• 2 months later...
  • Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been working on my sushi skills. This is all hamachi 

Working out in the shop one day I wound up with a big chunk of 5/16 plate steel and thought why not make a pizza/baking steel. I had the TIG machine set up so used that process to stick the handles on

Reubens using a venison pastrami...cured and cold smoked a couple months back...pulled from freezer and grilled then steamed...add home fermented kraut, Swiss, and Russian dressing...the rest of it ha

Posted Images

On 2/10/2021 at 1:56 AM, Snaggletooth said:

A hiite againe last nitte!

I bookmarked the recipe. Looks absolutely delicious.  

Here is one of my faves from her site: https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a11074/cowboy-quiche/

Follow the recipe (maybe heavy on the bacon) or add a few things like mushrooms or peppers. It's excellent either way. 

PS. I use store bought dough for the crust.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Jr. rolls in with a lump of Yellowfin from a midweek trip ahead of this shit in The Gulf...proceeds to fire us up some mini-tuna tacos with mango/ginger/cucumber salsa and wasabi cream sauce...ono-licious!...

• Like 2

Shrimp cakes. Like crab cakes, only made with finely chopped shrimp. It's a bitch to get it to hold together, but seriously tasty

Why is food and everything, so expensive since the pandemic has ended, for many of us fully vaxed people??

Beef is through the roof, and a sheet of plywood, or a 2 by 4 costs 10 times what they did a year and a half ago?  

Need to reroof our garage with loft apartment, and pretty sure there is lath, not plywood under the wood shingles the previous owners installed.  4 grand for 6 squares of roof, for plywood alone!!  It's not leaking yet, so may put it off until next year, in the hopes plywood will come back to reality.......:angry::(

18 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Why is food and everything, so expensive since the pandemic has ended, for many of us fully vaxed people??

Beef is through the roof, and a sheet of plywood, or a 2 by 4 costs 10 times what they did a year and a half ago?  

Need to reroof our garage with loft apartment, and pretty sure there is lath, not plywood under the wood shingles the previous owners installed.  4 grand for 6 squares of roof, for plywood alone!!  It's not leaking yet, so may put it off until next year, in the hopes plywood will come back to reality.......:angry::(

People been sitting on their wallets for a year, and companies cut back on production. It's coming back online. Give it 2 more months.

4 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

People been sitting on their wallets for a year, and companies cut back on production. It's coming back online. Give it 2 more months.

God I hope so!!  I will give it 6 or more months...   14 grand for a 6 square garage re-roof is Nucking Futs!!

6 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

God I hope so!!  I will give it 6 or more months...   14 grand for a 6 square garage re-roof is Nucking Futs!!

I think it's only construction lumber that's crazy, was at a hardwood place and 3/4" birch ply, cabinet grade was $60? Mahogany was $6.75/board foot. Not crazy.

• 3 weeks later...

Maide a greene goddesse sallad dresseng, greate stuff!

·        1 cup parsley leaves

·        1 cup packed watercress or spinach leaves, stemmed

·        2 tablespoons tarragon leaves, rinsed

·        3 tablespoons minced chives

·        1 garlic clove, roughly chopped

·        2 anchovy fillets, preferably salt-packed

·        3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

·        1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Champagne vinegar or sherry vinegar

·        ½ cup canola oil or grapeseed oil

·        ½ cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade (see note)

·        Kosher salt

·        freshly ground pepper

Directions:

In a blender, combine the parsley, watercress or spinach, tarragon, chives, garlic, anchovies, lemon juice, vinegar and canola or grapeseed oil. Blend until smooth, about two minutes. Add the mayonnaise, and blend again until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

• Like 1

I did a pair of baked branzini last week, Greek style.  Simple and magic.

Get two 1¼ lb fish properly cleaned, but with head and fins still on.

Smear each cavity with a paste of crushed garlic and olive oil, then stuff in 6 or 7 half-moons of lemon (Meyer lemons if you can), and two sprigs each of oregano and thyme. 

Slother the fish generously with olive oil, and roast in a oven set to the highest broil setting for 18 minutes.  Turn once after 10 minutes, and add 3 or 4 slices of lemon on each fish after the turn.  Serve with sprinkles of oregano leaves.

A good accompaniment is young spinach leaves sautéed in olive oil, garlic and the juice of one large lemon, with some Parmesan sprinkled on top.  Yummy.

image.png.56ab2a0f616294eb29ad36a23eb56bb1.png

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

So I invited Miss Monday night over for dinner this morning for some grilled Mako shark, something vegetable like and some homemade garlic bread on this killer shit a local baker makes here on town. Any ways at the last second I thought I'd surprise her with a custom cut 1 lb. Rib Eye. My go to butcher guys were out of cow, so I went down the street to Calimax (a pretty good sized chain grocery store here in Baja) and talked to their butcher about slicing me up two 1-1/4" thick R/Eyes, at just under 3/4 lb. each. Fortunately I asked him what that would cost.....and about lost my shit when he told me $660 pesos a f'ng kilo.....which translates to about $15.00 a frickin pound. For Rib Eye steak? Even if it WAS from Sonora? Holy fukoly but that's more than twice what I paid for the same shit just like 9 months ago.

Anyways I said thanks but no thanks and hit my local seafood guy and bought a dozen m/large fresh shrimp and two flash frozen 12 oz. sealed Bluefin tuna steaks that were caught the afternoon before (the Ensenada fishing fleet has been kiling the tuna this month....70 degree-plus clean water and they're thicker than weeds down here). 

Anyways, running short on time (getting close to 5:00) I had to figure out what to do with everything. So I went with this;

1). Tuna steaks. Bit of garlic salt and pepper on one side, paprika and dried red pepper seeds on the other. After an hour I brushed some oyster sauce on one side, flipped them over and rubbed minced garlic on the other side.....then put poured a tablespoon and a half of fresh organic honey right on top and also brushed the sides with it. 

I've got a 9 x9 square cast iron frying pan with about a dozen raised 'fins' in it that gives some fuktabulous grill marks on whatever you're cooking in it.....and I gotta admit....this tuna came out f'ng amazing. And Miss Monday was duly impressed.

For the shrimp? Tail on, shell off, light dusting of sea salt, paprika and Galangadal, marinate for an hour and then stir fried them in a 50/50 butter & olive oil mix, with red bell pepper, cilantro, white onions, green onions, minced garlic, chopped Jalapeños, sliced Mexi squash and red chili seeds. Fuk. Ing. Killer......

And for dessert?...cream pie?...:D

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Two scrambled eggs with a tablespoon of Greek yogurt thoroughly beaten in to make them light and fluffy, cooked in hot butter then heat turned down to minimum as you stir them.  Add a teaspoon of basil pesto and stir in at the last minute.  Serve (optionally) on a slice of buttered whole wheat toast.  Yummm...!

EDIT:  Forgot.  Sprinkle salt and ground black pepper.

pesto_scramble.jpg

• Like 1

Pulled Pork Tacos w/refried beans and Cowboy Candie jalapenos

These were fun to make.  I used about every cooking toy I have on them for the pork, beans, jalapenos, and sauce

cooked pork in smoker for 4 hours at 225  Removed and portioned into vac bags and froze with 2 tablespoons of my home made 9 pepper taco seasoning per pound of pork.  

Cook pork from frozen 18 to 20 hours in Sous Vide at 165 deg F. remove juice to fry pan, shred pork and add to fry pan.  Cook over high heat until all liquids gone and pork has started to crisp a little.

Refried bens made in pressure cooker from dried beans, onion, roasted pork bones, my 9 pepper taco seasoning and beer/water

Farmer I hunt his land gave me tomatoes so I made taco sauce with some.  Canned 14 pints of it.  Some hot some mild.  He grew the peppers in the taco sauce also

Home made Cowboy candied jalapenos were grown by my farmer friend and canned by me.

finished with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and fresh cilantro

20210727_183523.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Raiding the pantry and freezer tonight...made the venison brisket tamales last winter...canned some refried beans around the same time...egg was about 17 seconds over-cooked...

20210830_200347(1).jpg

Rocked a Cuban Balcke Beanes and Rice tonitte.  Mrs.Snaggey ist verrey happey.........                  :)

Cuban Black Beans and Rice

Ingredients:

·        1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)

·        3 cloves garlic

·        2 tablespoons olive oil

·        1 medium onion diced

·        ½ red bell pepper (seeded and diced)

·        ½ poblano pepper (seeded and diced)

·        1 tablespoon salt

·        1 tablespoon cumin

·        1 tablespoon dried oregano

·        1 teaspoon pepper

·        ½ teaspoon cayenne

·        1 cup rice rinsed

·        2 cups chicken broth

·        2 tablespoons cilantro and lime wedges (lime juice) to serve.

Directions:

Rinse beans and let drain.

In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat and sauté onions, peppers, and garlic. Add spices (salt through cayenne) and continue stirring until vegetables have softened, 4-6 minutes.

Stir in rinsed (uncooked) rice and sauté for 2 minutes so that the rice starts to toast and lightly brown.

Pour in chicken broth, cooked black beans. Stir once then bring to a boil. Stir a second time then reduce heat to low and place a tightly fitting lid on the pot. Cook until liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. 

Finish with cilantro and lime wedges (lime juice) to serve.

4 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Rocked a Cuban Balcke Beanes and Rice tonitte.  Mrs.Snaggey ist verrey happey.........                  :)

Cuban Black Beans and Rice

Ingredients:

·        1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)

·        3 cloves garlic

·        2 tablespoons olive oil

·        1 medium onion diced

·        ½ red bell pepper (seeded and diced)

·        ½ poblano pepper (seeded and diced)

·        1 tablespoon salt

·        1 tablespoon cumin

·        1 tablespoon dried oregano

·        1 teaspoon pepper

·        ½ teaspoon cayenne

·        1 cup rice rinsed

·        2 cups chicken broth

·        2 tablespoons cilantro and lime wedges (lime juice) to serve.

Directions:

Rinse beans and let drain.

In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat and sauté onions, peppers, and garlic. Add spices (salt through cayenne) and continue stirring until vegetables have softened, 4-6 minutes.

Stir in rinsed (uncooked) rice and sauté for 2 minutes so that the rice starts to toast and lightly brown.

Pour in chicken broth, cooked black beans. Stir once then bring to a boil. Stir a second time then reduce heat to low and place a tightly fitting lid on the pot. Cook until liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. 

Finish with cilantro and lime wedges (lime juice) to serve.

Red wine vinegar along with the lime wedges...and dominoes to play when you're done eatin'...

Sister-in-law is coming over tonight so she and the Missus can watch their football team suffer further humiliation. On the menu (besides lots of wine) is a Bangladeshi Prawn Curry that she cooked yesterday. Always cook a curry the day before, let the flavors and texture deepen overnight in the fridge, re-heating and serving when you're half-drunk is easy.

I had a taste yesterday. My wife and her sister are chili enthusiasts, but this was fucking ridiculous. I wouldn't use it as grease-stripper for fear it would dissolve the engine block. To actually swallow this stuff would risk turning the inside surface of your colon into something resembling stress-fractured fibreglass. I'm pretty sure it's illegal under the Geneva Convention.

The fridge appears to be a mushroom-free zone, so a plain and simple cheese omelet with a slice of toasted sourdough on the side.  Using Havarti cheese, organic local eggs, a snip of parsley from the plant on the patio, a tiny bit of cream, cooked in butter, lots of beautiful hot butter. 

Life is just so hard......

3 hours ago, Happy said:

Sister-in-law is coming over tonight so she and the Missus can watch their football team suffer further humiliation. On the menu (besides lots of wine) is a Bangladeshi Prawn Curry that she cooked yesterday. Always cook a curry the day before, let the flavors and texture deepen overnight in the fridge, re-heating and serving when you're half-drunk is easy.

I had a taste yesterday. My wife and her sister are chili enthusiasts, but this was fucking ridiculous. I wouldn't use it as grease-stripper for fear it would dissolve the engine block. To actually swallow this stuff would risk turning the inside surface of your colon into something resembling stress-fractured fibreglass. I'm pretty sure it's illegal under the Geneva Convention.

The fridge appears to be a mushroom-free zone, so a plain and simple cheese omelet with a slice of toasted sourdough on the side.  Using Havarti cheese, organic local eggs, a snip of parsley from the plant on the patio, a tiny bit of cream, cooked in butter, lots of beautiful hot butter. 

Life is just so hard......

you ain't a poet

just  a drunk with a pen

The nastiest and most evil curry is Phaal.  Restaurant chefs in Britain sometimes wear a military gas-mask to prepare it.

From Roger's Profanisaurus in the scurrilous British mag VIZ, there's an appropriate definition:

Outpouring of grief. n. A lamentable episode. Example: "Following last night's prawn phaal, there's been a huge outpouring of grief. So I'd give it five minutes if I was you, vicar."

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite easy dutch oven meals, no boil baked penne, or ziti or whatever tubular pasta you want.

Start by mixing all the dry ingrediants, in this case for a 10" dutch oven, 1/2 pound dry penne, 1/2 pound pre cooked sausage, some diced yellow and green squash, shredded parmesan, sometimes mozzerella but I used what was on hand.

RIMG0596-600x338.jpg

Then stir in the wet, 1 can or jar of sauce (I use cans when rafting or camping less glass and you can smash them down), about 2/3-3/4 can of water, dollop in some ricotta cheese but don't completely mix it in leave some big lumps.

RIMG0597-600x338.jpg

Took a little over an hour. I should have backed off a tad on the water due to the fresh squash but still great.

RIMG0598-600x338.jpg

Of course the dining area adds to the experience.

RIMG0595-600x338.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

What I made today just about broke my heart.... I made a dump run with every bag of beans, pasta, flour, corn meal, muffin mix, cake mix, powdered cocoa... rice, and even powdered ginger, Thyme, Oregano.... Pretty much the whole 9 yards of dry goods.....

Indian miller moths/weevils infested everything. They must have come in a box of something.

I'm guessing close to $6-700 worth of stuff that was perfectly good a month or so ago.

Question - what's the big deal about "end grain cutting boards". They seem to use up a lot of wood and are super expensive, but people put them on their wedding present registration. Why end-grain? Does the extra thickness add some functionality or are they just thick to be thick with no real purpose?

11 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Oerderes frome teh toppe;  MS's chilli tonite............                         :)

@Grande Mastere Dreademaide be accesptabelle to Texans, kidney beanes replaced withe Black Beanes, lemone juice s withe lime, doubelle the cumin............ it wase goode.                          :)

On 10/31/2021 at 4:15 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Our theire deepe fryeng turnkey poestes or dedicated threade?  Wifey wantnes to try that thisse yeare.        :)

I have deep fried dozens of turkeys in my life time.  Best suggestion is to brine the turkey for 48 hours in a salt/sugar/molasses brine.  Then inject it with your favorite flavor - I like to use Tony Chachere's Garlic Butter.  rub generously with your favorite seasoning blend - again, I go for Tony Chachere's Cajon seasonings.  Let sit overnight in cold box.  remove turkey from cold box an hour or so before deep fry time and allow to warm up a bit.  Deep fry in 350°F peanut oil if you can, do not use any oil with a low smoke point or you could have an oil fire when you put turkey in hot oil.  Cook for 3 minutes per pound of turkey then test for doneness with an instant read thermometer.  Watch oil temp after putting bird in oil, increase heat from burner to get oil back to 350°F then turn it down to hold 335°F for remainder of cook time.

• Like 1
On 10/21/2021 at 8:29 PM, Wet Spreaders said:

Question - what's the big deal about "end grain cutting boards". They seem to use up a lot of wood and are super expensive, but people put them on their wedding present registration. Why end-grain? Does the extra thickness add some functionality or are they just thick to be thick with no real purpose?

not needed, we use a laminated hard wood board which is 20 years old, oiled regularly with mineral oil, I dislike plastic boards

particularly ugly work like cutting up a whole chicken I will put a wet paper towel down and put a plastic sheet on top

cooking knives are consumable items for me, $150-200 for a good chefs knife every 5 years is fine by me

4 hours ago, F395 said:

I have deep fried dozens of turkeys in my life time.  Best suggestion is to brine the turkey for 48 hours in a salt/sugar/molasses brine.  Then inject it with your favorite flavor - I like to use Tony Chachere's Garlic Butter.  rub generously with your favorite seasoning blend - again, I go for Tony Chachere's Cajon seasonings.  Let sit overnight in cold box.  remove turkey from cold box an hour or so before deep fry time and allow to warm up a bit.  Deep fry in 350°F peanut oil if you can, do not use any oil with a low smoke point or you could have an oil fire when you put turkey in hot oil.  Cook for 3 minutes per pound of turkey then test for doneness with an instant read thermometer.  Watch oil temp after putting bird in oil, increase heat from burner to get oil back to 350°F then turn it down to hold 335°F for remainder of cook time.

One of the key lessons is to lower the bird into the oil slowly without any of you over the fryer.

We always used an old shovel handle held by 2 hearty gents to get the turkey in and out of the oil.  You probably want to have a pretty good sized tarp under the fryer unless you don't care about a little oil on the ground. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Snags,  I love a fried a turkey.  I’ve cooked several with no drama,  but a spatchcock will give fried a run for its money...  honestly, I don’t think I will ever cook a bird any other way.

juicy, crispy skin, great flavor.   15lbs In 90 min on the grill. Every ounce of skin was edible.  Roast turkey, nah never again.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

Spatchcock turkey 

8C1BAD40-E0FA-4930-AC2B-51AC77A538E4.jpeg

0E8ED8EA-FE5C-45F6-B3B5-72CF893E59D3.jpeg

I don’t have pics. But I spatchcocked a Turkey and then roasted in the oven. 21 pound bird took 2 hours. As perfectly crisp skin all over and several said it was the best Turkey they had eaten. The only way I will do a Turkey from know on 

• 1 month later...

Some Scottish smoked salmon on buttered whole wheat bread with the rinds off and cut into 1½" pieces.  Plenty of squeezed Meyer lemon off the tree, and ground black pepper.  And a half bottle of Veuve Cliquot to wash it down. 

Living alone is OK sometimes.

• Like 2

It doesn't count as the best thing I've made, as all I did was open them, but the Bride and I treated ourselves to some farmed oysters at Christmas, and were so enamored we got some for Dr King's birthday as well.  Dunno if it's because they are farmed or not but we had a taste test with some wild Choptanks (which we like a lot) and they won hands down. Got em from Island Creek Oysters in Duxbury MA