• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working out in the shop one day I wound up with a big chunk of 5/16 plate steel and thought why not make a pizza/baking steel. I had the TIG machine set up so used that process to stick the handles on

I've been working on my sushi skills. This is all hamachi 

Reubens using a venison pastrami...cured and cold smoked a couple months back...pulled from freezer and grilled then steamed...add home fermented kraut, Swiss, and Russian dressing...the rest of it ha

Posted Images

Guinness Stew   Tried it the first time on a trip to Ireland last fall.

Wonderful stuff. Starting to get a little too warm for that but I can always crank the AC down a few degrees.

• 2 weeks later...

On Sunday I made bagels from scratch for the first time. We had them, still hot, for lunch on the terrace with cream cheese, smoked salmon, mashed avacado and capers.  Daughter went for avacado only....

I was happily impressed with the result.  

• Like 1

There's a small family run butcher down in Salida, we go down there once in awhile. Not only excellent beef but all sorts of other meats and deli selections. At supermarket or better prices.

They have fresh never frozen chickens, those are a little pricey. I brine then spatchcock and toss them on the grill. Simple yet elegantly tasty.

Here's their fancy website http://www.scangameat.com/

7 hours ago, bmiller said:

There's a small family run butcher down in Salida, we go down there once in awhile. Not only excellent beef but all sorts of other meats and deli selections. At supermarket or better prices.

They have fresh never frozen chickens, those are a little pricey. I brine then spatchcock and toss them on the grill. Simple yet elegantly tasty.

Here's their fancy website http://www.scangameat.com/

We just ordered meat from our local butcher.  Kroger can't get meat..... But he just calls our farmer neighbor and a dead cow shows up...

few from the last month or so.....

ummm......no meat......vego here......love to cook

tend to cook from scratch, no prepared packets, all basic ingredients, try to avoid numbers on food

bangers, mash & mushroom gravy

french toast n fresh berries

spaghetti bolognese, hasselback spud, vegies

mushroom risotto and brussel sprouts in butter and pepper

mushroom pie floater

potato gnocchi - quick boil, then fry with arrabiata sauce(has some heat to it)

baklava......yummmm

bangers n mash.JPG

french toast.JPG

spaghetti bolognese.JPG

mushroom risotto.JPG

pie floater.JPG

potato gnocchi.JPG

baklava.JPG

Last night's effort was ultra-simple and fucking beautiful. Roast shoulder of lamb with potatoes and whole heads of garlic, couple of cherry tomatoes. Low and slow, add the quartered potatoes, tomatoes and garlic for the last hour. The missus contributed a dressing of mint, anchovies, chopped walnut and EV olive oil.

Breakfast was cold sliced lamb on fresh white rolls with lashings of Hot English. Lunch will be the scrapings off the bone with baked beans.

The dog did well too........

• Like 1

My own simple omelet recipe, enhanced over the years.  I made and shared one tonight with my elderly landlady.  It has to be done, as she's habouring my criminal self during this shelter in home time for minimal rent, and it's good to keep her happy.  No, no, no, not like that, you prurient buggers....

Large fry pan, add some butter and olive oil, and a half handful of chopped pancetta or diced bacon.  Then 1 crushed garlic clove, a quarter of a white onion chopped finely, and 4 or 5 small brown mushrooms, also chopped fine.  When nicely reduced and done, pour out into a dish, add a chunk of butter into the pan, and 4 fresh beaten eggs, and whiz them around to the pan edges. 

When eggs are nearly set, add salt and ground black pepper and some Italian seasoning mix, and put 2 or 3 very thin slices of white cheese on one side, and add the mushroom mix on top, again to one side.  Put 2 or 3 thin slices of avocado on top of the mushers, then fold the other half of the omelet over the top of it all. 

Cook 30 more seconds, and flip the whole thing, hopefully without busting it (may need 2 spatulas), and give it 30 seconds on the other side.

Divide in half.  Hey, ho, simple, and good with some buttered wholewheat toast.

Good boat breakfast too.

• Like 1

I'm anything BUT a vegetarian. However, this recipe is great, and I didn't miss the meat at all. It's also pretty easy. The only time consuming part is baking the sweet potatoes

https://www.cocinadecoco.com/post/sweet-potato-black-bean-spinach-enchiladas

image.png.cac3581f9f1d30a198ec217230350fda.png

12 hours ago, On The Hard said:

I'm anything BUT a vegetarian. However, this recipe is great, and I didn't miss the meat at all. It's also pretty easy. The only time consuming part is baking the sweet potatoes

https://www.cocinadecoco.com/post/sweet-potato-black-bean-spinach-enchiladas

image.png.cac3581f9f1d30a198ec217230350fda.png

thanks, looks yum, gonna look that one up, do something similar with bean mix, always looking for variations

is that your cookup in the pic?

On 4/30/2020 at 8:48 AM, Snaggletooth said:

I wase insprired by f_b, potatoe gnocci with roasted tomatoe creame sause.  Alle frome scratche and suprisengley goode!                                      :)

wow, thanks snaggs, :D.....gnocchi is a wonderful thing

tonight....vegan pho

fried tofu, vegie dumplings, noodle, bok choy, mushroom, broccolini, soy, ginger and all sorts of other yummy stuff

2 family members coming over, that's our limit under current arrangements, allowed 2 visitors, phew....

pic from a recipe book I use a bit....hopefully mine looks as good

vegan pho.JPG

On 4/30/2020 at 10:46 PM, furr_ball said:

thanks, looks yum, gonna look that one up, do something similar with bean mix, always looking for variations

is that your cookup in the pic?

Nope. That's from the website. Mine wasn't too far off that, though. It's a good looking dish in addition to being tasty!

On 4/28/2020 at 6:15 PM, Max Rockatansky said:

Curry and Guyanese-style roti

image.thumb.png.c3ab8e9ecd68364da5f0268e73d74e67.png

Where'd you get the roti?

I'd love a curried chicken, or fish roti with aloo, but there ain't no place to buy bussupshut around here.....

Tonight is pork in a long simmering coconut curry sauce over rice. One thing about the stay at home......I have been able to try lots of recipes that have been languishing in my “to try” folder. Lots of really good stuff!  

Crab cake eggs Benedict!  Homemade sourdough English muffins, hand-picked local crab, homemade hollandaise sauce using homemade cashew yogurt (wife is allergic to dairy).  My poached eggs somehow always wind up looking like baby aliens... Crabs are basically trash around here and the fishermen essentially give them away. $5 got 1.5 lbs picked meat, although I would never make a living picking crab!

BB162B4F-F168-4947-A32C-DF7596CCC407.jpeg

2D27782B-7486-4AFA-984F-19644E788799.jpeg

• Like 1
On 4/29/2020 at 10:03 PM, Dorado said:

Ahi Avocado roll.

This is from a tail section. Can be a bit sinewy so I chop it up for a spicy tuna mix.

IMG_8419.jpg

Fresh (really fresh!) ahi over cucumber and papaya on fried wonton skins with a wasabi cream sauce...Grabs Jr. outdoing himself...

FullSizeR.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Grabbs - I hate ya right now, but, not in a bad sorta way.

Is it weird that if I get like tuna caught that day, I like to to refrigerate for like 2 days before making sushi. It firms and loses some chewiness.

Just now, austin1972 said:

Is it weird that if I get like tuna caught that day, I like to to refrigerate for like 2 days before making sushi. It firms and loses some chewiness.

I could see that.   I have one fresh sashimi story - I was on a deployment to HI ( Oahu ).  One of my hoodlum biker friends lives across the mountain in Kaneohe.   He invited me over after work, and said to meet him at the marina.   I get there, and he and a few of his local buddies had a great day fishing.  They were cutting strips of Ahi, had some fresh picked seaweed, and I forget what kind of island beer iced down in the cockpit.   Sitting on the boat, watching the sun go down, eating sashimi so fresh it was swimming an hour ago with some chili-water mixed w/soy sauce, with some really cool dudes is a memory I will always treasure. 

image.png.265194beb6a8c5884d824988fa102e00.png

Chicken Tinga -- it's a South Texas thing. There are recipes for making in an instant pot and it's out of this world.

I serve on the Flour/Corn blend tortillas with avocado, pickled red onions, cilantro and a little Monterrey Jack. Its awfully good!

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

Chicken Tinga -- it's a South Texas thing. There are recipes for making in an instant pot and it's out of this world.

I serve on the Flour/Corn blend tortillas with avocado, pickled red onions, cilantro and a little Monterrey Jack. Its awfully good!

wow!  i'd take a shot at that.

32 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

this recipe calls for mexican oregano, is that what you use?  

https://mexicanfoodjournal.com/chicken-tinga/

2 hours ago, chester said:

this recipe calls for mexican oregano, is that what you use?  

https://mexicanfoodjournal.com/chicken-tinga/

This is the recipe https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-slow-cooker-chicken-tinga-260804

It doesn't specify but if I had both, I think Mexican would be more authentic. FWIW I put in a good bit more Cumin than it calls for. The oregano gets a little lost behind that

1 minute ago, On The Hard said:

This is the recipe https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-slow-cooker-chicken-tinga-260804

It doesn't specify but if I had both, I think Mexican would be more authentic. FWIW I put in a good bit more Cumin than it calls for. The oregano gets a little lost behind that

thanks.  my daughter is off to tienda latin ebenezer sometime in the next day or two to get some oregano and chipoltle and i'm giving it a go!

21 hours ago, chester said:

thanks.  my daughter is off to tienda latin ebenezer sometime in the next day or two to get some oregano and chipoltle and i'm giving it a go!

Good luck with it! I made some in the slow cooker last night for this weekend. It came out muy sabroso!!

I actually like the canned chipotles. I put in one, finely diced, but three tablespoons of the adobo sauce. The adobo sauce is a KEY ingredient!

1 hour ago, On The Hard said:

Good luck with it! I made some in the slow cooker last night for this weekend. It came out muy sabroso!!

I actually like the canned chipotles. I put in one, finely diced, but three tablespoons of the adobo sauce. The adobo sauce is a KEY ingredient!

can't wait! will get daughter #1 to get the adobe sauce too.  I live on the opposite end of the great plains from you but we have a surprisingly large and diverse population of latin americans (daughter #1's partner is from Lima) and therefore there are a few (one or two :>))  tiende latina so...hell ya, it's chicken tinga this weekend!

On 5/12/2020 at 3:38 PM, On The Hard said:

In the Crock-Pot right now.

The best spuds ever:

Parboil some halved potatoes about 10 minutes. Drain and give 'em a bit of a shake in the pot to scuff up the edges.

Warm up some Duck Fat.....the magic ingredient.

Toss the spuds in a bowl to cover with the duck fat and a couple of halved heads of garlic, salt and pepper.

Roast at 200C for about 40 minutes, turning once or twice.

A small pot of French duck fat cost me about five bucks. Well worth it, and I've still got half a pot left.

I did a simple Golden Chicken with Minty Veg last night.  

Make a marinade with 1 tbsp olive oil, a good squeeze of lemon juice, chili flakes, S & P.  

2 good chicken breasts, score them double diagonally both sides. Put into marinade and squash them down and turn to let marinade in, then throw them in a pan on medium high heat.  

Cut tips off 8 or 9 asparagus spears, and slice the stalks into ¾" lengths.  Put a handful of frozen tiny peas, and a handful of frozen broad beans into salted boiling water with asparagus.  

Rip stalks off a bunch of mint and put in blender with a bit of olive oil & salt and some wine vinegar for a minty salsa.  Add a small ladle of boiling water and a ladle of the veg.  Blend till nearly smooth and Kermit green.

Put veggies onto plate, slice chicken breasts when done, add to top of veg.  Spoon minty salsa on top, add some tiny mint leaves, and a little bit of crumbled feta.

On 4/28/2020 at 7:51 AM, cyclone said:

4A25148C-E7E9-4F75-A6A3-3638AEFFE957.thumb.jpeg.bc7e4f8ec53e229b3ee503e032ca5435.jpegBreakfast popovers. Used some local duck eggs.

can you buy duck eggs at the store where you are? I never see them around here. Have been able to snag a few from mama duck out on my dock from time to time. they like to build nests on my boats LOL

I had to drive through South Park the other day and stopped in at Dorothy's for tamales. Love tamales but have no desire to make them at home, especially when a resource like Dorothy's is nearby.

We always make our red sauce though. All our red Chile comes from Potrero Trading Post in Chimayo NM, we go down there pretty often. Their sun dried product is superior to machine dried. And what they call heirloom is out of this world, better be for $44/lb.

Dorothy was featured on food network back when she was in Hartsel. A tiny wide spot in the road in South Park, near nowhere. Her kitchen was in a semi trailer with a storefront attached to the end. Very cool place but she moved to Fairplay a few years ago. Not the same ambiance but the tamales are still great.

This video was shot at the old Hartsel location.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/chicken-tamales-0152705

10 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

can you buy duck eggs at the store where you are? I never see them around here. Have been able to snag a few from mama duck out on my dock from time to time. they like to build nests on my boats LOL

We are fortunate to have a friend with a surplus right now. Getting some Bantam eggs as well. All good.

On 5/13/2020 at 1:37 PM, On The Hard said:

Well that turned out great!  Y'all take nice plate pics but we had it taco style...wasn't a lot of plating going on!   I used the slow cooker recipe you posted.  I made the pure with tomatoes past and used some chicken stock as liquid.  Daughter had bought la costena Chipotle SALSA rather than the chili's so I used that. I added extra Mexican oregano rather than extra cumin.  Loved it.  Going to do a beef tinga next!

On 5/16/2020 at 9:30 PM, chester said:

Well that turned out great!  Y'all take nice plate pics but we had it taco style...wasn't a lot of plating going on!   I used the slow cooker recipe you posted.  I made the pure with tomatoes past and used some chicken stock as liquid.  Daughter had bought la costena Chipotle SALSA rather than the chili's so I used that. I added extra Mexican oregano rather than extra cumin.  Loved it.  Going to do a beef tinga next!

Beef Tinga! Now there's a thought!  Stew meat, I guess?  Please let us know how it turns out. We had chicken tinga tacos for lunch on Saturday and they were frikkin' awesome. Our (socially distant) guests had never had them before even though they are from Corpus Christi. I guess Tinga is more central Mexico than TexMex, but it sure is good!

• 3 months later...
On 5/13/2020 at 5:09 PM, cyclone said:
On 5/12/2020 at 3:38 PM, On The Hard said:

In the Crock-Pot right now.

Dinnere tonitte!  Sippeng Dragone Fruite Mango Punche withe Rum waitteng foire the timere to go offe!     Then ist "grabbe an fille you tortilla!"                                   :)

• Like 1
On 8/22/2020 at 4:53 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Dinnere tonitte!  Sippeng Dragone Fruite Mango Punche withe Rum waitteng foire the timere to go offe!     Then ist "grabbe an fille you tortilla!"                                   :)

I made it yesterday! it's handy to have available for lunches during the week. Hope yours turned out well!

Here is the recipe that goes with the picture. Works in an instantpot too. https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-slow-cooker-chicken-tinga-260804

5 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

I made it yesterday! it's handy to have available for lunches during the week. Hope yours turned out well!

It didde thack you.  Alittelle hotte foire wifey, butte we haive a secant mealle plande foire it!                                   :)

20 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

It didde thack you.  Alittelle hotte foire wifey, butte we haive a secant mealle plande foire it!                                   :)

"Hot for Wifey"  - Kind a like Hot for Teacher but more wholesome!  :P      (I love hearing about successful marriages!  All too rare these days.)

Kind of like chili - better the second day. Glad you enjoyed it Amigo!

• Like 1

Picked up a new aluminum dutch oven for river use. Just got back from a week long trip, had lasagna, a breakfast dish and birthday cake cooked in the dutch oven, all turned out fantastic. 

Sorry, no pics. 

Vegans need not apply.

I have some friends coming up from Corpus this weekend and as a special request, I'm making what I like to call "Chicken Cholesterol"

Pan sauted chicken breasts with Dijon mustard and white wine cream sauce. Sounds simple, and it is. Lots of rice to soak up the sauce!

I haven't made it in about 20 years so it's about time. No cardiologist appointments for the next 6 months.....

On 4/29/2020 at 5:56 AM, furr_ball said:

few from the last month or so.....

ummm......no meat......vego here......love to cook

tend to cook from scratch, no prepared packets, all basic ingredients, try to avoid numbers on food

bangers, mash & mushroom gravy

french toast n fresh berries

spaghetti bolognese, hasselback spud, vegies

mushroom risotto and brussel sprouts in butter and pepper

mushroom pie floater

potato gnocchi - quick boil, then fry with arrabiata sauce(has some heat to it)

baklava......yummmm

bangers n mash.JPG

french toast.JPG

spaghetti bolognese.JPG

mushroom risotto.JPG

pie floater.JPG

potato gnocchi.JPG

baklava.JPG

These look amazing!!!! Inspired me to be more brave when cooking (am not the greatest cook, but will give my best)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My wife has made this dish multiple times. Really good and even good the next day. (We skip the radishes, but you do you)

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/charlie-birds-farro-salad-6589464

image.png

On 10/8/2020 at 8:19 AM, billy backstay said:

Missus BB found a smoking hot deal on drumsticks at the market lately.  She made a Chicken Stroganoff, that was the bestest ever!!

That sounds really good, but getting the meat off the bones must have been a pain. Most flavorful piece on the chicken, though! Did she boil them first?

58 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

That sounds really good, but getting the meat off the bones must have been a pain. Most flavorful piece on the chicken, though! Did she boil them first?

I think she baked them, the meat fell right off the bones...

• Like 1

I confess I didn't make these myself but they were so good and so pretty, I just wanted to share.

Barbacoa Enchiladas at La Fonda in San Antonio

image.png.e63f45d61a1e0a844824bb6373d68371.png

• Like 2

Alright, I'm not normally a fast food guy but on my way back from MI, I got a 10 piece spicy chicken McNugget with spicy sauce, fries and a Coke. It was really good.

I feel dirty for getting it but glad I did. Haven't drank a Coke or eaten fast food in years.

3 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Alright, I'm not normally a fast food guy but on my way back from MI, I got a 10 piece spicy chicken McNugget with spicy sauce, fries and a Coke. It was really good.

I feel dirty for getting it but glad I did. Haven't drank a Coke or eaten fast food in years.

Occasionally, while returning from a rental unit a half hour away, I will breeze through McDonalds drive-thru for a 2 dollar McDouble.  Must be loaded with fat, sugar and salt, as I find them deliciously satisfying!  Must concentrate on eating more fruit and veggies!!

17 hours ago, On The Hard said:

I confess I didn't make these myself but they were so good and so pretty, I just wanted to share.

Barbacoa Enchiladas at La Fonda in San Antonio

image.png.e63f45d61a1e0a844824bb6373d68371.png

yum!!  The night after the chicken stroganoff, she made eggs Benedict with Avocado, delicious!

• Like 1
On 8/25/2020 at 6:07 PM, P_Wop said:

Yesterday morning's poached eggs on buttered wholewheat toast.  There's a secret (!) method that gets them to turn out like this every time.

poached_eggs.jpg.4c5fcfa969d1d9b18ba9eb73340d6132.jpg

Please share secret, Eggs Benedict is one of my absolute breakfast favorites but making hollandaise sauce really intimidates me.

A good friend brought us some huckleberries from his last trip to Montana. Today I made a cobbler in the Dutch oven, complete with outdoor charcoal just like camping. 

Ever heard of the sprite method? 

Dump the fruit in the Dutch oven (I added 1/2 pint of blueberries), sprinkle on packaged cake mix, pour on some sprite or 7UP, mix the batter on top, dot with butter, bake.

Had to cook in the shop due to weather conditions.

Yummmmm

20201011_143632.jpg

20201011_144416.jpg

20201011_150226.jpg

20201011_163340.jpg

• Like 2
19 hours ago, bmiller said:

A good friend brought us some huckleberries from his last trip to Montana. Today I made a cobbler in the Dutch oven, complete with outdoor charcoal just like camping. 

Dump the fruit in the Dutch oven (I added 1/2 pint of blueberries), sprinkle on packaged cake mix, pour on some sprite or 7UP, mix the batter on top, dot with butter, bake.

Yummmmm

20201011_143632.jpg

20201011_144416.jpg

20201011_150226.jpg

20201011_163340.jpg

DUDE!! And you didn't even invite me over to share!!  Seriously, that looks AMAZING

On 10/11/2020 at 4:49 PM, bmiller said:

Yummmmm

20201011_143632.jpg

20201011_144416.jpg

20201011_150226.jpg

20201011_163340.jpg

B, what do you mean "mix the batter on top"?  Oh, and how much sprite? enough to make a batter i guess...but...

On 10/14/2020 at 8:27 AM, chester said:

B, what do you mean "mix the batter on top"?  Oh, and how much sprite? enough to make a batter i guess...but...

Sorry for the delay, went road trip/camping.

I mixed the batter on top of the fruit in the dutch oven, next time I'll do it in a separate bowl. Yea the amount of sprite was just a guess, whatever it took to make a batter that would smooth out. Later on I will try and find the guideline I used. Notice I said guideline, recipes are only guidelines.

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

Sorry for the delay, went road trip/camping.

I mixed the batter on top of the fruit in the dutch oven, next time I'll do it in a separate bowl. Yea the amount of sprite was just a guess, whatever it took to make a batter that would smooth out. Later on I will try and find the guideline I used. Notice I said guideline, recipes are only guidelines.

Thanks, I'm gonna give it a try

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

still waiting on those poached eggs secrests..

So here we go.

1. Bring 4" of water to the boil in a small pan. I use a 1qt stainless one.
2. Crack one egg into a 6" strainer and let the loose drippy stuff dribble out of the bottom.  
3. Gently tip it and whiz it around to be sure.  Takes a minute or 2.  Carefully tip egg into a small bowl, keeping it all together.
4.. Repeat with egg #2.
5. When water boils, turn heat to absolute minimum.
6. Put in a tiny splash (¼ teaspoon) of white wine vinegar. This helps the whites set.
7. Stir water into a vortex with a slotted spoon, and gently slide both eggs in.
8. Put the toast in the toaster.
9. When eggs have done 2½ minutes, turn off the heat.
10. Spoon out any loose floating eggwhite bits with a small ladle. I use a pair of scissors to snip off the tendrils that form if the strainage wasn't perfect.
11. Eggs should cook a total 3½ to 4 minutes for a firm white and runny yolk.
12. Butter the toast, apply eggs with your slotted spoon, and grind salt and pepper on top.
13. You should already have poured a glass of something, but it's never too late.

Practice makes perfect.  You'll probably mungle up an egg or two early on in your career, especially during the delicate transfer from strainer to bowl.  I keep those failed attempts in a tupperware in the fridge for an omelette, and have another try with another egg.

If you need to do more than two eggs, either use a larger pan or two small ones.

• Like 1

EDIT:

2. Crack one egg into a 6" strainer and let the loose drippy stuff dribble out of the bottom.  

I use a 4" strainer, not 6".  It's really helpful to have one with no lip around the edge, as a lip tends to bugger up your egg when you're pouring it out. 

Mine has 3/16" holes, just enough for the drip to come through, and no lip.

strainer.jpg