• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bobcat at the bobcat-feeder (gopher holes) today in our NorCal yard.  We've seen this one (probably) at night on the security cams, but today I was able to use my good camera, looking through the bedr

The Bobcat seems to think it owns the place.  Here it is again today:

One of my kids lives in southern Oregon, in the Klamath Mountain foothills.  A few days ago he caught a Fisher (similar to a weasel) on camera:  

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Let me guess, "Fah"?

Yeah...... Just like the "King tides" around New England....... That's it!

The first set of batteries in the new trail camera died today. It takes 12 AA's.

I noticed when deleting photos that it fluctuated between saying 14% and 18% battery remaining. I figured that should mean at least a few more days.

When I got it set up and hit the "start" key the display just said, "Low battery shutting down."

The old one took 6 C size batteries and didn't last anywhere near this long.

Meanwhile, in my area and other parts of SW Florida, game cameras are catching several panthers and a bobcat that have an apparent neurological problem and are walking funny. They think it might be from eating poisoned rodents but they don't know and there are other possible causes.

32 minutes ago, Repastinate Tom said:

They think it might be from eating poisoned rodents but they don't know and there are other possible causes. 

This is not good. An apex predator.

34 minutes ago, Repastinate Tom said:

Meanwhile, in my area and other parts of SW Florida, game cameras are catching several panthers and a bobcat that have an apparent neurological problem and are walking funny. They think it might be from eating poisoned rodents but they don't know and there are other possible causes.

Sawe that on the niewes tinite.  Sadde.

8 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

This is not good. An apex predator.

8 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Sawe that on the niewes tinite.  Sadde.

Not good at all and I didn't link any story because the videos of fucked up panther kittens are too sad.

I bought my first game camera in part because I know panthers are around but have only seen one in over 20 years of living here, and that was when I first moved here. Now I'm a bit afraid that if I ever do get a panther picture it will be sad.

I haven't ever set my new camera to record video instead of taking pictures but am considering changing that practice just in case I can add to the info about this problem. I'm just not sure I have the time to sift through hours of videos of squirrels and rabbits. Throwing away all the pictures of them takes long enough.

23 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

Neurological damage in the bobcat & panther.

? does that fit with any of the rat poisons ?

? Why do they call panther "endangered" in FL ?  ,, )it's the same  mt lion as out west)

Bromethalin is a neurotoxin that affects cats and dogs.

There used to be an argument over whether the Florida panther is a different animal but DNA testing recently showed it's the same.

2 hours ago, Repastinate Tom said:

Bromethalin is a neurotoxin that affects cats and dogs.

There used to be an argument over whether the Florida panther is a different animal but DNA testing recently showed it's the same.

There is a difference. FL panthers can't "roar" or scream the way other panthers do. They sort of purr, and hiss, and snort, but no screaming or roaring.

Ground is bare from mowing and feeding deer and turkeys. We've got thousands of oaks and acorns here and plenty of native grass, we just like to spoil them. Some have been here for years. Gets a little intimidating feeding them by hand and having those racks rapped around your head. We have plenty of mountain lions and bears, coyotes, foxes, etc. Our subdivision is a no hunting area so the bucks hang out here. Had a doe get taken right out our back door a few years ago by a cougar. 

About 3/4 mile from us. Crackheads on someone's property.

• Like 2

Looks like a junk yard..... No offense, but you live there?

21 hours ago, random said:

That's impressive.  So they placed the dead deer there to attract it?

No, the cougar had taken the deer earlier, came back for it.

6 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Looks like a junk yard..... No offense, but you live there?

No. This was posted on FB by someone. I recognized the area. It is about 3/4 miles from me.

Good thread .It got me interested in my trail cam again. Mine is a cheapy that eats up 12 AA batteries in a few days. I set it out last night to see what's eating the chicken feed. All the camera caught was a rat and bunch of chicken selfies. The rat is a regular visitor and can't figure out how to get rid of him without poison. Here's one of the chicken selfies. That's Bertha and Larry.

IMAG0967.jpg

2 hours ago, F_L said:

Good thread .It got me interested in my trail cam again. Mine is a cheapy that eats up 12 AA batteries in a few days. I set it out last night to see what's eating the chicken feed. All the camera caught was a rat and bunch of chicken selfies. The rat is a regular visitor and can't figure out how to get rid of him without poison. Here's one of the chicken selfies. That's Bertha and Larry.

IMAG0967.jpg

Surprised Larry hasn't killed the rat.

1 hour ago, random said:

I have used live traps, just a wire cage with a flap mechanism.  Produce store.  They work well.

Hadn't thought of a live trap. My only rat removal techniques have involved poison or snaptraps . The rat doesn't seem to be much of a problem but I'll keep that option open.

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Surprised Larry hasn't killed the rat.

Larry is a laid back rooster .Daily they share their scratch with the squirrels and deer. As long as they don't threaten a hen he is OK. I startled a doe once that jumped back and ran into a hen. The hen squawked and Larry went ballistic. Pretty funny watching a chicken chasing a deer.

• Downvote 1
9 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Centralle Parke, he lives Sutton Plaice.                              :)

I liked that people are glued to their phones and don't even see him!

16 hours ago, F_L said:

Good thread .It got me interested in my trail cam again. Mine is a cheapy that eats up 12 AA batteries in a few days.

If you run it continuously for four months as I just did on a single set of 12 AA's, you might find it's not so cheap after all. In less than a year, you will have spent the 300 bucks or so that my camera cost.

12 hours ago, Repastinate Tom said:

If you run it continuously for four months as I just did on a single set of 12 AA's, you might find it's not so cheap after all. In less than a year, you will have spent the 300 bucks or so that my camera cost.

I get a couple of years from a set of AA (8?) in my relatively cheap Moultrie game cameras. On the downside their detection capabilities are only marginal. They miss half the animal events in preference to moving shadows on a windy day.

On 5/29/2019 at 7:56 AM, Repastinate Tom said:
On 5/29/2019 at 6:04 AM, DtM said:

Hey Tom,

Maybe I missed it but what is the camera you have installed?

Might do the same in the Blue Mountains (NSW Australia).

I thought they did a pretty good job of stamping manufacturer and model onto the images along with info one might want to know like time, date, temperature and (for some reason) barometric pressure.

It's a Moultrie 810. Has three cameras and can stitch together a panoramic photo from them if you want it to do that.

I tried to look up my camera yesterday and found that I had a bout of dyslexia when entering the name. It's a Moultrie P-180i. I renamed it so future pics will have the correct model number in the info strip.

8 hours ago, El Boracho said:

I get a couple of years from a set of AA (8?) in my relatively cheap Moultrie game cameras. On the downside their detection capabilities are only marginal. They miss half the animal events in preference to moving shadows on a windy day.

Two years? Wow.

I have nothing to use to compare motion detection ability and can't really know what my camera has missed but catching a hawk flying away with a snake was pretty impressive to me. (Post 6 in this thread for any who missed it.)

Yeah, I don't know how the batteries last so long. Maybe the cameras are asleep half the time. They are watching a trail. It is one way in and out of a box canyon...for humans anyway. So they very often trigger on people one way but not the other. Or trigger when person only has a foot in view but never again as they walk past. So they must miss plenty. Nevertheless we see lions, deer, bobcats and trespassers. Anticipate getting a bear someday...rare here.

It is dense redwood forest. So a nearby wind-tickled spot of warm sunlight will get hundreds of unwanted shots. There are some tricks to placement. Very cool tech, regardless. Someday want to upgrade to better cams.

On 8/22/2019 at 5:19 AM, Mike in Seattle said:

? Why do they call panther "endangered" in FL ?  ,, )it's the same  mt lion as out west)

On 8/23/2019 at 5:00 AM, Repastinate Tom said:

, from NWF    https://www.nwf.org/Educational-Resources/Wildlife-Guide/Mammals/Florida-Panther

The main way to tell a Florida panther from other subspecies of mountain lion is by looking at the tail and back. Florida panthers have a crooked tail and a unique patch of fur on the back. The back fur is almost like a cowlick, not conforming to the rest of the panther’s fur. Florida panthers are about six to seven feet (1.8 to 2.1 meters) long, with males growing bigger than females.

That sounds like a genetic defect in this population  ( not to minimize whatever is affecting these particular animals )

• 2 weeks later...

It continues to be tough being a gopher tortoise in doggy territory. From yesterday:

LibGopherSept19.jpg

As for the camera, the other day it was like this:

moultriecammoisture.jpg

That moisture on the lens of camera number three is on the inside.

I took out the batteries and left the door open and put it where the air conditioner blows for most of a day and it seems to have dried it out. Not sure how moisture got inside in the first place.

45 minutes ago, random said:

Bugger.

I'm going to have to buy one.  An animal has started shitting in open ground and then scrapping dirt and leaves over it to form a mound.  Must be a cat I think but I have not seen this before.

If it is a cat, don't forget to consult Mikey on how best to treat it humanely.....

FKT

25 minutes ago, random said:

I have a cage trap but cats are hard to fool.  Last time I all caught was bandicoots.

I've caught a few possums. They don't take it kindly either. I make sure the trap is at the base of a tree and the possum nose is pointing that way before I open the gate to let them out.

FKT

Checked the garden this morning and something has eaten the tomato plants, they were about 300mm high and doing well.

All the leaves eaten off, stalks remaining.  I suspect Eastern Swamp Hens.  Those fuckers eat anything and they patrol around here on dawn.  Might be hares, but what the fuck likes tomato plants and leaves the other veges alone?

More work for a camera.

1 hour ago, random said:

Checked the garden this morning and something has eaten the tomato plants, they were about 300mm high and doing well.

All the leaves eaten off, stalks remaining.  I suspect Eastern Swamp Hens.  Those fuckers eat anything and they patrol around here on dawn.  Might be hares, but what the fuck likes tomato plants and leaves the other veges alone?

More work for a camera.

Tomato horn worms. Look for what might look like fairly large collections of mouse droppings under the plants.

Most mammals wont eat the foliage of tomatoes. Squirrels and rodents and many birds will eat the fruit.

8 hours ago, Repastinate Tom said:

Looks like that condensation won't create any problems at all for my camera.

Mostly because a large branch fell and smashed it today.

Bad luck, will you replace it Tom?

8 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Tomato horn worms. Look for what might look like fairly large collections of mouse droppings under the plants.

Most mammals wont eat the foliage of tomatoes. Squirrels and rodents and many birds will eat the fruit.

You could be right, they looked odd with just the leaves missing.  Will check tomorrow morning, black here now.

They were cherry tomatoes, tough as, I have not had a problem like this before, ever.

11 hours ago, random said:

More work for a camera.

If you were in Ohio, the answer would be Deer.  They get to the other plants, they just like Tomato leaves first.

Cats tend to be at least a little circumspect about where they poop because they're little critters and are a bit skittish about other predators.  Feral cats tend take a dump near walls/bushes, often in flower beds, cause the ground is soft.  For a cat to take a dump in the middle of the field means the cat is SUPER confident about his surroundings which would mean you'd see him out there all the time.  Doesn't mean it didn't happen but my bet is something else.

9 hours ago, DtM said:

Are those the huge green things?

yes

How long does it stay dark in Australia these days?

Essentially 12 hours between sunrise and sunset at the moment in Sydney. I guess add half an hour each end for light so 11 hours of dark(ish).

Not that is has any effect on that but daylight saving starts very soon. 

59 minutes ago, DtM said:

Essentially 12 hours between sunrise and sunset at the moment in Sydney. I guess add half an hour each end for light so 11 hours of dark(ish).

Not that is has any effect on that but daylight saving starts very soon. 

Gosh.... Kinda like here, except standard time will start soon. Funny how that seems to happen every March, and September, isn't it?

OK........ Enough is enough already!!!!!

What's eating your tomatoes numbnuts!?

8 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:08 PM, Repastinate Tom said:

Looks like that condensation won't create any problems at all for my camera.

Mostly because a large branch fell and smashed it today.

Nanotermites? 

What do thay haivein Fla?  Satsquatch?  Skunk Ape? Bigge Foote?

25 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

What do thay haivein Fla?  Satsquatch?  Skunk Ape? Bigge Foote?

Worse...... Polyes-termites..... Fuckers eat plastic..... PVC plumbing, boats, breast implants..... They're unstoppable!

12 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

OK........ Enough is enough already!!!!!

What's eating your tomatoes numbnuts!?

Fucked if I know.  No turds around the base of the plants.

Leave are growing back.  Might be a bandicoot.

Not sure we have hornworms in Australia.

4 hours ago, random said:

Fucked if I know.  No turds around the base of the plants.

Leave are growing back.  Might be a bandicoot.

Not sure we have hornworms in Australia.

Tomato hornworms are found all across North America, and Australia.

15 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Am I mistaken in thinking that Bandicoots were omnivorous? 

Maybe the bandicoots ate the hornworms that ate the leaves.......

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

You fugger - I haven't thought about that song since my kids were infants.... 

I don't know why......

:D

There was another bobcat visit yesterday evening right around sunset.

MFDC0984w.jpg

The weird thing to me is that the chickens stayed out in their run for about 15 minutes while the bobcat prowled around it.

MFDC1000w.jpg

That pic was taken 13 minutes after the other one and shows the bobcat looking in the direction from which we were approaching. There were two more pictures of it making a hasty retreat.

MFDC1018w.jpg

But it did return in the middle of the night. More here.

Saw a big ass Bobcat the other day..... 80-90 Lbs. I didn't know they got that big down here. I'm guessing I know what it is wiping out my Guinea fowl flock......

1 hour ago, Hypercapnic Tom said:

I've never heard of any that big in FL.

Twice as tall, and twice as long as my dog, and not sleek. Full of the neighbor's chickens, possibly, but definitely very well fed.

On 10/1/2019 at 10:21 AM, Mrleft8 said:

Twice as tall, and twice as long as my dog, and not sleek. Full of the neighbor's chickens, possibly, but definitely very well fed.

Almost every day on the Facebook Backyard Chickens group I see reports of chicken massacres. Someone lost 12 of them yesterday. Dogs, foxes, bobcats, coons, weasels, and lots of other critters seem to find chickens delicious, or at least fun to kill.

Our neighborhood bobcat still hasn't done any harm to our chickens but is probably trying to figure out a way to get at them.

This pic and a couple more were taken about 30 minutes after the camera caught my cat in the area.

MFDC1740.jpg

4 minutes ago, Hypercapnic Tom said:

Almost every day on the Facebook Backyard Chickens group I see reports of chicken massacres. Someone lost 12 of them yesterday. Dogs, foxes, bobcats, coons, weasels, and lots of other critters seem to find chickens delicious, or at least fun to kill.

They cane be noisey and smelley.                                                  :)

4 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:
4 hours ago, Hypercapnic Tom said:

They cane be noisey and smelley.             

Can't we all, Snaggs, can't we all?

• Like 1
On 10/1/2019 at 8:57 AM, Mrleft8 said:

Saw a big ass Bobcat the other day..... 80-90 Lbs. I didn't know they got that big down here. I'm guessing I know what it is wiping out my Guinea fowl flock......

There no such thing as a 80# bobcat in Florida or anywhere.  They might get up to 40# gorging on chickens.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobcat#Physical_characteristics

17 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

There no such thing as a 80# bobcat in Florida or anywhere.  They might get up to 40# gorging on chickens.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobcat#Physical_characteristics

Probably true. We have surprisingly large looking Bobcats here in CA. Rabbit fed. Startling to see on the trail in the evenings. I suspect that while they are tall and long they are svelte compared to the domestic dog. Thus more like 30-40 pounds.

Well.......................... One of the neighbors shot it the other day. Skewered it really, while deer hunting with a crossbow. Weighed in at 47Lbs...... Not legal at this time of year, so he didn't report it.... No idea what he did with the carcass.... Sad, but it was killing off his pigs and chickens, as well as my Guineas, and another neighbor's chickens as well..... I'd rather have had it trapped and relocated to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Wash. DC...... But c'est la vie.....

3 hours ago, DtM said:

Isn't it your Bobcat?

It looks like it could be a hawk or a bobcat. It's a Rorschach critter.

I put this one on the Backyard Chickens group on Facebook and there are a bunch of people who think it's a panther.

MFDC2076.jpg

It's not a panther. It's the same bobcat I usually get on the game camera.

11 hours ago, Hypercapnic Tom said:

Not sure what this is.

MFDC1950.jpg

Closer look

MFDC1950w.jpg

Wild Turkey?

Chupacabra?

Experimenting with the video mode. I can't figure out how to get it to only take videos, not pictures.

Yesterday, the bobcat came by in the mid-morning, which is weird. In this clip, it's circling the chicken coop.

I can't figure out how the bobcat got to where it is without getting its picture taken either coming or going but that's what happened.

Do your chickens have any feathers left on them? 

With all the predators slinking around their coop, apparently 24/7 I imagine they would have all sorts of nerve related malady's 

4 hours ago, pbd said:

Do your chickens have any feathers left on them? 

With all the predators slinking around their coop, apparently 24/7 I imagine they would have all sorts of nerve related malady's 

They seem fine, other than the not laying eggs yet part. They were hatched in the beginning of April.

The chicken run is just out of the frame, right where the bobcat is looking. No evidence it tried to enter. Doing so would have probably resulted in lots of noise and dogs arriving pretty quickly, so maybe the bobcat was just being discrete?

The extension I made to the chicken run really isn't all that bobcat-proof but I saw no evidence it tried to enter. Maybe this one knows from experience what a trap is and thinks this looks like a trap?

I'm really not sure why we still have chickens. Bobcats are powerful, smart critters.

Lots of people on the FB Backyard Chickens group thought my pic from post 180 was a panther so I've taken to calling the bobcat a short-tailed panther.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Hypercapnic Tom said:

They seem fine, other than the not laying eggs yet part. They were hatched in the beginning of April.

The chicken run is just out of the frame, right where the bobcat is looking. No evidence it tried to enter. Doing so would have probably resulted in lots of noise and dogs arriving pretty quickly, so maybe the bobcat was just being discrete?

The extension I made to the chicken run really isn't all that bobcat-proof but I saw no evidence it tried to enter. Maybe this one knows from experience what a trap is and thinks this looks like a trap?

I'm really not sure why we still have chickens. Bobcats are powerful, smart critters.

Lots of people on the FB Backyard Chickens group thought my pic from post 180 was a panther so I've taken to calling the bobcat a short-tailed panther.

Older cats are opportunistic (i.e., lazy) hunters unless they're hungry.  They do a 'make or buy' decision every time they see food.  I've watched cats literally sun themselves next to prey and ignore them when they're full.  Young cats tend to be more hyper.

My guess is that it's a mature cat that is finding all the food it needs and probably just looking around to see if one of the chickens has happened to find its OWN way out.  Otherwise, not worth the effort.

I joined the I Slipped Messing About With Boat And Fractured My Hip Club.  Tom, at least you were using the boat as it should be.  I was using it as a platform to trim trees in the yard and slipped on the fender and at 66 have now had my first bone fracture.

Anyway, in rehab limited tv channels and watched  local tv news.  They showed bears down in Golden Gate.  A few years ago some visited Lakewood Ranch MHP.  

They will make for some real cool pictures in your yard.