Canadian Gulf Islands Vessel Exclusion Zones

Ishmael

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-ships-must-keep-400-metre-distance-as-part-of-new-rules-to-protect/

I have seen a tiny map of this program which is supposed to be starting posthaste. This is not good. Looks like giant pieces of water in the Gulf Islands, plus Swiftsure Bank, are closed to any vessel traffic. This is ridiculous. 1557513675212.jpg

In addition to which, I just bought my fishing license, with salmon tag, and they just closed all the fisheries.

May I repeat, this is ridiculous.

9 hours ago, PaulinVictoria said:

Only the solid yellow areas are closed to traffic, not a big deal, although they might need to tweak Swiftsure courses.

It looks like there is an exclusion zone right along the southwest shore of Pender...I'd like to see some real coordinates to see if that is going to block Bedwell Harbour.

I guess they will have enforcement similar to Robson Bight in Johnstone Strait. College kids in ribs zooming around and chasing you off. It will be mostly ignored like Whiskey Golf.

What really astounds me is that this program is going into effect in two weeks, and there is no information available anywhere. It's like it was a huge surprise to everyone except the four people who drew up the announcement + map. Canadian Hydrographic has no information, Fisheries and Oceans has no information...yeah, I know this is standard government fuckup, like the recent proposal to make boaters go 200 miles off shore to dump holding tanks.

Yeah, the SRW are going to die anyway from the damage to chinook habitat and climate change, we should just take catch them and eat them now while we still can.  Maybe a big whale barbeque in front of the legislature in Victoria?  We could feed them to the homeless street people in Victoria.

4 minutes ago, dash34 said:

Yeah, the SRW are going to die anyway from the damage to chinook habitat and climate change, we should just take catch them and eat them now while we still can.  Maybe a big whale barbeque in front of the legislature in Victoria?  We could feed them to the homeless street people in Victoria.

On a bed of Eel Grass with Marmot appy's...

16 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

What really astounds me is that this program is going into effect in two weeks, and there is no information available anywhere. It's like it was a huge surprise to everyone except the four people who drew up the announcement + map. Canadian Hydrographic has no information, Fisheries and Oceans has no information...yeah, I know this is standard government fuckup, like the recent proposal to make boaters go 200 miles off shore to dump holding tanks.

There will be an app for that.

I can joke about the marmots but this year is looking to be another year of enviromental records and extreme forest fire danger. I expect that the sea temps in the northern Georgia basin to hit records this year too. The salal dying on VI is a real concern for all.

https://www.cheknews.ca/b-c-s-salal-shrubs-are-dying-and-extreme-weather-could-be-the-culprit-559194/

https://www.cheknews.ca/experts-say-drought-and-cold-could-be-responsible-for-salal-die-off-559734/

4 hours ago, dash34 said:

My wife came up with the concept that this is never actually going to happen as described, there will be mass protests from boaters and they will have to back off the exclusion zones at least somewhat...but in the meantime the federal election is coming, and the Libs want some environmental greenness schtick to bolster their chances out here.

Must be the same government that dropped the 10% surtax on imported boats from the US when, a month earlier, nobody I contacted had any clue what was going on and kept pointing fingers at other ministers. Oh, and of course I bought a boat from the US in the intervening month.

Archived