I guess it was boring last time but I'm still interested.

My 2013 camera died a couple of years ago.

We got some chickens and it renewed my interest in what kinds of critters might be wandering around in the yard. I got the new version of my old one and it's better.

Moultrie810gamecam.jpg

The old one made panoramic shots but did it by rotating a single camera on a somewhat noisy carriage. This one has three cameras. The old one had a red flash that was very visible to a human. I could not detect the flash on this one. Image quality is better.

It got a daylight shot of me putting mulch on a Persimmon tree.

mulching.jpg

Our grey tabby came by about 8:30 last night and again about 5:30 this morning.

There was a coon around 2 am, shown in the lower left.

coonlight.jpg

What's that light? I don't know. My neighbor Rick lives in that direction but the daylight shot shows how well you can see his house.

The weird part is that the pic above was taken right after this one:

brightlight.jpg

Da fuck???

I can't explain it. Maybe coons have started carrying headlamps?

• Like 1
  • Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bobcat at the bobcat-feeder (gopher holes) today in our NorCal yard.  We've seen this one (probably) at night on the security cams, but today I was able to use my good camera, looking through the bedr

The Bobcat seems to think it owns the place.  Here it is again today:

One of my kids lives in southern Oregon, in the Klamath Mountain foothills.  A few days ago he caught a Fisher (similar to a weasel) on camera:  

Posted Images

I still can't figure out those lights but the new camera has been fun.

I have it set on "zero" delay, which means it will shoot pictures as fast as it can as long as something is moving in front of the relevant camera. It doesn't seem to do well at switching to the next camera when something passes in front of all three, but does do it sometimes.

I have gotten pics of me, my neighbors, my cats, coons, possums, mysterious shining eyes, and lots and lots of pics of Super Squirrel, who is quite a character and apparently lives near the camera.

Launch pic.

SuperSquirrel.jpg

At least, I had a squirrel living near the camera.

That may have come to an end around 4 yesterday.

HawknSquirrel.jpg

• Like 2

Nice looking pics. I need to upgrade cameras. I have a POS camera I put up last year to see what was stalking the chicken run. Also got pics of foxes, possum, armadillo, and a rat. I worked hard to harden the chicken run and haven't lost a bird yet. Had a close call with a hawk. We let the chickens out when we can and I heard the rooster raising hell. I turned around in time to see Moe (our first rooster, the mean SOB) chasing the hens into the coop. Once the hens were safe he faced off with a hawk that was sitting in a tree about 20'away. Then hawk decided there was an easier meal somewhere else.

IMAG0025.JPG

• Like 1

A mean rooster like Moe will die trying to protect his flock. I was worried about the hawk but haven't seen it since.

Our birds have a 12' X 18' enclosure. We let them out every evening for some free range time. They really love their free time. I'm sure someday we will lose a bird and that will suck. 

Got several more hawk pictures, a couple on the ground right near the camera.

Even though it's fuzzy, this one is my favorite. Took a second and some zooming in to figure out what I was seeing.

HawkSnake.jpg

That's it for that snake. I wonder what kind it was?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, hermetic said:

tom - what do you use to pull pics from the sd card?

I just stick the card into the little slot on my 2011 iMac.

Not sure why but it won't let me delete the pics off the card using my computer so I have to put the card back into the camera and then delete.

It's taking about a hundred pics a day.

On 4/18/2019 at 6:53 AM, Importunate Tom said:

Got several more hawk pictures, a couple on the ground right near the camera.

Even though it's fuzzy, this one is my favorite. Took a second and some zooming in to figure out what I was seeing.

HawkSnake.jpg

That's it for that snake. I wonder what kind it was?

Looks like a eastern diamond back

5 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Looks like a eastern diamond back

I kind of thought that too. The only thing likely to be that color, length and girth.

There are lots of gopher tortoises here and rattlesnakes like to share holes with them. I have seen them, but rarely. The last time was maybe ten years ago.

About 20 minutes before that photo was taken, my gray tabby passed in the same spot going the opposite direction.

I cropped the picture to the same size as the zoomed one above, preserving the same resolution and scale.

To do that, I cut off his tail and cut the cabbage palm trunk out of the pic. It's just to the left but you can sorta see the same trees beyond.

He's about 15 pounds, so pretty good sized for a house cat.

2019-04-18BeastEKitty.jpg

Glad the cat is OK.

You do have some some interesting critters. That big cat could be a cougar. From another website on cougar vs bocat.

Their size distinction is clearly recognizable in their tails, as the cougar can have a 2.5- to 3.5-foot tail, while the bobcat has just a 6-inch tail. The bobcat is named for its short tail, which appears bobbed.

In your pic part of the tail is behind the tree but I think I see part of the tail up high. Either way cool pic. I saw a cougar in the wild while hunting a few years ago. Quite thrilling until walking back after sunset the same direction the cat was going.

Lots of opinions on what kind of cat that is. I still think it's a bobcat and a big one.

My wife had an interesting thought. Paste the housecat pic onto the other one and then delete everything but the kitty from that layer.

This is what it looks like at about half the original sizes of the images.

BeastAndBobcat.jpg

On 4/9/2019 at 6:08 AM, Importunate Tom said:

I guess it was boring last time but I'm still interested.

My 2013 camera died a couple of years ago.

We got some chickens and it renewed my interest in what kinds of critters might be wandering around in the yard. I got the new version of my old one and it's better.

Moultrie810gamecam.jpg

The old one made panoramic shots but did it by rotating a single camera on a somewhat noisy carriage. This one has three cameras. The old one had a red flash that was very visible to a human. I could not detect the flash on this one. Image quality is better.

It got a daylight shot of me putting mulch on a Persimmon tree.

mulching.jpg

Our grey tabby came by about 8:30 last night and again about 5:30 this morning.

There was a coon around 2 am, shown in the lower left.

coonlight.jpg

What's that light? I don't know. My neighbor Rick lives in that direction but the daylight shot shows how well you can see his house.

The weird part is that the pic above was taken right after this one:

brightlight.jpg

Da fuck???

I can't explain it. Maybe coons have started carrying headlamps?

Tom, that is most likely an insect / moth flying close to the lense, with infra red bounce back. We get it a lot on our work security cameras.

2 hours ago, dfw_sailor said:

Tom, that is most likely an insect / moth flying close to the lense, with infra red bounce back. We get it a lot on our work security cameras.

That would explain some of the lights. Others must be something else but there can't be that many unexplained little flashlights wandering around out there at night so have to be the flash bouncing off something I guess.

On 4/20/2019 at 6:33 PM, Importunate Tom said:

Lots of opinions on what kind of cat that is. I still think it's a bobcat and a big one.

My wife had an interesting thought. Paste the housecat pic onto the other one and then delete everything but the kitty from that layer.

This is what it looks like at about half the original sizes of the images.

BeastAndBobcat.jpg

the tail is too long for a bobcat and the head is off as well.  Cougar...small one

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, dacapo said:

the tail is too long for a bobcat and the head is off as well.  Cougar...small one

Caulle in DaWoodeye, hese the exsperte Cougarologiste!                                                    :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dacapo said:

Lots of people have said that but bobcat tails vary in length and do get as long as the one in the pic.

I still think it's a bobcat and probably the one I got a pic of night before last. No question about that one. Panthers have dark ears. Bobcats have white tips.

23 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Caulle in DaWoodeye, hese the exsperte Cougarologiste!                                                    :)

i was waiting for you're reply Snaggs ;-)

6 hours ago, dacapo said:
On 4/25/2019 at 11:12 AM, Snaggletooth said:

i was waiting for you're reply Snaggs ;-)

Pretty sure we don't want to pursue what you call it when a Cougarologiste takes up with a bobcat.

The chickens have started living outside in their coop. At 2 am yesterday, my dogs started raising hell. The motion-activated spotlight near the coop lit up.

I got up but saw nothing.

Possibly related, half an hour later, this:

BobcatEyes.jpg

and

BobcatStrolling.jpg

There are five more pics of the bobcat slowly strolling away so I'm now pretty sure that it can't see the flash nor hear the camera.

A couger tail is oddly long. And thick with a brush at the end. No mistaking it. I call that a bobcat.

When we had chickens in the wilderness it was the foxes. They sneak in without the dogs noticing. But worse they are smart. The chickens, of course, panic and leave the safety of the coop. A fox on one side of the pen scares the idiots to run against the opposite fence. A fox waiting there pulls their yummy bits thru the wire. Leaves rather a big mess. Dogs show up too late. Good fun but no eggs.

Double fence works, but the supermarket does too....

3 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

A couger tail is oddly long. And thick with a brush at the end. No mistaking it. I call that a bobcat.

When we had chickens in the wilderness it was the foxes. They sneak in without the dogs noticing. But worse they are smart. The chickens, of course, panic and leave the safety of the coop. A fox on one side of the pen scares the idiots to run against the opposite fence. A fox waiting there pulls their yummy bits thru the wire. Leaves rather a big mess. Dogs show up too late. Good fun but no eggs.

Double fence works, but the supermarket does too....

I still have people on Facebook, including some I thought would know better, telling me it's a cougar. We call them panthers here.

I just find it funny at this point.

Our chickens spend the night inside their Eglu coop.

eglu.jpg

Word on backyard chicken forums and FB groups is that no one has yet lost a chicken that was inside one of these to predation.

It's double-layer rotomolded plastic bolted together on the inside.

I'm pretty sure that bobcat could dismantle that box, but only if willing to do so under the glare of outdoor spots with dogs barking just inside a door. And me probably approaching quickly from the bedroom.

So a really stupid bobcat that would not have long to live.

I hope this one isn't that stupid. I like bobcats.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 1:10 AM, Importunate Tom said:

My cat seems to have caught himself a baby bunny.

BeastBabyBunny.jpg

Or your cat has a kitten.

My trail camera took about 1,500 pictures of that blade of grass yesterday. Scrolling through them all took a while.

It looks like my cat was hunting for baby bunnies again. He didn't show up for dinner last night, apparently preferring free range, non-GMO bunnies. The property is pretty overrun with them at the moment so it works for me.

GrassBeastWabbit.jpg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

My trail camera took about 1,500 pictures of that blade of grass yesterday. Scrolling through them all took a while.

It looks like my cat was hunting for baby bunnies again. He didn't show up for dinner last night, apparently preferring free range, non-GMO bunnies. The property is pretty overrun with them at the moment so it works for me.

GrassBeastWabbit.jpg

I hope the hunter doesn’t become the hunted. 

On 4/30/2019 at 4:23 AM, Importunate Tom said:

The chickens have started living outside in their coop. At 2 am yesterday, my dogs started raising hell. The motion-activated spotlight near the coop lit up.

I got up but saw nothing.

Possibly related, half an hour later, this:

BobcatEyes.jpg

and

BobcatStrolling.jpg

There are five more pics of the bobcat slowly strolling away so I'm now pretty sure that it can't see the flash nor hear the camera.

That's no Bobcat. That there's yer Florida "Painter".....

14 hours ago, pbd said:

I hope the hunter doesn’t become the hunted. 

I think the other hunters have so many easier targets that they never get around to him.

13 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

That's no Bobcat. That there's yer Florida "Painter".....

If that's a painter where's his beer?

3 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

I think the other hunters have so many easier targets that they never get around to him.

If that's a painter where's his beer?

In the cooler in the truck.

DaytimeCoon.jpg

Got several pics of that coon as it took a lap around the run looking for weaknesses.

It didn't find any, as we still have four chickens.

2 pm is a weird time for a coon to be out foraging. I get shots of them at night most every night but very rarely in daylight. Especially when the temp in the shade is 90.

That looks quite secure. Your true test will be when the foxes show up. Maybe they will dig under the wire and extrude them thru the mesh? Our chickens run around the yard free day and night because the locals long ago ate all the predators (Philippines). I guess they sleep in a tree or somewhere. Lay their eggs on a pillow in a basket that wifey puts outside. Not even sure they're our chickens as they just kinda showed up. Kinda hilarious.

1 hour ago, El Boracho said:

That looks quite secure. Your true test will be when the foxes show up. Maybe they will dig under the wire and extrude them thru the mesh? Our chickens run around the yard free day and night because the locals long ago ate all the predators (Philippines). I guess they sleep in a tree or somewhere. Lay their eggs on a pillow in a basket that wifey puts outside. Not even sure they're our chickens as they just kinda showed up. Kinda hilarious.

There's a wire skirt that lays flat on the ground, shown best in post 33 above. Foxes are here but rare and shy, almost never seen in daylight. The birds are in the coop at night, so probably safe from foxes.

We do have Tegu lizards and Nile Monitors in this area. Both seem like critters that could dig/force their way under the edges.

I'm not sure if rattlesnakes eat chickens but I'm pretty sure that was a big rattlesnake that the hawk was carrying away in post 6 above. I'd bet a snake could squeeze under. Not so sure it could eat a chicken because they're getting pretty big. I guess if one did, I'd probably capture a really fat snake that could not squeeze back out.

13 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

I guess if one did, I'd probably capture a really fat snake that could not squeeze back out.

Being a proper red neck you would need to make the snake into a set of boots. Or at least boat shoes.

1 hour ago, DtM said:

Hey Tom,

Maybe I missed it but what is the camera you have installed?

Might do the same in the Blue Mountains (NSW Australia).

I thought they did a pretty good job of stamping manufacturer and model onto the images along with info one might want to know like time, date, temperature and (for some reason) barometric pressure.

It's a Moultrie 810. Has three cameras and can stitch together a panoramic photo from them if you want it to do that.

• 4 weeks later...

This bobcat looks quite a bit smaller than the one captured previously by my trail camera. That PVC pipe in the background stands 18" tall and is noticeably taller than the cat.

MFDC8592.jpg

Looks smaller than the one posted last April and appears to have a shorter tail too. A cropped in view:

2019-06-24bobcat-zoom.jpg

The chicken coop is just out of the pic to the right, where the bobcat is headed. All present this morning.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2019 at 3:57 AM, Snaggletooth said:

W What?  Ist theire sucha thinge?   (as a proper red-neck)                                          :)

Probably not, if the redneck does daily race-baiting in 2019.  Tom Ray has a five-year record of race-baiting on PA. He uses a half-dozen approaches to it.

Other red-necks may be okay, depending, but this crosses the line, IMO.

Yo dogballs, you are changing the ecology, while acting in ignorance. Consult your local game control officer for an education, before you lose a dog. Seriously.

5 hours ago, jocal505 said:

Probably not, if the redneck does daily race-baiting in 2019.  Tom Ray has a five-year record of race-baiting on PA. He uses a half-dozen approaches to it.

Other red-necks may be okay, depending, but this crosses the line, IMO.

No, there's only one approach, quoting jocal, and I keep it in Political Anarchy.

5 hours ago, jocal505 said:

Yo dogballs, you are changing the ecology, while acting in ignorance. Consult your local game control officer for an education, before you lose a dog. Seriously.

Yo, Joe, go back to PA with your bullshit.

Question:

I have a few year old trail cam, looking for 1 or 2 more

What is the standard theses days ? 

What I want is

(1) fastest time to wake up and start video/pix

(2) non visible IR light

(3) less than arn & leg

2 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

Question:

I have a few year old trail cam, looking for 1 or 2 more

What is the standard theses days ? 

What I want is

(1) fastest time to wake up and start video/pix

(2) non visible IR light

(3) less than arn & leg

My knowledge is probably too dated to answer. I looked on some hunting forums and such several years ago when I bought the previous one and decided Moultrie was a reasonably well-liked brand and I liked the panoramic ability. They were the only company I found with a panoramic one.

When I wanted a new one, I just found the one they're selling now, which is way better than the old one. It has three cameras and can stitch together a panoramic photo but I don't use that often. I just like having three cameras in one, pointing three directions.

I hit the start button and walk away and it seems to take pics pretty quickly so I get a few of my butt. I have it set to keep shooting as fast as possible when it detects motion. This results in lots of junk pics but I got four of the bobcat and three of the coyote in the last round. With the default 10 second delay they'd be gone with two pics at most. The crappy ones out at the edges of the flash.

The new flash isn't visible to humans and I haven't seen animals react to it.

I don't recall exactly what it cost but it seems like pretty cheap entertainment to me. I'd like to scatter more of them around the property but deleting a hundred or so images per day from one camera does get old at times. Not so sure I want more of it that bad.

On 7/8/2019 at 1:59 PM, Importunate Tom said:

No, there's only one approach, quoting jocal, and I keep it in Political Anarchy.

Yo, Joe, go back to PA with your bullshit.

Hi, Tom Ray. Good Morning.

Do you deny five years of steady racebaiting? Do you deny being a PIA with a pattern of daily racebaiting, in June?

Why do you want the race-baiting segregated to Political Anarchy?  Why not sustain it on GA for five years? :D

I usually get lots of daylight pictures of rabbits and squirrels but the first pictures taken yesterday were night shots of the coyote wandering past my Japanese persimmon tree.

On 7/13/2019 at 8:14 AM, Importunate Tom said:

I think dfw sailor is right in guessing that the streak of light is an insect passing close to the flash.

This one makes that more clear as you can see that the streak of light is between the camera and the tree, a distance of maybe 20 feet.

MFDC1169.jpg

Nice DangOl Wallaby, random.

I've had no luck getting critter pics near the pond or near our chickens lately so moved my camera out to the driveway. No critters there either in the past 24 hours but it did get a kind of artsy fartsy black and white pic of one of my favorite oak trees. This tree on the left was torn in half by Hurricane Charlie but survived and I've been trying to train it to grow in a fan shape from the two downed trunks ever since.

MFDC1301.jpg

One of the neighborhood squirrels has learned where I hang bananas after I cut them from the tree and is bold enough to brave the cats and dogs to steal them.

I hope it was this one:

MFDC2026.jpg

At least, I think that's a squirrel under the hawk. There's something furry and that looks like a squirrel tail on the right side of the bird. A cropped in view:

HawkCaughtSquirrel.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The hawk is still looking for that chicken dinner.

MFDC2406.jpg

And the bobcat is looking for that late night chicken snack. Fortunately, they haven't figured out a way into the coop.

MFDC2448.jpg

And Libby continues to torment gopher tortoises. The strange part is, the camera caught another pic almost identical to the one below an hour later. My guess is that she got distracted and it escaped and did not quite get back home before she found it again.

MFDC2439.jpg

Tom, try linking smaller files, they take fucking ages to load here.

Cold westerlies will always have the wildlife on an east facing slop in the early morning, before they hide for the day.  No trail cameras required.

When the days start getting longer the Roos get frisky!   You don't want one of those grabbing you from behind.

roos1.thumb.jpg.98f8cab1430b4dd9106f31f8a2a7aabf.jpg

2 hours ago, random said:

Tom, try linking smaller files, they take fucking ages to load here.

Those are straight from the camera, about 1 to 2.5 Mb.

I used to crop, resize, and compress such things but figured I have about the slowest internet around and it's not too bad for me so must be much better for everyone else. I guess not?

25 minutes ago, Repastinate Tom said:

Those are straight from the camera, about 1 to 2.5 Mb.

I used to crop, resize, and compress such things but figured I have about the slowest internet around and it's not too bad for me so must be much better for everyone else. I guess not?

Are they embedded or linked?

10 minutes ago, random said:

Are they embedded or linked?

The answer is kinda "yes."

https://www.tropicalboating.com/2019/08/a-hawk-a-bobcat-and-a-naughty-dog

Thumbnails appear in my blog and are linked to the original file I uploaded.

I could make that file a lot smaller instead of just using it straight out of the camera. I used to do that, as a check on file sizes earlier in this thread will show.

I just figured 2.5 Mb isn't that big any more so quit bothering with it.

17 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Mine loads quick, but then I am way closer to Tom than most of you.

I think the server is actually in Nebraska or someplace.

3 hours ago, random said:

It's the delay from the server then.  Sometimes it's busy and feeds slow for the images.  Low priority.  Other times it loads immediately.

It's your website.

Could be. My wife is a web designer and puts my sites on a bit of the space she has for her paying customers. Since they're paying and I'm playing, I hope they are somehow prioritized.

20 hours ago, Repastinate Tom said:

My wife is a web designer and puts my sites on a bit of the space she has for her paying customers.

That's a bit sly Tom.  'Vampiring' from her customers without their knowledge.

11 hours ago, random said:

That's a bit sly Tom.  'Vampiring' from her customers without their knowledge.

Well, no, she rents a shitton of server space and rents some out. If I use some of the rest, that has no effect on her customers. She also uses some of the rest, which also has no effect on customers. They pay for hosting and get it and what happens to the rest of the space that they're not paying for is none of their business.