Vanguard 15 (Looking to Buy)

39 minutes ago, c34webb said:

I live in Nashville and am willing to travel depending on condition of the boat. Thanks

I thought there was a decent fleet near Nashville or Memphis?  No one looking to sell there?

55 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

I thought there was a decent fleet near Nashville or Memphis?  No one looking to sell there?

There is in Nashville but not any for sale that are in good race shape.

13 hours ago, SailMoore1 said:

Where are you located and how far are you willing to travel?

Sorry I didn't reply directly. 

I live in Nashville and am willing to travel depending on condition of the boat. Thanks

More information:
  • Annapolis Vanguard 15 Google Group Site: The Annapolis Fleet's site and group email distribution--includes racing schedules, interesting links, classifieds, and a way to stay connected with the latest fleet information.
  • Annapolis Vanguard Fleet Facebook Page: The Facebook page includes more information on upcoming events and photos from past regattas. Feel free to post photos and write on the Fleet wall!
On 3/1/2019 at 7:10 PM, Wavedancer II said:
More information:
  • Annapolis Vanguard 15 Google Group Site: The Annapolis Fleet's site and group email distribution--includes racing schedules, interesting links, classifieds, and a way to stay connected with the latest fleet information.
  • Annapolis Vanguard Fleet Facebook Page: The Facebook page includes more information on upcoming events and photos from past regattas. Feel free to post photos and write on the Fleet wall!

Most all of these are sold or much older. Has anyone seen a 2010 or newer boat out there for sale?

2 hours ago, torrid said:

When did they stop making them?  I want to say it was before 2010.

I sailed the 2010 nationals. There were a lot of boats in Mackerel cove that year. That was pretty much the end of the line though. Sadly.

7 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

I sailed the 2010 nationals. There were a lot of boats in Mackerel cove that year. That was pretty much the end of the line though. Sadly.

I've seen them up to 2012 but nothing for sale currently. 

On 3/5/2019 at 2:43 PM, lemonpepper said:

All the V15s are probably soft these days. I don't recall that they were very beefy. Sad that LP killed off one of their better product lines and then stupidly tried to launch a lightweight 420 just a year or two later! A company with no vision for sure.

We have a fleet of 20 V15's and I'd say half are soft hence trying to find a newer/better hull. It's a great boat and it's gaining fleets in the southeast. LP needs to get it together.

4 hours ago, c34webb said:

We have a fleet of 20 V15's and I'd say half are soft hence trying to find a newer/better hull. It's a great boat and it's gaining fleets in the southeast. LP needs to get it together.

Mine was stolen a few years ago. Maybe it went south.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 3:57 PM, WCB said:

I came here to post that one.  Looks like the best deal out there.

Yeah I'm looking for something a bit newer. This is a tough search...

• 7 months later...
On 3/6/2019 at 12:57 PM, c34webb said:

By 'soft' I believe we are talking about the hull skin under the stringer developing lengthwise cracks.  Otherwise the hulls seem to hold up.  Sometimes the stringer detaches at the front and needs to be reattaced but I wouldn't call that soft. 

I've gone through 2 boats and both went soft this way. 

When the first failed I thought my boat handling on the dock and trailer contributed to the failure but I changed all of my dock setup and trailering to absolutely baby it for the second boat but it failed too.  Right now my hypothesis is that high speed planing on chop contributes (I have a masthead a-sail setup so high speed happens).

Both were repaired with proper cloth.  I repaired and later sold the first to grow the fleet and still have the second.  Both sail today without cracks.  The one I kept still has the a-sail.  Last summer I did a camping trip from Astoria to Portland, all downwind in opposing tide, 2 days, so plenty of speed and rough treatment.

The repair process I employed involved removing most of the failed material with a belt sander.  You will end up removing more material at the cracks so double up the cloth over the cracks.  If you are clever you can cut cloth strips and remove a few fibers to taper the thickness to reduce stress at the transitions between 1 layer and 2.  I laid up the strips under a broad sheet of cloth because it is easier to spread/roller/squeegie the resin if you have a continuous sheet.  As I recall I used 6 oz cloth.  Fill fair and paint. Lots of long boarding.  I invested in a big Bosch 1/2 sheet vibration sander, way better than a random orbital (BTDT), because you will go through a lot of consumables and it supports any grade of paper, I went to 800 grit.  The whole thing is a 30 hour job.

After seeing how much more reliable the repaired product is with $20 of cloth I ask myself if it would have killed em to add just one layer of cloth in the layout when they built the thing in the first place.  I've heard excuses that wouldn't pass muster in my line of work but I'm sure I'm going to have to hear em again.

50 minutes ago, sailsport1 said:

We've got one available in Northern MI. Snowed into storage now, but it's a boat that's seen very little use and in great shape.

https://sailsportmarine.com/collections/used-boats/products/2010-laserperformance-vanguard-15

Scott

Sailsport Marine

Traverse City, MI

231-929-2330

I want the Hobie behind it :-)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fkl1982 said:

Does anyone know the current status of the V15? Can new boats/parts be purchased from LP online or dealers?

I spoke with LP earlier in the year and they said if there was a sizable order (guessing 10 or more) they’d crack out the molds. 

1 hour ago, Fkl1982 said:

does anyone have a source for new ruder/centerboard blades?

I made my own board out of cedar. I sailed the nationals with it. Didn't even bother to cut the oval tip. Nobody cared. I didn't win though. One guy saw it and said, "cool--you have one of the original wood ones!"  Hahaha. I did have a low sail number from the mid 90s.

• 1 year later...

I have a vanguard 15 for sale.  All lines are new.  You would need a new set of race sails.  Road and beach trailer included.  Road trailer has new wheels and tires.  The boat is located in Buffalo, NY.  Asking $1000.  

IMG_5749.JPG

IMG_5753.JPG