you can't hear the difference anyway... Don't get me started on mickey mouse wiring, was up in the attic several years ago running the 6 separate 20 amp circuits for the kitchen outlets, (overkill, I know, but I had the space in the panel) when I came across a chunk of cut off old style romex just lying in between the joists. It ran towards the back wall of the house, I gave it a tug, but it was secured inside the wall, grabbed my dikes, and snipped it off short...POP,!!! damn thing was live, tied to the bathroom fan circuit, and had been lying there exposed for 20 years or more. When I got married, I had 'bachelor' speakers, they were huge, and almost the first thing the wife got rid of. I upgraded to a nice Monitor Audio tower set with a center channel, but it rarely gets used lately...

EXACTLY

I have a Fairly Bitchin Tuner/Amp born after 4KUHDTV and just before Bluetooth

Considered pulling the trigger on a unit that haz All the New Bells & Whistles to update my ManCaveTheater to go with New (ThanksGiving CostCo sale) Mega TV

I headed for the Specs & Same Watts per Chanel Same Dolby then I looked for frequency range (Thinking Speakers) and Then it Hit Me

VOLUME is my ONLY Friend at this point, Having lived a life in-front of Speaker walls at Concerts  (got to hang on stage - out of the way)

Still WORTH Living a Life of Rock&Roll AND Getting Old !!!!!

Don't have time to think about If I Wood Do It Again ............... As I'm Still Doing IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21 minutes ago, IStream said:

Most drivers blow because the amp has too little power, not too much. Once the amp starts clipping, driver failure can follow in short order.

Didn't know that.  Thanks.

Nowadays most of my recorded musical consumption is on YouTube with headphones. 

My hearing is so fucked up, sometimes I hear a classic rock song and think boy, that's a shitty cover of that song.  Then I realize it's the original and I can't hear a lot of the sounds that I remember so well.  I need hearing aids but I haven't got around to getting them.  And they won't help much with listening to music.  What's gone is gone.

Yeah, time does take its toll. I still hear pretty well but I've got some tinnitus in my left ear that's ever-present. I do still love the sound of my 35 year old Naim electronics and KEF mini monitors though. Even my kids are impressed when we play their music through the stereo. Then they go back to their rooms to listen to Spotify through their phone speakers.

On 1/21/2020 at 12:09 PM, fufkin said:

Will the Bose router play .flac files off a hard drive?  I've thought about them but have been worried about how much of a time sink it would take to get the Bose software working.  Is it easy, fiddly or PITA?

7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I did the same thing as well.. I listened to many speakers and the Advents sounded as good as many that cost a lot more.  I had a Marantz receiver and a Garard Zero 100-C turntable.  I forget the power output on the Marantz but I blew the tweeters out on the Advents twice in short order.  After the 2nd time the shop where I bought them installed fuses because they didn't want to replace any more tweeters no charge for me, as they were still under warranty.

Image result for garrard zero 100   Related image

My integrated amp was a Marantz 1060 - that looks like the receiver version of it. 30W per channel.

The Advents I had didn't have tweeters OR woofers as they are normally envisioned. Each box had two same size speakers - 8" or so IIRC.

That's why I was always surprised by how good they sounded.

6 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Didn't know that.  Thanks.

Nowadays most of my recorded musical consumption is on YouTube with headphones. 

My hearing is so fucked up, sometimes I hear a classic rock song and think boy, that's a shitty cover of that song.  Then I realize it's the original and I can't hear a lot of the sounds that I remember so well.  I need hearing aids but I haven't got around to getting them.  And they won't help much with listening to music.  What's gone is gone.

Aids only help with volume - when your frequency response drops near to triple digits you're just fucked.

Worst part is that it's a life sentence.

3 hours ago, FoolOnTheHill said:

Will the Bose router play .flac files off a hard drive?  I've thought about them but have been worried about how much of a time sink it would take to get the Bose software working.  Is it easy, fiddly or PITA?

Apparently its doable but I've not got around to playing off the hard drive and I've kind of migrated to streaming... I'll note that the Bose gives you Tune In Radio lite...unimited for free which is a great bonus. I'd also put the proviso that Bose streamiing wise goes with Sotify on wireless (best sound) but only on bluetooth with Apple. Apparently they couldn't come to an agreement on digital streaming fidelity/protocol. Nevertheless, Id still recommend the BoseSoundtouch. A bit of a no brainer.

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Aids only help with volume - when your frequency response drops near to triple digits you're just fucked.

Worst part is that it's a life sentence.

I can live with the hearing loss, straining to hear some talk with a lot of background noise, not hearing most birds sing, etc.  Many women's voices are right in the range where my hearing loss is the worst.   Sometimes, that's not a bad thing, like when my wife is nagging me about something.  But what drives me crazy is the tinnitus.  As the years have gone by it gets louder and not just one frequency.  I often have a veritable symphony of simultaneous low to high pitched and everywhere in between ringing in my ears.  Like a dog whistle orchestra.  When it's quiet around me, such as when I am going to bed, it's quite loud, but even with a lot of surrounding noise I still hear it.  As they say, 'Your never alone when you have tinnitus.'

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

My integrated amp was a Marantz 1060 - that looks like the receiver version of it. 30W per channel.

The Advents I had didn't have tweeters OR woofers as they are normally envisioned. Each box had two same size speakers - 8" or so IIRC.

That's why I was always surprised by how good they sounded.

My Advents had a woofer and a tweeter, no mid range speaker. 

This model.

Image result for advent stereo speakers 

6 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

My Advents had a woofer and a tweeter, no mid range speaker. 

This model.

Image result for advent stereo speakers 

My brothers had, and swore by, Advent speakers. I could not afford them until other priorities like house payments and inprovement projects made me choose. I never bought a CD player because obsolescence immediately  made a CD player old. Now I have outfitted my basement recroom bar with sound equipment from Craigslist :lol:

8 minutes ago, warbird said:

My brothers had, and swore by, Advent speakers. I could not afford them until other priorities like house payments and inprovement projects made me choose. I never bought a CD player because obsolescence immediately  made a CD player old. Now I have outfitted my basement recroom bar with sound equipment from Craigslist :lol:

I bought mine sometime in 1976-'77 and I think they were about $120.00 each although I could be wrong. 

On 1/8/2019 at 3:51 PM, Al Paca said:

I saw them a few times with this rig. 

I heard them a few times with that rig, what I was seeing was anyone's guess....

1 hour ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

I heard them a few times with that rig, what I was seeing was anyone's guess....

I heard that the only reason that the only reason the Grateful Dead ever got famous is because nobody could remember what they heard because they were so stoned so they just kept on going in the hope that they could remember something.  That's why there were so many bootleg albums.  No record distributor wanted to make albums, because they heard the music sober and said "No fucking way, this music sucks!" 

The only bands ever to become famous by playing one song, just playing it a little differently every time. Clever bastards!

23 hours ago, IStream said:

Most drivers blow because the amp has too little power, not too much. Once the amp starts clipping, driver failure can follow in short order.

well running a Nikko receiver with 45watts...   smaller advents, like pictured above,  bought in early 1970, foam surrounds gave up the ghost in mid 1990's..  except my tweeters look like the these 

506advent.1.jpg

they were replaced with a set of  acoustic research  10" two ways, which i still have as my main channels on my home theater system

2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I bought mine sometime in 1976-'77 and I think they were about $120.00 each although I could be wrong. 

In 76, 78 I  was a $377- $398/mon private or private first class reassembling a 65 mustang GT convertible wreck while living in tjw barracks. There was not a lot of need to buy stereo equipment then because it seems every 3 or 4 man room had some monster stereo or other. Later, I matched an amp and speakers at one of those stereo stores where you could push buttons and select this amp with 8 or 9 different speakers, then run 8 or 9 different amps through one set of speakers.  At my then budget I ended up with a 30 watt Nikko  and ESS speakers. The ESS were brilliant.  25 years in my old basement and the higher humidity wet out the boxes and last year they sounded wooden and muffled . The Nikko was still excellent but I gave it away. 

24 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

and all that doesn't make a difference once you get a decent sub=woofer..

:lol:. Didn t have subwoofers in the 70 and 80s. I did have a bitchin 1976 BMW 2002 for a couple years .

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

I heard that the only reason that the only reason the Grateful Dead ever got famous is because nobody could remember what they heard because they were so stoned so they just kept on going in the hope that they could remember something.  That's why there were so many bootleg albums.  No record distributor wanted to make albums, because they heard the music sober and said "No fucking way, this music sucks!" 

The only bands ever to become famous by playing one song, just playing it a little differently every time. Clever bastards!

That's essentially what Chuck Berry did too.

He did change the lyrics from song to song but...

5 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

In the early days and throughout their career they were known as a great live band who had difficulty getting their sound right in the studio. They are not alone in that regard, but eventually with the help of some great producers and engineers produced maybe a dozen and a half decent to very good and a couple of great studio albums. But it was always the live albums that fans dug the most...some 200 albums cut, 35 million sold, and over 2300 live performances the vast majority sold out says that someone somewhere must've been digging the band. These numbers probably pale in comparison to both bootlegs and licensed merchandising, and most certainly overall live gross revenues.  There were so many bootlegs because from the early days the band not only allowed it but actively encouraged 'tapers' to tape concerts. At hundreds of concerts a year with hundreds of tapers, a brisk trade developed in first and second generation tapes and/or the coveted soundboard tapes. The band for decades has employed a full time archivist to go through the thousands and thousands of live tape hours which has resulted in an incredible collection of very high sound quality live shows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead

Here's a rather comical article of the early days of a rather famous Warner A&R guys struggle to get the band into the studio and get some kind of sound resembling their live shows.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/joe-smith-grateful-dead-921230/

Here is the famous Grateful Dead 'Wall of Sound', mentioned upthread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound_(Grateful_Dead)

Alas, it was Irving Berlin whose theory 'All that any composer has in him...is one song. Every song he writes after that is a variation on the original'1 who inspired the great Charlie Chaplin with his musical compositions...so I guess this band of merry misfits whose 'music sucked' must've been in good company...'

1source: Jim Lochner, 'The Music of Charlie Chaplin'

Here's an interview with some of those involved with 'The Wall of Sound', some of them are still here, some of them are sober, and some of them even remember.

No, Chuck.

Sweet Little 16, Johnny B Good, Run Rudolph, Reelin & Rockin - all the same song, just tweaked a little and the lyrics changed.

I always figured he was overrated - if he hadn't been around at the start he never would have made it anywhere near as bigly.

10 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

No, Chuck.

Sweet Little 16, Johnny B Good, Run Rudolph, Reelin & Rockin - all the same song, just tweaked a little and the lyrics changed.

I always figured he was overrated - if he hadn't been around at the start he never would have made it anywhere near as bigly.

he was the start...

14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

No, Chuck.

When I think of Chuck Berry the first thing I think of is the 'two string' sound that if he didn't invent he certainly popularized the world over. Legions of guitarists owe him for a certain sound that finds its way into a whole lotta rock n roll all over the place.

Here's a jam with E.C. and Keith Richards from Hail Hail Rock and Roll. That 'two string' twang that you hear throughout his catalogue is on ample display here.

On January 25, 2020 at 10:29 AM, Ed Lada said:

You're  an ass. It is well documented that the Dead played in concert over 500 songs. 300 + of theirs and almost 200 covers. But what the fuck do you know, as your fat ass is stuck in Poland listening to polka music and pan flutes. 

Haley’s recording career began in 1951 with a cover version of Jackie Brenston’s “Rocket 88.” He also experimented with his band’s name, changing it several times from The Four Aces of Western Swing to The Saddlemen, and finally to Bill Haley and His Comets. In 1954 he signed with Decca Records and released the massively popular “Rock Around the Clock,” as well as “Shake, Rattle, and Roll,” a sanitized cover of Joe Turner’s earlier R&B hit. “Rock Around the Clock” and Blackboard Jungle changed the face of American pop music. Rock music had never before been used as the soundtrack to a movie, and the film showcased rock as an emblem of teen rebellion. Haley followed up with hits like “See You Later Alligator” (1955) as well as a cover of Little Richard’s “Rip It Up” (1958), and he appeared in look-alike rock movies Rock Around the Clock and Don’t Knock the Rock.

3 hours ago, Al Paca said:

You're  an ass. It is well documented that the Dead played in concert over 500 songs. 300 + of theirs and almost 200 covers. But what the fuck do you know, as your fat ass is stuck in Poland listening to polka music and pan flutes. 

Of course I'm an ass.  Nothing new about that.  And my ass isn't fat at all, maybe you are projecting.  But don't worry, I still like you.

Actually the Czechs invented the polka.  In the US, everybody associates polka music with Polish people.  I went to a lot of Polish weddings and there was always polka music.  One of my uncles had a polka band.  However here in Poland it is about dancing to mazurkas and the polonaise.  I don't think I have heard a single polka in the over 11 years I've lived here.  I am not sure how the polka became the Polish dance in the US, it doesn't happen here.  If you want to polka you have to go to the Czech republic.  I don't know what you are talking about with the pan flute thing.

And the Dead sucks, sorry.  Get over it!

On 1/14/2019 at 1:33 AM, P_Wop said:

Vinyl is a different issue.  Rather than being limited by a digitally-mandated sampling and a low frequency and high frequency roll-off, a good vinyl disc will carry a much fuller frequency range.  Both bottom, below 40Hz and top, above 20kHz. 

The first rule of mastering for vinyl is to keep the bass down and mono. Otherwise, the needle goes flying.

At the high end, dust and inertia are likely the factors limiting the high end.

Both of my handheld, < $300 digital audio recorders can do 24 bits at 96khz. 24 bits is nice for recording because you end up with a ton of headroom, which you need because digital clipping sucks, and no one wants to lug an analog compressor around unless they are recording vocals. 96KHz is mostly a waste of disk space. If you are doing things with frequency modulation synthesis (think yamaha DX7, Which has been making a big comeback in the last decade), the extra resolution can help avoid aliasing.

Vinyl is probably good because of the artistic limitations it forces on producer and mastering engineer. You can construct audio that will harm a turntable (easiest would be a simple 4 4 kick pattern with heavy compression and alternating L/R hard panning. Don’t play that record with a needle you care about!), not so with digital unless you manage to ingest your host computer with malware.

One of the good things about vinyl is that there just isn’t enough bandwidth to compress everything to max volume like you can with an MP3 or CD. Vinyl forces traditional mastering techniques, and if that’s what you are used to you will probably prefer it.

One of these days, I’ll bring the audio recorders sailing. Should make for some unusual Ambient.

4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Of course I'm an ass.  Nothing new about that.  And my ass isn't fat at all, maybe you are projecting.  But don't worry, I still like you.

Actually the Czechs invented the polka.  In the US, everybody associates polka music with Polish people.  I went to a lot of Polish weddings and there was always polka music.  One of my uncles had a polka band.  However here in Poland it is about dancing to mazurkas and the polonaise.  I don't think I have heard a single polka in the over 11 years I've lived here.  I am not sure how the polka became the Polish dance in the US, it doesn't happen here.  If you want to polka you have to go to the Czech republic.  I don't know what you are talking about with the pan flute thing.

And the Dead sucks, sorry.  Get over it!

Ed talks out of his ass so much it is probably in good shape The only thing he really knows about.  When you call him out on something  (such as G.D facts) he will always deflect and misdirect and provide a non answer. Whether its amateur psycho analysis, or watch repair, or really anything.  Then employing his Jesus complex, he will always finish  with a self-cleansing 'I still like you'. Possibly it is behavior influenced by his early Catholic confessional experiences. Probably some bad shit happened there. He doesn't realize nobody gives a shit who or what  he likes.  If Ed sat at the 'Cheers' bar we all know what character he would be.  G.D. and some jam bands are not for everyone but there is universal and undeniable original quality in much of their music.  But we digress. Back to the point.. Ed is an ass   

6 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Ed talks out of his ass so much it is probably in good shape The only thing he really knows about.  When you call him out on something  (such as G.D facts) he will always deflect and misdirect and provide a non answer. Whether its amateur psycho analysis, or watch repair, or really anything.  Then employing his Jesus complex, he will always finish  with a self-cleansing 'I still like you'. Possibly it is behavior influenced by his early Catholic confessional experiences. Probably some bad shit happened there. He doesn't realize nobody gives a shit who or what  he likes.  If Ed sat at the 'Cheers' bar we all know what character he would be.  G.D. and some jam bands are not for everyone but there is universal and undeniable original quality in much of their music.  But we digress. Back to the point.. Ed is an ass   

My goodness Crisco, that was a lengthy way to agree with me.

It would be interesting to see how you behave around people you don't like that you actually know.

You might consider talking to a professional about your issues. 

Just a polite suggestion, of course.  No need to listen to an ass like me.

I still have my original stereo I bought in 1976.  I worked all summer, and spent every penny on it.

Marantz 2275, Klipsch KG4's, Technics turntable.  Sometime in the 80's I added a pair of JBL 4311 speakers. 

Over time I sold the Teac reel-to-reel, Nakamichi cassette deck, and various CD players.

I re-foamed all of the speakers last year and currently I use it mostly to stream Pandora, and occasionally pull out the vinyl. It still rocks...

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, lamorak said:

I still have my original stereo I bought in 1976.  I worked all summer, and spent every penny on it.

Marantz 2275, Klipsch KG4's, Technics turntable.  Sometime in the 80's I added a pair of JBL 4311 speakers. 

Over time I sold the Teac reel-to-reel, Nakamichi cassette deck, and various CD players.

I re-foamed all of the speakers last year and currently I use it mostly to stream Pandora, and occasionally pull out the vinyl. It still rocks...

My first (1978) was a Yamaha CR1040 receiver, Nakamichi 581 cassette deck, Denon turntable and Klipsch Cornwalls. That Yamaha was a sexy bitch. Sold it to buy B&K amp/pre amp. Only remaining original component is the turntable. 

I love my KG 4's I have had them for 30 years, redid the crossovers last year and they continue to sing.  And if you need them to they will flat out knock the plaster off the walls.

I still use my reel to reel all the time, the only thing new I have is a Music Hall TT and only because my 50 year old Miracord 50h met an inglorious end thanks to an indoor football game with my boys and their friends (not authorized).  Even the cabinets are old, they are mid 60's lane record cabinets matching but found about 2 years apart on craigslist.

The pioneer is an sx750 upper mid range from around 78, its essentially the same as the flagship 1250 with less wattage.  With the KG4's you do not need power, sensitivity is 94db at 1 watt.  

this rig can play motor head or Bill Evans or Vivaldi's 4 season and excel at it , it will do what ever you ask it to do.  That's my doggie Olive listening to Metallica's Kill em all! (first press too) 

current_system.jpg

Edited by Caferacer59

Nice. I've got aPioneer SX 850 at my shop for FM and CD,s.  At home I have a Pioneer SX 1080  for FM only. Separates for everything else incl VPI Scout turntable, Conrad Johnson PV-12 pre amp and a McCormack Power Drive DNA1and running Dynaudio 70 speakers.  

9 hours ago, lamorak said:

8 hours ago, bmiller said:

My first (1978) was a Yamaha CR1040 receiver, Nakamichi 581 cassette deck, Denon turntable and Klipsch Cornwalls. That Yamaha was a sexy bitch. Sold it to buy B&K amp/pre amp. Only remaining original component is the turntable. 

4 hours ago, Caferacer59 said:

I love my KG 4's I have had them for 30 years, redid the crossovers last year and they continue to sing.  And if you need them to they will flat out knock the plaster off the walls.

I still use my reel to reel all the time, the only thing new I have is a Music Hall TT and only because my 50 year old Miracord 50h met an inglorious end thanks to an indoor football game with my boys and their friends (not authorized).  Even the cabinets are old, they are mid 60's lane record cabinets matching but found about 2 years apart on craigslist.

The pioneer is an sx750 upper mid range from around 78, its essentially the same as the flagship 1250 with less wattage.  With the KG4's you do not need power, sensitivity is 94db at 1 watt.  

this rig can play motor head or Bill Evans or Vivaldi's 4 season and excel at it , it will do what ever you ask it to do.  That's my doggie Olive listening to Metallica's Kill em all! (first press too) 

current_system.jpg

17 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

Nice. I've got aPioneer SX 850 at my shop for FM and CD,s.  At home I have a Pioneer SX 1080  for FM only. Separates for everything else incl VPI Scout turntable, Conrad Johnson PV-12 pre amp and a McCormack Power Drive DNA1and running Dynaudio 70 speakers.  

We poured over specs back on the day.  Is new equipment better or worse spec wise. 

Denon AVR-X2300W https://g.co/kgs/b5yXpF

The biggie for amp sound quality is THD - that Denon is 0.08%, 20 to 20K

My 43 year old Marantz is 0.1%,  20 to 20K.

So, yes - the new one is marginally better, although the difference is undetectable by the human ear.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

The biggie for amp sound quality is THD - that Denon is 0.08%, 20 to 20K

My 43 year old Marantz is 0.1%,  20 to 20K.

So, yes - the new one is marginally better, although the difference is undetectable by the human ear.

I think maybe the Denon THD degrades at higher power levels , and our ears are older. :o The Denon was selected to power outdoor speakers with a seperate source, to seemlessly integrate cable video on 5.1 surround and automatically eqializee an irregular listening area. I have a similar but older Denon 786, Craigslist $50 buy, for my basement bar/recroom. It is sound for the 65 inch TV playing through some old  Fischer 15 woofer speakers in front  and JBL  8 inch driver boolshelf speakers in the rear. A $150 total cost system with decent sound. 

Edited by warbird
14 hours ago, warbird said:

I think maybe the Denon THD degrades at higher power levels , and our ears are older. :o The Denon was selected to power outdoor speakers with a seperate source, to seemlessly integrate cable video on 5.1 surround and automatically eqializee an irregular listening area. I have a similar but older Denon 786, Craigslist $50 buy, for my basement bar/recroom. It is sound for the 65 inch TV playing through some old  Fischer 15 woofer speakers in front  and JBL  8 inch driver boolshelf speakers in the rear. A $150 total cost system with decent sound. 

2 channel and surround sounds are completely different animals in my book (and i don;t know much about surround, I have a sound bar and a woofer connected to my tv and thats as far as i care to go with movies) - it rumbles and the choppers sound scary enough in apocolypse now.  in terms of THD, component matching is the key, properly driving the speaker with that first watt of power will get you far. 

Surround sound is good for movies etc. where you need an "outside" sound but it sucks for music.

Remember Quadraphonic? It sounded fake because it made it sound like you were in the middle of the band instead of them being "over there".

32 minutes ago, Caferacer59 said:

2 channel and surround sounds are completely different animals in my book (and i don;t know much about surround, I have a sound bar and a woofer connected to my tv and thats as far as i care to go with movies) - it rumbles and the choppers sound scary enough in apocolypse now.  in terms of THD, component matching is the key, properly driving the speaker with that first watt of power will get you far. 

Our TV viewing was almost always in the kitchen using the 1 channel TV speaker. TV speakers do a very poor job of sound except maybe for the 6 o'clock news. I don't watch news. I had a 2 channel set up in another room we rarely used. A stereo system in a third room, again rarely used and enjoyed. The new home has only one living area so I wanted quality sound for TV and music, and I don't have alot of room. If I was single I would have some 5 foot tall Warfdale monitors. As mentioned up thread, our ears degrade to some extent. My audiogram falls away at higher frequencies. What sounds good to me may be aweful to the next guy .  Then, there are a ton of options online today and a ton of "reviews". I went to a number of "stereo review" sites amd while many offer some good insight it becomes plain that they are connected and shilling for a manufacturer or distributor or retailer.

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Surround sound is good for movies etc. where you need an "outside" sound but it sucks for music.

Remember Quadraphonic? It sounded fake because it made it sound like you were in the middle of the band instead of them being "over there".

True that, a click of the remote and the system goes from surround to left/right stereo. 

40 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

lol,  those are some pretty stout bookshelves

I cut a hole in a back wall for wiring and literally screwed them to the wall. Yes,  that did close off the rear baseport. And, sorry, I just measuerd, frames are 8", the cones are 7+".

15804125904987609287243604815917.thumb.jpg.19868f8d88ca8c5a3f3dde8a6d985036.jpg15804128330136359413679248470262.thumb.jpg.cdae547254e9f5164ad151a1009135bd.jpg

40 minutes ago, warbird said:

I cut a hole in a back wall for wiring and literally screwed them to the wall. Yes,  that did close off the rear baseport. And, sorry, I just measuerd, frames are 8", the cones are 7+".

15804125904987609287243604815917.thumb.jpg.19868f8d88ca8c5a3f3dde8a6d985036.jpg15804128330136359413679248470262.thumb.jpg.cdae547254e9f5164ad151a1009135bd.jpg

i know you're limited on where you want them,  but speakers need space around them to be effective, they won't sound as near as nice..

50 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i know you're limited on where you want them,  but speakers need space around them to be effective, they won't sound as near as nice..

33 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

If they have to go in corners they should be mounted at 45 degrees, not flat.

Yes to both.  Cabinet access prevents the 45 degree mount , planned wall art, signs etc prevent a different location.  These 2 way rears are paired with floor standing front  3 way speakers with 15 inch woofers. 

15804184530633185964228823295177.thumb.jpg.5b35414a31afab63ce409713303dedb9.jpg

1 hour ago, warbird said:

. Yes,  that did close off the rear baseport. And, sorry, I just measuerd, frames are 8", the cones are 7+".

"I cut a hole in a back wall for wiring and literally screwed them to the wall" nice room, it doesn't look like a hillbilly lives there :P

Just now, chester said:

"I cut a hole in a back wall for wiring and literally screwed them to the wall" nice room, it doesn't look like a hillbilly lives there :P

There are storage rooms behind the walls. Brother  held the speaker, I went in behind the wall and drove 2 inch construction screws into the speaker back panel. I laid out 12 ga speaker wire before finishing the room so jook up was easy.  I would have liked smaller speakers to angle mount but these are what I found at the time. 

1 minute ago, warbird said:

There are storage rooms behind the walls. Brother  held the speaker, I went in behind the wall and drove 2 inch construction screws into the speaker back panel. I laid out 12 ga speaker wire before finishing the room so jook up was easy.  I would have liked smaller speakers to angle mount but these are what I found at the time. 

you're not helping!

1 minute ago, chester said:

thata boy!

You're  very kind. Experienced builders sail through the "ooops" moment without a second thought. Duffers like me agonize over how to hide mistake I made 3 weeks ago.  Hint: in a basement measure down from the floor joists, not up from a poured and not necessarily level floor:ph34r:

5 minutes ago, warbird said:

You're  very kind. Experienced builders sail through the "ooops" moment without a second thought. Duffers like me agonize over how to hide mistake I made 3 weeks ago.  Hint: in a basement measure down from the floor joists, not up from a poured and not necessarily level floor:ph34r:

oh hell, i'm so hillbilly i couldn't hide my mistakes methods if i tried!:D