Long weekend. What’s on the grill?

Made up some burgers, with chives and oregano chopped up and also serval shots of bourbon in the beef.   Also did my bratwurst.    4 cans of Guinness, 3onions chopped, 10 brats in the beer and onion bath brought to boil,  then brats  to the grille to get crispy, and then back in the beer bath for 20 min.

Pork Shoulder roast with cracking on on the Kamado Yesterday. 8 hr cook low and slow followed by 30 mins at 550. No pics but about a 1/2" smoke ring and the cracking is all gone!

Burgers, sweet Italian sausage, chicken breast portions (seasons and marinated) and spare ribs for a gathering of 22 family and friends yesterday. 3 kids of crab dips for starters. Wine, beer, water and soda.  Great early summer day. 

Controller on my smoker died a few weeks ago and the company went out of business so spares have been impossible to get. May have to adapt something generic but I miss that cooker. 

5 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Nice glaze, show us the smoke ring!

All gone. Smoke ring was not great, but it tasted great. 

I did it on a Weber grill, need to load up the wood chunks early in the process next time 

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Grabbler said:

Cranked the Egg up to 650° and put in the hotplate...blackened red snapper that was swimming this morning...

Didde same hearer withe stripte bass, roasted asparragas and potattose.                               :)

Sorrey, no picts.

Last night the BIL que’ed up some excellent tri-tip my son and his mail order bride did the tators and veggies and I drank a shitload of wine

good times indeed.  

2 hours ago, pbd said:

Last night the BIL que’ed up some excellent tri-tip my son and his mail order bride did the tators and veggies and I drank a shitload of wine

good times indeed.  

Talk about burying the lead. Mail order bride?

Deboned lamb roast...studded with garlic and rubbed with rosemary, Greek seasoning, black pepper and olive oil...this was the final sear...new potatoes and green beans in the skillet had just come off...wasn't baaaad at all...

20190629_202607.jpg

July 4th, I have a pork shoulder I am going to smoke. I plan to let it go all day and then eat it on Friday. My son gave me some silicon gloves so you can move the bigger cuts around with your hands without burning yourself, and my wife gave me a pair of bear claw meat shredders, I haven't used either yet, so I am looking forward to trying them out. 

Yesterday I grilled chicken thighs and corn on the cob for dinner, then lowered the heat a little and put some bone in chicken breasts on. 45 minutes later took those off and we chopped them up for salads and fried rice later in the week. Love the weber, wish I had dumped propane years earlier. 

Two pork butts going in the smoker first thing in the morning. Dry rubbed with a 60:40 blend of of kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Going with a mix of pecan and hickory for a change. I'll wet smoke them for about 5 hours and then pull them out and wrap them in foil and put them back in for another 5 hours or so. 

I let the guys down the street smoke my brisket for me. There is simply no way I could ever compete. It's THAT good.

However, I do something really novel with the leftovers. Chopped Brisket Enchiladas with Chipotle Pepper and Adobo sauce.  Seriously good shit with a nice smokiness to it.

It ain't my Turkey and Sausage Gumbo, but it's damn good!

• Like 1

For the July 3rd show in Liberty Bay it'll be some bone-in ribeye steaks on the Dickinson Sea-B-Que at the transom, a nice Argentine tomato and onion salad using a fruity olive oil, and a good Malbec. Oh, and some quality milk chocolate bars for dessert.

Simple and tasty as hell. 

14 hours ago, On The Hard said:

I let the guys down the street smoke my brisket for me. There is simply no way I could ever compete. It's THAT good.

However, I do something really novel with the leftovers. Chopped Brisket Enchiladas with Chipotle Pepper and Adobo sauce.  Seriously good shit with a nice smokiness to it.

It ain't my Turkey and Sausage Gumbo, but it's damn good!

IF I ever have any leftovers, the enchiladas sound like a good idea.... IF I have leftovers. 

• Like 1

Re: snakes hiding in the grill, all you have to do is turn the grill on before you open it. Pro tip: wait until you see smoke before open the lid. Don't ask me how I know.

• Like 1

gf grilled salmon, zucchini and corn on the cob tonight.. was pretty damn good.. i've been burnin hot dogs on the grill the last few days. LOL

Been grilling all week...busted out the fryer tonight..."Fried Spiders" amongst a plethora of other things including tempura squash and jalapeno poppers...

IMG_2096.jpg

On 7/3/2019 at 10:00 AM, IStream said:

Re: snakes hiding in the grill, all you have to do is turn the grill on before you open it. Pro tip: wait until you see smoke before open the lid. Don't ask me how I know.

Turn the Grill on before you open it?  

I don’t know how he summoned up the steadiness to pull it off, but my dad ( usually the worlds biggest chicken)  somehow managed to squirt a rattler in the bbq with lighter fluid and set it on fire.  Not one of those prissy gas BBQs. God that was a mess, what with the 20 gauge and everything.  Wound up at the A&W eating Colonel Saunders....

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Amati said:

I don’t know how he summoned up the steadiness to pull it off, but my dad ( usually the worlds biggest chicken)  somehow managed to squirt a rattler in the bbq with lighter fluid and set it on fire.  Not one of those prissy gas BBQs. God that was a mess, what with the 20 gauge and everything.  Wound up at the A&W eating Colonel Saunders....

Hah!

"Son, let's never speak of this again."

58 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

You guys are doing your ribs right by the look! Never thought of marinating them. We did short ribs which I should have tortured a little longer. The racks of lamb came out great though.

I use either apple cider or apple juice with some apple cider vinegar for about 8 hours on my ribs 

2 hours ago, IStream said:

Hah!

"Son, let's never speak of this again."

This is what happens when a rich kid Western Washington intellectual with an IQ of 175 moves his family to the middle of Eastern Washington to find his inner something or other-  problem solving at it’s most elemental level it wasn’t! :lol:

He thought it was pretty funny, and damned if the new perforations in the bbq didn’t make for better cookin’!  Oops!  I meant better control of the interior thermodynamics......

• Like 1
On 7/3/2019 at 3:24 PM, chinabald said:

This explains it  

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to/a21051/grill-snake-method/

i can keep the heat on my Weber at about 250 for close to 10 hours before having to add any more briquettes 

That's one thing i like about my Egg - it'll burn like that on a load of hardwood charcoal just controlling the air intake.    Just don't lift the lid and walk away for more than a second - or you'll ruin the ribs that have been cooking all day.  Or so somebody once told me. 

On 7/6/2019 at 11:51 PM, Amati said:

People in the office are looking at me funny right now...... .

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ist that what happended to hime?  What a inglorriouse waye forra Coll. to go.                                    :)

Old honorific fake southern soldiers never die.......they just are represented in tv ad buys by actors!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/kfc-casts-first-female-colonel-sanders-reba-mcentire-791977%3famp=1

I just got informed that I've volunteered for a Gumbo Cookoff next week.

SHEEE  IIIIITTTTT! Gumbo when it's 100 degrees?   Oh well. It will still be awesome.

BGE been running all afternoon...Jr and I picked five 5 gal. buckets of 'maters yesterday...been fire roasting and canning some of them...decent coals left so threw on my pork and pepper-jack sausage to go with roasted tomato gnocchi...

IMG_2136.jpg

20190713_200559.jpg

Did teriyaki pork chops on the grill with hand cut red potato fries, and asparagus with lemon butter..... The chops were only so/so..... But you can only work with the materials that you are given.

• 2 weeks later...

Venison burgers...venison hot dogs...fed a big crew tonight...hard to make this look good with the pustules and all...but snuck some venison and shrimp boudin on at the end for a "private tasting"...20190727_193850.thumb.jpg.d36b820ef12d10e1df7487e938bf8987.jpg

Had a young friend of ours land a +200# bluefin and he was kind enough to hack off a pound or so for Wifey and I

It was probably the best meal of 2019. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cleared up the fish section of the freezer today...me and my buddy ran about 20lbs of tile, mahi, and grouper through the smoker...he loves the little "taste test droppings"...big batch of fish dip headed this way, and the remainder gets vacced/frozen for winter treats...

20190811_182029.jpg

20190811_194144.jpg

This might seem lame.... Sorry. La Choy orange ginger stir fry sauce. Add garlic, ginger and sesame oil.  And ground pepper. Marinade skinless chicken thighs (peel the skin off regular thighs) or pork chops.

Serve with A rice pilaf with onion, parsely, pepper and chicken boullion. Add a fresh fruit mix or a green salad with sesame dressing.

Use a meat thermometer and pull the meat off the grill at the rare/ medium rare temp to preserve the juucyness.

I'm doing prime grade NY strips that I scored over Labor Day weekend. I better not fuck it up. Salt and pepper, seared direct for 1.5 each side then indirect to 123 degrees. Stand for 15.

Tater salad, mushrooms in a red wine reduction and sugar snap peas for sides.

2 hours ago, austin1972 said:

I'm doing prime grade NY strips that I scored over Labor Day weekend. I better not fuck it up. Salt and pepper, seared direct for 1.5 each side then indirect to 123 degrees. Stand for 15.

Tater salad, mushrooms in a red wine reduction and sugar snap peas for sides.

Is “scored” another way of saying you butchered one of your cows and are just now getting around to having the steaks? 

We started buying most of our beef from a local farmer who does freezer meat. They opened up a store so they can sell it in smaller quantities not just in halves or quarters. Holy crap are those steaks better. 

I actually got the beef at Costco. It looks really nice! The marbling is fantastic. Very fine and lots of it.

When I sell a side or whole, I try to buy a few steaks from the buyer. I don't sell quarters because the cuts are all messed up. I've thought about the store thing but I simply don't have the time for it. Plus, I want to GTFO of Illinois. I've got a pretty solid job opportunity in Grand Rapids, MI. My hand can operate the day-to-day farm stuff and I'll just pay bills/do the planning.

6 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

I actually got the beef at Costco. It looks really nice! The marbling is fantastic. Very fine and lots of it.

When I sell a side or whole, I try to buy a few steaks from the buyer. I don't sell quarters because the cuts are all messed up. I've thought about the store thing but I simply don't have the time for it. Plus, I want to GTFO of Illinois. I've got a pretty solid job opportunity in Grand Rapids, MI. My hand can operate the day-to-day stuff and I'll just pay bills/do the planning.

That's what I told myself about a month after getting married.....

Pics will come - but, this weekend, we're hosting our annual "Steak-Off".   The host determines the cut ( I'm choosing a ribeye this year) to eliminate the potential for competitors to show up w/a $100 piece of wagyu beef.  Competitors draw a number for cooking sequence, and they can season/prepare/cook their steak however they'd like.   I'll have Sous Vide, Egg, Gas Grill, Stove Top, Oven, Charcoal grills and a fire pit.    

The competitors are the judges.  Judging is 5 categories:  Entrance, Appearance, Tenderness, Doneness and taste.    What's the Entrance? It's how you introduce your steak to the judges - you pick an entrance song, and are permitted to decorate yourself or your presentation.   One year - a competitor brought his steak in on a platter w/a moat of lighter fluid, set it on fire to his entrance song of "Ring of Fire".  A couple years ago, we did NY Strip steaks, and my wife came in w/about 10 layers of clothes over her swimsuit, and did a strip tease to Joe Cocker's "You can leave your hat on".    After the entrance - the competitor cuts his steak in half and parades it around again so that the judges can see how "done" it is.  It's then cut into pieces for each judge to taste.   

It's a fun time, and the steaks are the excuse, not the meal, so we typically do my take on a surf/turf - ribs and crab balls as the meal. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Pics will come - but, this weekend, we're hosting our annual "Steak-Off".   The host determines the cut ( I'm choosing a ribeye this year) to eliminate the potential for competitors to show up w/a $100 piece of wagyu beef.  Competitors draw a number for cooking sequence, and they can season/prepare/cook their steak however they'd like.   I'll have Sous Vide, Egg, Gas Grill, Stove Top, Oven, Charcoal grills and a fire pit.    

The competitors are the judges.  Judging is 5 categories:  Entrance, Appearance, Tenderness, Doneness and taste.    What's the Entrance? It's how you introduce your steak to the judges - you pick an entrance song, and are permitted to decorate yourself or your presentation.   One year - a competitor brought his steak in on a platter w/a moat of lighter fluid, set it on fire to his entrance song of "Ring of Fire".  A couple years ago, we did NY Strip steaks, and my wife came in w/about 10 layers of clothes over her swimsuit, and did a strip tease to Joe Cocker's "You can leave your hat on".    After the entrance - the competitor cuts his steak in half and parades it around again so that the judges can see how "done" it is.  It's then cut into pieces for each judge to taste.   

It's a fun time, and the steaks are the excuse, not the meal, so we typically do my take on a surf/turf - ribs and crab balls as the meal. 

I like your style, Guy.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:09 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Kanga.thumb.jpg.b9145711a77d24cb4ba33a5bff9a7e27.jpg

That's for you Chester!

I tried Kangaroo once, which was one time too many.  To me it tasted like rancid liver. I immediately knew why I’ve never heard of Roo burger joints being opened throughout Australia!