LIS Cruisers - how much anchor rode do you carry?

freewheelin

We are looking to do more cruising this summer, and need to purchase some anchor rode. Hoping to take advantage of the defender sale. Hoping to hear some advice on how much rode Long Island Sound cruisers are carrying. Cruising grounds will (eventually) be all LIS, BIS up to Cape Cod. 

Anchor and rode will come off the boat while not cruising, so weight is a factor to some extent. I figure 200', but am wondering if I would need to go up to 250'. I figure 50' for tide alone in some spots.

I have looked at charts, but can't say the depths in all the anchorages I'd want to checkout. So any thoughts on what has worked for others would be appreciated.

I think my rode is 200', maybe 250'. Here is WLIS, depth of most of the middle is in the 75-100 foot range with a few deeper holes. Any anchorage near shore is going to be less than 50', probably less than 20'.  I have had a bit of trouble anchoring for RC duty in bouncy weather using a rather light Danforth-type anchor, but I've always managed to get it to stick in the end (except one time when we pulled up the anchor and it had a rock stuck in it, but we had success on the second attempt).

14 hours ago, SemiSalt said:

I think my rode is 200', maybe 250'. Here is WLIS, depth of most of the middle is in the 75-100 foot range with a few deeper holes. Any anchorage near shore is going to be less than 50', probably less than 20'.  I have had a bit of trouble anchoring for RC duty in bouncy weather using a rather light Danforth-type anchor, but I've always managed to get it to stick in the end (except one time when we pulled up the anchor and it had a rock stuck in it, but we had success on the second attempt).

thanks! I know in WLIS i'll be fine with 200'. I have been fine with less so far. I was just wondering if the anchorages get deeper further out the sound.

Block Island is the only place I've used almost all 250' of my rode. ~50 depth anchoring.  Everywhere else around Cape Cod, Buzzards bay etc. is much less depth. 

Archived