jared

Farr 1/2 Tonner

Hi all, 

recently purchased a farr 1/2 Tonner, currently called icedoctor, might have been called tyco. Located currently on the port hacking. Looking to find some info out about the boat, like who built her, what was her racing history, previous owner mentioned she’s done a Hobart. I bought the boat quite well and intend on giving her tidy up, and race her in twilights and the occasional short ocean race. Any information on Farr half Tonner would be of help. 

Cheers

3 hours ago, jared said:

Hi all, 

recently purchased a farr 1/2 Tonner, currently called icedoctor, might have been called tyco. Located currently on the port hacking. Looking to find some info out about the boat, like who built her, what was her racing history, previous owner mentioned she’s done a Hobart. I bought the boat quite well and intend on giving her tidy up, and race her in twilights and the occasional short ocean race. Any information on Farr half Tonner would be of help. 

Cheers

Pic?  Which genberation of half tonners is it?

2 hours ago, lydia said:

Betting it is the old "Hot Bubbles 2"

Yes it is clearing our crap on it today, the bosuns chair has hot bubble too written on it, can anyone confirm that it is a farr and who the builder was ?

37 minutes ago, jared said:

Yes it is clearing our crap on it today, the bosuns chair has hot bubble too written on it, can anyone confirm that it is a farr and who the builder was ?

It is a Farr not sure who built it.

Originally from Melbourne then Mooloolaba by the early 1980s

Lost a Brisbane to Gladstone on a protest to Incredible (also a Farr 920 but in GRP)for barging at the start from what I remember.

Raced in Cronulla’s twilight tonight boat needs a lot of tlc but was still a lot of fun.what other info do u know about the boat 

5 hours ago, lydia said:

It is a Farr not sure who built it.

Originally from Melbourne then Mooloolaba by the early 1980s

Lost a Brisbane to Gladstone on a protest to Incredible (also a Farr 920 but in GRP)for barging at the start from what I remember.

Hot Bubbles was never a Melbourne boat , the only Farr half Tonners there were Bob Fell’s Vitamin C and That’s Life ex 2269

I have a recollection that it was Oborns boat for a very short time before 2269 and mal Dawson brought it from him

1 hour ago, lydia said:

I have a recollection that it was Oborns boat for a very short time before 2269 and mal Dawson brought it from him

Not in Melb. 2269 came to Melb after the 77 Half Ton Cup in Sydney and was owned by Bruce  Thomas and Ian Robertson at Sandringham. 

Certainly looks like HB2.  Spent many a happy hour on her on Sydney Harbour (CYC Winter Series etc) in the 90s, and a couple of short offshore races Sydney-Port Stephens, Sydney-Botany Bay etc.  It seems like a long time ago, and a much more innocent time.

She had runners on her which the stick really didn't need, and they seem to have been removed.  Probably won't point so well with backstay on hard, probably won't matter.

Hot Bubbles 2 had the full Fraser Sails program back in the day ,there was big picture of her as you walked into the loft .when Frasers was in the shop on bayswater rd opposite the rushcutters bowl , as a 16 yr old dinghy sailing apprentice it was one of the first yachts i sailed on, it was a great boat in its day

On 2/16/2019 at 4:56 PM, DuncanR said:

Certainly looks like HB2.  Spent many a happy hour on her on Sydney Harbour (CYC Winter Series etc) in the 90s, and a couple of short offshore races Sydney-Port Stephens, Sydney-Botany Bay etc.  It seems like a long time ago, and a much more innocent time.

She had runners on her which the stick really didn't need, and they seem to have been removed.  Probably won't point so well with backstay on hard, probably won't matter.

Hi mate have you got any photos from when you use to race on it, currently backstay set up is shit. Got the rig coming out soon for a refurb, and would like to go back to original all to masheat runners. Anyway this history is amazing does anyone know is she did a Hobart? The old bloke I bought it of reckons it did.

cheers

1 hour ago, jared said:

Hi mate have you got any photos from when you use to race on it, currently backstay set up is shit. Got the rig coming out soon for a refurb, and would like to go back to original all to masheat runners. Anyway this history is amazing does anyone know is she did a Hobart? The old bloke I bought it of reckons it did.

cheers

Jared,

December 1976 Offshore mentions the boat https://cyca.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Offshore_December-January-1977.pdf, but she's not in the 1976 race list on rolexsydneyhobart.com 

2 hours ago, jared said:

cheers

Jared

I doubt she would have had masthead running backstays - they weren't a thing in those days.  More likely the runners would have come off the hounds, pulling directly against the forestay.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jared said:

cheers

Sweet boat.  Phil Eadie is listed in a CYCA Annual report as a part owner of the boat in 2003, he would know its ocean racing history I'd imagine.

Originally it would have had fractional runners, in-line spreaders and a single topmast backstay supporting a pin head main.  Those swept back spreaders are a later addition.  Look for signs of the original chainplates further forward.   Runners on that rig would be unnecessary I suspect, and a pain in the butt to live with.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Looks like they were swept originally, plus runners. 

From Farr design #54: http://www.farrdesign.com/54.html

54_gitchygoomy_02.jpg

Hmmm may well be right.  Sweet boats I reckon.  If the structure for the chainplates is right a taller carbon rig and non-overlap jibs would  be a great setup.

• Like 1

The old bloke I purchased her off spent his time cutting out dry rot, and re glassing. He replaced most of running rigging, ripped out seized Diesel engine and put outboard bracket on. So really all I need to do is tlc and get her racing again. I plan to get standing rigging done first then start everything else. 

Yeah, fractional runners and single swept back spreaders.  There were no forward chainplate marks, at least not as I remember it.  The mast is/was a very big section for what must have been a hot race boat leading into the 77 Worlds in Sydney, always made me think that the original may have fallen over at some stake AKA Harold Cudmore.

I wouldn't do masthead runners, just no point unless you were going to squaretop, in which case you have rather larger considerations than the runners.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jared said:

The old bloke I purchased her off spent his time cutting out dry rot, and re glassing. He replaced most of running rigging, ripped out seized Diesel engine and put outboard bracket on. So really all I need to do is tlc and get her racing again. I plan to get standing rigging done first then start everything else. 

These days you would do masthead kites so that's a consideration for what mods you might make to running rigging, an dif the mast section is past use-by date there'd be a bit of thinking to do about configuring a replacement in that area.

Still one of the nicest keel boats I have sailed. The design only lasted a season before the IOR rule update brought the Swuzzlebubble, Gunboat Rangiriri/ 2269 design for the Sydney Worlds and Southern Cross Cup that year.

There were a mix of in line and swept back rigs, - same as the 1104s of the era.

Hi mate can u send me some photo of your transom with the runner set up. Also deck layout, and interior lay out . Thanks

On 15 February 2019 at 12:13 PM, jared said:

9941CD14-1F7E-4E47-A264-35EB8922EC52.jpeg

Check the deck under the winches, not good when a winch pops free during a race.

(Saw this on a similar vintage 1/2 tonner in Perth in 2017)

in the late 90's a friend of mine bought a Farr 1/2 ton in SoCal and did a really nice resto on it.  Used to be called Gizmo, he re-named her Diva.  When he was doing the bottom work, he asked me if he should remove the vestigial skeg and the IOR bumps.  I said hell no.  Keep her in all her IOR glory! 

Double spreader in line rig with runners.  Diesel over the keel.  All Elliot Pattison sail wardrobe.  In breeze she was unbeatable.  There was another 1/2 ton called Off. This one was completely faired, no bumps, IIRC no skeg, and updated rudder.  No diesel, O/B on bracket. 

We used to take great delight in saying we beat Off!

Upwind in breeze, with a fully stacked rail, that boat pointed like a setter.  Downwind it drove like a dump truck.  But, it was a total weapon and we picked up a lot of pickle dishes for the owner.  He was and still is, also a very talented grower of the loco or Chernobyl as we called it.  Some of the most pungent safety meetings were held after racing! 

After he sold, she was last seen rotting away in front of Cabrillo Yacht Club.  Shame really.

Crappy pic from a Long Beach Race Week.

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 3.33.56 PM.png

17 hours ago, jared said:

Hi mate can u send me some photo of your transom with the runner set up. Also deck layout, and interior lay out . Thanks

Here are some pictures of last year.

when I bought it, it had an inline mast with runners. this was not the original set up. as mentioned above, the original design had swept spreaders. The mast was replaced with a slightly taller swept spreader mast, with no runners, only backstay. got rid of the runner winches.

changed to non overlapping headsails because of IRC. and a spi halyard as high in the mast as it can go.

I maximized the mast length in function of the keel. but is still very short as compared to the other HTs. The boat sails well from 14-24 knots. Below that it doesn't have enough sail area, above it doesn't have enough ballast. If I could do things over, I would change the keel for a heavier deeper more modern foil and get a tall mast similar to the class standard.

JJ

IMG_0343.jpg

20180128_151526.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg

8 hours ago, reinax said:

Here are some pictures of last year.

when I bought it, it had an inline mast with runners. this was not the original set up. as mentioned above, the original design had swept spreaders. The mast was replaced with a slightly taller swept spreader mast, with no runners, only backstay. got rid of the runner winches.

changed to non overlapping headsails because of IRC. and a spi halyard as high in the mast as it can go.

I maximized the mast length in function of the keel. but is still very short as compared to the other HTs. The boat sails well from 14-24 knots. Below that it doesn't have enough sail area, above it doesn't have enough ballast. If I could do things over, I would change the keel for a heavier deeper more modern foil and get a tall mast similar to the class standard.

JJ

Looks great.  A taller, stiff carbon rig would make a big difference, that plus the type of keel you are suggesting (maybe put any weight saved in the rig down on the keel) and it would be a very much faster boat in all conditions.  Farr 30 rig, or Melges 32 maybe. 

The design is pretty small and low wetted surface for a half tonner so it could become a light air weapon if configured optimally.

On 3/5/2019 at 9:49 PM, jared said:

Interior :D

On 2/20/2019 at 6:58 AM, p5527 said:

Wow, it even has an IOR Certificate. Impressed!

If this is Hot Bubbles 2 she was a Townsville boat (north QLD) in the early mid 1980's when i was a young lad (10yo) and owned by a local solicitor "Clive Scott". She may have even done the Cairns to Port Moresby (PNG) ocean race during his tenure. Back then she was dark blue with 2 white stripes under the gunwalls. Always thought she was a sweet boat.

Back then we had a few 1/2 tonners in the club... 2 Holland 30's "Pride Of Oleron" & "Golden Era" my parents had "Waaratah" a Waarschip 1/2 tonner originally from Sandringham Vic. Hot Bubbles 2 the Farr 30.

Hi Jared and commenters,

I have a farr 1/2 tonner design 54 called Mako which was built in Tasmania, launched 1977.

The only other 54 in Aus was built by Denis Liubinas in Melbourne, reckon thats your yacht.

D54 was drawn in 1975, the rule change affected the ratings of D51, D53 & D54 bringing about D65, 10" more beam, 1'3" longer and 1'7" taller rig.

D65's are Swuzzlebubble, Gunboat Rangiri, 2269, and an Aussie one later called Liquidator which was a Tassie boat before going to Sydney, 2269 became Night Raider and was wrecked when washed ashore at Mornington Vic.

Incredible is D93 from 1980.

Mako is rated both AMS .744 and IRC .896, she is still as designed and built with overlapping headsails.

Couple of pics for you.

Cheers

Phil

26804625_1753184371412365_2335225256516099593_n.jpg

2017-12-27-12.19.46.jpg

15541300_350934051938172_5076219843702871574_n.jpg

26230424_1752231618174307_222482080707111493_n.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farr 1/2 Ton said:

Hi Jared and commenters,

I have a farr 1/2 tonner design 54 called Mako which was built in Tasmania, launched 1977.

The only other 54 in Aus was built by Denis Liubinas in Melbourne, reckon thats your yacht.

D

Pretty sure there's a red D54 in Sydney harbour, or there was a year or two back.  Paint was faded but it looked pretty solid otherwise

Mako looks great - well done!

Springloaded (later Primal Farr ?) was built in NZ, sailed the '76 nationals there, and was (I think) plug for the NZ production run of D54s.  

Liquidator was built in '76 or '77 and did the '77 Half Ton Worlds in Sydney, with Mike Sharpe and Fletch involved IIRC.

Incredible was not a 1980 boat - as proof, she won the Gladstone in 1979. She also did the '77 Half Ton worlds, under charter to the French, and was another D54.

Mekim Save, a PNG D54, is one that seems to be lost to history.

Hot Bubbles 2 is a D54 built in wood for ex-Kiwi Graham Oborn.

Surely Mako's bulb is a later addition?

4 minutes ago, Curious said:

Mako looks great - well done!

Springloaded (later Primal Farr ?) was built in NZ, sailed the '76 nationals there, and was (I think) plug for the NZ production run of D54s.  

Liquidator was built in '76 or '77 and did the '77 Half Ton Worlds in Sydney, with Mike Sharpe and Fletch involved IIRC.

Incredible was not a 1980 boat - as proof, she won the Gladstone in 1979. She also did the '77 Half Ton worlds, under charter to the French, and was another D54.

Mekim Save, a PNG D54, is one that seems to be lost to history.

Hot Bubbles 2 is a D54 built in wood for ex-Kiwi Graham Oborn.

Surely Mako's bulb is a later addition?

WOW, heaps more info than I've been able to find, a lot of history lost.

The bulb was indeed added later but quite early in Mako's life.

She is still light, wighed in at 2612kg

Thats Life / 2269 became Night Raider whioch was washed ashore at Mornington but picked up and nicely rebuilt. She now races as Two Farr out of Geelong. 

Farr HTs are like cockroaches, try as you might, you just cant kill 'em.

513934340_NightRaiderPhilSparrowSYC.thumb.jpg.a7e77ecda58cb5513e3cdd6d7581922b.jpgIMG_5254.thumb.JPG.9190236a316867d9aff4df89e163b3b0.JPG

• Like 1

Another Farr HT is languishing for sale in a berth at RMYS St Kilda.

Vitamin C, (H2) seen here racing on Port Phillip on a breezy 1983 day is up for grabs, reputedly for a mere $6k. She was built in NZ by Alpha Yachts for Bob Fell who fitted her out here in Melbourne. 

The keen eyed viewer will note the way most of us used to sail shirtless in those "pre-melanoma" days. You won't see that sight these days, global warming?

827297007_1983racing.jpg.251f40359eb001fabdcb60a60638a333.jpg

55 minutes ago, Curious said:

What boat is B117, to leeward?

2Farr looks beautiful - well done to whoever fixed her.

Looks like a Joubert boat, Brolga 33 or Corrawong 30 maybe

2 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

Looks like a Joubert boat, Brolga 33 or Corrawong 30 maybe

You're not looking at B3?

1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

The keen eyed viewer will note the way most of us used to sail shirtless in those "pre-melanoma" days. You won't see that sight these days, global warming?

Also the days before 70 odd% of Australian males being overweight!

1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Thats Life / 2269 became Night Raider whioch was washed ashore at Mornington but picked up and nicely rebuilt. She now races as Two Farr out of Geelong. 

Farr HTs are like cockroaches, try as you might, you just cant kill 'em.

513934340_NightRaiderPhilSparrowSYC.thumb.jpg.a7e77ecda58cb5513e3cdd6d7581922b.jpgIMG_5254.thumb.JPG.9190236a316867d9aff4df89e163b3b0.JPG

Indeed they hard to kill and beat, great boats to sail, Mako is very cometetive under IRC and won the 2017 Launceston to Hobat

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 3:08 PM, Curious said:

What boat is B117, to leeward?

2Farr looks beautiful - well done to whoever fixed her.

B117 is the late Gordon Stooke's "Seamist 111" Gordon is the large gentleman seen port side aft in the cockpit. Lovely bloke, he taught me to splice rope to wire many decades ago. The yellow S & S 34 is Cliff Wilkinson's Mulloka and the blue S & S 34 is Paul Woodman's Aries (iirc). The boat in the lead is Bill Currie's Farr 1104 Damel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

B117 is the late Gordon Stooke's "Seamist 111" Gordon is the large gentleman seen port side aft in the cockpit. Lovely bloke, he taught me to splice rope to wire many decades ago.

Outboard end of the pole needs to come down and what is that meeting going on at the mast !!!!

9 minutes ago, DtM said:

Outboard end of the pole needs to come down and what is that meeting going on at the mast !!!!

9 minutes ago, DtM said:

Seamist 111 was never noted for her stability. As you can see she is carrying a flatter spinnaker than any of the other boats around her. The crew are gathered at BMax and the pole is high to open the leech to keep the boat on her feet. Stability may have been improved if Gordon could get forward of the wheel but he was a gentleman of somewhat large proportions so he rarely left the cockpit. I took that photo back in '83 and remember that day as a honking hot summer northerly so there would have been a bit on, hence the reef in Vitamin C.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DtM said:

They're discussing if there's any chance of getting the inboard end up the mast a bit.  Probably not I assume was the final decision.

I love old half tonners.  Did my first yacht racing on an old cold moulded mid 70s boat.  Completely indestructible, event loaded up with stupid kids.

On 8/20/2019 at 2:59 PM, SPORTSCAR said:

Another Farr HT is languishing for sale in a berth at RMYS St Kilda.

Vitamin C, (H2) seen here racing on Port Phillip on a breezy 1983 day is up for grabs, reputedly for a mere $6k. She was built in NZ by Alpha Yachts for Bob Fell who fitted her out here in Melbourne. 

827297007_1983racing.jpg.251f40359eb001fabdcb60a60638a333.jpg

No we just all got fat.

• Like 2

There is that. And the shorts in those days just wouldn't suit now.

Both Incredible D54 And Liquidator D65 both for sale here in Mooloolaba, great for Gosford Sailing Club's upcoming !/2 Ton Champs.

No need for an ad, not my boats!

Incredible looks a minter and Liquidator looks very "simple" down below. A good D54 Farr South is for sale in NZ for sale -  KZ3225. Wanting offers on 19k NZ pesos.

Seamist had a centre board in the keel which affected her stability. Mast gathering probably moving away from stookies bellowing.

He was also a ww2 pilot, and a really interesting guy.

A long time ago though...

A bit late to the party here but this classic Farr 1/2 tonner has turned up in a local boatyard. I am told that's the boat's original name and the owners are giving it a bit of a birthday.. Will investigate further.

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 4.55.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 4.55.27 PM.png

Bruce seemed to be one to find a shape he liked and just keep tweaking it for a decade. Maiden (Design 81) looks like a scaled up version of the same design.

maiden.jpg

Current owner of a 1104. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 8:13 PM, DuncanR said:

What on earth is the stern platform?

Boarding platform, makes it a lot easier to climb aboard.

I bought this boat from the Little Shoal Bay hardstand. She is now lying in Scotts Landing in the Mahurangi river awaiting hauling out this week to finish off the hull fairing and antifoul. 

I am in the market for a mainsail if any of you know someone who has one for sale.

Cheers

Hallalujah at Scotts Landing.jpg

On 2/15/2019 at 1:38 PM, Phil said:

HB2. Osborne.

My thought.