Well, at least it is not the main ring frame bulkhead. The previous owner did some glass work on that with some carbon.

I found this when we were putting new stanchion bases on. The ole ones were 80's vintage and the welds are failing. The new Garhauer's are pretty awesome.

This crack should be easy to fix but I have never seen plywood with seams like this, but it is Canadian. The plywood is awful thin looks like 3 mil., not even near 1/4 in.
Here is a shot looking at the bulkhead that buttresses the Cockpit so it does not flex. The bulkhead does go out to the waterline.
On the  right side of the photo you can see the crack. This was not here the previous time I was on the boat. I think it is just old wood that finally got stressed over time.
If you follow the split to the other side you can see the seam was part of the whole piece of wood. The wood looks to be dried out.
I plan on injecting some glue and Clamping it and then on the back side, make a template and go from the bottom of the cockpit to the hull on both sides with Epoxy, Glass and screws.

20190518_143152.thumb.jpg.136dfdf9c628f2d20a731ee06c6c2dde.jpg

Here you can see the actual joiner work and failure of the glue. I'n not sure why the builders did not encapsulate the piece of wood in glass?
The second shot is the other side where you can see the work and it looks to be a biscuit joint. Very weird stuff for such an important structural piece.

20190518_143253.thumb.jpg.3ab8e14285def5e6a87caefa6bf76e66.jpg

20190518_143359.thumb.jpg.261c62af3f5e0411d544dc2e7d484f5c.jpg

Bkhd was probably fine until that 2nd cutout was made! If the top & bottom edges of the ply & the tabbing are in good shape I would just sister some new ply over the joint.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Glue and clamp, then a 4"  strip of db over the joint on both sides, then peel ply, then go sailing. 

Do both in the same operation and save time. 

Sand, glue and clamp with, 4 to 6 inch wide ply sister across the joint.  Or if no nice enough ply glue and clamp with same width of prelaminated and cleaned up (off the boat) to keep itchy stuff out of the boat+- 45 biax something.  Both sides if paranoid but stagger edges to avoid a hardspot.  

On 5/24/2019 at 8:54 AM, longy said:

Why add that much work & weight?? Only the joint has failed.

Since it failed it would appear it was inadequate for the stresses it carried - a little more beef would seem advisable.

A couple or three pounds of glass & resin will hardly cripple the boats performance.

The plywood did not fail - a crappy joint failed. Possibly initiated by the added cut out at the narrowest part of the bulkhead. but the tabbing & the rest of the ply show no signs of failure. 

On 5/25/2019 at 5:10 PM, SloopJonB said:

Since it failed it would appear it was inadequate for the stresses it carried - a little more beef would seem advisable.

A couple or three pounds of glass & resin will hardly cripple the boats performance.

I kind of agree. I sit in the back behind the traveler but I can have up to 3 guys near the hatch. That is almost 1000 lbs.

I'd hate to do just a patch and find something lower go out later.
My dad did teach me, if you are going to do something do it right and 100% effort.

The boat is only 3200 lbs.

On 5/25/2019 at 9:12 PM, longy said:

The plywood did not fail - a crappy joint failed. Possibly initiated by the added cut out at the narrowest part of the bulkhead. but the tabbing & the rest of the ply show no signs of failure. 

I just got some pretty clear 1/4" ply which is really  more like 3/16" What is odd is the 1/2" ply is really 1/2". WTF is with lumber specs?

Anyway, I am thinking of a nice piece from top to bottom fro the edge of the cut out to 15" which is just beyond th e drill hole on the right.
I'm gonna get some carbon and laminate it (screw included). This will be done on both sides for consistent  structural symmetry.
It is the cockpit brace after all and it is a long cockpit with no other supporting bulkheads.

The builders and previous owners never saw this coming.

28 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

WTF is with lumber specs?

The lumber and ply producers have been allowed to set their own industry standards - so we end up with the bullshit lies that make them the most money.

2 by 4's that are "nominally" 2 X 4 - in other words the first cut is to that dimension - then they plane it.

No fuckin' chocolate in other words.

RS : Rough Sawn

D2S : Dressed on 2 sides .

DAR : Dressed all round .

who do you think pays for the saw dust .................................

12 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I kind of agree. I sit in the back behind the traveler but I can have up to 3 guys near the hatch. That is almost 1000 lbs.

I'd hate to do just a patch and find something lower go out later.
My dad did teach me, if you are going to do something do it right and 100% effort.

The boat is only 3200 lbs.

I just got some pretty clear 1/4" ply which is really  more like 3/16" What is odd is the 1/2" ply is really 1/2". WTF is with lumber specs?

Anyway, I am thinking of a nice piece from top to bottom fro the edge of the cut out to 15" which is just beyond th e drill hole on the right.
I'm gonna get some carbon and laminate it (screw included). This will be done on both sides for consistent  structural symmetry.
It is the cockpit brace after all and it is a long cockpit with no other supporting bulkheads.

The builders and previous owners never saw this coming.

Carbon won’t be any better than glass on a fix like this.  It is stiffer, and stronger in tension. You need neither for this!  Glass, epoxy, and a vacuum bag if you can line one up! 

The ply hasn't failed, the weird biscuit joint has. Clamp and glue it back in line then glass either side to support the joint. The ply bulkhead is perfectly adequate as it has lasted this long, just needs a bit of help at the join. 

8 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

The ply hasn't failed, the weird biscuit joint has. Clamp and glue it back in line then glass either side to support the joint. The ply bulkhead is perfectly adequate as it has lasted this long, just needs a bit of help at the join. 

Mmm....

Biscuit......

Bacon......

Damn, I’m hungry!

• Like 1
On 5/28/2019 at 4:36 PM, Borax Johnson said:

12 layers won’t make up for the lack of titanium. You’ll need a 3’9 x 11’4” sheet of unobtanium milled to 3.14159mm thick and powder coated. Just remember to get it gamma ray hardened.

do you know any blue women with tail I can get some unobtanium from?

• 1 year later...

So I finally got around to doing some epoxing.

this is The bulk head before I laminated a piece on.

20190518_143253.thumb.jpg.3ab8e14285def5e6a87caefa6bf76e66.jpg

This is after but before some sanding and penetration epoxy to seal the wood. You can see the dowels sticking out. I used screws to pull the 2 pieces together and then removed the screws, drilled out the holes and put doweling in. You can see where the crack was at the top of the shot. From this point I used some aerosil/epoxy to fill and fair.

20201202_133611.thumb.jpg.413dbdcb2b5aaa3f8218ecf184f7ec60.jpg

After sanding, fill and fair, I did the penetrating epoxy.

20201221_141835.thumb.jpg.c17568240513af8071fed76161bcc7ff.jpg

The tape is gone now and it looks ready for a final coat after some light sanding to check for any high spots.

the question is, do I paint it with a 2 part Brightside, Platinum color, which I have. or Do I just put some white and/or gray pigment in the final epoxy coat yes I have both. The boat hull color is the Platinum color.
I will coat all the way to the bilge so the floor boards will meet the final coat nicely.
I will use a gloss inhibitor to make sure it is not going to give back a glare.

• Like 1
On 12/29/2020 at 9:18 AM, Bruno said:

Given all the meticulous effort seems a shame not to leave it claer, you've nothing to hide. Vanish and be done.

It's all the dowels filling the holes and the filling in that rectangle that a previous owner cut.  Too much different colors from the original veneer on the plywood. And my over sanding going through areas of that veneer.
I also want to sand and recoat the bilge at some point too. A previous owner painted it with one part Brightside, Hatteras White, that is cracking and peeling.
I was thinking of a color and of that back bulkhead that would meld into the bilge.

Absolutely right - the face of the ply is way too far gone to finish bright.

I'm doing my bilge areas in white Bilgecoat and the "show" areas in Matterhorn White Brightside - it's just slightly grey so it doesn't look like the inside of a refrigerator

• Like 1
On 12/30/2020 at 3:09 PM, rmdanko said:

any updates on getting some tail from the large blue woman ?

looking good by the way

Thanks, I hope it looks good with a final finish. I might do 2 coats

As for the Blue Lady, Mmybe in 2021, I hear Biden and Kamala will invite our galactic friends for a romp in the Lincoln Room.   HAHAHAHAHAH

• 3 months later...

Well, this project has taken entirely too long. The last few months have not been that kind.

Here is half finished.  I had to coat the bulkhead in halves because hiking my ass out is not easy and my feet can dangle near the wet paint. I only cared about the Front looking good so the back is not as pretty. You can see on the backside that I did not beef up the center part. That is because there is glass already over most of it.

I hope I get sailing soon.

bulkhead1.thumb.jpg.672fd5fb9af1feb7bd6c180d7375a850.jpg

bulkhead2.thumb.jpg.08151db605c38b361567903634471d8a.jpg

• Like 5
On 1/8/2021 at 9:23 PM, Rambunctious said:

I'm sure either the paint you have on hand or the pigmented epoxy would work great. That said, I have used Interlux Bilgekote in the past and it's dead simple to apply and durable.

https://www.interlux.com/en/us/boat-paint/topcoat-finish/bilgekote

The stuff works great, but absolutely reeks (ventilate and wear a good mask) and takes days to dry.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Well, this project has taken entirely too long. The last few months have not been that kind.

Here is half finished.  I had to coat the bulkhead in halves because hiking my ass out is not easy and my feet can dangle near the wet paint. I only cared about the Front looking good so the back is not as pretty. You can see on the backside that I did not beef up the center part. That is because there is glass already over most of it.

I hope I get sailing soon.

bulkhead1.thumb.jpg.672fd5fb9af1feb7bd6c180d7375a850.jpg

bulkhead2.thumb.jpg.08151db605c38b361567903634471d8a.jpg

Looks great! Finish it and go get wet!

• Like 1