Let face it - our version of capitalism is broken

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, back it up - provide facts to support your silly assertions.  And get a freaking spell checker. Shit, you come across dumb enough without "centerded".  Does that go good with Hamberders?  Nev

These threads remind me of the disclaimers for investment schemes "past performance is not indicative of future results". Capitalism as we know it is maybe 150 years old and an artifact of the industr

One fact is that the wealth at the top is in the stratospheres and catastrophic.  The working class is losing out even as the economy has grown.  Greed has been glorified.  Certain protected classes l

Posted Images

Just now, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

you don't even know the meaning of the word liar.

Hey, if you have a case to make for something, make it.  Otherwise you are just noise.

2 minutes ago, Laker said:

If you haven't been there, I don't think that has any validity.

If you are making scientific conclusions based on data you collected on vacation, then I don't think that has any validity either.

28 minutes ago, Laker said:

Then you have not been there.  I do not think that you travel to the Canadian North as I have over about a 40 year period.  There are distinct and over-riding changes.  It was warmer at the North Pole than at Chicago many times this year, for instance.  Yes there is change and people will adapt.  However, the cost of change will be much more than the cost of remediation in many cases.  Ocean level rise is a biggie.  As far as coral reefs, yes we are headed to a world of greatly diminished coral reefs and thus a lot less marine life. Fisheries matter.

The temperature hit 70 in Anchorage in March for the first time in recorded history.  Thanks to global warming.  We are heating up like a frog in a pot.

jzk is a very poorly rated poster who has no idea what he’s talking about and is an ASSHOLE.   A toxic mess of a human being.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Dog said:

My position on the planet has no bearing on its validity.

Direct observation is at the basis of all science.  In many years I am sure the lichens will be replaced by other plants feeding other life forms than Caribou and Musk Ox.  Meanwhile the Indigenous population becomes more and more reliant on food brought expensively from the South.  Are you saying the Caribou herds are not going away?

3 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

The temperature hit 70 in Anchorage in March for the first time in recorded history.  Thanks to global warming.  We are heating up like a frog in a pot.

And that particular area with long growing days and higher temperatures will probably become a breadbasket within my childrens' lives.  Around Barrow, the permafrost will melt and create a wasteland until it gets warm enough to create muskeg over a longer time.

9 minutes ago, jzk said:

If you are making scientific conclusions based on data you collected on vacation, then I don't think that has any validity either.

Sorry, not vacation.  Not a scientist, but still there to work.

3 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

No we aren't.  We are experiencing mild warming not out of any normal range.  The climate clowns have created a whole modern superstition not unlike previous superstitions throughout human history.  

The Aztecs killed children to appease the angry gods, and the climate clowns are not much different.  

6 minutes ago, Laker said:

Direct observation is at the basis of all science.  In many years I am sure the lichens will be replaced by other plants feeding other life forms than Caribou and Musk Ox.  Meanwhile the Indigenous population becomes more and more reliant on food brought expensively from the South.  Are you saying the Caribou herds are not going away?

I'm saying that as the planet warms life becomes more abundant even in the north. Warmer times have been historically been good times for human civilization. Unfortunately the planet has not warmed significantly in 20 years and now many scientists predicting cooling in our future.

Just now, jzk said:

No we aren't.  We are experiencing mild warming not out of any normal range.  The climate clowns have created a whole modern superstition not unlike previous superstitions throughout human history.  

The Aztecs killed children to appease the angry gods, and the climate clowns are not much different.  

What differences do you see?

Just now, jzk said:

A change from -60C to -20C at the North Pole over a sixty year period is not "normal range".

2 minutes ago, Dog said:

I'm saying that as the planet warms life becomes more abundant even in the north. Warmer times have been historically been good times for human civilization. Unfortunately the planet has not warmed significantly in 20 years and now many scientists predicting cooling in our future.

Many?  Who?

Just now, Amati said:

What differences do you see?

The Aztecs directly killed the children with swords.  The climate clowns are willing to let them die by making energy more expensive.  The main difference is that the climate clowns are willing to kill a whole lot more people than the Aztecs.

1 minute ago, Laker said:

A change from -60C to -20C at the North Pole over a sixty year period is not "normal range".

Please cite the evidence of this change.  Are you saying that there are temperatures occurring today at the North pole that are warmer than they have been during the last 5,000 years?

Just now, jzk said:

Please cite the evidence of this change.  Are you saying that there are temperatures occurring today at the North pole that are warmer than they have been during the last 5,000 years?

Not 5,000 years.  We are talking rate of change, not just change.

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Depends on the government, depends on the agenda. The US is a democracy, what do you suggest we with an intractable minority who cannot agree with the rest of us, and is intent on doing harm?

-DSK

(CONSTITUTIONAL)Representative Republic,  there is a difference.

17 minutes ago, Dog said:

Just google "global cooling"

Has there been a breakthrough in climate science modeling?  It looks like the climate models for cooling are based on what, 3-5 year observations?  IIRR, you haven’t been all that happy with the short range basis of warming models.  Given the skepticism, for example, towards the magnetic wave hypothesis in a cooling model piece that came up on Google, as you suggested, would you explain your comfort level with the sampling and assumptions of recent cooling modeling methodology?

3 minutes ago, Laker said:

You don't actually believe that crap, do you?

That the solar cycles influence global temperature,sure I do. As to whether they have the cycles correct I'm less confident.

7 minutes ago, Amati said:

Has there been a breakthrough in climate science modeling?  It looks like the climate models for cooling are based on what, 3-5 year observations?  IIRR, you haven’t been all that happy with the short range basis of warming models.  Given the skepticism, for example, towards the magnetic wave hypothesis in a cooling model piece that came up on Google, as you suggested, would you explain your comfort level with the sampling and assumptions of recent cooling modeling methodology?

Climate modeling is pretty much bullshit.  And we are going to prove it.  For the next 30 years, CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere will increase, and nothing bad will happen on a net basis.  If anything, conditions on the planet will improve for both plants and humans.   Yes, every time there is a fire, tornado or hurricane, the climate clowns will be jumping up and down as if they are new phenomena created by humans, but their superstitious view will continue to be marginalized.

That is what is going to happen.

4 hours ago, jzk said:

Here we go.  The elitists want to decide who lives and who dies.  

If anyone is going to leave, it should begin with those that think humans don't belong.

You decide someone is elite because you feel so bad for yourself?  Get over it.  Start being a rational person and then we can talk.

8 minutes ago, jzk said:

Climate modeling is pretty much bullshit.  And we are going to prove it.  For the next 30 years, CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere will increase, and nothing bad will happen on a net basis.  If anything, conditions on the planet will improve for both plants and humans.   Yes, every time there is a fire, tornado or hurricane, the climate clowns will be jumping up and down as if they are new phenomena created by humans, but their superstitious view will continue to be marginalized.

Wow.  

A prophet hath risen!  So sayeth that same prophet!

:mellow:

BTW, an interesting addition to the North is the increase in rainfall.  Other than adding a great deal of heat to the former desert, there is the creation of large shallow lakes. Of course, most of the rain ends up in the ocean.  The Arctic Ocean has fairly low salinity in the first place, but is being driven to even less.

25 minutes ago, Laker said:

BTW, an interesting addition to the North is the increase in rainfall.  Other than adding a great deal of heat to the former desert, there is the creation of large shallow lakes. Of course, most of the rain ends up in the ocean.  The Arctic Ocean has fairly low salinity in the first place, but is being driven to even less.

Probably all caused by Trump no doubt.  Maybe we should sacrifice something to improve the salinity of the Arctic.

19 minutes ago, jzk said:

Probably all caused by Trump no doubt.  Maybe we should sacrifice something to improve the salinity of the Arctic.

hey, opening up coal plants to provide subsidized aluminum doesn't help.

5 minutes ago, Laker said:

hey, opening up coal plants to provide subsidized aluminum doesn't help.

Lets not subsidize anything.  But, coal is going to be in demand for decades.  

6 hours ago, jzk said:

Lets not subsidize anything.  But, coal is going to be in demand for decades.  

https://about.bnef.com/blog/u-s-coal-plant-retirements-near-all-time-high/

U.S. Coal Plant Retirements Near All-Time High

but wait, here's couple more, genius

http://fortune.com/2019/01/07/coal-plants-closing/

https://www.power-eng.com/articles/2019/01/pace-of-coal-fired-plant-closures-doubling-in-trump-era.html

Do you say this stupid shit on purpose?

-DSK

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

How about posting something actually relevant when replying to my statement?  What does this have to do with coal being in demand for decades to come?  What  year do you predict that coal will no longer be in demand.  Lets memorialize your ignorance.  

9 hours ago, jzk said:

i apologize!!!!!!! Entschuldige!!!!!

14 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

You are a self-important petulant twit who thinks that your beliefs & priorities supersede everyone else's.   That's got nothing to do with what those beliefs entail. 

bitch I'm right, and not so deep down, you know it. pay attention, and act accordingly.

14 hours ago, jzk said:

People don't belong on the planet?  Here we get to the heart of your ideology.

you're just a liability, someone should throw your twisted ass off a cliff. 

31 minutes ago, Rat's ass said:

Quick, find your stupid as a sack of nails, wannabe puck ass, a safe space, initiate fetal position and start sucking before ya piss yourself again. :rolleyes: 

fuck you, you sloppy cunt.

On 4/3/2019 at 6:39 PM, Laker said:

It sets prices.  A union negotiates prices.

The problem with the AMA is not so much that it sets prices, but rather, like a trade union, it limits entry into the marketplace.

Believe it or not I don't spend all my time on SA. I have varied interests and am in communication with Vietnamese and Taiwanese as I have lived is both countries and find their people and cultures interesting. Before finishing my first cup of coffee I found this which goes to what and where the Libgressives on PA are taking the country whether they realize it or not...I'd like to think not which is why I post my perspectives. 

xxxxxx Shao -chi xxxx

I’m never been so hurt and enraged during my time at Yale.

Yesterday, when I brought up the violation of basic human rights for Uyghurs and Tibetans in a lecture on China’s politics, a classmate argued that “efficiency” can justify CCP’s policies. He said that “it is not about right or wrong, it’s just more efficient.” The professor, acting as a neutral moderator, didn’t call him out, but these extremely problematic comments should NOT be ignored.

Efficiency should NEVER be the measure of basic human rights.
It is only “efficient”, because the efficiency isn’t at the expense of your race. 
Millions of Han people aren’t under mass surveillance and put into concentration camps just for “efficiency”.

Let’s paraphrase.
1. I’m white, and I think that slavery shouldn’t be abolished. Because as a white person, having slaves is more “efficient” for me.
2. I’m a man, and I think that all women should just stay in the kitchen. Gender equality isn’t “efficient” for me anyways.

If these two statements were made in a class at Yale, I can’t even begin to imagine the backlash. 
The question we should ask ourselves is, why are we condoning the equally objectively problematic staments when it comes to China? 
And why do we even need analogies to realise how offensive that argument is?

As an educator, the professor should always call these people out, instead of staying neutral in fear of China’s influence. It is easy to stay indifferent, especially when we’re misled by China’s complete censorship, and afraid of its wealth and power - this indifference and thoughtlessness is, precisely, the banality of evil.

Yale is an educational institution; money and prestige should never shadow our search for truth and justice. These grossly inappropriate rhetorics have no place in our lives, especially not in Yale.

Neutrality in the face of evil is complicity.

31 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Believe it or not I don't spend all my time on SA. I have varied interests and am in communication with Vietnamese and Taiwanese as I have lived is both countries and find their people and cultures interesting. Before finishing my first cup of coffee I found this which goes to what and where the Libgressives on PA are taking the country whether they realize it or not...I'd like to think not which is why I post my perspectives. 

xxxxxx Shao -chi xxxx

I’m never been so hurt and enraged during my time at Yale.

Yesterday, when I brought up the violation of basic human rights for Uyghurs and Tibetans in a lecture on China’s politics, a classmate argued that “efficiency” can justify CCP’s policies. He said that “it is not about right or wrong, it’s just more efficient.” The professor, acting as a neutral moderator, didn’t call him out, but these extremely problematic comments should NOT be ignored.

Efficiency should NEVER be the measure of basic human rights.
It is only “efficient”, because the efficiency isn’t at the expense of your race. 
Millions of Han people aren’t under mass surveillance and put into concentration camps just for “efficiency”.

Let’s paraphrase.
1. I’m white, and I think that slavery shouldn’t be abolished. Because as a white person, having slaves is more “efficient” for me.
2. I’m a man, and I think that all women should just stay in the kitchen. Gender equality isn’t “efficient” for me anyways.

If these two statements were made in a class at Yale, I can’t even begin to imagine the backlash. 
The question we should ask ourselves is, why are we condoning the equally objectively problematic staments when it comes to China? 
And why do we even need analogies to realise how offensive that argument is?

As an educator, the professor should always call these people out, instead of staying neutral in fear of China’s influence. It is easy to stay indifferent, especially when we’re misled by China’s complete censorship, and afraid of its wealth and power - this indifference and thoughtlessness is, precisely, the banality of evil.

Yale is an educational institution; money and prestige should never shadow our search for truth and justice. These grossly inappropriate rhetorics have no place in our lives, especially not in Yale.

Neutrality in the face of evil is complicity.

Sure, but why in the world to do you think this has anything to do with "libgressives"? Do you think the Confederacy was "libgressive"? The Nazi Party? Pol Pot?

-DSK

8 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Sure, but why in the world to do you think this has anything to do with "libgressives"? Do you think the Confederacy was "libgressive"? The Nazi Party? Pol Pot?

-DSK

Wake up dude...you are being used...all the warm and fuzzy rhetoric of the Libgressive's is headed toward more , bigger, oppressive governemnt ....more and bigger governemnt ...I have all the sympathies of a libgressive but understand that turning rights and personal freedoms over to a government  so the government can remedy "problems" has not shown to be the solution...after witnessing 55 years of the failed Great Society and being a Jimmy Carter voter.  

1 minute ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Wake up dude...you are being used...all the warm and fuzzy rhetoric of the Libgressive's is headed toward more and bigger governemnt ....more and bigger governemnt ...I have all the sympathies of a libgressive but understand that turning rights and personal freedoms over to a government  so the government can remedy "problems" has not shown to be the solution...after witnessing 55 years of the failed Great Society and being a Jimmy Carter voter.  

Oh yeah, I'm being used....... how's that tax cut working out for you?

-DSK

Oh yeah, I'm being used....... how's that tax cut working out for you?

-DSK

The tax cut is woking MAGA....all economic indicators are up !...the lowest jobless rate in 49 years in yesterday's report...that is how a tax cut works

12 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Were you able to find any data on projected coal demand?  Everything I can find is that it will increase in the short term and then remain flat through 2050.  Did you want to prove that coal will not be in demand for decades to come?  When you call people stupid, you should at least do it in a way that doesn't make you look really stupid.  

17 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

The tax cut is woking MAGA....all economic indicators are up !...the lowest jobless rate in 49 years in yesterday's report...that is how a tax cut works

Just saw on the news about homeless veterans in Minnesota, all working at jobs, none able to afford a place to live other than a homeless shelter.

MAGA yeah!!

Meanwhile, your beloved Trump is planning to cut your Social Security (it's socialism!) and you got fucked on your own taxes so the 1%ers can pay less. Way to go

-DSK

Just saw on the news about homeless veterans in Minnesota, all working at jobs, none able to afford a place to live other than a homeless shelter.

MAGA yeah!!

Meanwhile, your beloved Trump is planning to cut your Social Security (it's socialism!) and you got fucked on your own taxes so the 1%ers can pay less. Way to go

-DSK

Get a grip on yourself....there will always be dysfunctional homeless....SS is closer to an annuity than socialism along with the other lame comparisons.....???? Trump planning on cutting SS...Congress would do that...and no I have not heard of any planned cut in SS ....maybe you mean not a cost of living increase next year based on the formula that is used

10 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Get a grip on yourself....there will always be dysfunctional homeless....SS is closer to an annuity than socialism along with the other lame comparisons.....???? Trump planning on cutting SS...Congress would do that...and no I have not heard of any planned cut in SS ....maybe you mean not a cost of living increase next year based on the formula that is used

Read what is in front of you.

These guys aren't "dysfunctional"

They're veterans. They have jobs.

Fortunately for them, the Minnesota VA is working to turn over part of a retired Army base to them, they're working -after- their jobs long hours to rehab barracks to live in. It's right on a light rail line.

You seem to process reality into a twisted version of what you see, so as to "make sense" of it according to your warped values and hatred of fellow human beings. I don't know what kind of bad shit happened to you, but you'd feel a lot better about life if you didn't hate so much. And you'd be a lot smarter if you actually paid attention to what is really going on right in front of you, like reading simple sentences.

Now, about that Social Security: https://www.newsweek.com/deficit-budget-tax-plan-social-security-medicaid-medicare-entitlement-1172941

Mitch McConnell Calls for Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid Cuts After Passing Tax Cuts, Massive Defense Spending

Or

https://www.forbes.com/sites/teresaghilarducci/2018/10/16/senate-republicans-set-sights-on-cutting-social-security/#6835504c5da1

Senate Republicans Set Sights On Cutting Social Security

• The higher deficits caused by the tax cuts of 2017 will fuel the chronic attack to cut the programs.

So, if you were paying attention and actually processing reality instead of listening to fantasy voices, you'd know what's going on.

-DSK

21 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

These guys aren't "dysfunctional" These guys are the very definition of dysfunctional

Fortunately for them, the Minnesota VA is working to turn over part of a retired Army base to them, they're working -after- their jobs long hours to rehab barracks to live in. It's right on a light rail line.

You seem to process reality into a twisted version of what you see, so as to "make sense" of it according to your warped values and hatred of fellow human beings. I don't know what kind of bad shit happened to you, but you'd feel a lot better about life if you didn't hate so much. And you'd be a lot smarter if you actually paid attention to what is really going on right in front of you, like reading simple sentences.

Now, about that Social Security: https://www.newsweek.com/deficit-budget-tax-plan-social-security-medicaid-medicare-entitlement-1172941

Mitch McConnell Calls for Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid Cuts After Passing Tax Cuts, Massive Defense Spending

Or

https://www.forbes.com/sites/teresaghilarducci/2018/10/16/senate-republicans-set-sights-on-cutting-social-security/#6835504c5da1

• The higher deficits caused by the tax cuts of 2017 will fuel the chronic attack to cut the programs.

So, if you were paying attention and actually processing reality instead of listening to fantasy voices, you'd know what's going on.

-DSK

This still works better than anything the LibGressives offer

americcan.jpg

15 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:
37 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

These guys aren't "dysfunctional" These guys are the very definition of dysfunctional

Or

-DSK

americcan.jpg

How exactly are people who have served their country, and who are currently employed, "dysfunctional"?

Now, whatever feel-good he-manly bullshit you want to spout, what does that actually mean in practical terms? Getting robbed by those above you on the economic ladder? That's how it's working out, and that's these veterans ended up the way they did.

I notice you're ignoring the facts about Republicans plans to gut Social Security. That's because your feel-good he-man tripe doesn't face up to reality very well.

-DSK

3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

How exactly are people who have served their country, and who are currently employed, "dysfunctional"?

Now, whatever feel-good he-manly bullshit you want to spout, what does that actually mean in practical terms? Getting robbed by those above you on the economic ladder? That's how it's working out, and that's these veterans ended up the way they did.

I notice you're ignoring the facts about Republicans plans to gut Social Security. That's because your feel-good he-man tripe doesn't face up to reality very well.

-DSK

Having "served " their country only carries them so far....for every tip of the spear there are 100,000 cooks and mechanics...nothing wrong with that but as I said being a vet only carries you so far...and they have VA medical and other helping programs if they take advantage of them....I suspect this is an extreme example the story is written about to serve a purpose...which sends up flags of suspicion 

5 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Having "served " their country only carries them so far....for every tip of the spear there are 100,000 cooks and mechanics...nothing wrong with that but as I said being a vet only carries you so far...and they have VA medical and other helping programs if they take advantage of them....I suspect this is an extreme example the story is written about to serve a purpose...which sends up flags of suspicion 

Of course, it makes you suspicious because it doesn't follow the YAY TEAM AMERICA FUCK YEAH!!! he-man bullshit narrative

Go ahead, say that veterans deserve to get fucked over and dumped out on the street. It's the Republican way, now. They got suckered into being used, and now their only use is in low-wage jobs that don't pay for more than sharing a fleabag room among other human trash.

It doesn't fit your narrow-minded view, so reject it as libgressive propaganda. That's how you remain a nice loyal Trumpette

-DSK

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

Of course, it makes you suspicious because it doesn't follow the YAY TEAM AMERICA FUCK YEAH!!! he-man bullshit narrative

Go ahead, say that veterans deserve to get fucked over and dumped out on the street. It's the Republican way, now. They got suckered into being used, and now their only use is in low-wage jobs that don't pay for more than sharing a fleabag room among other human trash.

It doesn't fit your narrow-minded view, so reject it as libgressive propaganda. That's how you remain a nice loyal Trumpette

-DSK

You misconstrued to suit your preconceived  conclusions....the article says the vets are working at jobs yet still need whatever....look around dude anyone working a 40 hour week can take care of themselves without and article about them....look around...your sympathies are being played

17 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

You misconstrued to suit your preconceived  conclusions....the article says the vets are working at jobs yet still need whatever....look around dude anyone working a 40 hour week can take care of themselves without and article about them....look around...your sympathies are being played

The left is ALL about feeling and sympathies. No rational thought, just spout the current party line. FIFO or 4bit SR.

There is a problem with the variable reward put forward by the "American's Creed". It gets to be just like gambling.  The mouse does whatever on the hope that once in a while a piece of cheese drops.

1 minute ago, SailBlueH2O said:

I think you're suffering from a delusion here

That was true 40 years ago, but wages have stagnated. There are a lot of metro areas..... possibly most of them...... where working a low-wage job (which is almost certain to be 39 hours a week, so as to avoid attaching benefits) or even 2 or 3 low-wage jobs, will not pay for anything better.

Doesn't leave one a lot of time for study and training, either.

Wages are finally on the way up now, but only by small amount that will never catch up to what working class and middle class life was like 20+ years ago.

36 minutes ago, warbird said:

The left is ALL about feeling and sympathies. No rational thought, just spout the current party line. FIFO or 4bit SR.

You mean, like FEELING there's a crisis at the border and FEELING like poor people deserve to be poor because they're lazy?

-DSK

16 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I think you're suffering from a delusion here

That was true 40 years ago, but wages have stagnated. There are a lot of metro areas..... possibly most of them...... where working a low-wage job (which is almost certain to be 39 hours a week, so as to avoid attaching benefits) or even 2 or 3 low-wage jobs, will not pay for anything better.

Doesn't leave one a lot of time for study and training, either.

Wages are finally on the way up now, but only by small amount that will never catch up to what working class and middle class life was like 20+ years ago.

You mean, like FEELING there's a crisis at the border and FEELING like poor people deserve to be poor because they're lazy?

-DSK

FIFO

The Reich studiously ignores facts - like the example I gave above about 

how the middle class jobs in meat packing were deliberately destroyed . . 

same thing happened in lots of industries - auto too. 

And the oligarchy also trashed the middle class be keeping min. wage low, blocking health care reform, 

trashing unions, making education way expensive (see what Betsy DeVos is now doing to folks who got 

scammed by phony higher ed), destroying the CFPB 

Some Dems, like Liz Warren, get this - which is why I support her . . 

On 4/5/2019 at 2:08 AM, Importunate Tom said:

This is funny on a sailing forum.

I have more stuff than I really need. Sheds full of it, so bought a shipping container. Lots of it is frivolous stuff.

But nothing is more frivolous than having a sailboat for fun. Not even a powerboat or a kayak.

We're all here because we do the most frivolous thing I can think up.

And no, sacrificing my sailboats, or any of my other boats, is NOT on the table.

drowning in shit seems stressful.

less is more.

7 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

gotta say the dumbest most wasteful thing in US life is all the gun stroking freedom fantasists. 300+ million guns for no fucking use other than pretending they can shoot zombies, or UN people, or whatever they do, babbling about how dead kids are the price of some fuckwhits squirrelshooter and that''s well and good because they need their "freedom".

That's fucking wasteful.

FIFO

7 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

gotta say the dumbest most wasteful thing in US life is all the gun stroking freedom fantasists. 300+ million gunz 

That's fucking wasteful.

Well put . . . those Reichists punks have turned our fair land into a shooting gallery . . . 

We get gunfire regularly within blocks of our home . .

15 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

americcan.jpg

Wow. If you really believe this, you cannot have ever been responsible for humans.

Over half of my employees would have been on the scrap heap if I believed this, and they're all good people. Nearly everyone needs help at some stage, and life can be a cunt, it's not always their fault, and nor is the recovery always possible without someone lending a hand.

That's seriously fucked up Sail.

A long, very wonky piece, but worth the read -

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/04/economic-inequality-geographic-divide-map-census-income-data/586222/

How the 1 Percent Is Pulling America’s Cities and Regions Apart

America’s growing geographic divide derives from economic inequality, especially the tremendous gains of the 1 percent.

21 minutes ago, Sean said:

A long, very wonky piece, but worth the read -

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/04/economic-inequality-geographic-divide-map-census-income-data/586222/

How the 1 Percent Is Pulling America’s Cities and Regions Apart

America’s growing geographic divide derives from economic inequality, especially the tremendous gains of the 1 percent.

The 1% become the 1% by providing us products and services that we want.  Should we stop them from providing those products and services for us, or should we just make them provide them for free?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jzk said:

The 1% become the 1% by providing us products and services that we want.  Should we stop them from providing those products and services for us, or should we just make them provide them for free?

Very insightful anylisis. Did you get past the headline? 

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Very insightful anylisis. Did you get past the headline? 

Can you make a case for something?  If you want to be part of the 1%, then provide society with the kinds of desired products and services that the rest of the 1% does.

• Like 1

Here's an excerpt. It's not an article meant to disparage the 1%, it's about the socioeconomic effects of accelerated economic stratification. Although it's not the authors focus, to me it explains why the country has vast swaths of sparsely populated regions that are typically red on a political map, and relatively small densely populated regions typically blue.

"Up until now, most researchers have believed America’s rising geographic divides to be a consequence of the way people sort themselves by education, occupation, and income. In Bill Bishop’s influential book, The Big Sort, the basic idea is that more skilled, affluent, and educated Americans move to the booming parts of the country—superstar cities like New York and Los Angeles and tech hubs like San Francisco, Seattle, and Boston—leaving the rest stuck in less-advantaged parts of the country.

To some, this is simply the effect of the clustering of talent and skill. For others, it is the result of the preferences of advantaged groups for amenities and other lifestyle factors. Some also say it is the consequence of land-use restrictions, which limit the development of economically successful places, or other barriers to growth.

Manduca does not deny that these kinds of geographic sorting forces are in play. Instead, he finds that the staggering growth in the economic divide helps to magnify such spatial division. The rich and the poor occupy different places to begin with, so as income inequality rises, the geographic discrepancies also rise as a consequence, with rich places getting richer and poor places falling further behind. Or as he puts it: national inequality acts like a powerful wave that “washes over an uneven landscape, leaving behind deep pools in some areas and shallow puddles in others.” The rise in economic inequality, even though not inherently spatial, does in fact have spatial consequences."

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

Here's an excerpt. It's not an article meant to disparage the 1%, it's about the socioeconomic effects of accelerated economic stratification. Although it's not the authors focus, to me it explains why the country has vast swaths of sparsely populated regions that are typically red on a political map, and relatively small densely populated regions typically blue.

"Up until now, most researchers have believed America’s rising geographic divides to be a consequence of the way people sort themselves by education, occupation, and income. In Bill Bishop’s influential book, The Big Sort, the basic idea is that more skilled, affluent, and educated Americans move to the booming parts of the country—superstar cities like New York and Los Angeles and tech hubs like San Francisco, Seattle, and Boston—leaving the rest stuck in less-advantaged parts of the country.

To some, this is simply the effect of the clustering of talent and skill. For others, it is the result of the preferences of advantaged groups for amenities and other lifestyle factors. Some also say it is the consequence of land-use restrictions, which limit the development of economically successful places, or other barriers to growth.

Manduca does not deny that these kinds of geographic sorting forces are in play. Instead, he finds that the staggering growth in the economic divide helps to magnify such spatial division. The rich and the poor occupy different places to begin with, so as income inequality rises, the geographic discrepancies also rise as a consequence, with rich places getting richer and poor places falling further behind. Or as he puts it: national inequality acts like a powerful wave that “washes over an uneven landscape, leaving behind deep pools in some areas and shallow puddles in others.” The rise in economic inequality, even though not inherently spatial, does in fact have spatial consequences."

I read the article.  But it has a flawed premise:

"The two gravest challenges facing America today, economic inequality and geographic divides, are increasingly intertwined."

47 minutes ago, jzk said:

Can you make a case for something?  If you want to be part of the 1%, then provide society with the kinds of desired products and services that the rest of the 1% does.

Or you can simply inherit over a hundred million dollars, the way Trump did

-DSK

11 minutes ago, jzk said:

I read the article.  But it has a flawed premise:

"The two gravest challenges facing America today, economic inequality and geographic divides, are increasingly intertwined."

WTF is "economic inequality" ?....sounds bad

3 minutes ago, jzk said:
17 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Or you can simply inherit over a hundred million dollars, the way Trump did

If that happens, how does it hurt you?

You said (have said many times) the very wealthy provide great benefit to society, to justify their great wealth. What benefit does it give, to inherit it instead?

By your logic, the inheritance tax should be 100% -AND- the wealthy should be fine with that.

Obviously you yourself don't really believe what you say.

-DSK

2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

You said (have said many times) the very wealthy provide great benefit to society, to justify their great wealth. What benefit does it give, to inherit it instead?

By your logic, the inheritance tax should be 100% -AND- the wealthy should be fine with that.

-DSK

You are lying again.  

If Ellen Degenerous wants to leave her money to her kid, what business is it of mine or yours?  Ellen provided highly desired services to society, and she earned her money fair and square.  Why do you feel that you deserve a piece of it?  How does it hurt you for Ellen to give it to her kid?

Don't fall for the %1 ....just like the "Read Slowly" above....it is an attitude and way of approaching life ...not everyone can become elite rich nor is is a realistic goal or even a desirable goal....but one can greatly improve their lot in life by setting realistic goals and making the sacrifices,taking the steps to reach those goals.........or you could sit on your ass and complain and march in the streets supporting a snake oil salesmen promising free shit from the government in exchange for your vote...Lottery ticket mentality

3 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:
11 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Why do you hate the American Farmer so?

Why don't you ask JZK why he believes such a crock of shit?

JZK has said many times (and the general attitude of righties seems to not be far behind) that the ultra-wealthy deserve their tremendous wealth, and the benefits that go with it, because they provide great benefit to the socioeconomic system..... in other words, they earned it.

OK, does falling out out of an ultra-wealthy vagina mean that you've provided great benefit? Is that "earning" the wealth?

You can't have it both ways.

Personally, I think most righties are born peasants who long for a hereditary aristocracy to lord over themselves. They want a Big Daddy figure, a strong authoritarian. This is why you all worship great wealth and don't really apply logic to the matter.

-DSK

Why don't you ask JZK why he believes such a crock of shit?

JZK has said many times (and the general attitude of righties seems to not be far behind) that the ultra-wealthy deserve their tremendous wealth, and the benefits that go with it, because they provide great benefit to the socioeconomic system..... in other words, they earned it.

OK, does falling out out of an ultra-wealthy vagina mean that you've provided great benefit? Is that "earning" the wealth?

You can't have it both ways.

Personally, I think most righties are born peasants who long for a hereditary aristocracy to lord over themselves. They want a Big Daddy figure, a strong authoritarian. This is why you all worship great wealth and don't really apply logic to the matter.

-DSK

More lies.  If someone wants to work hard their entire life providing great value to society, why shouldn't they give their money to whomever they want?  Why do you think you deserve it?

Just now, jzk said:

More lies.  If someone wants to work hard their entire life providing great value to society, why shouldn't they give their money to whomever they want?  Why do you think you deserve it?

Are you in favor of EARNING money or not?

Simple yes or no.

-DSK

Simple yes or no.

-DSK

Absolutely.  Ellen earned hers. And if she wants to give it to her kid, that is her business.  Why are you so envious of other people's accomplishments?  

8 minutes ago, jzk said:
9 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Simple yes or no.

Absolutely.  Ellen earned hers. And if she wants to give it to her kid, that is her business.  Why are you so envious of other people's accomplishments?  

What did Ellen's kid do to EARN tremendous wealth?

Shoot yourself in the foot, much?

-DSK

9 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

But, if we say you have a point which you do in some regard, confiscating that wealth causes families to have to sell off the farm or family business. How do we as a society correct that aspect of inherited wealth? Do we really want to shut down farms and businesses because of some silly battle between differing socio-economic stratums? It is a very divisive , no? Add to that very wealthy politicians exploiting that to garner support and it gets down right loonie.

Nice straw man. Nobody is demanding a 100% inheritance tax. Most of the proposals of inherited wealth taxation kick in far above the value of a family farm, like $10 million before any tax is due. 

8 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

But, if we say you have a point which you do in some regard, confiscating that wealth causes families to have to sell off the farm or family business. How do we as a society correct that aspect of inherited wealth? Do we really want to shut down farms and businesses because of some silly battle between differing socio-economic stratums? It is a very divisive , no? Add to that very wealthy politicians exploiting that to garner support and it gets down right loonie.

If you see taxation as confiscation, then you must not drive on paved roads.

The issue of inheritance of non-liquid assets is a serious one, and deserving of serious discussion.

Framing it as a class war, or equating taxation with confiscation, is not serious.

-DSK

Just now, Ishmael said:

Nice straw man. Nobody is demanding a 100% inheritance tax. Most of the proposals of inherited wealth taxation kick in far above the value of a family farm, like $10 million before any tax is due. 

Why does Ellen's kid getting money Ellen earned hurt you?  Working hard to give your kid a better life is part of the American Dream.