Searched but couldn't find a thread, Hobart gets the banter rolling a year out why not the Fastnet 8 months out ;)

Entries opened and closed today, who's in?

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Smashed my phone screen when I was packing the container after my worlds on Saturday.  Far out!! Worst typo ever - like when Carrie Bickmore said Qantas incorrectly :p  Screen is fixed now -

Jacques Valer (the designer) is an impressive guy. It is also the victory of pencil over computer as he does a lot of his designing from first principles.   Sour grapes! The reality i

Charal tour, before the fastnet start :    

Posted Images

Interest in this race is down..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................by 13 seconds.

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 12.25.57 PM.png

43 minutes ago, spyderpig said:

Doing the AZAB this year. Why do the RORC insist in calling this coastal race an Offshore race?

Offshore I have no problem with (considering the Irish Sea leg is 75NM offfshore in the middle). Ocean is pushing it a bit. CYCA is also guilty of this - RSHYR doesn’t go into Bass Strait proper  

RKJ delights in calling the RORC the RCRC (where ‘C’ stands for coastal)

• Like 1
15 hours ago, spyderpig said:

Doing the AZAB this year. Why do the RORC insist in calling this coastal race an Offshore race?

Ask anyone who was there in 1979 if this is just a coastal race. Luckiest escape I ever had in all my sailing career.

• Like 1

When the first Fastnet Race was held in 1925, and the RORC was established the same year, there really weren't any offshore or ocean races except for Bermuda and an occasional Atlantic one.  So I think we're quite justified in hanging onto the established names.  

And anyone who thinks the bit from Lands End to the Rock and back is coastal is delusional.  Sorry RKJ.  It can be the Atlantic in full measure, as we saw in 1979 and a bit in 1985.  1957 was no picnic either, with only 12 finishers out of 41 starters.  And in 2007, 75% of the fleet retired.

It's the Northern Hemisphere equivalent of the Bass Strait when things get nasty.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 4:55 PM, Snowden said:

RKJ delights in calling the RORC the RCRC (where ‘C’ stands for coastal)

You're right, and he is a lesser man for so doing.

Rather than rubbishing RORC with such snide comments, he should get behind it and help out; however, he prefers to promote himself and his commercial activities (Clipper Ventures).

On 1/8/2019 at 6:29 AM, JL92S said:

I did the round Britain and Ireland last year

Good on you! 

On 1/9/2019 at 5:49 PM, P_Wop said:

When the first Fastnet Race was held in 1925, and the RORC was established the same year, there really weren't any offshore or ocean races except for Bermuda and an occasional Atlantic one.  So I think we're quite justified in hanging onto the established names.  

And anyone who thinks the bit from Lands End to the Rock and back is coastal is delusional.  Sorry RKJ.  It can be the Atlantic in full measure, as we saw in 1979 and a bit in 1985.  1957 was no picnic either, with only 12 finishers out of 41 starters.  And in 2007, 75% of the fleet retired.

It's the Northern Hemisphere equivalent of the Bass Strait when things get nasty.

Never quite sure why people hold RKJ up as high as they do. Highly overrated. 

• Like 1

I know a few boats (including us) who've been confirmed and are now shoring up qualification plans, its possible they've not made it down the entire list yet! They do give RORC members priority over everyone else.

2 years ago it was 300 + special guests (IMOCAs and MOD 70s) so they do keep some extra capacity for the rockstars outside the entry limit.

On 1/20/2019 at 8:58 PM, TheDragon said:

What's the rationale for limiting entries to 340? Safety and rescue concerns, or just traffic issues?

Initially it was a limitation on Tracker device availability - but that was quite some time ago when electronics were orders of magnitude more expensive. 

Now, I believe it is more to do with the Logistics of being able to berth all the boats on arrival at Plymouth. Not many of the entries would originate from there.

I am sure there will be other factors in play as well. Resticting numbers increases its exclusivity/desirability and that is not a bad thing for attracting and retaining sponsors. Besides when comparing other major serious races - 340 is not a small spectacle.

• 2 months later...

http://www.courseaularge.com/fastnet-race-29-imoca-inscrits-2-nouveaux-bateaux.html

29 IMOCA (3 in IRC) lining up for the Fastnet.  Includes two of the eight new boats, Charal and Arkea-Paprec which launches in June.

Some pretty good background in the article on which boat comes from where.

Translation by Google.

Fastnet Race. 29 Imoca registered and 2 new boats

April 11, 2019

MALIZIA_2-696x479.jpg Boris Herrmann, skipper of IMOCA MALIZIA II, training off Belle-Ile before the start of the Route du Rhum Destination Guadeloupe 2018, October 7, 2018, Photo: Jean-Marie LIOT - www.jmliot.com

It took barely 4 minutes to close the 300 registrations at Fastnet. The appointment promises to be exceptional with this year a massive fleet Imoca who will accumulated the miles for their training and for some, for their selection in the Vendée Globe.

The start will be given on Saturday, August 3rd. 29 Imoca will start from Cowes to participate in the biggest event of the Royal Ocean Racing Club and start this biennial race to Plymouth via the Fastnet Lighthouse - 26 will compete in IMOCA class, three in the IRC fleet. 
This will be the third biggest gathering in their history, after the Vendée Globe 2016-17 and 2008-09, and is due to the fact that the Rolex Fastnet Race qualifies for the next Vendée Globe. 
" It's not just about that, " said Antoine Mermod, president of the IMOCA class, " racing matters a lot and is important for French sailors, especially because of its history. His career is also very attractive."The IMOCA class is also under the international microscope after having been selected as one of the two supports of the next Ocean Race (ex-Volvo Ocean Race).

Eight new foilers should be at the start of the Vendée Globe next year. Two are currently registered for the Rolex Fastnet Race: Jérémie Beyou's Charal, launched last year, and Sébastien Simon's Arkea-Paprec, a brand new design by Juan Kouyoumdjian, which will be set to water in the month of June. Sébastien Simon, winner of last year's La Solitaire URGO Le Figaro, will sail with Vincent Riou, winner of the Vendée Globe in 2004-05, who also won the Rolex Fastnet Race in 2015 aboard the PRB. (PRB is also competing, but with his new skipper Kevin Escoffier, a member of the Dongfeng Racing crew who won the latest Volvo Ocean Race, alongside Jérémie Beyou).

Older boats equipped with foils include Bureau Vallée 2, formerly Banque Populaire, winner of the Vendée Globe 2016, now skippered by Louis Burton. German skipper Boris Herrmann is back with Malizia (formerly Edmond de Rothschild), with whom he finished third in the latest Rolex Fastnet Race. The former Italian navigator Mini Giancarlo Pedote will be at the helm of the former St Michel Virbac, previously led by Jean-Pierre Dick and Yann Eliès.

The British Sam Davies is back on Initiatives Heart after taking over from Tanguy de Lamotte, with which she finished in fourth place of the latest Rolex Fastnet Race. This time, Samantha Davies will sail with Paul Meilhat, winner of the Route du Rhum 2018 and the latest Rolex Fastnet Race. 
At 18 months of the Vendée Globe, many skippers have bought boats and take advantage of this season to refine their training.
After selling its IMOCA 60 winner of the Vendée Globe 2016 to Louis Burton, Banque Populaire is back in this category by taking over the former SMA, the original Macif François Gabart, winner of the Vendée Globe 2012-2013. For this new program, they have recruited Clarisse Crémer, 29, second in the series on the 2017 La Boulangère Mini-Transat. The main skipper of the team, Armel le Cleac'h, winner of the Vendée Globe 2016-17, will accompany Clarisse Cream on the Rolex Fastnet Race while waiting for the launch of its new Ultimate maxi-trimaran.
The other particularity of this impressive fleet of IMOCA on the Rolex Fastnet Race is in the number of women involved, with 7 of them, including three British. In addition to Sam Davies, former Mini 6.50 sailmaker Pip Hare acquired Superbigou, the boat on which Swiss skipper Bernard Stamm won the 2002-2003 Around Alone and Velux 5 Oceans 2006-2007. .

Miranda Merron is back in IMOCA 60 after a long time in Class40 with her new Campaign of France - the former Temenos / Great American IV. Commenting on the Rolex Fastnet Race, she says: " I have sailed many times around Fastnet Rock on RORC and other events, and it's still the same mythical place with this amazing lighthouse. It's always a pleasure to get around it. She participates with her partner and coach, the French legend of the offshore sailing Halvard Mabire. 
Other participating sailors are Ireland's Joan Mulloy on former Gamesa by Mike Golding, France's Alexia Barrier on 4myplanet and French-German skipper Isabelle Joschke on MACSF.
Bien qu’elle ne soit pas encore aussi diversifiée que la Class40 sur le plan international, dix pays différents sont représentés dans la classe IMOCA, dont deux scandinaves: le Norvégien Oliver Korte sur Galactic Viking (ex-Solidaire) dans la flotte IRC et le Finlandais Ari Huusela sur Ariel 2 (anciennement Avatar de Dee Caffari) / GAES).
Onze des 29 skippers partants du dernier Vendée Globe participeront à la Rolex Fastnet Race de cette année. Depuis, plusieurs skippers ont évolué : le skipper suisse Alan Roura (qui a amené le bateau de Pip Hare à la 12ème place) dispose maintenant de l’ancien Safran de Marc Guillemot, tandis que le skipper français Fabrice Amedeo, arrivé 11ème, a acquis le No Way Back de Pieter Heerema, un foiler de première génération, rebaptisé Newrest – Art & Fenêtres.

As a class, the IMOCA 60s date back to the early 1980s while sailing solo ocean events, such as the BOC Challenge or OSTAR. Their development accelerated during their use on the first Vendée Globe in 1989. A piece of history IMOCA participates in this edition of The Rolex Fastnet Race this year in the IRC fleet, with The Red Cigar by Jean-Marie Patier , the light and narrow yawl finalist of the second Vendée Globe at the hands of Jean-Luc van den Heede, winner of the recent Golden Globe.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hang on, aren't the IMOCA running shorthanded? but hang on again, this is a ocean race (well maybe partly). and some boats will be fully crewed (one assumes) so errrr. i dunno.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:56 PM, The Weatherman said:

What does "Not Categorised" mean?  That they haven't got an IRC certificate yet?  

Interesting to see that the VOR 65s generally rate higher than the Volvo 70s.  I'm surprised about that - have the Volvo 70s been "sanitised" to make them less dangerous?

Wizard was IRC optimised post VOR, I'd assume Green Dragon was, and Telefonica Black is a charter these days isn't it?

Likely the 65s haven't had much modification since the race were as the 70s have?

5 hours ago, JonRowe said:

Wizard was IRC optimised post VOR, I'd assume Green Dragon was, and Telefonica Black is a charter these days isn't it?

Likely the 65s haven't had much modification since the race were as the 70s have?

Just out off interest, do you know what the main modifications were for IRC optimisation? 

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/07/rolex-fastnet-race-imoca-depart-2019-inscrits-arkea-charal-banque-populaire.html#.XR3tIC_YphE

Lineup has shrunk a bit from earlier announcements.  Still we should see some new IMOCA.  HB still listed but is that really the case?

Google translation (not checked) below.

Oh sh*t, this is shorthanded.

21 IMOCA will start the Rolex Fastnet Race on August 3rd, the new Arkea Paprec from Seb Simon at the rendezvous

On Saturday, August 3 in Cowes (Isle of Wight), 21 duos in IMOCA will start the 48th Rolex Fastnet Race. Listed on the IMOCA Globe Series calendar (coefficient 2) and selective for the Vendée Globe 2020, this 608-mile route to Plymouth, via the Fastnet rock, will offer a good test for tandems for the Transat Jacques Vabre. An important appointment for the few IMOCA of the last generation that we will be able to discover and who will make their first navigation in the race. Banque Populaire, Arkéa Paprec, Charal, analysis of the forces involved.

21 IMOCA will start the Rolex Fastnet Race
Credit: C Borlenghi

One, two or three brand new IMOCA 

Competitors sailing aboard IMOCA just out of work will be highly anticipated. Sébastien Simon and Vincent Riou will be on board Arkea-Paprec (Kouyoumdjian plan).

If the timing of the launch allows, Charlie Dalin and Yann Eliès will also lead the new Apivia monohull (Verdier plan).

One could also admire Alex Thomson's new Hugo Boss (VPLP plan).

A high quality tray

Paul Meilhat will be among the big favorites, associated with Sam Davies. These two excellent sailors will leave on Initiatives-Heart, a well optimized IMOCA with its new powerful foils. Jeremie Beyou and Christopher Pratt, whose Charal now seems very reliable, but also Boris Herrmann (Malizia 2-Yacht Club of Monaco), currently 2nd in the Globes Series, will be watched.

Do not forget Yannick Bestaven and Roland Jourdain (Master CoQ), Kevin Escoffier and Nicolas Lunven (PRB), Isabelle Joschke and Morgan Lagravière (MACSF for the first time in foiler version), Louis Burton and Davy Beaudart (Bureau Vallée 2) , Alan Roura and Sebastien Audigane (La Fabrique), or Armel Le Cléac'h and Clarisse Crémer on Banque Populaire.

We will also see tandems that know each other very well like Fabrice Amedeo and Eric Péron (Newrest-Art & Windows), Damien Seguin and Yoann Richomme (Apicil Group) or Miranda Merron and Halvard Mabire (Campaign of France).

With a length of 608 miles, selective for the Vendée Globe, the course of the Rolex Fastnet Race is very technical. The competitors will leave Cowes, will transfer the Fastnet lighthouse and then "go back down" to Plymouth.

Rolex Fastnet Race - List of 21 registered IMOCA:

Ariel2 - Ari Huusela
Eyesea - Denis van Weynbergh & Lionel Renènier
Campaign of France - Miranda Merron & Halvard Mabire
Superbigou - Pip Hare
Time For Oceans - Stephane the
Setin Group - Manuel Cousin & Gildas Morvan
Pyrsmian - Giancarlo Pedote
Arkea Paprec - Sebastien Simon & Vincent Riou
Bureau Vallée 2 - Louis Burton & Davy Beaudart
Charal - Jeremie Beyou & Christopher Pratt
Hugo Boss - Alex Thomson
Initiatives Heart - Sam Davies & Paul Meilhat
The Fabrique - Alan Roura & Sébastien Audigane
MACSF - Isabelle Joschke & Morgan Lagravière
Master Rooster - Yannick Bestaven & Roland Jourdain
Malizia - Boris Herrmann
Newrest Art and Windows - Fabrice Amedeo & Eric Peron
PRB - Kevin Escoffier & Nicolas Lunven
Banque Populaire - Clarisse Creme & Armel Le Cleac'h
Group Apicil - Damien Seguin & Yoann Richomme
V And B - Maxime Sorel
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 11:14 AM, bigrpowr said:

Scally will get smashed.

Last time they raced against each other scallywag came out on top but it was a dead drift to the line that took them 5 hrs to cover 10nm....

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, bayboy said:

Last time they raced against each other scallywag came out on top but it was a dead drift to the line that took them 5 hrs to cover 10nm....

R88 just seems as though it's sailed very well, SW just has too many repeated issues to assume they can beat a solid platform even if its 12 feet smaller. maybe if it's really light and ass drag plays too much of a factor, but i doubt it. my money is on Rambler.

4 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

R88 just seems as though it's sailed very well, SW just has too many repeated issues to assume they can beat a solid platform even if its 12 feet smaller. maybe if it's really light and ass drag plays too much of a factor, but i doubt it. my money is on Rambler.

R88 is my fav big boat but like the big Indian needs fresh conditions so she will always have those odd results in light conditions...

5 minutes ago, bayboy said:

R88 is my fav big boat but like the big Indian needs fresh conditions so she will always have those odd results in light conditions...

totally agree.

Here the current Entry List https://www.rolexfastnetrace.com/downloads/2019_docs/2019_rolex_fastnet_race_entry_list_230719.pdf

Interesting to see that Ben Piggott is listed as owner of Scallywag.  Witt has never been reluctant to have his name in lights, I am just wondering if his time is up?

BTW - go the Contessa 32s - we want to see a close match race all the way!

4 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Does this look like Piet Vroon is sitting out his first Fastnet in over 50 years?  Say it ain't so.

Looks that way.  New boat name and new boat colours!

7 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Does this look like Piet Vroon is sitting out his first Fastnet in over 50 years?  Say it ain't so.

Who is this Piet Vroon, must be a pretty old geezer.

Oh, I see, is he the one hiking?

20645156_1433431953360403_6885891792503627448_o.thumb.jpg.a15f5f8779163697a8214333651e34ed.jpg

Rolex Fastnet 2017, Tonnerre 4, Sail No: NED 51, Class IRC Zero, Owner: Piet Vroon.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
On 7/27/2019 at 9:19 AM, Hitchhiker said:

Looks that way.  New boat name and new boat colours!

‘Tonnerre de Glen’ (the 46’) doesn’t have the same ring to it. Didn’t the 50’ become a Matthews Oystercatcher? Was listed on all the brokers for ages. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Snowden said:

‘Tonnerre de Glen’ (the 46’) doesn’t have the same ring to it. Didn’t the 50’ become a Matthews Oystercatcher? Was listed on all the brokers for ages. 

Ker 51 Tonnerre now Oystercatcher XXXIII.

pic cred DC Productions.

50280949-5C8B-457D-BB22-3C538D9A76EF.jpeg

0B4966AD-1378-413B-A148-C5DD33F98EAD.png

17 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Ker 51 Tonnerre now Oystercatcher XXXIII.

pic cred DC Productions.

50280949-5C8B-457D-BB22-3C538D9A76EF.jpeg

0B4966AD-1378-413B-A148-C5DD33F98EAD.png

Plot thickens because it looks like the bottom one has a kite that says ‘Varuna’ on it. But the current Varuna is a 56?

27 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

The 51 was sold. The 56 is a very fast boat. would love to see her in the Hobart. Forecast looks interesting for the Fastnet, can't wait

varuna is a weapon, just a wee bit warm on deck.

It would seem quite possible that if you are one of the smaller boats, that by the time you get to the Lizard one of those monster Ultimes comes charging down on you, with them only a little over an hour to go to the finish.

Would be somewhat disheartening...

1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

It would seem quite possible that if you are one of the smaller boats, that by the time you get to the Lizard one of those monster Ultimes comes charging down on you, with them only a little over an hour to go to the finish.

not to mention crowded and potentially very difficult for all concerned with so many boats all over the course.

1 hour ago, jb5 said:

not to mention crowded and potentially very difficult for all concerned with so many boats all over the course.

Leaving the solent getting out of the needles is usually the worst part.

53 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Seems typically French. " Now, we will expose ourselves, compare ourselves,"

Why can't they focus on the racing like everyone else? 

I'm not sure what you mean? The class doesn't have as many opportunities to compare with each other and there's a development race going on. What exactly do you take offense to what was said?

2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Not really - don't know about you but it is pretty exciting to be on a small relatively insignificant boat but share the course & see a boat you read and hear about pass by. Most people wave and cheer them on.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Miffy said:
1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

Seems typically French. " Now, we will expose ourselves, compare ourselves,"

Why can't they focus on the racing like everyone else? 

I'm not sure what you mean? The class doesn't have as many opportunities to compare with each other and there's a development race going on. What exactly do you take offense to what was said?

Double Entendre, apparently does not translate well into typing. 

2 hours ago, Miffy said:

Leaving the solent getting out of the needles is usually the worst part.

Not really - don't know about you but it is pretty exciting to be on a small relatively insignificant boat but share the course & see a boat you read and hear about pass by. Most people wave and cheer them on.

Best give you an upvote to get you off the score of the beast. 

2 hours ago, Essex said:

Wonder if dodging outgoing traffic will be much of an issue for the ultimes.

Apart from 10 other multihulls and 20 Imoca 60's at their start, not much after that because they have the first start.

On the other hand, for Scallywacky, Rambler, and all other 38 IRC Z Class yachts it's gone be tricky, as they have the last start. Basically all larger IRC boats are overtaking the smaller ones.

I believe they do this in order to give the smaller boats in IRC a bit more equal chance at the first big tidal gate at Portland Bill. After all they all compete for the same Fastnet Challenge Trophy.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Apart from 10 other multihulls and 20 Imoca 60's at their start, not much after that because they have the first start.

On the other hand, for Scallywacky, Rambler, and all other 38 IRC Z Class yachts it's gone be tricky, as they have the last start. Basically all larger IRC boats are overtaking the smaller ones.

I believe they do this in order to give the smaller boats in IRC a bit more equal chance at the first big tidal gate at Portland Bill. After all they all compete for the same Fastnet Challenge Trophy.

Let's hope Scallywacky doesn't take out a smaller boat getting out..!

58 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Let's hope Scallywacky doesn't take out a smaller boat getting out..!

Was thinking just that, but Witty must have learned something from Antigua, one would hope. He is a "character" though, so fingers crossed.

Getting safely past all the smaller boats is no easy task for even the very best skippers, but nevertheless surprisingly few accidents have happened in the past.

To get in the mood for the start in just a day and a bit, here the start  from 2 years ago (again...).

7 hours ago, Essex said:

By 'outgoing' I was thinking after they round the rock and head back home, the entire rest of fleet will be coming at them no ?

No, not so much really, as on the way back they have to round Bishop Rock (SW end of the Scilly Isl. and 25nm from Lands End). That will keep them somewhat apart, although near the Rock it can get tricky. But by then the bigger and faster boats will be amongst themselves, and they all have pro navigators and life insurance.

2019-rfr-course-map.thumb.jpg.3c72ce5bc0df5a1931f3c7425d5c0e66.jpg

Distances between notable points on the course (approx)

• Cowes – Needles 16 nm
  • Needles – Portland Bill 34 nm
  • Portland – Start Point 54 nm
  • Start Point – Lizard 60 nm
  • Lizard – Lands End 22 nm
  • Land's End – Fastnet 170 nm
  • Fastnet Rock – Scillies 150 nm
  • Scillies – Lizard 51 nm
  • Lizard - Finish 46 nm

Total = 605 nautical miles

Edited by Fiji Bitter
Added distances

Looks like a sizable parking lot just before Lizard Pt Saturday night. Multihull/IMOCA & Class 40 might just get past ahead of it but VO65 & IRC Z are going to have a fun time.

Looking at the weather for the rest of the weekend - don't think the conditions are going to be right for a JPK upset.

14 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Anyone care to tip which Imoca 60 is first boat home? 

If it's windy and foils can play a part then it should be Charal, if not BP (ex Macif/SMA).  This isn't really a race the would often suit foilers. Areas of light winds, currents all over. Straight boards on a fast boat (BP).  Most of the foilers seem to be treating this race as prep for the TJV and for VG quali miles. Charal have even said as much, full TJV prep.

4 hours ago, yl75 said:

Sam Davies about the Fastnet (and her boat) :

Hope Sam does really well. Still I think this is BPs to loose. 

18 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

S2H could learn a thing or two about presentation.

What, the tracker, video stream, race classes and different starting times resulting in more than just the big money teams coverage?

6582281-man-blocking-out-loud-noise-from