• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Give these guys a break.... Why is everyone so quick to hate? If you put your money down it is YOUR decision, believe in it, or don't.. Yes it can go either way, but everyone putting down the cas

OK, time to put some words into action. A drop of both Atlas FW and the two Connect apps is up and live for all users. Update your app from your store, and then download the 5.1 beta to your device an

Got mine in the mail on Monday.  Order number 234. Threw it on the Melges tonight for the first time, and man... I'm impressed.  Easy to read in the sunlight, I love the ping feature for the line

Posted Images

2 hours ago, tt1963 said:

Anyone get the update yet?

There are several beta testers that are using it right now that might chime in. The official non-beta version of the  app is going through the Apple approval process for the play store, which is  under their time schedule

• Like 1

Well the update is live on Android, and we expect the Apple App Store to finish the approval today. So here we go, Telemetry logging. You can read all about it and how it works at the link below, but here are some of the highlights:

1, 2, 5 or 10Hz sample rates

Logging SOG, COG, HDG (true), Roll (heel), Pitch (trim)

Totally automatic session management. If the device is on, its logging.

All sensor data + race details (start, marks) saved in the session logs

Wireless retrieval from the device, even while still logging. No USB cables. 'Cause that's so 2010

Graphical session viewer built into the app, showing track with speed/heading/trim/heel details

Direct export to 3rd party Analytics

https://www.vakaros.com/blog/2021/5/20/telemetry-logging-its-here

IMG_2970.PNG

1 hour ago, 2010USB said:

2010 called and they would like to  use the backlight function

Hey sock, Did I touch a nerve? If you really have a device issue, send me a PM. I’ll sort you out. 

Don't feel like reading through the whole thread, when can we expect to see sensors available and/or compatibility with NMEA wireless networks?

6 minutes ago, Just A Skosh said:

Don't feel like reading through the whole thread, when can we expect to see sensors available and/or compatibility with NMEA wireless networks?

Absolutely. We support Airmar BT (810 and 900) speed transducers now. Without giving too much away, we didn't build that BT radio in the Atlas for just connecting to the app. We're on a bit of a roll software wise. This summer is going to be fun in Atlas-land.

45 minutes ago, Jackdaw said:

Absolutely. We support Airmar BT (810 and 900) speed transducers now. Without giving too much away, we didn't build that BT radio in the Atlas for just connecting to the app. We're on a bit of a roll software wise. This summer is going to be fun in Atlas-land.

Awesome. How does the 810/900 connect to the Atlas? Does it need to go through a network transmitter widget, or is it straight from the transducer to your instrument? 

19 minutes ago, Just A Skosh said:

Awesome. How does the 810/900 connect to the Atlas? Does it need to go through a network transmitter widget, or is it straight from the transducer to your instrument? 

Directly. Future versions will allow a lot more flexibility, including going through a BT gateway. But right now this is the simplest and most expedient, and makes the most sense on small boats anyway!

Our compact binary file format is now supported by both ChartedSails and SailNjord analytics. Both also offer support for the embedded start-line and start-time data we add into the datastream. No more scraping around to find the start and draw the line!

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 7.18.22 AM.png

On 5/28/2021 at 3:47 PM, Clockwork said:

Great update Jackdaw! (Welcome to Y2K;)) ... But I'm still not giving up on getting what was sold to me:

image.thumb.png.846dbca0f917eb86e75db3ab7c6afc31.png

Fair enough. We’ve still got work to do. But overall:

The current feature set is very very solid  

We have many many very happy owners, from newbies to world champions  

We’ve developed a track record of delivering on what we say  

The best is yet to come  

On 5/31/2021 at 6:52 AM, tt1963 said:

Great update!

Thx. We know we've got a lot to do, but that's what we signed up for. Can't say too much here, but we've got some amazing stuff coming. Hang on!  

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, tt1963 said:

Any updates coming in June?   

Last update with the ability to download tracks was much appreciated!

Thanks. We’ve been super busy working on the next rev. It’s going to be tight for a June release, but we’ll be close. We’re testing now.  Very cool. Stand by!

On 6/23/2021 at 6:48 AM, tt1963 said:

Last update with the ability to download tracks was much appreciated!

A bit more on this.... Atlas users worldwide have been sharing tracks and videos with us, like this sweet J/70 rip...

https://youtu.be/8gf82RHoklI

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2021 at 4:33 AM, tt1963 said:

What's in the pipeline for July?

Good question.  Got a good flurry of catch up updates.  Still waiting for a few more 'As Advertised' updates.  Then maybe some true stand out from the crowd updates.  Also a compatible through the water speedo and or wind instrument.  Add that to the equation and we're up to the Sailmon Max capabilities.

On 7/16/2021 at 7:33 AM, tt1963 said:

What's in the pipeline for July?

More than you can imagine! To start, easily our most UI intensive release to date. The first phase of our totally custom UI masterplan. Set it up in the app, it manifests in the device.  I'm testing the RC now, GA just days away.

IMG_3474.PNG

• Like 2

Just got mine and am very impressed with the unit and initial functions like updates, charging, and battery life. Soon will get it on the boat and will feed back what I learn. 

Looks like something from Apple rather than a small manufacturer. 

• Like 1
On 7/26/2021 at 3:10 PM, danstanford said:

Just got mine and am very impressed with the unit and initial functions like updates, charging, and battery life. Soon will get it on the boat and will feed back what I learn. 

Hey Dan,

Happy you're lovin' your Atlas! It's no secret we like the way Apple works. So to the best we can, we emulate. Right now we're working as always on the next great thing(s), and also fixing a not-so-great bug we found in the Apple iOS version of the upcoming FW release. Good times!

On 7/26/2021 at 4:10 PM, danstanford said:

Had the opportunity to sail with my Atlas on Saturday and a Sailmon Max on Sunday,  I'll echo comments on the Atlas being very "Apple" like.   Looks much more substantial then the plastic of the Sailmon.   

Ease of operation would go to Atlas...seems very intuitive.   

Visibility is about the same.  

Let's hope the software side of Vakaros catches up to Sailmon

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.43691f70cf5a7839bc9cbb39977fa90b.png

Wait... What?? ... Atlas 2 ??

• Every single aspect of the Atlas 2 has been designed to be better, faster, smarter, easier, and more durable.

• It’s better than the Atlas 1. It’s better then everything else on the market.

$999.00

Are we done with the Atlas 1?  I paid more for my Atlas 1 and still not delivering what I paid for.  What does it promise?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, solosailor said:

And their website is asking for a password for any page.

The images CW posted was a from a leak, even Apple suffers from this! Atlas 2 announcement date was today; the site is live now. Go have a look!

3 hours ago, Clockwork said:

• Every single aspect of the Atlas 2 has been designed to be better, faster, smarter, easier, and more durable.

$999.00

Are we done with the Atlas 1?  I paid more for my Atlas 1 and still not delivering what I paid for.  What does it promise?

Better image for you. We're not done with the Atlas 1. Not by a long shot. We conditional compile the firmware from a common code-base, so versions for both devices are built at the same time. And there is plenty of memory and CPU available on the Atlas 1, so we'll be supporting it for the foreseeable future. The Atlas 2 simply has MUCH better sensors, and industry-first use of a L1+L5 GPS system in a racing compass.

Most pros I know believe that the Atlas 1 had the best compass and Distance-to-Line capability on the market, bar none. We've just taken that to the next level.

Atlas2 Head On.png

4 hours ago, Clockwork said:

$999.00

This time I have to agree with Clockwork.  Now I feel slighted.  @Jackdaw you haven't even finished the updates on the 1 and now we're out-moded?  This is lame.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, WCB said:

This time I have to agree with Clockwork.  Now I feel slighted.  @Jackdaw you haven't even finished the updates on the 1 and now we're out-moded?  This is lame.

No doubt it's tricky, I get that. But the key takeaway is that the Atlas 1 is still an amazing instrument, and we're going to continue to add capability to it. Pretty much every 6 weeks since I've been here there has been a SW drop. And one more is days away; a crazy bug in the dual-platform framework we use through us for a bit. But we got a workaround and it should be up in the next couple of days.

And there's more to come.

9 minutes ago, arr4ws said:

When can we expect the airmar support?

We've done the technical integration already, and several boats that are doing the J70 worlds this month are using it in beta mode. The next step is to integrate it fully into the UI. We're releasing the first version of the flexible UI now; the next version will contain widgets for water-speed via the Airmar sensors.

And yes this will be for both the Atlas 1 and the Atlas 2!

4 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Hum.. We've had a dozen orders already.. Is this the link you're at?

https://www.vakaros.com/atlas-2

Yes, and when I click buy it takes me back to the same page.  I just tested again with your link. 

I’ve tried this on an iPhone with the latest iOS with Firefox Focus and Safari. 

Your upgrade program check box doesn’t update the price to pay!

Will you have wind sensor for rotating mast plus a sync between two Vakaros? This was promised a long time ago…

And I find that you could have given a much better upgrade deal for v1 (200 is Peanuts)

13 hours ago, ulysses said:

"analog" or nmea0183 or nmea2000 ?

We'll support the Airmar 810 (NMEA2K+BT) via Bluetooth. And the 900.

2 hours ago, clarin said:

Your upgrade program check box doesn’t update the price to pay!

Will you have wind sensor for rotating mast plus a sync between two Vakaros? This was promised a long time ago…

And I find that you could have given a much better upgrade deal for v1 (200 is Peanuts)

Typical for upgrade programs, you get the upgrade discount applied (to your payment type) after you send in the old device. Logicialy, commercially and practically its the only way to do these things, and thats spelled out in the upgrade FAQ.

https://www.vakaros.com/upgrade

As for the amount, yes clearly it possible to get more for the device on the 2nd hand markets, and we expect many new owners will do that. We're offering the program as a way to get the end-of-the-day cost down, a convenience, and a little bit of marketing. If you look at the numbers commercially, it not hard to see that with the original discount plus fair market value for a used Atlas 1, there not much money left. 

12 hours ago, Alex W said:

Yes, and when I click buy it takes me back to the same page.  I just tested again with your link. 

I’ve tried this on an iPhone with the latest iOS with Firefox Focus and Safari. 

Thanks, We did find an issue with the link on some iOS set ups!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Typical for upgrade programs, you get the upgrade discount applied (to your payment type) after you send in the old device. Logicialy, commercially and practically its the only way to do these things, and thats spelled out in the upgrade FAQ.

https://www.vakaros.com/upgrade

As for the amount, yes clearly it possible to get more for the device on the 2nd hand markets, and we expect many new owners will do that. We're offering the program as a way to get the end-of-the-day cost down, a convenience, and a little bit of marketing. If you look at the numbers commercially, it not hard to see that with the original discount plus fair market value for a used Atlas 1, there not much money left. 

ok thanks

And

5 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Did you change the sample rate from the default (1 Hz) to something higher ...?

17 hours ago, ulysses said:

Did you change the sample rate from the default (1 Hz) to something higher ...?

The default on the current model is 5Hz, and that's what we use.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Jackdaw said:

The default on the current model is 5Hz, and that's what we use.

5hz processing or 5hz position output?
I would have thought you would be at least at 10hz output?

1 hour ago, Sailabout said:

5hz processing or 5hz position output?
I would have thought you would be at least at 10hz output?

The Atlas 2 GNSS subsystem reports at 25 Hz, an industry best.

The 5Hz reporting is the Airmar 810 BT waterspeed transducer.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

The Atlas 2 GNSS subsystem reports at 25 Hz, an industry best.

The 5Hz reporting is the Airmar 810 BT waterspeed transducer.

ok, great, sounds like an awesome but of gear

• Like 1
On 8/6/2021 at 6:09 PM, Jackdaw said:

No doubt it's tricky, I get that. But the key takeaway is that the Atlas 1 is still an amazing instrument, and we're going to continue to add capability to it. Pretty much every 6 weeks since I've been here there has been a SW drop. And one more is days away; a crazy bug in the dual-platform framework we use through us for a bit. But we got a workaround and it should be up in the next couple of days.

And there's more to come.

Glad to see Vakaros has a new product to launch, which hopefully bodes well for their future!

In the meantime send out the next software update,  already 5 weeks behind schedule

32 minutes ago, tt1963 said:

Glad to see Vakaros has a new product to launch, which hopefully bodes well for their future!

In the meantime send out the next software update,  already 5 weeks behind schedule

The upcoming release is easily our most complex to date; Part 1 of the flexible UI. The framework has to accommodate a vast combination of widget placement and styles. On the Atlas as well and on  Android and Apple phones. But we're got it done, and its heading to app store review. Stay tuned!

• Like 1

Do you think it will be available to update before Friday?  I have a distance race I would LOVE to be able have different data displaying on.   Just trying to set expectations on whether to get excited!

I’ve suggested the atlas to multiple teams I race with who are looking to upgrade or replace older damaged equipment.

two of them immediately cited the lack of wind instrument connectivity as a deal breaker, particularly getting apparent and TWS for sail changes or polars.

When do you think we would see more flexible and varied connectivity to devices besides the 810/900…?

particualrly wind instruments.

15 hours ago, Lionballs said:

wo of them immediately cited the lack of wind instrument connectivity as a deal breaker, particularly getting apparent and TWS for sail changes or polars.

this has been my main hesitancy as well. sailing upwind to get a mean wind direction harkens back to my first tacktick racemaster, but I have a decent wind instrument on the boat and I want to use it.

17 hours ago, Lionballs said:

I’ve suggested the atlas to multiple teams I race with who are looking to upgrade or replace older damaged equipment.

two of them immediately cited the lack of wind instrument connectivity as a deal breaker, particularly getting apparent and TWS for sail changes or polars.

When do you think we would see more flexible and varied connectivity to devices besides the 810/900…?

particualrly wind instruments.

2 hours ago, ryley said:

this has been my main hesitancy as well. sailing upwind to get a mean wind direction harkens back to my first tacktick racemaster, but I have a decent wind instrument on the boat and I want to use it.

After rightly being taken to task for overcommitting to features; we're much more careful/better about that now.

But we are committed to more sensor support, and wind in particular. It's coming.

But here's the thing. Wind is complex, and very easy to get wrong. So we're going to work on getting it right. Because this is true; nobody has EVER said about the Atlas, 'I don't trust their numbers.' Nobody. So we're going to get it right.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Jackdaw said:

After rightly being taken to task for overcommitting to features; we're much more careful/better about that now.

But we are committed to more sensor support, and wind in particular. It's coming.

But here's the thing. Wind is complex, and very easy to get wrong. So we're going to work on getting it right. Because this is true; nobody has EVER said about the Atlas, 'I don't trust their numbers.' Nobody. So we're going to get it right.

fair enough, and I get it - garbage in, garbage out. 

8 hours ago, ryley said:

fair enough, and I get it - garbage in, garbage out. 

That's a huge part of it for sure. Sensor stream. But we look at the bigger picture. Not just the data the sensor sends us, but what about its environment? How far up the mast is it? When a big knocking puff hits and presses you over, how does that mast swing factor into what is really going on, vs what the the sensor is saying? That's the level we're thinking about this.

We'll nail it.

Ok, so I bought the new one and stumbled on to this forum.  Everyone, calm down.  It is appropriately said that if you want to make a small fortune in the marine hardware business, start with a large one.  I say hats off to anyone who is actually doing it.  It is incredibly difficult, period.  Clearly, Vakaros is a small company (as shown by the fact that they actually respond to some of these comments, however rude, in real time) and they have managed to put out not one, but two versions of a pretty cool product.  Does it do everything everybody wants? No.  Should they try to do so? No.  I might also remind everyone that an H5000 Performance CPU unit - alone, is $5k, plus Masthead unit $1500-$4k, plus screens $1500-$4k a pop, plus Speedo -$1k, plus network and so on.  This unit is $1k.  IT will NOT substitute or compete with the above, nor should it.  In my view, KISS. Make sure it does what it does - all the time and is something you can count on.  Trying to be all things to all people spells doom.  Under promise, over deliver and hope you found a niche that is sufficiently large that selling to it pays the rent.  May the wind always be at your back.  Just sayin.

• Like 1
On 8/7/2021 at 7:16 AM, Jackdaw said:

How do you recommend to supply power to the Airmar 810 ...?

8 hours ago, ulysses said:

How do you recommend to supply power to the Airmar 810 ...?

Right. Normally the 810 gets power (9-16v accepted) from the NMEA2K network, but with 99% of sportboats not having that, the install requires some MacGyver skills. Best practice so far has been to have a small 12v battery secured in a waterbox, with a NMEA2k power tap led to NMEA tee that connects to the 810. You can save a few ounces (and a few bucks) if you just cut the connector off the transducer wire, but then you lose the ability to plug it in to anything.

Anyone that owned a RaceGeek (RIP) will be familiar with this drill.

13 hours ago, Frers 81 said:

Ok, so I bought the new one and stumbled on to this forum.  Everyone, calm down.  It is appropriately said that if you want to make a small fortune in the marine hardware business, start with a large one.  I say hats off to anyone who is actually doing it.  It is incredibly difficult, period.  Clearly, Vakaros is a small company (as shown by the fact that they actually respond to some of these comments, however rude, in real time) and they have managed to put out not one, but two versions of a pretty cool product.  Does it do everything everybody wants? No.  Should they try to do so? No.  I might also remind everyone that an H5000 Performance CPU unit - alone, is $5k, plus Masthead unit $1500-$4k, plus screens $1500-$4k a pop, plus Speedo -$1k, plus network and so on.  This unit is $1k.  IT will NOT substitute or compete with the above, nor should it.  In my view, KISS. Make sure it does what it does - all the time and is something you can count on.  Trying to be all things to all people spells doom.  Under promise, over deliver and hope you found a niche that is sufficiently large that selling to it pays the rent.  May the wind always be at your back.  Just sayin.

That’s all well and good, but asking for an idea of when wind speed will be added (a feature they did imply could/would be added) isn’t inappropriate. Sailmon max has it… which is the closest competitor.

that being said, I genuinely like vakaros’s product and after waiting in the wings over the last year I want to see them succeed as they’ve finally started to more vigorously (and transparently) deliver the updates they initially promised.

nmea and wind sensors are important. Full stop.

Other features I want which are extremely positive (game changers) are well… not as important.

here are two features that for me would be radically amazing and might allow me to get this instrument onto the various teams I’m on, but which I 100% understand vakaros has no reason to prioritize.

1: allow any Bluetooth remote to connect to the device, that way I can hit play pause for the gun, and use the skip buttons to page through the instrument data from anywhere in the boat.

2: Apple/smart Watch connectivity, that way a tactician can hike out hard in a manner where they can’t see the instrument - but can see the various data pages from the rail.

there’s nothing wrong with asking for features - or respectfully suggesting them in a product you like. Vakaros needs positive (and negative) constructive feedback to help them out compete their competitors before they catch up.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking and even prompting.  In fact, when I purchased it, I asked if it would be able to connect to a network as I wanted to feed its amazing GPS abilities into my system.  I was just struck by what I thought was an unnecessarily aggressive tone in some of the comments.  However as they say, more is better and we all want more.  That said, it is already pretty impressive.  I just encourage people to be supportive and less critical of those trying to make these small businesses work.  It is REALLY hard to make this stuff actually happen and people should appreciate that.  Enough said.

6 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Right. Normally the 810 gets power (9-16v accepted) from the NMEA2K network, but with 99% of sportboats not having that, the install requires some MacGyver skills. Best practice so far has been to have a small 12v battery secured in a waterbox, with a NMEA2k power tap led to NMEA tee that connects to the 810. You can save a few ounces (and a few bucks) if you just cut the connector off the transducer wire, but then you lose the ability to plug it in to anything.

Anyone that owned a RaceGeek (RIP) will be familiar with this drill.

OK ... FYI, I've been tinkering w/ 3 x 18650 batteries (eg : https://ebay.com/itm/124461683305 12.6V 3S DIY 18650 Lithium Battery PCB BMS 40A/80A Protection Board Holder ).

Coincidentally, this recent reddit post talks about a waterproof 4 x 18650 enclosure : https://tinyurl.com/9m6237z4 ( MinChen 8.4V Battery Pack Case for 2/4/6 x 18650 Rechargeable li-ion Battery Waterproof Safety Cycling Battery Pack Case Box Cover with DC and USB Interface for Bike Light Headlamp Cell Phone ) ...

On 7/22/2021 at 2:43 PM, Jackdaw said:

More than you can imagine! To start, easily our most UI intensive release to date. The first phase of our totally custom UI masterplan. Set it up in the app, it manifests in the device.  I'm testing the RC now, GA just days away.

IMG_3474.PNG

Umm ... Still 'days' away?  

Can we get an update to the update?

7 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Umm ... Still 'days' away?  

Can we get an update to the update?

Clock,

Perfect timing. Its in the App Store review process now. Out of our hands, but should be released within the next 24 hours.

• Like 1

Looks like the updated app released last night. (V1.4). I just updated it and connected but don’t see a firmware update to go with it? (I’m on 0.5.8-stable)

is there a firmware release happening after or am I being dumb?

the layout builder option shows but says it needs an update, but i don’t see a firmware update to go to?

15 minutes ago, nige said:

Looks like the updated app released last night. (V1.4). I just updated it and connected but don’t see a firmware update to go with it? (I’m on 0.5.8-stable)

is there a firmware release happening after or am I being dumb?

the layout builder option shows but says it needs an update, but i don’t see a firmware update to go to?

nige,

Yes you need FW 6.0.0 and that's on its way presently. Frustratingly there is a timing element to this all, and its just a tad bit off!

Any moment now!

Well the update is up, both apps ready in the stores. Have a go! The customizable UI will not only allow you to create display pages that match the exact needs of your racing program, in phase 2 it will allow you to add a wide range of BT-enabled sensors and transducers to your setup.

Written up here.

https://www.vakaros.com/blog/customizable-ui-its-here

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Well the update is up, both apps ready in the stores. Have a go! The customizable UI will not only allow you to create display pages that match the exact needs of your racing program, in phase 2 it will allow you to add a wide range of BT-enabled sensors and transducers to your setup.

Written up here.

Great Update!

Easy to use the customizable UI

22 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Written up here.

This is a great update, thanks!

I'd love to be able to add GPS coordinates and time(clock/time of day) as widgets.   Any chance they are in the works?    (I'm distance racing a 26' Tri, so a different use case than a dinghy)

2 hours ago, nige said:

This is a great update, thanks!

I'd love to be able to add GPS coordinates and time(clock/time of day) as widgets.   Any chance they are in the works?    (I'm distance racing a 26' Tri, so a different use case than a dinghy)

Absolutely. These are in what we call 'Group 1' widgets 

1 - Straight reported values; after any required cleansing of course (time) 

2 - Derived values, some math between two or more of #1 (leeway for instance)

3 - External Straight reported (depth)

4 - Derived from all sources (VMG)

We're working on lists from all 4!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

On the product page it says:

Need to measure depth? Speed-through-water? Wind? The Atlas 2 can wirelessly link with a range of sensors and combine their data with its powerful internal sensors and motion algorithms.

Then on the FAQ it says:

Support for 3rd party speed-through-water, depth, and load sensors is under development now and will be released Fall 2021. 

Seems misleading for the product page to mention wind if the product doesn't support wind sensors. Is the plan to support something like the Calypso Ultrasonic Portable via Bluetooth, or just wired wind sensors? Any time frame?

On 5/25/2021 at 10:13 AM, Jackdaw said:

Directly. Future versions will allow a lot more flexibility, including going through a BT gateway. But right now this is the simplest and most expedient, and makes the most sense on small boats anyway!

Is there a BT gateway you recommend ? In particular, one that can take pulses from a Signet Blue Top paddlewheel ?

I’m skeptical about the one feature that sounds magical: time and distance to line. Since I presume GPS isn’t used, this unit must use time and distance reckoning along with speed and compass heading. In any case, I expect it it is only as accurate as the calibration is accurate. 

11 minutes ago, Edward Trevelyan said:

I’m skeptical about the one feature that sounds magical: time and distance to line. Since I presume GPS isn’t used, this unit must use time and distance reckoning along with speed and compass heading. In any case, I expect it it is only as accurate as the calibration is accurate. 

What would make you think it doesn’t use GPS for time and distance to the line?  

Great questions!

On sensors for the Atlas 1 and Atlas 2
We design as much capability as we can into the hardware, allowing us to continue adding new features with regular software updates. The Atlas 1 is far more capable today than it was a year ago, and a year from now, we expect the Atlas 2 will be doing things that we haven’t even thought of yet, including many great ideas and requests that come directly from customers. Here’s an overview of where we are on development for sensors, and what’s coming next:

-Beta support for Airmar DST810 and DX900+ is available now on Atlas 1 for speed-through-water and depth. We have a number of customers using it already, including at the recent J/70 worlds. These sensors support Bluetooth natively, so it makes for a very clean installation--just provide them power, connect wirelessly with the Atlas and go sailing.
-The recent release of the Atlas UI builder for Vakaros Connect is a key milestone towards wider sensor support, allowing you to easily create custom display layouts. We see this feature as essential, so that you can set up your Atlas exactly the way you want, no matter what sensors you’re using.
-Beta support for the Calypso wind sensor is in development and expected soon.
-N2K integration using a wireless gateway is on the roadmap for next year. Look for more on this in a few months. We know how important this is on larger boats, and we're working hard to make sure we get it right. 

New software features will be rolling out at a faster rate moving forward, as we are building software for Atlas 1 and Atlas 2 on a solid foundation, with all the key supporting elements for sensor communication, display customization, processing, and data logging now in place. 

On time and distance to line:
The Atlas and Atlas 2 both have high accuracy, high update rate GNSS (simultaneous GPS, Galileo, GLONASS, Beidou) to determine position relative to the line. The main difference between the two is that Atlas 2 has GNSS capable of dual-band, L1+L5 reception that provides positions accurate to an unprecedented 50 cm, compared to about 2 m on Atlas 1.  Without question, the GNSS in Atlas 2 outperforms everything else out there, at pretty much any price point.

For time-to-line, the algorithm factors in speed, heading, bow offsets and more--it continues to grow more sophisticated as we gather more data and test on a wider variety of boats.

Keep the questions coming--what else do you want to know?

2 hours ago, Vakaros said:

Keep the questions coming--what else do you want to know?

the B&G WS320 wireless wind uses bluetooth to connect - where does that stand in your development list?

19 hours ago, Vakaros said:

- Beta support for the Calypso wind sensor is in development and expected soon.

Any idea if the initial release will just be numerical readouts for wind, or if there are plans to provide a richer "analog" windex-style readout similar to Raymarine i60 for quick glanceability?

18 hours ago, atnan said:

Any idea if the initial release will just be numerical readouts for wind, or if there are plans to provide a richer "analog" windex-style readout similar to Raymarine i60 for quick glanceability?

Great question! We are all about proving not just numbers, but usable and actionable information. Right now we're working with numbers because we're making sure that we're get that right (not as straightforward as it looks), as the UI team designs the production wind widgets.

On 8/28/2021 at 5:45 PM, Vakaros said:

-Beta support for Airmar DST810 and DX900+ is available now on Atlas 1 for speed-through-water and depth.

is that beta support going to be in the Atlas 2 on release? I have one on order and it would be trivial for me to move to an 810 if it's supported.

1 hour ago, ryley said:

is that beta support going to be in the Atlas 2 on release? I have one on order and it would be trivial for me to move to an 810 if it's supported.

Ryley,

It's in limited-user beta NOW. It will be fully supported in the initial Atlas 2 release.  Order away!

I've gotten some PMs wondering what we're going to do with the old units we get on the Atlas 2 trade-in program. The short answer that we're planning on donating them to worthy sailing programs. Interested in more details? Know a program that might qualify? Have a read.

https://www.vakaros.com/blog/a-second-life-for-trade-in-devices

On 9/4/2021 at 12:16 AM, clarin said:

Any plans for integrating a wind sensor on a rotating mats?

On the list. These devices typically also contain a compass. and as long as the Atlas 2 is fixed (to get a solid heading) you can zero out the effects of mast rotation by subtraction. The devil is always in the details however, so non-rotating first.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

Vakaros / Jackdaw:

Any updates on the Atlas 2?  Haven't seen a blog update or communication for over 3 weeks.  Hoping this isn't another Vakaros vaporware product.

My bad, really busy! Packaging, trade shows, global resellers, video production, and fun little bits like sorting out how to use the LEDs is every scenario. On that last point; we're going to create default behavior, and let the user change them via the Customizable UI screen.

Here's a taste of what's coming.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 7:46 PM, jackattack said:

Any update on when the Atlas A2 might start shipping?

Any update on expected October ship date?  Inquiring minds and paid order customers want to know.

• Like 1

I will finally say what I really think. As I am at the end of the manufacturer's warranty and do not plan to buy the Atlas 2 for 800 dollars in exchange for my Atlas 1.

I had confidence in this product, I bought it two years ago now, but today I regret because it never lived up to what had been promised ...

All the famous updates came well after the announced dates.

I had a lot of bug with my device. It stops and starts again in the middle of a regatta.

I can no longer download my tracks since August 8, 2021.

The backlight that I had in preview shows that my screen has a problem when I switch it on (red spot).

I had a lot of excellent discussions with the company with great promises, but which were not kept. The last email I received told me that my problem will be resolved within 24 hours, but it was dated September 7 and there has been no news.

It's a shame, because the product is really great, but frankly, I'm going to look elsewhere and invest in a product that I have more confidence in.

Sorry if this message breaks the mood for the Atlas 2 launch, but I think Atlas 1 buyers have a lot to be disappointed with.