My Song fell off a cargo?!

9 hours ago, Zonker said:

This arrangement - you're hoping the lashings are all strong enough. The mostly vertical ones do nothing to stop transverse loads. But certainly the latest photos of the busted cradle suggest that the cradle was not great.

Yep a transverse/lateral load failure at hull supports. Good lashing layout may have prevented that but cradle so close to edge of ship at vessel BMax nearly vertical and so useless to resist lateral loads accentuated by mast. Can't tell but it looks like a recycled cradle base built to hold up the Empire State Bld but with a new hull support structure jumped up on account of extra keel height that had a fraction of the metal and it didn't cut the mustard and just peeled off. Someone is going to get a rogering.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A couple of things to bear in mind before any of the haters start throwing more shit around; 1. Plenty of talented and committed people have put a lot of work into building and maintaining this b

These toys employ a lot of us, directly or indirectly. When billionaires decide to spend their money in a way that puts it into the yachting industry we should embrace it and not bitch. Would you pref

[Interviewer:] Welcome, thank you for joining us in what must be a trying time. [Peters & May Spokesman:] It’s a great pleasure, thank you. [Interviewer:] This ship that was involved in

Posted Images

On 5/29/2019 at 6:18 AM, Navig8tor said:

Gonna get interesting.

Most cradles are built to support a vessel at rest. The splashes or external molds taken from the external hull are usually taken and positioned in areas with internal bulkheads or ring frames ensuring the vessel is well supported

But weld that to a deck, load with 105 tonnes,  placed 4 m(13-14ft) above deck.

Plus 50 m (164ft ) rig above the deck and a then move it all around in a nasty sea.

Remembering a good amount of the weight is at the bottom of the keel, but the rig will be jacked and shimmed to maintain a reasonable amount of tension to stop rig movement probably in excess of 100t.

All of a sudden you have a shit ton of differing loads.

The ratchet straps have to be carefully placed to avoid damage to the vessels topsides and  gunwhales,  over tensioning can cause hull distortion.

You can imagine you will not need much to fail before you have a major problem on your hands.

That was my initial suspicion: a swinging keel. 

6 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

I keep picturing something like this when that keel starts swinging around.

Needs a few more pounds on him, otherwise he has found new minimum in size for a personal helicopter!

- Stumbling

On 5/27/2019 at 5:59 AM, Chimp too said:

These toys employ a lot of us, directly or indirectly. When billionaires decide to spend their money in a way that puts it into the yachting industry we should embrace it and not bitch. Would you prefer they just left it in a bank volt?

That side, was a beautiful yacht with some really innovative features. A lot of very talented and passionate people worked on the project and I feel sorry for them and all involved for seeing her come to such an end. And I feel for the owner, he put a lot of time, passion and money into the project and it was looking to have produced just what he wanted for years to come.

Yeah, his dick is back to size Small!

My little boat came from Taiwan in a much better cradle than My Song's. Still, can't believe that the shipping company can escape all liability for this loss. They must have some responsibility for what happened, from loading oversight to poor seamanship. 

As for the critics of My Song and her owner,  you guys are on the wrong forum. This boat is one of the finest, most magnificent  works of man.  You should be so lucky as  to get a chance to sail  on a boat like this.  It's like a sports car nut who drives a Mazda Miata but gets upset when he's passed by a Ferrari. 

43 minutes ago, Antoine31 said:

It's like a sports car nut who drives a Mazda Miata but gets upset when he's passed by a Ferrari

Wrong forum mate, this is Sailing Anarchy, not fucking Motorcar Analogy. And they should have dumped that Taiwan POS of yours in the ocean too.

Now go and sit in your crew uniform on the rail of My Song, with 30 of your monkey mates, so that Pier Piana can swing his dick in the regatta named after his own grandpa. He can do with his money what he likes, and it is nice to see he created a beautiful yacht, but don't think we are the least jealous. I rather sail my 5 knot shitbox in a beercan race, or sail in a proper RTW for that matter.

45 minutes ago, Antoine31 said:

Guy must drive a Miata. 

I drive a carbon Taiwan bicycle with a lifting saddle, 360 deg. pedals, 2 wheels, no crew, and can do 30 knots downhill.

Now, tell me more about your Ferrari.

mini-ferrari-battery-powered-car.jpg.a89372a6b80f1aad29179a747e5aa8e9.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Feber-Ferrari-California-Battery-Powered/dp/B004S1ZTZS

Just now, Fiji Bitter said:

I drive a carbon Taiwan bicycle with a lifting saddle, 360 deg. pedals, 2 wheels, no crew, and can do 30 knots downhill.

Now tell me more about your Ferrari.

mini-ferrari-battery-powered-car.jpg.a89372a6b80f1aad29179a747e5aa8e9.jpg

Now Fiji Bitter,

Your not admitting that you are a tree hugging, non meat eating, where’s my soy milk double shot puffie coffee drinking cyclist are you ? 

Mate, we don’t like those type of people around here. Lol

I think you should of started that comment with “I once drove before I saw the light .......”   I’m  just saying 

pulpit

2 hours ago, Antoine31 said:

It's like a sports car nut who drives a Mazda Miata but gets upset when he's passed by a Ferrari.

Thanks to speed limits the maximum speed most people drive is related to how willing they are to risk their drivers license, and not by how many horsepower their car has.

2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Wrong forum mate, this is Sailing Anarchy, not fucking Motorcar Analogy. And they should have dumped that Taiwan POS of yours in the ocean too.

Now go and sit in your crew uniform on the rail of My Song, with 30 of your monkey mates, so that Pier Piana can swing his dick in the regatta named after his own grandpa. He can do with his money what he likes, and it is nice to see he created a beautiful yacht, but don't think we are the least jealous. I rather sail my 5 knot shitbox in a beercan race, or sail in a proper RTW for that matter.

I guess the second part of your screen name is a bit of a personal descriptor. 

2 hours ago, pulpit said:

Now Fiji Bitter,

Your not admitting that you are a tree hugging, non meat eating, where’s my soy milk double shot puffie coffee drinking cyclist are you ? 

Ithink you should of started that comment with “I once drove before I saw the light .......”   I’m  just saying 

pulpit

Right on Pulpit,

I am a passionate leaf peeper with woolen socks and scandals, grow my own alfalfa, and sail a bamboo Wharram proa. I vaginate with with paper charts and the stars, write a Facefoul blog about my ocean crossings, and love meeting other fucked up yahties with motorsailors and condomemorans, and rub shoulders with superyacht PBO's.

I also like preaching from my pushpit, but never seen the light yet. I've seen the green flash though, when that spipole hit me between the eyes, and all sort of colors when a friendly Aussie did the same during a Christmas dinner.

So no worries mate, fuck I love this place and love myself more than enough already, fuck this lame SA super cradle snatchers thread too, I am moving over to PA, if I can find it.

Fiji Bitter Forever. 

c141bbc15d9ba6262508d6bd9396748af140be7930bbdc542ec91106f03f7c58.gif.0c65e7489125ee1b6a783117295bb4fa.gif

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Gissie said:

I guess the second part of your screen name is a bit of a personal descriptor. 

You gissed right, Pissy Gissie. 

Now, let me guess:

G is for glitter, the spark that is you.

I is for interest, you show in others.

S is for serious, not always joking.

S is for share, your talents, time, and possessions with others

I is for immense, are your great qualities

E is for encouraging, thanks for the motivation!

3 hours ago, See Level said:

Look at the second steel section down from the top,

No shear bracing on either cradle.

view-28.thumb.jpg.aef476829e677705043aa1a520a64813.jpg.def3d0e6accf753515953413e7915b96.jpg

After shot, note that section is broken on  both cradles.

1860919259_Cradlefailure.jpg.73715dbf121c81670aeffe26f99f0187.jpg

Think you are onto it See Level!

Those sections don’t  look like they would stand up to much movement ie)if the straps did not prevent the Song sliding fore and aft in the cradle even a short distance for instance.

Supports my original  hypothesis cradle collapse first, keel brace failure second swim time third.

Be interesting to know if they found any bits of the rig on the ship or it failed after going splash.

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Peters & May still in denial and hoping to pass the buck to owner and crew as per their original Press Release.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/218095/Peters-and-May-update-on-the-loss-of-My-Song

Par for the course Jack they will be tip toeing thru a minefield of shit and I guess nobody wants to be on the hook for a 50 mill claim plus salvage , this one has expensive written all over it!

3 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Those sections don’t  look like they would stand up to much

Just about say definitely this was a recycled cradle with a shit extension to accommodate the increase in draft. Can't see any competent engineer doing that knowing straps could provide no lateral restraint being located so close to edge of the ship. Maybe they weren't aware of that deck location? 

7 hours ago, See Level said:

view-28.thumb.jpg.aef476829e677705043aa1a520a64813.jpg.def3d0e6accf753515953413e7915b96.jpg

Spot on mate, nice observation!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Just about say definitely this was a recycled cradle with a shit extension to accommodate the increase in draft. Can't see any competent engineer doing that knowing straps could provide no lateral restraint being located so close to edge of the ship. Maybe they weren't aware of that deck location? 

That seems key.  Easy to imagine the boat and cradle acting like a big pendulum as the mothership rocked to and fro.

If the cradle is so suspect in design and it’s function, which it appears to have been. Why didn’t anybody from Peters and May, or the ship tell them it wasn’t fit for purpose and refuse to load the boat onboard?

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, mad said:

If the cradle is so suspect in design and it’s function, which it appears to have been. Why didn’t anybody from Peters and May, or the ship tell them it wasn’t fit for purpose and refuse to load the boat onboard?

The answer is that there is in fact NOT much wrong with the cradle !

Initially, judging from the early pictures, I was highly critical of them, called them a piece of shit, and many posters agreed with this view. However, now having seen the close up pictures, it appears they were actual quite sturdy, and also the keel was taken adequately care of. OK, they surely had a weak point, a stress point if you like, but that alone could never have been the prime reason for the failure.

Several of the more knowledgeable posters have mentioned the strange lashings. I dare say that the only way the cradle could have broken off, "hinged" or sheared off if you like, is if the lashings were inappropriate (stupid) and insufficient (strength) They failed, period.

Who ever is responsible for that part, who ever signed off on it, or who ever is ultimately responsible, fact is that Peters & May took on the job, and they have the obligation to oversee the entire operation.

The P&M CEO can start eating humble pie, and plenty of it. He promised to make more information available in due course, but I bet we will not here from him again.

15 hours ago, pulpit said:

Hold on a minute mate - that's a Left Coast stereotype that doesn't hold up in my neck of the woods. Most of our bike group arrived in pickup trucks to ride this morning. We fought off two pitbulls on our sufferfest that eventually led to the coffee shop, where everyone drank plain ole coffee black.  No cyclists admitting to tree-hugging veganism in our region...they might get dropped out on a swampy backroad and left for the water moccasins.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

The answer is that there is in fact NOT much wrong with the cradle !

Initially, judging from the early pictures, I was highly critical of them, called them a piece of shit, and many posters agreed with this view. However, now having seen the close up pictures, it appears they were actual quite sturdy, and also the keel was taken adequately care of. OK, they surely had a weak point, a stress point if you like, but that alone could never have been the prime reason for the failure.

Several of the more knowledgeable posters have mentioned the strange lashings. I dare say that the only way the cradle could have broken off, "hinged" or sheared off if you like, is if the lashings were inappropriate (stupid) and insufficient (strength) They failed, period.

Who ever is responsible for that part, who ever signed off on it, or who ever is ultimately responsible, fact is that Peters & May took on the job, and they have the obligation to oversee the entire operation.

The P&M CEO can start eating humble pie, and plenty of it. He promised to make more information available in due course, but I bet we will not here from him again.

Exactly my point, P&M start off with slinging the shit at everyone else and at no point addressed the fact that they loaded it on took on the contract to deliver the boat. If you’re not sure of the cradle, don’t ship it.  It’s too fucking late to start blaming others when it fell of your ship. 

My experience has been that in "heavy lift" cargo ops (as opposed to containers, bulk or break-bulk) there are frequently a bunch of cook's in the kitchen, re: how to load, what's safe, what's not, etc. The Captain of the vessel has final say, but pressure from line management to carry the freight as tendered is often significant. I'd expect that there was some sort of document presented by the owner/shipper that the "cradle" was engineered and constructed to appropriate standards for known and expected factors. Shipline Risk Management folks, Stevedoring, Safety, Ship's Officers, Sales, Insurers, Owners and/or Owner's Agents all get to sit at the table if there are questions about the lift and carriage. Impossible to say how the Bill of Lading may have been claused. Post incident, lawyers and PR control what's said to the public, while surveyors, Safety, Insurance and others perform the post mortem. CYA is the name of the game at this stage.

5 hours ago, monsoon said:

That seems key.  Easy to imagine the boat and cradle acting like a big pendulum as the mothership rocked to and fro.

Those look like the size straps I use to tie down my Capri 25

19 hours ago, See Level said:

Yes, good spot.  However well that was tied down it was going to go sideways if you shook it hard enough.  Good job it went that way, over the side, rather than onto the yachts next to it.  That would have been a right fucking mess.

2 hours ago, See Level said:

Yeah, but I'm guessing it was nasty when it fell in. What with all the straps and cables and shit that was attaching it to the ship.

Probably a bunch of scraping and banging and rolling against the ship.

https://www.superyachttimes.com/yacht-news/my-song-yacht-salvage

SYIQ_81801.jpg

Good one See Level, finally news that it is still afloat, and the salvage is progressing.

Looks like they have pumped out a lot of water already, but there may be substantial leaks. And is the rig still attached?

I was wrong on saying we would probably not hear from P&M, but I was partially teasing them. They said:

Further to our Press Release on 28 May 2019, appointed salvors, MCS Marine Claim Services Germany have now taken possession of MY SONG and are working hard to prepare her for a tow to Palma in due course.

At this stage, our preliminary assessment of the cause of the incident (as detailed in our previous press release) remains the same. Nevertheless, investigations into the cause of the incident remain ongoing and we will release further information once it is possible to do so. We can confirm that the yacht’s cradling system has been discharged and is undergoing inspection.

We urge everyone to steer away from speculation and to respect the sensitivity of this issue.

https://www.petersandmay.com/en/news/update-in-reference-to-loss-of-sailing-yacht-my-song/

Still maintaining their stubborn and irresponsible stance. Time for the owner and cradle builder to sue them for defamation and shut them down.

I kindly urge Peters and May to steer away from speculation and to respect the sensitivity of this issue.

They are not gone listen to me of course, and SA is not gone stop speculating either. I am speculating that the CEO will be gone when the official report comes out (who will do that, Panama?), or at the conclusion of the court case, if any.

I am trying to visualize the load on the cradle that would have caused the failure shown in the pic of the cradles. 

If the tie downs failed then as the cradle is fairly shallow where it holds the hull I think the hull would have slid out sideways before that amount of cradle damage was done.

So I am thinking that the tie downs held and the cradle started to fail on one side the tie downs held the hull down onto the failing cradle which had additional load with the inside edge of the hull trying to move up hence the degree of cradle damage. 

BTW I have an armchair on my boat.

2 hours ago, European Bloke said:

Yes, good spot.  However well that was tied down it was going to go sideways if you shook it hard enough.  Good job it went that way, over the side, rather than onto the yachts next to it.  That would have been a right fucking mess.

Yes it would have been a fucking mess, but repairs to all would probably be less than the repair and restoration of the nearly sunk My Song...

58 minutes ago, TQA said:

I am trying to visualize the load on the cradle that would have caused the failure shown in the pic of the cradles

Valid visualization To Question Anonymously.  That and many similar scenarios are possible, and they may not be able to figure it out definitive ever.

But the bottom line is, and I am repeating myself, that it would not have happened if it had been lashed properly.

And even if the cradle failed first, for which I can see no evidence BTW, even that could have been caused by the stupid vertical lashings.

Notice the difference here:

yacht-on-deck.jpg.6477bae1cfc65c1d80cca640f78bc672.jpg

4 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Good one See Level, finally news that it is still afloat, and the salvage is progressing.

Looks like they have pumped out a lot of water already, but there may be substantial leaks. And is the rig still attached?

I was wrong on saying we would probably not hear from P&M, but I was partially teasing them. They said:

Further to our Press Release on 28 May 2019, appointed salvors, MCS Marine Claim Services Germany have now taken possession of MY SONG and are working hard to prepare her for a tow to Palma in due course.

At this stage, our preliminary assessment of the cause of the incident (as detailed in our previous press release) remains the same. Nevertheless, investigations into the cause of the incident remain ongoing and we will release further information once it is possible to do so. We can confirm that the yacht’s cradling system has been discharged and is undergoing inspection.

We urge everyone to steer away from speculation and to respect the sensitivity of this issue.

https://www.petersandmay.com/en/news/update-in-reference-to-loss-of-sailing-yacht-my-song/

Still maintaining their stubborn and irresponsible stance. Time for the owner and cradle builder to sue them for defamation and shut them down.

I kindly urge Peters and May to steer away from speculation and to respect the sensitivity of this issue.

They are not gone listen to me of course, and SA is not gone stop speculating either. I am speculating that the CEO will be gone when the official report comes out (who will do that, Panama?), or at the conclusion of the court case, if any.

It’s interesting to look at the link to Peters and May web site and see what is said and when you go looking you can find some interesting parts 

https://www.petersandmay.com/media/2408/superyacht-transport-brochure.pdf. Read pages 8 and 9. It talks about cradles, lashings and the loadmasters. 

https://www.petersandmay.com/media/2080/faqs-caribbean-trade.pdf. The section 5 talks about using your own cradle and it need to pass their inspections and section 15 even talks about insurance as well. 

Pulpit

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, pulpit said:

https://www.petersandmay.com/media/2080/faqs-caribbean-trade.pdf. The section 5 talks about using your own cradle and it need to pass their inspections and section 15 even talks about insurance as well. 

Cradle, lashings and fixings (with vessel) has to be treated as a homogeneous structural solution having regard for route/time specific passage risks. They can't be seperated. P&M are the "expert" party in this regard, not the client.

P&M's risk commences at lift. "Client provided" cradles and likewise by extension any "lashings" etc are clearly subject to P&M approval and acceptance, or not, irrespective of being fit for purpose or not. P&M is responsible for "deck/lashing layout" and for all "fixings". Insurance is an option of Client OR P&M's nominated Insurer.

Unless there is a Client waiver or element of misleading and deceptive conduct, P&M and or the Insurer are fucked. Their public finger pointing towards the client before even having access to anything is therefore puzzeling and may indicate existence of a client waiver for something?

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Unless there is a Client waiver or element of misleading and deceptive conduct, P&M and or the Insurer are fucked. Their public finger pointing towards the client before even having access to anything is therefore puzzeling and may indicate existence of a client waiver for something?

Came across this article earlier. My attention span is not sufficient to comprehend it all, but fiduciary duty and some High Court decision seem to make a waiver possibly end up in the shredder. 

http://www.heavyliftpfi.com/insight/my-song-lost/

In any case the P&M statement is a indeed "puzzling", you say these things so politely, really. :huh:

@Fiji Bitter that references a "general loss or damage to deck cargo waiver", not applicable in this case. Waivers of any kind generaly can't excuse a experts or in that court case a carrier’s negligence or its failure to exercise due diligence.

However waivers can exclude something specific. For instance if the client provides "certification" as to cradle design, construction and installation inclusive of specific tie down specs/layout and the P&M made their approval and acceptance subject to that "certification" and properly executed their installation responsibilities in compliance with that, P&M would be off the hook.

That said I can't see any client silly enough to facilitate acceptance of that risk unless they wanted to do something that the carrier would not approve without that waiver transfering responsibility.

A calendar is often the cause of many offshore boating incidents. Maybe this is another one?

39 minutes ago, TANGO QUEBEC said:

She's headed to Palma behind a Salvage tug, will be interesting to see photos when she's hauled...

Anyone got confirmstion of the name of the tug being used? A quick AIS search shows the Spanish tug 'Paris' doing about 4.5 knots off the SE corner of Mallorca with Palma listed as her destination and expected at 07:00 Monday morning - this seems the most likely...

I expect she'll be headed for haul out at STP which will get a lot of attention - a lot of people here with very close ties to the boat....

• Like 1
15 hours ago, See Level said:

Yeah, but I'm guessing it was nasty when it fell in. What with all the straps and cables and shit that was attaching it to the ship.

Probably a bunch of scraping and banging and rolling against the ship.

https://www.superyachttimes.com/yacht-news/my-song-yacht-salvage

SYIQ_81801.jpg

2 hours ago, NZK said:

Anyone got confirmstion of the name of the tug being used? A quick AIS search shows the Spanish tug 'Paris' doing about 4.5 knots off the SE corner of Mallorca with Palma listed as her destination and expected at 07:00 Monday morning - this seems the most likely...

I expect she'll be headed for haul out at STP which will get a lot of attention - a lot of people here with very close ties to the boat....

it looks like the one with My Song

showphoto.aspx?photoid=3037544&size=1600

On 5/31/2019 at 11:28 PM, Fiji Bitter said:

'Kinell Fiji, who pissed in your weatabix day before yesterday?  Haha, you sailing in a proper RTW race, keep on dreaming mate.  I bet you cant even get around Fiji without getting lost.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, See Level said:

I'm guessing that big triangle behind the guy on the right is part of the keel chocking.

1860919259_Cradlefailure.jpg.73715dbf121c81670aeffe26f99f0187.jpg.1da6109b04892d874a2c3f59b6f28002.jpg

Correct port side keel chock providing transverse restraint. Stb side chock however looks to have gone commensurate with vessel going over the starboard side dragging it with it or it relied on just being strapped to that one piece on port side which is doubtful.

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

and nobody thought to strap it in place?

Looks like it. A cradle that will easily handle the load on land can be pretty unstable on a moving cargo ship. My guess (and it’s only a guess) is they tied down the boat but not the keel (enough). These lead bulbs can generate an awful lot of side-force. 

22 hours ago, European Bloke said:

Yes, that looks like a serious weak point, considering the sections above and below are nicely triangulated and would be super rigid, it wouldn't take much side load to shear that middle section with only 4 vertical supports.
Also notice how the diagonal bracing on the top section all ends up in the middle where it is effectively unsupported (not what caused the failure but really?)
It looks like a really poor job was done of extending the craddle vertically but just bolting a few vertical bits of unpainted steel in between two otherwise well built structures with no diagonal bracing whatsoever (there isn't any in the longitudinal direction either). Whoever designed (I'm not sure it's worthy of that term...) this should be shitting bricks right now!

It would have taken a lot of lateral lashing to prevent this from happening considering the lashing is going to have a lot more stretch than the steel so most of the lateral stresses have to be taken up by the craddle itself, the lashing is really only keeping from lifting up from the craddle.

I'm guessing fatigue failure in these vertical legs of the craddle is what caused it to fail.

11 hours ago, Laser1 said:

'Kinell Fiji, who pissed in your weatabix day before yesterday?  Haha, you sailing in a proper RTW race, keep on dreaming mate.  I bet you cant even get around Fiji without getting lost.

Fuçking hell Laserop, ever since I had an English landlady I've been eating that soggy weetabix shit, and then that noob Antoine is telling us to not be critical on SA, can you imagine...

And indeed,  I've written to Samantha and offered to cook freeze dried sperm for an all female crew in the next TOR, and she said that I first need get a double bypass and sex change from Initiative Coeur. That will be my big chance for fame and the CvanR most promising young sailor trophy.

You are right about sailing around Fiji, it's like a Round Britain Race with 10.000 Scilly Isl., Rockfalls, Orkney and Shetland Isl., Hebrides, and not to forget the IOW and the Needles. The last time I tried to do an Around Fiji, in training for the Wouter VOR shortcut, I ended up doing an Alex, sailed straight over a reef, and woke up inside a lagoon. Now I can't find my way out anymore, and have asked Rimas to come and get me out, or maybe P&M can make a courtesy stop on their way to the AC. Meanwhile it's very peaceful here, and thanks to SA I'm staying totally insane. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Bill E Goat said:

From Marine Traffic the Tug is about 4m from Palma so 2 hours at current speed

Can't wait to see the pictures!  

In a little under 2 hours time it is almost getting light, i.e. sunrise at 6.23 am. local time (CET).

This webcam has a good view of the harbor, but seems to be playing a video for now.

https://www.seemallorca.com/webcams/palma-marina

My bet is that after a good survey she'll sadly be declared a constructive total loss.  Even if the carbon structure survived the fall and impact, and if the rig didn't punch holes, the carbon structure is only a third, or perhaps a quarter of the value of the whole boat.

I'll bet PLLP has already been on the horn to Baltic to ask about build slots, and to yacht brokers to find out if there's a suitable interim boat out there.

25 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

My bet is that after a good survey she'll sadly be declared a constructive total loss.  Even if the carbon structure survived the fall and impact, and if the rig didn't punch holes, the carbon structure is only a third, or perhaps a quarter of the value of the whole boat.

I'll bet PLLP has already been on the horn to Baltic to ask about build slots, and to yacht brokers to find out if there's a suitable interim boat out there.

Yep second you on the CTL.

And yes I would venture Baltic has been approached about a build slot they recently splashed 3 reasonably big boats in the space of 10 days.

It will take an optimist with truely massive gonads and an equally major check balance to contemplate buying what’s left of this one , stripping interior, wiring, engine and systems

29 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he bought one of the available J-class yachts like Svea, and have it transported by Dockwise to the AC  J-Class circle jerk in Auckland. 

Even though Piana sold out to LVMH (Louis Vuitton), he might very well be good friends with Bertelli, and in any case he likes New Zealand sheep (NPI).

1559268932048.jpg.8743a60b0f4a4d8d1470c289fc89b4f3.jpg

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/113118777/recordbreaking-superyacht-lost-in-mediterranean-after-falling-off-cargo-ship

This thread has accomplished just one thing, it has reinforced my belief that it is very difficult to drum up support for billionaires.  I am very happy no one was killed or seriously injured.

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

This thread has accomplished just one thing, it has reinforced my belief that it is very difficult to drum up support for billionaires.  I am very happy no one was killed or seriously injured.

I feel for the guy, sadly there are some here that have a major chip on their shoulder wrt billionaires.

The guy lost a beautiful boat some here have a boat, and are equally proud of, if they lose it I would feel for them too, at the end of the day it’s a matter of scale

30 ft, 40 ft, 140 ft.

I don’t think we should resent wealthy people some are insanely smart some are members of the lucky sperm club

If they are sailors they share a love for a sport and way of life that makes them just like me and then if they are not obvious jerks about it, they have my mutual respect.

Whatever floats your boat!

• Like 2

No sign of her in STP yet - big travel lift is over the pit with divers waiting in their tender so looks like they're expecting someone although the yard us at full gas right now so could be anyone...

Saw the tug out in the bay on the way in with a pilot boat pulling up..

Whatever was off the back of the tug was VERY low in the water, could barely make anything out and too far away for a photo...

• Like 5
1 hour ago, NZK said:

No sign of her in STP yet - big travel lift is over the pit with divers waiting in their tender so looks like they're expecting someone although the yard us at full gas right now so could be anyone...

Saw the tug out in the bay on the way in with a pilot boat pulling up..

Whatever was off the back of the tug was VERY low in the water, could barely make anything out and too far away for a photo...

Fuck I love this place!

Thanks for the report NZK.

1 hour ago, NZK said:

Thanks for trying NZK ! 

That tug must be anchored well over mile out, and they might use the yard tenders to bring the dead whale in. Trust you will try and get some pictures later, they might not show much of the damage but I bet we will find something to comment on.

And of course any gossip will be much appreciated too, take care!

I can't believe they can have cut away the rig when she was still out at sea.  If so, it was a risky bit of business on a partially submerged deck.  Otherwise it's still dragging alongside, which might explain the current anchoring out.  We will see.

Anyway next op after assessment is airbags and straps, then get some dewatering done before she comes in.  Once the deck is all above water the rig might be dealt with, probably cut off and bouyed for now. 

This thing will keep a load of people busy for some time.

[Interviewer:] Welcome, thank you for joining us in what must be a trying time.

[Peters & May Spokesman:] It’s a great pleasure, thank you.

[Interviewer:] This ship that was involved in the incident in the Mediterranean between Mallorca and Genoa this week…

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Yeah, the one the MY Song fell off?

[Interviewer:] Yeah

[Peters & May Spokesman:] That’s not very typical, I’d like to make that point.

[Interviewer:] Well, how is it untypical?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Well, there are a lot of these ships going around the world all the time, and very seldom does anything like this happen … I just don’t want people thinking that shipping luxury boats isn’t safe.

[Interviewer:] Was shipping the MY Song safe?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Well I was thinking more about the other ones…

[Interviewer:] The ones that are safe...

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Yeah... the ones where the luxury boats don’t fall off.

[Interviewer:] Well, if this wasn’t safe, why did it have MY Song on it?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Well, I’m not saying it wasn’t safe, it’s just perhaps not quite as safe as some of the other ones.

[Interviewer:] Why?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Well, some of them are built so the luxury boats don't fall off at all.

[Interviewer:] Wasn’t this built so MY Song wouldn’t fall off?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Well, obviously not.

[Interviewer:] “How do you know?”

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Well, ‘cause MY Song fell off, with the cradle and fucked the luxury boat right up. It’s a bit of a give-away.” I would just like to make the point that that is not normal.

[Interviewer:] Well, what sort of standards are these ships which transport luxury boats built to?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Oh, very rigorous … maritime engineering standards.

[Interviewer:] What sort of things?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Well the luxury boats are not supposed to fall off, for a start.

[Interviewer:] And what other things?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Well, there are … regulations governing the materials they can be made of

[Interviewer:] What materials?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Well, Cardboard’s out

[Interviewer:] And?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] …No cardboard derivatives…

[Interviewer:] Like paper?

[Peters & May Spokesman:]. … No paper, no string, no cellotape. No carbon …

[Interviewer:] Carbon?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Yep, no carbon. Too fucking expensive... Um, They’ve got to have a steering wheel. There’s a minimum crew requirement.”

[Interviewer:] What’s the minimum crew?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Oh… one, I suppose.

[Interviewer:] So, the allegations that they are just designed to carry as much freight as possible and to hell with the consequences, I mean that’s ludicrous…

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Ludicrous, absolutely ludicrous. These are very, very stable vessels

[Interviewer:] So what happened in this case?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Well, MY Song fell off in this case by all means, but that’s very unusual.

[Interviewer:] So why did MY Song fall off?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Well, a wave hit it.

[Interviewer:] A wave hit it?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] A wave hit the ship.

[Interviewer:] Is that unusual?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Oh, yeah… At sea? …Chance in a million.

[Interviewer:] So what do you do to protect the environment in cases like this?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Well, the ship was towed outside the environment.

[Interviewer:] Into another environment….

[Peters & May Spokesman:] No, no, no. it’s been towed beyond the environment, it’s not in the environment

[Interviewer:] Yeah, but from one environment to another environment.

[Peters & May Spokesman:] No, it’s beyond the environment, it’s not in an environment. It has been towed beyond the environment.

[Interviewer:] Well, what’s out there?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Nothing’s out there…

[Interviewer:] Well there must be something out there

[Peters & May Spokesman:] There is nothing out there… all there is …. is sea …and birds ….and fish ...and a few Lasers, they're everywhere you know...

[Interviewer:] And?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] And the wreck of MY Song.

[Interviewer:] And what else?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] And a cradle.

[Interviewer:] And anything else?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] And the ropes and chains and shit which tied the MY Song to the cradle, but there’s nothing else out there.

[Interviewer:] Thank you for joining us.

• Like 13

Damage to starboard side suggests rig went off that way, looks like a lot of chafe damage to stbd side of cabin top.

Not much happening at the moment, waiting to haul but I'm outta here for the day. Pretty sure more pics to come and there's a good crowd.

IMG-20190603-WA0001.jpg

• Like 1