ILCA gives LPE the boot... seeking new Laser builder

8 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

After an extensive evaluation process analyzing every single detail of the boat both on and off the water we are glad to announce that The Laser is officially being produced in Portugal! 

WTF did they need to analyse. It's an f##ing Laser. They have been building them in various factories for years. They know the construction method. Or are they trying to say they have changed the boat?

• Like 1
  • Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wess

• tillerman

• Bill5

• RobbieB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no simple way to describe the procedure for complying with World Sailing’s Equipment Policy. However, there is enough misinformation flying about on various forums and social media that some

Hi Torrid, yes, it's 50year old legacy fiberglass, but there are a multitude of nuances, that Turner has alluded to in his video, that we have heard from just about everyone one of the new builders an

hell, I'd build em

Posted Images

9 hours ago, SimonN said:

WTF did they need to analyse. It's an f##ing Laser. 

Well sorta, but what's the betting that not one person from Long Buckby has had any involvement with the new factory, there has been no meaningful skills transfer, and in practice there is no difference between this and a new builder setting out to build Lasers for the first time?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Wavedancer II said:

Something else

Which manufacturer supplied the boats for the current ILCA Worlds?

http://2021-standard-men.laser-worlds.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/24/2021/10/Charter-Boat-Allocation-Rules.pdf

1. There will be three (3) manufacturers providing an equal number of charter boats:

• Devoti

• Nautivela

• Ovington

It would be extremely interesting to do a statistical analysis on the results. Its close to an ideal test for evaluating boat speed. One would hope that ILCA will do/are doing this. If you're reading this ILCA I'd rather like to give it a go if you don't have it in progress.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, JimC said:

It would be extremely interesting to do a statistical analysis on the results. Its close to an ideal test for evaluating boat speed. One would hope that ILCA will do/are doing this. If you're reading this ILCA I'd rather like to give it a go if you don't have it in progress

Looks like a good mix of manufacturers - I did a very quick analysis in Excel and here is a screenshot of the top 30 or so after 3 gold fleet races.

Results as at 09-11-2021 with manufacturer.jpg

• Like 3

This speaks pretty well to ILCA’s commitment to ensure all builders are sticking to the construction manual. There were those that believed some of the boats would be “hotter”. 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, JimC said:

Well sorta, but what's the betting that not one person from Long Buckby has had any involvement with the new factory, there has been no meaningful skills transfer, and in practice there is no difference between this and a new builder setting out to build Lasers for the first time?

Do you really think that Devoti or Ovington did an extensive evaluation process analyzing every single detail of the boat both on and off the water, or do you think they took the build manual and tried to build in accordance with that? Long and short - no amount of analysis of the boat on and/or off the water means anything if you have to build in accordance with the build manual.

In my limited experience of industrial manufacture I wouldn't be surprised if it were possible to follow the build manual and still deliver a p*** poor product. I recall RS' catastrophic attempt at having RS200 hulls built in Brazil.

• Like 1
On 11/7/2021 at 1:48 PM, Gouvernail said:

Years ago, when all this bullshit started with LP, many of us , including Bruce Kirby, suggested we simply change the name of the boat and continue. 
   The ILCA officers saw a way to do what they have done instead. 

In the meantime one thing has remained the same:

North American singlehanded sailing needs a well funded, enthusiastically run, absolutely supportive to the racing game, supplier of inexpensive durable singlehanded one design sailing toys. 

And they still don’t have that LOL!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
1 minute ago, Wess said:

Well that a bad a good affordable sailboat but ILCA killed that Bill!

Wess you are so funny . :D More fake news . The Laser ILCA is more more expensive than it ever has been . 

1 hour ago, Xeon said:

Wess you are so funny . :D More fake news . The Laser ILCA is more more expensive than it ever has been . 

You got that right. The ILCA is absurdly expensive. Such a shame.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
8 hours ago, Wess said:

You got that right. The ILCA is absurdly expensive. Such a shame.

But that’s where your still wrong , again. 
The ILCA is no more expensive than it ever was if you take inflation into account . 

What you are now wanting is a boat cheaper than it’s ever been , if you take inflation into account. And that’s just not possible in the modern world as the whole sailing market shrinks, if you want boat building companies to make a profit.  It’s just not possible with a grp/frp boat , it could be possible with a rotamoulded boat but no one has yet made one  ILCA sized that’s not [email protected]@t . 

The bottom line in the uk is I can not buy any ILCA sized racing  dinghy cheaper than a ILCA.

( RIP ‘ The Laser Class ) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wess said:

LOL, ILCAs are absurdly expensive.  Used to be a grass roots class.  Now all about the elite and Olympics. 

Wess your so funny ,  please keep on  howling at the moon .

Its so entertaining and eventually you might manage to persuade member of the flat earth society around to your point of view . Lol .

The bottom line is the class is better off without LPE and has gone from strength to strength, what ever you ramblings you post on here :D

(  RIP ‘ The Laser Class )

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Xeon said:

Its so entertaining and eventually you might manage to persuade members from all around the world  of the flat earth society around to your point of view . Lol .

The bottom line is the class is better off without LPE and has gone from strength to strength, what ever you ramblings you post on here :D

Nanna fixed it for you

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Xeon said:

Its so entertaining and eventually you might manage to persuade member of the flat earth society around to your point of view . Lol .

Ok, the ILCA has not gone from strength to strength.  As someone who used to be located next to a chandlery that was on the short list for getting Laser parts early, the ILCA sat and dithered for a decade while LP/LPE fucked over every Laser sailor on the planet.  It became so bad that while attending regional and national level ILCA events that the use of 3rd party parts that did not have a Laser logo on them was becoming a common sight and while judges would spike you if they saw it, I noticed that judges stopped random inspections and only inspected the winning boat for each class.  But not even always then.  Several winter Florida events I attended in the Master's classes the winning boats were not inspected as seemed to be the usual in the past, random inspections stopped entirely.

Mean time the ILCA stuck up for no one.  Not the members or even the guy that designed the boat and deserved royalty payments.  I agree that Wess's chickens have flown the coop and his posts are hyperbolic at times, but the ILCA deserves no ones sympathy nor appreciation.  They took a decade to do their job while letting the class members make the shitty decision of attending a major event with a boat that has a non-legal part and the stress and embarrassment that comes with that should it be found out.  I scavenged parts from old Laser's that were heading to the junk yard and gave them out for beers at major events to help people stay legal.  It was hard to get a parts and back-orders could take months, long after your event.

I am on my 4th Laser and still pay my Laser class dues to my local fleet but after watching what the ILCA did to class members and to Bruce I have a hard time paying the ILCA.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Xeon said:

Just trolling for lemmings who think a $10K boat built using an ancient design, materials and techniques is cheap, that hidden fees are a good thing, and have a love for a bloated bureaucracy forever sucking up to an equally incompetent and moronic  WS!  That it is so easy to rile you nutters up with simple truths is a never ending source of amusement.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
1 minute ago, Wess said:

Just trolling for lemmings who think a $10K boat built using an ancient design, materials and techniques is cheap, that hidden fees are a good thing, and have a love for a bloated bureaucracy fovever sucking up to an equally incompetent and moronic  WS!  That it is so easy to rile you nutters up with simple truths is a never ending source of amusement.

Keep howling, like a cut price RKO wolf man :D

( RIP ‘ The laser Class ) 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Foredeck Shuffle said:

Ok, the ILCA has not gone from strength to strength.  As someone who used to be located next to a chandlery that was on the short list for getting Laser parts early, the ILCA sat and dithered for a decade while LP/LPE fucked over every Laser sailor on the planet.  It became so bad that while attending regional and national level ILCA events that the use of 3rd party parts that did not have a Laser logo on them was becoming a common sight and while judges would spike you if they saw it, I noticed that judges stopped random inspections and only inspected the winning boat for each class.  But not even always then.  Several winter Florida events I attended in the Master's classes the winning boats were not inspected as seemed to be the usual in the past, random inspections stopped entirely.

Mean time the ILCA stuck up for no one.  Not the members or even the guy that designed the boat and deserved royalty payments.  I agree that Wess's chickens have flown the coop and his posts are hyperbolic at times, but the ILCA deserves no ones sympathy nor appreciation.  They took a decade to do their job while letting the class members make the shitty decision of attending a major event with a boat that has a non-legal part and the stress and embarrassment that comes with that should it be found out.  I scavenged parts from old Laser's that were heading to the junk yard and gave them out for beers at major events to help people stay legal.  It was hard to get a parts and back-orders could take months, long after your event.

I am on my 4th Laser and still pay my Laser class dues to my local fleet but after watching what the ILCA did to class members and to Bruce I have a hard time paying the ILCA.

Do you think ILCA should have given LP the boot earlier?

• Like 1
Just now, Bill5 said:

Do you think ILCA should have given LP the boot earlier?

At least after it became apparent that LP/LPE were not paying Bruce and the parts issue had gone on for 2-3 years.  The Laser class is far too active and healthy to permit a supplier to deny resources to the class for that long.

• Like 3

They really need an opportunity to remove ILCA though. Contracts and all that.

There was an opportunity when LP broke the contract with Kirby/Global Sailing, but that was when Heini Wellmann was ILCA president, and instead what happened was the fundamental rule change that was pushed through by the then ILCA officers in what some of us saw as a dubious manner. Mr Wellmann was later to be very heavily involved with setting up "TheLaserClass". It appears that the ILCA officers at that time felt it was impractical for the Laser class to proceed without LPE.

There wasn't really another opportunity until LP were foolish enough to break their contract with ILCA, and by then there had been a significant changing of the guard amongst the ILCA officers, and it seems the new officers felt that the support of LP Llc, such as it had been in the intervening period, was no longer essential.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Xeon said:

That’s very similar to my view of the whole Laser/ILCA mess . 

Then you'll appreciate this.  Contacted Bruce Kirby for permission to create and distribute Torch logos to fellow Laser sailors, he gave a very positive response.  I had them made and distributed them up and down the east coast US in 2015.  The funniest place they showed up in was the ILCA annual book as our two fleet captains found a Frostbite photo with 3 boats with the logos on their sails.  Saw it again a year later in a SpinSheet photo of a Laser sailor out in the Bay with the sun setting behind them.  Saw it again in a Narragansett local sailing flyer while visiting the IYAC.

Not sure why, SA site keeps giving errors when uploading a .jpg.

• Like 1

Had 50 of them created, ended up decorating 25 sets of sails.  Looking at it again now, it would have been nice if Bruce had won his legal travails and the Torch rather than the ILCA had become the successor name for the boat.

DSC_0030.png

I so dislike the ILCA logo that I'm going to struggle to buy a new sail.  Fortunately I currently live far from Annapolis and have two nearly brand new class sails so it will be some time before I need to make that change.  Might just peal the ILCA logo off and put on a Torch logo when I do.  Would never be able to sail in a large ILCA event but I might be past caring.

I rarely post photos of myself but for this I should put up or shut up.  As a serial small business owner the Laser fiasco that included Bruce not being paid royalties really ruffled my sense of what is fair.  If I had it to do over again I would have made 500 sets to get them as far and wide as possible.  Thanks to Charlie at Annapolis Quantum sail loft for making this possible, they took a few copies themselves. 

Hey, is that a capsized Moth in the far background?  Never noticed that till now.  Seems it was too light out for a Moth to foil?

DSC_0107.thumb.png.ff6cb3d14aa387bcbbef4bf8c69070e5.png

Sail on Mr. Kirby and thank you for all the smiles.

I wonder where those two Torch's he had made went?

• Like 1
On 11/9/2021 at 12:45 PM, huntsman said:

Looks like a good mix of manufacturers - I did a very quick analysis in Excel and here is a screenshot of the top 30 or so after 3 gold fleet races.

Results as at 09-11-2021 with manufacturer.jpg

PSA, PSJ and Zim notably absent? Especially given 3 Aus/NZ boats in the top 11.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Bored Stiff said:

PSA, PSJ and Zim notably absent? Especially given 3 Aus/NZ boats in the top 11.

Not surprising really. This was a supplied equipment mandatory charter event held in Europe, using boats from the three European ILCA builders.

Boats were allocated to competitors using the process defined in http://2021-standard-men.laser-worlds.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/24/2021/10/Charter-Boat-Allocation-Rules.pdf 

The sailors had no say in who built the boats that were allocated to them.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Foredeck Shuffle said:

Please don't worry about me, I'm fine.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Dex Sawash said:

Torch branding/logo combo is incredibly good and it is a shame it hasn't been adopted yet. 

That is something I suspect most everyone could agree on.  As long as ILCA was going to continue to pay Kirby as they are at least they should have gotten something for it such as the Torch branding.  Got tip my cap to Kirby on that branding.  Sooooo much better than calling the boat an ILCA.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Wess said:

That is something I suspect most everyone could agree on.  As long as ILCA was going to continue to pay Kirby as they are at least they should have gotten something for it such as the Torch branding.  Got tip my cap to Kirby on that branding.  Sooooo much better than calling the boat an ILCA.

What's the deal with the ILCA brand? Does any builder approved by ILCA to make Kirby sailboats have to use the ILCA brand? Or could they market the boats under a sensible brand and still have the boats be legal to sail at ILCA regattas?

• Like 1
On 11/17/2021 at 10:57 AM, Foredeck Shuffle said:

I am on my 4th Laser and still pay my Laser class dues to my local fleet 

How does that work?  What do "fleet" dues cover?  Is the fleet affiliated with a local club, (or number of clubs)?  Or, are you a group of true grass roots sailors that meet at a public boat launch for your outings/events?  Honestly, just curious.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Torch branding/logo combo is incredibly good and it is a shame it hasn't been adopted yet. 

Something makes me think he had it in his hip pocket for many years.  Shame i never got around to ordering one of those nifty belts.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, RobbieB said:

How does that work?  What do "fleet" dues cover?  Is the fleet affiliated with a local club, (or number of clubs)?  Or, are you a group of true grass roots sailors that meet at a public boat launch for your outings/events?  Honestly, just curious.

A fleet designation is required to be permitted to put on an event that is sanctioned by the ILCA, so the fleet pays a yearly due to the ILCA for that right.  I do not know if fleets pay towards their district, I'm guessing they do but do not know that for sure.  Nothing is free so I would guess there has to be some kind of yearly due.  Fleets put on their events and depending upon the size of the event, they may use resources from the fleet account to partially finance an event.  This is especially true of very large events where the cost per sailor would become prohibitive if they were to pay the actual cost with an entry fee.  Often local event costs are covered under your fleet dues and if someone travels to that fleet's event, they pay a nominal entry fee as a non fleet member.  And note this is something many classes do.  I was in a 505 fleet for a while and when they held NA's or Worlds, money was pulled from the account in the form of a grant to the event.  I'm sure others do something similar.

Laser associations are broken down into regions, districts, and fleets.  For regions and districts go to the below link, under the regions you will find the links for the district your fleet is located in and that link should have the fleets in your district.

http://www.laserinternational.org/contacts/

My district and fleet have unfortunate websites as I do not participate in Facebook/Meta so if they do not resend out announcements over email, which happens, I do not see it.

2 hours ago, Foredeck Shuffle said:

A fleet designation is required to be permitted to put on an event that is sanctioned by the ILCA, so the fleet pays a yearly due to the ILCA for that right.  I do not know if fleets pay towards their district, I'm guessing they do but do not know that for sure.  Nothing is free so I would guess there has to be some kind of yearly due.  Fleets put on their events and depending upon the size of the event, they may use resources from the fleet account to partially finance an event.  This is especially true of very large events where the cost per sailor would become prohibitive if they were to pay the actual cost with an entry fee.  Often local event costs are covered under your fleet dues and if someone travels to that fleet's event, they pay a nominal entry fee as a non fleet member.  And note this is something many classes do.  I was in a 505 fleet for a while and when they held NA's or Worlds, money was pulled from the account in the form of a grant to the event.  I'm sure others do something similar.

Laser associations are broken down into regions, districts, and fleets.  For regions and districts go to the below link, under the regions you will find the links for the district your fleet is located in and that link should have the fleets in your district.

http://www.laserinternational.org/contacts/

My district and fleet have unfortunate websites as I do not participate in Facebook/Meta so if they do not resend out announcements over email, which happens, I do not see it.

Interesting- I'm taking it you're not in the US?  We have Districts over here.  I'm currently, (and have been for a few years) the Secretary for ILCA-NA D12.  We pay no dues to ILCA outside of our individual membership fees.  All of our regattas have individual entry fees for boats paid by the sailor, (or their parents).  ILCA will provide some support for District expenses such as an annual schedule mailer and they have a coaching promotion going on now as long as you meet the pre-set criteria.  

Thanks for the insight.

11 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Interesting- I'm taking it you're not in the US?  We have Districts over here.  I'm currently, (and have been for a few years) the Secretary for ILCA-NA D12.  We pay no dues to ILCA outside of our individual membership fees.  All of our regattas have individual entry fees for boats paid by the sailor, (or their parents).  ILCA will provide some support for District expenses such as an annual schedule mailer and they have a coaching promotion going on now as long as you meet the pre-set criteria.  

Thanks for the insight.

I'm in District 11 and perhaps not all fleets collect dues?  I'm not going to name or price out anything because this thread is outright inflammatory and I like most everyone that participates in and that manages the fleets I travel to on the Bay.  I know of three fleets in District 11 that collect yearly dues.  But I also know that they each put on very nice open events, have prizes and trophies that are nice, some hand out water and take trash on the water, and some even have an open cooler or keg at times.  Laser open and high end events are some of the most civil sailing I have done in the eleven fleets I have been active in over the years.  So I have never seen their dues as a barrier.

The ILCA on the other hand, seeing as how it collects cash when you purchase a class legal autobailer,  boom block, or fairlead, feels like an unhelpful part of the class.  But I don't travel much right now so I don't have anything more to add to that.

I’ve never heard of this happening in the uk. 
But then again it’s been 30 years since I was a class member and nearly five years since I sold my last Laser so I am not exactly in the loop. 

47 minutes ago, Foredeck Shuffle said:

I'm in District 11 and perhaps not all fleets collect dues?  I'm not going to name or price out anything because this thread is outright inflammatory and I like most everyone that participates in and that manages the fleets I travel to on the Bay.  I know of three fleets in District 11 that collect yearly dues.  But I also know that they each put on very nice open events, have prizes and trophies that are nice, some hand out water and take trash on the water, and some even have an open cooler or keg at times.  Laser open and high end events are some of the most civil sailing I have done in the eleven fleets I have been active in over the years.  So I have never seen their dues as a barrier.

The ILCA on the other hand, seeing as how it collects cash when you purchase a class legal autobailer,  boom block, or fairlead, feels like an unhelpful part of the class.  But I don't travel much right now so I don't have anything more to add to that.

Ok.  I think I follow now.  Here- Yacht Clubs host events.  We don't have designated fleets, (like fleet 11 in Charleston, SC like J24's do) but we do have groups that are typically associated with a club.  So, when clubs host events they charge entry fees which typically run around $50.00 per sailor.  This covers all sailing, grounds use, RC support, water on the course, morning breakfast spreads and 1 dinner.  I can see the fleet model working for places that have public water access without a yacht club involved.  Is that the case in your district?

On 11/8/2021 at 11:04 AM, Gouvernail said:

Posted one hour ago on their Facebook page:

After an extensive evaluation process analyzing every single detail of the boat both on and off the water we are glad to announce that The Laser is officially being produced in Portugal! 

#laser #laserperformanceboats #laserperformance

0BF7BE2C-CA53-4718-A4B2-577CAB6206DC.jpeg

Wow- they built 4!  Only enough money for even bow numbers I guess?  Must not have had a #7 lying around...

• Like 1
On 11/17/2021 at 11:51 AM, Wess said:

Just trolling for lemmings who think a $10K boat built using an ancient design, materials and techniques is cheap, that hidden fees are a good thing, and have a love for a bloated bureaucracy forever sucking up to an equally incompetent and moronic  WS!  That it is so easy to rile you nutters up with simple truths is a never ending source of amusement.

You are so right.  Wonder what the folks in the Sunfish class are thinking these days......?

• Like 1
On 11/9/2021 at 10:19 PM, SimonN said:

Do you really think that Devoti or Ovington did an extensive evaluation process analyzing every single detail of the boat both on and off the water, or do you think they took the build manual and tried to build in accordance with that? Long and short - no amount of analysis of the boat on and/or off the water means anything if you have to build in accordance with the build manual.

Well they didn't but ILCA made them build and then cut apart 10 hulls to make sure they were all consistent and within the build manual tolerances.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Foredeck Shuffle said:

IThe ILCA on the other hand, seeing as how it collects cash when you purchase a class legal autobailer,  boom block, or fairlead,

Are you sure they do that? See http://www.laserinternational.org/blog/2020/08/24/overview-of-ilca-finances/ There's an awful lot of fake news on the subject of CA royalties. Don't forget one characteristic of a troll is that they make up stuff.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, JimC said:

Are you sure they do that? See http://www.laserinternational.org/blog/2020/08/24/overview-of-ilca-finances/ There's an awful lot of fake news on the subject of CA royalties. Don't forget one characteristic of a troll is that they make up stuff.

And:

http://www.laserinternational.org/blog/2020/08/25/overview-of-ilca-finances-part-2/

Anything for which there is a QR code. It’s all been tallied before in earlier pages.

33 minutes ago, JimC said:

After reading the details thoroughly the transparency is refreshing.  I have dug around the site before and didn't find these pages.  This is positive and I guess the current management knows the value of posting information like this.

I didn't see anything that indicates that the ILCA takes income from the sale of parts, so it's correct to say there are none except the vang which is only $7 (how odd), spars, foils, and obviously the hull.  I also support the class sails being a 100% mark up, the class needs cash to operate and practice sails are permitted in most beer can style racing at clubs so everyone gets what they need there.

There are still the issues of substandard blocks and their availability (easily solved by using off the shelf blocks), sail design, and a rig that is sorely in need of modernization.  Hopefully some day a single handed, modern design boat comes along that people realize is worth switching to, at least where ever I live.  I could handle having both and traveling the Laser when I really want a big fleet.  Just tired of the Laser but want a good one design single handed boat.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Foredeck Shuffle said:

Hopefully some day a single handed, modern design boat comes along that people realize is worth switching to, at least where ever I live.  I could handle having both and traveling the Laser when I really want a big fleet.  Just tired of the Laser but want a good one design single handed boat.

Where do you live @Foredeck Shuffle?

• Like 1
22 hours ago, tillerman said:

The comments by @Foredeck Shuffle struck a chord. Exactly what I was feeling back in 2014.

Chesapeake Bay, was in Annapolis for 25+ years which is known as the place old one designs go to die.  The only new OD's that come into Annapolis early are pre-pended with a J/.

I have test sailed an RS Aero 7 & 9, loved the 9, understand the 7.  Only thing about that boat I would change is the vang to a gnav.

I tried a Melges 14 as well and it was wonderful in a slightly different way than the Aero.  It felt more powerful, the Aero more nimble and responsive.  But it fails with the sleeved sail compared to the Aero, and it also should also have been a gnav rather than a vang.

Both boats could have had a better designed mast that was more responsive but both are 40 years better than a 2021 XD carbon race Laser.

Alas there is only a single M14 and no Aero's on the Bay.  At my current club I have a standing offer to buy an Aero the same day anyone decides to buy one as well.  Until then I do things like this when OD is not an option.  There is no clew strap on the C8 because I hadn't cut one yet, a bit larger than the Laser clew strap.

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Foredeck Shuffle said:

Chesapeake Bay, was in Annapolis for 25+ years which is known as the place old one designs go to die.  The only new OD's that come into Annapolis early are pre-pended with a J/.

I have test sailed an RS Aero 7 & 9, loved the 9, understand the 7.  Only thing about that boat I would change is the vang to a gnav...

Alas there are no Aero's on the Bay.  At my current club I have a standing offer to buy an Aero the same day anyone decides to buy one as well.  

Yeah. I am aware that Chesapeake Bay, including Annapolis, is a bit of an Aero desert. Shame. Would be a great place to host a fleet.

I was lucky in being able to persuade two friends to join me in buying Aeros back in 2015. In the meantime, your offer to buy an Aero if anyone in the club decides to join you is probably the next best thing. Good luck!

Or you could try and persuade folk in your club to charter RS Aeros for a week of racing in Florida this winter. https://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=event&eid=2261