How about a The Ocean Race thread?

Still somewhat confident that 11th Hour will pull the Imoca TOR through.

The race eminently suits the 11th Hour Project, as well as 11th Hour Racing Team. And the Racing Team is now well integrated with the French Imoca scene, and should attract some frogs, as well as krauts, and maybe cloggies and kiwis as well. 

But indeed, the smörgåsbord is risking to become more of a hunger strike though.

FYI: https://11thhourproject.org/

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK first the low hanging fruit. The cost imposed by stopovers has made the race too expensive.  Also not well understood is many potential team sponsors see no or little RoI from stopovers y

http://www.courseaularge.com/the-ocean-race-parcours-debat-quid-dune-equipe-dune-etape-francaise.html Paul Meilhat on the TOR and its course along with some others on the Auckland stop.  Rough tr

Posted Images

On 10/22/2021 at 9:18 PM, TANGO QUEBEC said:

Lots of filthy chat that the race will be postponed again, if that's the case, the 60s will go and do their own thing as TJV is coming and there's no point in racing them 'fully crewed'. The 65s will die off to be charter boats and the race as we know it will cease to exist. 

Obviously they already announced one delay (to December) with reduced stops, but I just can't see it getting off the ground with the level of interest. 3 or 4 IMOCA and a bunch of broke arse 65s.

Mirpuri out, only AZ with money, the rest of the 65s already look tired. Mexico probably got a chance of raising funds, anyone else have funds?

If it doesn't happen 11th Hour will have built the least sustainably friendly IMOCA 60 in history. Malizia, Offshore Team Germany at least have boats and are keen. Anyone else beyond the 'we want to be on the start line' press release?

2 hours ago, Jono said:

The V65 in NZ has been refitted and is ready to go but no sponsor .

Think NZ Sailing $$ is wrapped up in the turmoil of the AC atm ;) 

On 10/25/2021 at 12:59 PM, Potter said:

Obviously they already announced one delay (to December) with reduced stops, but I just can't see it getting off the ground with the level of interest. 3 or 4 IMOCA and a bunch of broke arse 65s.

Mirpuri out, only AZ with money, the rest of the 65s already look tired. Mexico probably got a chance of raising funds, anyone else have funds?

If it doesn't happen 11th Hour will have built the least sustainably friendly IMOCA 60 in history. Malizia, Offshore Team Germany at least have boats and are keen. Anyone else beyond the 'we want to be on the start line' press release?

AZ has the money but no confidence. It really isn't a pretty picture. 

Malizia I understand have a pretty awesome plan b lined up that involves a world tour of records and activation. Team Germany is as broke as the V65s. The Italians have announced a 60 campaign but from what I understand it isn't worth the press release that was written. 

A real shame...  

On 10/25/2021 at 12:59 PM, Potter said:

when did TOR announce a delay to December 2022 and less stops? On their website and on the notice board, there are still taking about 10 stopovers and a start in October 2022  (The NOR also mentioned 5 crew on the IMOCA plus on board reporter... that's way too much for the IMOCAs  

1 hour ago, JeronimoII said:

when did TOR announce a delay to December 2022 and less stops? On their website and on the notice board, there are still taking about 10 stopovers and a start in October 2022  (The NOR also mentioned 5 crew on the IMOCA plus on board reporter... that's way too much for the IMOCAs  

You are right, I can't find it, must have been the rumour mill.

6 people on an IMOCA just sounds horrible. 5 for a Fastnet was fairly intense, but I am sure it is doable. By the time you have 2 off watch, and one at a Nav / media desk you only have 3 left to fit into the cabin...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Now it is official, Potter. Start in December, dropping China and NZ and huge back to the roots leg Cape Town to Itajai. About time!

desperate move to drop team costs and to respond to the Imoca owner demands. Let’s see if it resonates or it is too late. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, JeronimoII said:

Now it is official, Potter. Start in December, dropping China and NZ and huge back to the roots leg Cape Town to Itajai. About time!

desperate move to drop team costs and to respond to the Imoca owner demands. Let’s see if it resonates or it is too late. 

Might not make the 11th guys too happy who went with a fairly moderate new design in order to cope with some upwind work... 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JeronimoII said:

New I had seen it somewhere! :P:P Just forgot about my time machine!

Correct me if I am wrong, but last time they went for a massive leg (Cape Town to HK) all the teams complained, and they ended up with the Melbourne pit stop?

2 hours ago, Potter said:

New I had seen it somewhere! :P:P Just forgot about my time machine!

Correct me if I am wrong, but last time they went for a massive leg (Cape Town to HK) all the teams complained, and they ended up with the Melbourne pit stop?

Correct. 

The next edition of The Ocean Race will feature the longest Southern Ocean leg in the 50 year history of the event, an incredible 12,750 nautical mile marathon between Cape Town, South Africa to Itajaí, Brazil. [From sail-world]

Now that's gonna be fun to follow from the safety of my couch.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, JeronimoII said:

That's about it. Race is struggling to survive without Volvo blowing millions. Delays, change of boats, wish and a hope by bringing in the IMOCA's. Few cities want to pay up and no sponsor, so a long procession around an ice exclusion zone. I have doubts about how many IMOCA'S will play, and without them it is terminal. Mr McIntyre has the mantel.

• Like 1

For IMOCAs the calendar should be thought out as a whole, for me the best would be in the year just after the VG, not the one before, no new boats for a VG cycle would risk doing doing TOR the year just before (except if TOR is the main objective, an clearly not the case for many)

Basically when the Ocean Race Europe was run, and it was quite a success

• Like 1
1 hour ago, yl75 said:

For IMOCAs the calendar should be thought out as a whole, for me the best would be in the year just after the VG, not the one before, no new boats for a VG cycle would risk doing doing TOR the year just before (except if TOR is the main objective, an clearly not the case for many)

Basically when the Ocean Race Europe was run, and it was quite a success

Out of interest, who is paying for the two-boat 11th hour campaign. Doesn't seem to have a proper sponsor and I am not sure what a billionaire would be getting out of it. At least the Russians who seem to have cornered the big boat market (Commanche, Skorpios etc) get to sit near the back and see their cash float away. 

20 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Out of interest, who is paying for the two-boat 11th hour campaign. Doesn't seem to have a proper sponsor and I am not sure what a billionaire would be getting out of it. At least the Russians who seem to have cornered the big boat market (Commanche, Skorpios etc) get to sit near the back and see their cash float away. 

Schmid family (former Google CEO and his wife). Sailing to save the world, sort of. 

3 hours ago, winchfodder said:

Out of interest, who is paying for the two-boat 11th hour campaign. Doesn't seem to have a proper sponsor and I am not sure what a billionaire would be getting out of it.

Don't know what you call a proper sponsor, but maybe scroll right to the top of this page to educate yourself a little.

still reeling in the news of no Auckland stopover - hopefully this can be reversed. Auckland, our sailing community, the marine industry and indeed NZ really need the positivity events like this bring, especially with a NZ based entry this time. Hope our agencies are working on this real hard

On 11/5/2021 at 5:17 PM, btime said:

still reeling in the news of no Auckland stopover - hopefully this can be reversed. Auckland, our sailing community, the marine industry and indeed NZ really need the positivity events like this bring, especially with a NZ based entry this time. Hope our agencies are working on this real hard

If only you could host the cup in NZ...

the last podcast from Shirley Robertson with Dee Caffari is excellent. The candid insights into the SCA campaign very interesting (and disturbing!). Glad Dee was willing to speak openly. Not many in the industry do with fear of upsetting potential employers. Go Dee go. (Nice partner you have, Potter). 

• Like 2

Those are not entry lists though are they... More like teams who would like to enter if they can find the money. 

Tigress Racing for instance does not even have an IMOCA. 

I think the TOR management will be happy if they get 5 IMOCA and 6 65s

From the latest Tip and Shaft interview with Johan Salen (TOR) and Antoine Mermod (IMOCA);

And so how many Imoca teams will be at the start in a little over a year? Johan Salén reckons "2-3 other very likely international teams, and, we hope, 2-3 French". At Imoca, Antoine Mermod believes: “If we have between 6 and 10 Imoca and between 4 and 6 VO65, it will be a success. The race was much more impacted by Covid, than others events, occurring at a time just when it was reinventing itself. "

The article has comments from a few IMOCA teams that suggest that if it can survive this first edition then more IMOCA teams will look to compete in the second edition as the scheduling will be easier to accommodate - with COVID, new boat builds and the lack of solid dates for this first edition many IMOCA teams have written it off but remain very interested in the concept. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, NZK said:

From the latest Tip and Shaft interview with Johan Salen (TOR) and Antoine Mermod (IMOCA);

And so how many Imoca teams will be at the start in a little over a year? Johan Salén reckons "2-3 other very likely international teams, and, we hope, 2-3 French". At Imoca, Antoine Mermod believes: “If we have between 6 and 10 Imoca and between 4 and 6 VO65, it will be a success. The race was much more impacted by Covid, than others events, occurring at a time just when it was reinventing itself. "

The article has comments from a few IMOCA teams that suggest that if it can survive this first edition then more IMOCA teams will look to compete in the second edition as the scheduling will be easier to accommodate - with COVID, new boat builds and the lack of solid dates for this first edition many IMOCA teams have written it off but remain very interested in the concept. 

https://www.tipandshaft.com/en/the-ocean-race-en/will-the-new-course-of-the-ocean-race-attract-more-teams/

• 2 weeks later...

TOR start announced: 15th of January of 2023.  Length of stopovers still unknown, but according to comments from some folks they are going to be much longer than the recent usual 10-15 days. 

Anyhow, good move to delay the start to January as it allows the IMOCA participating at the Route du Rhum to reach Alicante, but I am still doubtful how many besides 11th Hour and Boris might take part... putting 5-6 crew on an IMOCA designed to host 1-2 persons is a tough call. (I am not sure about the crew number for the TOR, Anyone?)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

January 15, 2023 the fun will start.
This is the dutch training team for teams Sailing Holland and Dutchsail in the third harbor of Scheveningen, The Hague (Holland) Holland Ocean Racing and Ocean races academy
2000563944_Volvo60racersboudragonandTokyo2.thumb.jpg.78ff5572b61df6dea79fdddd638551d2.jpg
VO60's Boudragon and Tokyo 2.
1248652274_Volvo60racersBoudragonandTokyo2b.thumb.jpg.8e9c46cfa7c3960bb26a2bdfc6ce6364.jpg
Route thanks to @yoyo
704221009_OceanRace2023-24.thumb.png.717137e6e249bc2f2562278089b4e005.png
This is the Dutch boat that will take part in 2023:
Team Janssen de Jong former Childhood.
592124152_JanssendeJong.jpg.217e2b5b76e68259ebd6aa3c98ec3685.jpg
Great!