How about a The Ocean Race thread?

On 12/3/2020 at 4:06 PM, stief said:

Ouch. The three chosen for comments, Sam D, Kevin E and J. Beyou, are pretty much out of the current VG.

That is sad indeed, but a very good fact to add into their possible next participation with the (V)OR for the Euro2021 and the 2022 races :)

On 12/3/2020 at 9:20 PM, Miffy said:

Personally I expect two new events to replace VOR/TOR whatever this is called.

A shorthanded Class 40 org that's extremely competitive departs from France/UK, brief stopovers in Cape Town, ANZAC, S America, back in France/UK.

Then a  crewed more laid back classical large boat cruising event with the similar clipper route - no one particularly enjoys crossing the equator in the Pacific twice. Particularly when it means you enter the southern ocean too late in the season for a safe passage by mere mortals.

Personally, I hope your expectations are not true (no pun) :)  A race with IMOCA, VO65 + VO70s (+ ULTIMs) all together would by my personal expectation (in an ideal wonderland)

Very good points and reflexions read here ok.png.8ce9bd49a03c77270580fcb59b43c0c0.png

I'll keep on my path, and add again they are condemned to be together (IMOCA and (V)OR board comitees look like they agree...)

(V)OR actual director Richard Mason last off watch interview by Neil (audio is fuckuped but gives an idea the landscape he has on his desk at the moment, not an easy task at all and quite uncertain still)

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK first the low hanging fruit. The cost imposed by stopovers has made the race too expensive.  Also not well understood is many potential team sponsors see no or little RoI from stopovers y

Boris just announced the build of a new IMOCA for the TOR and the VG 2024.    11th Hour won't be alone any more!

Posted Images

On 12/4/2020 at 11:39 AM, Potter said:

I would have thought they are too heavy, and too beamy, to benefit from foils.  There is a VO70 (Trifork?) that has foils, and doesn't seem to be setting the world alight.

Note also Trifork cannot trim their foils. AOA adjusted by trimming the boat with ballast/stack.

HW

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Panoramix said:

For those who think that OD is needed for tight racing :

That's after half a world lap!

They should have rafted up and sung carols too

In 2016, while sailors on three boats (from Ireland, Switzerland and France) all waited to avoid a storm some 400 miles south of Tasmania, they decided to rendezvous, slacken their sails and exchange not only Christmas gifts—tobacco and whisky—but to sing carols together.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tmullen/2020/11/09/the-insanity-and-elegance-of-the-vende-globe-sailing-race/?sh=2f397a74554e

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Latest Off Watch, with Kevin Escoffier, as posted in the Vendée thread by @Bebmoumoute .

Interesting how he says he might do the TOR as preparation and data collection for the next Vendée. After all the Vendée is bigger then the TOR, at least in France, and he has won the VOR once already.

BTW, these in depth Off Watches are a bit long, but certainly worth checking through for missed ones.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Latest Off Watch, with Kevin Escoffier, as posted in the Vendée thread by @Bebmoumoute .

Interesting how he says he might do the TOR as preparation and data collection for the next Vendée. After all the Vendée is bigger then the TOR, at least in France, and he has won the VOR once already.

BTW, these in depth Off Watches are a bit long, but certainly worth checking through for missed ones.

His last answer is also very interesting, first he didn't really understood the question (and realized it), but on the structural thing, he said he didn't see why a VG Imoca boat should be any different from a TOR Imoca one (as the max loads can be the same, even if in a VG they will be reached much less often than fully crewed), but that for the ergonomics (number and placements of winches etc), indeed they could be different, and hence the planning issue, really not clear at that point if you can have a project aimed at both.

Would the Alex cockpit option be suitable for TOR for instance ? 

(when it clearly makes perfect sense for the VG)

Good news, two boats racing by 11th Hour team!

I've said it before, they might very well pull over more teams and sponsors for the TOR. The exiting Vendée will help too!

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/One-new-boat--two-new-crew--four-major-races.html?soid=1133102127113&aid=nHM6ReDmtwI

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Good news, two boats racing by 11th Hour team!

I've said it before, they might very well pull over more teams and sponsors for the TOR. The exiting Vendée will help too!

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/One-new-boat--two-new-crew--four-major-races.html?soid=1133102127113&aid=nHM6ReDmtwI

Two boats in these four races but come the end of the TJV it'll be back to a one boat campaign. It does seem like The Ocean Race Europe is getting good traction following a lot of worry within the class some months ago. 

• Like 1

Apparently the mothballed IMOCA/TOR project at Carrington (originally 'Slipstream') is close to getting picked up again and Carrington is hoping to get at least one more boat out of the mould....

On 12/7/2020 at 1:07 PM, Haligonian Winterr said:

Note also Trifork cannot trim their foils. AOA adjusted by trimming the boat with ballast/stack.

HW

I've heard some reports on the effective 'window' of these foils - if true it's a fucking expensive way to make a very small gain (and turn the inside of the boat into a jungle gym).

10 hours ago, JeronimoII said:

Mirpuri is pulling out of the Ocean Race, rumor mill says... but they have been announcing their crew on social media recently. Any confirmation anyone?

Where are these rumours Jeronimoll? The foundation is backed by airline money isn’t it? I can’t imagine they’re flush at the moment but who knows.

10 hours ago, NZK said:

Apparently the mothballed IMOCA/TOR project at Carrington (originally 'Slipstream') is close to getting picked up again and Carrington is hoping to get at least one more boat out of the mould....

I've heard some reports on the effective 'window' of these foils - if true it's a fucking expensive way to make a very small gain (and turn the inside of the boat into a jungle gym).

Correct (re:trifork). I don't know the background re: design brief etc, but as all foils take harsh rating penalties, and the water ballast adds immense weight, I'm not sure where the decision is to go static. They also cross in the middle of the boat so can't retract both at the same time.

HW

12 hours ago, Haligonian Winterr said:

Correct (re:trifork). I don't know the background re: design brief etc, but as all foils take harsh rating penalties, and the water ballast adds immense weight, I'm not sure where the decision is to go static. They also cross in the middle of the boat so can't retract both at the same time.

HW

AFAIK the foils are the old boards from the ETNZ AC72 cat - I think the whole foil install was done on a relatively low budget so articulating foil casings was probably too expensive...

They can both be retracted in port, not sure if it's possible under sail due to sheet leads etc as they have to be raised past the crossing point in the foil box.....

23 hours ago, furler49 said:
On 2/9/2021 at 11:26 AM, JeronimoII said:

Mirpuri is pulling out of the Ocean Race, rumor mill says... but they have been announcing their crew on social media recently. Any confirmation anyone?

Where are these rumours Jeronimoll? The foundation is backed by airline money isn’t it? I can’t imagine they’re flush at the moment but who knows.

@Potter  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, NZK said:

AFAIK the foils are the old boards from the ETNZ AC72 cat - I think the whole foil install was done on a relatively low budget so articulating foil casings was probably too expensive...

They can both be retracted in port, not sure if it's possible under sail due to sheet leads etc as they have to be raised past the crossing point in the foil box.....

Very interesting re: ETNZ. And good comms on retraction, I was definitely wrong on that point.

HW

CORUM IMOCA 60 has confirmed they will be competing in TOR Europe:

https://www.sail-world.com/news/235151/CORUM-LÉpargne-set-for-The-Ocean-Race-Europe 

There still doesn't seemed to be a confirmed route for the European event but hopefully we'll get more IMOCA teams confirming in the coming weeks/months after the Vendee is wrapped up and analysed..... 

• Like 3
On 2/9/2021 at 12:26 PM, JeronimoII said:

They've just released a whole new PR piece about the team line-up for TOR Europe;

"Mirpuri Foundation Racing Team skipper Yoann Richomme has confirmed an all-star crew of eight sailors for this summer's inaugural edition of The Ocean Race Europe."

https://www.sail-world.com/news/235170/All-star-crew-for-Mirpuri-Foundation-Racing-Team

8 hours ago, stief said:

Andi Robertson mentioned  that to the best of his knowledge, Alex plans to compete in TOR Europe, and that the HB contract is up for review at the end of the year

https://youtu.be/L7ox6yBmVcE?t=1869

If Alex can secure another round of funding from HB and decides to commit to TOR then that could be the leverage for more teams (new and existing) to take the plunge, the ATR team probably has the highest global exposure of any ocean racing project and would be a huge boost to TOR.

Whilst all may not agree or be particular fans of 11th Hour you have to hand it to Charlie and Mark, and Wendy S, for continuing to plow into their project even when they were the only ones in the paddling pool - arguably if they had pulled out it could have been the end of the whole thing. They might over-egg the 'sustainability' message a bit but they've been the only ones flying the IMOCA TOR flag for the past couple of years.....

• Like 2
On 2/9/2021 at 5:26 AM, JeronimoII said:

Richomme's team repeated in today's T&S

YOANN RICHOMME unveiled the composition of the  Mirpuri Foundation Racing Team which will run The Ocean Race Europe in May / June: Nicolas Lunven , Jack Bouttell ,Emily Nagel , Frederico Melo , Bernardo Freitas , Mariana Lobato and Willy Altadill . 

• 3 weeks later...

Lorient announced for the start of TOR-E and "will follow all relevant regulations and advisories with respect to Covid-19."

Lorient will host the start over the last weekend in May. As the home port for many IMOCAs, Lorient La Base is well positioned to welcome the race boats and teams ahead of the start of The Ocean Race Europe.

“Lorient La Base is proud to host the start of The Ocean Race Europe. With almost 50 local companies related to offshore sailing, Lorient Agglomération is an European renown territory of nautical excellence,” said Fabrice Loher, the president of the Lorient Agglomération, and the Mayor of Lorient.

“Lorient La Base has all the advantages of a consolidated ecosystem to support the greatest sailing teams. This is why the top skippers chose Lorient La Base as their home port. The start of The Ocean Race Europe is a new step to consolidate the reputation of the city as a host port for amazing offshore sailing races.”

The fleets will assemble in Lorient ahead of the start from the 28th May. Prior to arriving in Brittany, the VO65 fleet will participate in The Ocean Race Europe Prologue event, beginning in the Baltic Sea in early May and winding south before gathering at Lorient La Base at the end of the month, alongside the IMOCA fleet.

Organisers of The Ocean Race Europe are prioritising the health and safety of all competitors and stakeholders and will follow all relevant regulations and advisories with respect to Covid-19.

https://www.theoceanrace.com/en/news/12652_Lorient-France-will-host-the-start-of-The-Ocean-Race-Europe.html

3 hours ago, stief said:

Lorient announced for the start of TOR-E and "will follow all relevant regulations and advisories with respect to Covid-19."

https://www.theoceanrace.com/en/news/12652_Lorient-France-will-host-the-start-of-The-Ocean-Race-Europe.html

I must admit I haven't contemplated each and every word of this presser, but reading it I first wondered which year, 2021 or 22. Looking at the website, additional info (shouldn't that have been in the presser?) made me realize that it's May 2021. In the middle of a pandemic. I would have loved to go to Lorient again and see the start, but really, count me out. Not with the virus everywhere, if France let me in at all.

Looking for the route to make some sense out of the presser, I found this gem on the TOR website:
"The next edition of The Ocean Race, scheduled to start from Alicante, Spain in October 2022, will visit 10 international cities, including the start port and the Grand Finale finish in Genoa, Italy in the summer of 2023."

Bold mine: Alicante or Genoa, where is the start, please?

I read that later sentence as "10 cities including Alicante and Genoa"

• Like 1

Hey Rennie. Welcome back. Imagine you're glad not to be sorting out regulations for ACE and NZ gov consults on starts. 

Hard to keep The Ocean Race, The Ocean Race Europe, and the Ocean Race Prologue events separate.

Sail World says TOR-Europe is this year. So crowds can plan for Lorient in May 2021.      Hmmmm.

The inaugural edition of The Ocean Race Europe is scheduled to take place in late spring this year and is open to VO65 and IMOCA 60 teams. The event will feature racing from the Atlantic coast of Europe into the Mediterranean, with up to four stops along the way.

Unlike the start of the TOR-E, the TOR start cited in the last NOR Amendment, 3, is July 2020.  That's where the presser got the info about the start of the TOR. 

• 5.4  The In-Port Series and the first Leg will start in Alicante, Spain in late Autumn 2022. The Race will finish in Genoa, Italy in early Summer 2023.

There is also a Prologue Event planned for Sept 2022.  

• 5.2  Boats shall participate in a Prologue Event to Alicante commencing in Europe in September 2022, with a duration of up to two weeks.
  • 18.1 SAILING INSTRUCTIONS

The General SIs will be available in Q4 2021. When available they shall be posted on the Noticeboard.

THE RACE  The Ocean Race 2022-23 will consist of up to 9 Ocean Legs, and up to 10 In-Port races.

There will be an In-Port race scheduled in all Stopovers, the dates and times shall be contained in the Calendar.

• LEGS AND COURSES
  • The Race will start in Alicante, Spain and finish in Genoa, Italy and consist of nine Legs:
  • o Leg 1, Alicante, Spain to Mindelo, Cabo Verde
  • o Leg 2, Mindelo, Cabo Verde to Cape Town, South Africa 
  • o Leg 3, Cape Town, South Africa to Shenzhen, China
  • o Leg 4, Shenzhen, China to Auckland, New Zealand
  • o Leg 5, Auckland, New Zealand to Itajai, Brazil
  • o Leg 6, Itajai, Brazil to Newport RI, USA
  • o Leg 7, Newport RI, USA to Aarhus, Denmark
  • o Leg 8, Aarhus, Denmark to The Hague, Netherlands
  • o Leg 9, The Hague, Netherlands to Genoa, Italy

Anyway, Tor-E starts in May 2021 from Lorient, TOR-PE from somewhere in  Sept 2022, and the TOR from Alicante in fall 2022, . . . .  Maybe.

Looks like TOR wants as many acronyms and confusing pressers as the AC.

I won't be able to join you either. I hope to be suffering isolation on my boat all summer :lol:

edit: ( btw, my old login for the VOR still works for the TOR, so expect yours will too.)

Edited by stief
5 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

I read that later sentence as "10 cities including Alicante and Genoa"

Ah, got it. Yes, might have been a knowledge black-out of the English language. Thanks!

58 minutes ago, stief said:

Hey Rennie. Welcome back. Imagine you're glad not to be sorting out regulations for ACE and NZ gov consults on starts. 

Hard to keep The Ocean Race, The Ocean Race Europe, and the Ocean Race Prologue events separate.

Sail World says TOR-Europe is this year. So crowds can plan for Lorient in May 2021.      Hmmmm.

Unlike the start of the TOR-E, the TOR start cited in the last NOR Amendment, 3, is July 2020.  That's where the presser got the info about the start of the TOR. 

• 5.4  The In-Port Series and the first Leg will start in Alicante, Spain in late Autumn 2022. The Race will finish in Genoa, Italy in early Summer 2023.

There is also a Prologue Event planned for Sept 2022.  

• 5.2  Boats shall participate in a Prologue Event to Alicante commencing in Europe in September 2022, with a duration of up to two weeks.
  • 18.1 SAILING INSTRUCTIONS

The General SIs will be available in Q4 2021. When available they shall be posted on the Noticeboard.

THE RACE  The Ocean Race 2022-23 will consist of up to 9 Ocean Legs, and up to 10 In-Port races.

There will be an In-Port race scheduled in all Stopovers, the dates and times shall be contained in the Calendar.

• LEGS AND COURSES
  • The Race will start in Alicante, Spain and finish in Genoa, Italy and consist of nine Legs:
  • o Leg 1, Alicante, Spain to Mindelo, Cabo Verde
  • o Leg 2, Mindelo, Cabo Verde to Cape Town, South Africa 
  • o Leg 3, Cape Town, South Africa to Shenzhen, China
  • o Leg 4, Shenzhen, China to Auckland, New Zealand
  • o Leg 5, Auckland, New Zealand to Itajai, Brazil
  • o Leg 6, Itajai, Brazil to Newport RI, USA
  • o Leg 7, Newport RI, USA to Aarhus, Denmark
  • o Leg 8, Aarhus, Denmark to The Hague, Netherlands
  • o Leg 9, The Hague, Netherlands to Genoa, Italy

Anyway, Tor-E starts in May 2021 from Lorient, TOR-PE from somewhere in  Sept 2022, and the TOR from Alicante in fall 2022, . . . .  Maybe.

Looks like TOR wants as many acronyms and confusing pressers as the AC.

I won't be able to join you either. I hope to be suffering isolation on my boat all summer :lol:

edit: ( btw, my old login for the VOR still works for the TOR, so expect yours will too.)

Hi there, it's so much nicer hereabouts than in SAAC, indeed. The Italians over there are cuties, tho.
As I'm not following the TOR and its derivatives too closely yet, I need to catch up on the way it is handled. 

Poor you, sounds horrible: smileys-sommer-4.gif

Well then, let's see how things turn out. It's strange that they carry on with their plans in 2021, but understandable as well, since waiting for one more year or more would probably kill the endeavor.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Well then, let's see how things turn out. It's strange that they carry on with their plans in 2021, but understandable as well, since waiting for one more year or more would probably kill the endeavor.

I'm not holding my breath whether the TOR will actually happen (or in a form that will really attract a large following). If it does, regrettably the biggest loser will be likely be the Barcelona World Race.

As for the SAAC, I found it often a surprisingly good read this last few months or maybe brain's auto filter is more effective.

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, stief said:

Barcelona World Race

The Barcelona World Race won't be affected, that race died a while back and I have a sneaky feeling TOR/TOR-E/TOR-PE/TOR-XYZ will follow suit. I understand that although they've publicly stated they're fully funded, they're still looking for the elusive title partner for a measly 25/30 million... If true I'd suggest they're far from fully funded. 

The Barcelona or the TOR is needed for IMOCA to hope to also be the pinnacle of crewed ocean racing.

Either the Barcelona or the TOR also provides a safer test of IMOCA skippers and kit in conditions tougher than the TJV and the RdeR. Gives the VG a better chance of proving skippers and boats, where the rules allow pit stops.

Maybe some Arctic route can partially fill the gap between the Caribbean cruises and a full round-the-world?

Otherwise, the VG is taking a chance of becoming a more cautious 'competitive-cruise-in-company' rather than only the pinnacle of solo Ocean racing.

Recent news from Tip and Shaft about TOR and TOR-E

JOHAN SALÉN: "THE OCEAN RACE EUROPE IS AN INVESTMENT FOR THE FUTURE" 

C o-owner, with Richard Brisius, of The Ocean Race, Johan Salén was in Lorient this week , which was announced as the starting city of The Ocean Race Europe . The opportunity for Tip & Shaftto discuss with him on the first edition of this Tour of Europe which will start on May 30, but also on The Ocean Race 2022-2023. 

Why did you choose Lorient as the starting city of The Ocean Race Europe and was it the only candidate? 
We have had very positive feedback from several cities, in France and abroad. The more negative side is that the discussions took a long time because of the health situation, it cost us a lot of energy to put this race in place. In France, we had several options - we spoke with La Rochelle, Brest and Douarnenez - and the one in Lorient appeared to us to be the best. First of all because there is a good, highly motivated team here in Lorient. Then, for the teams, it was the best option, because many are on site and since there is a lot of work to be done on the boats that have taken part in the Vendée Globe, it saves a week / ten days. 

What will the program be on site? 
The start of the first stage will be given on Sunday May 30 , with no doubt a coastal race the day before, probably the turn of Groix . We do not yet know what we can do on land, we will have to be flexible on the subject, but our ambition is to make a good sporting event, which will work well in the media. 

The first stage will go to Cascais, the finish will take place in Genoa, what about the rest of the route? In particular, you had the project of a last stage which was to be part of the Giraglia… 
We actually have a piece of the puzzle to be placed in the Mediterranean . We have an option in Spain and another in the south of France, we'll decide by the end of next week whether we're just doing Spain, France, or both, which would then make four stages instead of three. As for the Giraglia, the idea was indeed to run the last stage during the race between Saint-Tropez and Genoa, it is still the plan, but there are rumors that it could be canceled, from suddenly, we are working in parallel to a plan B. 

" The very good start 
of a long story
 "

What is the budget for the race and how is it distributed? 
It's hard to say, because we already have the team in place that also takes care of The Ocean Race, so these resources already exist. But if we were to do everything from scratch, the budget would be around 2.5 million euros . Afterwards, for us, it is clearly an investment for the future, especially on the media and tracking part, because it is an event that we want to set up and develop to make it a more ambitious meeting in four years., I think this will be the very good start of a long story. So this is a somewhat pilot edition, on which the cities mainly provide us with services; the cash part is marginal, but we want to develop it in the future.  

What about the board in VO65 and Imoca? 
For VO65, as we have quite a few teams in northern Europe, in May we are doing a sort of promotional prologue which starts in Lithuania, then goes to Poland, Denmark and ends in Holland, in The Hague. . After that, the boats will come by convoy to Lorient to take the start. Today, on the VO65s in Europe, five will participate - Mirpuri , AkzoNobel , Brunel , the Poles and the Austrians - to which could be added another, also installed in Europe, and the Mexican VO65. As for the Imoca, we hope for 8 to 10 participants  [ to date, 11th Hour Racing and Corum have officially announced their participation, Editor's note] . 

" Two or three French teams 
on The Ocean Race "

Now let's talk about The Ocean Race: the next edition, which will also be the case for the following ones since the race becomes quadrennial, will come into confrontation with the Route du Rhum, major race of the Imoca calendar, this competition does not risk it deprive yourself of participants? 
Obviously a little. It is obvious that, traditionally, the Route du Rhum is an important race for French sponsors. Even if, for the Imoca class, given that there are more than 100 boats and the Ultimes finish a week before, it does not have the same media impact as the Vendée Globe at all. For us, the goal is for The Ocean Race to be as international as possible . In the scenario that we imagine today, we see two or three French teams , supported by international sponsors. 

Do you have more visibility today on the set of this 2022-2023 edition of The Ocean Race? 
In VO65, all the current owners of the boats have the ambition to go around the world, they are working on it, but they are not all funded, many decisions are dragging on at the moment because of the Covid. So there will inevitably be one or two who will not be able to make ends meet, I think it's realistic to say that we will have around six boats for The Ocean Race. As for Imoca, today we have four to six very probable projects, but not all signed, there is no French in there. And beyond that, there are between ten and fifteen possible, it's a little difficult to say today, 18 months before the start, if, among them, one or five will manage to finalize. But overall, although the last twelve months have been difficult, the trend is a little more positive than last year. 

Can you tell us more about the nationality of the “very likely” projects, in addition to 11th Hour Racing? 
It's pretty confidential, but what I can say is that the Spanish teamfrom previous campaigns is one of them, there are still a few final details to be finalized, but it is on the right track. After that, there is a lot of activity in Italy since we announced Genoa as the arrival city, there is also our German friend (Boris Herrmann) and important advances in China .

• Like 1
On 3/5/2021 at 8:09 PM, stief said:

Can you tell us more about the nationality of the “very likely” projects, in addition to 11th Hour Racing? 
It's pretty confidential, but what I can say is that the Spanish teamfrom previous campaigns is one of them, there are still a few final details to be finalized, but it is on the right track. After that, there is a lot of activity in Italy since we announced Genoa as the arrival city, there is also our German friend (Boris Herrmann) and important advances in China

Isn't that Xabi and Mapfre as the Spanish team? 

Dong Feng as the Chinese interest? But not sure who'd be onboard as a lot of the team from the past edition are already signed up on other IMOCA and Ultime projects...?

Any word on the Italian interst? Has Giancarlo got more backing from Prysmian??

On 2/10/2021 at 10:13 AM, furler49 said:

Unfortunately I have heard the same rumor. 

What about the Kiwi's? I did not see them mentioned in the above posts, but thought they were pretty locked and loaded with their VO65 for The Ocean Race?

3 hours ago, ronnie_simpson said:

Unfortunately I have heard the same rumor. 

What about the Kiwi's? I did not see them mentioned in the above posts, but thought they were pretty locked and loaded with their VO65 for The Ocean Race?

I'm guessing you cannot disclose where but what level of accuracy do you think they have? As mentioned before, backed by an airline that must be haemorrhaging money left right and centre, I cannot imagine an Ocean Race campaign would look good on the balance sheet!

• Like 1
On 3/8/2021 at 10:02 PM, furler49 said:

I'm guessing you cannot disclose where but what level of accuracy do you think they have? As mentioned before, backed by an airline that must be haemorrhaging money left right and centre, I cannot imagine an Ocean Race campaign would look good on the balance sheet!

Yeah, I can't disclose my source, but I would believe reasonably accurate as he is a pro sailor that runs in the VOR circles. Again, it's just a rumor that was passed to me. He said "blah blah blah, and rumors that Mirpuri isn't even doing the big race..."

Being a sailing journalist, I hear a lot of rumors but always keep tight-lipped about where they come from, or else they wouldn't keep telling me shit!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think this tells you all you need to know about the Mirpuri Foundation... 

Their Skipper Yoann Richomme is looking for a 60 project to include the Route du Rhum and Vendée Globe... 

775378987_Screenshot2021-03-28at19_21_15.thumb.png.bf7b7c2063dc2056c1ef0047675a975d.png

• Like 1

Wasn't Yoann looking for an IMOCA project before he signed with Mirpuri as he hadn't gotten a sponsor for a 60? I'm not surprised he's still looking, it might be a hedge against there not being an ocean race after the euro race? 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, stief said:

Bouwe Bekking to skip Sailing Poland

Cool, Cap'n Bekking has a boatload of experience!  :D

And Alicante is also part of the EU race:

Alicante, Spain is confirmed as final host city for The Ocean Race Europe

The Spanish port will be the penultimate stop in the race, before the final leg to Genova

The Ocean Race Europe will visit in Alicante, with the Spanish city confirmed as the fourth host city to be announced for the May/June event.

Alicante joins the start port of Lorient, France; Cascais, Portugal; and the host of the finish, Genova, Italy.

Alicante is very familiar territory for The Ocean Race, as the home of both the race headquarters and the venue for each of the around the world race starts since 2008.

“We are very excited that Alicante, the current headquarters of The Ocean Race and the home of The Ocean Race Museum, will host the penultimate stop of this new event, The Ocean Race Europe,” said Antonio Rodes, General Director of 'Sociedad Proyectos Temáticos' of the Valencian Region (SPTCV).

“The Ocean Race Europe will give continuity to the activities organised in Alicante. The new European race once again places Alicante in the framework of major international events, contributing to the future opportunities in attracting services and tourism and in the positive projection of the city in international media.”

The Ocean Race Europe is a new event on the offshore sailing calendar, open to the one-design VO65 class and teams sailing in a fully-crewed configuration in the IMOCA 60s.

The teams will race up to Alicante from Cascais on the second leg of the Race and will be hosted at the port of Alicante in mid June.

“We look forward to bringing The Ocean Race Europe to Alicante,” said Regatta Director Phil Lawrence. “This will allow fans in our home port to experience a taste of racing before the around the world race start in October 2022.

“Our Race HQ in Alicante will be an important centre for The Ocean Race Europe,” said Managing Directory Johan Salen. “Not only will Alicante host a stopover, but our Race Headquarters will serve as the hub for the media content and Race Management during The Ocean Race Europe.”

With the Alicante stop confirmed as the final piece of the race course puzzle, the full schedule for The Ocean Race Europe, including coastal races, will be released in the coming days.

The Organisers of The Ocean Race Europe are prioritising the health and safety of all competitors and stakeholders and will follow all relevant regulations and advisories with respect to Covid-19.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Cool, Cap'n Bekking has a boatload of experience!  :D

He does indeed, but couldn't recognize his boatload of crew in the short vid. Maybe he has found another 'young' Burling? :P 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stief said:

He does indeed, but couldn't recognize his boatload of crew in the short vid. Maybe he has found another 'young' Burling? :P 

I guess this means ‘Childhood’ isn’t heading to TORE..?! Is there an entry list anywhere? 

24 minutes ago, furler49 said:

I guess this means ‘Childhood’ isn’t heading to TORE..?! Is there an entry list anywhere? 

Yes, I wondered what happened to "Childhood." Maybe another skipper from the Netherlands for TOR-E?

Entry list: still looking. Most recent confirmation is the German team

As for the SIs for TOR-E (still only the NOR Amendment 1 on the Notice Board)

Nothing new on the https://www.theoceanrace.com/en/media/en.html either. 

I don't have the appropriate login, but can someone find anything on the Smartsheet notice board? https://app.smartsheet.com/sheets/

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stief said:

Yes, I wondered what happened to "Childhood." Maybe another skipper from the Netherlands for TOR-E?

Entry list: still looking. Most recent confirmation is the German team

As for the SIs for TOR-E (still only the NOR Amendment 1 on the Notice Board)

Nothing new on the https://www.theoceanrace.com/en/media/en.html either. 

I don't have the appropriate login, but can someone find anything on the Smartsheet notice board? https://app.smartsheet.com/sheets/

Who knows. So in IMOCA: 

- LinkedOut

- Corum

- The Germans (non-foiling) 

- 11th Hour 

- Louis Burton (unsure if he's been announced yet)

In V65: 

- Mexicans 

- Miripuri (their last outing as Miripuri) 

- Sailing Poland 

- the Austrians

- W Ocean Racing

The lack of info on this race is astonishing...  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, furler49 said:

The lack of info on this race is astonishing

yes. Today's T&S  discussed five planned RTW races (4 new).

This profusion of round-the-world tours - the Australian sailor Andrew Cape, whom we were unable to reach, had also announced the launch of the  Great Cape Race with a crew at the end of the year - in any case raises the question of their readability. media.  “Five races around the world in two years, four of which are firsts, that's a lot and there will inevitably be waste, summarizes  Kito de Pavant.  I am also not sure that all the organizers appreciate the heaviness of the events. so long and risky. " 

No mention of TOR.  Maybe the FR press would rather the Vendée becomes the ONE and only race for big money sponsors.

• Like 1

Maybe?

Nannini announces today 16 pre-registrations for what he believes to be  " the cheapest round the world trip in history " (7,500 euros for registration). The regulations will still impose four watertight bulkheads with a distribution of volumes verified by an architect, a modification that is neither economical nor simple on a production cruiser (when possible).

Security in question

If Lalou Roucayrol considers that this type of event  "devalues the work of people who try to make this sport their profession" , Corinne Migraine, vice-president of the French Sailing Federation, notes for her part: "The French enthusiasm offshore racing is based on human adventure and amateurs are undoubtedly frustrated by the professionalization of events . It is also up to the pros to better adjust their cursor because technology at the expense of reliability is not a good story to tell. " 

:P

21 hours ago, furler49 said:

Who knows. So in IMOCA: 

- LinkedOut

- Corum

- The Germans (non-foiling) 

- 11th Hour 

- Louis Burton (unsure if he's been announced yet)

In V65: 

- Mexicans 

- Miripuri (their last outing as Miripuri) 

- Sailing Poland 

- the Austrians

- W Ocean Racing

The lack of info on this race is astonishing...  

the Lithuanian VO65 Ambersail is also confirmed 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, stief said:

Nannini announces today 16 pre-registrations for what he believes to be  " the cheapest round the world trip in history " (7,500 euros for registration). 

Is it just me that would be terrified to enter ‘the cheapest round the world trip in history’? 2 for 1 or a cheap 12 pack yea for sure. But there is something about that line that sends shivers down my back!

10 minutes ago, furler49 said:

Is it just me that would be terrified to enter ‘the cheapest round the world trip in history’? 2 for 1 or a cheap 12 pack yea for sure. But there is something about that line that sends shivers down my back!

Snicker. Entrant Luca Tosi thinks it helps

Where does your passion for sailing come from?

I’m working with a therapist to try to understand that, but for the moment it remains something of a mystery.

What brought you to like single-handed sailing?

I imagined it as an intimate and spiritual voyage deep into the circle of life.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JeronimoII said:

the Lithuanian VO65 Ambersail is also confirmed 

Huh. Don't recall the skipper sailing on Brunel in 2014, and thought the Everest claim was mostly Vendée marketing. So, strange press release.

AmberSail2, a new team flying the Lithuanian flag will compete in The Ocean Race Europe in the VO65 class.

"This is a unique and historical opportunity. The name of The Ocean Race is sailing's Everest, a challenge like the Olympic Games. It is a great honor for us, as Lithuanian sailors, to be among the seven teams that will start in the inaugural edition of The Ocean Race Europe,"said Raimundas Daubaras, Ambersail 2 project manager.

"Until recently, this was only dream, but now it is becoming reality. We will definitely strive for the highest possible result, but participation in an event of this scale is already a great victory for Lithuania."

The sailing team will be led by Rokas Milevičius, an Olympian, and the first and only Lithuanian sailor to have previously participated in The Ocean Race (2014-15 with Brunel).

https://www.theoceanrace.com/en/news/12673_Lithuanian-VO65-team-AmberSail2-to-compete-in-The-Ocean-Race-Europe.html

They should have called it The Ocean Race Latin Europe...

France --> Portugal --> Spain --> Italy

No English Channel, no Irish Sea, no North Sea, no Baltic Sea...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Laurent said:

Continental Europe - or better yet, EU. 'The Ocean Race EU'. ;-)

9 hours ago, Laurent said:

Actually that would have been great, start in Lorient, around Britain to somewhere in Ireland (Galway again? Dublin?), then down to Cascais and the rest of the route, maybe even squeeze in Arhaus or somewhere between Lorient and Ireland?

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Actually that would have been great, start in Lorient, around Britain to somewhere in Ireland (Galway again? Dublin?), then down to Cascais and the rest of the route, maybe even squeeze in Arhaus or somewhere between Lorient and Ireland?

A bit of Kiel or Den Haag added... 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

A bit of Kiel or Den Haag added... 

True, with Offshore Team Germany, perhaps Lorient -> Kiel -> Ireland -> Cascais should have been the go! Hell even Lorient -> Kiel -> Cascais would have been a twist

• Like 1
On 4/21/2021 at 9:40 AM, Rennmaus said:

North and Baltic Sea are also partly EU. 

The Prologue is also happening, although not advertised by TOR. To include 4/7 teams (Austrians, Childhood, Ambersail, Polish). Racing Klaipedia-Gdynia-Stockholm-Gothenburg. Then deliver/race to Lorient and start TORE.

HW

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, INMARSAT set to go for "new firsts" in content for another round 

I am confident that the advanced communication capabilities including live streaming we deliver for this awe-inspiring challenge will create new firsts for the upcoming edition, such as the ground-breaking live drone footage we witnessed of the racing in the Southern Ocean from 2017-18. Plus, there will be more social media posts and content than ever before sent from the sailors and Onboard Reporters to portray the real drama and bravery of the personalities to the rest of the world.

https://www.theoceanrace.com/en/news/12684_Inmarsat-announced-as-The-Ocean-Races-official-satellite-communications-partner-for-sixth-time.html

1 minute ago, stief said:

For The Ocean Race Europe posts, keep them here or in the Ocean Race?

I dunno but I am guessing AkzoNobel will in all likelyhood race in both Races so that's why I posted it in this Thread!

But yeah maybe using the Europe Thread once the Race starts is better I think!

https://www.borisherrmannracing.com/news/boris-herrmann-and-team-malizia-will-participate-in-the-ocean-race-2022-23-and-the-vendee-globe-2024-25-with-a-new-race-yacht-en-ge-fr-2/

Team Malizia has committed to building a new boat with the French design team VPLP and the Multiplast yard in France in order to compete on the highest level in the coming years. VPLP and Multiplast built the current boat and proved to be reliable partners in the past years. The main aim for the new boat is to allow better wave passage and higher average speeds while setting even higher standards on robustness and reliability.
The project is already in the design phase. Malizia has grown the team in order to bring in strong technical knowledge from the French offshore racing scene. The team will also work with German based Greenboats in order to create boat-parts from sustainable materials and with SCHÜTZ in order to provide German-made materials for the new build.

• Like 4

Great news, none more so than for 11th Hour. Seems like a great project for Boris - really happy to see this. Looks like an interesting match race coming up ;) fingers crossed more team announcements come!

Not sure what this means: TOR and TIME magazine hook up. Going with print media seems like a retro move, but the vid desertion calls TIME a "global media brand."

Sad state of affairs!

The next leg of TORE is already over but please don't tell anybody as they really don't want people to follow the racing.

FYI: Bekking won the first leg and 2nd in the second...

Looks like Bouwe Bekking is keen on an A4 for the VO65s... Ken Read talks about them from about 14:00 in on this video:

Will they be taking sowing machines with them?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Looks like Bouwe Bekking is keen on an A4 for the VO65s... Ken Read talks about them from about 14:00 in on this video:

Thanks for that--really good to hear Ken Read. (Had to chuckle over his VO70 comments at the end: that 's the 2012 Telefonica he 'hated' ;) )

bottom line? Persuasive that the TOR- will be successful.

• Like 1

Looks like there is a good roll-up of both VO65s and IMOCAs for TORE:

image.png.2c2fbf2e485b9b4a42bcd07ffdbc743c.png

I can't find a Schedule of Races, tried TORE but not there.  Anyone have a link to it please?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

I thought that was the new sail the VO65's were getting this time around? So they'll all have them?

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

I thought that was the new sail the VO65's were getting this time around? So they'll all have them?

Yes, the VO65 is one-design, so they will all get the A4.  Don't know who makes the class decision for a change like this?

23 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Yes, the VO65 is one-design, so they will all get the A4.  Don't know who makes the class decision for a change like this?

As I understood it the new A4 has been added to the available One Design sail package from North but it's optional wehther teams purchase it or not - seems like all the teams have opted to take it.

• Like 1