1000 ASSault weapons seized from house in LA

Fakenews

I saw that on our local news, the house is in Holmby Hills, which is arguably the priciest area in Los Angeles. The pics that I saw showed mostly hunting and collector type weapons, I saw no assault or combat arms.

I think the owner is likely legitimate and this is the wrong neighborhood for a crime of any kind. I see a major lawsuit in the future, LAPD possibly picked on the wrong person whoever they are.

3 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I saw no assault or combat arms.

best look closer ..............

ATF spokesperson Ginger Colburn said in a written statement that authorities were anonymously tipped off that someone was "conducting illegal firearms transaction outside the scope of the federal firearm license that the individual possess." Along with the weapons, firearm manufacturing equipment and tools were also found at the home.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/08/us/massive-seizure-of-guns-la-trnd/index.html

29 minutes ago, Mid said:

I watched segments on six of our local news channels, and I didn't see any assault weapons. That doesn't mean he didn't have them; we will know later tonight or tomorrow.

Just now, badlatitude said:

Yet the lowly 22 is the most popular weapon for a hit.

All guns have the ability to inflict mass carnage it’s just a matter of degree..

1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

I watched segments on six of our local news channels, and I didn't see any assault weapons.

right there in the vid I posted .

2 hours ago, Fakenews said:

All guns have the ability to inflict mass carnage it’s just a matter of degree..

Have you ever fired a gun?  I hadn't until a few years ago and realizing I knew nothing about guns, got my concealed carry permit.  I don't carry but it makes transporting to the range easier.  I enjoy target shooting and when at home my guns are locked (trigger0 and locked (vault0.  Tighter than Bull Gator's pussy (but you don't know him).  Again, if you came out, it would be at most a week of abuse but most likely a week of praise for showing some nuts.  Where do you want to be in 5yrs?

23 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Where do you want to be in 5yrs?

Well, the lord willing, I'd like to be sane . .

Gunz (assault type) are for sniveling, abject, cowardly cowards. 

Your Cal 20m will keep you lots safer !!  

3 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Well, the lord willing, I'd like to be sane . .

Gunz (assault type) are for sniveling, abject, cowardly cowards. 

Your Cal 20m will keep you lots safer !!  

I wish this was in English.  My guns are fully for sport, not home defense.  Why the need to repeat the obvious?  I choose to live in a safe neighborhood.  

So handguns are ok, but assault type weapons are for ...you know what you said.  

Been drinking tonight?

6 hours ago, badlatitude said:

I think Tom had a heart attack watching someone take 1000 guns away from someone.

It might have bothered a SCAR owner like yourself not so long ago.

On 1/9/2018 at 11:52 AM, badlatitude said:

I like my Second Amendment rights and will continue to resist the Nutterz attempts to dislodge me from my rights. I already said I would voluntarily surrender my weapons, my job now is to make sure that you do too.

But that was before you went on a secret political $pending $pree.

On 4/7/2018 at 9:08 PM, badlatitude said:

There is nothing I can do now but support a full Second Amendment extermination, which I will do with huge endowments. Money talks.

The hypocrites around here who have YUUUGE problems with secret $peech by rich people bent on eradicating our rights will continue to say nothing about this, of course, because gungrabbiness trumps all other political goals.

10 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Gun buttery pegged at 11.

Now you're adding butter to your ASS obsession, Gator?

Kinky.

10 hours ago, badlatitude said:

I saw that on our local news, the house is in Holmby Hills, which is arguably the priciest area in Los Angeles. The pics that I saw showed mostly hunting and collector type weapons, I saw no assault or combat arms.

I think the owner is likely legitimate and this is the wrong neighborhood for a crime of any kind. I see a major lawsuit in the future, LAPD possibly picked on the wrong person whoever they are.

You think Drug lords live in ghetto's ? It's a strange idea people have that Crime bosses don't live in "nice suburbs"

7 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Have you ever fired a gun?  I hadn't until a few years ago and realizing I knew nothing about guns, got my concealed carry permit.  I don't carry but it makes transporting to the range easier.  I enjoy target shooting and when at home my guns are locked (trigger0 and locked (vault0.  Tighter than Bull Gator's pussy (but you don't know him).  Again, if you came out, it would be at most a week of abuse but most likely a week of praise for showing some nuts.  Where do you want to be in 5yrs?

Bull Gator used to admit to owning a Glock. Fakenews is probably unaware of his neighbor’s fetish for handguns. 

6 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

So handguns are ok, but assault type weapons are

Handguns, according to TeamD Senators.

Like this one:

SWVictoryFlower.jpg

And you're not going to get AJ to say that any guns are OK.

He made the mistake of saying "varmint" guns might be OK once and now won't say whether our squirrel guns qualify.

On 2/6/2019 at 1:20 PM, AJ Oliver said:

guns are still for cowards (cept for utilitarian varmint & small guns) 

That does NOT mean these:

marlin-assault-rifles.jpg

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

You think Drug lords live in ghetto's ? It's a strange idea people have that Crime bosses don't live in "nice suburbs"

That neighborhood has extremely low crime and the average home runs close to $20 million. Shady characters stick to the valley. 

That neighborhood has extremely low crime and the average home runs close to $20 million. Shady characters stick to the valley. 

That's Bullshit....the middlemen may "stick to the "Valley" The top of those food chains live in Nice quiet wealthy suburbs, sent their kids to the local "nice schools" and their wives mingle among us "normal" folks drinking coffee with us normal Mums.DAMHIKT.

13 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

That's Bullshit....the middlemen may "stick to the "Valley" The top of those food chains live in Nice quiet wealthy suburbs, sent their kids to the local "nice schools" and their wives mingle among us "normal" folks drinking coffee with us normal Mums.DAMHIKT.

Oh! Okay

Anyone with a thousand assault weapons is a HUGE threat to public safety.  Kind of like a a ginormous Africanized Bee Hive only way deadlier.

Glad this monster was stopped only a day after another school shooting. 

4 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Really, Gaytor?  Is that what you believe or are you just being your usual ASS self?  

That's buttery ASS. Try to keep up.

(Not to be confused with buttery ashes, by the way.)

26 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

So, I'm curious......  Had this not been Kalifornia where just having the wrong color gun is illegal - would the fact that he had a 1000 gunz still bother you all?  I suspect all the outrage here is that he had a 1000 gunz and lots of ammo rather than the fact that he was doing some things that were technically illegal in KA but would be perfectly a non-event in other free states.  I don't hear anyone talking about the actual violations of state law here in this thread, just the shock and dismay that how dare he have 1000 gunz.

Yes, while there may have been some technically illegal gunz in violation of KA's draconian laws, the vast majority of the rifles seemed like military collectible bolt action rifles from WWI and WWII and such with a lot of other sporting long guns and a lot of revolvers and target dogball guns.  Doesn't seem like the type who is hoarding weapons for the zombie armageddon.  Its a shame, I'll bet it was a beautiful collection he had in a nice secure basement probably set up like a museum. 

Yeah, he was a dumbass for breaking the letter of the law, and will face the legal consequences.  But I doubt he was a threat to anyone.

I tend to agree with you. I think the cops enjoy confiscating large collections, it gives them the opportunity to grab some for themselves.

21 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Anyone with a thousand assault weapons is a HUGE threat to public safety.  Kind of like a a ginormous Africanized Bee Hive only way deadlier.

Glad this monster was stopped only a day after another school shooting. 

While he may not have been a threat to public safety; the assholes who knew he had the arsenal and would break into his house and steal them sure would be.

"Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and LA Police Department officers served a search warrant in an investigation of someone suspected of manufacturing and selling illegal firearms, LAPD Officer Jeff Lee said." 

Including Cali's assualt rifle laws and having .50 Browning Machine guns

"ATF spokeswoman Ginger Colbrun said in a written statement that authorities were anonymously tipped off that someone was "conducting illegal firearms transaction outside the scope of the federal firearm license that the individual possess." Along with the weapons, firearm manufacturing equipment and tools were also found at the home."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/08/us/massive-seizure-of-guns-la-trnd/index.html

Officer “Hey what’s this?”  (Points to pile of Browning 50 cal machine guns).

Jeffreaux ‘“They’re my tools!. Leave them alone! My precious!! WHAAAAAA...”

1 minute ago, Fakenews said:

Officer “Hey what’s this?”  (Points to pile of Browning 50 cal machine guns).

Jeffreaux ‘“They’re my tools!. Leave them alone! My precious!! WHAAAAAA...”

Who would consider weapons tools?

(Check all that apply)

( )Target shooters? 

( ) Sport shooters?  

( ) Collectors?

( ) Hunters?

( ) Soldiers?  

( ) Mercenaries?

8 minutes ago, Amati said:

Who would consider weapons tools?

(Check all that apply)

(x )Target shooters? 

(x ) Sport shooters?  

( ) Collectors?

(x) Hunters?

(x ) Soldiers?  

(x ) Mercenaries?

Done 

17 hours ago, Mid said:

What are "firearm manufacturing equipment and tools"?    A lathe? Drill press?  machinist's rulers?  Calipers?  sinister, I tell ya.   If the guy WAS dealing illegally?  Good he got caught - throw the book at him.   If this is just the guy's hobby?  Then the LAPD messed up. 

1 minute ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

What are "firearm manufacturing equipment and tools"?    A lathe? Drill press?  machinist's rulers?  Calipers?  sinister, I tell ya.   If the guy WAS dealing illegally?  Good he got caught - throw the book at him.   If this is just the guy's hobby?  Then the LAPD messed up. 

Sadly we live in a country where guns are legal and as of yet not properly controlled. But in no sane universe are 1000 AW’s and machine guns legal.  Big tip of the hat to the informer and the cops for nipping this in the bud.

17 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Sadly we live in a country where guns are legal and as of yet not properly controlled. But in no sane universe are 1000 AW’s and machine guns legal.  Big tip of the hat to the informer and the cops for nipping this in the bud.

You're a myopic idiot - thanks for reinforcing that we still do need to be aware of and plan to counter such ignorance. 

6 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Honestly officer the 1-1/4"-18 TPI tap& set is for my drain pipe, it's the best size that works :rolleyes:

never hear much outrage over the innocuous bullshit that is "drug paraphernalia". oooh a triple beam balance!

Tools are tools - and I agree about the "drug paraphernalia" - though - if someone's carrying a crack pipe?  It's not a bad guess that they might be carrying crack, too - and that would warrant the search.  

So - is that rifling tap illegal?  Is it illegal to manufacture rifle parts?  (I'll answer for you, no, it's not.  You can make whatever you want - you can't manufacture certain components for sale w/out proper licensing and compliance). 

You're a myopic idiot - thanks for reinforcing that we still do need to be aware of and plan to counter such ignorance. 

I thought you prided yourself on seeing both sides of an issue.

Sadly, , you’re a fraud.

Just now, Fakenews said:

I thought you prided yourself on seeing both sides of an issue.

Sadly, , you’re a fraud.

No - in this case, you are conflating your personal distaste and baseless fear into an unfounded claim of sinister intent and illegal activity.   That's not a side, it's just stupid. 

3 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

You can't legally make an automatic weapon/NFA weapon without proper licensure. If you own the parts to convert your weapon to auto, and the weapon it could be considered "constructive posession of an automatic weapon".

I don't believe that size is a rifling tap, it's the receiver tap for an AR15. I needed a similar size for a non-weapons project and 90% of the information I could find was from people buying them to convert to auto.

You're right about the 1st part - and I didn't intend to suggest otherwise.   I am not familiar enough with the specific sizes of things that are used to make gun parts to recognize how might be used for what, just that "firearms manufacture tools" is a pretty broad description of rather innocuous stuff - drills, lathes, files, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

the guy who was raided allegedly detained a group of housekeepers at gunpoint on another property back in 2017. He was driving by a property and thought they were robbing it.

Thanks -- not his property?  That should have resulted in charges. 

Fuck East LA, Bel-Air is not a neighborhood you want to break down in.  You'll be invited in for caviar and champagne and that shit will kill you.  Hookers, blow, all bad for you.  

14 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Home is owned by this crackpot and Getty mistress/baby mama circa 2000.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-saenz-arrest-gun-investigation-20190509-story.html

The neighbors are understandably shaken.

The neighbors are shaken?  Did you talk to them?  There's certainly no mention of that in the article you cited.  BTW - WTF does the fact that the house is a mile away from JayZ's place have to do with anything?   If he got out on $50K bail the same day?  That tells me that the cops aren't really very bothered or worried about what this guy's doing. 

6 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

So do you have some proof that this guy is some sort of drug lord? Or is this  just a knee jerk reaction or a strawman? 

Personally I am glad to see the government actually enforcing the existing laws. The size of his collection is not the legal issue. What his collection contains maybe, but it sounds like he was violating some other laws that drew attention to him. 

Frankly if the existing laws were enforced more, we would have less gun problems. 

5 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

So, I'm curious......  Had this not been Kalifornia where just having the wrong color gun is illegal - would the fact that he had a 1000 gunz still bother you all?  I suspect all the outrage here is that he had a 1000 gunz and lots of ammo rather than the fact that he was doing some things that were technically illegal in KA but would be perfectly a non-event in other free states.  I don't hear anyone talking about the actual violations of state law here in this thread, just the shock and dismay that how dare he have 1000 gunz.

Yes, while there may have been some technically illegal gunz in violation of KA's draconian laws, the vast majority of the rifles seemed like military collectible bolt action rifles from WWI and WWII and such with a lot of other sporting long guns and a lot of revolvers and target dogball guns.  Doesn't seem like the type who is hoarding weapons for the zombie armageddon.  Its a shame, I'll bet it was a beautiful collection he had in a nice secure basement probably set up like a museum. 

Yeah, he was a dumbass for breaking the letter of the law, and will face the legal consequences.  But I doubt he was a threat to anyone.

I don't know all the facts. He was supposedly selling modified weapons out of his house; I'm not bothered whether he or anyone else horde guns it isn't against the law. I am annoyed that the cops will use this as an excuse to seize those weapons, and if he wants them back, it will take a fortune and many years while the police take their time getting a background on each firearm.

If there were illegal guns involved he should go to jail, but JFC leave his collection alone. Fair is fair, and if he is guilty, he should do time, but leave the extra-judicial punishment out of it.

3 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Anybody with that much money and that many guns HAS to be a bad actor, doesn't he? 

I know a guy who lives in about a 1200 sq foot house who has bought close to 1000 guns. Great guy, good citizen, Based on his career and how he focused on the details he truly has done more for the environment then just about anyone. Buys every gun at a value price he can. 

I don't know all the facts. He was supposedly selling modified weapons out of his house; I'm not bothered whether he or anyone else horde guns it isn't against the law. I am annoyed that the cops will use this as an excuse to seize those weapons, and if he wants them back, it will take a fortune and many years while the police take their time getting a background on each firearm.

If there were illegal guns involved he should go to jail, but JFC leave his collection alone. Fair is fair, and if he is guilty, he should do time, but leave the extra-judicial punishment out of it.

If its a felony, and he is convicted he can kiss his guns goodbye. 

15 minutes ago, chinabald said:

I know a guy who lives in about a 1200 sq foot house who has bought close to 1000 guns. Great guy, good citizen, Based on his career and how he focused on the details he truly has done more for the environment then just about anyone. Buys every gun at a value price he can. 

Sounds like a big mental illness red flag.  Hopefully the cops nap him before he goes off. Buying guns does nothing for the environment (assuming he hasn’t strewn lead around the country).

16 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Except as CB said w/r/t him being convicted of a felony - I'd agree.  The # of guns he had is irrelevant - if he was making prohibited weapons, or acting criminally beyond the constraints of his FFL, he deserves to face the music for that.    I'd really like to see what the charging document says - as this could easily be something significant, or someone making a whole lotta noise about a whole lotta nothing.  

Just now, Fakenews said:

Sounds like a big mental illness red flag.  Hopefully the cops nap him before he goes off. Buying guns does nothing for the environment (assuming he hasn’t strewn lead around the country).

You really have a huge bug up your narrow ass.  Did CB say that buying guns is what the guy did for the environment?   What mental illness does he have, collecting?  Do you have more than one of anything in your house?  

13 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

It all comes down to whether he was, as the ATF alleges, conducting illegal firearms transaction outside the scope of the federal firearm license.

I understand the implications, I remain disturbed that we don't do it for other crimes as well.

2 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

You really have a huge bug up your narrow ass.  Did CB say that buying guns is what the guy did for the environment?   What mental illness does he have, collecting?  Do you have more than one of anything in your house?  

I assume it does. Otherwise why bring it up.

Nothing whose designed purpose is to kill or main people and animals.

2 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

AGITC, knock it off, knock it off.  Gaytor is trolling you and saying stupid shit to get a rise out of you.  Stop taking him seriously.  Just like MJ/TALF was doing to you the other day.....  

You are absolutely a killjoy..

4 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

AGITC, knock it off, knock it off.  Gaytor is trolling you and saying stupid shit to get a rise out of you.  Stop taking him seriously.  Just like MJ/TALF was doing to you the other day.....  

Sorry - you're right, and I apologize to everyone else for continuing to respond.  Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

I get a bit stubborn and myopic when I think someone's intentionally misrepresenting what I'm saying, and don't always take the time I should to consider the source.  Y'all catch me dong that - I won't mind bein' called on it.  

14 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I understand the implications, I remain disturbed that we don't do it for other crimes as well.

We don’t do it for drugs?

31 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

lol. 6-figures of empty consumption hording alone puts him pretty low on the "do it for the environment" scale.

Not when your job involves walking into heavy manufacturing facilities who are way out of compliance with air emissions standards and water discharge rules and when you leave the company they are in compliance and emitting tons less pollution. Then go to the next company, rinse and repeat. Add in the fact that he rarely bought new guns but usually bought used ones.

But he is one of those hunters who also planted feed crops and ran corn feeders during tough winters to keep the deer herd fed. One of those hunters you insist don't exist. 

2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I’m guessing there’s no issue with reloading ammunition in California?  The same as making your own guns for private use, as long you don’t sell them on. 

Maybe he reloaded some ammunition or did a bit of machining work for the wrong friend? 

Edit,

most of this has been answered. 

10 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Not when your job involves walking into heavy manufacturing facilities who are way out of compliance with air emissions standards and water discharge rules and when you leave the company they are in compliance and emitting tons less pollution. Then go to the next company, rinse and repeat. Add in the fact that he rarely bought new guns but usually bought used ones.

But he is one of those hunters who also planted feed crops and ran corn feeders during tough winters to keep the deer herd fed. One of those hunters you insist don't exist. 

How did he accomplish this?  At gunpoint?  If not what does this has to do with guns?  I don’t get these unrelated anecdotes.  Bundy was nice to his girlfiend. So what?

11 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

As I've pointed out before - raising game as a crop isn't environmentally friendly. Naturally dead deer go back into the environment, provide food for other animals, insects, birds.  I'm sorry your identity politics prevent your understanding this point.

Would you prefer everything from a factory farm?

2 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Honestly officer the 1-1/4"-18 TPI tap

Well r'ib, now would be a good time to explain how an AR barrel nut is something nefarious.  Or how the barrel nut helps one illegally make a full-auto.

4 minutes ago, bpm57 said:

Well r'ib, now would be a good time to explain how an AR barrel nut is something nefarious.  Or how the barrel nut helps one illegally make a full-auto.

I was wondering the same thing??  :blink:

6 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

Great News for Gator from SCOTUS:

Yes, the First Amendment Protects "I Eat Ass" Bumper Stickers

If a Vespa has a wide enough bumper, I suppose the sticker could be extended to say "I eat buttery ASS" and it would still be protected expression.

From the article:

Now maybe the charges will instead be changed to a violation of § 847.011(1), which covers "show[ing]" such obscene material.  "Obscene" is defined in an earlier provision using the Supreme-Court-approved definition of obscenity.

(10) "Obscene" means the status of material which:
(a) The average person, applying contemporary community standards, would find, taken as a whole, appeals to the prurient interest;
(b) Depicts or describes, in a patently offensive way, sexual conduct as specifically defined herein; and
(c) Taken as a whole, lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value.

That statute, then, would be facially constitutional. But it couldn't constitutionally apply to Dillon's speech, because to be obscene, expression "must be, in some significant way, erotic," and must tend to arouse "lustful thoughts" or "sexual responses" and not just refer to sexual acts. Hard-core pornography might be obscene, especially if displayed in public; but this sort of vulgar verbal reference to a sexual act is far from hard-core pornography.

I guess it fails because of part (a). Fixation on buttery ASSes obviously exists, but it isn't really a community standard.

1 hour ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

I'd prefer less hyperbole.

I said it's a gun making tool and that's a common use. Unlike you who's a useless gun tool. I'm sure I've got the details wrong - but then I didn't say it was so so do you. Anyways I'm not really interested in comparing Lapuas like you turds. 

So no chance of an answer then, are you vegetarian?

1 hour ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

nah, you are just being a progun dickbag jerking off one of your progun dickbag online buddies. cuz that's what you do, and it's what you need to do to dismiss everyone who isn't a great big guns are great person.

Again, any chance of an answer from you?

9 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Disagree.   Those living in 20 million dollar homes include the most brazen and successful of criminals; pharmacy executives, health insurance profiteers, arms merchants and money launderers included.   

5 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Ok, then what else besides that?

Overdue videos, ex-wife’s defaulted student loans, Call of Duty beefs, .... A better question would be what don’t we do it for?

Tom will be by shortly to remind us that it was worse with during the Kenyan usurpation. Guy will be concerned but optimistic. Dog will ask what about the Branch Davidians?

3 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

atf will confiscated your illicit alcohol production equipment & supplies or your tobacco. those might count as drugs, depending.

That's just unAmerican.  Fuckers.  

3 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Overdue videos, ex-wife’s defaulted student loans, Call of Duty beefs, .... A better question would be what don’t we do it for?

Tom will be by shortly to remind us that it was worse with during the Kenyan usurpation. Guy will be concerned but optimistic. Dog will ask what about the Branch Davidians?

LOL, I guess our real problem is seizing property without a legal foundation.

LOL, I guess our real problem is seizing property without a legal foundation.

I'd go along with that, and it's a multifaceted problem.

There's abuse of eminent domain.

Really ridiculous abuse of the "military version" of eminent domain.

The drug war's cash cow.

Oh, and various TeamD gun bans and confiscation programs too.

1 minute ago, Importunate Tom said:

I'd go along with that, and it's a multifaceted problem.

There's abuse of eminent domain.

Really ridiculous abuse of the "military version" of eminent domain.

The drug war's cash cow.

Oh, and various TeamD gun bans and confiscation programs too.

This event bothers the Libertarian side of my conscience, and I agree it is a multi-faceted problem. I much prefer less incursion into private property and seizure only with a warrant and judgment.

3 hours ago, badlatitude said:
3 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

I thought you TeamD types wanted us to adopt Aussie style gun control.

You know, where they are currently confiscating museum collections?

Do you think their grabbers have gone too far?

I don't have enough factual evidence to pass judgment. 

I do. The news article and confirmation of a similar event from our own easethesheet are enough for me to say that the Aussie grabber inmates have completely taken over the asylum.

They're seriously worried that someone will breach museum security, steal guns, fabricate the missing firing pins, and go on a rampage.

I think it's funnier than it is sad, but just barely.

25 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

This event bothers the Libertarian side of my conscience, and I agree it is a multi-faceted problem. I much prefer less incursion into private property and seizure only with a warrant and judgment.

They had a search warrant. The ATF said he was conducting illegal firearms transaction outside the scope of the federal firearm license.  So I'll withhold further judgment and go with that. For now. I'm sure more will come out in the wash, either way.

47 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

They had a search warrant. The ATF said he was conducting illegal firearms transaction outside the scope of the federal firearm license.  So I'll withhold further judgment and go with that. For now. I'm sure more will come out in the wash, either way.

I'm pretty curious about it, and this being L.A. I'm sure there are many more like this one.

15 hours ago, badlatitude said:

I agree with you.  It seems that in this case - the seizure was pursuant to a warrant, and the seizure was for evidence rather than asset forfeiture.  It's a fine line, but, there is a difference.  

5 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I agree with you.  It seems that in this case - the seizure was pursuant to a warrant, and the seizure was for evidence rather than asset forfeiture.  It's a fine line, but, there is a difference.  

Yes, but with a proviso that the 'evidence' will soon become the property of the city ATF.

Yes, but with a proviso that the 'evidence' will soon become the property of the city.

Help me understand this - Is personal property collected as evidence forfeited if the prosecution doesn't prevail?  Asking in earnest, I don't understand how the law handles such disposition. 

Help me understand this - Is personal property collected as evidence forfeited if the prosecution doesn't prevail?  Asking in earnest, I don't understand how the law handles such disposition. 

Once there is a conviction the property is forfeited.

Once there is a conviction the property is forfeited.

I'm asking specifically about the opposite - what if he's NOT convicted?  Does he get his collection back?    I've got an acquaintance that's a deputy in a Sheriff's dept in MI.   One of his colleagues was going thru a divorce, and the dummy had an AD inside the house when he was putting his pistol away.  His STBX decided that this was good leverage, and called the cops in their township ( different jurisdiction than where he worked).  They fell all over themselves trying to treat this as an attempted murder rap - took the deputies service weapon, and all his personal weapons.  The deputy was convicted of a misdemeanor reckless discharge violation, lost his job, lost his CCW, and even then had to fight for 3 years to get his property back ( IIRC, there's supposed to be no forfeiture for non-felony crimes) and even then, he was missing a few pieces, and every piece he got back was damaged.   

So - my question was based upon this one vague insight I have into how this is supposed to work, hoping for a bit better understanding and clarity.