2019 Van Isle 360

Roleur

Registration is closed with 38 entries.  4 TP 52's  should make for some fast, close racing at the front.  

Start is June 1st, 10 legs, finish is June 15th.  Around Vancouver Island counterclockwise. 

Do you know someone interested in an all expenses paid road tour of Vancouver Island? Shearwater is looking for such a person(s) for Van Isle 360. May 30th to June 16th. A Dodge Ram and 22' Airstream would be your wheels and lodging to travel between the leg stopovers of the race, helping to carry our gear and food for the two week tour. There will be a caravan of road crews taking part in their own little adventure. Let me know if you are interested.

VanIsle.jpg

• 2 months later...

2 weeks until the start of Leg 1.  Divisions splits are up.  Looking forward to the great competition in Div 2.  

Headed to Costco today to start the provisioning for 18 days for 7 people.  Yikes.  We found some excellent shore crew, so we are all set with that.  

Anyone else on SA racing this year?

• 6 months later...

Posting this for the prospective 2021 Van Isle folks looking to get a feel for the race.  Our video recap of all 9 legs, which of course includes some amazing scenery and great sailing.  

Shearwater - Van Isle 360 2019

DSC_3932 (8).jpg

19 hours ago, Roleur said:

the prospective 2021 Van Isle folks looking to get a feel for the race.

Great video! Watched it all during the lunch break...

Throughout the race, is everyone always staying on their boats or can there be some sort of on-shore camping? (Hotels... Actual camping, etc)

3 hours ago, Floating Duck said:

Great video! Watched it all during the lunch break...

Throughout the race, is everyone always staying on their boats or can there be some sort of on-shore camping? (Hotels... Actual camping, etc)

Overall, I think most people stayed in hotels.  There were 4 TP52's with 10 to 12 onboard, so clearly they weren't staying on their boats.  Also, the majority of the boats have some sort of support crew onshore that transports spares, food, extra clothing, etc.  Apparently, being support crew is really enjoyable as some people keep coming back to do that.  It is its own adventure, with a lot camaraderie amongst the crews.  We slept onboard, but only had onboard during the race legs what was needed for that leg.  No extra food, clothing, water, fuel, spares, etc. onboard during the races.  Some did camp as well, as a lot of support crews were in RV's.  

The one exception was the fish farm at Hardwicke Island.  No support crew access and no shore access, so everyone slept on their boats.  Lots of sleeping bags under boom tents on the deck for that one.  It made for a fun change of pace for a lot of the boats.  

• 2 weeks later...

The video was great!  I am working on getting our boat set up for van isle.  Looks like the next van isle may start at the end of May.  Too early for me.  So I probably won’t do it until 2023. We will see though ...

53 minutes ago, Rainy Day Sailor said:

The video was great!  I am working on getting our boat set up for van isle.  Looks like the next van isle may start at the end of May.  Too early for me.  So I probably won’t do it until 2023. We will see though ...

Well, the Van Isle is entirely current and tide driven.  So the calendar is really set by the moon and sun.

As you go around the course, the committee has to time it just right at several points or the race turns into a mess, particularly for the slower boats.

Leg 2:  Getting into Campbell River can be pretty hard/impossible on an ebb which switches southbound to north bound at Cape Mudge.

Leg 3:  Now the ebb runs north:  Getting through Seymour Narrows on the morning of Leg 3 is also a critical gate.  Brown's Landing can only hold a few boats north of Seymour so everybody has to time their dash to Deepwater Bay.   5:00 a.m. boat calls are not all that fun.

Leg 4, 5 and 6 Then having positive current up Johnstone Strait is also a huge plus.  40 mile legs fighting 3 knots are a lot harder than 40 mile legs with 3+ push.   OR MORE:

1295644067_7knotcurrentinstrument.thumb.jpg.5839b2ed0a0ad0698889f6a3c20abed2.jpg

Leg 5/6  Telegraph Cove is shallow.  This year, the fleet had to get underway extremely early at some spots:  e.g. Out of the harbor before 6:30 a.m at Telegraph Cove.  

The real problem is that school hasn't let out yet so there is a real constraint on families/crew with kiddies.  

But it is definitely a must do race.

2 hours ago, Rainy Day Sailor said:

The next start is June 2021, so you have 1.5 years to get ready.  It is definitely the best sailing experience I've had.  Much more fun than racing to Hawaii.

1 hour ago, Roleur said:

The next start is June 2021, so you have 1.5 years to get ready.  It is definitely the best sailing experience I've had.  Much more fun than racing to Hawaii.

Except you end up in Hawaii instead of Nanaimo.

Thanks for the reply’s.  It is so remarkable how our life on the water in the pnw is decided by tides. I am reminded of this constantly.  

My main problem though is one that was mentioned and that is kids and school.  And to make matters worse I am a teacher.  I also have to space out my costs on the safety gear.  I was about to purchase my ais but I learned I need my mmsi number first.  Oh the the little things....

I also have young kids (2.5 and 0.5 years old). VI360 is on my bucket list and my wife has done it twice (2013 and 2015). I’ve cruised about half of the grounds and think we’ll do that with the kids multiple times before we can think about doing the full event. 

Kids have slowed down my racing a lot, but I’m really looking forward to a lot of sailing with them.  This winter we’re slightly cruiseifiying the boat with a furler and heat... 

On 12/28/2019 at 8:54 AM, Alex W said:

I also have young kids (2.5 and 0.5 years old). VI360 is on my bucket list and my wife has done it twice (2013 and 2015). I’ve cruised about half of the grounds and think we’ll do that with the kids multiple times before we can think about doing the full event. 

Kids have slowed down my racing a lot, but I’m really looking forward to a lot of sailing with them.  This winter we’re slightly cruiseifiying the boat with a furler and heat... 

I made the mistake of thinking the Van Isle was some sort of "cruise at speed" the first time I did it.  We learned 5 minutes before the gun of the first leg as the boats lined up for the start that it is not.  It is a race.  You don't get to pick your weather or current windows.  You just go. 

1602463029_ColdFoodUclueletLeg2019.thumb.jpg.01bbd3ac52e2ed58d96f43d98060f060.jpg

And the people on the boat next to you may be on a boat with something of an interior (or not!) but they may also have Olympic medals.  It is a race and a very, very good one.

Getting back to civilization is one of the extra challenges.  Getting to start from the PNW is another.  Two other big bene's of Van Isle vs. Hawaii is that if you break something or go the wrong way, you hit the dock, get sorted, and start fresh the next morning, right next to your competition.  That also means you can see your competition for 95% of the two weeks as opposed to 5% going to Hawaii.  Plus starting 9 times versus once is funner.

This year we had 4 TP52's and 3 boats with water ballast.  We also had at least one boat with a washer and dryer and one boat with in mast roller furling.  Two boats were close to 50 years old.    

20 minutes ago, Floating Duck said:

Multihulls?

Yes

Formula 40 cat as well "STB"

26 minutes ago, Keith said:

Formula 40 cat as well "STB"

They did it 4 or 5 times I believe.  Sailed by some of the most experienced and toughest cat sailors in the NA. 

Kids...Don't try this at home.

Archived