New law: only motorized dinghy landing allowed

New anti-live aboard law in my area, apparently (based on reliable hearsay, and a history of what is basically anti-boater sentiment, but not 100% confirmed yet - will call local gov’t today).  

The rationale is to prevent easy access to shore and thereby prevent anyone from staying aboard an anchored/moored boat (because dragging a heavy, motorized dinghy high enough up the beach is difficult).  (And, effectively, this gives money to the nearest marina, since prohibiting beach landings by non-motorized dinghies means you need a motorized one, and thus a place to store/launch it.)  So, technically, someone who car-tops a kayak to the beach, launches it and paddles out to check on her boat, then returns to shore, lands and puts kayak back on car to bring home, is in contravention of the law.

This is fucked, in my view.  (And completely screws me b/c I can’t really afford year-round marina fees and have been dinghying out to our sailboat in the summer for years.)

Thoughts?  Has anyone ever heard of a law like this?!

Ok, false alarm.  Someone misinterpreted or misunderstood a related bylaw about dinghy storage/temporary landing time...and subsequent discussion on a local FB page (I’m embarrassed now) by folks sounding knowledgeable (but they weren’t!!) proceeded to make it sound legit.  “Won’t be fooled again!” :-)

Archived