Salona 44. Sail inventory.

SV MP

I’m mostly offshore and costal cruising, but optimizing performance is a priority and fast sailing is enjoyable for me. I may venture to do Newport to Bermuda in 2022/2024, but I’ve not gotten into ocean racing just yet, so I’m not outfitting for that per se. I plan on just carrying 2-3 headsails for the time being and have been researching my options. Currently, I just have a 135% Genoa by One Sails. Anyone here have much experience with the Salona 44 and willing to make any experienced based suggestions? My current thoughts are to get a 100 % jib, which will probably mostly live on the roller furler. I have a 3ft retractable bowsprit. I’m mainly concerned with downwind and close reaching options. Im not going to be able to carry a big inventory of sails. My initial thought was to obtain an A2 or A2/A3 hybrid type sail or perhaps something like Doyle’s APC (a cruisers A-sail, probably does nothing expectionally well but apparently  versatile) to help with the broad reaching and running space and some type of CZ for light air close reaching. The boat does well in mod to heavy airs, but I hate having to crank up the motor in the light stuff. Probably would prefer my 135% to be 150%. Anyway, if there is someone else on this forum who has one of these boats I would appreciate any advice you might be willing to share. 

10 hours ago, SV MP said:

offshore and costal cruising,

two words .

Roller furling.

That boat has a fairly large j dimension, so for close reaching, a big jib top will likely give best performance.  Of course if you have another headsail on a furler you'd have to change it out.  But a long close to beam reach transit with decent breeze, jib top would likely be good, 135 to 145 pct.

Downwind.. on that boat a symetric kite on conventional pole will give the best downwind vmg.  Otherwise get a full cut asym.

10 hours ago, Mid said:

two words .

Roller furling.

+ 1.0 x 10^6

The latest in top down furling of free flying spinnakers will allow you to furl up a kite without having to call all of your off-watch crew up.

You may also want to look at having a bobstay installed on you bowsprit.

Remember that some roller furling setups are designed to have the sail either all the way furled or all the way un-furled. I don't think you can furl a kite part of the way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 2:59 AM, SV MP said:

I’m mostly offshore and costal cruising, but optimizing performance is a priority and fast sailing is enjoyable for me. I may venture to do Newport to Bermuda in 2022/2024, but I’ve not gotten into ocean racing just yet, so I’m not outfitting for that per se. I plan on just carrying 2-3 headsails for the time being and have been researching my options. Currently, I just have a 135% Genoa by One Sails. Anyone here have much experience with the Salona 44 and willing to make any experienced based suggestions? My current thoughts are to get a 100 % jib, which will probably mostly live on the roller furler. I have a 3ft retractable bowsprit. I’m mainly concerned with downwind and close reaching options. Im not going to be able to carry a big inventory of sails. My initial thought was to obtain an A2 or A2/A3 hybrid type sail or perhaps something like Doyle’s APC (a cruisers A-sail, probably does nothing expectionally well but apparently  versatile) to help with the broad reaching and running space and some type of CZ for light air close reaching. The boat does well in mod to heavy airs, but I hate having to crank up the motor in the light stuff. Probably would prefer my 135% to be 150%. Anyway, if there is someone else on this forum who has one of these boats I would appreciate any advice you might be willing to share. 

I am familiar with the Salona 44 and the sails for the boat.  A 100% jib and the PFR from OneSails is way to go, You should contact Mark Washiem who has just joined us at OneSails mark@onesailsna.com

FFR_Brochure.pdf

Archived