Modified Farr395's, how are they holding up?

I understand that most if not all of these Carroll Marine built boats had problems with skin and keel/rib issues in the bow.  Nearly 20 years after being built and most owners having addressed these issues; how are they holding up?  Are they still having structural issues after repair/upgrades?  Any other common build issues develop? 

Looking at Old School.......

3 hours ago, Robyn Banxx said:

Gotta watch the core. Whatever genius put foam above the waterline and balsa below the waterline needs to be sternly dressed down. 

The modded ones are very fast boats 

This isn't uncommon. Balsa is effective at handling compressive loads.

I bought hull #35 12 years ago; bottom was significantly re-skinned/ encapsulated by Waterline Systems at the time as part of the purchase.  To be fair, I have no idea if the bottom core has stayed perfectly dry since then (who knows that until they sell their boat and the buyers' surveyor tells them? ;)), but in my experience the hull and rig have been rock solid and very tough after hard use. So yes, important to get a good survey with a focus on the damp core which has been an issue-- I'm sure this was addressed on Old School. On the other hand I never had any keel/rib issues and frankly the ones I have heard of were following brutal groundings; I don't think this has ever been a 395 flaw, despite the rumor-mill.  Yes, there are numerous ways one can tell the 395's were "built to a price"-- hatches, stantions, interior fit-out-- but this stuff can either be lived with or upgraded over time in the normal course.  I think these boats are great value, simple set-up, easy to sail, and perfectly competitive with any new racer/cruiser.... particularly in a lighter-air venue.

• Like 1

Old School is very much not a stock Farr 395 below the waterline. They went with a low vcg keel like five years ago. I’m not sure what they did with the balsa but the work was done in Rhode Island so presumably it was done well. 

Any tips on Long Distance racing a 395? I just got on one for this summer. 

The boat has an interesting hull shape, with the narrow, light displacement bow, with a slight concave on the hull sides, The keel seems really far forward on the hull, then a literally flat bottom between the keel and sail drive where it’s at the widest, and then a narrow stern with a shallow angle to the transom.

I’m guess that weight forward in light air, doesn’t help that much? Also what the best way to get over a wave with it? Seems like burying the bow into the wave might be the way to go, with so little buoyancy forward (as opposed to taking it side on and getting life’s over)  

First problem avoided. Boat doesn’t have a  single North Sails’ sail. 

What else? (Or share the story behind that comment, cause I’m assuming it’s a person putting holes in the sail, not the rig/boat)

25 minutes ago, Lightfoot said:

(Or share the story behind that comment, cause I’m assuming it’s a person putting holes in the sail, not the rig/boat)

I think that was just a Witty comment...

• 10 months later...
On 5/8/2019 at 3:58 PM, Cristoforo said:

Building boats to a price point is one thing. Claiming the class is going gangbusters, backorders, fleet is building, etc. when you are about to close the doors was,  well, Trumpish. 

:D

3 hours ago, port tack said:

Curious on how the keel was lengthened on Old School?  Or is it a whole different keel?  Farr 40 Keel?  Any other big issues other than that it is bound to have wet core?

If the boat has the original rudder, check the shaft for corrosion. It will be visible at the interface of the blade to shaft, but likely worse inside the blade.  

Farr 395 rudder.JPG

corroded.JPG