My Song fell off a cargo?!

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A couple of things to bear in mind before any of the haters start throwing more shit around; 1. Plenty of talented and committed people have put a lot of work into building and maintaining this b

These toys employ a lot of us, directly or indirectly. When billionaires decide to spend their money in a way that puts it into the yachting industry we should embrace it and not bitch. Would you pref

[Interviewer:] Welcome, thank you for joining us in what must be a trying time. [Peters & May Spokesman:] It’s a great pleasure, thank you. [Interviewer:] This ship that was involved in

Posted Images

Very sad to see a nice boat abused so badly, whether small or big, a poor or rich owner.

We already know it was not lashed properly. Now look at the damage the splash cradle bit inflicted on the hull, before it was torn apart by the full weight of the yacht on one side of the cradle. Sickening and shame on all those responsible.

RIP My Song.

10 minutes ago, Moonduster said:

The core floats the keel - no real surprise there.

Really? This is a bigger sister, with much more data: http://data.orc.org/public/WPub.dll/CC/16784.pdf

Based on that and some hand waving I would questimate My Song has in the order of 500 m2 core material. Depending on source the ballast is about 40 tonnes. CF has 1600 kg/m3 density, engine and a lot of other installations have much higher density. Displacement was 105 tonnes. Say 50-60 tonnes below water without considering the core? To float that you would need to have at least 10 cm thick core. Or actually more, since the core will also have about 100 kg/m3 density. I don't know much about the structure of a130 feet yacht, but I would be surprised to see that thick core. Wouldn't most cored sailboats sink, if the keel is not lost?

There must have been water tight compartments that were not compromised or some extra foam for flotation.

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if there weren't at least 2 W/T bulkheads forward, and one aft. 

Also the water tanks would have been emptied (always a good idea when shipping a boat) and possibly the fuel tanks too.  That would provide plenty of flotation.

• Like 1

Salt water probably got into the bar. Probably can salvage some of the gin and rum etc. <_<

Too valuable to scrap, too expensive to fix properly. May end up in someone's backyard as a DIY project.

Damage doesn't look structural, though who can tell with pictures.

2 minutes ago, Gantt said:

Too valuable to scrap, too expensive to fix properly. May end up in someone's backyard as a DIY project.

Save the lifting keel and keel box, rudder stock, winches and hydraulics, and build a new boat around them. The rest is done.

• Like 1

This mention only 50 and 75 mm cores: http://reichel-pugh.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/MySongTechnical_SeahorseNov2016.pdf

Tanks could provide close to 10 tonnes of flotation: https://www.balticyachts.fi/2016/10/10/baltic-130-song-calls-tune-multi-role-innovative-superyachting/

but it's mostly from fuel tank that probably had some fuel.

Still needs water tight compartments not compromised to float.

12 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Save the lifting keel and keel box, rudder stock, winches and hydraulics, and build a new boat around them. The rest is done.

Sad sight, but that’s probably not a bad idea,  any news on the rig?

2 hours ago, Parma said:

I wonder if that is a total loss?

That thing's toast.  Even if they could fix it, it'd never be restored to the prior condition without pretty much rebuilding it.

Just now, mad said:

Sad sight, but that’s probably not a bad idea,  any news on the rig?

The rig was apparently lost way out to sea before recovery of the hull.  So it's in Davy Jones' Locker.

10 hours ago, Gantt said:

[Interviewer:] So why did MY Song fall off?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Well, a wave hit it.

[Interviewer:] A wave hit it?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] A wave hit the ship.

[Interviewer:] Is that unusual?

[Peters & May Spokesman:] Oh, yeah… At sea? …Chance in a million

So based on the above true interview, it was caused by a wave.

Here's a wave:

Image result for queen waving gif

Can anyone confirm that it was a wave that caused it?

39 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Probably not worth saving anything, the damages (known and unknown) to the keel and box and most deck hardware means no one will want anything to do with them on a new build.

Ok, maybe the keel bulb.

Salvage sale the rest.

Curious what the odds are that Lloyd's of London could be holding the reinsurance of both the shipper and the owner. 

2 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

Song: Go And Catch A Falling Star. (seems fitting)

Poetry aside, are you sure a wave hit the ship or was it outside the environment? I mean the chances of hitting a wave in the ocean are pretty slim as mentioned above. 

It is just that the Mediterranean is known for its huge waves. You gotta admit, Liz has a little wave (but it is really powerful).

I mean it was a huge storm the other day, wasn't it? Worst storm since the 18th of June, 1815 I hear.

You are probably right, it is very clear that the ship was outside the environment.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, See Level said:

Curious what the odds are that Lloyd's of London could be holding the reinsurance of both the shipper and the owner.

Good odds but will be different syndicates. Lloyds is going through a lot of pain with syndicates pulling out of the marine line.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Good odds but will be different syndicates. Lloyds is going through a lot of pain with syndicates pulling out of the marine line.

Fuck you’d be having words with the broker if you were exposed to both sides of this. 

It's pretty common practice to empty all tanks as much as possible when shipping to reduce loads on the boat and cradle. Just leave enough fuel aboard 10% of less.

It was a write off even before you saw the hull damage. 

New rig needed.

Scrap all interior electronics/electrical anything

Maybe not scrap the engine.

Scrap all Interior woodwork 

mysong130_16cb_00571-e1556864548816.jpg

What is left is the hull shell and keel. And now that is fucked too...

1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

The rig was apparently lost way out to sea before recovery of the hull.  So it's in Davy Jones' Locker.

Presumably sails etc would be in separate container (or 10)?

Would make sense to re-build something the same size given the cost of that lot.

3 hours ago, Parma said:

Wow, those photos really show a lot more damage than I might have suspected. I wonder if that is a total loss?

Damage look to be at where the braces (still not calling it a cradle) were.

Very sad.  Can't believe she didn't sink.  Latest presser has P&M blaming the My Song's crew.  

21 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Very sad.  Can't believe she didn't sink.  Latest presser has P&M blaming the My Song's crew.  

So P&M's highly expert loading team, the Chief Officer (responsible for cargo) and the Captain or any third party representing the insurer didn't inspect and sign off on this exceptional load before they sailed?  Or did they?

Oh, dear.

• Like 2

Peters and May could really do with listening to their legal department, shuttling up and hiring a PR company. Whoever is to blame, they’re not looking good with the way they’re handling this. 

• Like 8

Brings me to another question, namely who decided to sail into bad weather?

The weather was known when they left Palma, and the captain would have considered the risk of damage with his precious deck cargo. Did he perhaps consider delaying his departure or taking a longer route to avoid the worst of the weather? They were under pressure to get to Genoa in time for My Song to get ready and make for Sardinia for the the owner's regatta.

Did perhaps the owner or his captain/manager press Peters and May to proceed, was the owners rep perhaps onboard the ship, or perhaps that obstinate P&M CEO, who in his first news bulletin literary said he "instructed the captain of the MV BRATTINGSBORG to attempt salvage" also put undue pressure on the captain?

Valid questions for sure, not just speculation or conspiracy theories.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

The big question is now that it has been salvaged,  where will it end up?  Someone will buy it for a "SONG"............................:P

I'm sure someone will buy it for a song, rebuilding her on the other hand will take some serious cash probably the equivalent of getting Baltic to build you a new one.

To begin with,  you can probably throw the interior away, then the wiring, machinery remembering of course that baltic installed all  that before dropping a deck/superstructure on top of it all.

You will have to have deep pockets and a perverted sadomasicist streak to embark upon it.

But you know somebody might:rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Gantt said:

Probably can salvage some of the gin and rum etc. <_<Too valuable to scrap, too expensive to fix properly.

Might just have to drink it straight.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Zonker said:

It's pretty common practice to empty all tanks as much as possible when shipping to reduce loads on the boat and cradle. Just leave enough fuel aboard 10% of less.

New rig needed.

A rather pedestrian looking interior. I take it that's the crew lounge ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Essex said:

So I guess racing a superyacht with a stripped out interior is not quite the done thing ???

It's usually stated that there must be a certain level of 'interior' when racing in superyacht regattas - boats like Laidlaw's Highlind Fling XV and a lot of the Wally class push this to the limit though.... 

• Like 1

"They confirmed that the yacht's cradling system had been discharged and was undergoing inspection." (from here)

I guess that means the cradle was released after arrest. 

Good to know they salvaged the cradle, but nobody has reported why it fell off in the first place.

Maybe the transport ship had a large cat.

Image result for cat knocks toy off table

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

To begin with,  you can probably throw the interior away, then the wiring, machinery remembering of course that baltic installed all  that before dropping a deck/superstructure on top of it all.

I would not trust also a core that has been dipped into seawater... who knows how much water in inside the sandwich...

Cheerz

5 hours ago, Gantt said:

"They confirmed that the yacht's cradling system had been discharged and was undergoing inspection." (from here)

I guess that means the cradle was released after arrest. 

Good to know they salvaged the cradle, but nobody has reported why it fell off in the first place.

Maybe the transport ship had a large cat.

Image result for cat knocks toy off table

Captain - The giant sea-cat reached up from below and claimed Song, to her litter box under the waves.   That's my story and I am sticking with it!

- Stumbling

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Zonker said:

New rig needed.

Wow, that is nicely done.

3 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Captain - The giant sea-cat reached up from below and claimed Song, to her litter box under the waves.   That's my story and I am sticking with it!

- Stumbling

Release the "Catken". Sorry. :( 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Gantt said:

Give it a couple years and we'll see her in Cruising Anarchy in the "Zombie Fleet" or "Mocking Ads on Craigslist" thread.

• Like 3

So any more news from SA peeps in Palma?  

Disappeared into a shed (unlikely as they're in short supply), or propped up on stands somewhere in a corner with a vanity fence round her (more likely)?

Anyone knows who's doing the survey?  KSN would be a good bet.

8 hours ago, P_Wop said:

So any more news from SA peeps in Palma?  

Disappeared into a shed (unlikely as they're in short supply), or propped up on stands somewhere in a corner with a vanity fence round her (more likely)?

Anyone knows who's doing the survey?  KSN would be a good bet.

Propped up in the yard looking pretty horrendous - I think the owner and assessors were on-site yesterday. Tried uploading a picture but it failed, not much new to see.

I met a friend who works for the Peters and May office here in Palma - asked how they were doing and just a big sigh in response, regardless of their CEOs statements I think it's been a rough week for the staff....

• Like 1
On 6/3/2019 at 4:10 PM, Gantt said:

Salt water probably got into the bar. Probably can salvage some of the gin and rum etc. <_<

Damage doesn't look structural, though who can tell with pictures.

“May end up in someone's backyard as a DIY project.”

Mighty large backyard

What is the most likely type of insurance coverage for a boat like this? Replacement value, market value or an agreed value?

Or will it not matter because everyone will have to chip in some?

Seems like market value is 16-22M USD

On 6/3/2019 at 5:24 PM, Zonker said:

New rig needed.

fuck,  you could fit my boat inside there without the mast..

3 hours ago, Parma said:

What is the most likely type of insurance coverage for a boat like this? Replacement value, market value or an agreed value?

Agreed value, most definitely. Hull insurer will pay owner, then go after the shippers for damages. 

3 minutes ago, Mark Set said:

Agreed value, most definitely. Hull insurer will pay owner, then go after the shippers for damages. 

That’s going to be a fun conversation with the CEO of Peters and May. 

2 hours ago, Mark Set said:

Would not say definitely, it will depend on the policy wording in place and who underwrites this, a lot of insurers go by market value and obtain a PAV (Pre Accident Valuation) which forms the basis for settlement.

Hull insurer will pay out and then ping all parties liability insurers, Shipper, shipping Company cradle manufacturers,  assemblers  the strap manufacturers (why did they "slip") the list will be long, it will drag out in legal land for at least a couple of years and in the end,  only the lawyers will be happy

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Navig8tor said:

Would not say definitely, it will depend on the policy wording in place and who underwrites this, a lot of insurers go by market value and obtain a PAV (Pre Accident Valuation) which forms the basis for settlement.

Hull insurer will pay out and then ping all parties liability insurers, Shipper, shipping Company cradle manufacturers,  assemblers  the strap manufacturers (why did they "slip") the list will be long, it will drag out in legal land for at least a couple of years and in the end,  only the lawyers will be happy

The lawyers should be able to buy themselves nice boats with the legal bills on this one! 

I suppose the owner can also sue P&M, and everybody else for the cost of a boat for him to sail about while his new boat is being build.

Like Melnichenko, "As for the biggest item in the Melnichenkos' bill, the cost of a boat for them to sail about while Yacht A is laid up for repainting".

https://amp.businessinsider.com/heres-the-latest-in-a-russian-oligarchs-100-million-yacht-paint-lawsuit-2013-12

It looks like the article is mixing up the lawsuits of his previous yacht and that new horrendously looking Yacht A, the guy is suing everybody all the time.

It also looks like Pier Piana is a much too nice and aristocratic man to start suing everybody, and might accept the insurance settlement, and get on with his good life.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Antoine31 said:

An insurance contract  can be written in numerous ways.  In the end you get what you pay for. 

2 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Less your excess which in this case will be reasonable chunk of change.

Your excess will be a big chunk of change, but it will be worth every cent. 

The thing will be, will he go for the same design again or will he upgrade to a bigger and better Boat ?

I once had a owner who’s Boat burnt to the water line only hours after it arrived in Melbourne and the builder stepped straight in and told him the next 78 foot out of the mould was his including the upgrades he did at the cost of the insurance payout and he ended up upgrading to a 88 footer. 

So what’s this owner going to do ?

Pulpit

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Parma said:

I know a lot of people have said it will be an insurance write off, but we have yet to hear that.

Wondering, with such a high payout, that the insurance company may insist on having MY Song repaired - if possible and if a few million dollars can be saved.

Agree with the comment above that many lives like the crew and the builders are affected. Laughter provides some welcome relief, so long as it not at anyone's expense.

Wondering if we will ever hear how MY Song actually fell off. Not being secured properly is one thing, but it wouldn't have just fallen off the ship without cause.

I'd rather live in a world where we can all learn by mistakes made, and that means some degree of openness and honesty.

3 minutes ago, Gantt said:

I know a lot of people have said it will be an insurance write off, but we have yet to hear that.

Wondering, with such a high payout, that the insurance company may insist on having MY Song repaired - if possible and if a few million dollars can be saved.

Agree with the comment above that many lives like the crew and the builders are affected. Laughter provides some welcome relief, so long as it not at anyone's expense.

Wondering if we will ever hear how MY Song actually fell off. Not being secured properly is one thing, but it wouldn't have just fallen off the ship without cause.

I'd rather live in a world where we can all learn by mistakes made, and that means some degree of openness and honesty.

Doubt if the insurance co will insist on a fix because that means they have to get involved in rebuilding the boat, given the size of the project and how easily costs can blow up it would take an insurance co with gonads the size of godzilla to take on that risk.

One option they may take is pay PLLP out, and then see if he wants to "buy" the boat back off them ( once insurance companies settle a claim they "own" the asset), they don't necessarily want to do that however and if PLLP now flush with a payout then buys the wreck for cents on the dollar and ships it back to Baltic it might be a win/win.

Then again he might just runaway and build a newer faster sexier one, and who could blame him.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

Doubt if the insurance co will insist on a fix because that means they have to get involved in rebuilding the boat, given the size of the project and how easily costs can blow up it would take an insurance co with gonads the size of godzilla to take on that risk.

One option they may take is pay PLLP out, and then see if he wants to "buy" the boat back off them ( once insurance companies settle a claim they "own" the asset), they don't necessarily want to do that however and if PLLP now flush with a payout then buys the wreck for cents on the dollar and ships it back to Baltic it might be a win/win.

Then again he might just runaway and build a newer faster sexier one, and who could blame him.

Depends on the actual structural damage, and the ingress of salt water into the foam etc.

But, yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you, it seems unlikely to be a fix.

Point is (speaking for myself and nobody else) is that I don't actually know. One thing is for sure. It will be big bucks.

2 minutes ago, Gantt said:

Depends on the actual structural damage, and the ingress of salt water into the foam etc.

But, yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you, it seems unlikely to be a fix.

Point is (speaking for myself and nobody else) is that I don't actually. know. One thing is for sure. It will be big bucks.

Ye$ it will be $BIG,000,000.00

To do properly, full structural evaluation, ideally ship it back to Baltic (hopefully tied down well this time on a certified cradle), repair outer skin and any water damaged core,  jack the deck off, gut the interior, wiring and machinery, then start again-oh we almost forgot, and a new rig and sails......... easy......... if you got the spare millions

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Gantt said:

No friggin' way. Too much trouble and insurance don’t care about the boat, they want a settlement to get out from under.  

The wreck will get sold to slightly recover the settlement. 

As for the cause of the calamity, we already know the cradle collapsed from photos earlier in this thread. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Frumious Bandersnatch said:

As for the cause of the calamity, we already know the cradle collapsed from photos earlier in this thread. 

I didn't, I missed that. All I could find was a statement that MY Song wasn't secured properly. Thanks!! :) 

9 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

I suppose the owner can also sue P&M, and everybody else for the cost of a boat for him to sail about while his new boat is being build.

Like Melnichenko, "As for the biggest item in the Melnichenkos' bill, the cost of a boat for them to sail about while Yacht A is laid up for repainting".

https://amp.businessinsider.com/heres-the-latest-in-a-russian-oligarchs-100-million-yacht-paint-lawsuit-2013-12

It looks like the article is mixing up the lawsuits of his previous yacht and that new horrendously looking Yacht A, the guy is suing everybody all the time.

It also looks like Pier Piana is a much too nice and aristocratic man to start suing everybody, and might accept the insurance settlement, and get on with his good life.

Cunts like that deserve to be blacklisted by every yard, supplier and harbour in the world. 

Take your boat and fuck off. 

• Like 1

Guys, 

Have some of you stopped to think what it will cost to rebuild the boat ?

Hard stand fees now will be $1000 - 2000 + per week minimum 

Under cover Shed hire to rebuild the boat in will be $2000 - 4000 per week minimum and this job would be 6 months + minimum.

Wages for labor. A boat this size will need 10 - 15 man full time to strip and gut, make new parts and then fitting out. 6 months +

Design and consultancy fees alone will end up being in the millions and they still may write the boat off then.

Now let’s move the boat back to the builder. I can see $500,000 min 

Now let’s look at some of the basic parts needed. 

New 56 m mast and rigging. I can see $5 million + just in that.

You would have to replace the keel fin after the mast would of given it a flogging. A Volvo 70 fin was $400,000 or so on BJ, so what’s a 130 foot boats fin worth. 

Replacement motor, deck gear, winch servicing / motor replacement if electric, electronics etc ........

Now let’s start buying the fitting out the materials ?

The $$$$$ just keep on mounting up and the insurance company will still have to warranty all repairs on a suspect Boat and the owner will then have trouble when it comes time to selling it as well because everyone knows it has had major damage so who will buy it. 

It will be written off as the insurance company just will not want the on going liabilities. I pity the next owner getting insurance for it if it is ever rebuild.

Pulpit 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, pulpit said:

Guys, 

Have some of you stopped to think what it will cost to rebuild the boat ?

Hard stand fees now will be $1000 - 2000 + per week minimum 

Under cover Shed hire to rebuild the boat in will be $2000 - 4000 per week minimum and this job would be 6 months + minimum.

Wages for labor. A boat this size will need 10 - 15 man full time to strip and gut, make new parts and then fitting out. 6 months +

Design and consultancy fees alone will end up being in the millions and they still may write the boat off then.

Now let’s move the boat back to the builder. I can see $500,000 min 

Now let’s look at some of the basic parts needed. 

New 56 m mast and rigging. I can see $5 million + just in that.

You would have to replace the keel fin after the mast would of given it a flogging. A Volvo 70 fin was $400,000 or so on BJ, so what’s a 130 foot boats fin worth. 

Replacement motor, deck gear, winch servicing / motor replacement if electric, electronics etc ........

Now let’s start buying the fitting out the materials ?

The $$$$$ just keep on mounting up and the insurance company will still have to warranty all repairs on a suspect Boat and the owner will then have trouble when it comes time to selling it as well because everyone knows it has had major damage so who will buy it. 

It will be written off as the insurance company just will not want the on going liabilities. I pity the next owner getting insurance for it if it is ever rebuild.

Pulpit 

Exactly, nobody in their right mind is going to want to own that boat after the dunking.  The current owner and Baltic would probably much rather see it disposed of and never spoken off again, Peters and May as well I would think.

There's probably some serious damage to the shrouds and or fore-stay bulkheads etc from the mast being torn out/off as well.  The thing will be a patch-work quilt of repairs and nobody will want to offer any sort of warrenty.

Apparently Baltic have quite a lull in production once their latest yachts (Liara and Canova) are completed - both have been splashed already. What looked like a quiet summer may get much busier for them....

6 minutes ago, NZK said:

Apparently Baltic have quite a lull in production once their latest yachts (Liara and Canova) are completed - both have been splashed already. What looked like a quiet summer may get much busier for them....

It'll more than just the summer to build another one.

This is DEFINITELY agreed value. This is not written on some GEICO policy bullshit. This will DEFINITELY be a constructive total loss, with the insurer taking the salvage. Otherwise they will get sued like a motherfucker. I've seen yachts in much better shape than this get totaled. Of course terms can be written in a lot of different ways, but considering this yacht I can hardly imagine it was done any other way.

Many bridges to cross with many obstacles.

44 minutes ago, Mark Set said:

I've seen yachts in much better shape than this get totaled.

'Tis but a scratch.

5 hours ago, mad said:

Exactly, nobody in their right mind is going to want to own that boat after the dunking. 

Yet some fight on anyway.

Insurance is renewed yearly, whatever type of insurance the owner originally had may have changed since then.

I'm always getting changes to my insurances; my boat insurer even took my agreed upon value policy from A to B on the logic that it was not worth what the original policy said anymore.

I could very easily see office droids in a conforming tilt-up building in an industrial park somewhere adjusting every policy every year in favor of the insurer.

Fact is a brand new boat in that size can be purchased for 16-22M USD and I don't see insurance co's paying out more than that willingly.

My guess she is already written off. The landfill is at the other side of the island from memory so now just a case of insurer auctioning it off to avoid the cost and hassle of recovering some gear and chopping it up and hiring a few trucks.

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

Too cheap/sloppy seconds for a billionaire to accept, too expensive to repair/refurbish/operate for "mere millionaires"

Like an old aircraft carrier it'll be best scrapped. 

in the case of treating it like an old aircraft carrier, selling it to the Chinese and letting them re-purpose it is the normal practice. :)

23 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

My guess she is already written off. The landfill is at the other side of the island from memory so now just a case of insurer auctioning it off to avoid the cost and hassle of recovering some gear and chopping it up and hiring a few trucks.

If that's the decision? I'd like to think that the local authorities there would tell them to haul the piece of shit of their island and do it somewhere else.

• Like 1
On 6/3/2019 at 8:18 PM, Antoine31 said:

Is it really all about who benefits?   Let's face it, back in the good old days yachting really was something for very rich people. Just look at some of the boats for sale at Sandeman Yacht Co. Many of them were the super yachts of their day. They cost a fortune to build and maintain, but they were and are magnificent.   Have a look at the 147 ft. Charles Nicholson schooner (1910, POA).  As far as I'm concerned, they enrich all our lives today. 

Not everywhere, in Brittany racing was initially a fisherman sport. Races were organised with enough prize money to distract them from their fishing. I think that Bretons were even racing Normans for free, each of them being proud enough to want to prove that they were better sailors than the neighbour.

Interesting that you mention Brittany.  I'm rereading Le Toumelin's , "Kurun  Around the world" at the moment.  He did some fishing for awhile as you describe before setting off on his "yacht."   I guess there's yachting and there's yachting. 

5 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Not everywhere, in Brittany racing was initially a fisherman sport. Races were organised with enough prize money to distract them from their fishing. I think that Bretons were even racing Normans for free, each of them being proud enough to want to prove that they were better sailors than the neighbour.

The fishermen in Luneburg Nova Scotia new some things about racing.

200330654.jpg

• Like 2