Antrim 27's, how many

25 minutes ago, SuddenlyBrown said:

If you really are set on an A27, you should just get that one in WA. They do not come up all too often. Maybe the happiness of a new boat will counter the stress of getting it transported across the country.

You are probably right. 

Aloha, one and all!  Seem to recall that 26 were made, and a 27 is being made out of carbon right now, with the purpose of being raced doublehanded to Hawaii in 2020.  If she's kept in Hawaii, that will make 3 there.

I'm the original owner of hull 13, "Cascade", on SF Bay.  Aquila11, hoping to sail with you this July 4th when I'm in your neck of the woods.

Best place to exchange information is our FB page:  https://www.facebook.com/Antrim-27-Association-122443377775275/

Cheers,

4 hours ago, inboard said:

Hull number 4 happily lake sailing in the okanogan ,if you like sailing get the Antrim if you you want to save money I'm sure there's probably a mcgregger closer to your neck of the woods IMG_0127.thumb.JPG.aa69e9c905173f95320ac77db8d6045d.JPG

What is she currently named?  Original name was "Owslarah", from Watership Down, the next owner (Graham) played off that by naming her "Killer Rabbit". 

Nicely done.  Did you change from stainless to aluminum stanchions and pulpits?  If so, most of us switch to vertical stern pulpits, as getting weight aft on SF Bay is important.  Pics over on the FB page of mine.

#13, no just painted the stainless stantions and I can see why you'd go to a vertical rear pulpit but we here on the lake probably on a rule get less breeze than the bay mostly between 10- 15 knots and as much as the Dog loves a breeze we really sail light air the majority of the time . Varan, won't be doing Whidbey (sad) but there's a good chance of doing the new race next year in Point Roberts

4 hours ago, inboard said:

#13, no just painted the stainless stantions and I can see why you'd go to a vertical rear pulpit but we here on the lake probably on a rule get less breeze than the bay mostly between 10- 15 knots and as much as the Dog loves a breeze we really sail light air the majority of the time . Varan, won't be doing Whidbey (sad) but there's a good chance of doing the new race next year in Point Roberts

Hope to see y'all at Point Roberts. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, stinky said:

I'm hoping Jim, Jim or Buzz will post some build pics of the new one.

Not likely, though they might get posted on our FB page.  I'll check in with him.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
37 minutes ago, Irrational 14 said:

That thing is killer! Should be a weapon.

What's it blowing in that pic, like 5 knots? Looks really powered up with that Monster Main - go big or go home.

Probably 10 knots.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:52 AM, Mike in CT said:

Ha! of course. Murphy's law is in full affect in my boat search. Any boat I'm even remotely interested in will inevitably be as far away as possible.  

Yep

The other working principle is that the best boats sell the quickest, so by the time you find the boat, and make the time to check it out, somebody closer will snap it up.

FB- Doug

4 hours ago, Aquila11 said:

I believe the solar panels replaced the windows entirely.

Correct, and where you sail, that main would be a giant killer.  And only a 3 second a mile rating hit...

13 minutes ago, port tack said:

More weight in the Keel?  there had to be some weight savings going to carbon in the hull?  Right?

Yes to both, resulting in the displacement remained the same.  Performance will be improved with both and particularly the square head main.

• Like 1

Displacement didn't change.

Well I've heard 300lbs lighter in the hull thrown around by a few that heard first hand.    So again, a much lighter hull.....   you are now saying more in the keel so the displacements the same (a major increase in righting moment then),   And an increase in sail area.   Someone should buy a lottery ticket if they only got a 3 sec. hit.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, solosailor said:

Well I've heard 300lbs lighter in the hull thrown around by a few that heard first hand.    So again, a much lighter hull.....   you are now saying more in the keel so the displacements the same (a major increase in righting moment then),   And an increase in sail area.   Someone should buy a lottery ticket if they only got a 3 sec. hit.

That's in the ballpark, though Jim feels that's an optimistic total savings.  And yes, buy a lotto ticket.  Surprised it was only a 3 second hit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 4/9/2019 at 9:47 AM, Mike in CT said:

Wow, that will be cool but pricey. I guess it makes sense since there do not seem to be any used ones available. 

One for sale in the classifieds north of Toronto 

On 10/3/2020 at 12:12 PM, solosailor said:

Don't forget EC6 rigging.   200lbs added to the bulb from the reduced hull weight.   Larger main, carbon rigging, increased bulb weight, lighter stiffer hull = 3 sec/mile.    

It's shit like this that make people complain about PHRF as much as they do.

In my book thats a 12 second hit, full stop. And still it's generous!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jackolantern said:

It's shit like this that make people complain about PHRF as much as they do.

In my book thats a 12 second hit, full stop. And still it's generous!!

exactly.

when I was looking for an Antrim to buy and couldn't find one I bought a Carrera 280.  Nothing to do with that boat specifically, but I got fed up with PHRF, bought a viper 640 and have been much happier so far. 

P.S. Anyone want to buy a Carrera 280?

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...
On 9/17/2021 at 9:20 PM, Jason P said:

I am interested in an Antrim 27, anyone know of one that might be for sale?

Perhaps.  DM me.