One Hit Wonders

Point Break

Here is 3 versions of Louie Louie.  Those of us in the Northwest grew up with the Wailers at several venues hearing live from the Wailers and Little Blue and the Blue Notes. Many years before the Kingsmen had a Huge success with it. Friday nights were the teen nights at places like the Spanish Castle, Jimmy Hendrix  memorialized the place in his song Spanish Castle Magic. The Castle was just down the street from me. Good Times.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every time I hear this song I think of  Filipino girls dancing (not very well) on the stage in a 'juicy bar' in Song Tan, South Korea.

3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

He didde haive ....

:)

Dangit Snags! You couldn't let me be right one time could you!!

(I still say mom like me better! :ph34r:)

9 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Inexplicably, Dick's  recording career did not last long.

IMG_0470.JPG.8e77b83a915477932d20eb63e7783ba4.JPG

:lol: Apparently the producers couldn't count either.

Or was the 4th member the dick being handled?

1 hour ago, cyclone said:

One album wonders-

Derek and the Dominos,  Layla

Blind Faith

They don't count - superstars who made one album and moved on to new bands.

13 minutes ago, MidPack said:

Here are the 41 songs in my iTunes One Hit Wonders playlist:

image.thumb.png.effad98578f84c95e58e921ecd421b81.png

ya can't include dire straights on a one hit wonder list, nor weezer, Tom Cochrane, the Byrds or Buffalo Springfield..ya just can't!!:D

5 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Every time I hear this song I think of  Filipino girls dancing (not very well) on the stage in a 'juicy bar' in Song Tan, South Korea.

Cool little bit of useless trivia:  Chumba Wumba paid everyone - front man to roadies, the same - all income was split evenly. 

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

They don't count - superstars who made one album and moved on to new bands.

Agreed, they don't count for the stated reason as well as the omission of the other hits from the album:  Bell Bottom Blues; Have you ever loved a woman; Little Wing.  All had solid radio play back in the 70s.

18 hours ago, warbird said:

Does this count?

No, IMHO, as they were only a 'band' in a movie.  So the 'Oneders' do not count.  And I do not believe their 'hit' received any radio play.

30 minutes ago, #13 said:

No, IMHO, as they were only a 'band' in a movie.  So the 'Oneders' do not count.  And I do not believe their 'hit' received any radio play.

Just checking to see if anyone was paying attention:lol:

Those in the midworst may disagree but...

Craig Fuller turned out to be a great musician/ vocalist in several bands, much like Paul Carrack was here and elsewheres...

OK, these guys never had a hit, but in my opinion every song they ever recorded shoulda been...

31 minutes ago, QBF said:

The Surfaris- Wipe Out

I would not argue one hit wonder but the Surfaris had a lot of "surf rock" not unlikeDick Dale.  tThis was music that maybe did not translate much into the Midwest or eastcoast but nonetheless was featured in lots of spaghetti westerns.

2 minutes ago, warbird said:

I would not argue one hit wonder but the Surfaris had a lot of "surf rock" not unlikeDick Dale.  tThis was music that maybe did not translate much into the Midwest or eastcoast but nonetheless was featured in lots of spaghetti westerns.

Have to agree. I listened to that music and that band a lot. Good point that commercial success isn't necessarily the complete defining element. The folks I hng out with all listened to that surf music/surf guitar incessantly.

9 minutes ago, warbird said:

5 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Have to agree. I listened to that music and that band a lot. Good point that commercial success isn't necessarily the complete defining element. The folks I hng out with all listened to that surf music/surf guitar incessantly.

Some of my Pandora "stations" is Surf Rock  and Surfaris.  I call them up often for the upbeat mood they bring. When I first typed"Surf Rock" into ;pandoraI was thinking Beach Boys and had forgotten the whole genre.....

2 minutes ago, warbird said:

Some of my Pandora "stations" is Surf Rock  and Surfaris.  I call them up often for the upbeat mood they bring.

You'll like this then............

2 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I especially like this Vid that uses that song.............

:D

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

In 78 I stopped at an albumn store driving cross country with first Mrs Warbird.  We had heard Dire Straits in the twin Cities (Radio, not live). The cashier gave us the new store copy. She said nobody liked it:lol: 

3 minutes ago, oldgoatroper said:

Regarding Mark Knopfler -- don't forget that he also did the entire soundtrack for the movie Princess Bride...

And Wag the Dog

14 hours ago, chester said:

ya can't include dire straights on a one hit wonder list, nor weezer, Tom Cochrane, the Byrds or Buffalo Springfield..ya just can't!!:D

Or the Troggs = did you forget Wild Thing!

29 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

I've got 3 other versions of Wild Thing:

Chip Taylor & Carrie Rodriguez-Live, Chip wrote it

Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaugh

& The Bobby Kennedy parody

I bet you haven't got this version.....(apologies for the crap resolution).

7 hours ago, oldgoatroper said:

Regarding Mark Knopfler -- don't forget that he also did the entire soundtrack for the movie Princess Bride...

And Cal.

And Local Hero

Both soundtracks are eminently listenable-to.

8 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

It was one of the most annoying songs I've ever heard. Shitty and long is no way to listen to music.

What? You didn't like Inna Gadda Da Vida?

4 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

I've got 3 other versions of Wild Thing:

Chip Taylor & Carrie Rodriguez-Live, Chip wrote it

Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaugh

& The Bobby Kennedy parody

I had a Chip Taylor album from about 1972 (?), he also wrote Angel of the Morning

The trouble is that many "one-hit wonders" are made by bands or singers with a long, successful career and a dedicated fan base. But they just happen to have one hit that is so much bigger than all the others, that it is the only one to register on most peoples' radar screen, giving the general public an idea of a group that didn't last. But don't say that to the fanboys...

The Golden Earring is a typical case. They are a cornerstone of Dutch rock n' roll, with a career that spans more than 50 years. Hardly a one-hit wonder - except that the world only knows one of their songs.

Chris Isaac made several successful albums. But you'll probably only know this song:

And it appears that she is still going strong as well...

And with these, I’m done...

The Detergents - Leader Of The Laundromat

Dartells - Hot Pastrami

2 hours ago, QBF said:

And with these, I’m done...

The Detergents - Leader Of The Laundromat

Dartells - Hot Pastrami

Laundromat........classic.......

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

What? You didn't like Inna Gadda Da Vida?

When you're 10yo, you like whatever the older kids like so blame my elders.  At least the AM version was under 3mins.   

46 minutes ago, IrieMon said:

One for our friends North of the US Border:

to be fair, Mitchell actually had a few radio hits in Canada in the 80's and was also a primary member of Max Webster in the '70's.

35 minutes ago, Mitre cut said:

Aussies claiming NZ talent yet again......

Good point! The song was recorded in Melbourne though - produced by Molly...

3 hours ago, mccroc said:

Good point! The song was recorded in Melbourne though - produced by Molly...

Fair enough. Feel free however to claim Russel Crowe's talents with this band 30 odd foot of grunt, I think that's more of a no hit wonder.

2 hours ago, Mitre cut said:

Fair enough. Feel free however to claim Russel Crowe's talents with this band 30 odd foot of grunt, I think that's more of a no hit wonder.

Yup, that's right!  Bit like the Canadians apologising for Bryan Adams in the South Park Movie.

I would be amiss not to add this one addition to the previously mentioned song, Wild Thing.

The song "Wild Thing" was first recorded by the Wild Ones in 1965, and then in 1966 by The Troggs.

However, "Wild Thing" made a comeback as the theme song for Charlie Sheen's character, Rick Vaughn in the 1989 movie, Major League.

5 hours ago, Willin' said:

Ummm, pretty sure Five-Man Electrical Band had at least one more -- I'm a Stranger Here

And The Stampeders had a string of singles (at least in Canada), though Sweet City Woman would defn be their most well-known...

Forgot about Green-Eyed Lady... good song. Thanks for that.

1 hour ago, oldgoatroper said:

Ummm, pretty sure Five-Man Electrical Band had at least one more -- I'm a Stranger Here

And The Stampeders had a string of singles (at least in Canada), though Sweet City Woman would defn be their most well-known...

Forgot about Green-Eyed Lady... good song. Thanks for that.

You Canucks sure are defensive about your bands, aren't you? What are ya gonna claim next, the Guess Who had more than one hit?B) 

Sorry 'bout that, when Signs and Sweet City Woman were big I was in the Navy and stuck in a small town with only an AM radio station that played a lot of polka music. Who knows what gems I may have missed out on? 

On 5/1/2019 at 3:02 PM, Willin' said:

Those in the midworst may disagree but...

Craig Fuller turned out to be a great musician/ vocalist in several bands, much like Paul Carrack was here and elsewheres...

i'm tempted to ram ice picks into my ear whenever this ear rape comes on the radio.

Squeeze, the antithesis of rock and roll 

YMMV

9 minutes ago, pbd said:

i'm tempted to ram ice picks into my ear whenever this ear rape comes on the radio.

YMMV

Pulling mussels from the shell. Black coffee in bed. Another nail in my heart.....

Difford and Tillbrook had potential to really do big things, but...... They didn't.

38 minutes ago, pbd said:

YMMV

I won't stand in your way then, just don't bleed all over the cassette deck!  Heh heh.

I know what you mean, some of these, even some I posted, are cringers. Ya can't please everyone but you almost certainly can annoy someone.

No brag, just fact.

No way was Ray a OHW, I just hit this while searching around and had to put it up. This is the shit...

Archived