Time to talk hawse pipes

Started removing old chain this evening (a man’s gotta have some after-work relaxation/leisure activity, no?).

Which got me to wondering what you fine people do to seal up your hawsepipes?  (Love that word.)  Hawsehole, if you prefer. (But that sounds slightly derogatory, no?)

I’ve got a Sunbrella cover I sewed for the windlass - it more or less covers the hawsepipe.  Has worked fine for long-distance coastal cruising.  But with boat on a mooring (and thus not being plugged in - water in chain locker drains to bilge which means batteries would be drained by bilge pump), or offshore, what do you like to do to keep the hawsepipe sealed?  

I was thinking electrical duct seal - this stuff:  https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-DS-110N-Duct-Seal/dp/B00689V41G. Non-drying, easy-to-form putty, re-usable.

Any other ideas?

• Like 1

A pic of the space you need to plug might be handy. 

Take a Google for "plumbing test plug"... either screw-operated or air-actuated. They might cap off a circular hawes nicely.

Randii

What Olaf says.  Or, you can remove the deck fitting and install a better model/brand of hawsepipe that includes a cover. The cover is usually attached to the deck fitting with a bit of chain or SS cable to prevent it from being lost overboard.

But yeah, I agree that a boat that lives on a mooring, should not ship a single drop of water unnecessarily so you are right to find a way to plug it.

3 minutes ago, The Q said:

most boats I've seen a drain hole in the anchor chain locker (above the water line of course..)

And they will not adequately drain your anchor locker if you're headed upwind in any kind of seas and your anchor locker will fill up and water will find its way inside your boat and slosh around on your cabin sole in the middle of the night and put you in a right good panic until you figure it out. Trust me on this.

1 minute ago, monsoon said:

And they will not adequately drain your anchor locker if you're headed upwind in any kind of seas and your anchor locker will fill up and water will find its way inside your boat and slosh around on your cabin sole in the middle of the night and put you in a right good panic until you figure it out. Trust me on this.

You have a chain locker open to your cabin?:wacko:

My friends that crew on a commercial tug and barge use spray foam for their occasional offshore passages. 

They think nothing of introducing bits of foam into the environment.  Shame on them.

Steve

37 minutes ago, The Q said:

The “famous” Taleisin, Lin and Larry Pardey’s boat, on which they've done at least one circumnav and a Cape Horn rounding on, had chain locker open to forward berth.  I’ve actually seen it firsthand (met Larry at a wooden boat show some years ago and asked him about their chain locker set up.  I was surprised!)

13 minutes ago, ghost37 said:

We just tape the gap up with white shrink wrap tape before a passage. Comes off easily with no residue when we arrive. I've thought about making a plug, but it's a weird shape to fill. 

Thanks - what is “white shrink wrap tape”?

I thought ours was fine until we wound up beating to weather for a full day in some fairly sporty wx down here, which resulted in a good deal of water coming on deck. Discovered a LOT had washed back in through the hawse pipe, into the chain locker and eventually the bilge. I took some 1 1/2" closed cell foam from an old cockpit cushion, and cut a piece the same shape but larger than the hole, that with a little finagling I could squeeze into the hole. That did the trick - I thought about also taping up the gap in between the pipe and the cover if need be, but didn't need to. The foam is reusable, and there's no tape gook left to clean up.

8 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

My hawse pipe has a cover, so I just use that (and hang the chain off the hook underneath to hold it in place).

Thing is, my anchor lives on bow roller 99.999% of time (I’d only remove for an offshore passage - and I like the chain-weight-on-plug idea for that: I can make a plug.)

It’s the hawse pipe hole on my classic old Simpson Lawrence Sea Tiger manual windlass I’m trying to fill.  

4FBBF442-1BFC-4D15-8838-613A3822180F.jpeg

1 hour ago, The Q said:

Yes. In fact, all of my boats have been build that way. It's not unusual, at least in the U.S. on inshore and coastal designs. However, none of my boats had a large hatch on deck *and* the v-berth access. It's usually a deck hatch or v-berth access, not both. That would make for a massive pathway for water. I've only ever had the small hawsehole which can easily be plugged.

My chain lockers have all drained into the bilge, where the primary bilge pump takes care of the water.

9 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Thing is, my anchor lives on bow roller 99.999% of time (I’d only remove for an offshore passage - and I like the chain-weight-on-plug idea for that: I can make a plug.)

It’s the hawse pipe hole on my classic old Simpson Lawrence Sea Tiger manual windlass I’m trying to fill.  

4FBBF442-1BFC-4D15-8838-613A3822180F.jpeg

How about a heavy canvas/Sunbrella cover for the whole windlass?

10 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Started removing old chain this evening (a man’s gotta have some after-work relaxation/leisure activity, no?).

Which got me to wondering what you fine people do to seal up your hawsepipes?  (Love that word.)  Hawsehole, if you prefer. (But that sounds slightly derogatory, no?)

They are different parts.

This is a hawse hole - you wouldn't want to close it off.

image.png.4aa9c89dc4cd56a8a90d9d1df2998357.png

Go to the local toy store - look at Nerf toys. That foam can be carved into shape to fit hole. Or Forespar sell a large cone, which you could cut to size. Drill a small hole down thru center, place a FENDER WASHER ON THE TOP END & RUN A STRING THRU IT TO HOLD THE CHAIN. ignore caps loc

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, longy said:

Go to the local toy store - look at Nerf toys. That foam can be carved into shape to fit hole. Or Forespar sell a large cone, which you could cut to size. Drill a small hole down thru center, place a FENDER WASHER ON THE TOP END & RUN A STRING THRU IT TO HOLD THE CHAIN. ignore caps loc

Great idea - thank you.  I see the Forespar one online (as an emergency plug) for £39 (£ amd not $!) - so for my purposes here, I like the Nerf toy idea!  Closed cell foam from a life jacket, as someone suggested above, would also work - provided it’s thick enough.

Its the spurling pipe.......

Back in the old fashioned days the chippy used to plug the pipes with a bit of burlap... then mix up a bit of cement.. and wodge that on top of the burlap.

Just jamming the pipe with old towel or somesuch would probably stop 99% of the water going down.

Mine used to drain to the bilge... now drains overside.

• Like 1

I've had good luck with modeling clay as well.  It packs around the chain well and is just sticky enough to seal.  Comes off easily.  Only issue was with cold weather.  Could be quite a bit harder to form in cold weather.  A block of it I used lasted for years.  You can find it in the kids play section and it is also used for flower arranging.  don't use playdough.

On 4/3/2019 at 9:19 AM, kent_island_sailor said:

Mine is - the sealed draining kind were not a thing on every boat decades ago. You learn to use a washdown pump and get the chain clean so the whole boat doesn't smell like Chesapeake mud ;)

One of the upgrades I did this winter was to run power and hose up to anchor locker.  I had a big capacity pressure water pump I foolishly bought and installed years ago after convincing myself we needed pressure water on board.  Never once used!  Totally useless.  So, I’m installing as a chain wash down pump.  (Few things gave me as much relief in January winter project month than ripping out old, disused hoses and faucet, and then the pump...what was I thinking at the time...and then finding a good use for the pump.)

53 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I have had a washdown pump for years. It is great for washing mud off the chain as it comes up.

Hmmmmm.

I have an active wire run leftover from an old macerator under the sink in the head.  I wonder if I could T into the sink drain and install a washdown pump?

yup Longy that works and have done it a few times with a bonus discovery. You need a raw water filter for the washdown pump first , tee to both demands, check valve for the head supply (causes havoc without). The filter keeps the check valve clean and the head smells and works way better without the decay of critters and weed clogs. Now I install filters on all my head installs.

On 4/5/2019 at 3:22 PM, longy said:

Use the toilet inlet water thru hull.

My sink drain is also the toilet inlet water throughhull. My bad for being vague. :)

On 4/9/2019 at 9:18 PM, Ajax said:

My sink drain is also the toilet inlet water throughhull. My bad for being vague. :)

I had that setup once. Makes it easy to fill the head hoses with fresh (or treated) water when leaving the boat: Close the thruhull, fill the basin, pump the head a bit.