JPK launched the first 1030 yesterday in a growing field of 32 ft do everything boats

psycho tiller

The new do everything, 32-33 ft racer cruiser, shorthanded, weapon of mass fun market just became a little more crowded with the first JPK 1030 splashing yesterday.  Interesting to me how the JPK 1030, J/99, Sunfast 3300, Ofcet 32, Figaro, and probably a couple others (Pogo?) seem to have all emerged around the same time.  Coincidence?  Result of secret spy intel amongst designers and builders?  Just a response to the growing market for shorthanded ocean racers?  Will MacGregor come out with a new motor sailor of the same genre? :D

The JPK 1030 gets my vote but I'm biased.  I seriously considered ordering a 1030 a while ago but found a used 1080 that didn't require waiting 2 years.  Will be interesting to see how the 1030 does in the Spi Ouest France in a couple weeks.  The first JPK 1030 just splashed yesterday, not much time to get it dialed in but I'm sure JP will get her figured out and moving fast.

Link to english translation JPK website: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.jpk.fr/&prev=search

English translation Article https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=fr&sp=nmt4&u=https://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagne/lorient-56100/lorient-le-chantier-naval-jpk-composites-met-son-dernier-ne-l-eau-6304112&xid=25657,15700019,15700186,15700191,15700253,15700256,15700259&usg=ALkJrhiJUxjuFSwaOSQPCfzasgX263oajw

IMG_5965.JPG

JPK_-_01.jpeg

You're probably thinking of the MMW 33? Pogo isn't really in the racing rating market - a lot of Pogo 30s on the Transquadra but generally not top performers (at least until Pogo recently increased the mast length).

3 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Possibly to avoid a con cavity below the WL?

Maybe. seems plenty full when view from the front. Also has a sprit already installed. Looking forward to seeing sailing pics

1IMG_5949.jpg

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

You're probably thinking of the MMW 33? Pogo isn't really in the racing rating market - a lot of Pogo 30s on the Transquadra but generally not top performers (at least until Pogo recently increased the mast length).

Ah, that would explain why I couldn't think of a Pogo in this category.  Just sort of assumed there was one that I didn't know about though as you can see I'm not very well versed on all the Pogo models.  Nice boats from what I see and hear however!

Pogos are great boats. The yard released the Loxo powerboat & is working on the foiling 6.5 - I don't think they're short for orders on the 36.

Nothing wrong with the 30, just perhaps conceptually too optimized for heavy downwind sailing fast and easy at the expense of everything else. In light air - a 3 ton boat with a 3.5 meter wide arse struggles a little. 

Very cool boat and excited to see the growing popularity of shorthanded racing and venues here in the the States, which until now has been  asleep at the switch.  From an owner's perspective, not having to recruit, train and retain a big crew, or deal with the inevitable issues with logistics, expense, clashing egos, and most of all- the loads generated on the boat by a big crew- is a breath of fresh air on the sport.

No doubt about it.  Huge fleet doing the 'Round The Rocks race.  See you on the agua- should be a lovely day.....I'm picking you to win your division!  (No pressure or anything!) 

But my question: Why weren't any of the new Euro boats (Figaro 3, Pogo, Jeanneau Sunfast, JPK 1030, etc.) at the recent boat show in Richmond?  In fact- they NEVER are.  It's just J-Boats, J-Boats and more J-Boats.  Our biggest boat show is so lame without these on display.  Makes us continue to look like the backwater of modern racing mono hulls.  Just saying.

1 hour ago, Liquid said:

Why the old school keel - $$?

It only looks old school, most of the lead is concentrated in the bottom of the keel.  Like DFL1010 mentioned it helps with the rating and there was a lot of discussion in the SF 3300 thread about it.  Like everything to do with boats there are many that like it and many that don't.  Fin keel is theoretically faster downwind and hull shapes like this in addition to a double rudder offer more than enough stability without a bulb.  Earlier JPK's offered an option for bulb keel but were found to be unnecessary thus starting with the 1080 it wasn't even offered as an option.  If someone wanted one I'm sure Jean Pierre would build it that way but it's not necessary for these boats.  

2 hours ago, Rude Dog said:

But my question: Why weren't any of the new Euro boats (Figaro 3, Pogo, Jeanneau Sunfast, JPK 1030, etc.) at the recent boat show in Richmond?  In fact- they NEVER are.  It's just J-Boats, J-Boats and more J-Boats.  Our biggest boat show is so lame without these on display.  Makes us continue to look like the backwater of modern racing mono hulls.  Just saying.

J/Boats knows how to market boats, that's for sure!  I agree though, would be really nice to see something other than 30 different varieties of cruisers and a few J/boats but unfortunately those are probably the boats that sell in quantities and the companies that value marketing.

I can't speak for the other builders but JPK in particular does very little marketing or advertising and mostly just relies on word of mouth and reputation.  From what I've read and heard Jean Pierre prefers to remain a small operation and I hope it stays that way.  I think he goes to a few select boat shows close to home but that's about it for marketing and advertising.  He seems to prefer remaining very hands on, if you go to the yard he's covered in fiberglass with the rest of the guys, if you email JPK he's the one who emails you back, want to order a JPK he's the guy you speak with, tech questions he's the guy you speak with, want to put hot-pink colored cushions in your boat, he's the guy who will (or will not) arrange for that to happen.  The demand is there for him to sell more and get bigger, there's about a 1-2 year waiting list to get a boat from the time you order but as far as I know he has no plans to grow any bigger.

Interesting article about a visit to his yard if anyone is interested: http://no-frills-sailing.com/jean-pierre-kelbert-jpk-yachts/

2 minutes ago, Psycho Tiller said:

It only looks old school, most of the lead is concentrated in the bottom of the keel.  Like DFL1010 mentioned it's helps with the rating and there was a lot of discussion in the SF 3300 thread about it.  Like everything to do with boats there are many that like it and many that don't.  Fin keel is theoretically faster downwind and hull shapes like this in addition to a double rudder offer more than enough stability without a bulb.  Earlier JPK's offered an option for bulb keel but were found to be unnecessary thus starting with the 1080 it wasn't even offered as an option.  If someone wanted one I'm sure Jean Pierre would build it that way but it's not necessary for these boats.  

J/Boats knows how to market boats, that's for sure!  I agree though, would be really nice to see something other than 30 different varieties of cruisers and a few J/boats but unfortunately those are probably the boats that sell in quantities and the companies that value marketing.

I can't speak for the other builders but JPK in particular does very little marketing or advertising and mostly just relies on word of mouth and reputation.  From what I've read and heard Jean Pierre prefers to remain a small operation and I hope it stays that way.  I think he goes to a few select boat shows close to home but that's about it for marketing and advertising.  He seems to prefer remaining very hands on, if you go to the yard he's covered in fiberglass with the rest of the guys, if you email JPK he's the one who emails you back, want to order a JPK he's the guy you speak with, tech questions he's the guy you speak with, want to put hot-pink colored cushions in your boat, he's the guy who will (or will not) arrange for that to happen.  The demand is there for him to sell more and get bigger, there's about a 1-2 year waiting list to get a boat from the time you order but as far as I know he has no plans to grow any bigger.

Interesting article about a visit to his yard if anyone is interested: http://no-frills-sailing.com/jean-pierre-kelbert-jpk-yachts/

I will second these comments about JPK and expand them to Structures (Pogo) too. Structures does not have a dealer network and their order books are completely full for the next couple of years so the hassle and expense of coming to North America really doesn't net out for them. This includes some boats sold to NA buyers too.  As for Beneteau and Jeanneau they both make conscious marketing decisions to cater to the Oceanis and Sun Odyssey portion of the market in NA. These two companies are under the same ownership and this marketing seems to be working for them so it's difficult to say whether this will change. That said, both Beneteau and Jeanneau dealers will gladly help you order one their racier boats if you bring your checkbook. If you just want to kick fenders then you'll likely need to go to Europe. The Grand Pavois in La Rochelle is a great one to see all of the above mentioned boats

The racing scene tends to have consumers who will spend the time and effort to research it themselves and visit for a test sail or race on another's boat.

Boat shows in the eastern US is much more focused on powerboats, comfort condos and wood trimmed heavy cruisers. 

JPK have been busy with this line for 15 years, Pogo even longer. That J Boats and Dehler steps in shows the market is mature.
There was a Canadian yard doing similar work 15 years ago, they did not sell. They had a nice design. ( not the Andrews 28, a small racer/cruiser 26 ft double rudders, offshore )

1 hour ago, LeoV said:

JPK have been busy with this line for 15 years, Pogo even longer. That J Boats and Dehler steps in shows the market is mature.
There was a Canadian yard doing similar work 15 years ago, they did not sell. They had a nice design. ( not the Andrews 28, a small racer/cruiser 26 ft double rudders, offshore )

This one?

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/precourt-75

^^^^ Yep, so it was 12 yrs ago :) Liked the design.

Precourt yard,

but found this Kalon design of his hands too, build in Quebec ... if only they found enough customers and develop better boats, like Pogo and JPK were able to do. Htey just did not drop out of the air, J and Dehler are jumping on the bandwagon.
82f1e3_03b885a253d6463ab2738efd70557eed.

14 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Precourt yard,

but found this Kalon design of his hands too, build in Quebec ... if only they found enough customers and develop better boats, like Pogo and JPK were able to do. Htey just did not drop out of the air, J and Dehler are jumping on the bandwagon.

Nice looking boat.  Any idea how many were made?  2007 would have been a very unfortunate time to enter the boat market with the impending tanking of the economy.

Economics and no appetite at that moment in the US for this kind of boats were the problem. Even before 2007.
Curious how many J99 will end up in the US.

15 hours ago, Psycho Tiller said:

It only looks old school, most of the lead is concentrated in the bottom of the keel.  Like DFL1010 mentioned it helps with the rating and there was a lot of discussion in the SF 3300 thread about it.  Like everything to do with boats there are many that like it and many that don't.  Fin keel is theoretically faster downwind and hull shapes like this in addition to a double rudder offer more than enough stability without a bulb.  Earlier JPK's offered an option for bulb keel but were found to be unnecessary thus starting with the 1080 it wasn't even offered as an option.  If someone wanted one I'm sure Jean Pierre would build it that way but it's not necessary for these boats.  

Excellent and vivid article.

The article misses one point though, Jean-Pierre is also actively racing his boats,  piling successes round the buoys and offshore including transats . One more reason for the prospective owner to feel confident.

(that boat name is "Leon" which is the name of his personal boats and you can expect seeing her competing with the new Sunfast and  J 99 very soon)

Just a comment on appendages.  The rudders seem large for such a small boat. I get it, the windward rudder will not be immersed when beating and power reaching in a breeze,  but I bet it's a dog in the light stuff. 

Do you guys who lament the status of IRC have any specific boats in mind that you think perform stronger in a whole range of conditions upwind and downwind? Let's say no longer than 36ft and without carbon composite hulls or decks & keels deeper than 2.5 meters? 

12 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

But I bet it rates well. As long as it sails faster than its rating it doesn't matter how slow it is. Just like ior. 

We've just taken over a 1010.  This weekend we sat at 12+ knots downwind in 18-20 true, only slowing down when the prat on the helm (me) shoved it into the wave in front.  I thought that was pretty quick for a 32 foot boat.  Coming from a more traditional leadmine it felt supersonic....

1030 is supposed to be quicker all round.  The new generation of IRC boats are going the right way if you ask me.  

13 hours ago, Miffy said:

Do you guys who lament the status of IRC have any specific boats in mind that you think perform stronger in a whole range of conditions upwind and downwind? Let's say no longer than 36ft and without carbon composite hulls or decks & keels deeper than 2.5 meters? 

mumm/farr 30 ?

That's a good example though I am not sure about upwind. I'd welcome the extra 2500 pounds if I were thinking about races like the transquadra which seems to be the design brief for these boats. All the things I would change are  available in one or the other of the new models. Which is to say for offshore I can't think of much I'd do different except that maybe the form stability makes a sticky boat and gives an excuse for the 'irc' keel. I would still opt for this keel shape but if it can be built as discussed with a rating hit that is what I'd order. 

I just bot an A31 and it doesn't have the form stability or bulb keel. Still, pretty much a dream boat for me. It's  very hard to find something like this in NA. 

16 hours ago, Miffy said:

The previous generation of small to mid-sized IRC boats (i.e. the Corby photocopier) were sexier and looked more 'racy'... downwind performance was not anything to write home about if I remember correctly.

Having sailed and raced quite extensively a JPK 10.10 for the past 5 years I can say the following:

On Old school keels on IRC boats:  from what JPK told us there is two reasons for this is:

1. Better rating without significant lose of performance

2. The longer cord make the keel more efficient at lower speed and a lot more tolerant updwind which is a significant assetss for short handed sailing. Same goes for the double rudders, yes you take a drag penalty but it is worth it because it make everything a lot more controllable hence higher average on the long run.

On-JPK not wanting to grow bigger to fast:

I think a lot of small boat manufacturer in France have in mind what happened to Archambault a few years ago, the surprise and  A35 were hits and then they were over confident and grew to fast, launching too many boats ( A40 , A31, A13 and the M34 for the tour de france) , all of them were good IRC racing boats ( except the M34) but they never succeeded commercially and the company went bust.

And of course as others already said Kelber is a great guy who values a lot his relationship with JPK owners.

I'm not really knocking these boats, just pointing out that the design choices are rule driven rather than design/efficiency driven. If you race where irc is in place or short handed these boats are great, however if you race where I race, where faster design is not penalised under a rule, these boats don't make sense. Not saying they are bad boats, they are just designed to sail a bit faster than their rating, like ior. 

What modern boats would you recommend for a faster design within the parameters mentioned above? 36 ft or less - no more than 2.5 meter draft - no carbon hull or decks.

I've been looking at below 40 ft boats for a longtime by a lot of different designers - not to mention yards with diff priorities, whether the small French builders, Slovenian or the Scandinavian yards - what's the "ideal" hull form that is not a IRC compromise that results in a faster boat in all conditions?

Don't forget these boats do have some accommodations for people below deck also.  Possibly include that criteria in Miffy's question?

Miffy, Neo 350 ?

33 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

I'm not really knocking these boats, just pointing out that the design choices are rule driven rather than design/efficiency driven. I

Wrong view I think, the designs are about fast efficient driven boats, not designed with the rule book open. But after design a quick look at what can be changed without to much penalty to make IRC rating better. But it seems you are on a high horse, fine to me.

i was about to write a list of boats then i realised non have been launched for the last 5 years so obviously they aren't popular, where as the sunfasts and jpks are really popular so my view is probably wrong, Not the first time and wont be the last. The boats i was thinking of were Elliotts, Youngs etc where ratings weren't of any consideration, but there is also an aspect of "we defend what we know" which i may be suffering from.

Ah, Elliots and Youngs are good designs, can see that point. Can anyone ask JPK what his design thoughts were for the original 960 ? That one was for sure not designed with IRC as goal.
The cure for you is to sail on one, really...

2 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

i was about to write a list of boats then i realised non have been launched for the last 5 years so obviously they aren't popular, where as the sunfasts and jpks are really popular so my view is probably wrong, Not the first time and wont be the last. The boats i was thinking of were Elliotts, Youngs etc where ratings weren't of any consideration, but there is also an aspect of "we defend what we know" which i may be suffering from.

Not wrong, just a different view. But very refreshing and unusual (in a good way) to see someone on SA who is open to re-evaluating their beliefs.  As a matter of fact, you just might be far too normal and reasonable for SA.  Unless I missed the sarcastic font in your post, then I take it all back :D

You've been around long enough to know there's not one boat or boat design that's best for every condition and situation.  I get it and understand what you're saying (even though I'm a JPK fanboy) and I was skeptical at first about the fin keel on the 1080.  But once I sailed it I had no reservations whatsoever and the more I learned about the reasoning, beyond just the rating advantage, it made more sense.  They really are special boats though, if you ever get a chance to sail one do it.  Not saying it's the greatest ever or doesn't have some limitations and it's definitely not the only great boat out there.  At least for what I value in a boat however it's one of the better ones.  Herein lies the problem with boats, so many to love, so little time and money.

1 hour ago, Psycho Tiller said:

Not wrong, just a different view. But very refreshing and unusual (in a good way) to see someone on SA who is open to re-evaluating their beliefs.  As a matter of fact, you just might be far too normal and reasonable for SA.  Unless I missed the sarcastic font in your post, then I take it all back :D

You've been around long enough to know there's not one boat or boat design that's best for every condition and situation.  I get it and understand what you're saying (even though I'm a JPK fanboy) and I was skeptical at first about the fin keel on the 1080.  But once I sailed it I had no reservations whatsoever and the more I learned about the reasoning, beyond just the rating advantage, it made more sense.  They really are special boats though, if you ever get a chance to sail one do it.  Not saying it's the greatest ever or doesn't have some limitations and it's definitely not the only great boat out there.  At least for what I value in a boat however it's one of the better ones.  Herein lies the problem with boats, so many to love, so little time and money.

you aint never lie my friend. Ive sailed and owned a bunch of boats with fins, but im putting a 8'6' t keel on my current boat, just seems logical, most weight in the right place, but weight is pretty important on my boat, these newer boats perhaps not so much.

1 hour ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Your view was certainly valid in the IOR days but less so these days.

I must admit that I am quite fond of the Young and Elliott designs and what impresses the most is that the hull shapes are good enough to inspire owners into spending big money on keel upgrades. There seem to be plenty of E1050's, E10.5's, Y11 & Y88's with modern keels.

The E10.5 Motorboat2 had the legs on the SF3600 on the recent 2hand race. Maybe the problem with the SF is the lack of a massive bowsprit and the appropriate sails.

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

The E10.5 Motorboat2 had the legs on the SF3600 on the recent 2hand race. Maybe the problem with the SF is the lack of a massive bowsprit and the appropriate sails.

I think you will find that Josh addressed both those issues whilst being in possession of that particular SF3600, not sure if the mods are still on the boat.

10 hours ago, hoppy said:

What is the bowsprit length on this bad boy again?

I keep seeing short stubby things on all of these IRC boats, however I have also read and re-read technical articles such as this one pointing out that a longer pole isn't the worst thing (even within IRC)...

I would much prefer an 8ft monster for cruising anyway - go deep downhill till your hearts content and drink a beer.

~him

9 hours ago, spyderpig said:

I think you will find that Josh addressed both those issues whilst being in possession of that particular SF3600, not sure if the mods are still on the boat.

Good point. 

53830316_2225593467487003_83897786019264

Still not as big as on his current ride.

Perhaps it's then more down to MB2 being 1000kg lighter and other factors.

Yeah, i helped a bit with that sprit upgrade, but mine has an approx 2.5m sprit, and all the mods done to my boat have no thoughts given to rating, just making the boat better. Good point about Motorboat 2 vs the sunfast 3600, in theory the sf should be faster as it newer and according to these threads the best thing ever, but that old Elliott kicked its butt. Interesting shit.

3 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Yeah, i helped a bit with that sprit upgrade, but mine has an approx 2.5m sprit, and all the mods done to my boat have no thoughts given to rating, just making the boat better. Good point about Motorboat 2 vs the sunfast 3600, in theory the sf should be faster as it newer and according to these threads the best thing ever, but that old Elliott kicked its butt. Interesting shit.

There is not so much about MB2 that is a 1980's Elliott... Hull, cabin top and interior. Keel, cockpit, stern, rudder(I presume) and rig/sail plan are all new.  

On 4/16/2019 at 8:01 AM, LeoV said:

Ah, Elliots and Youngs are good designs, can see that point. Can anyone ask JPK what his design thoughts were for the original 960 ? That one was for sure not designed with IRC as goal.
The cure for you is to sail on one, really...

Leo, I understand that from the conception of the 960, Jean-Pierre and Jacques Valer had this idea about pushing volume forward, without penalty under IRC, and that, at the time, twin rudders were IRC friendly too. They came up with a fast boat, partly due to the shape, and a boat that rated very well. From the 960 onwards we saw crew weight much more central, even when trucking downwind in a blow.

• 4 months later...

Link for the JPK 1030 Yachting World review below.  I haven't seen a 1030 myself but the review makes it look like it's exactly what you'd expect from JPK; an extremely well thought out, good performing boat that has everything you need and nothing you don't.  Judging by the review it seems like the 1030 is designed primarily for shorthanded sailing.  Whether or not that's just the reviewers impression and not reality is hard to know without seeing and sailing the boat. Most (all?) other JPK's historically seem to be dual purpose and equally good at both full crew and shorthanded sailing.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/reviews/boat-tests/jpk-1030-test-couples-double-hander

On 4/17/2019 at 4:02 PM, Alcatraz5768 said:

Comes down to the nut on the tiller. Josh has all the skills and experience with many successful race programs behind him plus he's a sail maker whereas the new owner of the SF3600 is likely not in his league.

1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Comes down to the nut on the tiller. Josh has all the skills and experience with many successful race programs behind him plus he's a sail maker whereas the new owner of the SF3600 is likely not in his league.

True that, but we don't say it aloud or in a public forum. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 1:28 PM, LeoV said:

Precourt yard,

I'm sorry , but those tillers, they look like they stole them from a retirement home walker..

• 6 months later...

Could not find a JPK 1030 thread in Shorthanded Anarchy. (Should this one be moved over if this is the main one?) In any event, just wanted to add link to recent review (in French) with some video as well for those (like me) who like this boat (!)

Link to French version:

https://www.bateaux.com/article/32970/essai-du-jpk-1030-la-course-au-large-en-irc

Link to version translated to English by Google:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=https://www.bateaux.com/article/32970/essai-du-jpk-1030-la-course-au-large-en-irc&prev=search

On 4/17/2019 at 9:58 PM, hoppy said:

There is not so much about MB2 that is a 1980's Elliott... Hull, cabin top and interior. Keel, cockpit, stern, rudder(I presume) and rig/sail plan are all new.  

Ironically, I think the rudder may be the one thing they didn't change! Great boat, I delivered it down from Fiji when it was still the Squealer, right after the new rig was put in. Pretty sure the former owner said the rudder was stock. There was a rad article at one time about the new keel, cockpit and stern mods, but I can not find it now.

Archived