ILCA gives LPE the boot... seeking new Laser builder

2 hours ago, tillerman said:

I haven't see the latest ILCANAR newsletter but here is the ad from Intensity Sails in one of the 2019 newsletters.

710279828_ScreenShot2020-06-19at7_18_34AM.thumb.png.a68835fd660e84f41b5059e9a4f1ce1c.png

Intensity Sail sells a lot of gear that is class legal for Laser racing, as well as their very popular Laser "practice" sails.

Whats your point?

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wess

• tillerman

• Bill5

• RobbieB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no simple way to describe the procedure for complying with World Sailing’s Equipment Policy. However, there is enough misinformation flying about on various forums and social media that some

Hi Torrid, yes, it's 50year old legacy fiberglass, but there are a multitude of nuances, that Turner has alluded to in his video, that we have heard from just about everyone one of the new builders an

hell, I'd build em

Posted Images

2 hours ago, JMP said:

I wouldn't mind intensity making Aero "practice" sails for a similar price to their Laser sails, I'd use one of those in club racing for sure...  I am glad the genuine RS North sail price has remained flat in Australia over the last 5 years so it's still cheaper than the MKII Laser sail

Laser Sail - Standard Mark II (Hyde)

LaserPerformance

$650.00

RS Aero 9 Sail

RS Sailing

$892.00

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bill5 said:

You might be right! Every time I type "ILCA" the thing shuts off!

Your phone company didn't pay the hidden fees to ILCA. 

• Like 6
33 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Your phone company didn't pay the hidden fees to ILCA. 

hahahahaha!!!!

The failure to pay ILCA hidden fees are responsible for many ills of the world.

The potential solution is to pay the hidden fees with hidden payments. 

Hidden Fees Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

• Like 2
2 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Right about now the guys from Intensity are starting the drool over Aero knock off sails.  And so it begins......

Robbie's "guys from Intensity" have already been busy figuring out opportunities to market products to RS Aero sailors. 

Intensity Sails currently offer about 50 items for the RS Aero. None of them are sails.

I am pretty sure that they are all class legal.

They include such items as...

Over Deck Control Line Conversion Kit - https://www.intensitysails.com/insabanydeco.html

Nylon Deck Cover - https://www.intensitysails.com/insabanydeco.html 

Tack Tick Compass Mount - https://www.intensitysails.com/natatidemofo.html

SeaDek Foam Decking - https://www.intensitysails.com/rsaeseadefod.html - do check which colors are class legal.

etc.

etc.

etc.

28 minutes ago, tillerman said:

They include such items as...
SeaDek Foam Decking - https://www.intensitysails.com/rsaeseadefod.html - do check which colors are class legal.

Class legal colors?  Man sounds like the worm is turning at the Aero class....

Sorry, it's late on a Friday and I'm ready for the weekend.  We're actually having a regatta in town that will have a decent ILCA class.  Lots of folks coming up from Florida for our first COVID regatta of 2020.  It's not a district event so I won't play class police but will let you know if we see any of the LPE "class buster" boats.  I will be sure to have a conversation with those owners if we see any. 

Figured I'd razz on Aero a little.... Just poking fun. 

8 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Class legal colors?  Man sounds like the worm is turning at the Aero class....

Sorry, it's late on a Friday and I'm ready for the weekend.  We're actually having a regatta in town that will have a decent ILCA class.  Lots of folks coming up from Florida for our first COVID regatta of 2020.  It's not a district event so I won't play class police but will let you know if we see any of the LPE "class buster" boats.  I will be sure to have a conversation with those owners if we see any. 

Figured I'd razz on Aero a little.... Just poking fun. 

I know. What does it matter if you jazz up your Aero a bit with a creative color scheme? 

Padding of maximum thickness of 3mm may be stuck (using adhesive) to the (i) cockpit floor and/or (ii) deck adjacent the centreboard case, but if it is, it must cover the entirety of the non-slip in that area and follow the outline of that non-slip. Any padding must be single colour black, white or grey. It may not contain any logo other than RS.

Good luck with the regatta this weekend.

3 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Right about now the guys from Intensity are starting the drool over Aero knock off sails.  And so it begins......

Market is not there yet. Intensity has only a few items such as covers, dolly, trailer, one upgrade, that are specific only to the AERO. Not much there for the grass roots sailor such as cheaper spars, blades, etc .  Might get there some day. https://www.intensitysails.com/partsforrsaero.html

1 hour ago, tillerman said:

I know. What does it matter if you jazz up your Aero a bit with a creative color scheme? 

Padding of maximum thickness of 3mm may be stuck (using adhesive) to the (i) cockpit floor and/or (ii) deck adjacent the centreboard case, but if it is, it must cover the entirety of the non-slip in that area and follow the outline of that non-slip. Any padding must be single colour black, white or grey. It may not contain any logo other than RS.

Oh my word.  Style police.  Seriously?

34 minutes ago, JMP said:

From Westcoast there's a $38 difference between them for the sail and batten set :)

Those prices are from westcoast

Both the Full rig and the ( are the larges sail for each boat 

Battens for the laser  full rig add 64.00  bringing the price to 714.00

Or the North 604.00 plus  64.00 battens 

Smallest sail for each boat 

Laser 4.7, 574.00 plus 32.00 for battens  606.00

Aero 5,  740.00

Medium sail for each boat 

Aero 7, 752.00

Laser Radial 604.00 plus 32.00 for battens  636.00

8 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Those prices are from westcoast for Largest sail each boat

Battens for the laser add 64.00  bringing the price to 714.00

why would you quote the 9m Aero sail instead of the 7m which is closer in dimension to the Laser Full rig and $752?

Like I originally stated, it's still cheaper here to buy the comparable aero sail, the Carbon Mast sections are cheaper too if that matters :P

FWIW, it's WAY cheaper to buy a Laser MKII sail in Europe or the US compared to Australia

image.thumb.png.f4c6d36699d33498746e5c3a88d0b62d.png

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, sosoomii said:

£529 for Aero 9 in the UK vs £563 for an ILCA 7 sail (including 15% discount currently available, otherwise £663).

Yeah, the 9 rig is almost the same price as an ICLA7 here in Australia, $28.90AUD difference when both have battens supplied :)

Changing the subject slightly...

What do you think about when you are sailing?

1. Hidden fees
2. The price of sails
3. Prizes
4. Newsletters
5. Swag
6. Sailing
7. None of the above.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Changing the subject slightly...

What do you think about when you are sailing?

1. Hidden fees
2. The price of sails
3. Prizes
4. Newsletters
5. Swag
6. Sailing
7. None of the above.

When I am racing - 7. When I am just bombing around - probably just 6. from the list. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sosoomii said:

£529 for Aero 9 in the UK vs £563 for an ILCA 7 sail (including 15% discount currently available, otherwise £663).

Min wage in Sri Lanka is about GBP2.50. I am thinking people here should be beating up on North Sails and not so much ILCA. 

• Like 4

On day 451 of this PSA monopoly, brought to you by ILCA and WS, I just have to ask....

* Doesn't anyone sail on weekends anymore?

• Like 5
  • Downvote 1
On 6/19/2020 at 3:09 PM, tillerman said:

Probably just want to maintain brand consistency.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Wess said:

On day 451 of this PSA monopoly, brought to you by ILCA and WS, I just have to ask....

* Doesn't anyone sail on weekends anymore?

Old Yeller and I raced this weekend.  He stuck it to us.  Check out the results on the "Everything Positively Laser" thread.

• Like 1

Always nice to sail. But when was/is the vote to change do away with the LASER and adopt the ILCA boaty thingy. Is that going to be “soon” too?! :P

• Like 4

On another note there were NO new LPE "fake/no plaque Lasers" at our event this past weekend.  I saw one ILCA Full Rig sail and one ILCA hull on the course.  News around the district is we've acquired at least 2 new ILCA hull owners this spring so far, but the word must be out, (or at least hopefully is) in the LPE "poser" class boats. 

Last year we averaged 1- 4.7 rig per regatta.  This year we have 7+ registered for the first 2 COVID season events.

Radials are of to a strong start at 15 this weekend and more for the next event.

We've had 3-4 Radial sailors, (Jr sailors) from last year transition up to the full rig.  This has been a struggle getting the younger kids to stick when they size out of the Radial, but it's happening!

I hooked up another new D12 Master sailor with a nice local used boat yesterday.  Our growth continues!

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Until such time as the International Laser Class Association amends  Constitution and rules, ILCA  is not a Class Legal Sail insignia.

THIS!

It should be printed out in bold and posted on notice board at every Laser regatta.

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, ojfd said:

THIS!

It should be printed out in bold and posted on notice board at every Laser regatta.

Why would you want to penalize the sailors? 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

.summary:

I appreciate your enthusiasm and love of our shared favorite game.

I abhor your failure to abide by the rules 

I abide by all the rules. 

17 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Who gets to decide which rules are ignored at your regattas??  The ILCA sail has a class approved button on it and is from a class approved supplier so it's legal.  Since the advertising rules flew out the window years ago we can put any graphic on the sail we wish.  Rules we are letting slide currently are for non-class legal sails and/or knock off upgrade parts.  As a district we have decided together what rules we're willing to bend and for what events.  We discuss this annually at our EOY district meeting and/or via chain e-mail when a situation comes up.  So far so good, but, (as you know) the situation is fluid.

Will all cheaters be welcomed at your events or just those who cheat in some special way? Only the special ones ;-)

By what authority are these cheater sails allowed to participate? See answer to first question.

As I've said before, as a district, we are drawing lines.  Some of them may be a little crooked at the moment.  However, what we are doing currently, (and over the past 3 years) has proven pretty darn successful at getting butts in boats.  At least in our district.  It's not perfect, but as long as our players are happy we'll continue forward.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, ojfd said:

THIS!

Has anyone seen the "Laser" sails used at the world championship series events.  No ILCA or Laser insignia...

• Like 1
On 6/20/2020 at 5:26 PM, Gouvernail said:

Did I leave the headlights on? 

I think so. 

You might have been distracted by a cat.

The battery is probably dead now.

1 hour ago, RobbieB said:

As I've said before, as a district, we are drawing lines.  Some of them may be a little crooked at the moment.  However, what we are doing currently, (and over the past 3 years) has proven pretty darn successful at getting butts in boats.  At least in our district.  It's not perfect, but as long as our players are happy we'll continue forward.

This looks very fair, Robbie. The key really is the agreement of your membership. We haven't had to deal with this here, at least not yet. And I don't see how LPE will suddenly think sending boats to Western Canada is any kind of a priority. Note the actual sailors here have been pretty much ignoring all the ILCA issues that have commanded so much attention in DA and are carrying on with their sailing lives. New boats will be ILCA Dinghies and no one will give a toss. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Gouvernail said:

Gentlemen... Your comments endorse vigilantism. I fully agree with the vigilantes’ goal of making new equipment available. 
We play a game defined by a set of rules. Our game managing Association is defined by a Constitution and has a set of rules.

The vigilantes have decided their mission is do profoundly important they  are excused from the obligation to make any attempt to abide by the Constitution or rules.

It wouldn’t Inhibit the attainment ofbtge supply goals one scintilla to properly amend the Constitition so it allows the necessary changes.

Instead of making changes according to the Constitution and rules, the vigilantes are doing whatever they damn well please with absolute disregard for the Constitution and rules.

Currently the vigilantes have gathered input about creation of a new Constitution and rules.

Why bother? The official position of those same vigilantes is, “Constitutions and rules are irrelevant.”

3 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Gentlemen... Your comments endorse vigilantism. I fully agree with the vigilantes’ goal of making new equipment available. 
We play a game defined by a set of rules. Our game managing Association is defined by a Constitution and has a set of rules.

The vigilantes have decided their mission is do profoundly important they  are excused from the obligation to make any attempt to abide by the Constitution or rules.

It wouldn’t Inhibit the attainment ofbtge supply goals one scintilla to properly amend the Constitition so it allows the necessary changes.

Instead of making changes according to the Constitution and rules, the vigilantes are doing whatever they damn well please with absolute disregard for the Constitution and rules.

Currently the vigilantes have gathered input about creation of a new Constitution and rules.

Why bother? The official position of those same vigilantes is, “Constitutions and rules are irrelevant.”

I hate to pick at this old scab, and I can say with absolute certainty that I am going to regret this,  but we need to remember exactly what ILCA told everyone when the vote commenced:

"Vote “YES” today to make sure our class remains in the Olympics, to ensure the supply of class-legal equipment in ALL parts of the world, and to give control of our class to the sailors, not the commercial parties.

This is NOT a vote to change the name of the class. The class will continue to operate as always as the International Laser Class Association. This is only a vote to ensure that new builders can enter the market, and only if necessary, sell class-legal equipment under an alternate brand name."

And, the "only if necessary" action became a necessity due to trademark issues. ILCA did not want to do it, and it really wasn't a decision at all - it was enforced upon them. 

And -  those who didn't want the boat in the Olympics etc. had the option to vote "NO". Which, as it turned out, was the minority. It is unfortunate the Euros weren't advised by EurILCA/didn't understand/didn't care/didn't take it seriously/didn't dig too deeply/don't read DA etc etc, as maybe the vote could have been more broadly geographically represented. 

So, I don't consider ILCA vigilantes, nor do I consider their actions to have been vigilant. And I certainly won't ever think I am supporting a vigilante initiative as I do my grass-roots Laser sailing thing. And events like the Easter Laser Regatta will continue on (I hope)!

• Like 3

Twenty Five Lasers on our Tuesday Night Laser racing series starting line last night in Park City, Utah. 

The rumor of the death of the Laser is greatly exaggerated. ;)  

Since it's a current topic, we allow practice sails in our Tuesday night series.  It's not a class sanctioned event and some people need to save the extra dough but we've found that most have moved away from the practice sails as the legal ones have a better sail shape.  We also have some sailors who buy one or two new sails a year for their regatta traveling and have been donating their sails which work great for our charter boats so the practice sail, "problem", is not really a problem.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

We voted to remove the requirement that a builder have permission to use the Laser IP stuff 

There has been no vote to change the constitution or rules to allow other names. 

I do not see how the class vote established  anything other than the following:

The class no longer officially cares whether the builder has the rights to use the IP. 

The class has not yet made it possible for any other boats than trademark lasers to be used 

I contend  that it takes a few more votes to accomplish that which we wish to accomplish

As suspected, I am regretting...

ILCA can use the Laser trademark, but only in reference to the Class Association.  

The Constitution has not been changed. The rules have - as the result of the vote.  Note the new rules only use the word Laser as described above. It is now just "the boat". 

Legal boats are those built by an approved builder as defined - which picks up the legacy boats and new ILCA boats.. As such, this makes it possible for boats other than trademarked Laser boats to be used.  So other brand names are allowed - as ILCA told everyone might happen.

Interesting to note there is no mention in the new rules nor the old rules regarding the logo on the sail.  They just need to be stamped. 

So with all this, you are free to stick with vigilante, but I can't agree. But that's OK. 

• Like 4
On 6/23/2020 at 9:13 AM, RobbieB said:

Our growth continues!

I had another parent contact me after the regatta saying their kid would like to sail a 4.7, asking how we could get that going....

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

I contend  that it takes a few more votes to accomplish that which we wish to accomplish

I believe you are correct here and I believe it is currently being worked on.

• Like 1

I believe you are correct here and I believe it is currently being worked on.

Be interesting to see if they actually do this and if it gets voted on by the class. And what would the class do if the vote failed... there really is no way to go back?

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Wess said:

Be interesting to see if they actually do this and if it gets voted on by the class. And what would the class do if the vote failed... there really is no way to go back?

I think the bigger question is, "what would we go back to?".  What's your definition of "back"?

18 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

I think the bigger question is, "what would we go back to?".  What's your definition of "back"?

Back to the good old days when Lasers were real Lasers and there was a class that supported grass roots sailing and the Laser wasn't in the Olympics so there were no full-rime professional Laser sailors and a woman could win a Laser North Americans and real Laser sailors drove their real Lasers to regattas and raced without the aid of coach boats and mommy boats.

Hey! Get off my grass Tiller!!! :D

And yea you and I agree Robbie. If they ever did put it to a fair vote I don’t see what the path is if the vote came back as no to the constitutional changes that Gouv is calling for. Don’t misunderstand; I absolutely agree with him. Said so many many pages ago. Anyone who could fog a mirror knew that LPE would never be able to come back and so the ILCA boat name and death of the Laser name and brand was not a threat. It was reality from day 1; 450 plus days ago.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Wess said:

Hey! Get off my grass Tiller!!! :D

And yea you and I agree Robbie. If they ever did put it to a fair vote I don’t see what the path is if the vote came back as no to the constitutional changes that Gouv is calling for. Don’t misunderstand; I absolutely agree with him. Said so many many pages ago. Anyone who could fog a mirror knew that LPE would never be able to come back and so the ILCA boat name and death of the Laser name and brand was not a threat. It was reality from day 1; 450 plus days ago.

It's enough to drive a fellow to go RS Aero sailing.

5 hours ago, tillerman said:

Back to the good old days when Lasers were real Lasers and there was a class that supported grass roots sailing and the Laser wasn't in the Olympics so there were no full-rime professional Laser sailors and a woman could win a Laser North Americans and real Laser sailors drove their real Lasers to regattas and raced without the aid of coach boats and mommy boats.

I honestly don't recall "the class" supporting (undefined) grass roots sailing going back as far as 1974. Lots of District support, though. But I do recall a woman NA champ in 1980. And the rest of your narrative I lived fully. Driving 24 hours straight to Santa Cruz a couple times for PCCs, plenty of 12 hour jaunts to Vancouver, several trips east to a variety of prairie ponds... No coaches, no coach boats, and a strong social aspect to the whole thing. Pining for the "good old days" is what older people do. When they (we) aren't punching the keys on various blogs...

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Bill5 said:

Pining for the "good old days" is what older people do. When they (we) aren't punching the keys on various blogs...

I suppose some folk get tired of "pining" and go off and find another class that has all the wonderful things that we enjoyed about Laser sailing in the good old days. The rewards of building a new class. No elite full time professional sailors. No mommy boats. Everyone helping each other to improve. A class that supports the grass roots. A builder whose senior executives travel thousands of miles to hang out with ordinary sailors at regattas.  World championships that are family friendly affairs attended by all ages, genders and abilities of sailors.

I wonder if such a thing exists in the world today.

1 hour ago, Bill5 said:

I honestly don't recall "the class" supporting (undefined) grass roots sailing going back as far as 1974.

You are probably right. It never was like that in Lasers. I was getting mixed up with another class.

• Like 2

Ok tillerman here’s what you do. You need to buy yourself a big bag of weed, dust off the old Laser, and hit the road. Things really aren’t so bad out there in Laser land. Lots of people of all skill levels talking and helping each other, the elite sailors are actually very laid back and eager to spread the knowledge, and the mommies are getting younger and better looking every year. If you’re nice some of them will refill your water bottle between races.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Old Yeller said:

Ok tillerman here’s what you do. You need to buy yourself a big bag of weed, dust off the old Laser, and hit the road. Things really aren’t so bad out there in Laser land. Lots of people of all skill levels talking and helping each other, the elite sailors are actually very laid back and eager to spread the knowledge, and the mommies are getting younger and better looking every year. If you’re nice some of them will refill your water bottle between races.

Just back from Thursday night racing - 15 or so Lasers and Radials as the Club opens up a bit wider. Sailors who have competed at the highest level down to newbies. Laser sails, a few Intensity's and a new one I haven't seen before. I bet there were even a few Intensity foils. Nobody cares.  4 short course races. Probably the same number of Optis out as well on their smaller course. All good fun! A bunch are heading to a fun "marathon" at a reservoir close to the Rockies on Saturday. Big wind funnel pretty much guarantees decent breeze - often 20 with gusts to 30. Lemans start at a campground - 6.5 miles upwind to another campground in a windless bay for lunch (full kinetics allowed in the bay area). First boots on shore wins the first leg. Light lunch then 6.5 miles straight downwind - as the wind peaks for the day. No race committee, no nonsense, no need for an international organization to help out.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Bill5 said:

Just back from Thursday night racing - 15 or so Lasers and Radials as the Club opens up a bit wider. Sailors who have competed at the highest level down to newbies. Laser sails, a few Intensity's and a new one I haven't seen before. I bet there were even a few Intensity foils. Nobody cares.  4 short course races. Probably the same number of Optis out as well on their smaller course. All good fun! A bunch are heading to a fun "marathon" at a reservoir close to the Rockies on Saturday. Big wind funnel pretty much guarantees decent breeze - often 20 with gusts to 30. Lemans start at a campground - 6.5 miles upwind to another campground in a windless bay for lunch (full kinetics allowed in the bay area). First boots on shore wins the first leg. Light lunch then 6.5 miles straight downwind - as the wind peaks for the day. No race committee, no nonsense, no need for an international organization to help out.

That sounds fun Bill.

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Old Yeller said:

You need to buy yourself a big bag of weed, dust off the old Laser, and hit the road. 

Had my annual physical yesterday.  Nurse asked if I was doing anything outside of alcohol.  I told her "not yet, but I've been giving it serious consideration lately."  She about blew her mask off laughing....

• Like 1
4 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Had my annual physical yesterday.  Nurse asked if I was doing anything outside of alcohol.  I told her "not yet, but I've been giving it serious consideration lately."  She about blew her mask off laughing....

What about Dinghy Anarchy? That is an addiction for sure. And at times, it sure seems hallucinogenic. It also can provoke fits of anger and dIsorientation.  I can give you some examples, but they are obvious...

• Like 3

Four hundred and sixty days!

How long can they go LOL.

Geeze; even I would have taken the under on 460 days.... and lost.

How does 460 work as an over/under on fees? 

I am taking over!

Wow

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1
2 hours ago, Wess said:

Four hundred and sixty days!

How long can they go LOL.

Geeze; even I would have taken the under on 460 days.... and lost.

How does 460 work as an over/under on fees? 

I am taking over!

Wow

Bill5: blah blah blah what support for the grass roots?

Wess: blah blah blah lemming!

Bill5: Blah blah blah

Wess : blah blah blah

There. Saved us some time!

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Emilio Castelli said:

Great video. Listen to that hum!  Bet if the trailing edge of the dagger board had some "repair" work done you could break the 14 knot barrier in that breeze....The upside is you know you're moving when that hum kicks in and it's a little more exciting.  When it's gone it does take some of the theatrics out of it....

Great video. Listen to that hum!  Bet if the trailing edge of the dagger board had some "repair" work done you could break the 14 knot barrier in that breeze....The upside is you know you're moving when that hum kicks in and it's a little more exciting.  When it's gone it does take some of the theatrics out of it....

I did 14 with a full rig a few days earlier in similar conditions but pressed the wrong button and erased it so I don't have a picture to prove it. I doubt fixing the hum would make that much of a difference though.

E

• Like 1
19 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Easy to get rid of the hum.  Just sand the trailing edge with an asymmetrical finish side to side.  It will not have any measurable impact on speed though.  You can definitely get a stock Laser over 14 knots SOG.  Not sure about an ILCA though.  Rumor has it the ILCAs top out at 9 knots and self destruct if pushed over 10.  B)

2. A rope handle passing through not more than two holes of maximum diameter 12.5 mm above a line drawn from the bottom of the centreboard stop, parallel to the top of the centreboard is permitted. A plastic/rubber tube and/or tape are permitted on the handle of the centreboard.
  3. The trailing edge of the centreboard may be sharpened by sanding the blade between the trailing edge and a line 100 mm parallel to the trailing edge, provided the distance between the leading edge and the trailing edge of the blade is not reduced.
  4. Surface refinishing of the centreboard is permitted provided the original shape, thickness and characteristics are not altered.
  5. One layer of any material of maximum 2mm thickness and of a maximum size of 30mm x 30mm may be applied at the top front corner of the centreboard case. Vertical cuts are allowed in the material to allow the material to conform to the shape of the centreboard case.
  6. A wood centreboard shall not be used on a hull that was originally supplied with a non wood centreboard.
  7. A tie line or shock cord shall be attached to the small hole in the upper forward corner of the centreboard, and any of the bow eye, the cunningham fairlead, the “Builder Supplied” deck block fitting and the mast to prevent loss of the centreboard in event of a capsize. The tie line or shock cord may be looped around the bow, but shall not be attached to the gunwale. Attachment can be by knots or loops in the shock cord, and/or tie lines, shackles, clips, hooks or eyes. When the shock cord is attached to the bow eye it may also pass through an attachment to the “Builder Supplied” deck block fitting or the cunningham fairlead.
  8. The components of the “Builder Supplied” centreboard stopper may be secured together by glue, screws, bolts, nuts and washers, provided the original shape and dimensions are not reduced.

https://www.laserinternational.org/rules-and-regulations/laser-class-rules/

@Gouvernail - Yea but my experience has been that even brand new foils will will hum on the boat and reshaping is (rightly) not allowed by the class. I believe you can tweak the trailing edge without issue.  Still wouldn't waste my time.  Don't think its gonna slow you down and beside its a nice audible indicator that its "fun time."

But maybe ILCA can offer reshaped non humming foils along with the new rigs and charge double for them!!  And I think they get fees on these as well so it would be a double win for them LOL.

3 hours ago, Wess said:

@Gouvernail - Yea but my experience has been that even brand new foils will will hum on the boat and reshaping is (rightly) not allowed by the class. I believe you can tweak the trailing edge without issue.  Still wouldn't waste my time.  Don't think its gonna slow you down and beside its a nice audible indicator that its "fun time."

But maybe ILCA can offer reshaped non humming foils along with the new rigs and charge double for them!!  And I think they get fees on these as well so it would be a double win for them LOL.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

Nothing wrong with DInah-Moe Humm, as long as the sister holds the $40.  Besides, its gotta Tina Turner and the Ikettes backing him up!

• Like 2
On 7/2/2020 at 8:48 AM, tillerman said:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

For the foil to hmmmmmmmm, it has to use energy and that comes from you, or more to the point, it's slowing you down.

I remember wires "starting to harmonic" on a 18teen in 1993 and it took atleast a knot of the speed going up wind.

Easyiest way to stop it, champher your TE at 30°, especially towards the tip, it will trip a tiny vortex that will remain stable on one side and no more hmmmming!

2 hours ago, JulianB said:

For the foil to hmmmmmmmm, it has to use energy and that comes from you, or more to the point, it's slowing you down.

I remember wires "starting to harmonic" on a 18teen in 1993 and it took atleast a knot of the speed going up wind.

Easyiest way to stop it, champher your TE at 30°, especially towards the tip, it will trip a tiny vortex that will remain stable on one side and no more hmmmming!

At those speeds, a little hummmmm is the least of your worries. I've been warned to not look at the rig, the mast bend does your head in.

So I take a look anyway.