15 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Again my assumption here, but because it's not in a static magnetic environment, its constantly moved from boat to house etc?

Is this one of those situations where the boat and house are hundreds of miles apart?

If it’s a short drive, doesn’t that seem like an issue?

There are tons of compasses that go a few miles from where they’re stored to where they’re used without needing to be recalibrated.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Give these guys a break.... Why is everyone so quick to hate? If you put your money down it is YOUR decision, believe in it, or don't.. Yes it can go either way, but everyone putting down the cas

OK, time to put some words into action. A drop of both Atlas FW and the two Connect apps is up and live for all users. Update your app from your store, and then download the 5.1 beta to your device an

Pretty frustrating.  At least I didn't drill any holes in the boat!   I wonder how they got this project funded.  Vakaros is pretty close to Theranos.  Just sayin'.

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, samsonite said:

Is this one of those situations where the boat and house are hundreds of miles apart?

If it’s a short drive, doesn’t that seem like an issue?

There are tons of compasses that go a few miles from where they’re stored to where they’re used without needing to be recalibrated.

Or maybe they just accept the errors? I don't know the answer, your boats digital compass should be recalibrated each time you go to a new race area, most people just don't bother.

8 hours ago, JonRowe said:

Or maybe they just accept the errors? I don't know the answer, your boats digital compass should be recalibrated each time you go to a new race area, most people just don't bother.

I agree with you that traveling to a new venue (Annapolis to Newport) or something like that would warrant a compass calibration. But a drive across town should not.

From what you’ve said it sounds like the Max needs to be recalibrated after charging while traveling a short distance from home to your boat. Am I missing something?

9 hours ago, samsonite said:

I agree with you that traveling to a new venue (Annapolis to Newport) or something like that would warrant a compass calibration. But a drive across town should not.

From what you’ve said it sounds like the Max needs to be recalibrated after charging while traveling a short distance from home to your boat. Am I missing something?

It's not every time, and I'm also bad at remembering to do it :lol:

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread this one.  In a way I wish I had seen this before buying my Vakaros Atlas but I bought one used recently and didn't play the waiting game like many had to. That said, I went to pair it to the app on my phone and of course it said that it is paired with a different owner.  I reached out to Vakaros and Todd got back to me within an hour having cleared the Atlas and sure enough, I paired it right away and I'm all set.  With their new hire for a Sales and Marketing VP, hopefully the communication continues to improve and the developers can focus on developing instead of emailing customers now.  I'm pulling for them as it's so nice to have a product from the US, even if I'm the second owner.  

It's a nice instrument.  Does the basics well with a great display. 

Problem is it's not capable of doing the things they advertise like, Data Recording and Retrieval, Connection to Phone, Connection to Remote Sensors, Night Light, ...

They've been promising an update for months (years) to address some of these but ... nothing.

1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

It's a nice instrument.  Does the basics well with a great display. 

Problem is it's not capable of doing the things they advertise like, Data Recording and Retrieval, Connection to Phone, Connection to Remote Sensors, Night Light, ...

They've been promising an update for months (years) to address some of these but ... nothing.

I'm fine with the basics for now.  That's all I wanted.  I'll be happy when they do get around to the updates.  Now that they hired a Sales & Marketing guy, hopefully that burden shift will give them the focus that they need.

3 hours ago, inhiding said:

So is the VP like their 3rd employee?

I’m thinking it it still a couple of guys working out of their basement.

Can somebody tell me it ain’t so?

I think that is pretty much so.   Not sure they are working out of their basement. Maybe they are living out of their office/shop though ;) 

it’s all a bit odd, I’ve had awesome response and customer service but it appears to be luck of the draw/very sporadic.

like I’ve said to a few people, I love mine and I’m glad I have it, I can’t really recommend anyone else buy one if they care about a grand....

• Like 2
On 1/28/2021 at 6:48 PM, WCB said:

I'm fine with the basics for now.  That's all I wanted.  I'll be happy when they do get around to the updates.  Now that they hired a Sales & Marketing guy, hopefully that burden shift will give them the focus that they need.

I found a photo of you waiting for those updates:

Waited too long | Skeletons | Know Your Meme

• Like 2
On 1/28/2021 at 5:48 PM, WCB said:

Hey all, I'm obviously no stranger to these parts, but I am indeed the new guy at Vakaros, born to take the glory (and the arrows in the back) for all that happens from now on.

Regarding SW updates. I come from a long long of companies (Nokia, Magellan GPS, Rand-McNally, bla bla bla) who made an absolute habit of keeping their products vital & customers happy through SW updates. I can assure you, there is no way I would have joined if that was not going to be the case here from now on. So give me just a bit of time. I'm not in the habit of disappointing customers.

In the meantime, if you have comment or questions, lay them here, PM me, or via email at the site.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Hey all, I'm obviously no stranger to these parts, but I am indeed the new guy at Vakaros, born to take the glory (and the arrows in the back) for all that happens from now on.

Regarding SW updates. I come from a long long of companies (Nokia, Magellan GPS, Rand-McNally, bla bla bla) who made an absolute habit of keeping their products vital & customers happy through SW updates. I can assure you, there is no way I would have joined if that was not going to be the case here from now on. So give me just a bit of time. I'm not in the habit of disappointing customers.

In the meantime, if you have comment or questions, lay them here, PM me, or via email at the site.

Two simple  questions.

What's the timeline for the ability to download tracks?

When will the Red backlight feature be enabled?

Thanks

21 minutes ago, tt1963 said:

Two simple  questions.

What's the timeline for the ability to download tracks?

When will the Red backlight feature be enabled?

Thanks

I've been around SA long enough to know it's basically a no BS kinda place, which makes it hard for marketers trying to also protect commercial interests.

That being said, you deserve answers regarding features that have been promised.

Establishing a 'heartbeat' of regular SW drops (both app and device) is a very high priority for me. I don't want a month to go by without new SW. Our goal is to clear our feature backlog in the next 2 drops. Many of the backlog items are (frustratingly for all) already being done internally, but need to be exposed via the UI. We have just hired another mobile SW developer to speed this up, and I promise you'll see the result of that very soon.

11 minutes ago, velocitek said:

No need to wait! The ProStart has both of these features.

Fair dinkum on that. And you guys know me, and know I've got a lot of respect for your products.

But I'm not sure about starting a 'feature list' war with a device whose feature-set was basically frozen in 2010.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming!

• Downvote 1
2 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

...a device whose feature-set was basically frozen in 2010.

That is incorrect and you should know better.

In July 2020 we added a red/white backlight to the new ProStart. The new ProStart also has faster data logging. It logs pitch, roll, yaw, magnetic heading, COG, SOG, latitude and longitude at 4 Hz.

It's not about having features for the sake of features. It's about having the features sailors need, like a backlight and data logging.

3 minutes ago, velocitek said:

That is incorrect and you should know better.

In July 2020 we added a red/white backlight to the new ProStart. The new ProStart also has faster data logging. It logs pitch, roll, yaw, magnetic heading, COG, SOG, latitude and longitude at 4 Hz.

It's not about having features for the sake of features. It's about having the features sailors need, like a backlight and data logging.

I do know better. That's why I said basically.

I'm just not in the business of promoting your product in a thread about mine.

How about starting with the features listed on the Vakaros Website:

Functions:
Distance-to-line
Time-to-line
Countdown timer
Shift tracking
Leeway angle and velocity
Heel consistency
Stripchart view
VMG
Waypoints and navigation
Data Storage
256 MB integrated storage
100-500 hours (depending on logging rate)

Support for wireless Vakaros sensors

Adaptive red backlight

All display customization is done using the Vakaros Connect App (Android/iOS). Custom pages can be built from a library of widgets.

The Atlas can calculate VMG to a waypoint or bearing (e.g. a wind shot) that you specify.

The Atlas continuously logs performance data, which can be uploaded to the web based Vakaros Analytics platform using the Vakaros Connect app (Andorid/iOS).

Angle Menu — Shift tracking and reference angles
To set up shift tracking on the Atlas, press the ANGLE button to bring up the ANGLE Menu. There are two options for setting port and starboard reference angles, an automatic method and a manual method:

1. Automatic method

Start automatic reference angle capture by pressing the AUTO button on the ANGLE menu. The Atlas will walk you through sailing a short upwind leg, recording data while you sail and determining your reference angles automatically. Follow the on-screen prompts, and in about a minute, you’ll be all set to track shifts. In most conditions, this method will provide the best results, as it minimizes the impact of small oscillations and waves, while allowing the crew to sail the boat normally, without needing to interact with the Atlas once the process is started. 

2. Manual method

You can also set the Port and Starboard reference angles by pressing the corresponding PORT and STBD buttons on the ANGLE screen to record the current heading. Keep in mind that an instantaneous snapshot can introduce some error in the reference angles.

We recommend checking your reference angles before every race and resetting them if necessary. The ANGLE screen also shows some additional useful information, including an estimate of the wind direction (the midpoint between the Port and Starboard reference angle), the dead downwind angle, the tacking angle and average upwind speed. 

image-asset.png?format=1000w

???

I think a good cadence of (mostly) transparent information/news/press releases would go a long way too.

The long silences don't do much for confidence.

thx!

2 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

How about starting with the features listed on the Vakaros Website:

Functions:
Distance-to-line
Time-to-line
Countdown timer
Shift tracking
Leeway angle and velocity
Heel consistency
Stripchart view
VMG
Waypoints and navigation
Data Storage
256 MB integrated storage
100-500 hours (depending on logging rate)

Support for wireless Vakaros sensors

Adaptive red backlight

All display customization is done using the Vakaros Connect App (Android/iOS). Custom pages can be built from a library of widgets.

The Atlas can calculate VMG to a waypoint or bearing (e.g. a wind shot) that you specify.

The Atlas continuously logs performance data, which can be uploaded to the web based Vakaros Analytics platform using the Vakaros Connect app (Andorid/iOS).

Angle Menu — Shift tracking and reference angles
To set up shift tracking on the Atlas, press the ANGLE button to bring up the ANGLE Menu. There are two options for setting port and starboard reference angles, an automatic method and a manual method:

1. Automatic method

Start automatic reference angle capture by pressing the AUTO button on the ANGLE menu. The Atlas will walk you through sailing a short upwind leg, recording data while you sail and determining your reference angles automatically. Follow the on-screen prompts, and in about a minute, you’ll be all set to track shifts. In most conditions, this method will provide the best results, as it minimizes the impact of small oscillations and waves, while allowing the crew to sail the boat normally, without needing to interact with the Atlas once the process is started. 

2. Manual method

You can also set the Port and Starboard reference angles by pressing the corresponding PORT and STBD buttons on the ANGLE screen to record the current heading. Keep in mind that an instantaneous snapshot can introduce some error in the reference angles.

We recommend checking your reference angles before every race and resetting them if necessary. The ANGLE screen also shows some additional useful information, including an estimate of the wind direction (the midpoint between the Port and Starboard reference angle), the dead downwind angle, the tacking angle and average upwind speed. 

image-asset.png?format=1000w

???

You and I are working from the same list. Many of those are in the product now. Others not. And even more not on that list. Like I said, I would not be here if I could not make this happen. 

4 minutes ago, nige said:

I think a good cadence of (mostly) transparent information/news/press releases would go a long way too.

The long silences don't do much for confidence.

thx!

Agreed. You'll see that kick-off in ernest as we start to really deliver. I don't want to start talking the talk until we're walking the walk. But I've joined, and we just hired two brainiac SW engineers to the team. They are already producing.

13 minutes ago, Jackdaw said:

Agreed. You'll see that kick-off in ernest as we start to really deliver. I don't want to start talking the talk until we're walking the walk. But I've joined, and we just hired two brainiac SW engineers to the team. They are already producing.

1) Good advice to have given the company back when they launched the product with promises of things they can't deliver

2) Brainiac SW engineers are limited in what they can do by the hardware within the device

2 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

1) Good advice to have given the company back when they launched the product with promises of things they can't deliver

2) Brainiac SW engineers are limited in what they can do by the hardware within the device

Yep. Now is there something that I can help you with specifically? Because I will if I can.

Jackdaw,

As a Super Anarchist, I'm sure you knew what you were getting into by jumping in this thread.

Basically:

False Advertising that sucked us in to purchase (both availability and capabilities)

Poor launch with many missed shipping date promises. (rave reviews for the hardware when it finally arrived)

No where near the advertised features when shipped

Countless missed promises of software updates to address missing advertised capabilities

Very poor communication start to finish

I think a reasonable timeline of updates and meeting or exceeding the timeline would go a long way to bringing confidence to the company and device.

The upfront advertising of capabilities and the eventual ecosystem of sensors is what got me to part with $1,100.

Hopefully you can deliver.  Velocitek has a track record of delivering as promised and constant updates and support.  The Sailmon Max is another device constantly being updated and supported.  

The Atlas can be as good or better if it can do what was sold to us.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Jackdaw,

As a Super Anarchist, I'm sure you knew what you were getting into by jumping in this thread.

Basically:

False Advertising that sucked us in to purchase (both availability and capabilities)

Poor launch with many missed shipping date promises. (rave reviews for the hardware when it finally arrived)

No where near the advertised features when shipped

Countless missed promises of software updates to address missing advertised capabilities

Very poor communication start to finish

I think a reasonable timeline of updates and meeting or exceeding the timeline would go a long way to bringing confidence to the company and device.

The upfront advertising of capabilities and the eventual ecosystem of sensors is what got me to part with $1,100.

Hopefully you can deliver.  Velocitek has a track record of delivering as promised and constant updates and support.  The Sailmon Max is another device constantly being updated and supported.  

The Atlas can be as good or better if it can do what was sold to us.

Clock,

Thanks for the detailed and reasoned reply. And yes for sure I knew what I was walking into, and for that reason used my own SA identity (although many know me and it not hard to sus out who I am).

It's clear that while they Atlas is a fine piece of hardware and a capable device, we promised more than that. And that's the key. Owners didn't just buy the product, they bought the PROMISE. And we will deliver on that. And communicate better before, during and after that process.

In that spirit, here is some insight into what is going on. The vast majority of the promised capability (frustratingly) is already built into the core of the Atlas SW. The part that was underestimated was exposing those capabilities through a user-friendly and flexible UI on both the device and app. That required a level of sophistication that mandated a partial re-write of the code on both sides. We have recently hired 2 more SW engineers and the teams combined efforts have made it possible for  us to be very close to release the first drop. And more will follow.

The company made you a promise before i got here. Now I'll make this one to you. You are going to like your Atlas MUCH more at the end of this season than you do now. Much more.

Clay

I think a quick redo of the Atlas website to list the features that are currently accessible  and  list the features that are coming soon, would make this company a little more credible.

We use and love the Atlas and if the software FINALLY catches up,  it will make one incredible unit.

Appreciate Jackdaw's  comments, quick response to  emails and taking the arrows for the company's past transgressions.

Purchased Sept 2018

Received   June 2019

• Like 1

I had written off atlas as another failed device company.  However I will stay on the fence for a little longer.  Good luck to your tech boys. You have the opportunity to pull victory from the jaws of defeat.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, NYBOZO1 said:

Thank you for your efforts.

By the way, I have no idea who you are. It doesn't matter.

Simply......... get the job done.

Exactly my plan.

• Downvote 1
On 2/4/2019 at 11:43 PM, Vakaros said:

It's a 4.4" LCD, 320 x 240. All the tech specs for the Atlas can be found here: https://www.vakaros.com/atlas-tech-specs/

Display layout can be customized to match boat and preferences, with dense, information rich screens, graphical displays or simple layouts with big numbers. The Atlas supports digit size up to 40 mm height (two metrics, portrait), or one at 60 mm (in landscape).

Is landscape mode available?

I like how SailMon Max’s default is landscape but I’m not so sure about their charging.

How does the Atlas display compare with Max? Seems like they’re close in diagonal and pixels.

3 hours ago, samsonite said:

Is landscape mode available?

I like how SailMon Max’s default is landscape but I’m not so sure about their charging.

How does the Atlas display compare with Max? Seems like they’re close in diagonal and pixels.

They are very similar. We like the quality of our text (readability) better. Re landscape, that falls into the configurable  UI point I made earlier. We’re working hard on that. 

29 minutes ago, Robyn Banxx said:

What’s the timeline on all of the wireless Vakaros sensors that were promised like boatspeed and wind? 

Seems like it will be difficult to enable many of the features your developers are working on without them. 

I don’t want to overcommit to timelines, but you are correct, it’s very important to us (as we have stated) and it’s related to the configurable UI. 

They are very similar. We like the quality of our text (readability) better. Re landscape, that falls into the configurable  UI point I made earlier. We’re working hard on that. 

Could you do a side-by-side between the Vakaros and the MAX on a bench to point this out?

Thanks!

What do you mean by the quality/readability of your text?

8 minutes ago, samsonite said:

Thanks!

What do you mean by the quality/readability of your text?

We hand-tuned the individual characters (in particular the digits) to look as good as possible. The results are of course subjective. 

6 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

We hand-tuned the individual characters (in particular the digits) to look as good as possible. The results are of course subjective. 

You’ve been very careful to only talk about the font/characters/digits. Is that the only difference?

Same hardware, different pixels?

You’ve been very careful to only talk about the font/characters/digits. Is that the only difference?

Same hardware, different pixels?

I'm always very careful with what I say! 

Sorry a little slap happy this evening; Jodi and I drove straight through from Dallas to Minneapolis today. This after escaping an ice storm around Austin yesterday that confounded about a billion texan drivers.

To your question, there are other differences. We use an Anti-reflective coating (similar to what is found on the crystals of high-end watches) instead of an etching. The side by side comparisons are obvious. As to other differences, being that we were to market first, maybe that's a better question for the other side?

7 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

I'm always very careful with what I say! 

Sorry a little slap happy this evening; Jodi and I drove straight through from Dallas to Minneapolis today. This after escaping an ice storm around Austin yesterday that confounded about a billion texan drivers.

To your question, there are other differences. We use an Anti-reflective coating (similar to what is found on the crystals of high-end watches) instead of an etching. The side by side comparisons are obvious. As to other differences, being that we were to market first, maybe that's a better question for the other side?

Same LCD. Got it.

Different font. Different treatment on the glass. Your coating common on jewelry. Their etching is common on B&Gs.

It doesn’t really matter who was first since both are out now. I’m not trying to spend money two years ago!

Why is yours worth 30% more than Max?

• Like 1

Same LCD. Got it.

Different font. Different treatment on the glass. Your coating common on jewelry. Their etching is common on B&Gs.

It doesn’t really matter who was first since both are out now. I’m not trying to spend money two years ago!

Why is yours worth 30% more than Max?

The backlight was the ultimate decision for me.  (I think the pro start has this now but the max doesn’t)

I think i said that about the pro start...   the ask was compared to the Max and it was the reason I didn't buy a max...

My red sharpie is working out pretty well..    They figured out how to make the red LEDs turn on, just on a fringe branch firmware release.    Its is a perfect example of the frustration and the reason for some hope with fresh people.

I understand the negative comments but don't really care about beating new blood up on the company's past, if they get things in the right direction I'll be happy as its a great device.  If they don't, I'll buy something else....

IMG_7697.jpeg

8 hours ago, nige said:

I think i said that about the pro start...   the ask was compared to the Max and it was the reason I didn't buy a max...

My red sharpie is working out pretty well..    They figured out how to make the red LEDs turn on, just on a fringe branch firmware release.    Its is a perfect example of the frustration and the reason for some hope with fresh people.

I understand the negative comments but don't really care about beating new blood up on the company's past, if they get things in the right direction I'll be happy as its a great device.  If they don't, I'll buy something else....

IMG_7697.jpeg

Yikes! It has the blotchy and inconsistent backlight of a cheap watch from the early 80’s.

Either you’re due a warranty or this thing effectively has no backlight.

It kind of looks like the is a Swedish Fish squished in there!

The backlight was perfect on an overnight race in September, I hadn't used the backlight since.   I was planning to reaching out to them tomorrow about it though, which will give me some insight on how they are doing...

(I do have an affinity for swedish fish, maybe they were in my pocket together ;) ) 

12 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Prostart has a red backlight too, the Vakaros folks are trying to figure out how to make white LEDs shine red. Every customer gets shipped a red sharpie! 

63E580A2-3F26-4AD2-9036-67C483D6FE84.jpeg

Is that how the prostart backlight actually looks or an effect of the camera? (with low contrast between the background and the digits, the black looking pretty red too). 

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 6.54.18 AM.png

12 hours ago, nige said:

IMG_7697.jpeg

Ummm. something's not right here. Contact me via the support email on the site (or at my direct email (clay AT vakaros)) and we'll sort this.

Hey all, while I'm going to be a regular here reporting on our progress, keeping pace with every post, twist and turn would be a full time job. If you have a direct comment, question, or somethings that needs to be addressed, contact me directly or even better use the form at https://www.vakaros.com/contact

The form is integrated into our support system, and lets me share and track it internally.

Clay

4 minutes ago, nige said:

Is that how the prostart backlight actually looks or an effect of the camera? (with low contrast between the background and the digits, the black looking pretty red too). 

Hey Nige,

There are a couple things going on in that photo.

First, there are some weird effects from the iPhone camera. Smartphones do a great job picking up a lot of light in low light photography and this is no exception. Here's a video which was shot the same evening. The video is closer to reality but the contrast is better still in real life.

Second, the ProStart pictured here is a pre-production sample. Based on this and other testing we adjusted the backlight for the production models. This was a hardware change. No ProStarts were sold with this bright backlight.

Apologies for the thread drift.

Perhaps some grace for Jackdaw as he navigates the tons of work that needs to be done is in order. If you beat him up for the promises of others it just keeps him from making good promises of his own and delivering on them. 

For what it is worth, it seems very bad form to jump on a competitor's thread like has been done here. I understand the world has moved slowly away from ethical and respectful behaviour but we can do better than our politicians and their attack ads. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, danstanford said:

Perhaps some grace for Jackdaw as he navigates the tons of work that needs to be done is in order. If you beat him up for the promises of others it just keeps him from making good promises of his own and delivering on them. 

For what it is worth, it seems very bad form to jump on a competitor's thread like has been done here. I understand the world has moved slowly away from ethical and respectful behaviour but we can do better than our politicians and their attack ads. 

While I agree that Jackdaw deserves some grace to sort out the situation at Vakaros.

The thread was actually started by Clockwork to query on whether anyone had received their Atlas yet.  As Vakaros missed their original delivery targets  (anyone spot a familiar theme)

When several members were getting frustrated with the lack of promised updates form Vakaros  and Vakaros hadn't responded on here for over a year, Velocitek chimed in  to offer an alternative.  

So I have a boat with minimal space between the gooseneck and the vang tang at deck level. I bought the Vakaros hoping that it would fit in that space vertically, but alas it does not.

Can you tell us when landscape mode is coming?

1 hour ago, Robyn Banxx said:

So I have a boat with minimal space between the gooseneck and the vang tang at deck level. I bought the Vakaros hoping that it would fit in that space vertically, but alas it does not.

Can you tell us when landscape mode is coming?

Without getting too deep into the release specifics, I can tell you:

1) Its part of the UI work I spoke of in an earlier post

2) My #1 priority is to work through our SW and FW backlog

So stay tuned, and feel free to send me a direct email so I can keep you apprised of details.

• Like 1
On 2/10/2021 at 9:16 AM, Jackdaw said:

I've been around SA long enough to know it's basically a no BS kinda place, which makes it hard for marketers trying to also protect commercial interests.

That being said, you deserve answers regarding features that have been promised.

Establishing a 'heartbeat' of regular SW drops (both app and device) is a very high priority for me. I don't want a month to go by without new SW. Our goal is to clear our feature backlog in the next 2 drops. Many of the backlog items are (frustratingly for all) already being done internally, but need to be exposed via the UI. We have just hired another mobile SW developer to speed this up, and I promise you'll see the result of that very soon.

Well he mentions a month,  so we should see something March 10th.  however April 10th is more realistic timeline

1 hour ago, tt1963 said:

Well he mentions a month,  so we should see something March 10th.  however April 10th is more realistic timeline

MUCH MUCH MUCH sooner. Really. The release wheels are turning.

• Like 1

MUCH MUCH MUCH sooner. Really. The release wheels are turning.

MUCH MUCH MUCH sooner than March 10th? That’s less than three weeks away.

Guys - I think I know what the first release is! It’s a time machine to turn back the clock to January 21, 2019 to stop Clockwork from starting this thread!

OK, time to put some words into action. A drop of both Atlas FW and the two Connect apps is up and live for all users. Update your app from your store, and then download the 5.1 beta to your device and activate. What's in the release:

Vakaros Atlas Release Notes [stable]

v0.5.1 Atlas Firmware

NEW FUNCTIONALITY

Support for configuration profiles.

Added the following configuration options for each profile:
    Support for time zone offsets.
    24/12 hour time.
    Allow users to set an initial rotation offset to compensate for mounting orientation.
    Set default number of minutes in sequence.
    Enable/disable countdown sounds.
    Bow offset - offset the DTL by the distance from Atlas to the bow using true heading.
    Display true or magnetic heading.
    Heading (HDG) dampening slider.
    Speed over Ground (SOG) dampening slider.
    Course over Ground (COG) dampening slider.
    Heel dampening slider.
    Trim dampening slider.

Graphical Start Line is starting screen #2 by default.
Updated line setup page with graphic line overlay.
Updated angles screen.
Setting angles now estimates average upwind speed (used for TTL).
Added Time-To-Line (TTL) estimation on start screen #2
Sync button syncs to 1 minute when timer has less than 1 minute left.
Added 10Hz telemetry logging to internal flash (waiting on support from mobile app).
App LIVE screen acts as a repeater for key boat data.

CHANGED
Adjusted dampening defaults.

FIXED
Improvements to Bluetooth performance.
Improvements to internal timing performance.

This is just the beginning. Expect another drop in a month.

IMG_2598.JPG

IMG_2583.JPG

• Like 4

Huge props to Eric Doyle and Payson Infelise who CRUSHED the Star MidWinters, taking 6 bullets in 7 races. Asked about the Vakaros Atlas that informed their every call, they said 'WE LOVE IT'.

eric stars.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 8.16.44 AM.png

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, airfly said:

I'm really happy to have a new software release, thanks!

The clock has disappeared. I tried with the 3 different software but i still have no clock. Is that normal?

That can happen if there is either no GPS fix, or the device is not connected to the app. If it is still acting up after fixing these things, send me an email at support AT vakaros.com and I'll sort you out.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jackdaw ... nice update on 2/21 ... any chance an update comes out soon to address the glaring missing feature ... Track Logging

Still lots of other missing features listed on the 'Tech Spec' page but the logging would be a meaningful start on the list.

1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

Hi Jackdaw ... nice update on 2/21 ... any chance an update comes out soon to address the glaring missing feature ... Track Logging

Still lots of other missing features listed on the 'Tech Spec' page but the logging would be a meaningful start on the list.

This is:

Up next

Due in DAYS

Will be TOTALLY worth the wait. Really. Smooth. Seamless. Detailed. Wireless.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Clockwork said:

And Days turn into weeks? ... ... ...  Turn into? ... ... ...

Hey @Clockwork thx for keeping us on out toes here! The big logging release is still up and getting its finishing touches... but we did actually DID drop a SW version this month; a One Design-ready version that turns off line pinging. It was a HUGE hit at the Melges 15 regatta last week. 

If you want to send me your Altas SN I'll be sure to get the SW to you ASAP. Let me know!

m15 top speed.jpg

22 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Hey @Clockwork thx for keeping us on out toes here! The big logging release is still up and getting its finishing touches... but we did actually DID drop a SW version this month; a One Design-ready version that turns off line pinging. It was a HUGE hit at the Melges 15 regatta last week. 

If you want to send me your Altas SN I'll be sure to get the SW to you ASAP. Let me know!

m15 top speed.jpg

I didn’t check for any updates recently so I haven’t seen this one design update. Tell us more details - can we limit more items? Or it it just the pinging that it turns off? There are several classes that limit all the way down to just a compass at certain race levels. This was supposed to be possible but so far hasn’t been. I have a boat in a class like this where technically my Vakaros is illegal at the higher level events. Fortunately (or really unfortunately) I’ve been in the back half to where no one cares but would be nice to use my Vakaros still and legally. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, proaudio22 said:

I didn’t check for any updates recently so I haven’t seen this one design update. Tell us more details - can we limit more items? Or it it just the pinging that it turns off? There are several classes that limit all the way down to just a compass at certain race levels. This was supposed to be possible but so far hasn’t been. I have a boat in a class like this where technically my Vakaros is illegal at the higher level events. Fortunately (or really unfortunately) I’ve been in the back half to where no one cares but would be nice to use my Vakaros still and legally. 

Please send me a DM or email and lets chat. And ANYONE else that is interested in OD capability where functions are class limited. The first version just tuned off the the LINE function, be we can do more. And we can verify (after the fact or in teal-time) what mode the device(s) are in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 8:27 PM, Jackdaw said:

Been almost 2 months since the last update.  Update was great but added little to address the advertised capabilities of the instrument.  Most notably Track Logging.  But also VMG to mark or bearing, Custom configuration capabilities, wireless sensors, ... list goes on.  

Any more promises Jackdaw?

13 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Been almost 2 months since the last update.  Update was great but added little to address the advertised capabilities of the instrument.  Most notably Track Logging.  But also VMG to mark or bearing, Custom configuration capabilities, wireless sensors, ... list goes on.  

Any more promises Jackdaw?

While we did do an update last month, it was a small one; it allows OD racing in fleets that cannot use the 'line' feature. The Track Logging is in final testing, it's going to be great. We sadly had a family tragedy in our development group that slowed us down. But we're back at it 100%. You'll be able to review the tracks from your mobile device on the way in to the dock. USB cables? That's so 2010. Late but worth it.

D114ECEF-DF5D-42A4-8732-CD43D9A42A60.thumb.GIF.e0a3aee953cade1787f6c6d6d8a382dd.GIF

Nice, i can't wait for this update!

If you could add the night vision, it would be great. This summer we will take part in a 5 days regatta without stop and we would like a lot to see our Vakaros at night ;)

3 hours ago, airfly said:

Nice, i can't wait for this update!

If you could add the night vision, it would be great. This summer we will take part in a 5 days regatta without stop and we would like a lot to see our Vakaros at night ;)

PM sent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 9:01 PM, Jackdaw said:

PM sent.

Jack - when is this update coming? Sailing is kicking-off in Germany and it would be nice to get new features...

Thanks.