Buying Hydroptere, fastest ocean going trimaran

This is a call to anyone planning on saving this piece of history,

Ingenuity and the goal of pushing human limits is a understatement of Hydroptere's existence, she wasn't purposely  abandoned in Hawaii, her owner pushed his financial resources to the edge in the passion of establishing  another record. Her failure was due to a non cooperating weather window, and lack of support from a country that doesn't think much of sailing. 

The call is for anyone brave enough to save her to PLEASE CONTACT ME, as I don't want to be the one person to save her, I have $8k left on my last credit card, AND if I have to I will use my meager resources to save her, the auction is a legal move to establish ownership for the goal of cutting her up.

I get the logistics are overwhelming, I don't really care that most of the world walks away or runs from the thought of saving her, when we are dead and gone nobody will care, but Hydroptere is the best of what human beings can be.

Stephen Marcoe 

R2akteamgoldenoldies 

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy wife, happy life! So Hydroptere got away from me, but the wife is happy.  the night before the auction there was $200k on the table, with mutual respect, the conclusion was, what Hydro

Arrival 00h54 19NOV in SAN FRANCISCO.  Note Alcatraz in foreground

I admire Stephen a whole lot more than some of you armchair wankers. He has great taste in unusual boats and has kept many of them from going to the wreckers. Hydroptere may be a has-been, but it hold

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, multihuler said:

she wasn't purposely  abandoned in Hawaii, her owner pushed his financial resources to the edge in the passion of establishing  another record. Her failure was due to a non cooperating weather window, and lack of support from a country that doesn't think much of sailing. 

That's not true.  Her failure was due to the same thing responsible for almost all her (and the other mooted projects') failures - her owner's lack of organization and a vague idealism that 'it will all work out' because of birds and unicorns.  

That doesn't mean she doesn't deserve saving as Hydroptere is a legitimately historic sailing vessel, but unless she's somehow brought back to france and turned into a floating museum, she will probably end up a tourist raft.

Anyone know:

1) Whether auction price alone eliminates all liens?  Or are there marina back-fees or other yet to be added?
2) What is left?  Sails?  Sounded from elsewhere that winches and electronics have been stripped.
3) What is monthly cost where she lies? 

@multihuler it is not that hard to set up a crowdfunding page.  When is that auction again?  Is there time?

I think the effort would need a local Hawaiian involved for now.  OR serious money.  Then a low-cost spot to park on the west coast, say.

I followed Hydroptere for years (decades?), through multiple iterations.  Part of the reason I own a (non-foiling) multi now... yes, a shame if she is chopped for the dumpster.

OMG.  The internet version of watching a train wreck in slow motion.  I would not hold my breadth waiting for that phone call.

Or...

Maybe you could talk Doug Lord into it because you know... RC pond boats only go so far and he is the Lord of foils.  I think I need colors and caps in this post but not sure why??

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

That's not true.  Her failure was due to the same thing responsible for almost all her (and the other mooted projects') failures - her owner's lack of organization and a vague idealism that 'it will all work out' because of birds and unicorns.  

That doesn't mean she doesn't deserve saving as Hydroptere is a legitimately historic sailing vessel, but unless she's somehow brought back to france and turned into a floating museum, she will probably end up a tourist raft.

Lack of organization? @#/=÷÷ I tried that twice just doing the race to Alaska, easy to talk about it, Hydroptere couldn't take much more effort than going to the moon.

It is mutual mindset and a whole lot of money,  I admire the guy that beat himself just getting to the start.

And what, Who doesn't like unicorns?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, multihuler said:

Lack of organization? @#/=÷÷ I tried that twice just doing the race to Alaska, easy to talk about it, Hydroptere couldn't take much more effort than going to the moon.

It is mutual mindset and a whole lot of money,  I admire the guy that beat himself just getting to the start.

And what, Who doesn't like unicorns?

I did a long interview with Alain back in maybe 2011.  He is a lovely guy who lives on another planet.

Problem with the most recent effort is that it was really a fundraiser for a future effort,  which is the kind of ponzi scheme that rarely succeeds, especially when the current effort was a tired, agricultural, obsolete piece of tech.  Thibault tried to keep the thing going long after he proved that it wasn't going anywhere, and after French sponsors had already told him to fuck off.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, spankoka said:

Everything you do in Hawaii is going cost much more than in the lower 48.

and everything you do on an oversquare 60' trimaran with a 11' draft that's been deteriorating in the tropical sun for XX months is going to cost much more than ANYTHING ELSE YOU EVER DO

And it will still be slower than 5k worth of foiling kiteboard

11 minutes ago, spankoka said:

This is a project for someone with an "open chequebook". Everything you do in Hawaii is going cost much more than in the lower 48.

Hell, I am going to die broke anyway.

Three options;

Kite her back, bringing a Yamaha 9.9 with a lot of gas.

Disassemble her, go deck cargo, preferably to France

Pop open a beer and call it your new home

19 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I did a long interview with Alain back in maybe 2011.  He is a lovely guy who lives on another planet.

Problem with the most recent effort is that it was really a fundraiser for a future effort,  which is the kind of ponzi scheme that rarely succeeds, especially when the current effort was a tired, agricultural, obsolete piece of tech.  Thibault tried to keep the thing going long after he proved that it wasn't going anywhere, and after French sponsors had already told him to fuck off.

So, can i have Alain's phone number?

And look what humans have done to this planet,  a ongoing nuclear disaster is going on and it's not on the news?  Can't blame him for wanting off, even if it only 10 feet

Love ya man.  In a safe internet kinda way.  I gather you have been through some shit nobody should have to go through and for everyone I know who has... it changes them.

Don't do this.  Its a colossally bad idea.

Peace.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, multihuler said:

So, can i have Alain's phone number?

And look what humans have done to this planet,  a ongoing nuclear disaster is going on and it's not on the news?  Can't blame him for wanting off, even if it only 10 feet

my contacts list says his skype is Alain.Tibo, though it has literally been years since we spoke.  

To me a boat like this is like a SR-71; a truly beautiful  piece of engineering and human ingenuity but also not attainable by the average person. I can only dream of what it would be like to streak across the earth in one of these but also know that I will likely never get the chance.  

It was an amazing boat and it is sad to see it meet the end it will likely face but newer and better designs will come.

47 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

and everything you do on an oversquare 60' trimaran with a 11' draft that's been deteriorating in the tropical sun for XX months is going to cost much more than ANYTHING ELSE YOU EVER DO

And it will still be slower than 5k worth of foiling 

18 minutes ago, impetuous_donkey said:

To me a boat like this is like a SR-71; a truly beautiful  piece of engineering and human ingenuity but also not attainable by the average person. I can only dream of what it would be like to streak across the earth in one of these but also know that I will likely never get the chance.  

It was an amazing boat and it is sad to see it meet the end it will likely face but newer and better designs will come.

Right, and THE SR71 is in a museum!

Dude, how many other multihulls do you already own that you are trying to sell?

Step back from the keyboard. Freeze your credit card into a block of ice in a neighbor's freezer.

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Step back from the keyboard. Freeze your credit card into a block of ice in a neighbor's freezer.

7 minutes ago, Zonker said:

What are you saving your life for?

My wife and I sailed/cruised  for 4 years in our 20's/30's. Then in our 40's we spent 8 years sailing around the world.

I'm saving for a real retirement now because we retired early and often.

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, basketcase said:

Mate.... take that last 8k and give half of it to your favourite charity. Take the other half and have a beer or 700.

You will be farther ahead, and the boat will be in a better place. 

We run a charity in our daughters name.

Lexie's gift

3 hours ago, multihuler said:

... she wasn't purposely  abandoned in Hawaii, her owner pushed his financial resources to the edge in the passion of establishing  another record. Her failure was due to a non cooperating weather window, and lack of support from a country that doesn't think much of sailing. ...

That's curious.  That SAME month Lending Club rode a fine window to a record crossing from CA to Honolulu.

Why do you think the public should support this endeavor ? 

4 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

That's curious.  That SAME month Lending Club rode a fine window to a record crossing from CA to Honolulu.

Yeah because weather windows for sub 5 day attempts stay open for weeks on end....

Re:  Weather windows

Okay - so....bear with me here but....

If

YOU had that boat on the West Coast Launch pad and had waited,  what - a year ?  - for that opportunity AND you might not have the budget for the best weather router in the world.

AND, Lending Club was also standing by for the same thing...

Wouldn't you just have somebody keep an eye on the maxi tri ?   Soon as you see folks bringing cartons of fresh Galouises cigarettes aboard you KNOW the French are on the move - time to GO.

Or,  do you think you're just smarter than those guys ?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

Why do people support our politics and churches that molest children, i guess for the adventure of it?

10 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

Re:  Weather windows

Okay - so....bear with me here but....

If

YOU had that boat on the West Coast Launch pad and had waited,  what - a year ?  - for that opportunity AND you might not have the budget for the best weather router in the world.

AND, Lending Club was also standing by for the same thing...

Wouldn't you just have somebody keep an eye on the maxi tri ?   Soon as you see folks bringing cartons of fresh Galouises cigarettes aboard you KNOW the French are on the move - time to GO.

Or,  do you think you're just smarter than those guys ?

who are you talking to exactly?

4 hours ago, multihuler said:

This is a call to anyone planning on saving this piece of history,

Ingenuity and the goal of pushing human limits is a understatement of Hydroptere's existence, she wasn't purposely  abandoned in Hawaii, her owner pushed his financial resources to the edge in the passion of establishing  another record. Her failure was due to a non cooperating weather window, and lack of support from a country that doesn't think much of sailing. 

The call is for anyone brave enough to save her to PLEASE CONTACT ME, as I don't want to be the one person to save her, I have $8k left on my last credit card, AND if I have to I will use my meager resources to save her, the auction is a legal move to establish ownership for the goal of cutting her up.

I get the logistics are overwhelming, I don't really care that most of the world walks away or runs from the thought of saving her, when we are dead and gone nobody will care, but Hydroptere is the best of what human beings can be.

Stephen Marcoe 

R2akteamgoldenoldies 

Stephen, I wish I could help-it's a noble and important thing you're contemplating doing. Consider contacting the Money /people behind Gitana 17, Macif and Sodebo. Stress the historical value to the French people and to their legacy of multihull innovation. Best of luck!

5 minutes ago, Doug Lord said:

Stephen, I wish I could help-it's a noble and important thing you're contemplating doing. Consider contacting the Money /people behind Gitana 17, Macif and Sodebo. Stress the historical value to the French people and to their legacy of multihull innovation. Best of luck!

I have interest in Europe, time is of the essence 

• Like 1

I think she deserves to live and forwarded the info to Voiles et Voiliers, I am not sure if I was the first one to give them the info : https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/bateau/hydroptere/hydroptere-voulez-vous-acheter-un-bateau-volant-legendaire-pour-une-poignee-de-dollars-15e94196-814e-11e9-a013-8d6f55235c24

I hope that somebody saves her, she was so ahead of her time 25 years ago that she deserves it IMHO. Unfortunately my pockets aren't deep enough to give anything more than a bit of time!

• Like 2

The last trip (bad weather window not withstanding) was with the guy who runs Project Kiteboat. He was a partner in MAKANI and had gotten a couple of $5,000,000 grants from Google and DARPA for the flying windgenerator. Then he built the worlds dream MONSTER GARAGE for boats at the Alameda Navy Station when the AC 72's were just learning to foil. I spent a week out there with them and there were sure a lot of AC guys snooping around the Kiteboat shop. 

Jacque Vincent was still there in SF with Hydroptere and offered me a ride but the money from Picard had run out. Kiteboat had me designing a concept for a kite foiler around 45' to try and do the first LA-Honolulu run and they decided to give it a try with the Hydroptere first. With all the distractions with all the boats and kites and other pet projects at KiteBoat, the breadwinner operation at MAKANI was sort of left floundering and Google paid off the KiteBoat guy so there was no lack of cash for the Hydroptere stunt. 

The problem with the Hawaii run was that the reaching angles to try and stay on foils for that big heavy beast meant that they were just jibing back and forth making little downwind VMG. Look at the chart!

Screen-Shot-2015-07-04-at-4.16.54-AM.png

A gung ho and experienced crew but not really thrilled after a slow start. Sort of a Hare and the Tortoise situation.

They had the boat looking pretty good with some minor sponsorship.

20150621_WEB-4365-1200x800.jpg

I get the impression that after that torturous crawl to Hawaii, everyone just got off and got on the next jet plane.  BTW, Gino Morelli was doing a daycharter cat delivery from SF to Waikiki at the same time and had the same dead down doldrums and almost ran out of food! 20 days I think it took.

As to multihuler, how did the outboard and lots of fuel option work out for you on the Maine Cat trip? 

• Like 1

Okay, let me put it another way - yours is the sort of attitude that made me walk away from racing offshore multis because of the aggressive one-eyed arrogance shown by an unfortunate number of the people in that community where I sailed. The embarrassment came after the racing, when the mono sailors who had welcomed us were friendly and I recalled the abuse my skipper (and others of his ilk) had used about all of them and all of their boats.

Your post to Clean is a classic example. He sails multis and monos but you chose to use one aspect of his experience to use as an insult.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Curious said:

Your post to Clean is a classic example. He sails multis and monos but you chose to use one aspect of his experience to use as an insult.

What made me chuckle is that Clean sailed on Nice Pair many years before multihuler bought her.

10 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

What made me chuckle is that Clean sailed on Nice Pair many years before multihuler bought her.

i have no issues with multihuler.  pretty sure he was just screwing with me 'cause he knows I used to sail on his boat.

1 hour ago, Curious said:

Okay, let me put it another way - yours is the sort of attitude that made me walk away from racing offshore multis because of the aggressive one-eyed arrogance shown by an unfortunate number of the people in that community where I sailed. The embarrassment came after the racing, when the mono sailors who had welcomed us were friendly and I recalled the abuse my skipper (and others of his ilk) had used about all of them and all of their boats.

Your post to Clean is a classic example. He sails multis and monos but you chose to use one aspect of his experience to use as an 

I am just trying to save a special boat, don't really care what people sail,  and arrogance isn't owned by the shape of a boats hull. 

That's why the R2AK race is so much fun, everyone wins

My pitch was to assist the rescue, nothing more

The good news is this SA post has gone around the world and there is lots of interest in France to bring her home!  

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, multihuler said:

The good news is this SA post has gone around the world and there is lots of interest in France to bring her home!  

It is good news, but try not to get your hopes up.  Everything about this thing is complicated and anyone french with the money to do this knows it.  The key will be to get a local french government aboard with the project to donate some space for her.

Just now, multihuler said:

I am still at swimming over to her, pop a beer, and watch the girls on the beach, never been to Hawaii

do that..... just dont buy that. sometimes things just need to die a peaceful death.

2 minutes ago, basketcase said:

beautiful, mate. beautiful.

now step away from the wrecked boat/dream.

2 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

You won't see any girls on the beach from where the Hydroptere sits. Obviously you have never been to Hawaii. Your beer will be warm after that long swim with it. 

That's ok, I like warm beer and my wife told me I couldn't go without her, I was just bragging.

Just now, Rasputin22 said:

I have a client who might partner up with you on the Hydroptere. He has looked at the boat in Hawaii and lives there himself. He might have a cold Mai Tai for you if you are serious.

J, yes I would like the contact.

Thanks

40 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

You won't see any girls on the beach from where the Hydroptere sits. Obviously you have never been to Hawaii. Your beer will be warm after that long swim with it. 

No, but you'll have a nice view of the sewer treatment plant.

Something I haven't seen mentioned:

Record breaking boats aren't built to last. It doesn't matter if they fall apart after the finish line, and many of them do.

All the other issues aside, you could buy this boat and every time you sail it, another part will break. You could spend more money maintianing it than you would spend building a new one from scratch.

It's a cool boat. Possibly worth $8,000, but it will probably cost you $800,000 to break another record.

9 hours ago, Hawaiidart said:

Last time I was down that way there were a couple of strip clubs opposite the marina entrance  There was a Westmarine there too which seemed appropriate

I thought that someone said way back when they first arrived that the crew indicated that boat was making bad noises by the time they arrived in Hawaii, thus indicating that the boat was no longer safe to sail (as much as a foiler could be considered "safe.")

So is this just a save for a museum or a major rebuild in order to fly again?

- Stumbling

1 minute ago, stumblingthunder said:

I thought that someone said way back when they first arrived that the crew indicated that boat was making bad noises by the time they arrived in Hawaii, thus indicating that the boat was no longer safe to sail (as much as a foiler could be considered "safe.")

So is this just a save for a museum or a major rebuild in order to fly again?

- Stumbling

I think it's more of an "I have impulse control issues and I'll somehow figure it out within the 3 day must-vacate-after-purchase clause".

• Like 1

Yeah, except for the whole fly across an ocean with my last dollar to buy something sight-unseen that hundreds of other dreamers have already passed up. This is a spectacularly bad decision and I can't wait to watch it play out.

I will say this: Multihuler's wife is either a saint or a sadist. They sound like a very fun couple.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, savoir said:

Last time I was down that way there were a couple of strip clubs opposite the marina entrance  There was a Westmarine there too which seemed appropriate

only one of them drains your account without any potential pleasure from the transaction...

• Like 1

As a reminder, the original schooner America survived from 1851 to 1942, when the shed she was stored in was crushed by snow.

The remains were broken up and buried after the conclusion of the then current war.

My point is that, no matter how historic a vessel is, once past the point of reasonable salvage there's nothing you can do.
https://www.soundingsonline.com/voices/the-inglorious-demise-of-the-cups-namesake-yacht

14 hours ago, Hawaiidart said:

That's not really fair.  From her mooring you DO have a fine view of a tank farm though.

She was on her mooring last night, waiting patiently.

36 minutes ago, longy said:

Did you see any evidence that she has been stripped?  Hard to imagine the denizens of losers lagoon have left it untouched for so long.

I've heard people say as much - and likewise I can't imagine ANYTHING parked out there unattended for a couple years WOULDN'T get picked clean like a Thanksgiving turkey carcass,  but I'm not at all familiar with what it had to begin with,  nor do I like to sail into the mooring field, let alone the back row of it - to get a very close look.  The big T foil rudder can be seen from the fairway,  but the last time I did a fly-by was months back - it's condition as you'd expect from several years under Hawaiian sun and the flight path of HNL INTL.

I always really liked this crazy concept - especially that they developed it incrementally and had a small scaled version prior to super-sizing it, and that they took it on passages - I just can't imaging anyone but the most enthusiastic and well-funded to be able to really do it justice.  Race cars make lousy commuters and Bonneville salt flats speeders aren't for the faint of heart, or pocketbook - and will never make for a good mini-van.

• Like 1