My guess is the Phillies will tank. Paying $330 million for 13 years does not make sense even for a good player like Harper. How will it feel to be in the clubhouse as any other player not making that type of $$$?

1 hour ago, Rum Runner said:

My guess is the Phillies will tank. Paying $330 million for 13 years does not make sense even for a good player like Harper. How will it feel to be in the clubhouse as any other player not making that type of $$$?

Harper had one outstanding year, 2015.   Phillies fans are not as forgiving as Nats fans so I expect them to eat him alive.

Harper was offered a $300M/10 year contract, but much of the money was deferred.  Since Harper and his agent never counteroffered no one will ever know what the final agreement would be but my guess is that he would have ended up better off with the Nats offer but by the time he found out free agency wasn't what they expected it was too late - the Nats had moved on.

3 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

Yeah - I like all 3 clubs, Philly, Baltimore (favorite) and the Nats.  WTF was Philly thinking spending that much for a guy hitting .250? 

• 10 months later...

Dead of winter.  NBA and NHL going strong.  NFL wrapping it up.

And the big news is:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/ct-houston-astros-sign-stealing-suspensions-20200113-duh7jjwaxbcmfnfxb6efc74dge-story.html

Astros manager AJ Hinch and GM Jeff Luhnow are suspended for the 2020 MLB season in sign-stealing scandal

54 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Dead of winter.  NBA and NHL going strong.  NFL wrapping it up.

And the big news is:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/ct-houston-astros-sign-stealing-suspensions-20200113-duh7jjwaxbcmfnfxb6efc74dge-story.html

Astros manager AJ Hinch and GM Jeff Luhnow are suspended for the 2020 MLB season in sign-stealing scandal

That didn’t take long:

Astros fire manager AJ Hinch and GM Jeff Luhnow after MLB suspends them for the 2020 season in sign-stealing scandal

14 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

That didn’t take long:

Astros fire manager AJ Hinch and GM Jeff Luhnow after MLB suspends them for the 2020 season in sign-stealing scandal

Good. Cora should be put out of baseball as well. 

MLB should send Astros to Dodger Stadium for 3 games next season. That would be wild.

Insider trading sends you to jail.  MLB ???

Dodgers should sue Astros and individuals involved.  MLB ducking out when they should clean house.  Player suspensions next.  Historical precedence abounds:  Rose, McClain, Black Sox. 

As Dodger fans watched Kershaw and particularly Darvish get tagged, you thought how can this go bad so fast?   Now we know.

Low spot was that POS Gurriel taunting Darvish with the slanty-eye motions.  He should go first off into no-where land.

Just now, blunderfull said:

Brodie?  Who he?

Mets GM...

he hired Carlos Beltran who was on the Astros in 17 and was named by the commish as one of the cheaters

1 hour ago, dacapo said:

Mets GM...

he hired Carlos Beltran who was on the Astros in 17 and was named by the commish as one of the cheaters

Beltran laying low.   All these guys waiting for the real shit to hit - more names of players & staff.   Should be fun to watch ‘em twist in the wind.

Fully expect Canseco to weigh in any day now.   What the hell.

Buck takes a shot at Jeff “Didn’t know” Luhnow.

Same Luhnow who developed the Data Mining System for Cardinals and then gets same database hacked by Card’s staff once he leaves for Houston.   Yea right, didn’t know what was going down.  Not a details guy.   Uh-huh.   Where was he?  Opening car dealerships on Saturdays and passing out tee shirts?  Please.

On 1/15/2020 at 9:08 AM, Cristoforo said:

Luckily for Mets manager Carlos Beltran, he now works for a fraudster (allegedly) . So his ass is fine.    

Somehow Stevie Wonder escaped, but the guys right below him took the hits.  If I were Beltran, I'd be worried.  Stevie won't fire him, but he'll make sure any investigators are sent directly to Carlos and that said investigators are well aware that Stevie had no knowledge of Beltran's actions.

I think most owners would gladly pay $5 million for a World Series championship, and fire the GM and manager, and give up some draft choices.  The food and beer concessions for playoff home games should more than pay the bill.  If they don't vacate the championship there's really not much deterrent.  If the tour de France can vacate Lance's yellow jerseys, it seems MLB just isn't quite gutsy enough.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, NaptimeAgain said:

If they don't vacate the championship there's really not much deterrent.  If the tour de France can vacate Lance's yellow jerseys, it seems MLB just isn't quite gutsy enough.

Truthe!                                                     :)

• Like 1

We get minimum 9 opps to vent on Astros this season.   All-Star game’s in Dodger Stadium & Angels play ‘stros 8x in Anaheim.

If I were Altuve I’d be getting fitted for some new body armour.  Chin music coming.

Buzz u Jose:

https://m.sfgate.com/athletics/article/jose-altuve-video-buzzer-astros-cheating-scandal-14981274.php#photo-18612463

“Jomboy, a prominent baseball YouTube personality, tweeted that "(five) different people within baseball, not connected to each other at all, have told me 'the buzzers are very real.'" Trevor Bauer, a starting pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds, corroborated Jomboy's report, saying he'd heard about the buzzers from "multiple parties."

29 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Two words to get their attention: Lifetime Ban!

Sponsors watch starts now.   Who’ll be the first to bail on MLB?   MLB keeping an eye on bottom line first, big hit there and players then get tossed.

Talk radio any indication, there will be a “Sea of Dodger Blue” at Astros first game agst Angels.  Oh yea!

As expected, Pantone 294 throws down:

“But Garcia said the Pantone 294 owners need to respect the Angels too. She said the group plans to buy 1,200 tickets from the Angels when the Astros play in Anaheim in July, and she said she would consult with the Angels before trying to buy a block of tickets for Dodgers fans to boo the Astros.”

- LA Times

You know they will bring the BIG banner for this one.

Not quite Crips/Bloods but Angel fans v 294 has no lovey dovey shit going on there.  The Cholo Dodger boys will bring the heat & that would be one game Astro fans would best stow the gear or the piss bags will fly.

We Want Altuve.   

Walker Buhler v Altuve in All Star game @ Dodger Stadium could be electric.

We got this covered.

The 294 rockin’ Yankee Stadium.  

Yankee fans should be in a frenzy by the time Altuve walks out first time & The Stadium.   Crazy sheit coming.   Aroldis Chapman v Altuve ?   Lights out.

6 hours ago, blunderfull said:

We got this covered.

The 294 rockin’ Yankee Stadium.  

Yankee fans should be in a frenzy by the time Altuve walks out first time & The Stadium.   Crazy sheit coming.   Aroldis Chapman v Altuve ?   Lights out.

I just paid for my season tickets today. That series is marked on my calendar 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, blunderfull said:
12 hours ago, dacapo said:

I just paid for my season tickets today. That series is marked on my calendar 

Bring the heat.   Wild times on the way.

Cashman knew & no one listened.   Respect.

he hired beltran, so I'd think so.

when the soxies report comes out, I wouldn't want to be mookie out in right field

4 hours ago, hermetic said:

when the soxies report comes out, I wouldn't want to be mookie out in right field

Yes.  I gotta slow down here.    So much flying around as fact it's getting hard to remember what's the hard truth.  Guilty I am.   Anger subsides I'll be ok.  Sorry guys.

How weird is it that Cole is now a Yankee?   He prolly heard last two years of what the deal was and watched it go down.   Now he's on the Yankees?

Feeding frenzy:

5 hours ago, hermetic said:

Losing me here.  Mets hired Beltran - Cashman's part in that??   

Michael Kay piece:   the Feds take a look at this and, like the PED era,  heads will roll.   Legal gamblers got hosed.   They should have recourse if the games were crooked.

1 hour ago, blunderfull said:

Losing me here.  Mets hired Beltran - Cashman's part in that??   

after he retired from the astros, beltran was a special assistant to cashman

he was considered for the yanks managing job, but they chose boone.  the choice makes sense now