• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I still can't figure out those lights but the new camera has been fun. I have it set on "zero" delay, which means it will shoot pictures as fast as it can as long as something is moving in front

I am ready for my closeup Mr. Director

Local Bobcat just now. From my phone

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Spring Gobbler season opens on March 6.  

People spend a lot of time and money to get a shot like that.

The camera is close enough to the house that if I happened to be on the porch with a gun and saw them, I could pick one off. Thing is, they're smart and skittish. I still haven't actually seen them myself and if I do, it'll be a glimpse as they disappear. In the video above, they were calmly walking north in the first few clips then making tracks the other way in the last one. I suspect one of my animals noticed them, or maybe I came out the door and didn't notice them. Anyway, I'd like to eat one but don't think I have the patience and skills to actually kill one so I haven't ever hunted them and won't start now.

18 hours ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

The camera is close enough to the house that if I happened to be on the porch with a gun and saw them, I could pick one off. Thing is, they're smart and skittish and have great eye sight. I still haven't actually seen them myself and if I do, it'll be a glimpse as they disappear. In the video above, they were calmly walking north in the first few clips then making tracks the other way in the last one. I suspect one of my animals noticed them, or maybe I came out the door and didn't notice them. Anyway, I'd like to eat one but don't think I have the patience and skills to actually kill one so I haven't ever hunted them and won't start now.

FIFY

On 3/7/2021 at 2:38 PM, pbd said:

FIFY

I think people misunderestimate how smart birds are. Anyway, they're smart enough to avoid even being seen by me.

I enjoy seeing them and all the other critters on the camera. I see possums, coons,  and armadillos all the time on the camera but rarely see those in person either.

2 hours ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

I think people misunderestimate how smart birds are. Anyway, they're smart enough to avoid even being seen by me.

I enjoy seeing them and all the other critters on the camera. I see possums, coons,  and armadillos all the time on the camera but rarely see those in person either.

I have a Guinea fowl. The last one left after raising a dozen last spring. His name is "Ellis".... As in "L" "S" Last Standing. He's pretty smart for a Punk rock chicken. He's learned to trust me, and lets me pet him on occasion. He chases the puppy, the cat, and any neighbor dogs that come in to the yard. He knows exactly when feeding time is, and where it is. So far he's been smart enough to avoid coyotes, or hawks, or owls. He roosts inside the garage at night, not out in the trees like the others did.

I won't say he's "smart" smart, but he has more brains than a Dog I've seen....

On 1/8/2021 at 2:22 AM, boomer said:

During the day, when the lower pasture isn't being used by livestock in the winter, the doe bring their young in as well as give birth and wean their young. When the doe hear coyotes in the spring when the grass has started to grow, they hide the newborns in the tall grass, jump the fences and draw the coyotes off on a chase, returning later in the day. Final image is partial image of the old place from the air - the road goes from behind the tree at the top of the triangle, down thru the trees towards the former hydro dam.

96100508_10217064641837390_1509646610445893632_o.jpg

cool place booms...  but you need to add a 2000sqft shop somewhere on there..

9 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Door to the right, in the corner of the underground hangar

- DSK

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 7:26 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Have two shops in the house totaling 1400 sq. ft and a 24'x40' shop out of the pic in the trees, there are also two more structures, one behind the house and another for critters just out of the picture to the left of the stones lower right. Also have more equipment, tractors and mower then shown in the pic. My wife moving equipment with her newest compact tractor.

tractor1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Still seeing the regular crowd around my camera, including the bobcat

2021-05-12BobcatTrlCam.jpg

And coyote

2021-05-14CoyoteTrlCam.jpg

But my neighbor told me he saw a panther wandering through his yard in daylight yesterday, so I moved the camera to that part of his yard. Many of us have seen panthers around here, including me many years ago, and I first bought my original trail camera hoping to get a shot of one. Still hoping!

8 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

Still seeing the regular crowd around my camera, including the bobcat

2021-05-12BobcatTrlCam.jpg

And coyote

2021-05-14CoyoteTrlCam.jpg

But my neighbor told me he saw a panther wandering through his yard in daylight yesterday, so I moved the camera to that part of his yard. Many of us have seen panthers around here, including me many years ago, and I first bought my original trail camera hoping to get a shot of one. Still hoping!

I heard one (Panther), or at least I think it was one the other night, and the donkeys about a quarter mile away were braying up a storm...

I haven't seen a Florida Panther that I can verify yet, but the Catamount that I saw up in Vermont was majestic.

Just like an Elephant, or Dall Sheep, I can't imagine how anyone would want to kill one just because they could.

After a few days in my neighbor's yard, only got one of those short tailed panthers.

And even cropped in and "enhanced" by Photoshop it's a lousy pic.

MFDC1284cw.jpg

He has LOTS of bunnies over there, and a hawk that knows it.

MFDC1346cw.jpg

I got a pic of the hawk sitting on top of his outboard engine (just out of the cropped pic above to the right.) Then, an hour later, this pic of the hawk in flight:

MFDC1352cw.jpg

Can anyone recommend, to a trail cam novice, a Brand/Make/Model, etc. for critter/property monitoring in the mountains of W. North Carolina?  Have seen lots of the usual in that area, white tail, bobcat, turkey, racoon and even elk and black bear, but am always too slow with the cell phone cam to snap a decent picture as proof.   Thank you!!!

47 minutes ago, Pointy End said:

Can anyone recommend, to a trail cam novice, a Brand/Make/Model, etc. for critter/property monitoring in the mountains of W. North Carolina?  Have seen lots of the usual in that area, white tail, bobcat, turkey, racoon and even elk and black bear, but am always too slow with the cell phone cam to snap a decent picture as proof.   Thank you!!!

I can supplement yer Raccoon stock with fuckers who don't give a fuck

these fuckers will stare you down

you get plenty of time to charge yer fone and then get a pic of them Fucking-Up Shit

had one defiantly climb a next-door neighbor's fence and stare me down

I happened to have a truck/trailer parked with sum lumber in the back

I grabbed a 1" X 4" board about 6' long and walked to about 5' away from the fucker

fucker kept staring me down

Till out from Stage Right the end of the board (Flying flat) as hard as I could swing it

Connected with the Fuckers left as it made a Pleasant Sound of a SOLID Hit

Fucker landed on the ground with a UN-Cushend Thud

I went inside my house before the other 4 (they roll in a pack of 5) showed

didn't kill it Sadly and neighbors said they heard the THUD

was easy to tell that one from then on

As it would Stare ya Down

But kept glancing to the Left :lol::rolleyes::);)

8 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

After a few days in my neighbor's yard, only got one of those short tailed panthers.

And even cropped in and "enhanced" by Photoshop it's a lousy pic.

MFDC1284cw.jpg

He has LOTS of bunnies over there, and a hawk that knows it.

MFDC1346cw.jpg

I got a pic of the hawk sitting on top of his outboard engine (just out of the cropped pic above to the right.) Then, an hour later, this pic of the hawk in flight:

MFDC1352cw.jpg

I was hoping that some panther scat would be found in Mudrock Village.

On 3/6/2021 at 11:11 AM, Fat Point Jack said:

Spring Gobbler season opens on March 6.  

People spend a lot of time and money to get a shot like that.

This one walked into my garden 6 feet away from me last week- hung out and strolled around for a half-hour or so. The picture's from my iPad. Northport, Long Island, NY

IMG_0364.JPG

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Pointy End said:

Mine's a Moultrie. I looked on hunting forums several years ago and it seemed to be well-liked. When a branch smashed it in 2019, I bought the new version of the same model. I like it but really don't know what else is available. I like the one I have because it has three cameras covering 180 degrees but it might be possible to just buy three cameras for the same money. I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...

I think my trail camera got a juvenile bald eagle. I've gotten lots of pictures of red shouldered hawks on it but this bird looks bigger, browner, and has fatter legs. I added on a short clipe of one of the hawks taken a couple of days later in nearly the same spot for comparison.

• 2 months later...

In the farm shed this morning.

Looks like it's mating season.

image.thumb.png.5b4fc03d5ceae291d7850a9f076e7c5d.png

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Caught on one of Grabs Jr's game cams last night...if this is what it looks like it hasn't "existed" in MS in the last 80-100 years according to Mississippi wildlife experts...for scale that's a knocked over corn feeder it's walking behind...

IMG_6415.jpg

2 hours ago, Grabbler said:

...for scale that's a knocked over corn feeder it's walking behind...

in DAGO that is not a useful reference of measure

WTF does corn eat anyway ?

1 minute ago, dolphinmaster said:

Not even early am,  banker cat?

They show up all hours, day or night.  Mountain lions, too, but very seldom seen (once I did see a lion cub sitting on top of one of our fenceposts mid-day).  And coyotes, and the very occasional black bear.  This is western Sonoma County, a few miles from the ocean. 

Up in Friday Harbor, the biggest four-legged predator is the fox, but there have been bears who swim from island to island -- never seen one of those though.

This one isn't from a trailcam, but still a great video from San Juan Island:

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, valis said:

They show up all hours, day or night.  Mountain lions, too, but very seldom seen (once I did see a lion cub sitting on top of one of our fenceposts mid-day).  And coyotes, and the very occasional black bear.  This is western Sonoma County, a few miles from the ocean. 

Up in Friday Harbor, the biggest four-legged predator is the fox, but there have been bears who swim from island to island -- never seen one of those though.

This one isn't from a trailcam, but still a great video from San Juan Island:

in regards to Island to Island travelers

snakes LOVE to Swim

don't know if salt water makes any difference

a swimming snake in the ocean is likely lower on the food chain

wonder about Birds or Prey plucking a rattler

guess it just another thing to eat no matter where

would have to taste better with sum salt fursure