Jump to content

Painted (?) Gel Coat Issue


freewheelin

Recommended Posts

I was doing a little cosmetic work on the boat, and was peeling off some vinyl decals that were peeling around the edges. Everything was going smoothly, then I got to a section between and forward of the portholes (a vinyl navy). I am not even sure what the name of that bulkead is. Started peeling it back using a heat gun and razor blade, and underneath was a lighter blue color. That was much harder to get off, and when I got some parts off gel coat came with it. So I am thinking it is either the original gel color, or is painted on. Unfortunately big parts are missing, so I cant leave it as is. 

I am hoping there is a fairly cheap and easy-ish way to get this looking somewhat decent. My boat was not bought for its cosmetic looks, so imperfection is the norm, but this stripe is super noticeable from every tack. My first thought is to cover it up like the previous owner did, probably with a navy. It does not have to look perfect, just consistent. Anyone have recommendations. I could go with 3m colored vinyl, but that might be a pain to cut to the space (there are several different widths and tapers), and will likely end up peeling again in a few years. Is there a paint option that would look ok? Any other suggestions? 

First 305 by the way, picture below

 

 

Beneteau F305.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

looks like it might be molded in blue gelcoat that started to fade/oxidize and someone put a vinyl sheet over the top to refresh. Probably the easiest thing would be to get it all cleaned up and put a new vinyl sheet back in there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, sailorman44 said:

Rattle can paint is your friend. Lots of colors so you can get a reasonable match, cheap, easy to apply, and if it fades after a few years just redo it.

I was wondering about spray paint, but worried it would look like crap

Link to post
Share on other sites

Weather it looks like crap depends on your ability and how much effort you are willing to put into it. If you have never sprayed or if you just spray without prep as Macsjsmith implys it will look like crap. As with any paint job preparation is 90% of the job. First mask off the line between the white and the blue. This will keep your sanding inside the lines. Sand with successively with 120, 180, and 320 wet/dry sand paper. Use a sanding block. pay special attention to the edge between the blue paint and the black primer. When you run your fingers lightly over it you should not be able to feel the edge. 

 
When you get the paint get a can of primer from the same manufacturer. If you haven't sprayed paint before practice on a cardboard box. There are a hundred how to videos on YouTube to teach you the technique of spraying paint. It is better to waste a can practicing rather than doing a crap job.
 
Don't approach the boat until you have the spraying technique down. Re mask the area this time taping paper at least two feet around the area to be painted. Pay special attention to tape that defines the edge of the painted area. Press that edge down with something hard and smooth like a spoon. If paint bleeds under the job will look like crap. If you can find it use 3M edgelock tape.
 
Wipe down the area with alcohol to remove any oil, don't touch the area with your bare fingers after. Spray two coats of primer, sand with 320. If you are satisfied with the surface then wipe down with alcohol and spray the color. If at any point you are not satisfied, sand with 320 and try again.
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I thought I would follow up. Finished the job this weekend with my wife (which was good, cause it took two). We used 3M vinyl remnants that we ordered with our boat-name graphics, then cut to size on site. We wet mounted which really helped because getting the long pieces lines up then cut down was a challenge. In the end, it is not perfect but looks much better. It's a 32 year old boat after all, so good enough is good enough. I'd recommend this route. In the end scraping off the old decal was the hardest part. It took hours.

(here are some after pictures - sorry for the orientation)

Decal2.JPG.7938a4d17b8b2f4d814d48d9887bd4ec.JPGDecal1.JPG.5dab29220e885489ab1f790ea89569b4.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...