• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Give these guys a break.... Why is everyone so quick to hate? If you put your money down it is YOUR decision, believe in it, or don't.. Yes it can go either way, but everyone putting down the cas

OK, time to put some words into action. A drop of both Atlas FW and the two Connect apps is up and live for all users. Update your app from your store, and then download the 5.1 beta to your device an

Pretty frustrating.  At least I didn't drill any holes in the boat!   I wonder how they got this project funded.  Vakaros is pretty close to Theranos.  Just sayin'.

Posted Images

Those look like the same LCD and in both cases it looks much grainier than the nice clean digits advertised online. Gotta love truth in advertising. That aside it looks like the one on the right has some antireflective treatment that the one on the left doesn't. The left one also has a bunch of greasy fingerprints all over it.

Please don’t put any conclusions on either product for its readability based on these pictures. The Vakaros Atlas has a stunning readability on the boat in all weather conditions I know from experience and I have good confidence that the Sailmon MAX will eventually also have a good readable screen, this is just a prototype.

Well, having had direct experience with Sailmon displays and associated processors and technology, I have no doubt that this new product will deliver as advertised.  The Vakaros seems to have mixed(mostly negative) reviews to this point.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 10:42 PM, inhiding said:

Melges now selling Vakaros on their website. 

Bought one from Melges on Black Friday weekend.  Got it yesterday, 3 days.  From what I see, it is great.  Pitch/Heel/timer/compass/COG/DTL/SpeedOG- Avg, Actual, Max/GMT.  I had a Prostart on my last 3 boats.  The Prostart was okay, but we know it was slow, questionable in accuracy.  You could MAKE it work.  Hated batteries.  

This unit is the next step.  And yes, I want to see the additional widgets, downloads, etc.

Now I just have to look at it until Spring.  :(

12 hours ago, Spar Wars said:

Hated batteries.  

All of our beautiful 'USB charging' gadgets will become useless within 3-5 years or earlier, because the cheap Lithium Polymer batteries inside loose capacity.
I love devices with rechargeable AAA and AA batteries; easy to just replace the batteries after a few years.
Ideally they would put both standard batteries and a charging circuit in their devices.

OK...Almost two months since a customer email promised an update by the end of the week and still no update.  Seems to fit their pattern.  They're still advertising functionality that isn't available.  Seems like false advertising to me.

From their website:

Measure
Real-time GPS speed and responsive, accurate magnetic heading. Heel, pitch and leeway (NO). VMG to a mark or bearing (NO). All in a single instrument.

Race
Control the start with the most accurate distance and time to line. Track shifts (NO) intuitively and use VMG (NO) to find the optimum mode. Multi-day battery life lets you stay focused on racing.

Analyze (NO)
Review your performance and track improvement over time with sophisticated analytics tools (NO)

Customize (NO)
Configure the graphic display on the Atlas from your phone. Create new boat profiles and add wireless sensors to your Atlas to expand its capabilities.

NOT AVAILABLE:

image.thumb.png.4d9c5b96ce7f152896a5501a1aaba937.png

• Like 1
On 12/11/2019 at 1:07 PM, Clockwork said:

OK...Almost two months since a customer email promised an update by the end of the week and still no update.  Seems to fit their pattern.  They're still advertising functionality that isn't available.  Seems like false advertising to me.

From their website:

Measure
Real-time GPS speed and responsive, accurate magnetic heading. Heel, pitch and leeway (NO). VMG to a mark or bearing (NO). All in a single instrument.

Race
Control the start with the most accurate distance and time to line. Track shifts (NO) intuitively and use VMG (NO) to find the optimum mode. Multi-day battery life lets you stay focused on racing.

Analyze (NO)
Review your performance and track improvement over time with sophisticated analytics tools (NO)

Customize (NO)
Configure the graphic display on the Atlas from your phone. Create new boat profiles and add wireless sensors to your Atlas to expand its capabilities.

NOT AVAILABLE:

Download the Beta.  Then scratch off the above that is not missing now.  

On 12/11/2019 at 10:07 AM, Clockwork said:

From their website:

Measure

Race
Control the start with the most accurate distance and time to line. Track shifts (NO)(Maybe...Not intuitively)  intuitively and use VMG (NO) to find the optimum mode. Multi-day battery life lets you stay focused on racing.

Analyze (NO)

Customize (NO)

NOT AVAILABLE:

The only thing added was 'Shift Tracking'.  Haven't had a chance to sail with it.  Tried it in a large parking lot.  Not intuitive but might better on a boat.  No data logging, No starting graphic, No line bias...  There is now sound for the countdown timer.  Not very loud and still no way to adjust anything.  

NO:

image.thumb.png.69ba105d3718ce4bda097ce9f28fd37f.png

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Drfeelgood said:

I am just trying to figure out how the lighted display turns on for night racing..

It doesn’t.  Apparently it’s all in there from a hardware perspective but it will be enabled in a later firmware release (not the current beta as far as I can tell)

• 2 months later...

I bought one of these things at the Annapolis Boat Show in the Fall...…Still trying to figure out how to do two pretty simple things.  First, anyone know how to change the time?   Second, mine registers speed.....sometimes.   Is there a setting I'm missing?

I have sent the company a couple of e-mails through their site, but I have not received a response.  

Hell, I paid for one almost 2 years ago.  Finally got it 6 months later.

Nice unit, but several things have never worked. Probably never will.

I consider this product to be a complete failure.

Maybe Melges putting it on their website will help.

Here's a bit of an update….I had sent Vakaros a note through their website a day or two ago.   Todd Wilson sent me an e-mail back and we set up a time to talk this morning.   My questions were regarding setting the clock and getting the speed function to work.   Todd tells me that the ability to set the clock and to do several other actions will be available in an upcoming update "within the next two weeks."  I asked how sure he was about the time line, and I am going to figure that they might miss that date, but most likely not by much.   The issue I was having with the speed function was explained as the unit is meant to be used outside where it has better satellite selection capability.   Sure enough, taking it outside resulted in full speed functionality.

I get the impression that they are doing their best to make the unit bulletproof  and it is taking a lot longer than expected.    Todd does acknowledge that their communication is not where it needs to be.  Like a lot of new products the marketing got pretty far ahead of the product.   I think they will catch it up.

So it looks like this situation might be much better in the next few weeks.   Still have some time as the season here in Cleveland is pretty much on hold!

• Like 1

This is what they said was coming in October:

What's coming next for Vakaros Connect?

• Atlas screen layout customization
  • Live data display in the app, transmitted wirelessly from the Atlas
  • Automatic setting of the time zone on the Atlas
  • Upload of data from the Atlas
  • Analytics

Fingers crossed but not holding my breath.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My unit died on the way out to the course back on the first day of a regatta back at the beginning of March. No instruments for the entire regatta then, was pretty bummed out. Screen just went blank and unit will not power on. Was fully charged about 20 mins before that. Got busy and didn't email them until the end of the month, but so far not a peep from them. Was hoping to get it repaired before we started back racing but our club is back doing limited racing already, still a dead unit sitting here. 

In Vakoros' defense, the unit (when working of course) is pretty awesome. They mainly just need to work on some communication and switching to an under promise / over perform plan instead of the opposite. I still can't believe how good the battery is, how efficient the unit is, or both. I think in the year I had it I only charged the thing a couple times. I am disappointed the app isn't functional, as the customizable display was obviously a main feature. The unit is also not class legal for one of my boats as is, so that presents an issue. Of course when you're at the back of the fleet no one cares :) 

They replied to me today about sending a whole other unit out to replace the dead one, so hopefully that shows up soon and I can get back to using it. 

52 minutes ago, proaudio22 said:

They replied to me today about sending a whole other unit out to replace the dead one, so hopefully that shows up soon and I can get back to using it. 

All it took to get a response for a warranty claim on a $1,300 bit of kit was 2 months and one SA forum post. Nice! I’ll take one and charge me double!

On 5/20/2020 at 11:51 AM, Clockwork said:

Proaudio...Get the replacement unit as promised?  

Now Four weeks and still no Update as mentioned earlier.  

Nothing yet. I’m not sure of their shipping location now however. Their current emails say Seattle, WA for company address which would be a 5 day ground ship to me so if sent end of last week as indicated, that would be arrival today. I thought everything was in Atlanta previously which is a 1 day ship however. 

I got one of these last year and did not try it until today on my A-Class cat. Great day at 12-18 knots of breeze on Lake Pontchartrain with big chop. I was impressed with how easy the display was to read. I really only need speed and heading while training but it’s really frustrating I cannot have analytics at the end of a training session. That really makes the unit only 50% functional. At least Velocitek had downloadable analytics for both the Prostart and the Speed Puck from Day 1. C’mon Vakaros, we need that data and analytics download capability.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, AClass USA 230 said:

I got one of these last year and did not try it until today on my A-Class cat. Great day at 12-18 knots of breeze on Lake Pontchartrain with big chop. I was impressed with how easy the display was to read. I really only need speed and heading while training but it’s really frustrating I cannot have analytics at the end of a training session. That really makes the unit only 50% functional. At least Velocitek had downloadable analytics for both the Prostart and the Speed Puck from Day 1. C’mon Vakaros, we need that data and analytics download capability.

We still have downloadable data from the ProStart and SpeedPuck! You can download the data in various formats to work with the software of your choice: .vcc (Velocitek proprietary file format), .gpx (standard GPS file format), and .kml (Google Earth).

On the software front, you've got a few options too: GPS Action Replay (free or Pro), ChartedSails, SailNjord, etc. You can also drag and drop a .vcc file into a blank Excel sheet if you want to play with the data that way.

On 5/25/2020 at 9:45 AM, velocitek said:

We still have downloadable data from the ProStart and SpeedPuck! You can download the data in various formats to work with the software of your choice: .vcc (Velocitek proprietary file format), .gpx (standard GPS file format), and .kml (Google Earth).

On the software front, you've got a few options too: GPS Action Replay (free or Pro), ChartedSails, SailNjord, etc. You can also drag and drop a .vcc file into a blank Excel sheet if you want to play with the data that way.

So my Speed Puck (it died after about 7 years of service) got replaced by the Atlas so jury still out per my post above. I also got a new ProStart last year and it’s not really changed since the first one I got in 2011 with one glaring omission (or school me if I am wrong). We did a morning training session on Galveston Bay right after I got it and came in for a lunch break. We went to download the morning data and found that we could no longer download specific segments of a training session. It’s important to be able to isolate a section to really analyze it and the original Velocitek software (way back) gave you that flexibility. Why would you take away that capability OR what I am missing?

My Sailmon MAX arrived this morning, seamless setup pairing with my phone, did a quick software update and it's ready to rock. Was able to download my session via the app and the live stuff seems pretty cool already. Will have to see if it connects to my instruments as seamlessly when I get down the boat next!

Minor quibble that the included wireless charger seems a bit dodgy, might need to find its sweet spot but the Anker one on my desk works fine.

1 hour ago, AClass USA 230 said:

So my Speed Puck (it died after about 7 years of service) got replaced by the Atlas so jury still out per my post above. I also got a new ProStart last year and it’s not really changed since the first one I got in 2011 with one glaring omission (or school me if I am wrong). We did a morning training session on Galveston Bay right after I got it and came in for a lunch break. We went to download the morning data and found that we could no longer download specific segments of a training session. It’s important to be able to isolate a section to really analyze it and the original Velocitek software (way back) gave you that flexibility. Why would you take away that capability OR what I am missing?

You should be able to download each segment individually. To do this, select the desired track segment using the checkbox on the left and then click download.

Select one track segment at a time. If you select multiple track segments at once, the batch download will merge the segments into one file.

Here's a link to a tech talk on the Sail22 blog with both Velocitek and Vakaros in attendance.  Again Vakaros is promising a "big" update "soon" with new products to be announced "soon".

Velocitek working on a new product with a possible announcement in June.  If these guys come out with an all-in-one product there's a good chance it will debut with functionality as advertised.  They know their stuff.

• Like 2

Ok...Now 6 weeks have gone by since OP350 was told an update was 'Coming in the next 2 weeks".  And 2 weeks since saying the update was due "at the end of the week".

Pathological?

Proaudio22...Get the replacement unit?

Pretty frustrating.  At least I didn't drill any holes in the boat!  

I wonder how they got this project funded.  Vakaros is pretty close to Theranos.  Just sayin'.

• Like 2

Seems like a product released far too soon.  I would place my money on the sailmon max.  Those guys have a demonstrated ability to produce quality products as advertised.  Same with Velocitek.  This thread has laid bare the fact that Vakaros is simply unable to meet promise after promise.   Disappointing. 

On 6/2/2020 at 5:48 PM, Clockwork said:

Ok...Now 6 weeks have gone by since OP350 was told an update was 'Coming in the next 2 weeks".  And 2 weeks since saying the update was due "at the end of the week".

Pathological?

Proaudio22...Get the replacement unit?

Apologies - no work for months and we finally have some! I did get the replacement unit. Arrived that Friday as I thought it might, didn't get to pick it up until Sunday. Sailed with it Monday, seems to be fine so far. Now just waiting for software updates...

Hi, i bought a Vakaros Atlas last september and i had a lot of good exchanges with the society. I use it a lot and i'm really happy with the basic functions like speed and direction. But i felt a little bit deceived when i understood that the beautiful screens of their internet website where not the one we got on our screen, even in beta mode. Like these one :

530626264_AtlasLeft35Start.thumb.png.4de4d6789f6897370a32a2bc03664feb.png

913938047_DimensionRenders.thumb.png.7370a48a96441818f289926740233848.png

I spender a lot of money for this little device and i was expecting a lot more for the future. I hope they will not bankrupt and that we will not stay without new software.

Before, this device was so in advance, compare to the others, but now with the Sailmon Max it is not the case anymore...

I watched some footage of the Salmon Max on youtube and as far as i see the Vakaros is a lot sexier (lighter, full aluminium, well finished, etc). Come on, show us a good software update and we will have smile on our face ;-)

21 hours ago, airfly said:

Hi, i bought a Vakaros Atlas last september and i had a lot of good exchanges with the society. I use it a lot and i'm really happy with the basic functions like speed and direction. But i felt a little bit deceived when i understood that the beautiful screens of their internet website where not the one we got on our screen, even in beta mode. Like these one :

530626264_AtlasLeft35Start.thumb.png.4de4d6789f6897370a32a2bc03664feb.png

913938047_DimensionRenders.thumb.png.7370a48a96441818f289926740233848.png

I spender a lot of money for this little device and i was expecting a lot more for the future. I hope they will not bankrupt and that we will not stay without new software.

Before, this device was so in advance, compare to the others, but now with the Sailmon Max it is not the case anymore...

With a 320 x 240 pixel LCD do you think they can actually create those pages?

10 minutes ago, samsonite said:

With a 320 x 240 pixel LCD do you think they can actually create those pages?

Yes - that isn’t a problem, there is small, sharp text on various pages, it’s a good pixel count for the size of the screen and what they are trying to show. (Each pixel being .34mm square.    No problem for a page like that....  (maybe that curved line would be  a tiny bit more pixelated)

whether they get it done is another matter.

Just watched the Sailmon webinar.  My impression was that they were not going to be better than Vakaros as far as updates, features, and support.  So I'm still interested in Atlas.  They have chosen some design options different than you.  However I was not convinced that it was a better product or they were further along in their product cycle.   What were other people's impressions?

16 hours ago, sailhmb said:

Just watched the Sailmon webinar.  My impression was that they were not going to be better than Vakaros as far as updates, features, and support.  So I'm still interested in Atlas.  They have chosen some design options different than you.  However I was not convinced that it was a better product or they were further along in their product cycle.   What were other people's impressions?

Sailmon delivered their MAX hardware with only a slight delay due to Covid and the core functionality is there and works stable.
They respond to support emails and even calls.
They had a webinar and responded to all questions by the viewers immediately.
We are still waiting for the Android app, but I am very confident it will be released this month.
I would love to have more tactical information and GPX track (and data) export.

Compared to the rest of the 'industry' I would rate the Sailmon MAX product release top 5%.
Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois.

On 6/11/2020 at 9:07 AM, 5X-MOANA said:

We are still waiting for the Android app, but I am very confident it will be released this month.

The Sailmon App on my Android has now updated and all may MAX recordings of the last weeks magically showed up.
MAX functionality in the App seems to be working fine.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Ncik said:

So when are one of these guys going to buy RaceQs and give us track analysis.

As soon as one of these guys makes $$ with sailboat electronics:
Never, sadly.

7 hours ago, airfly said:

Yes, it's finally moving!

IMG_3461.thumb.png.30e9ff5ddf8115c6c2350dea59e055c9.png

Has anyone tried this new software, is the ability to download track available? I'd like to connect a paddlewheel & load cell on Bluetooth- does the live telemetry update support this? Has anyone seen release notes on how to connect external sensors? Tks... Newby anarchist 

54 minutes ago, maloner said:

Has anyone tried this new software, is the ability to download track available? I'd like to connect a paddlewheel & load cell on Bluetooth- does the live telemetry update support this? Has anyone seen release notes on how to connect external sensors? Tks... Newby anarchist 

I have updated to this new version and all works as noted. However, it’s more of an incremental update for future functionality. I don’t see much usefulness for the live function as of now except coach boat maybe. No track recording as of now. The plan as I know it for paddle wheels and other external inputs is a future module that powers the accessories and talks wirelessly to the main unit. I wouldn’t expect to see it anytime soon...

Can we not get the clock fixed? Super annoying that it only shows GMT or whatever. This is a GPS device after all and they have magnetic declination by location figured out - can we not at least attempt to auto select time zones? Or better yet add a selection to the app? 

Otherwise, the last two updates have added a good bit of functionality and tweaked it. The shift tracking is great. Will be nice when we can finally select our own screen layouts and options as promised. 

On 6/20/2020 at 12:37 AM, velocitek said:

If you're looking for track analysis, check out ChartedSailsGPS Action Replay (free or PRO), and SailNjord. All three are good options for track analysis.

Thanks for the links. I have used GPSAR Pro extensively, I will check out ChartedSails and SailNjord. The best part of RaceQs is the automatic upload (over 4G or wifi) and merging of every competitors tracks online. No more cables and emails which are a real time suck.

Last night, we powered up our Atlas for racing. We've used it for one race in the fall when it finally arrived, then for this, our first race of the year. On power up, the screen went crazy. I submitted a support request on the website after the race. Within an hour, Alex got back to me and promised a shipment of a replacement by the end of the week. Bummer it happened, but good support response. 

Note: I had a couple prostarts go bad and they took care of it very well. I'm a realist that low volume electronics have problems inherent with being low volume. 

12 hours ago, ScowLover said:

Last night, we powered up our Atlas for racing. We've used it for one race in the fall when it finally arrived, then for this, our first race of the year. On power up, the screen went crazy. I submitted a support request on the website after the race. Within an hour, Alex got back to me and promised a shipment of a replacement by the end of the week. Bummer it happened, but good support response. 

Note: I had a couple prostarts go bad and they took care of it very well. I'm a realist that low volume electronics have problems inherent with being low volume. 

Did it get wet? Prob same problem mine had. I got mine in the fall of last year also. They said production run issue that has been fixed. New one got fire hosed on my dinghy first time out and still kicking. 

On 6/24/2020 at 9:51 PM, proaudio22 said:

Did it get wet? Prob same problem mine had. I got mine in the fall of last year also. They said production run issue that has been fixed. New one got fire hosed on my dinghy first time out and still kicking. 

They suspect it got wet. I'm not sure about wet, but humidity was high. We used it in very light air once. It powered up fine this spring. I tried for sailing and it powered up with the screen crazy. 

2 hours ago, ScowLover said:

They suspect it got wet. I'm not sure about wet, but humidity was high. We used it in very light air once. It powered up fine this spring. I tried for sailing and it powered up with the screen crazy. 

High humidity killed one of these things? I’ll be sure to only use mine in a ziplock bag full of rice.

ScowLover - when you sailed with it on this fatefully humid day was it salt water or fresh?

On 6/26/2020 at 9:32 PM, samsonite said:

High humidity killed one of these things? I’ll be sure to only use mine in a ziplock bag full of rice.

ScowLover - when you sailed with it on this fatefully humid day was it salt water or fresh?

Honestly, I think the screen digitizer failed. Not anyone's fault. Maybe due to humidity and water, maybe not. It was fresh water and stuff happens. As I said, I had a couple prostarts go bad when they were new. It was a hardware failure. Like velocitek, vakaros stood behind their stuff. I think this is a story of customer service, not shoddy design. Something that is a $5 part in a $1400 unit died. They are going to have to eat a lot more than the $5 and did so quickly. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well...Two new instruments come to market, Sailmon Max and New Velocitek Prostart.  Both from proven companies and both delivering features as promised.  Where does this leave the Vakaros Atlas?  No where near the features they continue to advertise, No data logging, No screen customization, No wind or speed sensor connectivity,  No....  

Sounded good on paper.  

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, airfly said:

After a regatta by night, i must say that i would really appreciate a backlight on the Vakaros Atlas...

I'm not sure what I did to deserve it but I got to try a beta firmware with the backlight last weekend overnight on the Northern Century race in the PNW.    Loved it, it wasn't automatic which I guess will happen at some point but was easy to activate and control the brightness.    A vast improvement on taping a couple of red headlamps next to it like I had in the past ;)  

So it will be coming soon and I can confirm from a hardware perspective that it looks and works really well :) 

Wow! a lighted display finally. I really could of used that last weekend sailing down the West Coast in the dark with no moon.

I have signed up for all the beta updates. I am on 0.4.3-beta.

Is there a gimmick to get the light to work?

9 hours ago, Drfeelgood said:

Wow! a lighted display finally. I really could of used that last weekend sailing down the West Coast in the dark with no moon.

I have signed up for all the beta updates. I am on 0.4.3-beta.

Is there a gimmick to get the light to work?

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything...  I was talking to them a couple of weeks ago and hounded them about the backlight as I had an overnight race coming up and it was a significant reason I bought one.   They said they might have an alpha release to play with in time and did at the last minute.  They added a parallel dev track to my account to test it out, it wasn't released generally and for example it didn't have the new startline beta functionality.

Hopefully I haven't pissed anyone off by sharing,  its good news that things are still moving forward and the backlight itself worked well, was easy to see and easy on the eyes., Hopefully a live version will be released soon with all the new functionality together.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I post a question on their instagram account, they were available online (green dot), about the next software release and about the fact that sailmon max was taking the lead on the marketing side. I had no answer to my question... I'm questioning myself about getting a sailmon instrument, but losing 1300 dollars, it's hard to accept. Such a bad thing that we cannot even download our track to the phone. 

I choose this instrument because it was a small company, made in the us, looked nice, etc. But next time i will think twice.

Even after saying that (i feel better now ;-) i really hope that they will rise up and continue to produce and grow up. But it's hard to have only one product to sell, i think.

Regards

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2020 at 3:51 AM, airfly said:

I post a question on their instagram account, they were available online (green dot), about the next software release and about the fact that sailmon max was taking the lead on the marketing side. I had no answer to my question... I'm questioning myself about getting a sailmon instrument, but losing 1300 dollars, it's hard to accept. Such a bad thing that we cannot even download our track to the phone. 

I choose this instrument because it was a small company, made in the us, looked nice, etc. But next time i will think twice.

Even after saying that (i feel better now ;-) i really hope that they will rise up and continue to produce and grow up. But it's hard to have only one product to sell, i think.

Regards

What’s your experience been with the charging and logging? Saw something from US Sailing on new GPSs (atlas and Max):

Need to figure out what I should be asking Santa for!

• Like 1

I will say that the unit has performed flawlessly for us over the last two years.

It's the lack of updates and communication from the company that will spell the death of this great product.

Is it finally time we started posting on their social media, reviews of this unit? (ie no ability to download tracks, no back light, no analytics etc)