ILCA gives LPE the boot... seeking new Laser builder

Two people are out sailing when suddenly a hand appears in the sea.
“What’s this?” asked the skipper, “It looks as if someone is drowning!”
“No,” explained his crew, “It’s just a little wave.”

• Like 2
  • Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wess

• tillerman

• Bill5

• RobbieB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no simple way to describe the procedure for complying with World Sailing’s Equipment Policy. However, there is enough misinformation flying about on various forums and social media that some

Hi Torrid, yes, it's 50year old legacy fiberglass, but there are a multitude of nuances, that Turner has alluded to in his video, that we have heard from just about everyone one of the new builders an

hell, I'd build em

Posted Images

A magician was working on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. The audience would be different each week, so the magician allowed himself to do the same tricks over and over again. There was only one problem: The captain’s parrot saw the shows each week and began to understand how the magician did every trick. Once he understood he started shouting in the middle of the show:

“Look, it’s not the same hat.”

“Look, he is hiding the flowers under the table.”

Parrot and pirate jokes“Hey, why are all the cards the Ace of Spades ?”

The magician was furious but couldn’t do anything; it was, after all, the captain’s parrot.

One day the ship had an accident and sank. The magician found himself adrift on a piece of wood in the middle of the ocean with the parrot, of course. They stared at each other with hate, but did not utter a word. This went on for a day, then another, and another.

After a week the parrot said: “OK, I give up. What’d you do with the ship?”

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bored Stiff said:

Man, this thread has turned sour and depressing.  Once upon a time there was discussion, debate and sometimes even good humour. Now, not so much. 

When ? It must of been a long time ago. I’ve been on here in total about  8 years and I’ve seen very little good humour.

On the other hand i think the forum is a lot LESS intimidating place than it was years ago when newbys were picked on mercilessly.:D

I think everyone should get out from behind their computers and do what they say they do, go for a good long hard sail in what ever boat tweaks their passion, and move on.

You should, but then again, you shouldn't, probably not a good idea to go back and read some of the crap you have written, I would be embarrassed!

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Bored Stiff said:

Man, this thread has turned sour and depressing.  Once upon a time there was discussion, debate and sometimes even good humour. Now, not so much. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Why the fuck did you downvote my post about putting together a traveling mob of young sailors  and inviting others to join the fun??

I find when you perpetually piss some one off they'll down vote ANYTHING you post.  LMI, (and possibly others, but I don't pay close enough attention) nails me 95% of the time regardless of the post.  It's SA.  Some shit you just have to ignore.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
On 7/2/2021 at 8:17 AM, RobbieB said:

Rodney Scott's for the BBQ on King Street.

Seafood....man you can't swing a cat down here without hitting a decent option, but Amen Street has the best crab cakes I've ever had outside of MD.  Southern cakes have a tendency to be bready, but not at Amen.  

The Peninsula Grill is hands down my favorite high end dinner experience, (totally local on seafood and veggies)-  Your blue blazer will be great there. 

The Ordinary is good too.  If you're into oysters, (I'm old school and avoid them on months without an "R" in the spelling) but if I have to partake I go to the Rappahannock Oyster Company. 

Thanks Robbie. This was much appreciated.

As for the rest of you nutters, how the hell do you add a page over a 3 day weekend?  Don't you ever sail... or have lives outside of SA? Dang!!

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Wess said:

Thanks Robbie. This was much appreciated.

As for the rest of you nutters, how the hell do you add a page over a 3 day weekend?  Don't you ever sail... or have lives outside of SA? Dang!!

We have had constant intermittent thunderstorms going through for over two weeks. …. With amazingly little actual water falling. 
Anyway, playing with the cell phone while waiting out storms so we can go back out sailing results in lots of posts. 

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

We have had constant intermittent thunderstorms going through for over two weeks. …. With amazingly little actual water falling. 
Anyway, playing with the cell phone while waiting out storms so we can go back out sailing results in lots of posts. 

And at night with a rum in hand is another good time. 

• Like 1

Rum is as good as ILCA is bad! 

Sorry to hear abut the storms halting sailing out there Gouv.  Hope the lake level is hanging in.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I know what I am doing this evening....

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
On 7/6/2021 at 11:23 AM, JulianB said:

I think everyone should get out from behind their computers and do what they say they do, go for a good long hard sail in what ever boat tweaks their passion, and move on.

You should, but then again, you shouldn't, probably not a good idea to go back and read some of the crap you have written, I would be embarrassed!

Is this directed at me, as I am more than happy to stand behind everything I have posted .:D

• Like 1

Any of you lemmings get out sailing tonight?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
5 minutes ago, Wess said:

Went for a blast in my RS Aero this afternoon.

Didn't see a single lemming (ILCA) out sailing at all. Only a nice fleet of RS Zests (used by the town for their junior sailing program.)

• Like 2

Figures. Lemming do more talking and typing than sailing.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

We would have had a great night already had the wind moved a tad more rapidly.   

off to the bar to eat snd tell lies 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Wess said:

Interesting point .

Just wondering how  often DO we all sail ? 

My club sails all year round on sundays so, in a normal year ,I sail about 43 to 47  times out of the 52 weeks in the year . ( some of those missed weeks are club duties so I am still at the club having a laugh ) 

Plus we sail on Wednesday evenings in the summer so that’s about 20 races and I normally only do 6 to 8 of those.

How often does anyone else sail ? 

3 hours ago, Xeon said:

Interesting point .

Just wondering how  often DO we all sail ? 

My club sails all year round on sundays so, in a normal year ,I sail about 43 to 47  times out of the 52 weeks in the year . ( some of those missed weeks are club duties so I am still at the club having a laugh ) 

Plus we sail on Wednesday evenings in the summer so that’s about 20 races and I normally only do 6 to 8 of those.

How often does anyone else sail ? 

We get on the water between 100 and 200 days a year.  But we are lucky to live in an area ideal for it.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Back at ya and on the water in Chucktown @RobbieB. No mask, no plaque... just fun in the sun. :)

• Like 1
On 7/8/2021 at 3:56 AM, Gouvernail said:

On the interest of staying on topic…’

i don’t think Rasty sails 

My home country England is playing Italy in some Euro soccer game that's apparently such a BFD that even Princess Diana's mother-in-law has written a letter to the English manager about it.

My New York Yankees are going for the sweep in Houston after a complete game shutout by Gerrit Cole yesterday.

Mr. Virgin Records is going into space.

Lots of stuff to watch on the TV today. Hell, I'm going sailing in my RS Aero.

• Like 1

The lazy assed trees  are totally sitting still this morning. I guess they don’t care enough about sailing to flap their leaves and wave their branches. 

• Like 1

Breeze in Charleston harbor this morning. And BBQ in the pit since last evening!  Heaven.  I may never leave!!!

• Like 2

Took a ride with my. IND  ILCA #105 sail tonight. Ryan says it. Ame from a light air worlds. It is certainly new enough fir Wednesday night races. 
  I only got to lean off the side of the boat all the way in a couple brief puffs. 
  So far I haven’t been inclined to pull the boom closer than about a foot off the deck. It seems to have plenty of leech tension to put point the old style sail when the boom is still over a foot off the deck.

It will be interesting to set up next to other people in some decent breeze. 

• Like 1

Yea it’s crooked but so is…. Well you know! ;)

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

So @Gouvernail- You get any sailing in?  I am just back from Charleston and dang that town is sweet.  Great breeze, great people and great food.  Freaking heaven!  Its like Naps but with wind!!  And shout out to @RobbieBfor some great recommendations.  Will return the favor in part by saying try This Little Piggy in Summerville and avoid Oscars in same at all cost!

• Like 1
On 7/9/2021 at 5:44 PM, Wess said:

Back at ya and on the water in Chucktown @RobbieB. No mask, no plaque... just fun in the sun. :)

I was racing in the ILCA fleet up the Wando river on Saturday.  Then took off and headed west to KY for the week on Sunday to check out Mammoth Caves and Louisville.    

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RobbieB said:

I was racing in the ILCA fleet up the Wando river on Saturday.  Then took off and headed west to KY for the week on Sunday to check out Mammoth Caves and Louisville.    

Let me know what you think of This Little Piggy if you get there.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Nasty Rasty waited and stalled. Will the estate ever collect?? 

Been a while since I looked but thought Kirby had sold out long ago so if the litigation was successful in the end the money was due PSA no?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wess said:

Been a while since I looked but thought Kirby had sold out long ago so if the litigation was successful in the end the money was due PSA no?

I believe the original case was tossed along those lines.  He came back from a different angle and sued because they were importing boats with his name on them.

Anyway, all this courtroom BS is not the best way to remember the man who gave us 50+ years or Laser sailing.  R.I.P. Mr. Kirby.

• Like 3

I am more of an Ian Bruce fan but either way with both of them gone its a passing of the Torch.

• Like 1

Ohhh and Canada opens up on August  9th. Already got some LPEs down in the land of Robbie. Gotta see if I can get up to Bill’s beautiful neck of the woods. The wife would be into that trip big time!! #TLC

• Like 1

Up date on the LPE boat for sale in the uk.

Still cheap for a year old boat . People still people asking if it’s class legal and does it have a WS plaque . Even though the seller has been open about it NOT being a ILCA.

Still not sold .

On 7/20/2021 at 12:53 AM, Gouvernail said:

Nasty Rasty waited and stalled. Will the estate ever collect?? 

TBD but for those who like to debate coincidences, LP filed its appeal of the judgment to the Second Circuit on Monday, I kid you not.  

5 hours ago, wpbeardsley said:

TBD but for those who like to debate coincidences, LP filed its appeal of the judgment to the Second Circuit on Monday, I kid you not.  

But Clean said they wouldn't and Clean is... oh yea... never mind... an idiot!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
3 hours ago, Metoxi said:

The ILCA is doing very well in the UK, the nationals next month currently has 254 entries. :o

When the war started, I did think it could be the end of the domination of singlehanded sailing by the laser.

Tbh I think it’s done the opposite. 
The class in the uk has been reinvigorated, partly because it has to engage with the wider sailing community to get its message out about what is a class legal boats . :)

• Like 3
On 7/19/2021 at 1:22 PM, Wess said:

Let me know what you think of This Little Piggy if you get there.

I will.  This one is new to me so will check it out

37 minutes ago, Xeon said:

When the war started, I did think it could be the end of the domination of singlehanded sailing by the laser.

Tbh I think it’s done the opposite. 
The class in the uk has been reinvigorated, partly because it has to engage with the wider sailing community to get its message out about what is a class legal boats . :)

I think ILCA’s housecleaning and the appointment of Ovington did a lot for the credibility of the class. Eliminating the lawsuit hungry,  baby-finger-chopping, royalty ignorer was a strong move. 

• Like 7

If talking lawsuit hungry you must be referring to Kirby and PSA.  They are the ones that initiated the lawsuits. 

And then of course WS initiated this FRAND crap that they and ILCA selectively applied jammed down everyone's throat.

Which is a shame because its not good like BBQ is!

Do Canadians even do BBQ?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Wess said:

If talking lawsuit hungry you must be referring to Kirby and PSA.  They are the ones that initiated the lawsuits. 

And then of course WS initiated this FRAND crap that they and ILCA selectively applied jammed down everyone's throat.

Which is a shame because its not good like BBQ is!

Do Canadians even do BBQ?

We just BBQ whale blubber. 

And Rastegar does things the result in him being sued. Several times. This Laser stuff is baby shit compared to his other escapades. 

• Like 4

So I spent about half of 2020 redoing bathrooms and an unplanned living room remodel due to a catastrophic water leak.  Putting the finishing touches on the bar, (still).  Everything is getting into place nicely.  There's usually a bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin up there and of course it's missing a nice bottle of rum from @Wess :P but my recent trip to Kentucky produced some decent bourbon.

laser.jpg

• Like 1

Better chance of Wess getting “ILCA” tattooed on his neck than him paying you your well-deserved rum.

• Like 6

Ha we both share a bottle of Jefferson's ocean bourbon.  Decent stuff.  And I am also sad that I have not yet received the bottle of rum that @RobbieBowes me for losing the bet!

1.) Its not "soon" when it takes 500 days to get a builder

2.) And $10K is not cheaper than $6K

3.) And there still ain't any NA ILCA builder; just somebody importing low quality Chinese ILCA crap which is what this was all about to begin with!

Oh and there is still a lawsuit (and will be more).

And yes Bill the wife and I are thinking of getting our first ink just to freak out the kids!  Be nice; we plan to come visit you next!!

# ILCA Sailors Cheating and Not Paying Off Bets Since 2019

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

As mentioned elsewhere over 200 boats for the Uk ILCA nationals and yet to see a ‘ laser class’ event anywhere . 

The laser class boat for sale on fb did not sell and was withdrawed. Probably because the seller was honest in saying it wasn’t a ILCA class legal boat.

And still people think LPE are the future 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Xeon said:

Do people buy new sunfish ? 

Yes…. But the thread is about Lasers and the knockoff ILCA  and who might build toys for those of us who like to play Laser games. 

On 7/23/2021 at 7:03 AM, Xeon said:

And still people think LPE are the future 

I will ask again.

Who are these “still people?”

27 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Yes…. But the thread is about Lasers and the knockoff ILCA  and who might build toys for those of us who like to play Laser games. 

Really?  I thought it was all about rum and lawsuits and lawnmowers.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So does LP still make boats?  I ask because there is a place that says it sells LP Lasers and the price tag is far less than a new ILCA from the usual places.  Are they non-legal boats in ILCA's view?  Just curious.

4 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

So does LP still make boats?  I ask because there is a place that says it sells LP Lasers and the price tag is far less than a new ILCA from the usual places.  Are they non-legal boats in ILCA's view?  Just curious.

Yes, they do.

LP Lasers are not class legal for ILCA events, so wouldn't be accepted for entry to a qualifier/nationals type event. Clubs may be more accommodating.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, AnIdiot said:

Yes, they do.

LP Lasers are not class legal for ILCA events, so wouldn't be accepted for entry to a qualifier/nationals type event. Clubs may be more accommodating.

To be more precise, newer LP Lasers are not class legal for ILCA events. Older LP Lasers - those with a World Sailing or ISAF plaque - are legal at ILCA events.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, tillerman said:

To be more precise, newer LP Lasers are not class legal for ILCA events. Older LP Lasers - those with a World Sailing or ISAF plaque - are legal at ILCA events.

Ssshhh! You might wake up you-know-who! It has been wonderfully peaceful for the last 6 weeks.

• Like 2

Just ran some numbers for the NA ILCA D12 district based on attendance for regattas so far in 2021 and compared them to 2019, (which was a record year for our district).  

With 2 events left in our annual series we're already beating the 2019 numbers.  This is due to the 4.7 rig explosion we've seen from 4 boats in 2019 to 35 so far in 2021.  

These kids grow so fast some have already transitioned to the Radial rig half way though the season and we've had a couple of radials move up into the full rig.  This is what we've been working for! 

• Like 4
On 9/10/2021 at 3:30 PM, RobbieB said:

Just ran some numbers for the NA ILCA D12 district based on attendance for regattas so far in 2021 and compared them to 2019, (which was a record year for our district).  

With 2 events left in our annual series we're already beating the 2019 numbers.  This is due to the 4.7 rig explosion we've seen from 4 boats in 2019 to 35 so far in 2021.  

These kids grow so fast some have already transitioned to the Radial rig half way though the season and we've had a couple of radials move up into the full rig.  This is what we've been working for! 

PS- D12 ILCA-NA class membership has grown from 42 members EOY 2019 to 98 YTD 2021 as well.

• Like 2
On 9/10/2021 at 3:30 PM, RobbieB said:

You are too modest. This growth is obviously due to the district having an energetic, enthusiastic District Secretary who has done a superb job of growing the class.

• Like 4
On 9/9/2021 at 8:09 AM, Bill5 said:

Ssshhh! You might wake up you-know-who! It has been wonderfully peaceful for the last 6 weeks.

Please.  You silly lemmings are still silly.  And ILCA still sucks.  And ILCAs are still expensive and not built in NA.  :lol:

Just a bit busy as my Mum had a stroke and we are caring for her so my SA play time is usually now spent doing... well... something else LOL!

But even she in her current state is smart enough to not buy ILCA BS!!

• Like 1

Its never going to be safe because ILCA is never going to stop ripping off folks with hidden fees LOL!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
47 minutes ago, Wess said:

Its never going to be safe because ILCA is never going to stop ripping off folks with hidden fees LOL!

Well I retired from Laser sailing for the 5th time and sold my boat. So the L in ILCA is now Lightning for me. My knees have already thanked me! But - that doesn’t change my (correct) position. And I will continue to disagree with, you, Wess. It’s fun. 

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Bill5 said:

Well I retired from Laser sailing for the 5th time and sold my boat. So the L in ILCA is now Lightning for me. My knees have already thanked me! But - that doesn’t change my (correct) position. And I will continue to disagree with, you, Wess. It’s fun. 

It is fun.  And I should have known that an old (and wrong) lemming like you would need the kind of boat where you need others to help you sail it LOL!  :P

PS - On serious note they are fun boats... you racing or playing with it?

• Downvote 1
9 hours ago, Wess said:

I look at this thread once in a while and at least one thing remains consistent, your bullshit about hidden fees. There is nothing hidden about any fees. f there was hidden fees, how do you know about them? Your "problem" is that ILCA gets a fee on the sale of equipment. It is a fee that is well publicised, so is certainly not hidden. It is the model used as part of the funding of the association. Nobody is getting rich from those fees. What you fail to say is what your alternative is. OK, the fees are too high or shouldn't exist. Tell us how you plan to fund and structure the association without those fees and maybe we can have a serious discussion. Until then, you are just a stuck record adding nothing to the debate.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

Need to update my racing Laser hull #208343 for an ILCA hull, most likely go for a PSA boat but will look at landed cost Australia on other builders. Will get my sponsor company to purchase that hull. I will then charter the boat from sponsor, thus in accordance with ILCA rules allowing me to use sail no 9953 which is a laser that I own on a charter boat.

When I'm wearing my judge hat, that ILCA Rule about the sail numbers is the one that gives me most headaches. I wish ILCA would get rid of it. Except at high-ish level events, the tendency amongst the Laser sailors is just to ignore it. People swap and borrow sails, people buy used sails, people buy new sails. I've seen Laser sails at regattas with no numbers, with single digits, with some numbers peeled off to avoid duplicates and so on. In their wish not to ruin the fun at the event, race officials are often forced to turn a blind eye on such breach of a class rule, which makes them feel very uncomfortable.

Why would you feel uncomfortable? The majority of people at the club level ignore ILCA. They have for many years!

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Simple fact in the uk . No class can survive, long term  without a class association. They have to be funded.

ILCA = Alive and well.

’The Laser Class ‘ = Dead :D

• Like 3