Farrier for sale (I Think, maybe)

Saw someone at another site ask about this boat and also ask about POP Yachts which seems to be sorta shady (maybe).  I am just an average old white guy in Florida but the price seems to be good, and even if it needs new power (an outboard) and new sails it would still be a deal.  Anyone know about this boat.

2005 Farrier 10

7 hours ago, Tomfl said:

Saw someone at another site ask about this boat and also ask about POP Yachts which seems to be sorta shady (maybe).  I am just an average old white guy in Florida but the price seems to be good, and even if it needs new power (an outboard) and new sails it would still be a deal.  Anyone know about this boat.

2005 Farrier 10

Don't know the boat.  But do know POP Yachts.  I had no issue with them in my transaction.  Very professional in terms of the closing.  Good luck.

Sailboatdata.com shows a stub of a keel (https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/command-10).  The design weight is 5500# so I'm guessing around 6500# with gear.  Very underpowered rig and that trailer looks like some authentic hillbilly engineering.  Can it even be ramp launched?  It also appears to my eye that the beams with that trailer have a pretty good height so that may also be a factor.  Towing would be an adventure. 

Multihuler, you dodged a bullet.  

8 minutes ago, Mike in CT said:

I tried contacting that one as well even though I'm fairly confident its a scam ad. No response. Its also listed in Detroit. 

typically CL Ad + little info + no phone number + to good to be real price = scam 

Probably, there was a scam add one time for a Santa Cruz 27 a few years back. The usual I'm out of country boat is at a loading dock and I need a deposit before you can look at it type kind of thing.... I was pretty impressed though that they managed to pick a fairly obscure (to the general populace) item to try and scam people with though.

13 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Sailboatdata.com shows a stub of a keel (https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/command-10).  The design weight is 5500# so I'm guessing around 6500# with gear.  Very underpowered rig and that trailer looks like some authentic hillbilly engineering.  Can it even be ramp launched?  It also appears to my eye that the beams with that trailer have a pretty good height so that may also be a factor.  Towing would be an adventure. 

http://www.f-boat.com/pages/trimarans/TheCommand10.html

That Craigslist F-31 is most certainly a scam. If you look closely you  can see the doc number routed into a board  on the bunk/seat front just ahead of the companionway. The ad has new copy and far fewer photos than one that was running a few months ago. It struck me odd at the time that the copy went to great lengths about the stereo and electronic gear on the boat yet said almost nothing about the sails. I did a CG search for the DOC number and got a name and address and within 5 minutes was talking on the phone with the guy who really owned it and he was really embarrassed that his inattention in listing the boat via POP or some other legitimate web broker enabled the Craigs list scammer to use his photos and even a survey to set up the scam ad. He was well up toward 6 figures and the boat was pretty fairly priced I thought. He was a web/website type guy himself  and that just made it worse for him that he had gotten screwed over by the scammer. I played the scam seller along for a while and it was the usual thing where they won't tell you where the boat actually is at the moment and you can't just go and inspect it personally because it is already at a shipping company shrink wrapped/crated up for free shipping to your location as soon as your funds arrive. You have 7 days to inspect, sea trial or whatever and if you are not 100% satisfied you can refuse and get your money back because it in in some sort of 'escrow' account such as Ebay Motors, yeah right?

On 2/6/2019 at 7:15 AM, Cal20sailor said:

I had looked into this boat a bit. It does sound like there is another command 10 that had a more modern rig set up that Ian Farrier had worked with the owners on. Maybe that'd make a boat a bit more interesting.

• 6 months later...
On 2/7/2019 at 11:14 AM, Rasputin22 said:

That Craigslist F-31 is most certainly a scam. If you look closely you  can see the doc number routed into a board  on the bunk/seat front just ahead of the companionway. The ad has new copy and far fewer photos than one that was running a few months ago. It struck me odd at the time that the copy went to great lengths about the stereo and electronic gear on the boat yet said almost nothing about the sails. I did a CG search for the DOC number and got a name and address and within 5 minutes was talking on the phone with the guy who really owned it and he was really embarrassed that his inattention in listing the boat via POP or some other legitimate web broker enabled the Craigs list scammer to use his photos and even a survey to set up the scam ad. He was well up toward 6 figures and the boat was pretty fairly priced I thought. He was a web/website type guy himself  and that just made it worse for him that he had gotten screwed over by the scammer. I played the scam seller along for a while and it was the usual thing where they won't tell you where the boat actually is at the moment and you can't just go and inspect it personally because it is already at a shipping company shrink wrapped/crated up for free shipping to your location as soon as your funds arrive. You have 7 days to inspect, sea trial or whatever and if you are not 100% satisfied you can refuse and get your money back because it in in some sort of 'escrow' account such as Ebay Motors, yeah right?

Kinda sounds like the response I just got when I replied to this add with a pix very similar to the one posted above.

Here was part of the email exchange.

As I told you in my first email, I will leave in a week to Edmonton, where my husband got a new job. Because of the short time that I have left and so many things to deal with concerning our departure I have signed a contract with eBay to take care of the selling on my behalf. The boat is already at the shipping company in Topeka, KS and is ready for the shipping. The deal includes free delivery and it will arrive at your address in 7-9 days, depending on the exact location. You will have 5 days to try out prior to making any purchase and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back at my expense. If you are interested in knowing more info about how it works, I can ask eBay to send you an email with more information on how to purchase it. eBay will contact you shortly after they have the details with all the confirmation that you need to complete this deal and you will also have proof that I am covered by them and a legitimate seller. 

• 1 month later...